User Reviews for Metoclopramide

Also known as: Maxolon, Metozolv ODT, Reglan

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Metoclopramide.

Metoclopramide Rating Summary

4.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 126 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Metoclopramide to treat Migraine

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Twice now I've been given the "cocktail" in the ER for migraines. The first time, I was ready to get the hell out of the hospital as soon as the headache was gone, I was so ready to go. Yesterday, I flipped out SO bad! I was screaming begging for someone to help me, that I was losing my mind. My Mom had to climb onto the bed and hold me while I freaked out. They finally gave me some atarax to calm me down. Atarax in itself is a whole new story."

Boogsie January 8, 2018

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I had to go to the ER after my migraine was on day 4. The doctor refused to give me any pain medications. Instead an order for reglan and benadryl was given. 45 mins later I had to ask if the nurse was going to start the treatment, because I was in pain. She informed me that she had already given when she put the iv in. She notified the doctor. Then the doctor order the imetrex shot. The migraine finally went away . The doctor gave me a script for a shot for home, but the insurance would not cover it. It cost $287 out of pocket for 1 dose. So, I was not able to pick up the medication. That sucks."

Savannah cat January 3, 2018

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Reglan is amazing for migraines ! I've had them for years , and when my prescriptions don't work, Reglan in the ER does. In fact , I found this thread because I am looking for info for self -administering. As many others mentioned, Reglan causes intense anxiety. For me , it's just restlessness. I feel as though I have to move my legs, even run! I can't lay still , even before my headache is better. I told this to my doctor during my last ER visit and he added Ativan to the IV. That solved the problem. My advice is to not avoid the medication because of the side effects. Instead, ask the doctor about options to reduce the anxiety or restlessness."

Sukistardust December 25, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Yesterday, I went to the ER because of migraine and blurred vision. The doctor ordered Morphine, Toradol, and Reglan through my IV. The nurse pushed the reglan really slow but I still felt restless. It's like a feeling of being trapped in your body with it trying to jump out. As soon as I told the nurse what I was feeling, she told the doctor and he treated me with Benedryl through my IV and it stopped the feeling. After that I was drowsy and my body started to relax and I was able to fall asleep. I will say that the migraine went away and my vision got better. I hope this helps someone."

SunnyMonae December 22, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I had a severe migraine for several days. Norco & Fioricet, weren't even touching the pain. Finally gave in and went into the ER. They gave me what they called a cocktail including Reglan & Benedryl. Nothing that was actually intended for pain, but I was willing to try anything so I didn't comment. That was the day I experienced my first ever panic attack. I couldn't vocalize what was wrong, I was hot, thrashing & grasping at my IV, my heart was racing and thought I was actually dying. It sounds so dramatic, but there really isn't words to describe the feeling of the moment that you believe your life is ending. Those of you who suffer from panic attacks- you have my respect & sympathy. Traumatized from Reglan. Never again!"

K8T December 8, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I ended up going to the ER because of a several day migraine, and was given this plus Benadryl and a steroid. I've been to the ER once before for a week-long migraine and the nurse asked what I was given. I told them the last time I was given something that made me shiver and shake uncontrollably for 20-30 minutes. He said that's the Reglan, but at this particular hospital they like to put it through the IV as a drip slowly; Not fast as pushing it through a syringe into the patient's system can cause the reaction I had before. I did not shake or shiver like before, with the cocktail of meds I became very sleepy and my muscles felt loose, and dozed for a little while. Much better reaction than before!!!"

zellavi November 21, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I was in the ER for severe migraine/vertigo and I was scared to take any sedatives because I am so sensitive including to benadryl. Unluckily I got the doctor who treated me like garbage and was so impatient; he wouldn't even let me explain myself he was just asking what I wanted... So he suggested reglan instead of benadryl. 2 minutes after I was becoming frantic; I had to pee and was ready to rip the IV out. Then the nurse tells me the doc wants me to do a urine test. haha. I started tripping out worst hallucinations/panic attack. I felt like I was coming in and out of reality/ blacking out every 2 seconds. I Finally fell asleep and overheard the doctor wanted to wake me up to do a psychiatric evaluation due to my reaction."

leahhh November 6, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "After about a week of headaches and migraines with no relief despite taking every treatment I had available, I went to the ER. The doctor mentioned Reglan as a treatment option and I accepted. I got Reglan in an IV, and a few minutes later I just started to feel very anxious. Everything just felt very urgent and I felt very restless. My face also started to feel hot. I also was alone during this visit, which I'm sure didn't help. I also suffer from anxiety, so it just increased my usual symptoms. My migraine relief was only so-so; it came back the next day. Reglan might be a good option for you if your migraine is really bad, but be careful because it can make you really anxious."

