User Reviews for Metoclopramide

Also known as: Maxolon, Metozolv ODT, Reglan

Learn more about Metoclopramide.

Metoclopramide Rating Summary

4.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 127 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Metoclopramide to treat Migraine

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I've been to the ER for migraines too many times to count and have been given every kind of drug that can be given. I woke up this morning with a horrific migraine and vomiting and off I went. They gave me the Reglan/Benadryl combo and within less than a minute the pain was gone. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! I've never had anything to work so well and so fast. I went home and slept for four hours afterwards. I'm so glad they decided to try this with me."

Anonymous July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Went to ER with terrible migraine and vomiting. I was given the cocktail of Reglan and Benedryl. I have ended up having worst reaction ever and scared to death. MY heart beat went to 140+, I had uncontrolled muscle movement, dizziness, had a feeling I was going to pass out, my limbs were shaking enormously, I couldn't produce words to explain what was happening either!"

O.K. (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Went to the ER for high blood pressure and was having a bad headache as well. Was given regalin cocktail and afterwards I have had the worse anxiety ever. I wanted to rip the I've out of my arm and run out of there. I will never let them give me those meds again."

A.A. (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had chronic migraines for a few years and whenever I go to the ER they gave me this combination the Benadryl, torodal and the Reglan it makes you feel anxious that's why they add the Benadryl into it but I've never had any negative side effects I take daily medication to keep my migraines at bay but sometimes that doesn't work so if I have a migraine for more than 3 days and I go to the ER and they gave me the give me this cocktail and it works awesome I've never had any negative side effects personally from this medication but I'm reading these comments and other people are saying that they did they do warn you in the ER that it might makes you feel a little anxious for me that anxiousness goes away in about 30min"

Lisa H. May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Jim. I've had migraines for over 60 years. Currently, they are frequent but not debilitating as in the past. I'm an anomaly, having migraines at my age (77). My doctor prescribed Reglan Pills with 6 hours between doses. Sometimes it helps, sometime not. It's not my go-to Med but I use it because I don't want the others sometimes. I suspect high doses given quickly Can cause problems some have. Maybe my doctor, a stroke specialist who also has migraines, may be better informed than those prescribing high dose quick injections. There are emergency rooms in my area that I wouldn't let someone take me even with a heart attack. Remember, 50% of docs were in the bottom 1/2 of the class. You don't know where your doc was."

Anonymous May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Pls if you're reading this do not let ANY doctor give you reglan. I'm 20 years old and I was going to the ER for an awful migraine and the nurse came in and out the reglan in my arm. As soon as I felt the reglan enter into my arm I felt an awful burning sensation everywhere, I looked at the nurse and he said I shouldn't be feeling any burning. I got a awful feeling and looked at my mum and said something doesn't feel right I started panting like a dog and I couldn't calm down. Then I jumped up and screamed on top of my lungs because I couldn't breathe and I couldn't even see straight. I was convinced I was going to die. This experience still haunts me to this day and was so awful that it caused an anxiety disorder,wish it never happened"

lexiiiii2402 May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I had been treated in ER for migraine and received tordol and some other anti nausea meds and I did wonderfully, then 2 mo. Later I went to ER for migraine and they wanted to try something new, tordol and reglan....thought to myself the other treatment worked well, why change it, but ER doc insisted. Tordol in IV great, Reglan went in and I felt it burn up my arm, I became agitated and within 30 seconds said to my husband...I think I'm having a panic attack and then did! I am a medical professional and here I was yelling for the nurses because I thought I was going to die. My poor husband! It was a wild experience of feeling like I was passing out but I was lying down. Felt like I was losing blood flow to my brain. Horrible experience!"

Lblud (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I'm surprised to see all of the negative comments about the reglan, Benadryl, toradol combo. It's been a life saver for me! When I've gotten a terrible migraine that I couldn't shake, this was the only combo that could help me. I never experienced any bad side effects like the ones people have mentioned. I've been given it several times while at the hospital and it has always gotten rid of my migraines without really any negative side effects. The only thing is that it makes me really sleepy."

