User Reviews for Imitrex

Learn more about Imitrex.

Cluster Headaches 22 reviews 35 medications

8.5
Migraine 125 reviews 81 medications

Summary of Imitrex reviews 147 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Imitrex

For Migraine "I preferred Relpax, but my insurance stopped covering it. Imitrex works at least 95% of the time, but maybe 10% of those times, the headache recurs and I have to take another one (which almost never happened with Relpax). My side effects are weird but not debilitating: sense of pressure in head, neck, chest, shoulders, arms; tingling in face; dry burning eyes; skin sensitivity to hot/cold; taste sensitivity to spicy/sour; lack of appetite; sweat; thirst; diuretic. A bit sluggish and sometimes drowsy, but not truly fatigued. Almost never nauseous; never dizzy. A couple of hours later, I often feel mild muscle soreness. The side effects are stronger if I take it on an empty stomach, but it also works faster."

Minlet July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I've been experiencing migraines for about 3 years now. The pain is always on one side of my head and is completely debilitating. I used to have to take a bunch of Ibuprofen and sleep in a cool dark room until it went away which took forever. Finally, I was introduced to this medicine. I took it a few hours into my migraine and the pain was gone within 15 minutes. The medicine made me feel a little weird, like my senses were overly receptive and my skin was a bit tingly. These temporary symptoms are NOTHING compared to the migraine, I've learned to like these odd side effects because that's how I know my migraine is leaving. This is a miracle drug and over the past year I've been taking it, it's never failed to relieve the pain."

Oliviaannes June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "Started having debilitating (not able to take my head from under the pillow and nausea/vomiting) migraines after having my daughter. I get about 4-6 a month, most of them are menstrual migraines, but I was lucky to find imitrex soon after I started having migraines. I used to take injectable or nasal spray, but have been on 10mg tabs for a few years now. Nothing else but Imetrex works and it works for me every time. I am not a fan of the side effects at all, which are muscle tension mostly in jaw and neck, as well as feeling drained for several hours after. I will take it over the horrible migraines any day though."

Lauren8165 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have had great success with treating my migraines with this medication with in 5 min of the injection or 10 to 20 min with the pill I can feel my headaches tension and the aura and nausea symptoms subside. For those who take pain meds or a severe bleeding disorder caused by defective gene in the liver ask your doctor if this could be what's happening in your blood stream and central nervous system from pain pills. This is not intended to treat or be a diagnosis or cure for anyone's DIESEASE it's only intended to ask your doctor about to see if it could reduce your headache problems this comes from a patient who is 37 years old with a severe blood clotting disorder and suffers from pain and narcotic pain killer induced rebound HEADACHES"

MacGyver34 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "Lifesaver! This med has helped give me my life back. I occasionally had 3 days of lights off, ice pack, cool & quiet bedroom time for the pain, often to the point of vomiting. I've been on it for years and take the injections with warm & tingly side effects but completely worth it. I crash for an hour with an ice pack & when I get up I feel fantastic. Love ❤"

GlamGhosty (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I took Maxalt for years, it knocked me out completely. Horrible. if you have a job. I started taking Imitrex and in 15 minutes my migraine disappeared! Amazing! I didn't get any of the side effects that everyone talks about. I was fine! And it didn't bother my stomach either!"

Molli R. May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have been using Imitrex 5mg injections for several years as an emergency migraine abortive. While it did instantly relieve the head pain and nausea, I had to then wait out 30-45 minutes of side effects. Those side effects were: upper jaw pain, and overall body aches (like when you have the flu) such as super sensitive skin, even my hair hurt. But for a long time this was the only option available to me through insurance, and the side effects were more bearable than the migraine. But recently the injection stopped working, and I ended up having to go to the ER. Now I have been given Zomig nasal spray. I have not had a reason to try it yet, but am worried about side effects."

Kimosgirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I avoid taking Imitrex if I can because I experience so many side effects from it. I get jaw and shoulder pain/stiffness, pain in the back of my neck and scalp, headaches, drowsiness and I just generally feel weird and awful after taking it. After 2 hours or so, my migraine goes away and the awful-ness of the Imitrex lessens so that is why I do take it occasionally. Every time I take it, I'm reminded of how badly I need to find something else."

stephlyudmila (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "Just took it for the first time today , use to use Maxalt. This drug completely knocked me out - so sleepy and tired not to mention feeling very weird. It's been 7 hours and I feel not great . Headache gone but left with fatigue and dizziness. Back to maxalt ."

Manasatswhat March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "Works great, the only one for me, no side effects, 53 yrs old, started getting these headaches last yr, Excedrin, Aspirin, Fiercet, and Advil didn't work, takes about an hour to kick in, but since nothing else works, I can wait it out"

Phil McCrackin February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have suffered migraines and headaches since I was little, I'am 55 years old and in physical healthy shape. I as many I have been a prisoner in my own body. I'am totally debilitated for what use to be 12 hours at a time has grown to sometimes days. I have suffered hearing loss, ringing in my ears with the fullness and so many other symptoms from sinus pressure to neck pain etc. I have at 2 different times had epidural shots in my neck for migraines and tried all kinds of pain killers and daily meds to lower the severity and frequency they occur. Last month alone I had 18 headaches which 13 were migraines. UGH!!! The Dr. put me on Imitrex 100 to try. I was nervous but it is a miracle drug for me."

