User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Imitrex, Imitrex Statdose, Tosymra, Onzetra Xsail, Zembrace SymTouch, Imitrex Nasal

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome 8.8
Cluster Headaches 8.4
Migraine 7.7
New Daily Persistent Headache 7.1
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 7.8 461 reviews

Reviews for Sumatriptan

UKlady June 1, 2020

For Migraine: “Sumatriptan, when taken as early as possible (thankfully I can almost predict a migraine to the day because they are 1-3 days before my period) get rid of the pain so well. I don't even take anything else alongside it which I believe you can. I get pain free inside 40 minutes with a little rest, which is amazing when I know how brutal the migraines can be. A small side effect is a tight feeling in the throat area but it's so mild and the feeling only lasts an hour or two. I know sumatriptan is not ideal for everyone, the possible side effects can be off-putting, but as an otherwise fit and healthy lady I recommend it to similar people. I only have 1 or two migraines a month (the second seems to be an ovulation migraine caused by the sudden rise in hormones, again predictable with a regular menstrual cycle). I'm very lucky to only need one or two Sumatran tablets a month, 2 weeks apart. I'm not sure I would want to be taking lots of these a month, but for my needs they are a god send!”

Pegg May 28, 2020

For Migraine: “I've always suffered with migraine since I was a child. Now they are usually self-induced I don't eat right or if I go out drinking there's no sense in taking any kind of over-the-counter pain medication or even strong pain medication I just throw it up the only thing it did relieve any pain was hot water. I was introduced to Imitrex a year-and-a-half ago unbelievable when I have them with me I feel safe does it matter if I take them as soon as I feel symptoms or after the headache is gotten to me it takes it right away I take mine with one Bayer aspirin and a Sudafed 20 minutes I'm asleep wake up about 45 minutes later I feel great I think they're golden.”

Kimmy · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

For Migraine: “Hi all, so I have suffered migraine for 35yrs now, initially was on sumatriptan tabs only, didn't particularly work, so after much pleading with GP in Oct finally saw neuro. They gave me nortriptyline 25mg for a week then increased the dose to 50mg and zomigtriptan dissolve 2.5mg for when I get a migraine. So I was doing fantastic from Oct to Jan no migraine and going from 3 a mth on average for what seems a lifetime to nothing was amazing UNTIL January. I had two week long ones and another early . Feb. Anyway I saw consultant yesterday 26th Feb, was upped to 75mg nortriptyline and given imigran injection to try. Sods law developed one yesterday pm . So took first injection at 11.15am and within an hour I felt better but not 100% so I'm unsure what to think. I can manage my day but wearing my special glasses, and no throbbing but teeny bit of pain. I hope with increasing the nortriptyline all will be well. Xx”

Triele the · Taken for 10 years or more February 26, 2020

For Migraine: “I started using Imitrex more than 20 years ago when it was only available as an injection. I had headache both sides of head. Not a migraine by definition. The tablet works for me only if taken with food. I split 50 mg tablets in half for dose. Neck becomes weak right after taking, this feeling goes away after a few minutes. 6 to 10 hours after taking my mood becomes easily irritable.”

Momma · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2020

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “Worst cramping, vomiting and neck pain I've ever had. Made my migraine worse. I could barely function.”

Hani January 25, 2020

For Migraine: “Hi I am 32 years old now and migraine sufferer last 25 years now my neurologist proscribed 50 mg sumatriptan it’s really very fantastic I take it with Advil it effects like a miracle it’s really works fast.”

Anonymous January 23, 2020

For Migraine: “I get very bad migraines that make me stay in bed for hours. I was prescribed sumitriptan and I took it to see if it worked. It did not really relieve my migraine and it made me feel nauseous and super weak. I got chest pain and my arms felt very heavy.”

