User Reviews for Imitrex

Cluster Headaches 8.6
Migraine 7.7

Reviews for Imitrex

Momma · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2020

For Migraine: “Worst cramping, vomiting and neck pain I've ever had. Made my migraine worse. I could barely function.”

Mike Sea · Taken for 10 years or more January 15, 2020

For Migraine: “I found Imitrex works well if I take it the second I feel any of the migraine symptoms. If I wait even 20 minutes past that it'll usually make the headache worse. I suffer migraines with auras and cluster headaches. Like most everyone there is no way to function once a headache starts. Mine starts when the barometric pressure raises or lowers with cold fronts, hurricanes any weather condition that changes the barometric pressure. The pain is rough but the confusion and not able to function for sometimes days on end is the worst. Only advice I could give anyone with this drug is if you know your body well enough to know a migraine or cluster headache is starting take it immediately, don't wait! That is the only way it works for me. When it does work it is amazing! A wonderful tool to the Arsenal to fight these crippling headaches. Iif someone has never had a migraine they truly will never understand the pain we're going through.”

Stoney · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 30, 2019

For Migraine: “I couldn't live without this little pill. Imitrex/sumatriptan is a miracle drug afaik (as far as I know). It knocks out my crippling full-body migraines every time. So many women and some men don't even know it exists, which is a cruel twist of fate. It should be available OTC without a prescription Imho.”

Missing · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 26, 2019

For Migraine: “Really works. I was glad my doctor recommended.”

Jenn October 18, 2019

For Migraine: “I almost always get migraines around my period or times of extreme stress. I was getting a migraine that began as nausea, hot flashes, dizziness and weakness the entire day. That night the pain started so I took 25 mg imitrex in 90 min the pain was gone. I felt some pressure where the pain had been and couldn’t lay on that side. A week later I feel another migraine come on and I wasn’t sure it was a migraine until the nausea came. Took imitrex again and the pain went away after 2 hours but then I got super drowsy and fell asleep and woke up an hour later shaky and anxious. I had not had a good nights sleep the day before so those symptoms may be attributed to lack of sleep but they went away after a few hours. I did try imitrex in the middle of a migraine with nausea, blurry vision, severe pain and it didn’t help. I was discouraged and did not take a second dose that time. I suggest taking imitrex as soon as you feel pain”

KK · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2019

For Migraine: “I was just recently prescribed Imitrex. It only works for a few hours for me then the migraine is back and usually worse. Kind of like a rebound. I'm have only taken four doses. The chest pain it is causing makes me feel like I’ve been kicked in the chest. Not the best for Chronic migraine.”

Simaee September 30, 2019

For Migraine: “Do not take this medication. Good number of patients with severe headaches may need special type of MRI to detect possible aneurysm. If patient has aneurysm and take Imitrex then they are at high risk of causing rupture in aneurysm. I had stroke and undiagnosed aneurysm was diagnosed at the time of stroke. On the date of stroke I had severe headaches and I according to the doctor if I had ended up taking Imitrex, I would not have survived, because of aneurysm. The risk factors are not disclosed precisely by manufacturers. Please stay away from that medication and take special MRI to rule out aneurysm.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

For Migraine: “Okay so I’ve been suffering from horrible migraines daily, so bad that I’m stuck in bed in horrible pain. I’m nauseous & depressed & I have no appetite .After being prescribed the Imitrex I took it as soon as I felt the migraine come on. About 30 minutes in I started to feel my neck and throat feeling tight and my whole head have this burning sensation. I started to panic a little. Then an hour passed and I’m full blown in pain all over my body, I’m talking aching so bad it felt like I had the worst flu in history ... but my migraine was gone . Yes it took care of my migraine but were the body aches that lasted almost the whole day worth it ? I don’t think so ”

Rainy113 July 16, 2019

For Migraine: “I have had migraines since I was a kid. Diagnosed as sinus for many years until one dr asked me to try imitrex. It was like a miracle. I thought I would have to suffer with 3 to 4 day long headaches that feel like a knife in my temple the rest of my life. But imitrex knocks it out in 30-40 min. There are side effects: muscle aches, tiredness, sensitive skin and the need to pee constantly. Annoying but of you've had migraines for years it is a good trade off. I take a naproxen at the same time to help with body aches.”

