User Reviews for Metoclopramide

Also known as: Reglan, Maxolon, Gimoti

Metoclopramide has an average rating of 4.1 out of 10 from a total of 428 ratings on Drugs.com. 30% of those users who reviewed Metoclopramide reported a positive effect, while 61% reported a negative effect.

Migraine
10.0
Summary of Metoclopramide reviews 4.1 428 reviews

Reviews for Metoclopramide

AirieBarnett · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I went to the ER for extreme nausea and vomiting. They gave me Reglan. Within minutes, I started having a psychiatric break. I had never experienced anything like it. My body wanted to rip out my IV and run from the hospital. My hands were shaking, and I couldn’t focus well enough to even make a phone call. My brain knew I was out of control, but it couldn’t stop the reaction. I felt completely helpless. I tried to explain how I felt to the doctor, and he threatened to send me to the psych ward. One of the nurses finally suggested I might be having an allergic reaction. They gave me two doses of Benadryl, and 15 minutes later I was back to myself. I will not ever take this medication, again!”

Kaleblee22 May 22, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Migraine: “I suffer from hemiplegic migraines and had a very bad attack yesterday late morning. I went to the hospital where I was given IV push of Benadryl, Toradol, and Reglan. As soon as she started the IV and walked out of the room I had a horrible feeling come over my whole body. My legs felt like they were on fire and I felt as if I was going crazy. I tried to relax and shake it off but the feeling wouldn’t go away and I became dizzy and almost delusional. I called my wife to tell her what was going on and she told me to hit the call button so I called the nurse back in and told her how I was feeling and she said the Reglan has that affect on some people. She pushed Ativan to counteract it. It was a scary feeling”

eharvell · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Migraine: “I shared the same feeling of panic after receiving an IV push of Reglan. I never had panic disorder before, but now I can’t get rid of it. I really want to get the COVID vaccine but this experience is really making me nervous. Has anyone else who had this reaction received if?”

Millie October 30, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Migraine: “DO NOT TAKE IT THIS MEDICATION!!! The doctors gave me this medication without explaining to me the common side effect of basically going insane for a short period of time. They just told me I would feel a “weird” for a little bit and then it would go away. They didn’t even ask me if I had a history of mental illness. I was expecting for me to feel drowsy or sleepy or a bit off, because that’s what feeling “weird” is supposed to feel like. But no!!! I suffered temporary insanity!!! Extreme derealization, depersonalization, depression, hopelessness, my life felt meaningless, I felt like I was dying and kept thinking about how I did not want to die!!! I felt doomed!!! I wanted to jump out of my skin and run out of the hospital!!!! I was about to rip the IV off my arm. Tremendous emotional despair and near death experience!!! It was a nightmare while being awake!! I much rather have the migraine!!!”

Carolina · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Migraine: “Worst experience of my life, it was almost fatal. Literally my nurse began crying as I was in and out. I suffer PTSD now because of this experience and am scared to go to the hospital, take medications , and especially the ER. Went in for a headache that was persistent, no other symptoms, healthy young 23 year old and had such a bad reaction from injecting this stuff into my veins within 10 minutes of showing up. Makes you question their practice and intentions. .”

Jenna May 20, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Migraine: “I went to the ER for a migraine. They gave me a migraine concoction and after they put it in my IV I started having the scariest panic attack of my life. I suffer with anxiety disorder and panic attacks, but never this extreme. I kept feeling as if I was dying and I kept telling the nurse I don’t want to die. I could not shake the feeling or calm down no matter how hard I tried and was extremely drugged . They gave me a whole bunch of Benadryl to counteract and told me it has anxiety inducing reactions on some people! I told them before they administered that I have an anxiety disorder and they still gave it to me! It took me almost an hour to calm down! I do not recommend it!”

Jacky · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Migraine: “Ok my experience is Just the same as everybody’s else’s in this site. I went to the hospital for some stomach pain and they gave me Reglan from the IV. I got paralyzed all my arm and body I couldn’t move I couldn’t talk. I just wanted to scream I felt like I was dying , I never had a panic attack in my whole life until that moment. I couldn’t breath I couldn’t dial my husbands phone number to tell him that I thought it was the end of me, that’s how bad it was I felt. It was like I was really passing out and my heart was coming out of my chest. This happened about 4 month ago. Now the problem is that since then I have all most everyday anxiety for no reasons, panic attacks for no reason I feel agitated and always have the fear that something is wrong with me and afraid I may pass away and leave my kids behind. Did any of you experience the same thing as I am and can’t get out of this anxiety?? Please send me some answers if the side affects persists for a long time what can I do to go back to normal life again??”