Mike Sea · Taken for 10 years or more January 15, 2020

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “I found Imitrex works well if I take it the second I feel any of the migraine symptoms. If I wait even 20 minutes past that it'll usually make the headache worse. I suffer migraines with auras and cluster headaches. Like most everyone there is no way to function once a headache starts. Mine starts when the barometric pressure raises or lowers with cold fronts, hurricanes any weather condition that changes the barometric pressure. The pain is rough but the confusion and not able to function for sometimes days on end is the worst. Only advice I could give anyone with this drug is if you know your body well enough to know a migraine or cluster headache is starting take it immediately, don't wait! That is the only way it works for me. When it does work it is amazing! A wonderful tool to the Arsenal to fight these crippling headaches. Iif someone has never had a migraine they truly will never understand the pain we're going through.”

Vet1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 31, 2019

For Migraine: “Take as directed when I feel the migraine coming on and sometimes there is no change at all. Other times, like today, within 10 minutes my heart is pounding, my left jaw and nose and scalp are on fire and my migraine has advanced to dizzying pain. I have no idea what is going on, but I will be going back to tylenol until I get back to the doctor's office...”

Nicky · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2019

Imitrex Nasal (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “I LOVE this product ( the nasal imtrex) . I used to vomit terribly with the oral sumatriptan on top of getting very tired and also get rebound headaches. This works in about 9 mins and I get pain free sign no side effects!”

Eric · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 17, 2019

For Migraine: “I have been suffering from migraines for about 20 years. At first, OTC painkillers like Excedrin Migraine would do the trick, but about 10 years ago, nothing seemed to reduce the pain in the least bit. I get about 3 migraines per month that last about 3 days. My doctor prescribed Propranolol which I take twice a day and it has reduced the frequency of my attacks. I take a 50mg Sumatriptan at the first signs of a migraine and within an hour, it completely goes away. Thankfully I don’t suffer any bad side effects. I’ll feel a little foggy for a few hours but that’s about it. I literally cannot live without it! It has saved my life!”

TinyMayra · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2019

For Migraine: “High blood pressure, jaw, neck and chest tightening”

Suzi · Taken for 10 years or more December 10, 2019

For Migraine: “I haven't had migraines in years--about 19 years. Now, every once in awhile, maybe twice a year, I get an aura. I take the sumatriptan, and I swear, within 10 to 15 minutes the aura is gone; no migraine to follow! I am so appreciative of this drug, I would like to thank the manufacturers of it. I wish that all drugs worked as well. Thank you!!”

dan · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 28, 2019

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “this medication will take a migraine away in 20 minutes. If you have work that day or are trying to get to sleep this in invaluable to me once or twice a month. It stops the pounding quickly, especially accompanying a hot bath.”

Kay · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 26, 2019

For Migraine: “Used to take these sumatriptan every time I had a migraine and aura 100mg and everything was fine. A few days ago I felt symptoms coming on and took one. Worst experience of my life. Severe nausea, diarrhoea, worsening of headache, chest pains, numb pain in left arm, muscle clenching involuntarily, Jaw pain, severe anxiety. Ended up in ER crying and feeling like I was high on drugs. Days later I do not feel myself I feel anxious, panicky and down in my mood. Please be careful these drugs are NOT safe for everyone despite me having taken them many times before. I will not ever take one again.”

Makinmagic · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 21, 2019

For Migraine: “I get monthly hormonal migraines (during my period), and sometimes one in the middle of the cycle. They are really, really bad. Before Sumatriptan I had to stay in bed all day, snacking on Tylenol like candy (without much effect). Sumatriptan does work. The key is to take it as early as possible. Just when you feel the first tingles of pain - take it. Usually in 30-40 minutes I am pain free. It does come with pretty nasty side effects. For me it's extreme weakness, very heavy feeling arms and legs, low blood pressure and general feel of being unwell. So even after taking it, I have to take it easy - just stay comfortable, watch a movie, read a book, and stay in bed. I usually feel so weak, I can barely walk. But it sure as anything beats being in such a severe pain that you consider calling an ambulance.”

