User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity, Zembrace SymTouch

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome

New Daily Persistent Headache
6.7

Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 8.1 379 reviews

Reviews for Sumatriptan

For Migraine: "This med has been a life saver for me and I have been on it many years. I get migraines that cause pain all in my head, neck, shoulders as well as nausea/vomiting, mood change, inability to think straight etc. The first time I took it I remember feeling a warm dull pressure (not painful though) in my neck and shoulders, but I've never experienced it since then. This med completely gets rid of my headache within about 30 minutes. I am SO thankful my dr. prescribed this to me years ago-it's improved my quality of life. I am however, looking to move to a new state with less barometric pressure changes, seeing as I live in one of the worst cities for migraines. My guess is location is the cause of migraines for the majority of people."

Bug (taken for 10 years or more) August 15, 2018

For Migraine: "My migraine aura lasted less than 10 minutes after taking one dose. Was back to normal functioning: playing with my son, making dinner, watching TV within 30 mins. Very pleased with the results."

SKGreen (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2018

For Migraine: "The medication side effects just added to my migraine symptoms, making it an even worse experience, and didn't even relieve me of the migraine for more than a few hours if even that. When I couldn't stand it anymore and asked for a new medication I was given rizatriptan which didn't have as bad of side effects, but still didn't relieve my migraine in the slightest. I also feel my migraine frequency went up during this time, but that might have been a coincidence."

Purple (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "This drug will get rid of my migraine about 70% of the time, but I only use it when nothing else works because the side effects are almost as bad as the migraine itself. It makes my skin feel prickly and tight, and my throat feels tight and like I can't swallow. It gives me such intense nausea that I often don't speak when I take it because I feel like if I open my mouth, I'll throw up. From trial and error, the nausea seems to abate if I take it with food, but if I forget to take it with food I have to force myself to eat through the nausea. My brain also feels really foggy and basic actions are difficult when I take it. I'm glad there are people who don't react like this, but I am definitely asking to be switched to a different medication."

ElectricHarpsichord (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2018

For Migraine: "I just took 100mg two hours ago. The first ten minutes were fine. Next 30 minutes, I felt dazed and heavy. Next 30 minutes I felt fine, migraine gone. But after those 30 minutes... you know the feeling you get when you laugh or smile too long and your cheeks hurt.. well, that is everywhere. Just pure exhaustion with occasional pain. Stiff neck on the side I usually get migraine pain. Possible fever, lots of nausea right now. Random, but I sneezed and it killed in my neck. Glands are swollen. Throat isn’t tight though. "

Bkell (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had migraines (growing blind spots, with nausea and pain), and also tension migraines since childhood. Starting with my 3rd child, I started getting debiltating migraines. I’m talking, tingling fingers, trying to talk but my brain can’t find my words, PAIN that lasts at least 2 days with 1-2 of my brain not working. I tried Fioricet and it didn’t work. Magnesium aspartate supplements helped a ton with the tension and blindness headaches. Finally my dr gave me this and OH MY GOSH 30 mins later I felt so much better, by an hour it was gone!! I still feel like my brain is dulled for several hours but even though I can no longer feel the headache, it’s still there messing stuff up. On occasion I have to take two. If I let the pain get really bad before I take it, it takes longer to work. I can usually count on it being gone for 6-20 hours before I need to take again. I love it. Yes, neck stiffness, some jaw tightness... A MILLION AND TWELVE PERCENT better than a migraine though."

Kdhow (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2018

For Cluster Headaches: "I have been having chronic cluster headaches for the last 15 years. I have at least two per day and as many as 5 then for some crazy reason during my anniversary month they go up to 9 or 10. I have taken everything under the sun recently prescribed the injection pack it is the most successful med I’ve tried but here’s the draw back I can only take two shots per day so what do I do for the rest of my migraines. My doc painted a bad pic of taking to many shots. This drug is a tease why can’t someone make this so I can take 4 or 5 a day please"

Pain (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2018

For Migraine: "Every time I take this medicine my throat and neck become so tense and sore. I also feel tired and loopy. It does make the migraine better. Currently trying to decide if it's worth the side effects or not. "

Danner (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had menstrual headaches, so predictable for 10 years. Once a month, 36 hours or so, can't even lay on my head migraines. Just suffered through. Tried Imitrex last December and feel like I've been freed from bondage. I don't get a high or sleepy sensation, just relief, especially when taken with 2 Advil. I do not not have I ever uses prescription, pain meds. Seldom use even any NSAIDs. I was not interested in pain meds so this was a great option and a miracle. I can even take 2 without side effects. Sorry to those who have poor outcomes. FYI- I was discussing it today with a colleague and she said she felt high and loopy. I was stunned. Now in reading this, I see some people do react that way. So I guess I would say, take half, at home with someone around. Then make a choice from that result. Good luck!"

Concerned user (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2018

For Migraine: "I take 100mg pill when the feeling of a migraine is coming on and this stops the migraine from getting worse within 30 minutes. It would take up to 2 hours for the migraine to be completely gone. I have recently switched to the 25mg nasal spray and found this to be even more effective. Taken on the onset it stopped the migraine from getting worse within a few minutes and gone in under 1 hour. I have not experienced any side affects either. The only negative thing I would say is not about the drug, but how it is dispensed. I am only allowed 9 doses a month and some months I have a need for more than this."

grady (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 29, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "I had episodic clusters. Imitrex injections relieved the pain within 10 seconds. Clusters are all gone now."