TA · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

For Migraine: “Worst experience of my life! Started feeling jaw pain, shoulder pain, nausea, heart racing and the worst was tingly/numbing sensation in my arms and legs. I felt like I was going to die. Did not help my migraine at all. This should be taken off the market.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 22, 2019

For Migraine: “I suffered for years with migraines until I saw a specialist. He prescribed me 100mg dosage. I get almost instant relief. I do get a stiff neck sometimes but it only lasts about 15 minutes and my migraine is completely gone. I can’t live without this medication!”

nathalieo · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 28, 2019

For Migraine: “I wanted to share a positive experience here. I've been a migraine sufferer since 17 and I am now 24. I am one of the lucky ones who found imitrex to work first try back then, and continues to take it to this day. This drug is a miracle for me. I admit that I have had to bump my doses from 50mg to 100mg, but it still works the same. I am also lucky that I only need it once a month around the start of my period, however when I was younger I used to need them 5 times a month or so. Anyway, I just take one and in about 45-60 minutes the pain and nausea start to get better. It usually takes 90 minutes for them to be fully gone. I do sometimes get a feeling similar to whiplash (stiff neck and shoulders) and sore scalp but the side effects are far better than a migraine. My migraines stay away and I never have to take another pill, until the next month. I'm very thankful for this medicine.”

Anonymous February 1, 2019

For Migraine: “It makes me crazy when I read that somebody waits until their headache is off the charts to take Imitrex. I have been suffering for over 25 years with migraines and then Imitrex came on the scene that was the end of the migraines. The symptoms always began behind my right eyeball and I was able to tell that's a headache was coming and that's when I took the Imitrex immediately when I started feeling symptoms not waiting until my headache is full-blown, which seems sensible to me. It is better to knock it on the head when it isn't to back so you don't have to endure it to long.”

Kat · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2019

For Migraine: “I had a horrible reaction to Imitrex, due to a possible drug interaction with Wellbutrin. I had gone to the E.R., worried that I might have been having a stroke. It was clearly stated in my chart that I was on Wellbutrin, but they prescribed Imitrex for me at the E.R. anyway, after presenting with what they concluded to be a complex migraine. I took an Imitrex pill when I got home, and almost immediately after taking it, I experienced the most horrendous and oppressive, burning headache. It felt like the most painful and unbearable sinus headache I had ever experienced. So, I didn't try to take Imitrex again. Then, at my follow up visit with my doctor, he asked me how the Imitrex was working and I told him that I couldn't take it because it actually gave me a worse headache than I had started with. He said, "oh yeah, Imitrex is known to have a negative interaction with some antidepressants, like Wellbutrin. I wish someone had noticed that when they prescribed it to me.”

mermom December 6, 2018

For Migraine: “After I had my son I had horrible migraines, sometimes daily. I tried every over the counter medication, including Excedrin, Tylenol, and Ibuprofen. I recently started taking Imitrex. It's amazing. It does take a while to kick in, probably about an hour to 2. The pain goes away within about 20 minutes but I still have a pressure like feeling until about an hour or two later. It also has really helped my depression, maybe because of the serotonin element in the medication. It doesn't make me tired or dizzy luckily. I do feel relaxed, but not in a bad way. I really love it.”

D · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2018

For Migraine: “This was the first time I took it, got a migraine 2 days in a row after getting auras, worked for me, I still had pain but very very minimal compared to the past. I haven't had a migraine in 19 months before this”

Margo · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 8, 2018

For Migraine: “I only use this when I am incapacitated from migraine pain (I get it behind my left eye and can’t open it, have a hard time walking/talking, and end up vomiting). It relieves the physical pain and I am able to see, walk, and talk, but I am still pretty much down for the count. It says you can take it every 2 hours, but MAN, 1 dose and I feel it for the rest of the day. I get very drowsy, my eyes get droopy, and it feels like I’m walking underwater...or through thick honey. Everything feels so heavy. My speech is slower. I get waves of nausea. Once I take it, I’m home for the day— no way would I feel comfortable driving. The side effects can be tough for sure, but I will take them over the bad migraine pain any day. I am always thankful I took it, even if I have to be confined to the couch for 4-6 hours.”

