User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity, Zembrace SymTouch

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome

New Daily Persistent Headache
6.7

Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 8.0 354 reviews

Reviews for Sumatriptan

For Migraine: "Took 1/4 of my roommate's sumatriptan and went straight into cardiac arrest. After going to the doctor I was informed I was having a panic attack due to the fact that I was reading negative reviews about this product. Migraine got much worse. Do not recommend this pill. ."

ml19962018 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2018

For Cluster Headaches: "I have chronic cluster headaches. The injections are the only medicine that will abort an attack. I have used the injections with no side effects for over 10 years. I get the vials and inject 2-3 ml. I have overused this medicine at times knowing it can cause rebounds, but the pain of a cluster headache is so severe, I will do anything to make it stop. I have no history of heart disease and am relatively healthy otherwise. This medicine has saved my life."

clusterhead (taken for 10 years or more) January 8, 2018

Onzetra Xsail (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had chronic migraines for 11 years now. I switched Neurologist and she suggested this medication. I love this stuff! This is seriously the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me. If I take it at the first sign of my migraine it will be completely gone within 15 minutes!! There has been only once that my migraine did not go away so I had to take another one. It definitely burns when it goes in but that subsides in a few seconds for me. The medication does drip down the back of my throat for a while but I don't mind that because my head isn't pounding. I do feel a bit fuzzy for about 15 minutes but it does go away. I would give this medication a try if you have tried many different things and nothing has worked like me."

Shhill123 January 5, 2018

Imitrex Nasal (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "The injections always work for me. The nasal spray? Terrible at best. First time bloody nose with zero pain reduction and second time zero pain reduction. I just threw away a years worth."

Joppy (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

Onzetra Xsail (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Onzetra xsail works for me. It's a wonderful drug with minimal side effects. Pain almost gone within 5-10 min of using. If pain comes back (which it did 2/8 times) I took again and migraine gone. Get 7-8 migraines per month. Very grateful for med. Extremely expensive however... May need to switch to pill form. :("

Love thismed (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2017

For Migraine: "I had a SCAD (sudden coronary artery dissection) heart attack and the doctor said it made quite well have been due to my migraine medicine and that I will never be able to take it again. Unfortunately for me because that was the only thing that worked on my migraines."

Mag's December 10, 2017

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I tried it today cause I’ve been getting really bad migraines and I tried it expecting it to work but instead I got bad side effects neck is tighten and I also have a severe migraine really disappointed and going to speak to my doctor about finding me something else never taking it again..."

Cynthiasan45 (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have used fiorinal for years and had no problems, however my migraines have gotten worse over the last few months. I took a 100 mg imitrex yesterday and the side effects were terrible. My neck, head, throat, shoulders all became tight and felt as though I was "high" per se. I finally had to go up to bed and calm myself. I slept for 5 hours and woke up feeling groggy. If I need to take it again I will break it in half. It was a scary feeling. They only gave me 6 pills, thank goodness. I will stick with the fiorinal and a cup a coffee."

HRock18 November 7, 2017

For Migraine: "This is the only Rx that will get rid of my migraines thus far , but it has painful side effects. I stumbled across the antioxidant drink called BAÍ (Justin Timberlake and Christopher Walken do a commercial for it) and it literally takes away the side effects so I'm not in pain or knocked our for the 4 hours it takes to get through my system. You take the pill with the Baí and slowly sip on it. As soon as you feel an ache take another drink. I have no idea why it works, but it does. ."

kdelong2 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 3, 2017

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "This review is for the injectable form of Imitrex (sumatriptan) only. For anyone that has tried the pill or nasal spray forms and found them ineffective, please try the injections. They work wonders and act fast. I've tried the other types and they actually seemed to make me more nauseous and (especially the nasal spray). I keep one in my purse at all times so that I can get relief anytime a migraine hits. The pain is not bad as the needle is very small and thin. You don't have to jab yourself, just press against your skin and push a button. The pain of migraine is much worse! I've found the most comfortable injection site to be the bit of fat at the top of my buttox. I use the 6mg injections but I'm pretty sure there is also a lower dose."

ranchnumber51 (taken for 10 years or more) October 27, 2017

For Migraine: "Had a allergic reaction to this medication and it was one of the scariest moments of my life"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

For Migraine: "I was suffering bad migraines for 6 days until I came across this medicine which works wonders"

Ctbussey (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I am perimenopausal age 53 and for last several years suffered from debilitating migraines. I days wasted because I was too sick from these headaches. Forget Excedrin for migraines or any other OTC drugs no relief whatsoever. This past weekend I had a migraine that pretty much knocked me out - the pain was horrific, nausea, vomiting and cried like a baby. Finally went to emergency room and they gave me Imitrex. .. Within 30 minutes headache was gone. I was very sleepy but I don't know if that's a side effect or just from not sleeping the prior 3 days."

Beefree September 16, 2017

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Reading some of these reviews makes me wonder how much of a chance they gave the medication. I've had 'vascular' migraines since I was 13. I'm 35 today. I take Excedrin migraine for my headaches. I take Imitrex for my migraines. Used to be hard to tell the difference. I understand now the difference. But before I found Imitrex, I took all kinds of 'prevention' meds. Amitriptyline, nortriptyline, Zoloft, more than I can remember. Never prevented a darn thing. Just ended up with side effects from those. As a teen, that meant acne and weight gain. Aka, hell. It's been years now since I've found Imitrex. And like many, I was worried about trying it. But there came a day I couldn't NOT try it. 20 minutes later, I kicked myself for waiting."

