User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Imitrex, Tosymra, Imitrex Statdose, Imitrex Nasal, Onzetra Xsail Zembrace SymTouch

Sumatriptan has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 480 ratings on Drugs.com. 72% of those users who reviewed Sumatriptan reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Migraine
8.8
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 7.7 480 reviews

Reviews for Sumatriptan

Katie May 12, 2021

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “I've never had really migraines until about 9 months ago. I had a coworker who suffered with migraines and she introduced these to me when I had a horrible headache. She took the 100 mg, and when she gave me one to take, it knocked me out into the next week. I usually have horrible period migraines and ones that I'll get on occasion. This is the only thing that works for me except I take the 50 mg. There has been a couple of times they didn't work . .but that is minimal to the times it did work. I recommend to anyone who suffers with these because I don't know how'd function without them.”

MigrainesSuck March 7, 2021

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “Immitrex works for me sometimes and sometimes it does not. But 100% of the time it always makes me feel miserable; skin sensitivity, the room spinning, drowsy, and restless.”

Aadi · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2021

For Migraine: “It's amazing medication for migraine.”

Mike Sea · Taken for 10 years or more January 15, 2020

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “I found Imitrex works well if I take it the second I feel any of the migraine symptoms. If I wait even 20 minutes past that it'll usually make the headache worse. I suffer migraines with auras and cluster headaches. Like most everyone there is no way to function once a headache starts. Mine starts when the barometric pressure raises or lowers with cold fronts, hurricanes any weather condition that changes the barometric pressure. The pain is rough but the confusion and not able to function for sometimes days on end is the worst. Only advice I could give anyone with this drug is if you know your body well enough to know a migraine or cluster headache is starting take it immediately, don't wait! That is the only way it works for me. When it does work it is amazing! A wonderful tool to the Arsenal to fight these crippling headaches. Iif someone has never had a migraine they truly will never understand the pain we're going through.”

TA · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “Worst experience of my life! Started feeling jaw pain, shoulder pain, nausea, heart racing and the worst was tingly/numbing sensation in my arms and legs. I felt like I was going to die. Did not help my migraine at all. This should be taken off the market.”

Stoney · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 30, 2019

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “I couldn't live without this little pill. Imitrex/sumatriptan is a miracle drug afaik (as far as I know). It knocks out my crippling full-body migraines every time. So many women and some men don't even know it exists, which is a cruel twist of fate. It should be available OTC without a prescription Imho.”

Lisa May 10, 2019

For Migraine: “Sumatriptan is a VERY dangerous drug. Prescribed 100mg when required for migraines. I took one, and immediately I began to pour sweat, muscle in my neck and upper shoulders ached so bad it felt like I was withdrawing from a powerful opiate. Complete panic attack as well. I almost went to the ER, but stayed home and agonized thru it for 5 hours until the effects were bearable. Scariest drug I've ever taken. PLEASE use extreme caution, I hope no one ever goes thru what I did.”

Simaee September 30, 2019

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “Do not take this medication. Good number of patients with severe headaches may need special type of MRI to detect possible aneurysm. If patient has aneurysm and take Imitrex then they are at high risk of causing rupture in aneurysm. I had stroke and undiagnosed aneurysm was diagnosed at the time of stroke. On the date of stroke I had severe headaches and I according to the doctor if I had ended up taking Imitrex, I would not have survived, because of aneurysm. The risk factors are not disclosed precisely by manufacturers. Please stay away from that medication and take special MRI to rule out aneurysm.”

Anonymous January 23, 2020

For Migraine: “I get very bad migraines that make me stay in bed for hours. I was prescribed sumitriptan and I took it to see if it worked. It did not really relieve my migraine and it made me feel nauseous and super weak. I got chest pain and my arms felt very heavy.”

Kay · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 26, 2019

For Migraine: “Used to take these sumatriptan every time I had a migraine and aura 100mg and everything was fine. A few days ago I felt symptoms coming on and took one. Worst experience of my life. Severe nausea, diarrhoea, worsening of headache, chest pains, numb pain in left arm, muscle clenching involuntarily, Jaw pain, severe anxiety. Ended up in ER crying and feeling like I was high on drugs. Days later I do not feel myself I feel anxious, panicky and down in my mood. Please be careful these drugs are NOT safe for everyone despite me having taken them many times before. I will not ever take one again.”