oliwankenobi (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Given IV with toradol & Benadryl. My headache went away almost immediately . Soon after that I started shivering and trembling. I dismissed it thinking I was just cold because of the hospital temperature & the IV fluids. I also had to pee so bad that I unhooked it myself because I could not wait on the nurse to come in and help me. I was so restless and anxious that I drove home, knowing the nurse told me to call a ride, but it's like I couldn't control the urge to just make it home and go to bed. I didn't realize that all of those symptoms were side effects of the medicine until I got home & started to tremble more & was unable to sleep. Since then I've been having panic attacks & anxiety, muscle stiffness & twitches. DO NOT TAKE"

Quisha13 September 22, 2017

"I tend to be sensitive to a lot of medicines- not in an allergic reaction type way, but I experience adverse side effects almost every time. I went into the ER with an ocular migraine with aura. They gave me a reglan/benadryl combo. It got rid of the migraine, but it made me feel EXTREMELY high!! I might have dealt with it better if the RN had warned me first. Within 15-20 seconds of infusion, my mouth got cold and I felt incredibly high/drunk. Paranoia, restlessness, etc set in. I kept sitting up, lying down, sitting up, lying down. I even told the person in the room with me that I was about to rip my IV out so we could leave. Like I said, I wish the RN would've warned me first about these side effects so I would've been prepared."

fsoeifjosiefjosiefj September 10, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Went to the hospital last night for flu like symptoms. While I was there I experienced a sudden migraine. When I told the Dr. he decided to treat me with a cocktail outside of my usual. He gave me Reglan, Toradol, and Benadryl. As soon as the nurse began to push the meds in my IV I felt the worse burning sensation ever! After all 3 meds were in I began to feel closed in, constricted and overall worse. The nurse ran and got the dr and this is when he decided to reveal that the Reglan can make you feel very anxious, he said it should go away in 10 mins or so, and it did but I will never allow them to give me this medication again. I literately tried to rip the IV out of my arm because of it."

Migraine Guest (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Do NOT take this medicine. 1 time IV dose. Causes nervous system damage. First Parkinson side effects, then anxiety after 5 months NOT gone. Possible sensitive to other medications. Horribly traumatic. Couldn't work."

Kat80 (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2017

"Went to the ER for a migraine cocktail recommended from my neurologist bc the headache was not leaving. The emergency room staff was very nice and quick but as soon as the meds hit my IV my arm started burning and itching at the same time then it happened all over my body for about two mins. After the nurse was done she left me "to myself" for an hour but I was to jittery and freezing cold to sleep. I was in and out of it for a bit but u better believe when that hour was up I was calling my nurse to get out of there. Yea my headache is gone but the anxiety has been crippling since I had the cocktail. I feel like I can't sit still like my legs are jumping. So all in all it does work but if u have anxiety be weary. I'm not getting another one"

Katshennadesigns (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I've been to the ER for migraines too many times to count and have been given every kind of drug that can be given. I woke up this morning with a horrific migraine and vomiting and off I went. They gave me the Reglan/Benadryl combo and within less than a minute the pain was gone. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! I've never had anything to work so well and so fast. I went home and slept for four hours afterwards. I'm so glad they decided to try this with me."

Anonymous July 16, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Went to ER with terrible migraine and vomiting. I was given the cocktail of Reglan and Benedryl. I have ended up having worst reaction ever and scared to death. MY heart beat went to 140+, I had uncontrolled muscle movement, dizziness, had a feeling I was going to pass out, my limbs were shaking enormously, I couldn't produce words to explain what was happening either!"

O.K. (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Went to the ER for high blood pressure and was having a bad headache as well. Was given regalin cocktail and afterwards I have had the worse anxiety ever. I wanted to rip the I've out of my arm and run out of there. I will never let them give me those meds again."

