User Reviews for Imitrex

Migraine
7.9

Summary of Imitrex reviews 8.0 162 reviews

Reviews for Imitrex

For Migraine "I only use this when I am incapacitated from migraine pain (I get it behind my left eye and can’t open it, have a hard time walking/talking, and end up vomiting). It relieves the physical pain and I am able to see, walk, and talk, but I am still pretty much down for the count. It says you can take it every 2 hours, but MAN, 1 dose and I feel it for the rest of the day. I get very drowsy, my eyes get droopy, and it feels like I’m walking underwater...or through thick honey. Everything feels so heavy. My speech is slower. I get waves of nausea. Once I take it, I’m home for the day— no way would I feel comfortable driving. The side effects can be tough for sure, but I will take them over the bad migraine pain any day. I am always thankful I took it, even if I have to be confined to the couch for 4-6 hours."

Margo (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2018

For Migraine "I have been on Imitrex for a few years now. I don't get migraines too often (luckily) but they're horrible when I do. I always try to hold off on taking Imitrex for as long as I can before I cave, which is probably not the best course of action. It does work after approx 1-2 hrs, but until the effect does work I get weird, uncomfortable side effects. My throat gets tight and it's difficult to swallow, any other muscle ache I have gets amplified, my arms/legs feel incredibly heavy and overall I just feel like I am floating in my own skin, if that even makes sense. Oh, and I have to pee every 15 mins :/"

Jen (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2018

For Migraine "This drug will get rid of my migraine about 70% of the time, but I only use it when nothing else works because the side effects are almost as bad as the migraine itself. It makes my skin feel prickly and tight, and my throat feels tight and like I can't swallow. It gives me such intense nausea that I often don't speak when I take it because I feel like if I open my mouth, I'll throw up. From trial and error, the nausea seems to abate if I take it with food, but if I forget to take it with food I have to force myself to eat through the nausea. My brain also feels really foggy and basic actions are difficult when I take it. I'm glad there are people who don't react like this, but I am definitely asking to be switched to a different medication."

ElectricHarpsichord (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2018

For Migraine "I have had migraines (growing blind spots, with nausea and pain), and also tension migraines since childhood. Starting with my 3rd child, I started getting debiltating migraines. I’m talking, tingling fingers, trying to talk but my brain can’t find my words, PAIN that lasts at least 2 days with 1-2 of my brain not working. I tried Fioricet and it didn’t work. Magnesium aspartate supplements helped a ton with the tension and blindness headaches. Finally my dr gave me this and OH MY GOSH 30 mins later I felt so much better, by an hour it was gone!! I still feel like my brain is dulled for several hours but even though I can no longer feel the headache, it’s still there messing stuff up. On occasion I have to take two. If I let the pain get really bad before I take it, it takes longer to work. I can usually count on it being gone for 6-20 hours before I need to take again. I love it. Yes, neck stiffness, some jaw tightness... A MILLION AND TWELVE PERCENT better than a migraine though."

Kdhow (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2018

For Migraine "I have had menstrual headaches, so predictable for 10 years. Once a month, 36 hours or so, can't even lay on my head migraines. Just suffered through. Tried Imitrex last December and feel like I've been freed from bondage. I don't get a high or sleepy sensation, just relief, especially when taken with 2 Advil. I do not not have I ever uses prescription, pain meds. Seldom use even any NSAIDs. I was not interested in pain meds so this was a great option and a miracle. I can even take 2 without side effects. Sorry to those who have poor outcomes. FYI- I was discussing it today with a colleague and she said she felt high and loopy. I was stunned. Now in reading this, I see some people do react that way. So I guess I would say, take half, at home with someone around. Then make a choice from that result. Good luck!"

Concerned user (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2018

For Cluster Headaches "I had episodic clusters. Imitrex injections relieved the pain within 10 seconds. Clusters are all gone now."

Glen4512 April 10, 2018

For Migraine "I was on both Fioricet and this medication in small injection form for almost 15 years, worked well especially since I get the works upon the start of a migraine. Everything from aura to loss of arm and hand motor function to slurred speech. Almost identical to a stroke that clears up after 24 to 48 hours. Only down side was the tightening of the neck and jaw muscles but other than that it did shorten the migraine length and severity. Now move 10 years later and was dropped off the Imitrex and ended up in the hospital from a car accident and began a severe migraine and was given an Imitrex inhaler and I ended up with bad chest pains and was told to never tried it again."

