User Reviews for Sumatriptan

New Daily Persistent Headache
6.7

Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 8.0 398 reviews

Reviews for Sumatriptan

For Migraine: "I'm concerned because the migraines do not react to this medication mostly. I usually have to follow it up once the main part of the pain is gone with an over the counter migraine medicine. I am concerned as another patient said if takin to many of them even though the pain is intense because your body gets use to them."

Anonymous February 8, 2019

For Migraine: "I LOVE this drug. It is the ONLY medication that has worked for me. Exactly 30 minutes after I take it my migraine is gone and I can get on with life. The only problem is that the migraine is back the next day and I don't wont to keep taking the tablets in case they stop working as my body gets used to them."

migraine free February 3, 2019

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "It makes me crazy when I read that somebody waits until their headache is off the charts to take Imitrex. I have been suffering for over 25 years with migraines and then Imitrex came on the scene that was the end of the migraines. The symptoms always began behind my right eyeball and I was able to tell that's a headache was coming and that's when I took the Imitrex immediately when I started feeling symptoms not waiting until my headache is full-blown, which seems sensible to me. It is better to knock it on the head when it isn't to back so you don't have to endure it to long."

Anonymous February 1, 2019

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I had a horrible reaction to Imitrex, due to a possible drug interaction with Wellbutrin. I had gone to the E.R., worried that I might have been having a stroke. It was clearly stated in my chart that I was on Wellbutrin, but they prescribed Imitrex for me at the E.R. anyway, after presenting with what they concluded to be a complex migraine. I took an Imitrex pill when I got home, and almost immediately after taking it, I experienced the most horrendous and oppressive, burning headache. It felt like the most painful and unbearable sinus headache I had ever experienced. So, I didn't try to take Imitrex again. Then, at my follow up visit with my doctor, he asked me how the Imitrex was working and I told him that I couldn't take it because it actually gave me a worse headache than I had started with. He said, "oh yeah, Imitrex is known to have a negative interaction with some antidepressants, like Wellbutrin. I wish someone had noticed that when they prescribed it to me."

Kat (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2019

For Migraine: "Migraines impacted school and work, and honestly I felt hopeless when experiencing them. I would see things that made me scared, feel intense tingling sensations, and nausea. My triggers are so far: dairy, caffeine, neck stiffness, dehydration. When I do get a migraine, I only take 1/3 to 1/4 of the pill. I'm petite frame and sensitive, and taking the full pill knocked me on the floor useless for about 5 hours (feeling very heavy and high/out of it). Side effects I notice are: drowsy, slow, heavy, numbness in throat, sensitivity to hot water, which is mostly noticeable for about 2 hours. Ideally I will take one when I am able to either nap or go to bed for the night, and I wake up feeling great. If I take one during the day I will absolutely avoid driving or operating any machinery (at work)."

Mika December 26, 2018

For Migraine: "AWFUL. Taking the 50mg and 100mg gave me HORRIBLE side effects. I can say, my migraine went away, but to get to that point, I have to go through about an hour of uncontrollable crying, tightness in my chest and throat, VERY heavy, almost numb limbs, extreme body aches, nausea, cold sweats, and a pounding headache. Never taking it ever again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "After I had my son I had horrible migraines, sometimes daily. I tried every over the counter medication, including Excedrin, Tylenol, and Ibuprofen. I recently started taking Imitrex. It's amazing. It does take a while to kick in, probably about an hour to 2. The pain goes away within about 20 minutes but I still have a pressure like feeling until about an hour or two later. It also has really helped my depression, maybe because of the serotonin element in the medication. It doesn't make me tired or dizzy luckily. I do feel relaxed, but not in a bad way. I really love it."

mermom December 6, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "This was the first time I took it, got a migraine 2 days in a row after getting auras, worked for me, I still had pain but very very minimal compared to the past. I haven't had a migraine in 19 months before this"

D (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2018

For Migraine: "This was the absolute worst experience of my life. I was starting to get a migraine, so I took one 100mg SUMATRIPTAN SUCC. And it immediately went down hill from there. My migraine began to intensify and turned into the worst migraine of my entire life. My whole entire head hurt. My body and limbs felt extremely heavy, like dead weight, I could barely move. Then the nausea came. I felt so I’ll, like I would certainly vomit. I never did tho. I tried to sleep it off, I napped for about 3 hours with a cold wash cloth on my head. It did not get any better. I decided to try and wake up and maybe try and get some water or electrolytes in my system, that seemed to help a little. My migraine then was just at the back of my head and my forehead, instead of my whole head. My nausea was still there, I tried eating soup. I’m writing this about 7 hours later and my head still hurts but my nausea is gone. Never again will I try this medication."