Lyle · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide) for GERD: “I took Reglan on August 13th, just one 10mg dose, soon as I took it I got on the road not expecting nothing of it had a big panic attack on the road ! Smh we are now in October ! I have been through a nightmare of a time and back off of this medication, experienced feelings of derealization, depersonalization, anxiety, severe suicidal depression, after all this time I had to be put on an anti-depressant and it’s not a joke !!! This is real please beaware ! They need to stop giving this to people !!!! This isn't right I’m really suffering, I mean in emotional pain and despair my muscles still twitching also !”

Charles · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “Please DO NOT take this drug Reglan! I was given it in an IV for headaches, but this drug gave me the worst feeling I have ever had in my life! I thought I was going to die! Immediately it gave me a hot feeling going through my body like when you take the dye before having a MRI scan. I felt dizzy, confused, depressed, and could not even think properly. I could not carry a conversation! I could not feel my feet and I had trouble moving my legs. I prayed for relief of these side effects! This drug is awful! There is NO WAY I can describe how it made me feel! I honestly would not take it again for a billion dollars! PLEASE do not give this drug to any patients and make sure you do not let anyone give it to you! This drug is horrific! About 10 hours later I am OK now. And I thank God I made it through that horrible experience! NEVER AGAIN!!!!”

Anonymous January 4, 2012

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Gastroparesis: “For nearly three years, starting at age 18, I would get uncontrollable nausea and stomach pain for months at a time. I was told by four doctors that it was acid reflux and to learn to live with it. I was taking 40 mg of Nexium every day, but it got to a point where I never felt well anymore, I was constantly fatigued, I had no appetite, and I was becoming increasingly depressed. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis by my fifth doctor and she put me on Reglan. Within an hour of taking the first dose, I felt better than I had in years. I can't put into words how positively Reglan has changed my life. I've now been on it for a year and a half. I've never had any negative side effects nor has the effectiveness ever waned. Reglan is a blessing.”

MaK · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I was giving Reglan via IV injection in the ER because of nausea. When I tell you this is the worst drug I’ve ever taken, I mean it. As soon as it was injected in I felt like I was in a different world. I then threw up 15 times and it is almost a week after taking it and I am just now getting over the suicidal thoughts and depression. I still have nightmares and anxiety but nothing like it was. I will never take this drug again and neither will my children when I have them because I think this drug shouldn’t be on the market...”

han · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Migraine: “I went to the ER with a migraine so bad I couldn't even walk. I got hooked up to an IV that gave me the “migraine cocktail“ (reglan, benadryl). I felt the most terrible anxiety I have ever felt in my life. I felt like I was trapped. I kept twitching and fixating on the IV in my arm. I begged and begged and begged for them to take it out. I was prescribed reglan alone to take when my migraines got bad again. I didn't know it was the reglan that made me feel this way at first so I started taking it when I felt a migraine coming on. I will never take this medication again. It is the most terrible feeling in the world. Your heart races and you feel like you're being held down, like you are being put in a near death scenario. I hate you reglan!!”

gacsmom1 June 6, 2013

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Gastroparesis: “Reglan has been a miracle for me. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis and tried to control the symptoms through diet because I was worried about the potential side effects, but the nausea was debilitating. My doctor finally didn't give me a choice, he said I needed to be on Reglan as I was losing too much weight because I couldn't eat. I truly feel like a new person. Although I still have "spells" where the nausea comes back, it's not nearly as severe and is controllable with Zofran. I would recommend Reglan to anyone with gastroparesis!”

