User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity, Zembrace SymTouch

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Cluster Headaches 53 reviews 35 medications

New Daily Persistent Headache 4 reviews 0 medications

7.2
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 267 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Sumatriptan

For Migraine: "I'd taken Excedrin for years w/some effectiveness & then had a streak where headaches would return within a day and sought medical attention. An urgent care doctor prescribed Bubalbital-APAP-Caffeine and I used it as needed for about a year and was happy with the results, but the prescription was running out. Because the medication was prescribed by an urgent care doctor the prescription couldn't be refilled, so I had to see an internal medicine doctor and he prescribed Sumatriptan. After taking the medicine today it did eventually take away my visual auras and it seems to block the full on migraine, but I feel kind of crummy with sinus drainage and pressure, grogginess and slight nausea. Going to try w/pain reliever Naproxen."

Mixed29 July 14, 2016

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "It works well when you can get to inject. This prescription with out insurance is over $900.00. I have had numerous instances where it did not inject. I have 3 out of 6 in my last prescription that failed. I just got satisfaction on a failed injector from January 2016. I now take the same prescription and it only is a $10 co pay where Suma Vel is &150 co pay. Robbery and the Endo pharmasuticals shood be ashamed"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "Words cannot express how grateful I am for this medicine. I have dealt with these crippling headaches since my mid 20's. Now in my mid-30's, I finally happened upon a physician (at a CareNow of all places) who actually listened to me as I told him of the nightmare I face at least three times a day, every day, for months on end, and prescribed Imitrex for me. If taken at the very first sign of an attack, these little beauties (I take the oral) can save you 30 minutes to several hours of unimaginable pain. I cannot recommend enough that my fellow cluster headache sufferers ask their doctor about considering Imitrex. While there's no cure, this is the closest thing I've found so far that at least makes living with these headaches bearable"

ClusterScrewed June 30, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "Had these headaches since I was 11. In my 20's did every test scan etc... No explanation. Only help offered was a highly addictive narcotic. I chose to skip it. My life was severely affected- I had headaches when happy, sad, having fun, pms, special occasion, etc.... Everyone knew my headaches were 3+ days of barely functioning. Then my daughter started getting them- game changer for me. Could not let her suffer the same way. Dr prescribed Imitrex (generic). It works for both of us!! We feel like we can live without fear of the next one. She is out of the country for 6 weeks- without this she never could have gone! Our lives are totally different now!"

Mom&kid June 27, 2016

For Migraine: "I am 57 and had been having migraines (severe enough to cause vomiting) for about 10 years without knowing what they were. Was diagnosed a few months ago and given Sumatriptan. It has changed my life. No side effects at all. I take 1/2 to 1 pill when early signs appear, and some naproxen. Within 1/2 hour or so I am fine and life goes on."

Musicman Joe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I am 57. For about 10 years I have had occasional episodes of acute headaches to the point of vomiting. Finally got diagnosed with migraine about 8 months ago (for some reason it never crossed my mind despite a family history of it). Was prescribed sumatriptan. Now, when I feel a migraine coming on I take 1/2 or 1 pill, along with naproxen. Headache is gone within 1/2 hour. My life has greatly improved. No side effects at all."

Musicman Joe June 22, 2016

For Migraine: "I actually had zero problems with this medication. It made me sleepy but I did take it at night (when my headache first occurred). I also take a low dosage of Zoloft. Not sure if that helped curve side effects as the doctor did tell me it could cause SHORT TERM (1 hour) heart attack symptoms/bubble in throat. I had hot flashes but I already have them so I can't say sumatriptan was to blame. My insurance paid for 9 tablets a month, I get 50mg oral."

Lisa456789 June 18, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "I've suffered from cluster headaches since I was 14 years old I'm 35 now. My last headache was in 2013 shortly after my mother passed. I thought I had out grown the headaches but May of 2016 here I go again going into my second month of having them everyday. I've tried imitrex you name it sometimes painkillers work sometimes they don't but like many other cluster headaches suffers Ive been threw hell.I don't know what do I'm a truck driver and it makes it hard to do my job even after the headache have gone. I just wanted to share my experience"

Strick June 14, 2016

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "The medication itself works which is the only positive thing I can say. This "needleless" injection is so much more painful than any needle I've ever experienced. I'll be going back to real injections. My leg is still throbbing in pain 30 minutes later and it took over 5 minutes to stop the bleeding! I've never had pain or bleeding with an Imitrex shot through a hypodermic needle. Who would choose this?"

Mac8 June 10, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Imitrex has been a life saver for me. As soon as I feel the headache coming I can take half of a 100mg imitrex and in 20 min the headache subsides. I have absolutely no side effects from this medication."

Heiny10 June 4, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "My Migraine headache started when I was 16 or 17 years old. Now, I am 53 years old. I have migraine headache about once a week unless when I am on vacation. Usually, I have them on Monday afternoons because it's the first day of the work and I think my eyes get tired or maybe I have more stress. But, I can get Migraine for the number of reasons. Last night, for first time I used Imitrex. I had awful feelings. I cannot describe them but after couple hours my migraine was gone. I got very sleepy but it felt very good. The best part is that the next day I had no headache either. Because my headaches usually takes 2 days to go away. I hope that it works next week as well."

H. S June 1, 2016

Zecuity (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have suffered from migraine since my early 20's. I am now 50 years old and for the past year; have suffered from daily migraine with very limited effect from Botox therapy. I saw the ad for this new patch (having been on everything in the migraine market) and asked my specialists to try it. It looks invasive but was easy to use. I activated the red LED button, after making sure it was sealed good to my arm. My doctor said I would have prickliness at first. But I didn't experience that every time; and when I did it would only last about 10 minutes. I did get the redness, but that was my only side effect and it faded daily but took about a week to completely disappear. I had no migraine within 30 minutes and no hang over!!!"

