User Reviews for Metoclopramide to treat Migraine

Also known as: Reglan, Maxolon, Gimoti

Metoclopramide has an average rating of 3.7 out of 10 from a total of 150 ratings for the treatment of Migraine. 25% of those users who reviewed Metoclopramide reported a positive effect, while 65% reported a negative effect.

Metoclopramide Rating Summary

3.7/10 average rating

Compare all 130 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Metoclopramide

Kaleblee22 May 22, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I suffer from hemiplegic migraines and had a very bad attack yesterday late morning. I went to the hospital where I was given IV push of Benadryl, Toradol, and Reglan. As soon as she started the IV and walked out of the room I had a horrible feeling come over my whole body. My legs felt like they were on fire and I felt as if I was going crazy. I tried to relax and shake it off but the feeling wouldn’t go away and I became dizzy and almost delusional. I called my wife to tell her what was going on and she told me to hit the call button so I called the nurse back in and told her how I was feeling and she said the Reglan has that affect on some people. She pushed Ativan to counteract it. It was a scary feeling”

eharvell · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I shared the same feeling of panic after receiving an IV push of Reglan. I never had panic disorder before, but now I can’t get rid of it. I really want to get the COVID vaccine but this experience is really making me nervous. Has anyone else who had this reaction received if?”

Heather April 9, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide): “This knocks out my migraine pain very quickly. As others mentioned, it causes extreme restlessness and anxiety. Request Ativan and benadryl for the uncomfortable symptoms and it works very quickly.”

Millie October 30, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “DO NOT TAKE IT THIS MEDICATION!!! The doctors gave me this medication without explaining to me the common side effect of basically going insane for a short period of time. They just told me I would feel a “weird” for a little bit and then it would go away. They didn’t even ask me if I had a history of mental illness. I was expecting for me to feel drowsy or sleepy or a bit off, because that’s what feeling “weird” is supposed to feel like. But no!!! I suffered temporary insanity!!! Extreme derealization, depersonalization, depression, hopelessness, my life felt meaningless, I felt like I was dying and kept thinking about how I did not want to die!!! I felt doomed!!! I wanted to jump out of my skin and run out of the hospital!!!! I was about to rip the IV off my arm. Tremendous emotional despair and near death experience!!! It was a nightmare while being awake!! I much rather have the migraine!!!”

Carolina · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide): “Worst experience of my life, it was almost fatal. Literally my nurse began crying as I was in and out. I suffer PTSD now because of this experience and am scared to go to the hospital, take medications , and especially the ER. Went in for a headache that was persistent, no other symptoms, healthy young 23 year old and had such a bad reaction from injecting this stuff into my veins within 10 minutes of showing up. Makes you question their practice and intentions. .”

Jenna May 20, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I went to the ER for a migraine. They gave me a migraine concoction and after they put it in my IV I started having the scariest panic attack of my life. I suffer with anxiety disorder and panic attacks, but never this extreme. I kept feeling as if I was dying and I kept telling the nurse I don’t want to die. I could not shake the feeling or calm down no matter how hard I tried and was extremely drugged . They gave me a whole bunch of Benadryl to counteract and told me it has anxiety inducing reactions on some people! I told them before they administered that I have an anxiety disorder and they still gave it to me! It took me almost an hour to calm down! I do not recommend it!”

Jacky · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “Ok my experience is Just the same as everybody’s else’s in this site. I went to the hospital for some stomach pain and they gave me Reglan from the IV. I got paralyzed all my arm and body I couldn’t move I couldn’t talk. I just wanted to scream I felt like I was dying , I never had a panic attack in my whole life until that moment. I couldn’t breath I couldn’t dial my husbands phone number to tell him that I thought it was the end of me, that’s how bad it was I felt. It was like I was really passing out and my heart was coming out of my chest. This happened about 4 month ago. Now the problem is that since then I have all most everyday anxiety for no reasons, panic attacks for no reason I feel agitated and always have the fear that something is wrong with me and afraid I may pass away and leave my kids behind. Did any of you experience the same thing as I am and can’t get out of this anxiety?? Please send me some answers if the side affects persists for a long time what can I do to go back to normal life again??”

han · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I went to the ER with a migraine so bad I couldn't even walk. I got hooked up to an IV that gave me the “migraine cocktail“ (reglan, benadryl). I felt the most terrible anxiety I have ever felt in my life. I felt like I was trapped. I kept twitching and fixating on the IV in my arm. I begged and begged and begged for them to take it out. I was prescribed reglan alone to take when my migraines got bad again. I didn't know it was the reglan that made me feel this way at first so I started taking it when I felt a migraine coming on. I will never take this medication again. It is the most terrible feeling in the world. Your heart races and you feel like you're being held down, like you are being put in a near death scenario. I hate you reglan!!”

