User Reviews for Sumatriptan systemic

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity, Zembrace SymTouch

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome

New Daily Persistent Headache
6.7

Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 8.1 390 reviews

Reviews for Sumatriptan

For Migraine: "This was the absolute worst experience of my life. I was starting to get a migraine, so I took one 100mg SUMATRIPTAN SUCC. And it immediately went down hill from there. My migraine began to intensify and turned into the worst migraine of my entire life. My whole entire head hurt. My body and limbs felt extremely heavy, like dead weight, I could barely move. Then the nausea came. I felt so I’ll, like I would certainly vomit. I never did tho. I tried to sleep it off, I napped for about 3 hours with a cold wash cloth on my head. It did not get any better. I decided to try and wake up and maybe try and get some water or electrolytes in my system, that seemed to help a little. My migraine then was just at the back of my head and my forehead, instead of my whole head. My nausea was still there, I tried eating soup. I’m writing this about 7 hours later and my head still hurts but my nausea is gone. Never again will I try this medication."

Anames October 28, 2018

For Migraine: "Sumatriptan has changed the way I live. I suffer/ed from migraine, sinus, stress and daily headaches for almost 10 years - at their worst they could last up to 3 weeks with no subsidence... I'd literally wake up with and go to bed with that cycle all/every day. I tried everything- oils, supplements, herbal, tracking triggers... nothing worked. I was miserable and couldn't plan a thing; it was a guarantee that I'd have to cancel. I reluctantly (but desperately) popped along to the doctor who gave me sumatriptan. They vary when they kick in... Must depend on what's going on in my body... But usually within an hour. Only rarely do I need more than one on any given day. I've never looked back. Side effects vary; sensitivity, a bit slower but sometimes nothing at all. I have high blood pressure but I swear I couldn't live without them. Hopefully no long term damage, but they way I see it my life was a prison of pain before anyway."

SocietySista (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 24, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I only use this when I am incapacitated from migraine pain (I get it behind my left eye and can’t open it, have a hard time walking/talking, and end up vomiting). It relieves the physical pain and I am able to see, walk, and talk, but I am still pretty much down for the count. It says you can take it every 2 hours, but MAN, 1 dose and I feel it for the rest of the day. I get very drowsy, my eyes get droopy, and it feels like I’m walking underwater...or through thick honey. Everything feels so heavy. My speech is slower. I get waves of nausea. Once I take it, I’m home for the day— no way would I feel comfortable driving. The side effects can be tough for sure, but I will take them over the bad migraine pain any day. I am always thankful I took it, even if I have to be confined to the couch for 4-6 hours."

Margo (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2018

For Migraine: "This does wonders although at rare times it doesn’t do much so I have to add an Advil or double dose it (I take 50mg so I take another to make 100mg) I use it mostly for my migraines during that time of the month. I shouldn’t say this either but it works for migraines induced by hangovers too.....once in a blue moon when I been drinking at a wedding, etc. works in 30 minutes tops. Pain goes away but my face and body often feel “heavy and stiff” but I found out it’s a common side effect. So overall a good migraine solution."

Angela (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 23, 2018

For Migraine: "After years of "sick" headaches that nothing touched my Dr. prescribed Sumatriptan 100mg. I resisted taking it until a couple of weeks ago when I finally couldn't stand my headache any longer. It made me very nauseous for about an hour then the nausea & my headache were gone. This morning I had to take it again this time I was nauseous for about 1 1/2 hours & my whole face was sore. I don't know if it is worth it even if it does get rid of the migraine"

still deciding (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2018

For Migraine: "Works every time for me! I just can't stop the migraine from returning....."

Pegs (taken for 10 years or more) September 10, 2018

For Migraine: "I love this medicine! It has given me back my life. When I first started taking it I would get super tired and HAVE to sleep for an hour but I have been taking for a year and have no side effects any more. For me it starts working within 10 min and the migraine is gone with in an hour. Most of the time I don’t even need to take a full dose... just a half of a pill. The only bummer is my insurance company will only let me have so many of these pills every 20 days and because I suffer from migraine all but maybe 4 days a month I run out."