Chronic Migraine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I was diagnosed with severe painful and silent migraines a few months ago, but the neurologist said I've most likely suffered from silent migraines my entire life (I'm 17 by the way), but recently they have started getting painful. Imitrex was the first medication I was put on. I was excited to start feeling better, but imitrex made me feel awful. I suffer from extreme nausea before, during and after a migraine and it's completely life ruining. I've tried imitrex many times, in hopes of it finally working. Every time I'd take it, I'd get a horrible burning in my throat, and my migraine would worsen. It didn't help nausea, aura, pain or any other migraine symptoms I suffer from. I've recently been put on another medication that'll hopefully work."

SleepyLilV (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

Zecuity (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had migraine for 20 years and been on every migraine medicine. I am diagnosed as chronic with 15 or more migraine days a month. My doctor is very progressive with new treatments and offered zecuity because it is considered to be very clean as far as triptan side effects and no hangover or fog. I was properly trained on how to use the medicine with insuring a good seal, since it is a patch and forewarned that it can be uncomfortable the first 5 or 10 minutes. I put it on, ensuring a good seal. Activated the red LED button. It was prickly for about 10 minutes. Annoying, but not painful. My migraine was completely gone in 30 minutes. I had redness at the active site of delivery but it went away in a few days. No other side effects."

20 year migraineur April 28, 2016

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "Followed the instructions. Two (2) of the shots were defective (Out of 6). One was harmless and did not fire which only cost me $100 for the non performing shot. The other did nothing until it fired accidentally into my eye. Seeking regulatory and legal help."

Suffering from defective proud (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "I first experienced cluster headaches at age 18 in the spring, several times a day for about a month, just suffered through with OTC pain meds which did nothing. Finally got to see a neurologist in my 30s who was awesome, diagnosed as classic cluster headache, got on verapamil prophilaxis (80mg x3/day) which I take when "shadows" start coming, also oxygen (10-12L/min) for aborting attack. This has been working but if start oxygen too late then attack progresses. I tried sumatriptan injection for the first time when oxygen failed and attack was in full swing, tried sumatryptan injection (6mg s.c.)...amazing, all symptoms were gone within 10minutes!! I will keep trying the oxygen, but will definitely use sumatryptan as back-up!"

headache dad (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I don't like it at all. Have taken 2 times and causes me to yawn alot and jaw tightness. Makes me feel really weird."

BarbsA April 4, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "Well I was having really bad cluster headaches, I took an imitrex for the first time. With in 15 mins I was projectile vomiting and having bad stomach cramps. The taste stayed in my mouth for hours. My headache has went down some but it was still there."

Scarleezzy (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "If you are a migraine sufferer this is a MIRACLE DRUG! Yes the "injection" is sort of painful (for like 10 secs) and I only experienced a little soreness in the spot afterwards.. But within 15 mins of the injection my DEBILITATING MIGRAINE WITH NAUSEA AND BLURRED VISION WAS GONE! I was able to head to work and put in a full 10 hours as normal! No nausea, no follow up dosage, no pills, just a little sleepiness. I'm a 35 yr old female that suffers from 1-4 migraines with vomiting, light sensitivity, blurred vision per month. Yes, they are expensive, but I am lucky enough to have great insurance coverage thru my employer and only pay $15 per mon for 6 of these"

Heavy Head (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2016

Zecuity (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I saw the ad for Zecuity in a magazine a month or so ago. The whole process to get the patches takes a long time, 3 weeks to a month or more. I have migraines maybe every other month, but they can be severe with vomiting lasting two days not counting the migraine hangover afterwards. I usually take narcotics and have Zofran for the nausea, but if I wake up with a full blown migraine the meds don't stay down even with the Zofran The patch is complicated to set up, but it worked. Sunday I had a migraine, it didn't work as well and I have a raised red circular welt on my arm that itches like anything. I am going to the doctor tomorrow so I'll check it out with him. I hope it works better the next time."

Rhode Island Red March 29, 2016

For Migraine: "I've been using Sumatriptan for my menstrual migraines for 5 years or so now, I'm 24 years old. Although I get several of the listed side effects (muscle weakness, tingling & burning sensation, drowsiness to name a few), it works so quickly at getting rid of the pain I couldn't be without it now. The side effects only last an hour or so, so it's completely worth it."

Quartz24 March 27, 2016

For Migraine: "I took one Sumatriptan tablet when the migraine aura began. I found that it upset my stomach and wasn't as effective for headache pain as Excedrin Migraine."

Jim in California (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had migraines since the age of 6, I have tried everything. I unfortunately need pain medication about 10% of the time. I sure wish I would have had these injections years ago. They works most of the time. I have very severe pain and nausea and it does help."

franny124 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2016

For Migraine: "I've been experiencing migraines ever since I was around 14 or 15. When I went on birth control they started getting a little better except for when I was either really stressed or on my period, both times when they are really bad. I talked to my doctor about it and she put me on imatrex (which I tried for the first time when I was 15 when my sister took it) and it works wonders! It alleviates the headache in about 30-45 minutes. The thing I've noticed that is it's best when you first start to feel a migraine coming on, not when you're migraine is already unbearable. I've also experienced some minor side affects like drowsiness and some minor stomach pains (usually only if i take it on an empty stomach) but other than that I've had no issue"

struggling student (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2016

For Migraine: "I started by taking imitrex pills, and now am using the nasal spray, it works so much quicker! But I have the foul taste after taking it!"

24601 March 7, 2016