User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity, Zembrace SymTouch

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome 4 reviews 0 medications

New Daily Persistent Headache 6 reviews 0 medications

6.7
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 342 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Sumatriptan

For Migraine: "I was suffering bad migraines for 6 days until I came across this medicine which works wonders"

Ctbussey (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Reading some of these reviews makes me wonder how much of a chance they gave the medication. I've had 'vascular' migraines since I was 13. I'm 35 today. I take Excedrin migraine for my headaches. I take Imitrex for my migraines. Used to be hard to tell the difference. I understand now the difference. But before I found Imitrex, I took all kinds of 'prevention' meds. Amitriptyline, nortriptyline, Zoloft, more than I can remember. Never prevented a darn thing. Just ended up with side effects from those. As a teen, that meant acne and weight gain. Aka, hell. It's been years now since I've found Imitrex. And like many, I was worried about trying it. But there came a day I couldn't NOT try it. 20 minutes later, I kicked myself for waiting."

Erinlynn (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "I have had migraines since my teenage years, sumatriptan is the only medication that works every single time with no side effects besides being a little tiered, thank goodness for this pill!!"

Elle 01 September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "I am 42 yrs old. I started having migraines at age 36 so 6 yrs now. About 2 to 3 a week. These migraines changed my life completely for the worst! Sometimes they were so bad I would have rather died! All of a sudden I couldn't work. I quit my job at age 36. Spent 1.5 yrs trying 7 or 8 different medicines and other remedies to get rid of or control my migraines and nothing worked for me until I tried 100mg sumatriptan. To keep my point short, 100mg sumatriptan has been a miracle drug for me. I just have to make sure I take it immediately when I feel a migraine coming and take it with food - timing is everything with this drug! Take too early it wont work and too late then it will take longer to work."

Nashknox August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "Works 99% of the time"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "When I moved to Indiana I started getting migraines . My doctor prescribed imitrex 25 mg which worked beautifully as long as I took it when the migraine started. Though it still doesn't always work and I take another dose 2 hours after the 1st dose. I developed tolerance to it and now need to take 50 mg. Fortunately my migraines have slowed down to a dull roar as I've figured out my triggers. Imitrex has some annoying but mostly tolerable side effects that dissipate with use, such as feeling physically fatigued, feeling kind of drugged, trouble thinking clearly, increased blood pressure/heart rate, sometimes I feel shaky."

RjoyD (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I'am 40 years old, and I have been suffering from chronic migraine since the age of 9 no medication has worked like Imitrex or sumatropan. I take the pill when I have migraine pain, and literally it takes about 35 to 40 minutes and WALLA! migraine GONE! YES THANKS science...."

Richy3232 July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "The only thing that works. Wish it was available when I was a younger when I suffered so much. This medicine is the best for migraines. Key is getting it before it progresses."

Dludtx70 (taken for 10 years or more) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "(UK) My 13yr old daughter (petite and very light) started getting monthly migraines 6 months ago. I also had them as a teenager and didn't want her to suffer. Went to the doctor and got these on prescription. There was a major warning on the screen "not for under 18's" so I was a little worried, but doctor gave her the dose for a younger child. Yesterday she got her usual blind spot at 7.20am. Took the tablet immediately, and by 8.50 she sat up in bed, no headache, no vomiting, migraine disappeared. She felt a bit dopey and looked a bit pale for a few hours and didn't eat much. From 12 until 9pm she performed in her music fair and concert. Unbelievable!!"

Mumof13yearold (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I preferred Relpax, but my insurance stopped covering it. Imitrex works at least 95% of the time, but maybe 10% of those times, the headache recurs and I have to take another one (which almost never happened with Relpax). My side effects are weird but not debilitating: sense of pressure in head, neck, chest, shoulders, arms; tingling in face; dry burning eyes; skin sensitivity to hot/cold; taste sensitivity to spicy/sour; lack of appetite; sweat; thirst; diuretic. A bit sluggish and sometimes drowsy, but not truly fatigued. Almost never nauseous; never dizzy. A couple of hours later, I often feel mild muscle soreness. The side effects are stronger if I take it on an empty stomach, but it also works faster."

Minlet July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Onzetra Xsail (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I was having my follow-up appointment with my neurologist and she gave me a sample of this because the oral tablets were not working and the nasal solution was taking a while to work for me. This was my miracle drug for me, one evening I felt my migraine coming on and I tried my sample pack I was very nervous about blowing something up my nostril but this wasn't bad at all, and within 5 minutes I could feel my headache start to calm down. I did not have to go into my dark room. I am really impressed and you don't taste the medication going down your throat as much as you do with the solution. Thank you"

Nana Vangie June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I've been experiencing migraines for about 3 years now. The pain is always on one side of my head and is completely debilitating. I used to have to take a bunch of Ibuprofen and sleep in a cool dark room until it went away which took forever. Finally, I was introduced to this medicine. I took it a few hours into my migraine and the pain was gone within 15 minutes. The medicine made me feel a little weird, like my senses were overly receptive and my skin was a bit tingly. These temporary symptoms are NOTHING compared to the migraine, I've learned to like these odd side effects because that's how I know my migraine is leaving. This is a miracle drug and over the past year I've been taking it, it's never failed to relieve the pain."

