User Reviews for Metoclopramide to treat Nausea/Vomiting

Also known as: Reglan, Maxolon, Gimoti

Metoclopramide has an average rating of 3.6 out of 10 from a total of 138 ratings for the treatment of Nausea/Vomiting. 28% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 68% reported a negative effect.

Metoclopramide Rating Summary

3.6/10 average rating

Compare all 170 medications used in the treatment of Nausea/Vomiting.

Reviews for Metoclopramide

AirieBarnett · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I went to the ER for extreme nausea and vomiting. They gave me Reglan. Within minutes, I started having a psychiatric break. I had never experienced anything like it. My body wanted to rip out my IV and run from the hospital. My hands were shaking, and I couldn’t focus well enough to even make a phone call. My brain knew I was out of control, but it couldn’t stop the reaction. I felt completely helpless. I tried to explain how I felt to the doctor, and he threatened to send me to the psych ward. One of the nurses finally suggested I might be having an allergic reaction. They gave me two doses of Benadryl, and 15 minutes later I was back to myself. I will not ever take this medication, again!”

MaK · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I was giving Reglan via IV injection in the ER because of nausea. When I tell you this is the worst drug I’ve ever taken, I mean it. As soon as it was injected in I felt like I was in a different world. I then threw up 15 times and it is almost a week after taking it and I am just now getting over the suicidal thoughts and depression. I still have nightmares and anxiety but nothing like it was. I will never take this drug again and neither will my children when I have them because I think this drug shouldn’t be on the market...”

Anonymous May 8, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “Within minutes of being given the Reglan I had sweltering hot feeling come over me. I began to panic and become restless. The more I watched the clock slowly tick by and tried not to focus on the impending doom feeling the worse it got. I wanted to rip the IV out of my arm. Between the anxiety, wanting to run for the hills, and my pounding heart in my chest it was a miracle I didn’t scream bloody murder. This went on for a good 30 minutes before the feeling subsided and I passed out. Although the medicine made me extremely anxious, it did knock down the nausea. I hope this validates any concerns and past experiences. I do not have a history of psych, but with this medication I don’t believe there requires to be one to make you feel this way. Please do not let a doctor try to tell you that benadryl will make it better and cancel out the anxiety feeling or that you can breathe through it. Trust your instincts and self advocate! Hope this helps!”

Jae March 16, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide): “The worst experience I’ve ever had regarding medicine. I was sixteen at the time- 30 now. Went to the ER for stomach pain, and was administered Reglan and Morphine. Only thing I remember is feeling like I wanted to rip my skin off, and had no awareness of what was even happening. I remember telling the doctors and nurse “drain my blood.” Get this out of me. Sounds dramatic and crazy, because it really was. How I recall them telling me it was a bad reaction to this medicine I’m not sure... just remember looking at my dad as they held me down and sedated me with benadryl. I’ve never in my life experienced so scary. Literally have PTSD, and scared to take any meds because of this drug. The most uncomfortable I’ve ever been in my life.”

AirakeeSioux November 12, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): “Hey ladies, My first pregnancy was a breeze! Then I got pregnant with this one and at 5 weeks we found out because I was so sick I was vomiting at least 5 times a day. I finally asked my Dr. for help due to being concerned about my baby getting nutrients and food. He prescribed me Reglan 10mg and I take it 4 times a day -30 minutes before I eat and IT IS AMAZING! It does take about 25/30 minutes to kick in. I dont have any side effects yet and I hope it stays that way. So far I have been taking it for almost 4 weeks.”

EllieJoey · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2013

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I am 15 weeks pregnant, and have been fighting hyperemesis since week 10. I obviously don't want to take ANY medicines while pregnant, but the risk of not eating and drinking has become much worse. I've had 3 I.V.'s. I tried Unisom with B6, Zofran, even Phenergan. Nothing touches the vomiting. Reglan is the only medicine that will stop the vomiting AND allow me to eat and drink. I take it only when I'm totally desperate, but it is a miracle.”

Andrea April 12, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I was 2 months pregnant and losing weight. My Ob|Gyn prescribed Reglan and since then my life changed. After two weeks of taking it, I woke up with a panic attach. The first one I ever had. I emailed my doctor, and she said, it’s normal you are "hormonal” the symptoms started with that panic attack then I was afraid of the dark, I was unable to be alone, lack of sleep, my brain thinking extremity fast, no connection between my body and brain. My appetite started to disappear and I had one moment of clear thinking and went to the ER. The doctor told me I had Akathisia induced by Reglan. When that happened my self confidence, character, independence and happiness were gone. To make this story short, I saw a Psychiatrist, Attended therapy, Yoga, and what I believe saved me, acupuncture! My parents moved to my house to stayed with me, I retrained my brain and the panic attacks started to disappear.”