Steph (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2018

For Cluster Headaches: "I started experiencing severe gut wrenching migraines out of no where, Jan 2 2018. As if a catastrophic storm had arrived in my head. 9 months later; still here. No infections or inflammation. But where after pulling myself off of steroids, advil became my new friend. After 30 min..alleviated. All I had to do was hold on. Neurologists here I come. I was given 2 choices, in which was Indomethacin and Sumatriptan 50mg tablets (9). As much as my headaches agonize I am scared of the side affects to be frank. Stroke, heart attack and/or symptoms. I ended up taking the indomethacin. It is 2 to 3 steps higher than advil but less riskier. I reach for the Sumatriptan box but at the last minute I pull away. Here's to something else coming along my path that won't give me such horrendous side effects. Until then it's the indomethacin and my friend advil."

Hinestly September 3, 2018

For Migraine: "This drug has saved me. I was getting anywhere from 4 to 10 migraines a month, and losing a day or two each time. Not to mention the pain, the nausea, the depressed feeling you get when you're stuck in bed feeling terrible. My doctor told me to try this, prescribed 100mg, so I did. CANNOT say enough good things about this drug. Pain is entirely gone after 30 minutes, and I have had no side effects. Take it as soon as you know you're heading for a migraine. Don't bother waiting to see if it's going to "go away on its own" because chances are it's going to get worse. Practice self-care, also, and know your triggers. But if all else fails, take one of these because they work. I have to go to the pharmacy now to refill the prescription. Last thing I want is to wake up with a headache and no Sumatriptan on hand."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2018

For Migraine: "This medication has been an absolute life saver for me. I've not experienced any side effects from using it. It takes an hour to kick in but works amazingly. I cannot recommend it enough. I have been using the medication for 10 years and suffer from migraines a few times per month."

Laura (taken for 10 years or more) August 23, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have been on Imitrex for a few years now. I don't get migraines too often (luckily) but they're horrible when I do. I always try to hold off on taking Imitrex for as long as I can before I cave, which is probably not the best course of action. It does work after approx 1-2 hrs, but until the effect does work I get weird, uncomfortable side effects. My throat gets tight and it's difficult to swallow, any other muscle ache I have gets amplified, my arms/legs feel incredibly heavy and overall I just feel like I am floating in my own skin, if that even makes sense. Oh, and I have to pee every 15 mins :/"

Jen (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2018

For Migraine: "This med has been a life saver for me and I have been on it many years. I get migraines that cause pain all in my head, neck, shoulders as well as nausea/vomiting, mood change, inability to think straight etc. The first time I took it I remember feeling a warm dull pressure (not painful though) in my neck and shoulders, but I've never experienced it since then. This med completely gets rid of my headache within about 30 minutes. I am SO thankful my dr. prescribed this to me years ago-it's improved my quality of life. I am however, looking to move to a new state with less barometric pressure changes, seeing as I live in one of the worst cities for migraines. My guess is location is the cause of migraines for the majority of people."

Bug (taken for 10 years or more) August 15, 2018

For Migraine: "My migraine aura lasted less than 10 minutes after taking one dose. Was back to normal functioning: playing with my son, making dinner, watching TV within 30 mins. Very pleased with the results."

SKGreen (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2018

For Migraine: "The medication side effects just added to my migraine symptoms, making it an even worse experience, and didn't even relieve me of the migraine for more than a few hours if even that. When I couldn't stand it anymore and asked for a new medication I was given rizatriptan which didn't have as bad of side effects, but still didn't relieve my migraine in the slightest. I also feel my migraine frequency went up during this time, but that might have been a coincidence."

Purple (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "This drug will get rid of my migraine about 70% of the time, but I only use it when nothing else works because the side effects are almost as bad as the migraine itself. It makes my skin feel prickly and tight, and my throat feels tight and like I can't swallow. It gives me such intense nausea that I often don't speak when I take it because I feel like if I open my mouth, I'll throw up. From trial and error, the nausea seems to abate if I take it with food, but if I forget to take it with food I have to force myself to eat through the nausea. My brain also feels really foggy and basic actions are difficult when I take it. I'm glad there are people who don't react like this, but I am definitely asking to be switched to a different medication."