Sam October 27, 2019

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I went to the ER complaining of a migraine. I was put on Toradol, Benadryl, and Reglan. I have gotten Toradol shots for my migraines over the last couple of weeks with absolutely no problem whatsoever. I also have never had an adverse reaction to Benadryl in my life. So I know the Reglan is to blame. Within 5 minutes of this drug polluting my veins i felt an insanely strong urge to rip My IV out of my arm, I got extremely restless, like I had to keep moving, I felt like I needed to leave the hospital immediately, and was in a total panic. I couldn’t sit still, I just felt like something terrible was happening. This drug definitely induced an anxiety, or some sort of panic attack. I do not recommend this at all.”

Miss Fortitude February 16, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide): “This is a 21 month update about my experience with Reglan IV, a one time dose given as a "migraine cocktail" in the ER for a migraine. Yep, in just 3 months it will be two years since I have gotten this awful medication. I STILL have issues from what Reglan did to me. It is not uncommon for people to have tardive dyskinesia or akathasia from Reglan. I got akasthasia. For many the symptoms of akathasia go away in an hour or a few days. (Tardive dyskinesia on the other hand, can be permanent. In fact, like I said I got akathasia, not tardive dyskinesia.) Anyway, in many cases the akathasia subsides. But, it can hang on for some. I was one of those unfortunate people. There is a support group on Facebook called the Reglan Support Group for people who have had a harder time recovering from the injury of this drug. I had acute symptoms for 4 months. It was as bad as people describe akathasia on here. The next several months the symptoms were moderate. This drug had destroyed my life.”

Jesska · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2019

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I went to the local quick care emergency room with a severe headache and pain. I was having nausea as well. They came in and gave me a dose of IV reglan and within seconds I was freaking out trying to pull my IV out and yelling that I needed to get out of there. I was dizzy, disoriented and felt like I was on some serious drugs. I was having severe anxiety and I felt like my heart was going to explode. I have never reacted this way to any drug and it was a terrifying experience. I would not recommend this POS medication to anyone please be careful especially if you have preexisting anxiety!!”

Rere · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I am so relieved to find out that it I am not alone with these reactions to Reglan. I had a similar reaction once before so this time I begged them not to give me the Reglan but they reassured me the medication wasn’t the issue. I pulled out my IV and checked myself out. Why isn’t this kind of reaction known of in the ER?”

Sally January 31, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “Had headache for 4 weeks. Very severe. Tried everything OTC. Went to ER. Dr gave migraine cocktail with Reglan and Benadryl. I weigh 130 5’6. I immediately started feeling ridiculous anxiety shaking uncontrollable. Short of breath feeling like I was going to pass out and my heart rate was dropping. I felt like I was going to die. I couldn’t even talk to my husband on the phone. Wanted to rip out the IV. I actually stopped the IV and hit button for help. They had closed the door and I get like severe panic. Once the IV was done they gave me Valium which helped a little sent me home. Still had the headache slightly. Have some side effects in the evening and now today. How long does it take to wear off. Awful awful experience”

V · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2019

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I went into the ER with severe Migraine and I was given what they call a migraine cocktail. I told them before I was given the medication that I suffered from Anxiety disorder. They did not tell me that Reglans side effect was anxiety. As soon as the nurse injected my IV I felt a horrible anxiety attack, it lasted for hours. I felt so anxious and wanted to run out of the hospital. Please make sure you know what you’re getting. I’d rather have a horrible headache than that. This medication is dangerous”

anonymous October 11, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “Went to the ER with severe migraine headache, dizziness and nausea. Was given cocktail of Reglan and Benadryl and was told by ER doctor it would help with both headache and dizziness. Didn’t help at all and made me feel extremely anxious. Then was given a Different drug (don’t recall the name) combined with magnesium. Again no relief at all. Then I asked to please remove IV so I could go home, feeling same or worse than before these drugs. I have only been to the ER three times in my life (I’m in my 60’s) so I’m not too familiar with ER protocol. Would not allow this drug in my body again. Going to neurologist tomorrow.”