Sis · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2019

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I was given medication through IV for a flare up of vertigo. I am so glad I found this thread because it just confirms I wasn't crazy. I literally described these same feelings to my family after. It's been a week and I don't feel myself still. So immediately after injection I felt like I wanted to run out of the hospital I sat up in the bed and wanted to peel my face off. I felt sad. Hopeless and like if it didn't stop i would go crazy. I got so worried I called my mom and told her my body is so agitated and I cant stop moving. If I called the doctor in I wouldn't even be able to talk for him to understand because this felt HORRIBLE and like I was being tortured. Avoid this drug please. These comments are real!”

nsmith194 April 30, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “On April 28, 2020 I went to the ER for gastrointestinal problems due to bloating and nausea. The ER doctor injected Reglan in my IV without telling me the side effects of the medication. After she injected meds, I started to feel anxious, antsy, and I wanted to rip my Iv out of my arm. I couldn’t pick my phone up to call anyone. I felt I was going to die and lose control. This meds is no good.”

Anonymous June 10, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I was in hospital after birth of my son. I was given Reglan after my Tubal for nausea and it almost was the end of me. I was highly allergic. There were 2 nurses in my room talking and I couldn’t even communicate with them that something was wrong. I had my phone in my hand and luckily my dr had text me earlier and was able to text 911 to her and send right at that moment. She immediately contacted the nurse and I was not breathing when the nurse turned around. So scary.”

Cece · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I’m in my first trimester and was prescribed reglan 3x a day for my severe nausea. I literally took a dose this morning at 8am and haven’t taken another one since. This pill is awful. I have been on it for a week and have experienced anxiety, insomnia, nightmares, and STILL nauseous. I would take it and feel like I had to get up and move around, I was antsy. I’m so glad I found this forum so that I know I’m not going crazy. Please, if you have nausea ask the doctor for a different medication.”

Nat · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I went to the Emergency room for hyperemesis gravidarum and dehydration. My doctor first gave me zofran through my IV, didn’t work. I was still throwing up. So he gave me a dissolvable tablet of zofran. Still throwing up. So next he puts reglan through my IV and says he’ll be back to check on me. I literally started going insane. My husband was in the room trying to keep me calm because I started twisting and turning in the bed and yelling. I was having a panic attack. Now I’m here reading these comments and it makes sense. Lol. It did help with my nausea and I ended up filling a prescription for it, but I’ll only take it if it’s absolutely necessary.”

Kulit January 12, 2015

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I've been suffering from nausea/vomiting due to my pregnancy. At the Emergency Hospital I was prescribed to take Reglan 10mg. Bought the medicine and afraid to take it, took me two weeks to finally try them due to horrible reviews I read online. This medicine stopped my vomiting and to my surprise never had any side effect on me.”

Jade · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I was recently in the ER for vomiting and dehydration after a tonsillectomy. I had a bad reaction to the opioid I was given, and the Zofran I was on wasn't doing anything. My doctor decided to give me Reglan. This drug made the worst night of my life a touch more awful. Within minutes of it going in my IV I had this overwhelming feeling that I needed to get out of the hospital. It was not logical - I was really sick. I just couldn't control my thoughts. I started screaming "I have to get out of here! let me out! get me out of here" over and over like a maniac. Then the hot flashes came. I was shaking like a leaf and feeling like I was crawling in my skin. I started stripping my clothes off. If I could have taken my skin off too I would've. By far the strangest reaction I've ever had to a drug. This stuff is awful. Luckily the nurses came running in with Benadryl. That calmed me down pretty quickly. I've never had anything like this happen to me before. It was mortifying and horrific.”

Springvalley · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2021

Reglan (metoclopramide): “Went to the ER May 6th for nausea and heaving plus stomach pains, Was given reglan and pepcid to take. Saturday May 8th I went back to the ER because I was having stroke like symptoms found out that it was the reglan that had caused every symptom that I had, face droop unable to talk etc. I WILL NEVER TAKE REGLAN AGAIN”

Big John August 14, 2008

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I have been having heartburn, nausea and general sick to my stomach for years. I have been taken this drug for 3 days and my stomach has not felt this good in years. I hope this continues to work and I can now sleep late because I am not getting up to puke or take an antacid.”

