User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity, Zembrace SymTouch

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome

New Daily Persistent Headache
6.7

Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 8.1 372 reviews

Reviews for Sumatriptan

For Migraine: "Every time I take this medicine my throat and neck become so tense and sore. I also feel tired and loopy. It does make the migraine better. Currently trying to decide if it's worth the side effects or not. "

Danner (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had menstrual headaches, so predictable for 10 years. Once a month, 36 hours or so, can't even lay on my head migraines. Just suffered through. Tried Imitrex last December and feel like I've been freed from bondage. I don't get a high or sleepy sensation, just relief, especially when taken with 2 Advil. I do not not have I ever uses prescription, pain meds. Seldom use even any NSAIDs. I was not interested in pain meds so this was a great option and a miracle. I can even take 2 without side effects. Sorry to those who have poor outcomes. FYI- I was discussing it today with a colleague and she said she felt high and loopy. I was stunned. Now in reading this, I see some people do react that way. So I guess I would say, take half, at home with someone around. Then make a choice from that result. Good luck!"

Concerned user (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2018

For Migraine: "I take 100mg pill when the feeling of a migraine is coming on and this stops the migraine from getting worse within 30 minutes. It would take up to 2 hours for the migraine to be completely gone. I have recently switched to the 25mg nasal spray and found this to be even more effective. Taken on the onset it stopped the migraine from getting worse within a few minutes and gone in under 1 hour. I have not experienced any side affects either. The only negative thing I would say is not about the drug, but how it is dispensed. I am only allowed 9 doses a month and some months I have a need for more than this."

grady (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 29, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "I had episodic clusters. Imitrex injections relieved the pain within 10 seconds. Clusters are all gone now."

Glen4512 April 10, 2018

For Migraine: "Was prescribed this drug to treat my migraine and it has made my migraine so much worse."

Micke (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

For Migraine: "Works well every time!!!"

Ac (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 4, 2018

For Migraine: "I was prescribed this medication for migraine. I took it at work during my lunch for the first time....big mistake. My head felt like a swollen balloon, I was disoriented, loopy, delusional, heavy, weird as ever and very tired. I wanted to lay down on my desk and cry or go home but I could not. My dosage was 100 mg. The next time I took it I cut it in half and it was not as bad of a feeling than before. I recommend to try it at home first to see how your body reacts first..not at work lol"

Cw March 29, 2018

For Migraine: "I have been on this medication for over 5 years. I rated it 9 stars because it did work well to stop my migraine in it's tracks,( within an hour ). I would only take half at a time due to side affects of fatigue and dizziness. HOWEVER, my body became dependent upon it. A few years into starting sumatriptan, I began experiencing almost daily rebound headaches/migraines. For several years I struggled with changing diet, eliminating caffeine, foods, other triggers, and taking all the preventative meds on the market, to no avail. Recently I saw my MD instead of the Nurse practitioner. He advised me that triptans CAN cause rebounds for some people. He changed my meds. After a week, I was back to my usual 1 or 2 migraines a week."

Sunshine (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 20, 2018

For Migraine: "Truly awful experience. I've been nervous about using this medication but I've taken too much time off of work for migraines so I took a pill this morning before leaving the house. By the time I got to work, my sinuses and throat were both sore. Then I got lightheaded, dizzy, and my chest and throat tightened up like I couldn't breathe. I had to go lie down, praying the side effects would lighten up. Two hours later, I am now enjoying stiffness in my shoulders and muscle aches throughout my hips and legs on top of everything else. Sorry, but never, ever again."

kittenquisition (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

For Migraine: "So last night I felt a migraine coming on in the back of my head . I took my dosage of 50 miligrams and fell fast asleep no side effects. Woke up feeling refreshed . I had worried , and quickly decided it may be different for others as to the reviews I have read ."

nicole (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I was on both Fioricet and this medication in small injection form for almost 15 years, worked well especially since I get the works upon the start of a migraine. Everything from aura to loss of arm and hand motor function to slurred speech. Almost identical to a stroke that clears up after 24 to 48 hours. Only down side was the tightening of the neck and jaw muscles but other than that it did shorten the migraine length and severity. Now move 10 years later and was dropped off the Imitrex and ended up in the hospital from a car accident and began a severe migraine and was given an Imitrex inhaler and I ended up with bad chest pains and was told to never tried it again."

