User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity, Zembrace SymTouch

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Cluster Headaches 57 reviews 35 medications

New Daily Persistent Headache 6 reviews 0 medications

6.7
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 314 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Sumatriptan

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Just took it for the first time today , use to use Maxalt. This drug completely knocked me out - so sleepy and tired not to mention feeling very weird. It's been 7 hours and I feel not great . Headache gone but left with fatigue and dizziness. Back to maxalt ."

Manasatswhat March 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zecuity (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "The medication was amazing. I loved how quickly it worked for my migraines. I get too many a month to use Zecuity exclusively so I saved it for the bad nausea ones. Unfortunately, the second time I used it, the patch burned a hole in my leg. When I called to report it, the company insisted it was just an allergic reaction. I literally had a chunk of skin missing and I still have a scar, several months later. The medication is great but whatever they use to push it through the skin is not good. Obviously, since it has since been recalled. Disposal of all of the materials is ridiculous. I would have driven an hour or two to the nearest speciality pharmacy to not have to deal with the delivery and packaging of the medication."

L.Larissa March 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine: "Finally, something non-addictive that actually treats my migraines! I take this with an aleve and I usually get relief within an hour, and the relief lasts a few hours (about 8) Only downside is that it makes you really drowsy, and it makes you feel like "blah" for a few days after you take it, but it's totally worth it in my opinion Also, I feel safe taking it since it's the only option my doctor had that doesn't have any warning about possible addiction."

Lisa 2x3x4 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "It is fairly effective if taken in time. Usually with a nausea medication too. Doesn't fully resolve symptoms but takes the edge off and helps with vomiting. It is also very expensive medication."

Anonymous March 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine: "I've been getting migraines for years and every doctor kind of wrote it off as hormones or stress and just told me to relax and take advil. They would last a couple days. I couldn't get out of bed the whole time. Just constant pounding in my neck, eye, teeth and forehead. Last month, I finally talked an neurologist into seeing me without a referral and he couldn't believe my other doctors and let it go on so long and not sent me to him. He gave me the generic imitrex and said to take it with the anti-nausea med promethazine. I had to use it for the first time yesterday. It was amazing. In 30 mins I could tell it was going away. I felt a little foggy for an hour or so and my reaction time was decreased for a few hours, but I'll take it!"

Carrie M. March 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Works great, the only one for me, no side effects, 53 yrs old, started getting these headaches last yr, Excedrin, Aspirin, Fiercet, and Advil didn't work, takes about an hour to kick in, but since nothing else works, I can wait it out"

Phil McCrackin February 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have suffered migraines and headaches since I was little, I'am 55 years old and in physical healthy shape. I as many I have been a prisoner in my own body. I'am totally debilitated for what use to be 12 hours at a time has grown to sometimes days. I have suffered hearing loss, ringing in my ears with the fullness and so many other symptoms from sinus pressure to neck pain etc. I have at 2 different times had epidural shots in my neck for migraines and tried all kinds of pain killers and daily meds to lower the severity and frequency they occur. Last month alone I had 18 headaches which 13 were migraines. UGH!!! The Dr. put me on Imitrex 100 to try. I was nervous but it is a miracle drug for me."

Anonymous February 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cluster Headaches: "I've had cluster headaches for about 14 years now, and haven't found any helpful meds until now. Sumatriptan has been extremely helpful for me this cluster period. I use the tablets so it takes about 30 minutes to feel the effects. I take it as soon as I start to feel tension in the head and neck, with the slight onset of a headache. By the time it starts to work, the attack is almost in full force, but once it kicks in the pain immediately subsides and begins to quickly go away. It saves me at least a good hour of the intense, tortuous pain - which also saves me a lot of the side effects of the attacks such as nausea and fatigue. I've found little to no side effects along with the drug, so I'm almost immediately able to function afterwards"

Aquaholic (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Onzetra Xsail (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Went to see my neurologist for usual migraine check up, med refills, treatment. While there he suggested Botox (another story DO NOT DO IT, I am in horrible non stop pain) since I was in the middle of an episode I got a Toradol injection and this NEW Onzetra Nasal. Not a fan of anything going up my nose should have went with my gut instinct. You put one opening in a nostril the other in your mouth and blow. Like blowing up balloon, blowing powder through out your nose, soft palette and throat. It felt like sucking salt water up your nose, the pain was immediate, eye watering, dizzying, nose pinching, nauseous pain. I coughed, gagged, cried wanted to scream. 3 days later am worse than ever pain, shaking, incapacitated. Not worth it."

snoozinpitt January 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine: "I have migraines that are usually triggered by hormonal changes around my menstrual cycle. I have been taking this medication for roughly 10 years now. My migraines become so bad I shake, vomit, and otherwise feel like I am dying. Sumatriptan has been a godsend for me, I take the pill form and 50mg is all I usually need. It takes around 45 minutes to an hour to kick in were I feel I can function again and I feel completely normal by 2 hours. I request Dr. Ready brand, I have had some brands not work as well. Hence the rating of 9/10 for me due to inconsistent effectiveness with generic brands. It does make me a little lightheaded and whole body fatigued for the first hour but that is nothing compared to suffering through a migraine!!!"