Raged Maniac March 17, 2018

For Migraine "I took this today when I felt a migraine coming on the left side (eye pain, watery eyes, runny nose, nausea) and within 20 mins the migraine was completely gone. I burped a bit and felt kinda loopy for like 5-10 min the. Bam gone as if it never happened. Can’t believe I went so long not without imitrex. Missed so much work and fun times due to migraines before."

Migraine897 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

For Migraine "I tried it today cause I’ve been getting really bad migraines and I tried it expecting it to work but instead I got bad side effects neck is tighten and I also have a severe migraine really disappointed and going to speak to my doctor about finding me something else never taking it again..."

Cynthiasan45 (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

For Migraine "I have used fiorinal for years and had no problems, however my migraines have gotten worse over the last few months. I took a 100 mg imitrex yesterday and the side effects were terrible. My neck, head, throat, shoulders all became tight and felt as though I was "high" per se. I finally had to go up to bed and calm myself. I slept for 5 hours and woke up feeling groggy. If I need to take it again I will break it in half. It was a scary feeling. They only gave me 6 pills, thank goodness. I will stick with the fiorinal and a cup a coffee."

HRock18 November 7, 2017

For Migraine "I am perimenopausal age 53 and for last several years suffered from debilitating migraines. I days wasted because I was too sick from these headaches. Forget Excedrin for migraines or any other OTC drugs no relief whatsoever. This past weekend I had a migraine that pretty much knocked me out - the pain was horrific, nausea, vomiting and cried like a baby. Finally went to emergency room and they gave me Imitrex. .. Within 30 minutes headache was gone. I was very sleepy but I don't know if that's a side effect or just from not sleeping the prior 3 days."

Beefree September 16, 2017

For Migraine "Reading some of these reviews makes me wonder how much of a chance they gave the medication. I've had 'vascular' migraines since I was 13. I'm 35 today. I take Excedrin migraine for my headaches. I take Imitrex for my migraines. Used to be hard to tell the difference. I understand now the difference. But before I found Imitrex, I took all kinds of 'prevention' meds. Amitriptyline, nortriptyline, Zoloft, more than I can remember. Never prevented a darn thing. Just ended up with side effects from those. As a teen, that meant acne and weight gain. Aka, hell. It's been years now since I've found Imitrex. And like many, I was worried about trying it. But there came a day I couldn't NOT try it. 20 minutes later, I kicked myself for waiting."

Erinlynn (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 7, 2017

For Migraine "When I moved to Indiana I started getting migraines . My doctor prescribed imitrex 25 mg which worked beautifully as long as I took it when the migraine started. Though it still doesn't always work and I take another dose 2 hours after the 1st dose. I developed tolerance to it and now need to take 50 mg. Fortunately my migraines have slowed down to a dull roar as I've figured out my triggers. Imitrex has some annoying but mostly tolerable side effects that dissipate with use, such as feeling physically fatigued, feeling kind of drugged, trouble thinking clearly, increased blood pressure/heart rate, sometimes I feel shaky."

RjoyD (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2017

For Migraine "I'am 40 years old, and I have been suffering from chronic migraine since the age of 9 no medication has worked like Imitrex or sumatropan. I take the pill when I have migraine pain, and literally it takes about 35 to 40 minutes and WALLA! migraine GONE! YES THANKS science...."

Richy3232 July 30, 2017

For Migraine "The only thing that works. Wish it was available when I was a younger when I suffered so much. This medicine is the best for migraines. Key is getting it before it progresses."

Dludtx70 (taken for 10 years or more) July 29, 2017

For Migraine "I preferred Relpax, but my insurance stopped covering it. Imitrex works at least 95% of the time, but maybe 10% of those times, the headache recurs and I have to take another one (which almost never happened with Relpax). My side effects are weird but not debilitating: sense of pressure in head, neck, chest, shoulders, arms; tingling in face; dry burning eyes; skin sensitivity to hot/cold; taste sensitivity to spicy/sour; lack of appetite; sweat; thirst; diuretic. A bit sluggish and sometimes drowsy, but not truly fatigued. Almost never nauseous; never dizzy. A couple of hours later, I often feel mild muscle soreness. The side effects are stronger if I take it on an empty stomach, but it also works faster."