Makinmagic · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 21, 2019

For Migraine: “I get monthly hormonal migraines (during my period), and sometimes one in the middle of the cycle. They are really, really bad. Before Sumatriptan I had to stay in bed all day, snacking on Tylenol like candy (without much effect). Sumatriptan does work. The key is to take it as early as possible. Just when you feel the first tingles of pain - take it. Usually in 30-40 minutes I am pain free. It does come with pretty nasty side effects. For me it's extreme weakness, very heavy feeling arms and legs, low blood pressure and general feel of being unwell. So even after taking it, I have to take it easy - just stay comfortable, watch a movie, read a book, and stay in bed. I usually feel so weak, I can barely walk. But it sure as anything beats being in such a severe pain that you consider calling an ambulance.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “Okay so I’ve been suffering from horrible migraines daily, so bad that I’m stuck in bed in horrible pain. I’m nauseous & depressed & I have no appetite .After being prescribed the Imitrex I took it as soon as I felt the migraine come on. About 30 minutes in I started to feel my neck and throat feeling tight and my whole head have this burning sensation. I started to panic a little. Then an hour passed and I’m full blown in pain all over my body, I’m talking aching so bad it felt like I had the worst flu in history ... but my migraine was gone . Yes it took care of my migraine but were the body aches that lasted almost the whole day worth it ? I don’t think so ”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 22, 2019

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “I suffered for years with migraines until I saw a specialist. He prescribed me 100mg dosage. I get almost instant relief. I do get a stiff neck sometimes but it only lasts about 15 minutes and my migraine is completely gone. I can’t live without this medication!”

MSII February 24, 2014

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “I come from a family where everyone has terrible migraines. When I started getting them at age 21, I resorted to taking loads of Tylenol with Pesudophedrine to "mask" the pain, which took a heavy toll on my liver. Someone suggested that I look into the Triptan family of migraine medication. After going through a few different ones, I found Imitrex to be an absolute life-saver. Whenever I feel one coming, I take 50mg and the migraine usually disappears within 30 minutes. If I wait a few hours to take it, the response time could be more like 90 minutes. With 10-15 migraines a month, Imitrex is essentially the only thing that allows me to function. I have not seen any real side effects.”

gem · Taken for 10 years or more December 31, 2020

For Migraine: “I always got Dr. Reddy's 50 mg sumatriptan with each pill wrapped individually in paper/tinfoil/sealed. I got a prescription in a bottle with the pills inside, loose. When I take those (in the bottle), I get a terrible back pain going down my spine and different areas of my back, neck, and throat. It is so bad that I have to give myself a massage with a hand-held massage machine over the painful areas. It lasts about 20 minutes. My migraine does go away, but I have never had this pain after taking the pills in the bottle. It is a mystery??”

Migraineur · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 3, 2019

For Migraine: “I am medication sensitive and was scared to take sumatriptan based on reviews. It was totally fine. Minimal side effects just fatigue—but who wants to stay awake during a migraine. I get a great sleep. Sometimes I have a bit of a migraine/medication hangover and am groggy. It’s still much better than curling up in a dark room in bed crying with an ice pack on your head wondering if you’re having a stroke or if it’s just a migraine. Take it early when you first notice symptoms! Sometimes I take it with tylanol. So glad I found this!”

Vet1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 31, 2019

For Migraine: “Take as directed when I feel the migraine coming on and sometimes there is no change at all. Other times, like today, within 10 minutes my heart is pounding, my left jaw and nose and scalp are on fire and my migraine has advanced to dizzying pain. I have no idea what is going on, but I will be going back to tylenol until I get back to the doctor's office...”

nathalieo · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 28, 2019

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “I wanted to share a positive experience here. I've been a migraine sufferer since 17 and I am now 24. I am one of the lucky ones who found imitrex to work first try back then, and continues to take it to this day. This drug is a miracle for me. I admit that I have had to bump my doses from 50mg to 100mg, but it still works the same. I am also lucky that I only need it once a month around the start of my period, however when I was younger I used to need them 5 times a month or so. Anyway, I just take one and in about 45-60 minutes the pain and nausea start to get better. It usually takes 90 minutes for them to be fully gone. I do sometimes get a feeling similar to whiplash (stiff neck and shoulders) and sore scalp but the side effects are far better than a migraine. My migraines stay away and I never have to take another pill, until the next month. I'm very thankful for this medicine.”

housewifeandmother September 22, 2014

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “My husband has always what's called prostrating attacks, which is a form of a migraine that leaves him in so much pain he can't function at all! The only medication that has ever worked on him is the Imitrex. This stuff is awesome! The only thing that is irritating is every time I get his prescription filled the pharmacist try to give him the Sumatriptan (the generic version) which makes him so sick he will throw up nonstop for hours. So I always have to tell them he needs the name brand, and I have gotten into many arguments with pharmacists trying to tell me it's the same thing. IT'S NOT!!!! When my husband takes Imitrex his migraine is gone within minutes, he takes a Sumatriptan and I feel like I need to take him to a hospital.”