Anames October 28, 2018

For Migraine: "Sumatriptan has changed the way I live. I suffer/ed from migraine, sinus, stress and daily headaches for almost 10 years - at their worst they could last up to 3 weeks with no subsidence... I'd literally wake up with and go to bed with that cycle all/every day. I tried everything- oils, supplements, herbal, tracking triggers... nothing worked. I was miserable and couldn't plan a thing; it was a guarantee that I'd have to cancel. I reluctantly (but desperately) popped along to the doctor who gave me sumatriptan. They vary when they kick in... Must depend on what's going on in my body... But usually within an hour. Only rarely do I need more than one on any given day. I've never looked back. Side effects vary; sensitivity, a bit slower but sometimes nothing at all. I have high blood pressure but I swear I couldn't live without them. Hopefully no long term damage, but they way I see it my life was a prison of pain before anyway."

SocietySista (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 24, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I only use this when I am incapacitated from migraine pain (I get it behind my left eye and can’t open it, have a hard time walking/talking, and end up vomiting). It relieves the physical pain and I am able to see, walk, and talk, but I am still pretty much down for the count. It says you can take it every 2 hours, but MAN, 1 dose and I feel it for the rest of the day. I get very drowsy, my eyes get droopy, and it feels like I’m walking underwater...or through thick honey. Everything feels so heavy. My speech is slower. I get waves of nausea. Once I take it, I’m home for the day— no way would I feel comfortable driving. The side effects can be tough for sure, but I will take them over the bad migraine pain any day. I am always thankful I took it, even if I have to be confined to the couch for 4-6 hours."

Margo (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2018

For Migraine: "This does wonders although at rare times it doesn’t do much so I have to add an Advil or double dose it (I take 50mg so I take another to make 100mg) I use it mostly for my migraines during that time of the month. I shouldn’t say this either but it works for migraines induced by hangovers too.....once in a blue moon when I been drinking at a wedding, etc. works in 30 minutes tops. Pain goes away but my face and body often feel “heavy and stiff” but I found out it’s a common side effect. So overall a good migraine solution."

Angela (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 23, 2018

For Migraine: "After years of "sick" headaches that nothing touched my Dr. prescribed Sumatriptan 100mg. I resisted taking it until a couple of weeks ago when I finally couldn't stand my headache any longer. It made me very nauseous for about an hour then the nausea & my headache were gone. This morning I had to take it again this time I was nauseous for about 1 1/2 hours & my whole face was sore. I don't know if it is worth it even if it does get rid of the migraine"

still deciding (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2018

For Migraine: "Works every time for me! I just can't stop the migraine from returning....."

Pegs (taken for 10 years or more) September 10, 2018

For Migraine: "I love this medicine! It has given me back my life. When I first started taking it I would get super tired and HAVE to sleep for an hour but I have been taking for a year and have no side effects any more. For me it starts working within 10 min and the migraine is gone with in an hour. Most of the time I don’t even need to take a full dose... just a half of a pill. The only bummer is my insurance company will only let me have so many of these pills every 20 days and because I suffer from migraine all but maybe 4 days a month I run out."

Steph (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2018

For Cluster Headaches: "I started experiencing severe gut wrenching migraines out of no where, Jan 2 2018. As if a catastrophic storm had arrived in my head. 9 months later; still here. No infections or inflammation. But where after pulling myself off of steroids, advil became my new friend. After 30 min..alleviated. All I had to do was hold on. Neurologists here I come. I was given 2 choices, in which was Indomethacin and Sumatriptan 50mg tablets (9). As much as my headaches agonize I am scared of the side affects to be frank. Stroke, heart attack and/or symptoms. I ended up taking the indomethacin. It is 2 to 3 steps higher than advil but less riskier. I reach for the Sumatriptan box but at the last minute I pull away. Here's to something else coming along my path that won't give me such horrendous side effects. Until then it's the indomethacin and my friend advil."