PelicanBlues (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For New Daily Persistent Headache: "I've been having chronic headaches for the past month to the point where they get severe (not a migraine) so I asked my dr for Sumatripan and she gave me it, little did I know it doesn't get rid of the headache nor relieve it, I'm on day 2 of it and all it's done is make me dizzy, my chest feel heavy and horrible that I can't breathe and need to cough hard, my shoulders feel heavy and achein my neck, and it's made my headache feel like a full blown migraine which I haven't felt for 4 years, never having it again I don't recommend this medication it's made me feel really horrible"

Jay2017 January 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine: "I was given these whilst in hospital as although I've had low pressure headaches the consultant decided it now have migraines?! .. so I mentioned to them I have bad anxiety especially when it comes to my health and any feelings within myself that I'm not ready for can make me panic. So they gave me the tablets, said to take one at home and I cannot explain the feelings I felt almost immediately after taking it -- my face started tingling around my nose and cheeks- my hands tingled, my throat was tight, my heart didn't feel right and my head felt almost numb. I wanted to be sick and I felt shakey... did I have any migraine? NO, but I would rather have a headache than experience all of those feelings. I wasn't informed of them!"

Alexldn89 January 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have read many of the other reviews of Sumavel DosePro and agree that I have had some not fire when I go to inject myself. I have learned to be patient and continue to hold the applicator in place and continually push it into my skin until the injector fires. It sometimes takes a while, but it does eventually goes off. You just need to be patient. Yes, it's frustrating, but when you have a migraine, it's worth the wait. This has been a miracle drug for me and I will continue to use it as long as it is available to me!"

BBalla (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cluster Headaches: "I been suffering with Cluster Headaches for over 10 years. I just used the injected form of Sumatripan. The pain was completely gone in 7 mins. Amazing!"

David2016 January 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine: "I have suffered from chronic migraine headaches since I was 5- I have at least 16 a month. I've tried everything, had MRI's done, gone to several specialist and none could help me. Eventually I was put on Sumatriptain, which is used to stop the migraine in its track. I am prescribed 9 a month, and almost always I use all 9. This medicine has saved my life because after 30 minutes, my migraine is completely gone."

JuneBug25 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have suffered migraines maybe 4 times a year or so since I was little. Usually accompanied by vomiting and complete inability to function. The past two years, after having my second daughter, the migraines have amped up to 3 or 4 a month- sometimes more. Imitrex works almost always to eliminate the migraine. Every once in awhile I wait too long and have to take two. I have no side effects to speak of which is crazy to me because I can't even use herbal remedies without experiencing weird side effects. I'm thankful for the scientists who created this drug. I always have it with me just in case and it keeps me from being out for the count with my two little girls."

MamaAnna84 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 21, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Will not ever touch it again! I suffer migraines so bad that I end up in the hospital almost on a regular basis. Well my doctor finally prescribed imitrex and I swore up and down that I wouldn't take it due to potential side effects, but my head hurt so bad today that I threw in the towel and took one. Mind you, I'm on the 100mg and it has done nothing but ignore my migraine causing it to manifest into a bigger one."

Starr9510 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I suffered from migraines since I was 10 and am now 38. Mine are triggered by stress and monthly hormone fluctuations. I first tried Imitrex when I was 21 and it made me so dizzy I couldn't stand. Recently I tried it again when I was having a migraine at work and it was so bad I went to the emergency room afraid I was having a stroke. I used to take OTC meds and isolate myself in a dark quiet room. My migraines kept me from enjoying important events with my children. This drug has been life changing. I have experienced some sleepiness as a side effect but nothing that makes me non-functional."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine: "Took this as given by doctor for migraines I was having daily, well never again will I take this tablet! Made me feel so unwell! I can't describe how I felt. Never again."

Ripple2222 December 8, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have suffered from migraines for 32 years. Have taken several medications and combinations of said meds prescribed by my physician to combine. This past year has been a mild one as far as migraines for me but have had around 13 I guess and we tried Imitrex. I can say that it has worked for me. My migraines are triggered by the changes in barometric pressure due to weather so I almost always have them in spring and autumn."

Lolabonita (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Been having headaches all of the sudden the entire month of November. Bad headaches! Was actually scared to take imitrex because of side effects but finally took it after 2 days of agony, and it worked!! So happy this worked for me"

NaNa21 December 1, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I've been suffering with migraine for 40 years. Tried everything on the market, including acupuncture. Used imitrex needle injections for many years. Learned about sumavel dosepro a few years ago. Loved this script. Very good success with it. However, in the past few months, I have had 12 injections not fire off. 15 or 20 minutes after my attempts, the cartridges fired off on my counter. Some never fired off and the medicine remained in the injector. I contacted Endo and they were helpful. Took the information and sent a postage paid envelope to return the defective injections to some lab in California. Endo forwarded info to my insurance company for replacements. Surprise, I'm still waiting for these replacements. Getting nowhere."

Brog November 29, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine: "This med works well for me in about 30 mins. My comment involves the packaging. When you are struggling with a bad headache it is extremely stressful trying to open the plastic and foil the pill is sealed in. Don't always have scissors at handy. Any one else find this annoying ? Should be changed."

Buzcentral November 25, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "My migraines are mild but can be long lived, some times lasting 2-3wks with nausea and light sensitivity. I used to treat them with just OTC meds but of course as soon as they wore off it came back. While pregnant I was prescribed Fioricet but headache would still come back. Then I finally got Imitrex and it makes the headache NOT come back! I do only take it at night just for the drowsiness, but no other side effects for me, and headache is gone when I wake up!"

KandyP (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 21, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine: "I've been suffering really bad migraines for the last 4 r 5 wks. At first i bought over the counter tabs like anadin extra paracetamol ect. Altho these meds worked eventualy i would still go between 20/40mins in excruciating pain then id get a few hours of relief then it would start al over again it was very exhaustin an so painful. Eventualy I went to the doc he prescrided naproxen these tablets didnt even touch the pain after a few days I resorted back to over the counter meds. Then I went back to the doctor he prescrided sumatripton tabs yesterday. I took my first tab early this morn when I felt the pain. The relief was amazing. It took the edge of the pain strait away and was barable less than 10mins the pain was gone. Best relief ever"

Nanasmom (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016