Oliviaannes June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "After suffering with cluster headaches for two years I was prescribed sumatriptan 100mg tablets which were effective if taken on an empty stomach. They got to work in about 20-30min which saved a good hour or so of debilitating pain, so were great. When the next bout hit I asked about the injections as the tablets didn't always work/work quick enough. Doctor agreed and I got Imigran 6mg. Wow. Just wow. Aborts the headache within a couple of minutes of injection (which is simple and easy). They are a lifesaver and I would recommend anybody who suffers cluster headaches to ask your doctor about it. In the UK they're available on NHS; my doctor was hesitant at first as apparently they cost £25 per 2 injection pack. But they are worth it."

Yorkshire89 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Started having debilitating (not able to take my head from under the pillow and nausea/vomiting) migraines after having my daughter. I get about 4-6 a month, most of them are menstrual migraines, but I was lucky to find imitrex soon after I started having migraines. I used to take injectable or nasal spray, but have been on 10mg tabs for a few years now. Nothing else but Imetrex works and it works for me every time. I am not a fan of the side effects at all, which are muscle tension mostly in jaw and neck, as well as feeling drained for several hours after. I will take it over the horrible migraines any day though."

Lauren8165 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had great success with treating my migraines with this medication with in 5 min of the injection or 10 to 20 min with the pill I can feel my headaches tension and the aura and nausea symptoms subside. For those who take pain meds or a severe bleeding disorder caused by defective gene in the liver ask your doctor if this could be what's happening in your blood stream and central nervous system from pain pills. This is not intended to treat or be a diagnosis or cure for anyone's DIESEASE it's only intended to ask your doctor about to see if it could reduce your headache problems this comes from a patient who is 37 years old with a severe blood clotting disorder and suffers from pain and narcotic pain killer induced rebound HEADACHES"

MacGyver34 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "Fabulous medication after getting to the point I was taking 16 200mg ibuprofen (way too many) a day and at least 8 paracetamol and not even getting relief this came as a god send. Worked wonderfully."

AlexanderG (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "This was hugely helpful for me when my doctor figured out that I was suffering from migraines. Once in a while, I get sick to my stomach before the medication takes effect (especially if I've delayed taking it, for whatever reason), but I can't describe how much better it is to have this than to suffer. If I lose a dose to emesis, I'll take another with a small amount of water and wait for everything to calm down. Keeps me functional, where before I'd have been wiped out and wishing for death for a day or more. Side effects for me have been very mild and occasional. Slight tingly feelings, or a little bit of mental "distance" from my surroundings. Words can't describe how much better this is than torture."

Ohihiho (taken for 10 years or more) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Lifesaver! This med has helped give me my life back. I occasionally had 3 days of lights off, ice pack, cool & quiet bedroom time for the pain, often to the point of vomiting. I've been on it for years and take the injections with warm & tingly side effects but completely worth it. I crash for an hour with an ice pack & when I get up I feel fantastic. Love ❤"

GlamGhosty (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "My experience with generic imitrex has been bad. It sometimes works, sort of, but a day or so after, I have debilitating muscle aches. It took me a while to make the association, but once I switched back to the real medication, that problem went away."

Beila (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I took Maxalt for years, it knocked me out completely. Horrible. if you have a job. I started taking Imitrex and in 15 minutes my migraine disappeared! Amazing! I didn't get any of the side effects that everyone talks about. I was fine! And it didn't bother my stomach either!"

Molli R. May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "Just tried sumatriptan for the first time, I got it over the counter in a UK chemist. I'm a 39 yr old man who has suffered from debilitating migraines since a teenager. They have become less frequent with age but when I get the early signs (aurora) it still sends me into panic of what's to come, lying helplessly in Hell for hours, so when I heard of a new effective drug I jumped at the chance, and this was my experience, you get two pills, I took one with water and laid down in a dark room, after about 40 mins I could feel the drug starting to take effect it was if the migraine was still happening but it had been dulled down or masked by the drug, you feel tired, sick and a bit bit weird but it's better than the migraine pain."

Lee Probert May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "This is a comment about my own use, this stuff is a joke because the box only comes with 6 single shot nasal sprays, meanwhile during a cluster period I'll get from 3 to 6 excruciatingly painful Cluster headaches in a 24 hour period. Box will cure Basically 6 headaches, which lasts no more than 3 or 4 days during cluster period and that's while trying to conserve. The problem is most insurance will only pay for 1 box per month which leaves me missing work and banging my head against the wall for the other 25-27 days of the month. I don't know who made this medicine and why they would market it for clusters knowing that when people are in a cluster attack period get up to 6 or 7 "Suicide Headaches" per day. Terrible overall medicine."

Jake33 May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I only used this one time, it did not work for me and made me feel worse. I hate that I have 4 unused ones that are going to go to waste."

Didn't work for me April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have been using Imitrex 5mg injections for several years as an emergency migraine abortive. While it did instantly relieve the head pain and nausea, I had to then wait out 30-45 minutes of side effects. Those side effects were: upper jaw pain, and overall body aches (like when you have the flu) such as super sensitive skin, even my hair hurt. But for a long time this was the only option available to me through insurance, and the side effects were more bearable than the migraine. But recently the injection stopped working, and I ended up having to go to the ER. Now I have been given Zomig nasal spray. I have not had a reason to try it yet, but am worried about side effects."

Kimosgirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "It's the only drug that works for my headaches."

Cam Monroy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2017