Rainy113 July 16, 2019

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “I have had migraines since I was a kid. Diagnosed as sinus for many years until one dr asked me to try imitrex. It was like a miracle. I thought I would have to suffer with 3 to 4 day long headaches that feel like a knife in my temple the rest of my life. But imitrex knocks it out in 30-40 min. There are side effects: muscle aches, tiredness, sensitive skin and the need to pee constantly. Annoying but of you've had migraines for years it is a good trade off. I take a naproxen at the same time to help with body aches.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

For Migraine: “After suffering from constant pounding headaches for the last two weeks this medication was a god send! I was finally diagnosed with migraines after years of headaches. I had heard some worrying things about the associated side effects but the worst it got for me was worsening of neck and shoulder pain which was there anyway . The headache was relieved in an hour, best I have felt in two weeks! Woken up today, headache free and neck is fine! For all you out there struggling, it’s worth a try, don’t scare yourself with potential side effects, let’s be honest you can get side effects from taking simple pain killers!”

Eric · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 17, 2019

For Migraine: “I have been suffering from migraines for about 20 years. At first, OTC painkillers like Excedrin Migraine would do the trick, but about 10 years ago, nothing seemed to reduce the pain in the least bit. I get about 3 migraines per month that last about 3 days. My doctor prescribed Propranolol which I take twice a day and it has reduced the frequency of my attacks. I take a 50mg Sumatriptan at the first signs of a migraine and within an hour, it completely goes away. Thankfully I don’t suffer any bad side effects. I’ll feel a little foggy for a few hours but that’s about it. I literally cannot live without it! It has saved my life!”

Suzi · Taken for 10 years or more December 10, 2019

For Migraine: “I haven't had migraines in years--about 19 years. Now, every once in awhile, maybe twice a year, I get an aura. I take the sumatriptan, and I swear, within 10 to 15 minutes the aura is gone; no migraine to follow! I am so appreciative of this drug, I would like to thank the manufacturers of it. I wish that all drugs worked as well. Thank you!!”

Anonymous February 1, 2019

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “It makes me crazy when I read that somebody waits until their headache is off the charts to take Imitrex. I have been suffering for over 25 years with migraines and then Imitrex came on the scene that was the end of the migraines. The symptoms always began behind my right eyeball and I was able to tell that's a headache was coming and that's when I took the Imitrex immediately when I started feeling symptoms not waiting until my headache is full-blown, which seems sensible to me. It is better to knock it on the head when it isn't to back so you don't have to endure it to long.”

Oliviaannes June 26, 2017

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “I've been experiencing migraines for about 3 years now. The pain is always on one side of my head and is completely debilitating. I used to have to take a bunch of Ibuprofen and sleep in a cool dark room until it went away which took forever. Finally, I was introduced to this medicine. I took it a few hours into my migraine and the pain was gone within 15 minutes. The medicine made me feel a little weird, like my senses were overly receptive and my skin was a bit tingly. These temporary symptoms are NOTHING compared to the migraine, I've learned to like these odd side effects because that's how I know my migraine is leaving. This is a miracle drug and over the past year I've been taking it, it's never failed to relieve the pain.”

Pegg May 28, 2020

For Migraine: “I've always suffered with migraine since I was a child. Now they are usually self-induced I don't eat right or if I go out drinking there's no sense in taking any kind of over-the-counter pain medication or even strong pain medication I just throw it up the only thing it did relieve any pain was hot water. I was introduced to Imitrex a year-and-a-half ago unbelievable when I have them with me I feel safe does it matter if I take them as soon as I feel symptoms or after the headache is gotten to me it takes it right away I take mine with one Bayer aspirin and a Sudafed 20 minutes I'm asleep wake up about 45 minutes later I feel great I think they're golden.”

Allie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 14, 2020

For Migraine: “sumatriptan works really well for me. The pain relievers didn’t always work for me and I used to spend a few days in bed not being able to do anything- but Sumatriptan always worked so far, so I’m happy with it. I do feel quite hazy and sleepy after taking a pill, but the migraine goes away quickly and it doesn’t come back. I take it rarely, only around once a month and only for migraines.”

dan · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 28, 2019

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “this medication will take a migraine away in 20 minutes. If you have work that day or are trying to get to sleep this in invaluable to me once or twice a month. It stops the pounding quickly, especially accompanying a hot bath.”