User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity, Zembrace SymTouch

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome 3 reviews 0 medications

New Daily Persistent Headache 5 reviews 0 medications

7.8
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 284 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Sumatriptan

For Migraine: "I have had diagnosed migraines for about 16 years, have tried many different doctors and medications. I just couldn't believe a pain horrible enough to cause vomiting & wanting to stop living was randomly daignosed as "migraine". No known cause or cure! Headaches put me down for two solid days and were sometimes twice per week. No life!!! I was prescribed Sumatriptan 100mg tablets & OMG, miraculous!!! Take one at the onset of headache & its gone in around 20 minutes. Tightness in shouldes, chest quickly passes. My life has been changed by this medication, I am so thankful!!! I have no other side affects, alert & able to go about my life/job. YAAAYYYY!!"

FreeToLive!!! September 22, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Tried 50mg of imitrex, and in addition to the body aches and burning most describe, my migraine shifted to neck/headache. My pain level was turned up to 11. It's a horrible drug when one would rather a mograine"

imitrex is meant to kill you (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

For Migraine: "Sumitriptan injectons is the only drug that has ever worked for my chronic migraines. Such a lifesaver, would not want to think about life without it!"

CDli September 17, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "Relieved migraine and reduced temperature in ,15 minutes first time - has never taken longer than 30 mins to act. Quite impressed with this, worked when codeine and others failed."

GLJ September 15, 2016

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I love this medicine, when it works. Recently I've had a problem with it failing to inject. I will press it on my leg and nothing happens. I've reported the problem to ENDO and never heard back. I also reported the problem to CVS. In both cases I turned over the non-working needle less shots. I really depend on this medicine when I have migraines because it works like a charm but i find the injections to be unreliable..."

MJ MJ September 11, 2016

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have been a long time sufferer of migraines for 21 years on my life, and I am 40 so half of my life. I have been on many many daily meds and meds to take to help with the pain to heavy narcotics. This is the ONLY inject able that helps with my migraines. I try my normal thing of IB Profin and a benadryl and if that does not work after a few hours I use Sumavel DosePro and with in 10 minutes, 90 % of the time I am migraine free and ready to go though my day. This works for onsets to walking up with a full blown migraine."

AshleyJNHRT September 9, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Imitrex works wellto rid me of my migraines a few hours after I have taken it, but the side effects for me are pretty bad. It makes me feel really weird and it seems like my whole body is achy and muscles are burning. Of course, the side effects that I get from this medicine is nothing compared to a full blown migraine hence why I've been taking it all these years. I will be talking with my doctor at my next visit though about switching medicines because I'm sick of feeling like crap after taking it."

Dreadzy (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 6, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I was diagnosed with severe migraines a little over a year and a half ago. I was prescribed Nortriptyline as an everyday medication and Imitrex as a "needed emergency pain reliever." The Nortriptyline doesn't always work, and since I am a teenager, I am still in school. If I get a migraine in school, I am supposed to take an Imitrex and go straight back to class. Unfortunately for me, the Imitrex makes me extremely drowsy and sometimes delirious, usually forcing me to go home and still live with the pain of migraines for at least another 12 hours, but it can still last for up to 3 days afterwards. Thankfully, the Nortriptyline works 95% of the time, but the Imitrex only works a good 75% of the time, and then I'm still put out of commission."

Leam September 5, 2016

For New Daily Persistent Headache: "I love this medicine. I suffer from eye pain then a knot in my back muscle then vision aura and light flashes then here it comes the vice feeling in my right side of my head. That knaws at me all day unless I take sumatriptan within 15 minutes I'm a new person The only down fall is my doctor won't let me take more than 9 a 2 week period. So I suffer in between nothing else works this medicine is s miracle worker"

Theresa G September 1, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I've had migraines since age 12, so 30 years. I received Imitrex at 25 and am forever grateful! I average one migraine every 2-3 months, usually w/changes in weather and/or interrupted or reduced sleep. If I recognize the aura phase (usually smells, sometimes halos or light streaks/trails), and take Imitrex within the first couple of hours, it can completely ward off the pain. If I don't catch it in the aura and take it after actual pain hits, it's still helpful but I will still be subject to 2-3 days pain and need recurring doses, plus I supplement Imitrex with naproxen and caffeine. But it works. I've gone from being bed-bound in a dark, silent room to being able to work- even w/flourescent lights- without vomiting or worse. Life changing"

Monkeys Mama (taken for 10 years or more) August 30, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "Very bad experience/reaction with only half a dose! 1) Did not take away headache. 2) Increase in pain, heavy weight feeling on my chest, shortness of breath, cold sweats. This med was a nightmare for me! I felt immediate pain and pressure in head, neck and shoulders. The worst however was feeling like a one hundred pound weight on my chest. Additionally, nausea and cold sweats and feeling like I was in big trouble (practically and ER trip)! Beware of this med, it may not be for everyone! Will go back to 3 advil and a coke or my fiorocet. Cure is worse than the disease in this case for me!"

jenty9 August 19, 2016

For Migraine: "I have had migraines for as long as I could remember especially when it's bright, loud noises or when I'm on my phone. I had a really bad migraine and I took a tablet as directed and I felt horrible after. So bad it brought me to tears. The migraine worsened and I felt nauseous and sick. Never will take again."

Ashley MC August 13, 2016

For Migraine: "I have suffered from migraines since I was twelve, but a year ago (I am 24 now), they started to get more frequent and crippling. During one particularly excruciating attack, I called my GP crying. She prescribed me sumatriptan (tablet form), and it has been great. It takes away all of the pain within an hour, even if I take it while the migraine is already past the initial stages. I do get side-effects - slight loss of sensation in my extremities, fatigue and a feeling as if there is a weight on my chest. The first time this worried me, but now I'm used to it. It's a bit uncomfortable, but so much better than going through a full-blown migraine attack."

