User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity, Zembrace SymTouch

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome 4 reviews 0 medications

New Daily Persistent Headache 6 reviews 0 medications

6.7
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 329 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Sumatriptan

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Started having debilitating (not able to take my head from under the pillow and nausea/vomiting) migraines after having my daughter. I get about 4-6 a month, most of them are menstrual migraines, but I was lucky to find imitrex soon after I started having migraines. I used to take injectable or nasal spray, but have been on 10mg tabs for a few years now. Nothing else but Imetrex works and it works for me every time. I am not a fan of the side effects at all, which are muscle tension mostly in jaw and neck, as well as feeling drained for several hours after. I will take it over the horrible migraines any day though."

Lauren8165 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had great success with treating my migraines with this medication with in 5 min of the injection or 10 to 20 min with the pill I can feel my headaches tension and the aura and nausea symptoms subside. For those who take pain meds or a severe bleeding disorder caused by defective gene in the liver ask your doctor if this could be what's happening in your blood stream and central nervous system from pain pills. This is not intended to treat or be a diagnosis or cure for anyone's DIESEASE it's only intended to ask your doctor about to see if it could reduce your headache problems this comes from a patient who is 37 years old with a severe blood clotting disorder and suffers from pain and narcotic pain killer induced rebound HEADACHES"

MacGyver34 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "Fabulous medication after getting to the point I was taking 16 200mg ibuprofen (way too many) a day and at least 8 paracetamol and not even getting relief this came as a god send. Worked wonderfully."

AlexanderG (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "This was hugely helpful for me when my doctor figured out that I was suffering from migraines. Once in a while, I get sick to my stomach before the medication takes effect (especially if I've delayed taking it, for whatever reason), but I can't describe how much better it is to have this than to suffer. If I lose a dose to emesis, I'll take another with a small amount of water and wait for everything to calm down. Keeps me functional, where before I'd have been wiped out and wishing for death for a day or more. Side effects for me have been very mild and occasional. Slight tingly feelings, or a little bit of mental "distance" from my surroundings. Words can't describe how much better this is than torture."

Ohihiho (taken for 10 years or more) May 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Lifesaver! This med has helped give me my life back. I occasionally had 3 days of lights off, ice pack, cool & quiet bedroom time for the pain, often to the point of vomiting. I've been on it for years and take the injections with warm & tingly side effects but completely worth it. I crash for an hour with an ice pack & when I get up I feel fantastic. Love ❤"

GlamGhosty (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cluster Headaches: "My experience with generic imitrex has been bad. It sometimes works, sort of, but a day or so after, I have debilitating muscle aches. It took me a while to make the association, but once I switched back to the real medication, that problem went away."

Beila (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I took Maxalt for years, it knocked me out completely. Horrible. if you have a job. I started taking Imitrex and in 15 minutes my migraine disappeared! Amazing! I didn't get any of the side effects that everyone talks about. I was fine! And it didn't bother my stomach either!"

Molli R. May 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "Just tried sumatriptan for the first time, I got it over the counter in a UK chemist. I'm a 39 yr old man who has suffered from debilitating migraines since a teenager. They have become less frequent with age but when I get the early signs (aurora) it still sends me into panic of what's to come, lying helplessly in Hell for hours, so when I heard of a new effective drug I jumped at the chance, and this was my experience, you get two pills, I took one with water and laid down in a dark room, after about 40 mins I could feel the drug starting to take effect it was if the migraine was still happening but it had been dulled down or masked by the drug, you feel tired, sick and a bit bit weird but it's better than the migraine pain."

Lee Probert May 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cluster Headaches: "This is a comment about my own use, this stuff is a joke because the box only comes with 6 single shot nasal sprays, meanwhile during a cluster period I'll get from 3 to 6 excruciatingly painful Cluster headaches in a 24 hour period. Box will cure Basically 6 headaches, which lasts no more than 3 or 4 days during cluster period and that's while trying to conserve. The problem is most insurance will only pay for 1 box per month which leaves me missing work and banging my head against the wall for the other 25-27 days of the month. I don't know who made this medicine and why they would market it for clusters knowing that when people are in a cluster attack period get up to 6 or 7 "Suicide Headaches" per day. Terrible overall medicine."

Jake33 May 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I only used this one time, it did not work for me and made me feel worse. I hate that I have 4 unused ones that are going to go to waste."

Didn't work for me April 29, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have been using Imitrex 5mg injections for several years as an emergency migraine abortive. While it did instantly relieve the head pain and nausea, I had to then wait out 30-45 minutes of side effects. Those side effects were: upper jaw pain, and overall body aches (like when you have the flu) such as super sensitive skin, even my hair hurt. But for a long time this was the only option available to me through insurance, and the side effects were more bearable than the migraine. But recently the injection stopped working, and I ended up having to go to the ER. Now I have been given Zomig nasal spray. I have not had a reason to try it yet, but am worried about side effects."

Kimosgirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "It's the only drug that works for my headaches."

Cam Monroy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I avoid taking Imitrex if I can because I experience so many side effects from it. I get jaw and shoulder pain/stiffness, pain in the back of my neck and scalp, headaches, drowsiness and I just generally feel weird and awful after taking it. After 2 hours or so, my migraine goes away and the awful-ness of the Imitrex lessens so that is why I do take it occasionally. Every time I take it, I'm reminded of how badly I need to find something else."

stephlyudmila (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "I'm 18 and my doctor prescribed me this because I suffer from constant headaches/migraines. This has the worst side effects which made my body ache, it hurt when I yawned, and I felt so much pressure on my chest. My head was still pounding 2 hours after taking it. I won't be taking these again."

cccc82 April 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "This worked really well. I've taken the pills and they don't do anything for my chronic migraines. I did experience some mild tingling in my limbs a few minutes after and a weird warm, flushing feeling in my chest. The warm, flushing feeling in my chest came almost immediately after the injection. It didn't last long and my heartbeat was normal. At least, it felt normal. Minor pain at injection site but no biggie. Overall, this little pen saved my work day and killed what usually would be a 24-48hr migraine and ordeal!"

