User Reviews for Cyproheptadine to treat Allergic Reactions

Cyproheptadine has an average rating of 9.0 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Allergic Reactions. 88% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Cyproheptadine Rating Summary

9.0/10 average rating

Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Reactions.

Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Deezylemonsqueezy February 6, 2017

“This medication works wonders if you are looking to gain weight. I personally take these for allergies but have noticed weight change within 2 weeks of using it. I was 180 and gained 5 pounds and I'm 5'9. Not too stoked on gaining weight but I'm not disappointed either would definitely recommend if you suffer from loss of appetite or other medical conditions.”

Nummie1 November 20, 2011

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “Started this medicine 2 days ago. Slept for 14 hours straight. Hunger just kicked in and I ate a huge sandwich and drink and I'm still hungry. Changed dose to 1/2 of 4 mgs and got up this morning normally. I intend to build up slowly because of the sleepiness side effects. I intend to stay on this due to my fast metabolism and stress to get back to normal. I think it is working!”

Naj · Taken for 10 years or more April 30, 2021

“I keep Periactin (cyproheptadine hcl) on hand for the occasional bout of itching. I take it once or twice a year. When this occurs, I am utterly miserable, itching all over my body. I do not have hives or any rash. This medicine works really great to calm down the allergic reaction. It has made me very sleepy, which I welcome because I will go for hours without any sleep, scratching miserably.”

SusieAndy · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2018

“I was given this in syrup form. And it has caused me to gain at least 40 pounds!!! The only scary side effect is if you take this on a daily basis it will affect your period. I haven’t had my period in over two months and I’m not pregnant.”

Sarah_is _finally_Itch_Free! May 22, 2016

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “I had a constant itchy vaginal area for 3 months. It got worse at night. I had so many tests & tried so many products but nothing helped and they couldn't find anything wrong with me! I was at my wit's end. Finally, I was put on Periactin as it is meant to help within itchy skin. Within 2 days I was completely itch free and I've been completely fine ever since! Hooray! I have no idea what will happen when I stop but hopefully the problem has resolved itself. I also had an amazing & surprising side effect. I put on 2kgs in 2 weeks! I've been underweight my whole life and I've never been able to get past 45kgs. Right now I am 49kgs! I just can't believe it! :) The first 3 days I was terribly sleepy but all fine now. Thank you Periactin!”

sybil1234 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 15, 2017

“Took Periactin successfully back in the 1980's for a brutal allergy attack that sent me to the ER. Benadryl injection worsened it so my throat was closing then they gave me Valium injection to relax my airways. Sent me to a specialist who gave me Periactin, which cleared the hives and itching all over me, which I've now learned I'm allergic to pine and cinnamon. My MD later changed it to Atarax when I started gaining too much weight lol. Fast forward, I'm disabled with arthritis now on Mesicare, not a jolly Christmas shopper with these allergies, and my pcp tells me to take OTC allergy meds. Missing working, my allergy shots, too thin and coveting Periactin. Weight gain would be a great side effect to get some weight back. Great med.”

Nieboo December 18, 2016

“This doesn't work for me. Iv'e found an other way to gain weight. Reply if this doesn't work for you”

Anonymous October 11, 2009

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “I used Periactin for approximately 6 months to relieve an allergic reaction and it worked extremely well. It did make me drowsy though, therefore I halved the dose I was recommended.”

Codysydney · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 30, 2013

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “Brilliant for my dog allergies. Unfortunately made me vomit and hallucinate. I think I'll go back to cetirizine.”

shyflo January 1, 2016