Scared mom September 11, 2019

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I was just given this medication through IV for a migraine the other day. It only took moments and my heart started instantly racing, my legs felt super heavy like I couldn’t move, my face was tingling, and I felt like I couldn’t breath. It was to the point where I couldn’t even talk just scared that I was dying. I was then given Benadryl and with 15min the symptoms subsided. I can not stress enough how real it was and how it was the scariest experience of my life.”

Shelby K August 22, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I wouldn't even give this drug a 1. I came to the ER last night for severe head and neck pain and this is what they suggested giving me in an IV. Reglan and Benadryl. I had this once a year or so ago and had a terrible reaction and insisted I didn't want the IV. However I ended up letting them talk me into it and got it. Within 5 minutes of getting the IV, I felt anxious, trapped, paranoid, like I was going to die. I had to page the nurse like 3 times to come take th IV out. I just wanted to go home. I ended up pacing and walking 20 laps around the hospital with a nurse. They ended up talking me into allowing them to give me Ativan and more Benadryl to reverse the Reglan. I truly felt like I was going to die.”

Anonymous May 12, 2018

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I went to the hospital for hypertension which caused an excruciating headache. I was given benedryl + reglan & almost immediately started to feel strange. I couldn’t sit still, I got hot and sweaty, and wanted to stand up but I couldn’t due to the IV’s. I was screaming to unhook me and just wanted to leave. I couldn’t shake the feeling that I needed to go home. I felt like I was dying. I became paranoid and anxious to the point I ripped the IV out of my hand-blood was dripping everywhere & the sight of it made me vomit. It was a huge mess and I couldn’t calm down. I finally just ran right out the hospital & went home. Now I know by reading it was definitely a reaction to the reglan and I am definitely adding it to my drug list of absolute intolerance . It didn’t take my headache away and caused the worse panic attack I have ever had when I don’t have a history of panic attacks. Seems to me you should be warned about these types of side effects before hand.”

Rwd681 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2016

Reglan (metoclopramide): “Anytime you go into an ER with a migraine the doc will automatically try an avoid real meds and instead says we're gonna try reglan which has a sedative effect and then add Benadryl and knock you out, turn off the lights and close the door for Dark and quiet. Good thing for any kind of headache. About thirty minutes later the doctor rushes in flips on the light and says how's the headache? At thirty minutes of sleeping your just starting to hit REM. You're groggy from the sedative effects therefore not thinking clearly so you answer like um ok I guess. "Great lets get you outa here." On the way out as you're waking up you realize the pain is still there but too late. Reglan is great for the Doctors but does nothing for the patient.”

Danielle · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2019

Reglan (metoclopramide): “So just last night, I went to the hospital for a virus accompanied by a migraine. The doctor decides to give me a Benadryl and a shot of reglan. 3 to 5 minutes after the reglan has set in ( I know it was the reglan because I take Benadryl no problem) I go into a full blown panic attack. I have this complete sense of dread, I felt as though if I didn't get out of my own skin, or just that hospital, I felt I was going to die then and there. I honestly don't think actually dying will be as bad a feeling as this. I ripped out my IV, there was blood flinging everywhere along with the fluids that were dripping in. The doctor runs in yells at me then goes out and slams the door behind him. Which totally intensified my panic and I ran out of the hospital. The whole way home I just kept thinking I wouldn't survive to see my kids again. It felt like an hour drive and it was literally 5 minutes. Never again.”

TJude March 1, 2016

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I had had a stroke on Dec 17, 10 days after a stent had been put n my neck. A few nights later I had to go to the ER as I had the worst headache of my life on the left side of my head. They said they were going to give me a concoction that takes away any kind of headache. It was Reglan, benadryl , and Pepcid...and I'm sorry for all the negativity on these other posts, it almost seems like the same person keeps coming in and saying the same things....cuz I get panic attacks very easy but this concoction not only knocked me out for 5 hrs. It took the headache totally away so a big thumbs up they even gave me a prescription for reglan...”