ElectricHarpsichord (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2018

For Migraine: "I just took 100mg two hours ago. The first ten minutes were fine. Next 30 minutes, I felt dazed and heavy. Next 30 minutes I felt fine, migraine gone. But after those 30 minutes... you know the feeling you get when you laugh or smile too long and your cheeks hurt.. well, that is everywhere. Just pure exhaustion with occasional pain. Stiff neck on the side I usually get migraine pain. Possible fever, lots of nausea right now. Random, but I sneezed and it killed in my neck. Glands are swollen. Throat isn’t tight though. "

Bkell (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had migraines (growing blind spots, with nausea and pain), and also tension migraines since childhood. Starting with my 3rd child, I started getting debiltating migraines. I’m talking, tingling fingers, trying to talk but my brain can’t find my words, PAIN that lasts at least 2 days with 1-2 of my brain not working. I tried Fioricet and it didn’t work. Magnesium aspartate supplements helped a ton with the tension and blindness headaches. Finally my dr gave me this and OH MY GOSH 30 mins later I felt so much better, by an hour it was gone!! I still feel like my brain is dulled for several hours but even though I can no longer feel the headache, it’s still there messing stuff up. On occasion I have to take two. If I let the pain get really bad before I take it, it takes longer to work. I can usually count on it being gone for 6-20 hours before I need to take again. I love it. Yes, neck stiffness, some jaw tightness... A MILLION AND TWELVE PERCENT better than a migraine though."

Kdhow (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2018

For Cluster Headaches: "I have been having chronic cluster headaches for the last 15 years. I have at least two per day and as many as 5 then for some crazy reason during my anniversary month they go up to 9 or 10. I have taken everything under the sun recently prescribed the injection pack it is the most successful med I’ve tried but here’s the draw back I can only take two shots per day so what do I do for the rest of my migraines. My doc painted a bad pic of taking to many shots. This drug is a tease why can’t someone make this so I can take 4 or 5 a day please"

Pain (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2018

For Migraine: "Every time I take this medicine my throat and neck become so tense and sore. I also feel tired and loopy. It does make the migraine better. Currently trying to decide if it's worth the side effects or not. "

Danner (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had menstrual headaches, so predictable for 10 years. Once a month, 36 hours or so, can't even lay on my head migraines. Just suffered through. Tried Imitrex last December and feel like I've been freed from bondage. I don't get a high or sleepy sensation, just relief, especially when taken with 2 Advil. I do not not have I ever uses prescription, pain meds. Seldom use even any NSAIDs. I was not interested in pain meds so this was a great option and a miracle. I can even take 2 without side effects. Sorry to those who have poor outcomes. FYI- I was discussing it today with a colleague and she said she felt high and loopy. I was stunned. Now in reading this, I see some people do react that way. So I guess I would say, take half, at home with someone around. Then make a choice from that result. Good luck!"

Concerned user (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2018

For Migraine: "I take 100mg pill when the feeling of a migraine is coming on and this stops the migraine from getting worse within 30 minutes. It would take up to 2 hours for the migraine to be completely gone. I have recently switched to the 25mg nasal spray and found this to be even more effective. Taken on the onset it stopped the migraine from getting worse within a few minutes and gone in under 1 hour. I have not experienced any side affects either. The only negative thing I would say is not about the drug, but how it is dispensed. I am only allowed 9 doses a month and some months I have a need for more than this."

grady (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 29, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "I had episodic clusters. Imitrex injections relieved the pain within 10 seconds. Clusters are all gone now."

Glen4512 April 10, 2018

For Migraine: "Was prescribed this drug to treat my migraine and it has made my migraine so much worse."

Micke (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

For Migraine: "Works well every time!!!"

Ac (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 4, 2018

For Migraine: "I was prescribed this medication for migraine. I took it at work during my lunch for the first time....big mistake. My head felt like a swollen balloon, I was disoriented, loopy, delusional, heavy, weird as ever and very tired. I wanted to lay down on my desk and cry or go home but I could not. My dosage was 100 mg. The next time I took it I cut it in half and it was not as bad of a feeling than before. I recommend to try it at home first to see how your body reacts first..not at work lol"

Cw March 29, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...