Glen4512 April 10, 2018

For Migraine: "Was prescribed this drug to treat my migraine and it has made my migraine so much worse."

Micke (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

For Migraine: "Works well every time!!!"

Ac (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 4, 2018

For Migraine: "I was prescribed this medication for migraine. I took it at work during my lunch for the first time....big mistake. My head felt like a swollen balloon, I was disoriented, loopy, delusional, heavy, weird as ever and very tired. I wanted to lay down on my desk and cry or go home but I could not. My dosage was 100 mg. The next time I took it I cut it in half and it was not as bad of a feeling than before. I recommend to try it at home first to see how your body reacts first..not at work lol"

Cw March 29, 2018

For Migraine: "I have been on this medication for over 5 years. I rated it 9 stars because it did work well to stop my migraine in it's tracks,( within an hour ). I would only take half at a time due to side affects of fatigue and dizziness. HOWEVER, my body became dependent upon it. A few years into starting sumatriptan, I began experiencing almost daily rebound headaches/migraines. For several years I struggled with changing diet, eliminating caffeine, foods, other triggers, and taking all the preventative meds on the market, to no avail. Recently I saw my MD instead of the Nurse practitioner. He advised me that triptans CAN cause rebounds for some people. He changed my meds. After a week, I was back to my usual 1 or 2 migraines a week."

Sunshine (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 20, 2018

For Migraine: "Truly awful experience. I've been nervous about using this medication but I've taken too much time off of work for migraines so I took a pill this morning before leaving the house. By the time I got to work, my sinuses and throat were both sore. Then I got lightheaded, dizzy, and my chest and throat tightened up like I couldn't breathe. I had to go lie down, praying the side effects would lighten up. Two hours later, I am now enjoying stiffness in my shoulders and muscle aches throughout my hips and legs on top of everything else. Sorry, but never, ever again."

kittenquisition (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

For Migraine: "So last night I felt a migraine coming on in the back of my head . I took my dosage of 50 miligrams and fell fast asleep no side effects. Woke up feeling refreshed . I had worried , and quickly decided it may be different for others as to the reviews I have read ."

nicole (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I was on both Fioricet and this medication in small injection form for almost 15 years, worked well especially since I get the works upon the start of a migraine. Everything from aura to loss of arm and hand motor function to slurred speech. Almost identical to a stroke that clears up after 24 to 48 hours. Only down side was the tightening of the neck and jaw muscles but other than that it did shorten the migraine length and severity. Now move 10 years later and was dropped off the Imitrex and ended up in the hospital from a car accident and began a severe migraine and was given an Imitrex inhaler and I ended up with bad chest pains and was told to never tried it again."

Raged Maniac March 17, 2018

For Migraine: "Just started having migraines at 45 (gee- wonder why... lol). Tried all the OTC and homeopathic treatment I could find. Gave up and started with Relpax. My insurance wouldn’t help so it was $115 for 6. Then my dr had me try 50 mg Sumpitriptan ( generic imitrex) and very inexpensive. Always works within an hour and normally my migraines last 36 hours on any OTC med. I can’t take more than 2 doses in a 5 day stretch or I’m up for days with leg cramps tho. In desperation, I’ve started Topomax 50 mg as preventative but it’s about 20% effective and not worth the side effects for me ( lack of focus; numbness; tired)."

It works.... but (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2018

For Migraine: "Nothing Over the counter has ever helped. Got a prescription for Sumatriptan and Took 50mg and knocked out pain. Next time tried 25mg and it only dulled pain for a few hours. So far took on 3 occasions with positive results and no side effects. I am 150 lbs male."

Spurgeon (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I took this today when I felt a migraine coming on the left side (eye pain, watery eyes, runny nose, nausea) and within 20 mins the migraine was completely gone. I burped a bit and felt kinda loopy for like 5-10 min the. Bam gone as if it never happened. Can’t believe I went so long not without imitrex. Missed so much work and fun times due to migraines before."

Migraine897 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have suffered from migraines since I was 12. I am 53. Sumavil Dosepro is the only medication that works for me. Although I used to have frequent migraines, several per month, sometimes multiple per week, my migraines are less frequent now. My migraines do not respond well to other medications. Sumavel, taken appropriately, has changed my life. Migraines no longer dictate my schedule. However, this calendar year, my insurance stopped covering Sumavel and the company does not offer an assistance program. I am down to 4 shots. Not sure what I'll do after that."

Florence220H February 9, 2018

For Migraine: "Made me feel high and paranoid. I was out of commission the whole time I was on it till a few days later."

kaija February 6, 2018

For Migraine: "I have been getting menstrual migraines and food triggered ones (rarely) for maybe 10 years I am 42. Usually 2-4 a month. If I take sumatriptan in the beginning when pain has started it works within 15 min and pain is gone. I wish I had tried it sooner. It does make you a little drowsy and occasionally sweat or feel tightness in your neck, also a diuretic. Take with food and lots of water."

AmyStover98 February 6, 2018

For Migraine: "I find with this if I catch the migraine by the kaleidoscope stage or missing vision at the earlier stage....then after half hour lie down I can still manag to drive home etc.... After effects of sore eyes etc is significantly lessened 50mg for me"

Nev.g February 4, 2018