Kazz November 16, 2019

For New Daily Persistent Headache: “I suffer with very bad anxiety and stress so as a result of this I get regular tension headaches. Normal painkillers, paracetomol, ibuprofen etc don't work so I visited my GP who prescribed sumatriptan and from day one of using these the headaches went within one hour. In my experience, they are the best medication for headaches. I'm lucky I don't have any side effects as some of my friends do.”

Helokon · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 1, 2019

For Migraine: “I have used sumatriptan injections for at least 4 years. I suffer from chronic migraine and occasional cluster headaches. If caught early the injections work well. They are especially good if you are physically sick during a migraine and cannot keep oral medication down. I find them unpleasant to take and my headache intensifies for several minutes after administration. Now that I have been on them for so long they aren’t as effective as they were and the headache usually dulls rather than disappears, I also often have to take two for the same migraine. I haven’t found anything else that works as well however. I am lucky living in Scotland where prescriptions are free but am aware these injections can be expensive.”

Stoney · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 30, 2019

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “I couldn't live without this little pill. Imitrex/sumatriptan is a miracle drug afaik (as far as I know). It knocks out my crippling full-body migraines every time. So many women and some men don't even know it exists, which is a cruel twist of fate. It should be available OTC without a prescription Imho.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

For Migraine: “After suffering from constant pounding headaches for the last two weeks this medication was a god send! I was finally diagnosed with migraines after years of headaches. I had heard some worrying things about the associated side effects but the worst it got for me was worsening of neck and shoulder pain which was there anyway . The headache was relieved in an hour, best I have felt in two weeks! Woken up today, headache free and neck is fine! For all you out there struggling, it’s worth a try, don’t scare yourself with potential side effects, let’s be honest you can get side effects from taking simple pain killers!”

Katelyn · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2019

For Migraine: “Instantly made my migraine Exponentially worse!!!!!”

Missing · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 26, 2019

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “Really works. I was glad my doctor recommended.”

3frommigraine · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2019

For Migraine: “Having used paracetamol, then Migraleve with codeine - these sumatriptan just didn't relieve the 8 day constant and intensified migraine pain I was experiencing. On my second visit to the doctors in one week, I was upgraded to stronger prescription meds of triptans and naproxen. Within 4 hours the pain and misery disappeared. The pain was 9/10 and now 2/10 so I just wished the first Dr. had recommended this then, so I didn't have to go through agony for 4 more days but hey, I guess no one knows what strength is needed without going through the motions.”

Jenn October 18, 2019

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: “I almost always get migraines around my period or times of extreme stress. I was getting a migraine that began as nausea, hot flashes, dizziness and weakness the entire day. That night the pain started so I took 25 mg imitrex in 90 min the pain was gone. I felt some pressure where the pain had been and couldn’t lay on that side. A week later I feel another migraine come on and I wasn’t sure it was a migraine until the nausea came. Took imitrex again and the pain went away after 2 hours but then I got super drowsy and fell asleep and woke up an hour later shaky and anxious. I had not had a good nights sleep the day before so those symptoms may be attributed to lack of sleep but they went away after a few hours. I did try imitrex in the middle of a migraine with nausea, blurry vision, severe pain and it didn’t help. I was discouraged and did not take a second dose that time. I suggest taking imitrex as soon as you feel pain”

Mike · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 13, 2019

For Cluster Headaches: “I've had cluster headaches for about 10 years. Brutal, soul crushing headaches maybe 100 to 200 times more painful than a common tension headache. Read about Sumatran and asked my doctor. He prescribed it about 2 years ago. It's been a miracle for me. Completely gets rid of the headache within 15 to 20 minutes. No side effects of any kind. To those who have experienced side effects I might suggest taking a half or even a quarter dose. I was prescribed 20 mg and I usually cut them in half and 10 mg works great for me. If 10 mg is an effective dose, at least for some people as I can attest, then I can only imagine what taking 10 times the dose for your body or system might do, as I'm reading some people here were prescribed 50 or even 100 mg. Hope this helps.”