OodlesOPoodles (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Just took it for the first time today , use to use Maxalt. This drug completely knocked me out - so sleepy and tired not to mention feeling very weird. It's been 7 hours and I feel not great . Headache gone but left with fatigue and dizziness. Back to maxalt ."

Manasatswhat March 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zecuity (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "The medication was amazing. I loved how quickly it worked for my migraines. I get too many a month to use Zecuity exclusively so I saved it for the bad nausea ones. Unfortunately, the second time I used it, the patch burned a hole in my leg. When I called to report it, the company insisted it was just an allergic reaction. I literally had a chunk of skin missing and I still have a scar, several months later. The medication is great but whatever they use to push it through the skin is not good. Obviously, since it has since been recalled. Disposal of all of the materials is ridiculous. I would have driven an hour or two to the nearest speciality pharmacy to not have to deal with the delivery and packaging of the medication."

L.Larissa March 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "Finally, something non-addictive that actually treats my migraines! I take this with an aleve and I usually get relief within an hour, and the relief lasts a few hours (about 8) Only downside is that it makes you really drowsy, and it makes you feel like "blah" for a few days after you take it, but it's totally worth it in my opinion Also, I feel safe taking it since it's the only option my doctor had that doesn't have any warning about possible addiction."

Lisa 2x3x4 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "It is fairly effective if taken in time. Usually with a nausea medication too. Doesn't fully resolve symptoms but takes the edge off and helps with vomiting. It is also very expensive medication."

Anonymous March 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "I've been getting migraines for years and every doctor kind of wrote it off as hormones or stress and just told me to relax and take advil. They would last a couple days. I couldn't get out of bed the whole time. Just constant pounding in my neck, eye, teeth and forehead. Last month, I finally talked an neurologist into seeing me without a referral and he couldn't believe my other doctors and let it go on so long and not sent me to him. He gave me the generic imitrex and said to take it with the anti-nausea med promethazine. I had to use it for the first time yesterday. It was amazing. In 30 mins I could tell it was going away. I felt a little foggy for an hour or so and my reaction time was decreased for a few hours, but I'll take it!"

Carrie M. March 10, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Works great, the only one for me, no side effects, 53 yrs old, started getting these headaches last yr, Excedrin, Aspirin, Fiercet, and Advil didn't work, takes about an hour to kick in, but since nothing else works, I can wait it out"

Phil McCrackin February 19, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have suffered migraines and headaches since I was little, I'am 55 years old and in physical healthy shape. I as many I have been a prisoner in my own body. I'am totally debilitated for what use to be 12 hours at a time has grown to sometimes days. I have suffered hearing loss, ringing in my ears with the fullness and so many other symptoms from sinus pressure to neck pain etc. I have at 2 different times had epidural shots in my neck for migraines and tried all kinds of pain killers and daily meds to lower the severity and frequency they occur. Last month alone I had 18 headaches which 13 were migraines. UGH!!! The Dr. put me on Imitrex 100 to try. I was nervous but it is a miracle drug for me."

Anonymous February 9, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cluster Headaches: "I've had cluster headaches for about 14 years now, and haven't found any helpful meds until now. Sumatriptan has been extremely helpful for me this cluster period. I use the tablets so it takes about 30 minutes to feel the effects. I take it as soon as I start to feel tension in the head and neck, with the slight onset of a headache. By the time it starts to work, the attack is almost in full force, but once it kicks in the pain immediately subsides and begins to quickly go away. It saves me at least a good hour of the intense, tortuous pain - which also saves me a lot of the side effects of the attacks such as nausea and fatigue. I've found little to no side effects along with the drug, so I'm almost immediately able to function afterwards"

Aquaholic (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Onzetra Xsail (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Went to see my neurologist for usual migraine check up, med refills, treatment. While there he suggested Botox (another story DO NOT DO IT, I am in horrible non stop pain) since I was in the middle of an episode I got a Toradol injection and this NEW Onzetra Nasal. Not a fan of anything going up my nose should have went with my gut instinct. You put one opening in a nostril the other in your mouth and blow. Like blowing up balloon, blowing powder through out your nose, soft palette and throat. It felt like sucking salt water up your nose, the pain was immediate, eye watering, dizzying, nose pinching, nauseous pain. I coughed, gagged, cried wanted to scream. 3 days later am worse than ever pain, shaking, incapacitated. Not worth it."

snoozinpitt January 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "I have migraines that are usually triggered by hormonal changes around my menstrual cycle. I have been taking this medication for roughly 10 years now. My migraines become so bad I shake, vomit, and otherwise feel like I am dying. Sumatriptan has been a godsend for me, I take the pill form and 50mg is all I usually need. It takes around 45 minutes to an hour to kick in were I feel I can function again and I feel completely normal by 2 hours. I request Dr. Ready brand, I have had some brands not work as well. Hence the rating of 9/10 for me due to inconsistent effectiveness with generic brands. It does make me a little lightheaded and whole body fatigued for the first hour but that is nothing compared to suffering through a migraine!!!"

PelicanBlues (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2017