Anonymous February 16, 2011

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Gastroparesis: “After weeks of debating (and severe stomach pain/constipation/nausea caused by a mild case of gastroparesis), I finally decided to take Reglan. I was scared like the rest of you. But guess what? I'm still here and it's been about two weeks. It has helped me IMMENSELY. I'm pushing 29, so maybe I'm still in the "safe zone." I know there is a threat to older women, but if I had not taken Reglan, I'd still be the vegetable that I was, living off of noodles and potatoes. Thankfully, I have very close friends and family in the medical field and they assured me that the chances of the terrible side effects weren't as high as they may seem on the internet. It is a medicine prescribed daily and many people are pleased. (5mg 3x daily) Good luck!!”

MRSDJMCW · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2014

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Gastroparesis: “This is a follow up to my earlier unfavorable review. I experienced several negative effects due to a excess of serotonin, caused by my concommittant use of several anti-depressants. My Dr. adjusted my dosage to only 1/2 of a 5mg. tablet taken a few hours after my evening dinner, and did not eat again until breakfast the next morning. This reduced my negative effects to almost zero, while still maintaining the medicines efficacy. I am able to continue this dose EVERY OTHER evening with VERY favorable results! There has been a considerable reduction in the severe bloating, nausea, and inability to eat even a small meal. I am thrilled to finally feel normal again! I'm so happy I stuck with it, a simple dose adjustment has changed my life!!”

Mic · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Gastroparesis: “Reglan along with zofran almost cured my nausea and allows me to eat! The Reglan is great because I can eat and not feel so nauseated I’m going to throw up half way through. Makes me feel as if I can work through full huge meals. For me those medications for Gastroparesis are 100/100”

Belladonna · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide) for GERD: “DO NOT take this drug... I don't even know hospitals or medical practice's administer this lunatic drug but it should be removed. I was recently in the ER for a very bad acid reflux/GERD flare up and they gave me a GI cocktail, which I'm use to... shortly after, a Reglan/Protonic IV fluid. All was well up until 10 minutes later and I was bugging out! I wanted to jump out of my skin and run out of that hospital. I thought they were going to sedate me, and throw me into a psychiatric unit... It was terrible!!!! I already suffer from anxiety so literally it was anxiety on STEROIDS. I never want to experience that ever again, and I'm still suffering with small side effects from the meds... I'll never be the same”

Miss Fortitude February 16, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Migraine: “This is a 21 month update about my experience with Reglan IV, a one time dose given as a "migraine cocktail" in the ER for a migraine. Yep, in just 3 months it will be two years since I have gotten this awful medication. I STILL have issues from what Reglan did to me. It is not uncommon for people to have tardive dyskinesia or akathasia from Reglan. I got akasthasia. For many the symptoms of akathasia go away in an hour or a few days. (Tardive dyskinesia on the other hand, can be permanent. In fact, like I said I got akathasia, not tardive dyskinesia.) Anyway, in many cases the akathasia subsides. But, it can hang on for some. I was one of those unfortunate people. There is a support group on Facebook called the Reglan Support Group for people who have had a harder time recovering from the injury of this drug. I had acute symptoms for 4 months. It was as bad as people describe akathasia on here. The next several months the symptoms were moderate. This drug had destroyed my life.”

Jayy85 · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 19, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Gastroparesis: “I have read all the reviews and they are terrifying to say the least but I suffer from gastroparesis and was put on this 3 x a day. I cut it back to basically only taking it whenever I start feeling "funky" (nausea, vomiting, etc.). It works fine for me. No side effects. Just take it when I need it which, controlled with diet I may take 5mg Reglan 3x a week. Works great for gastroparesis patients.”

Sam October 27, 2019

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Migraine: “I went to the ER complaining of a migraine. I was put on Toradol, Benadryl, and Reglan. I have gotten Toradol shots for my migraines over the last couple of weeks with absolutely no problem whatsoever. I also have never had an adverse reaction to Benadryl in my life. So I know the Reglan is to blame. Within 5 minutes of this drug polluting my veins i felt an insanely strong urge to rip My IV out of my arm, I got extremely restless, like I had to keep moving, I felt like I needed to leave the hospital immediately, and was in a total panic. I couldn’t sit still, I just felt like something terrible was happening. This drug definitely induced an anxiety, or some sort of panic attack. I do not recommend this at all.”