Anonymous April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm so relieved to know I'm not alone with this awful "migraine cocktail." I suffer from chronic migraine and had one so bad last week I went to the ER. I told them I'd been twice before for debilitating migraines and dilaudid was the best solution. Instead, they gave me a cocktail of Reglan, Benadryl and Toradol. They injected the whole dose at once and I had the worst uncomfortable, restless, panicky feeling I've ever had. I thought it was Benadryl making me tired but after reading all the reviews on here, it has to be the Reglan. Refuse this terrible drug, even for anti-nausea. I was so restless I almost ripped out the IV. Worst experience ever!"

Heidi Z. March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a severe Migraine. Pain level 9 when I arrived at the ER. I was given Metoclopramide and Benadryl via IV. Within 30 minutes my pain level went to a 2-3, was released and took ibuprophen to knock out the remainder of the pain. Was virtually pain free within 90 minutes."

APared72 March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm an ER nurse. We use a cocktail of 20 mg metoclopramide with 25 mg diphenhydramine. That's 2 vials of reglan and 1/2 vial of benadryl in a 250ml NS bag. Reglan is the primary medication in this cocktail, benadryl is given to reduce the side effect known as akathisia. Both reglan and benadryl causes drowsiness, hence only half a dose is given. 250ml saline bags are used so we can control the rate of flow of the medication (to infuse slow over 20 minutes, we don't use an IV pump with these medications). Ketorolac is optional. If not given correctly, in most cases infused as a bolus/wide open. This is where the problem occurs. I would say It has a success rate of 80%. I've seen akathesia just twice, I give it cautiously every time."

Jad.RN March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I have had a migraine for a week and went to the ER. They gave me IV benadryl and reglan. After about an hour they came in to check on me. I don't remember this but they said I said the headache was gone. Now 5 weeks later I still have the headache and I'm afraid to go back. Do not let them give you this cocktail as I don't remember anything. Who knows what could have been done to me while I was out of it. I will never let them give me this medication again."

bowling deb (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After suffering the worst migraine of my life (lasted 4 days) I went to my family doctor who sent me to the emergency room. There I was given 3 separate injections in my buttocks...morphine, dexamethasone sodium, and metoclopramide HCL. I had no side effects and felt wonderful within an hour of the injections. At my follow up appointment with my Penn State Hershey doctor, she prescribed Reglan (Metoclopramide) for me to take at the onset of every migraine. I have done this on approx 6 occasions, and I have yet to have migraine. Thank you to the emergency room doctor."

Pattie4444 February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I went to the ER for extreme neck and head pain. They said they were going to treat me with a headache cocktail. The nurse shot 3 medicines in me quickly. The first was reglan. Immediately after she put this in my iv I felt an intense pressure in my chest and I could barely breathe. I began to feel so restless and jittery. I wanted to jump up and rip the IV out and run. I tried to lay there and calm down but I felt terrible intense anxiety and worried I was going to die. I felt panic like never before. I thought something was wrong with me, I'm so glad I'm not alone. I'll never agree to this medicine again, and my head still hurt when I left!"

Shelee (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from migraines for 43 years. I just recently went to the ER for intractable migraine, 3 days of constant excruciating pain. They started an IV and gave me the "migraine cocktail " of Benedryl and Reglan.... let me tell you this medicine combo made me freak out. I was jittery, restless and out of my mind. The 1st time I got it ,( I work at this hospital as a CT tech) I was alone and when no one was looking I pulled my IV out and left the hospital getting into my car and drove home. to this day I am amazed I didn't have a car accident. The 2nd time I went to the ER ( my husband drove me ) they gave me the same med cocktail and I freaked out again. Now realizing that this is not what I should be given ! Terrible experience"

Baileysmom29 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from migraines, and every time I get one, I got to stay in the hospital every time and nothing works, been to neurologist and still nothing... Not 1 medication works, I get cluster and status migraines.. :("

Briannaa (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I went to E R with a Migraine I had had for about 4 days. I was given this medication. I was in so much pain. I was so Anxious. I told them I was still in pain. My blood pressure was going up and down. I will never let the give this to me again. I was there 6 hours and let with no relief. I felt like I was tortured . Reglan and Benadryl"

Tedmirgrane suffer January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Visited the ER due to intense migraine lasting 7 days with 4 impacted wisdom teeth coming in. Face swollen, migraine and intense anxiety went to a different hospital and was hoping for something that WORKED, But got the reglan/benedryl cocktail which made me freak out like a idoit and I cried for anxiety meds when a new doctor came in and denied me anything else and called me a pill popper, although the only meds I'm taking are for my teeth pain (antibiotic and a steroid) and also continued to be rude while still having an outrageous migraine. Home now...hours later...with a migraine still......"