Hinestly September 3, 2018

For Migraine: "This drug has saved me. I was getting anywhere from 4 to 10 migraines a month, and losing a day or two each time. Not to mention the pain, the nausea, the depressed feeling you get when you're stuck in bed feeling terrible. My doctor told me to try this, prescribed 100mg, so I did. CANNOT say enough good things about this drug. Pain is entirely gone after 30 minutes, and I have had no side effects. Take it as soon as you know you're heading for a migraine. Don't bother waiting to see if it's going to "go away on its own" because chances are it's going to get worse. Practice self-care, also, and know your triggers. But if all else fails, take one of these because they work. I have to go to the pharmacy now to refill the prescription. Last thing I want is to wake up with a headache and no Sumatriptan on hand."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2018

For Migraine: "This medication has been an absolute life saver for me. I've not experienced any side effects from using it. It takes an hour to kick in but works amazingly. I cannot recommend it enough. I have been using the medication for 10 years and suffer from migraines a few times per month."

Laura (taken for 10 years or more) August 23, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have been on Imitrex for a few years now. I don't get migraines too often (luckily) but they're horrible when I do. I always try to hold off on taking Imitrex for as long as I can before I cave, which is probably not the best course of action. It does work after approx 1-2 hrs, but until the effect does work I get weird, uncomfortable side effects. My throat gets tight and it's difficult to swallow, any other muscle ache I have gets amplified, my arms/legs feel incredibly heavy and overall I just feel like I am floating in my own skin, if that even makes sense. Oh, and I have to pee every 15 mins :/"

Jen (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2018

For Migraine: "This med has been a life saver for me and I have been on it many years. I get migraines that cause pain all in my head, neck, shoulders as well as nausea/vomiting, mood change, inability to think straight etc. The first time I took it I remember feeling a warm dull pressure (not painful though) in my neck and shoulders, but I've never experienced it since then. This med completely gets rid of my headache within about 30 minutes. I am SO thankful my dr. prescribed this to me years ago-it's improved my quality of life. I am however, looking to move to a new state with less barometric pressure changes, seeing as I live in one of the worst cities for migraines. My guess is location is the cause of migraines for the majority of people."

Bug (taken for 10 years or more) August 15, 2018

For Migraine: "My migraine aura lasted less than 10 minutes after taking one dose. Was back to normal functioning: playing with my son, making dinner, watching TV within 30 mins. Very pleased with the results."

SKGreen (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2018

For Migraine: "The medication side effects just added to my migraine symptoms, making it an even worse experience, and didn't even relieve me of the migraine for more than a few hours if even that. When I couldn't stand it anymore and asked for a new medication I was given rizatriptan which didn't have as bad of side effects, but still didn't relieve my migraine in the slightest. I also feel my migraine frequency went up during this time, but that might have been a coincidence."

Purple (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "This drug will get rid of my migraine about 70% of the time, but I only use it when nothing else works because the side effects are almost as bad as the migraine itself. It makes my skin feel prickly and tight, and my throat feels tight and like I can't swallow. It gives me such intense nausea that I often don't speak when I take it because I feel like if I open my mouth, I'll throw up. From trial and error, the nausea seems to abate if I take it with food, but if I forget to take it with food I have to force myself to eat through the nausea. My brain also feels really foggy and basic actions are difficult when I take it. I'm glad there are people who don't react like this, but I am definitely asking to be switched to a different medication."

ElectricHarpsichord (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2018

For Migraine: "I just took 100mg two hours ago. The first ten minutes were fine. Next 30 minutes, I felt dazed and heavy. Next 30 minutes I felt fine, migraine gone. But after those 30 minutes... you know the feeling you get when you laugh or smile too long and your cheeks hurt.. well, that is everywhere. Just pure exhaustion with occasional pain. Stiff neck on the side I usually get migraine pain. Possible fever, lots of nausea right now. Random, but I sneezed and it killed in my neck. Glands are swollen. Throat isn’t tight though. "

Bkell (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2018

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had migraines (growing blind spots, with nausea and pain), and also tension migraines since childhood. Starting with my 3rd child, I started getting debiltating migraines. I’m talking, tingling fingers, trying to talk but my brain can’t find my words, PAIN that lasts at least 2 days with 1-2 of my brain not working. I tried Fioricet and it didn’t work. Magnesium aspartate supplements helped a ton with the tension and blindness headaches. Finally my dr gave me this and OH MY GOSH 30 mins later I felt so much better, by an hour it was gone!! I still feel like my brain is dulled for several hours but even though I can no longer feel the headache, it’s still there messing stuff up. On occasion I have to take two. If I let the pain get really bad before I take it, it takes longer to work. I can usually count on it being gone for 6-20 hours before I need to take again. I love it. Yes, neck stiffness, some jaw tightness... A MILLION AND TWELVE PERCENT better than a migraine though."

Kdhow (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2018