Mos2020 November 30, 2019

Reglan (metoclopramide): “They gave me Reglan in the ER for my nausea I was having due to my pregnancy. The nurse slowly pushed it into my IV and walked out, as soon as he closed that door my body set into panic. I was extremely uncomfortable I wanted to get out of my own skin. I felt like I was suffocating and started sweating from the panic so I was hot and feeling like I was going into a bad anxiety attack. I had racing thoughts and I thought I was going insane but I didn’t know why, I have anxiety but not that made me feel like that. After 5 minutes of realizing I couldn’t calm down on my own I rang for my nurse and she came in knowing exactly what was going on. I mean I'm literally in here close to ripping this IV out of my arm so I I’ll take nausea over this feeling any day. Do not take this medicine if you don’t have to or have pre existing anxiety. I know there aren’t many options for pregnant women but this is a kind of torture I could live without.”

NOPE · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “Was given an IV dose of Reglan before I left the hospital and I cannot sit still. Wanted to rest when I came home but all I'm doing is pacing, moving my legs, and wishing I never let them inject me with this.”

Anon · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I was given this through an IV when I was in the ER for horrible nausea and it was the worst medication I’ve ever been on. It made me feel super jittery and just so confused and anxious. I wouldn’t recommend anyone to try this. Definitely ask for something else if at all possible like ondansetron or zofran.”

Superlove222 April 18, 2020

Reglan (metoclopramide): “Second pregnancy, diagnosed with Hyperemesis Gravadarum (severe morning sickness) I’m the natural queen when it comes to medications and treatment but this was something I knew I needed help with! I was first prescribed Zofran, the first hospital stay and it didn’t help at all! Fast forward 3rd visit to hospital I was prescribed Reglan in my IV and at first I started to feel antsy, could not stay still and my mask (due to covid-19 pandemic we all have to wear them) I felt I was suffocating!!! I was extremely hot as well, it lasted until about 15 minutes after meditation, I must say that Reglan has help tremendously with this sickness!!! It really saved me. If you can get past the first dose and the weird side affects of anxiety this medicine really helps with nausea/vomiting . If your morning sickness isn’t to bad I would refrain from taking any medications. Hopes this helps.”

Chanel217 October 27, 2011

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I was given Reglan intravenously for nausea while in the emergency room. Almost immediately I began have these overwhelming urges to rip the IV out of my arm and run away as fast as possible, it felt like a shock wave was passing through every muscle in my body. The nurse said it was "restlessness" and it wasn't uncommon. Every few seconds the sensation would return, and all I could do was wiggle around in the bed and cry, I felt so helpless. It took an hour for the feelings could go away. ”

Sky February 9, 2019

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I was given this a year ago in the ER. Almost immediately I had unpleasant side effects. I felt like I couldn't sit still, and I was extremely anxious. For two weeks I couldn't take care of my kids alone. I cried all the time and thought about suicide. I ended up in the ER a couple more times after that. Fast forward to three days ago, I was given Compazine for vomiting. I had no idea the two are closely related, and I experienced similar side effects. On the drive home I had to talk myself out of jumping out the car. Very deep thoughts consumed me. I do have a history of anxiety and depression so I'm not sure if there is a correlation or not, but I've never had a voice in my head trying to convince me to take my own life. It was very scary, and three days later I'm still anxious and unable to sleep or stay at my house alone. I know all meds affect people differently, but please take these reviews seriously. There are much less dangerous meds that can treat the same things.”

Anonymous May 12, 2009

Reglan (metoclopramide): “I was given Reglan in an ER when I couldn't stop vomiting when I had a migraine. It helped to stop my vomiting, but I reacted horribly. It made me uncontrollably agitated and nervous. I couldn't stop moving, I couldn't think clearly, and I couldn't relax until I was given a sedative. I now claim that I am allergic to the drug due to the way my body reacted to it.”

Neveragain November 12, 2009

Reglan (metoclopramide): “This was given to me as an IV and I felt restless and anxious. I had hallucinations and unbelievable depression and emotional pain. I thought I went crazy and had suicidal thoughts. I was depressed for a month after that. I couldn't tell you if it worked because I was too busy arguing with myself on whether I was crazy. I am one of those people who never thought suicide was an answer to anything, but this medicine made me believe it was the only answer. ”

Little Miracles · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2020

“I've been taking metoclopramide on and off for years for nausea and vomiting. Do they space you out? Sort of like a light head rush. I've still driven a car just fine on them, gone shopping, cooked dinner etc. Some people are very dramatic, but I also understand some people may have different effects. I'd say take half and see how you get on. I don't mind the slightly spaced feeling, Ive experienced a lot worse on other anti sickness. Does it get rid of sickness? YES Whats the worst thing to ever experience? SICKNESS. So therefore if it does the job then thank god eh!”

Learn more about Nausea/Vomiting