Chelseabergstresser January 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I went to the hospital for a bad migraine that at the time lasted 3 days. The worst I've ever had. They gave me a cocktail of raglin and benadryl through my IV. Within a minute my chest felt like it was burning. I couldn't breath, my blood pressure skyrocketed. They administered the benadryl and still no help. My chest felt heavy and I thought I was going to die. I couldn't move, talk or anything. They put oxygen on my face and called the Dr in to see me. He then administered valium STAT, then I began to calm down. They said that the nurse administered the Raglin to fast causing the side effects. After about 4 hours in the ER they Sent me home. At least I left with the migraine gone! But never again will I allow Ragin to be administered to me!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went to the emergency room with the worst headache ever and after getting results from a MRI that showed nothing significant the nurse came to me with the cocktail of REGLAN and BENEDRYL!!! Right away I started with convulsions that I could not control. It was my worst experience ever. I'm pretty sure that the reason they are giving REGLAN is to keep us migraine sufferers from ever going back to the emergency room. To me severe pain is an emergency but to the doctors and hospital staff we are a bother. Oh yes also a bother to the insurance companies. I wil never go back to the ER for head pain. I got the message!!!!"

Reglander December 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been dealing with migraines for the pass 30 plus years and this concoction of Raglan, Toradol and Benadryl is the best if given right and not to fast into your iv."

migraine fighter (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Due to chronic pain I take a lot of meds to begin with. I ended up in the hospital with a severe migraine that I'd already had for a few days (among other things). Morphine wasn't helping, not even Dilauded helped. I don't know who made the switch, but finally at the end of the second day a nurse came in to give me the Raglan, Toradol, Benadryl combo. Oh how I loved her after that. It burned slightly going into my IV (but Potassium burned a hell of a lot more) but that was really it. I didn't feel jittery but it's the usual initial feeling of light-headedness and warmth. It didn't last long and within a few minutes my head was starting to feel better. I was surprised this worked so well."

Michelle PInder (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went to the ER with a terrible migraine. No warning of side effects, and while I was anticipating relief from the migraine the complete opposite and possibly even worse happened..It started with a little fidgeting and not being able to get comfortable in the hospital bed, and then I went from 0 to 60 as far as a freak out. I have never felt like that before my life and it was quite possibly the worst feeling ever. I was alone in the hospital because my husband had to be home with the kids and it was so frightening. I wanted to crawl out of my skin,my heart was racing and I was clawing at my face,and I had uncontrollable full body movements.I wanted it to stop and all I kept asking for was help and for someone to make it stop. NEVER AGAIN!"

LayBan November 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I was inpatient in the hospital for a 5 day migraine. I was given Reglan and benadryl thru IV several times over a 4 day hospital stay and it helped the migraines in mins. I want you to understand how miserable I was. I had to have the curtains always drawn, couldn't watch TV or listen to music, and the room always felt like it was spinning. l noticed that when they administer the benadryl, it burns when given thru IV. I had competent nurses who administered it slowly to prevent intense burning. I also noticed after both were administered, I felt like I needed to move around, so my fingers and legs twitched a little, but not too much. It helped more than anything, and I'm really happy it was there as an option."

Laraaa (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I have given this through IV at the hospital for migraine without being warned of side effects. Within 15 minutes my entire body felt like it was on fire and I felt unbearably agitated and insane. I was writhing in the bed and gripping at my face and they told me it would pass. It took a benadryl and about 45 minutes to calm down. Reglan was probably the scariest experience of my life."

Nightmare Drug (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2016