Anonymous May 8, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Within minutes of being given the Reglan I had sweltering hot feeling come over me. I began to panic and become restless. The more I watched the clock slowly tick by and tried not to focus on the impending doom feeling the worse it got. I wanted to rip the IV out of my arm. Between the anxiety, wanting to run for the hills, and my pounding heart in my chest it was a miracle I didn’t scream bloody murder. This went on for a good 30 minutes before the feeling subsided and I passed out. Although the medicine made me extremely anxious, it did knock down the nausea. I hope this validates any concerns and past experiences. I do not have a history of psych, but with this medication I don’t believe there requires to be one to make you feel this way. Please do not let a doctor try to tell you that benadryl will make it better and cancel out the anxiety feeling or that you can breathe through it. Trust your instincts and self advocate! Hope this helps!”

Kimbot · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 27, 2012

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Gastroparesis: “I found this medication extremely helpful when I was first diagnosed. I had to change my eating habits dramatically, so when I messed up or when the nausea flared up Reglan was great. I did find, like many other patients, that the side effects (anxiety for me) got worse over time. After about a year I felt I had learned how to manage my diet and stopped taking Reglan entirely. Reglan was a great tool in the beginning to help me figure out what eating habits worked, but now I manage everything through diet. I think that is very possible for others with gastroparesis, too. ”

amays74 August 1, 2011

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Gastroparesis: “I have been taking Reglan 10mg doses for years. It has changed my life in a good way. It has controlled my gastroparesis completely. I was having to go to the E.R. for pain before I started Reglan. I take 4 a day. 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I have had no side effects at all from this medicine except relief. I would recommend Reglan to anyone suffering from gastroparesis.”

Jesska · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2019

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Migraine: “I went to the local quick care emergency room with a severe headache and pain. I was having nausea as well. They came in and gave me a dose of IV reglan and within seconds I was freaking out trying to pull my IV out and yelling that I needed to get out of there. I was dizzy, disoriented and felt like I was on some serious drugs. I was having severe anxiety and I felt like my heart was going to explode. I have never reacted this way to any drug and it was a terrifying experience. I would not recommend this POS medication to anyone please be careful especially if you have preexisting anxiety!!”

Jae March 16, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Nausea/Vomiting: “The worst experience I’ve ever had regarding medicine. I was sixteen at the time- 30 now. Went to the ER for stomach pain, and was administered Reglan and Morphine. Only thing I remember is feeling like I wanted to rip my skin off, and had no awareness of what was even happening. I remember telling the doctors and nurse “drain my blood.” Get this out of me. Sounds dramatic and crazy, because it really was. How I recall them telling me it was a bad reaction to this medicine I’m not sure... just remember looking at my dad as they held me down and sedated me with benadryl. I’ve never in my life experienced so scary. Literally have PTSD, and scared to take any meds because of this drug. The most uncomfortable I’ve ever been in my life.”

Flannelman · Taken for 10 years or more April 28, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Gastroparesis: “Been on metoclopromide 10 mg (Generic replan)3x daily for over 10 years for GP. When I don’t take it my nausea is so bad I cannot eat. I cannot function without it. I have tried most common nausea meds, and it’s the only thing that helps! I’ve had developed the hand twitches from taking 10mg 3 times a day. But I found by taking a 1/2 pill every 4-6 hours keeps my nausea under control and no tremors”

Rere · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Migraine: “I am so relieved to find out that it I am not alone with these reactions to Reglan. I had a similar reaction once before so this time I begged them not to give me the Reglan but they reassured me the medication wasn’t the issue. I pulled out my IV and checked myself out. Why isn’t this kind of reaction known of in the ER?”

Sally January 31, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide) for Migraine: “Had headache for 4 weeks. Very severe. Tried everything OTC. Went to ER. Dr gave migraine cocktail with Reglan and Benadryl. I weigh 130 5’6. I immediately started feeling ridiculous anxiety shaking uncontrollable. Short of breath feeling like I was going to pass out and my heart rate was dropping. I felt like I was going to die. I couldn’t even talk to my husband on the phone. Wanted to rip out the IV. I actually stopped the IV and hit button for help. They had closed the door and I get like severe panic. Once the IV was done they gave me Valium which helped a little sent me home. Still had the headache slightly. Have some side effects in the evening and now today. How long does it take to wear off. Awful awful experience”