PickyNicky · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2019

Reglan (metoclopramide): “This was the worst medication reaction I've ever had and had no idea that this was possible! I am having a bad reaction from starting an SSRI for the first time and end up in the ER vomiting and spinning and having been in a panic attack for about 8 hours (I thought that was bad too, just wait). The RN gave me straight Reglan in my arm and 30 seconds later I'm screaming at the top of my lungs "my legs my legs my legs!!!!" And the most terrifying feeling of "I'm going to die" ensued. I wanted to run as fast as I could away. From myself or nothing. Basically I was star in one of those movies where you see someone being operated on in an alien spaceship and the person is awake and terrified. There were 3 security guards and 4 nurses in the room all looking at me while I had this crazy psychotic reaction. I've never felt more embarrassed and terrified at the same time! DO NOT RECOMMEND”

Shelee · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I went to the ER for extreme neck and head pain. They said they were going to treat me with a headache cocktail. The nurse shot 3 medicines in me quickly. The first was reglan. Immediately after she put this in my iv I felt an intense pressure in my chest and I could barely breathe. I began to feel so restless and jittery. I wanted to jump up and rip the IV out and run. I tried to lay there and calm down but I felt terrible intense anxiety and worried I was going to die. I felt panic like never before. I thought something was wrong with me, I'm so glad I'm not alone. I'll never agree to this medicine again, and my head still hurt when I left!”

Michelle PInder · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2016

Reglan (metoclopramide): “Due to chronic pain I take a lot of meds to begin with. I ended up in the hospital with a severe migraine that I'd already had for a few days (among other things). Morphine wasn't helping, not even Dilauded helped. I don't know who made the switch, but finally at the end of the second day a nurse came in to give me the Raglan, Toradol, Benadryl combo. Oh how I loved her after that. It burned slightly going into my IV (but Potassium burned a hell of a lot more) but that was really it. I didn't feel jittery but it's the usual initial feeling of light-headedness and warmth. It didn't last long and within a few minutes my head was starting to feel better. I was surprised this worked so well.”

Anphi March 1, 2016

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I have severe migranes I whould say on a monthly basis and usualy they give me in the ER room morphine thru the IV but one time the doctor decided to give me this Reglan which change my life in to the worst ! I do not know how this medicine can treat something ! I felt like burning sensation first in to my stomach and then I started to think that I'm going to die because I wanted to pull out the IV and I was restless , shaking , panicking , anxious and I wanted to pull put the IV line. The nurses looked at me like I was possessed by demon ! After one year I still feel anxious and weird I know this med change my life in to the worst !”

MasonsMomma90 · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2016

Reglan (metoclopramide): “If I could rate this medication 0 I would. I was in the hospital due to a severe migraine while pregnant. They gave me reglan IV and i swear to god it produced the worst dysphoria imaginable. I felt like I wanted to rip my IV out and leave the hospital. I called my fiance up histerically crying begging him to leave work and come pick me up. It gave me a panic attack so severe I still get anxious just thinking about the experience. Reglan should be banned in my opinion. Ive never experienced anything like that in my life. Oh and almost forgot, it made me twitch for about 3 days after having it.”

Dree345 September 7, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): “This is not good I thought I was leaving this world I'm still experiencing side effect I took it yesterday through the IV and I got really paranoid it was the worst feeling it might not cause this feeling for some but I can related to anyone who has had a side effect from this med. If I have a headache next time I know what not to do when I go to the ER. I thought I was the only one but thanks to the internet we can share our experience. I would think they where using us as lab rats that med has weird side effects I'm still feeling it. I took it on 9/6/2015 and today I feel jittery & can't relax. I gotta move around a lot and I feel like taking off running its just the worst feeling.”

Lblud · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I had been treated in ER for migraine and received tordol and some other anti nausea meds and I did wonderfully, then 2 mo. Later I went to ER for migraine and they wanted to try something new, tordol and reglan....thought to myself the other treatment worked well, why change it, but ER doc insisted. Tordol in IV great, Reglan went in and I felt it burn up my arm, I became agitated and within 30 seconds said to my husband...I think I'm having a panic attack and then did! I am a medical professional and here I was yelling for the nurses because I thought I was going to die. My poor husband! It was a wild experience of feeling like I was passing out but I was lying down. Felt like I was losing blood flow to my brain. Horrible experience!”

Learn more about Migraine