Erinlynn (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 7, 2017

For Migraine: "I have had migraines since my teenage years, sumatriptan is the only medication that works every single time with no side effects besides being a little tiered, thank goodness for this pill!!"

Elle 01 September 6, 2017

For Migraine: "I am 42 yrs old. I started having migraines at age 36 so 6 yrs now. About 2 to 3 a week. These migraines changed my life completely for the worst! Sometimes they were so bad I would have rather died! All of a sudden I couldn't work. I quit my job at age 36. Spent 1.5 yrs trying 7 or 8 different medicines and other remedies to get rid of or control my migraines and nothing worked for me until I tried 100mg sumatriptan. To keep my point short, 100mg sumatriptan has been a miracle drug for me. I just have to make sure I take it immediately when I feel a migraine coming and take it with food - timing is everything with this drug! Take too early it wont work and too late then it will take longer to work."

Nashknox August 21, 2017

For Migraine: "Works 99% of the time"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 7, 2017

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "When I moved to Indiana I started getting migraines . My doctor prescribed imitrex 25 mg which worked beautifully as long as I took it when the migraine started. Though it still doesn't always work and I take another dose 2 hours after the 1st dose. I developed tolerance to it and now need to take 50 mg. Fortunately my migraines have slowed down to a dull roar as I've figured out my triggers. Imitrex has some annoying but mostly tolerable side effects that dissipate with use, such as feeling physically fatigued, feeling kind of drugged, trouble thinking clearly, increased blood pressure/heart rate, sometimes I feel shaky."

RjoyD (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2017

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I'am 40 years old, and I have been suffering from chronic migraine since the age of 9 no medication has worked like Imitrex or sumatropan. I take the pill when I have migraine pain, and literally it takes about 35 to 40 minutes and WALLA! migraine GONE! YES THANKS science...."

Richy3232 July 30, 2017

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "The only thing that works. Wish it was available when I was a younger when I suffered so much. This medicine is the best for migraines. Key is getting it before it progresses."

Dludtx70 (taken for 10 years or more) July 29, 2017

For Migraine: "(UK) My 13yr old daughter (petite and very light) started getting monthly migraines 6 months ago. I also had them as a teenager and didn't want her to suffer. Went to the doctor and got these on prescription. There was a major warning on the screen "not for under 18's" so I was a little worried, but doctor gave her the dose for a younger child. Yesterday she got her usual blind spot at 7.20am. Took the tablet immediately, and by 8.50 she sat up in bed, no headache, no vomiting, migraine disappeared. She felt a bit dopey and looked a bit pale for a few hours and didn't eat much. From 12 until 9pm she performed in her music fair and concert. Unbelievable!!"

Mumof13yearold (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I preferred Relpax, but my insurance stopped covering it. Imitrex works at least 95% of the time, but maybe 10% of those times, the headache recurs and I have to take another one (which almost never happened with Relpax). My side effects are weird but not debilitating: sense of pressure in head, neck, chest, shoulders, arms; tingling in face; dry burning eyes; skin sensitivity to hot/cold; taste sensitivity to spicy/sour; lack of appetite; sweat; thirst; diuretic. A bit sluggish and sometimes drowsy, but not truly fatigued. Almost never nauseous; never dizzy. A couple of hours later, I often feel mild muscle soreness. The side effects are stronger if I take it on an empty stomach, but it also works faster."

Minlet July 7, 2017

Onzetra Xsail (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I was having my follow-up appointment with my neurologist and she gave me a sample of this because the oral tablets were not working and the nasal solution was taking a while to work for me. This was my miracle drug for me, one evening I felt my migraine coming on and I tried my sample pack I was very nervous about blowing something up my nostril but this wasn't bad at all, and within 5 minutes I could feel my headache start to calm down. I did not have to go into my dark room. I am really impressed and you don't taste the medication going down your throat as much as you do with the solution. Thank you"

Nana Vangie June 29, 2017

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I've been experiencing migraines for about 3 years now. The pain is always on one side of my head and is completely debilitating. I used to have to take a bunch of Ibuprofen and sleep in a cool dark room until it went away which took forever. Finally, I was introduced to this medicine. I took it a few hours into my migraine and the pain was gone within 15 minutes. The medicine made me feel a little weird, like my senses were overly receptive and my skin was a bit tingly. These temporary symptoms are NOTHING compared to the migraine, I've learned to like these odd side effects because that's how I know my migraine is leaving. This is a miracle drug and over the past year I've been taking it, it's never failed to relieve the pain."

Oliviaannes June 26, 2017

For Cluster Headaches: "After suffering with cluster headaches for two years I was prescribed sumatriptan 100mg tablets which were effective if taken on an empty stomach. They got to work in about 20-30min which saved a good hour or so of debilitating pain, so were great. When the next bout hit I asked about the injections as the tablets didn't always work/work quick enough. Doctor agreed and I got Imigran 6mg. Wow. Just wow. Aborts the headache within a couple of minutes of injection (which is simple and easy). They are a lifesaver and I would recommend anybody who suffers cluster headaches to ask your doctor about it. In the UK they're available on NHS; my doctor was hesitant at first as apparently they cost £25 per 2 injection pack. But they are worth it."

Yorkshire89 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2017