Raged Maniac March 17, 2018

For Migraine: "Just started having migraines at 45 (gee- wonder why... lol). Tried all the OTC and homeopathic treatment I could find. Gave up and started with Relpax. My insurance wouldn’t help so it was $115 for 6. Then my dr had me try 50 mg Sumpitriptan ( generic imitrex) and very inexpensive. Always works within an hour and normally my migraines last 36 hours on any OTC med. I can’t take more than 2 doses in a 5 day stretch or I’m up for days with leg cramps tho. In desperation, I’ve started Topomax 50 mg as preventative but it’s about 20% effective and not worth the side effects for me ( lack of focus; numbness; tired)."

It works.... but (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2018

For Migraine: "Nothing Over the counter has ever helped. Got a prescription for Sumatriptan and Took 50mg and knocked out pain. Next time tried 25mg and it only dulled pain for a few hours. So far took on 3 occasions with positive results and no side effects. I am 150 lbs male."

Spurgeon (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I took this today when I felt a migraine coming on the left side (eye pain, watery eyes, runny nose, nausea) and within 20 mins the migraine was completely gone. I burped a bit and felt kinda loopy for like 5-10 min the. Bam gone as if it never happened. Can’t believe I went so long not without imitrex. Missed so much work and fun times due to migraines before."

Migraine897 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have suffered from migraines since I was 12. I am 53. Sumavil Dosepro is the only medication that works for me. Although I used to have frequent migraines, several per month, sometimes multiple per week, my migraines are less frequent now. My migraines do not respond well to other medications. Sumavel, taken appropriately, has changed my life. Migraines no longer dictate my schedule. However, this calendar year, my insurance stopped covering Sumavel and the company does not offer an assistance program. I am down to 4 shots. Not sure what I'll do after that."

Florence220H February 9, 2018

For Migraine: "Made me feel high and paranoid. I was out of commission the whole time I was on it till a few days later."

kaija February 6, 2018

For Migraine: "I have been getting menstrual migraines and food triggered ones (rarely) for maybe 10 years I am 42. Usually 2-4 a month. If I take sumatriptan in the beginning when pain has started it works within 15 min and pain is gone. I wish I had tried it sooner. It does make you a little drowsy and occasionally sweat or feel tightness in your neck, also a diuretic. Take with food and lots of water."

AmyStover98 February 6, 2018

For Migraine: "I find with this if I catch the migraine by the kaleidoscope stage or missing vision at the earlier stage....then after half hour lie down I can still manag to drive home etc.... After effects of sore eyes etc is significantly lessened 50mg for me"

Nev.g February 4, 2018

For Migraine: "Took 1/4 of my roommate's sumatriptan and went straight into cardiac arrest. After going to the doctor I was informed I was having a panic attack due to the fact that I was reading negative reviews about this product. Migraine got much worse. Do not recommend this pill. ."

ml19962018 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2018

For Cluster Headaches: "I have chronic cluster headaches. The injections are the only medicine that will abort an attack. I have used the injections with no side effects for over 10 years. I get the vials and inject 2-3 ml. I have overused this medicine at times knowing it can cause rebounds, but the pain of a cluster headache is so severe, I will do anything to make it stop. I have no history of heart disease and am relatively healthy otherwise. This medicine has saved my life."

clusterhead (taken for 10 years or more) January 8, 2018

Onzetra Xsail (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had chronic migraines for 11 years now. I switched Neurologist and she suggested this medication. I love this stuff! This is seriously the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me. If I take it at the first sign of my migraine it will be completely gone within 15 minutes!! There has been only once that my migraine did not go away so I had to take another one. It definitely burns when it goes in but that subsides in a few seconds for me. The medication does drip down the back of my throat for a while but I don't mind that because my head isn't pounding. I do feel a bit fuzzy for about 15 minutes but it does go away. I would give this medication a try if you have tried many different things and nothing has worked like me."

Shhill123 January 5, 2018

Imitrex Nasal (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "The injections always work for me. The nasal spray? Terrible at best. First time bloody nose with zero pain reduction and second time zero pain reduction. I just threw away a years worth."

Joppy (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

Onzetra Xsail (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Onzetra xsail works for me. It's a wonderful drug with minimal side effects. Pain almost gone within 5-10 min of using. If pain comes back (which it did 2/8 times) I took again and migraine gone. Get 7-8 migraines per month. Very grateful for med. Extremely expensive however... May need to switch to pill form. :("

Love thismed (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2017

For Migraine: "I had a SCAD (sudden coronary artery dissection) heart attack and the doctor said it made quite well have been due to my migraine medicine and that I will never be able to take it again. Unfortunately for me because that was the only thing that worked on my migraines."

Mag's December 10, 2017

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I tried it today cause I’ve been getting really bad migraines and I tried it expecting it to work but instead I got bad side effects neck is tighten and I also have a severe migraine really disappointed and going to speak to my doctor about finding me something else never taking it again..."

Cynthiasan45 (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017