Jen · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 18, 2018

For Migraine: “I have been on Imitrex for a few years now. I don't get migraines too often (luckily) but they're horrible when I do. I always try to hold off on taking Imitrex for as long as I can before I cave, which is probably not the best course of action. It does work after approx 1-2 hrs, but until the effect does work I get weird, uncomfortable side effects. My throat gets tight and it's difficult to swallow, any other muscle ache I have gets amplified, my arms/legs feel incredibly heavy and overall I just feel like I am floating in my own skin, if that even makes sense. Oh, and I have to pee every 15 mins :/”

ElectricHarpsichord · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 1, 2018

For Migraine: “This drug will get rid of my migraine about 70% of the time, but I only use it when nothing else works because the side effects are almost as bad as the migraine itself. It makes my skin feel prickly and tight, and my throat feels tight and like I can't swallow. It gives me such intense nausea that I often don't speak when I take it because I feel like if I open my mouth, I'll throw up. From trial and error, the nausea seems to abate if I take it with food, but if I forget to take it with food I have to force myself to eat through the nausea. My brain also feels really foggy and basic actions are difficult when I take it. I'm glad there are people who don't react like this, but I am definitely asking to be switched to a different medication.”

Kdhow · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2018

For Migraine: “I have had migraines (growing blind spots, with nausea and pain), and also tension migraines since childhood. Starting with my 3rd child, I started getting debiltating migraines. I’m talking, tingling fingers, trying to talk but my brain can’t find my words, PAIN that lasts at least 2 days with 1-2 of my brain not working. I tried Fioricet and it didn’t work. Magnesium aspartate supplements helped a ton with the tension and blindness headaches. Finally my dr gave me this and OH MY GOSH 30 mins later I felt so much better, by an hour it was gone!! I still feel like my brain is dulled for several hours but even though I can no longer feel the headache, it’s still there messing stuff up. On occasion I have to take two. If I let the pain get really bad before I take it, it takes longer to work. I can usually count on it being gone for 6-20 hours before I need to take again. I love it. Yes, neck stiffness, some jaw tightness... A MILLION AND TWELVE PERCENT better than a migraine though.”

Concerned user · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 30, 2018

For Migraine: “I have had menstrual headaches, so predictable for 10 years. Once a month, 36 hours or so, can't even lay on my head migraines. Just suffered through. Tried Imitrex last December and feel like I've been freed from bondage. I don't get a high or sleepy sensation, just relief, especially when taken with 2 Advil. I do not not have I ever uses prescription, pain meds. Seldom use even any NSAIDs. I was not interested in pain meds so this was a great option and a miracle. I can even take 2 without side effects. Sorry to those who have poor outcomes. FYI- I was discussing it today with a colleague and she said she felt high and loopy. I was stunned. Now in reading this, I see some people do react that way. So I guess I would say, take half, at home with someone around. Then make a choice from that result. Good luck!”

Glen4512 April 10, 2018

For Cluster Headaches: “I had episodic clusters. Imitrex injections relieved the pain within 10 seconds. Clusters are all gone now.”

Raged Maniac March 17, 2018

For Migraine: “I was on both Fioricet and this medication in small injection form for almost 15 years, worked well especially since I get the works upon the start of a migraine. Everything from aura to loss of arm and hand motor function to slurred speech. Almost identical to a stroke that clears up after 24 to 48 hours. Only down side was the tightening of the neck and jaw muscles but other than that it did shorten the migraine length and severity. Now move 10 years later and was dropped off the Imitrex and ended up in the hospital from a car accident and began a severe migraine and was given an Imitrex inhaler and I ended up with bad chest pains and was told to never tried it again.”

Migraine897 · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2018

For Migraine: “I took this today when I felt a migraine coming on the left side (eye pain, watery eyes, runny nose, nausea) and within 20 mins the migraine was completely gone. I burped a bit and felt kinda loopy for like 5-10 min the. Bam gone as if it never happened. Can’t believe I went so long not without imitrex. Missed so much work and fun times due to migraines before.”

Cynthiasan45 · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2017

For Migraine: “I tried it today cause I’ve been getting really bad migraines and I tried it expecting it to work but instead I got bad side effects neck is tighten and I also have a severe migraine really disappointed and going to speak to my doctor about finding me something else never taking it again...”