A.A. (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2017

"I've had chronic migraines for a few years and whenever I go to the ER they gave me this combination the Benadryl, torodal and the Reglan it makes you feel anxious that's why they add the Benadryl into it but I've never had any negative side effects I take daily medication to keep my migraines at bay but sometimes that doesn't work so if I have a migraine for more than 3 days and I go to the ER and they gave me the give me this cocktail and it works awesome I've never had any negative side effects personally from this medication but I'm reading these comments and other people are saying that they did they do warn you in the ER that it might makes you feel a little anxious for me that anxiousness goes away in about 30min"

Lisa H. May 28, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "Jim. I've had migraines for over 60 years. Currently, they are frequent but not debilitating as in the past. I'm an anomaly, having migraines at my age (77). My doctor prescribed Reglan Pills with 6 hours between doses. Sometimes it helps, sometime not. It's not my go-to Med but I use it because I don't want the others sometimes. I suspect high doses given quickly Can cause problems some have. Maybe my doctor, a stroke specialist who also has migraines, may be better informed than those prescribing high dose quick injections. There are emergency rooms in my area that I wouldn't let someone take me even with a heart attack. Remember, 50% of docs were in the bottom 1/2 of the class. You don't know where your doc was."

Anonymous May 8, 2017

"Pls if you're reading this do not let ANY doctor give you reglan. I'm 20 years old and I was going to the ER for an awful migraine and the nurse came in and out the reglan in my arm. As soon as I felt the reglan enter into my arm I felt an awful burning sensation everywhere, I looked at the nurse and he said I shouldn't be feeling any burning. I got a awful feeling and looked at my mum and said something doesn't feel right I started panting like a dog and I couldn't calm down. Then I jumped up and screamed on top of my lungs because I couldn't breathe and I couldn't even see straight. I was convinced I was going to die. This experience still haunts me to this day and was so awful that it caused an anxiety disorder,wish it never happened"

lexiiiii2402 May 4, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I had been treated in ER for migraine and received tordol and some other anti nausea meds and I did wonderfully, then 2 mo. Later I went to ER for migraine and they wanted to try something new, tordol and reglan....thought to myself the other treatment worked well, why change it, but ER doc insisted. Tordol in IV great, Reglan went in and I felt it burn up my arm, I became agitated and within 30 seconds said to my husband...I think I'm having a panic attack and then did! I am a medical professional and here I was yelling for the nurses because I thought I was going to die. My poor husband! It was a wild experience of feeling like I was passing out but I was lying down. Felt like I was losing blood flow to my brain. Horrible experience!"

Lblud (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I'm surprised to see all of the negative comments about the reglan, Benadryl, toradol combo. It's been a life saver for me! When I've gotten a terrible migraine that I couldn't shake, this was the only combo that could help me. I never experienced any bad side effects like the ones people have mentioned. I've been given it several times while at the hospital and it has always gotten rid of my migraines without really any negative side effects. The only thing is that it makes me really sleepy."

Anonymous April 4, 2017

"I'm so relieved to know I'm not alone with this awful "migraine cocktail." I suffer from chronic migraine and had one so bad last week I went to the ER. I told them I'd been twice before for debilitating migraines and dilaudid was the best solution. Instead, they gave me a cocktail of Reglan, Benadryl and Toradol. They injected the whole dose at once and I had the worst uncomfortable, restless, panicky feeling I've ever had. I thought it was Benadryl making me tired but after reading all the reviews on here, it has to be the Reglan. Refuse this terrible drug, even for anti-nausea. I was so restless I almost ripped out the IV. Worst experience ever!"

Heidi Z. March 28, 2017

"I had a severe Migraine. Pain level 9 when I arrived at the ER. I was given Metoclopramide and Benadryl via IV. Within 30 minutes my pain level went to a 2-3, was released and took ibuprophen to knock out the remainder of the pain. Was virtually pain free within 90 minutes."

APared72 March 6, 2017

"I'm an ER nurse. We use a cocktail of 20 mg metoclopramide with 25 mg diphenhydramine. That's 2 vials of reglan and 1/2 vial of benadryl in a 250ml NS bag. Reglan is the primary medication in this cocktail, benadryl is given to reduce the side effect known as akathisia. Both reglan and benadryl causes drowsiness, hence only half a dose is given. 250ml saline bags are used so we can control the rate of flow of the medication (to infuse slow over 20 minutes, we don't use an IV pump with these medications). Ketorolac is optional. If not given correctly, in most cases infused as a bolus/wide open. This is where the problem occurs. I would say It has a success rate of 80%. I've seen akathesia just twice, I give it cautiously every time."

Jad.RN March 6, 2017

Reglan (metoclopramide): "I have had a migraine for a week and went to the ER. They gave me IV benadryl and reglan. After about an hour they came in to check on me. I don't remember this but they said I said the headache was gone. Now 5 weeks later I still have the headache and I'm afraid to go back. Do not let them give you this cocktail as I don't remember anything. Who knows what could have been done to me while I was out of it. I will never let them give me this medication again."

bowling deb (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017