Marieke1992 August 12, 2016

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have a serious issue with Migraines. Almost 6 a week. When the device was first prescribed back in 2010, I did not have a problem since they were coming from San Diego from Telegenics. Once ENDO started producing the product, all I have are failures. I have had as many as 5 of 6 in a box fail to work. I have had several that after I tried to use them, they spontaneously "went off" on the bathroom counter. Luckily not in my face. I have contacted ENDO, at this point now early August 2016, I have not received even 1 replacement for the 18 that failed. You know the cost. My insurance will stop paying for them in a couple of months. I reported every one to Endo. But the issue is getting worse. I have reported this chronic issue to the FDA"

Californiagal (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 11, 2016

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Absolutely amazing. Never found anything that could take away a migraine until my doctor prescribed this! My migraines are gone within 20 minutes of the shot. I've suffered with them since a child and now at 25 I found something that really works. This medication is a blessing to me!"

Ali B. August 9, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had chronic migraines for as long as I can remember. To the point where I can't even talk to answer questions, walk straight, I have been accused of being drunk or high because if it. They could last up to three days, the first time I tried imitrex.... It was quite literally the Holy grail from then on. The pills take away any aura or migraine in about 20 to 30 minutes and the shots give immediate relief. Wether or not it's a placebo, I swear to the gods, as soon as you inject into your upper thigh your migraine goes down a few pegs. Within a few minutes, nearly or entirely gone. If you have migraines or clusters ask your doctor. Don't take irresponsibly because it can have some weird effects on people."

Nickystevens (taken for 10 years or more) August 3, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "severe migraines for years....... took Imitrex shots. Immediate, and I mean immediate relief. Needle is very tiny and you put it up to the side of your thigh. Highly recommend."

starfish 1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2016

For Migraine: "I'd taken Excedrin for years w/some effectiveness & then had a streak where headaches would return within a day and sought medical attention. An urgent care doctor prescribed Bubalbital-APAP-Caffeine and I used it as needed for about a year and was happy with the results, but the prescription was running out. Because the medication was prescribed by an urgent care doctor the prescription couldn't be refilled, so I had to see an internal medicine doctor and he prescribed Sumatriptan. After taking the medicine today it did eventually take away my visual auras and it seems to block the full on migraine, but I feel kind of crummy with sinus drainage and pressure, grogginess and slight nausea. Going to try w/pain reliever Naproxen."

Mixed29 July 14, 2016

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "It works well when you can get to inject. This prescription with out insurance is over $900.00. I have had numerous instances where it did not inject. I have 3 out of 6 in my last prescription that failed. I just got satisfaction on a failed injector from January 2016. I now take the same prescription and it only is a $10 co pay where Suma Vel is &150 co pay. Robbery and the Endo pharmasuticals shood be ashamed"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "Words cannot express how grateful I am for this medicine. I have dealt with these crippling headaches since my mid 20's. Now in my mid-30's, I finally happened upon a physician (at a CareNow of all places) who actually listened to me as I told him of the nightmare I face at least three times a day, every day, for months on end, and prescribed Imitrex for me. If taken at the very first sign of an attack, these little beauties (I take the oral) can save you 30 minutes to several hours of unimaginable pain. I cannot recommend enough that my fellow cluster headache sufferers ask their doctor about considering Imitrex. While there's no cure, this is the closest thing I've found so far that at least makes living with these headaches bearable"

ClusterScrewed June 30, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "Had these headaches since I was 11. In my 20's did every test scan etc... No explanation. Only help offered was a highly addictive narcotic. I chose to skip it. My life was severely affected- I had headaches when happy, sad, having fun, pms, special occasion, etc.... Everyone knew my headaches were 3+ days of barely functioning. Then my daughter started getting them- game changer for me. Could not let her suffer the same way. Dr prescribed Imitrex (generic). It works for both of us!! We feel like we can live without fear of the next one. She is out of the country for 6 weeks- without this she never could have gone! Our lives are totally different now!"

Mom&kid June 27, 2016

For Migraine: "I am 57 and had been having migraines (severe enough to cause vomiting) for about 10 years without knowing what they were. Was diagnosed a few months ago and given Sumatriptan. It has changed my life. No side effects at all. I take 1/2 to 1 pill when early signs appear, and some naproxen. Within 1/2 hour or so I am fine and life goes on."

Musicman Joe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I am 57. For about 10 years I have had occasional episodes of acute headaches to the point of vomiting. Finally got diagnosed with migraine about 8 months ago (for some reason it never crossed my mind despite a family history of it). Was prescribed sumatriptan. Now, when I feel a migraine coming on I take 1/2 or 1 pill, along with naproxen. Headache is gone within 1/2 hour. My life has greatly improved. No side effects at all."

Musicman Joe June 22, 2016

For Migraine: "I actually had zero problems with this medication. It made me sleepy but I did take it at night (when my headache first occurred). I also take a low dosage of Zoloft. Not sure if that helped curve side effects as the doctor did tell me it could cause SHORT TERM (1 hour) heart attack symptoms/bubble in throat. I had hot flashes but I already have them so I can't say sumatriptan was to blame. My insurance paid for 9 tablets a month, I get 50mg oral."

Lisa456789 June 18, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "I've suffered from cluster headaches since I was 14 years old I'm 35 now. My last headache was in 2013 shortly after my mother passed. I thought I had out grown the headaches but May of 2016 here I go again going into my second month of having them everyday. I've tried imitrex you name it sometimes painkillers work sometimes they don't but like many other cluster headaches suffers Ive been threw hell.I don't know what do I'm a truck driver and it makes it hard to do my job even after the headache have gone. I just wanted to share my experience"

Strick June 14, 2016