Minlet July 7, 2017

For Migraine "I've been experiencing migraines for about 3 years now. The pain is always on one side of my head and is completely debilitating. I used to have to take a bunch of Ibuprofen and sleep in a cool dark room until it went away which took forever. Finally, I was introduced to this medicine. I took it a few hours into my migraine and the pain was gone within 15 minutes. The medicine made me feel a little weird, like my senses were overly receptive and my skin was a bit tingly. These temporary symptoms are NOTHING compared to the migraine, I've learned to like these odd side effects because that's how I know my migraine is leaving. This is a miracle drug and over the past year I've been taking it, it's never failed to relieve the pain."

Oliviaannes June 26, 2017

For Migraine "Started having debilitating (not able to take my head from under the pillow and nausea/vomiting) migraines after having my daughter. I get about 4-6 a month, most of them are menstrual migraines, but I was lucky to find imitrex soon after I started having migraines. I used to take injectable or nasal spray, but have been on 10mg tabs for a few years now. Nothing else but Imetrex works and it works for me every time. I am not a fan of the side effects at all, which are muscle tension mostly in jaw and neck, as well as feeling drained for several hours after. I will take it over the horrible migraines any day though."

Lauren8165 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 13, 2017

For Migraine "I have had great success with treating my migraines with this medication with in 5 min of the injection or 10 to 20 min with the pill I can feel my headaches tension and the aura and nausea symptoms subside. For those who take pain meds or a severe bleeding disorder caused by defective gene in the liver ask your doctor if this could be what's happening in your blood stream and central nervous system from pain pills. This is not intended to treat or be a diagnosis or cure for anyone's DIESEASE it's only intended to ask your doctor about to see if it could reduce your headache problems this comes from a patient who is 37 years old with a severe blood clotting disorder and suffers from pain and narcotic pain killer induced rebound HEADACHES"

MacGyver34 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2017

For Migraine "Lifesaver! This med has helped give me my life back. I occasionally had 3 days of lights off, ice pack, cool & quiet bedroom time for the pain, often to the point of vomiting. I've been on it for years and take the injections with warm & tingly side effects but completely worth it. I crash for an hour with an ice pack & when I get up I feel fantastic. Love ❤"

GlamGhosty (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2017

For Migraine "I took Maxalt for years, it knocked me out completely. Horrible. if you have a job. I started taking Imitrex and in 15 minutes my migraine disappeared! Amazing! I didn't get any of the side effects that everyone talks about. I was fine! And it didn't bother my stomach either!"

Molli R. May 18, 2017

For Migraine "I have been using Imitrex 5mg injections for several years as an emergency migraine abortive. While it did instantly relieve the head pain and nausea, I had to then wait out 30-45 minutes of side effects. Those side effects were: upper jaw pain, and overall body aches (like when you have the flu) such as super sensitive skin, even my hair hurt. But for a long time this was the only option available to me through insurance, and the side effects were more bearable than the migraine. But recently the injection stopped working, and I ended up having to go to the ER. Now I have been given Zomig nasal spray. I have not had a reason to try it yet, but am worried about side effects."

Kimosgirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 25, 2017

For Migraine "I avoid taking Imitrex if I can because I experience so many side effects from it. I get jaw and shoulder pain/stiffness, pain in the back of my neck and scalp, headaches, drowsiness and I just generally feel weird and awful after taking it. After 2 hours or so, my migraine goes away and the awful-ness of the Imitrex lessens so that is why I do take it occasionally. Every time I take it, I'm reminded of how badly I need to find something else."

stephlyudmila (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2017

For Migraine "Just took it for the first time today , use to use Maxalt. This drug completely knocked me out - so sleepy and tired not to mention feeling very weird. It's been 7 hours and I feel not great . Headache gone but left with fatigue and dizziness. Back to maxalt ."

Manasatswhat March 21, 2017

For Migraine "Works great, the only one for me, no side effects, 53 yrs old, started getting these headaches last yr, Excedrin, Aspirin, Fiercet, and Advil didn't work, takes about an hour to kick in, but since nothing else works, I can wait it out"

Phil McCrackin February 19, 2017