Anonymous February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have suffered migraines maybe 4 times a year or so since I was little. Usually accompanied by vomiting and complete inability to function. The past two years, after having my second daughter, the migraines have amped up to 3 or 4 a month- sometimes more. Imitrex works almost always to eliminate the migraine. Every once in awhile I wait too long and have to take two. I have no side effects to speak of which is crazy to me because I can't even use herbal remedies without experiencing weird side effects. I'm thankful for the scientists who created this drug. I always have it with me just in case and it keeps me from being out for the count with my two little girls."

MamaAnna84 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "Will not ever touch it again! I suffer migraines so bad that I end up in the hospital almost on a regular basis. Well my doctor finally prescribed imitrex and I swore up and down that I wouldn't take it due to potential side effects, but my head hurt so bad today that I threw in the towel and took one. Mind you, I'm on the 100mg and it has done nothing but ignore my migraine causing it to manifest into a bigger one."

Starr9510 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I suffered from migraines since I was 10 and am now 38. Mine are triggered by stress and monthly hormone fluctuations. I first tried Imitrex when I was 21 and it made me so dizzy I couldn't stand. Recently I tried it again when I was having a migraine at work and it was so bad I went to the emergency room afraid I was having a stroke. I used to take OTC meds and isolate myself in a dark quiet room. My migraines kept me from enjoying important events with my children. This drug has been life changing. I have experienced some sleepiness as a side effect but nothing that makes me non-functional."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have suffered from migraines for 32 years. Have taken several medications and combinations of said meds prescribed by my physician to combine. This past year has been a mild one as far as migraines for me but have had around 13 I guess and we tried Imitrex. I can say that it has worked for me. My migraines are triggered by the changes in barometric pressure due to weather so I almost always have them in spring and autumn."

Lolabonita (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "Been having headaches all of the sudden the entire month of November. Bad headaches! Was actually scared to take imitrex because of side effects but finally took it after 2 days of agony, and it worked!! So happy this worked for me"

NaNa21 December 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "My migraines are mild but can be long lived, some times lasting 2-3wks with nausea and light sensitivity. I used to treat them with just OTC meds but of course as soon as they wore off it came back. While pregnant I was prescribed Fioricet but headache would still come back. Then I finally got Imitrex and it makes the headache NOT come back! I do only take it at night just for the drowsiness, but no other side effects for me, and headache is gone when I wake up!"

KandyP (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have suffered from migraine for many years. Before I started using Imitrex (about 15 years ago) some migraines would affect me for days. I missed out on so much back then. Imitrex changed that. I normally can take one dose and get complete relief in an hour. The only side effect that I have ever suffered is sleepiness but it's not so severe that I can't take Imitrex while working if a migraine strikes. This medication has been a life saver for me and changed my quality of life."

LoHa (taken for 10 years or more) October 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I only take the lowest dose of this drug though I'm sure it's time to upgrade to the higher dose. But even with the lower dose I am totally relieved, all the aching head stuff, all the swimming nausea, gone, it's like total relief! Now this took some time, didn't work first few times but then when I put faith in it and finally it did, boy did it!"

Catsandme (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "Tried 50mg of imitrex, and in addition to the body aches and burning most describe, my migraine shifted to neck/headache. My pain level was turned up to 11. It's a horrible drug when one would rather a mograine"

imitrex is meant to kill you (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "Imitrex works wellto rid me of my migraines a few hours after I have taken it, but the side effects for me are pretty bad. It makes me feel really weird and it seems like my whole body is achy and muscles are burning. Of course, the side effects that I get from this medicine is nothing compared to a full blown migraine hence why I've been taking it all these years. I will be talking with my doctor at my next visit though about switching medicines because I'm sick of feeling like crap after taking it."

Dreadzy (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I was diagnosed with severe migraines a little over a year and a half ago. I was prescribed Nortriptyline as an everyday medication and Imitrex as a "needed emergency pain reliever." The Nortriptyline doesn't always work, and since I am a teenager, I am still in school. If I get a migraine in school, I am supposed to take an Imitrex and go straight back to class. Unfortunately for me, the Imitrex makes me extremely drowsy and sometimes delirious, usually forcing me to go home and still live with the pain of migraines for at least another 12 hours, but it can still last for up to 3 days afterwards. Thankfully, the Nortriptyline works 95% of the time, but the Imitrex only works a good 75% of the time, and then I'm still put out of commission."

Leam September 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I've had migraines since age 12, so 30 years. I received Imitrex at 25 and am forever grateful! I average one migraine every 2-3 months, usually w/changes in weather and/or interrupted or reduced sleep. If I recognize the aura phase (usually smells, sometimes halos or light streaks/trails), and take Imitrex within the first couple of hours, it can completely ward off the pain. If I don't catch it in the aura and take it after actual pain hits, it's still helpful but I will still be subject to 2-3 days pain and need recurring doses, plus I supplement Imitrex with naproxen and caffeine. But it works. I've gone from being bed-bound in a dark, silent room to being able to work- even w/flourescent lights- without vomiting or worse. Life changing"

Monkeys Mama (taken for 10 years or more) August 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "I have had chronic migraines for as long as I can remember. To the point where I can't even talk to answer questions, walk straight, I have been accused of being drunk or high because if it. They could last up to three days, the first time I tried imitrex.... It was quite literally the Holy grail from then on. The pills take away any aura or migraine in about 20 to 30 minutes and the shots give immediate relief. Wether or not it's a placebo, I swear to the gods, as soon as you inject into your upper thigh your migraine goes down a few pegs. Within a few minutes, nearly or entirely gone. If you have migraines or clusters ask your doctor. Don't take irresponsibly because it can have some weird effects on people."

Nickystevens (taken for 10 years or more) August 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine "severe migraines for years....... took Imitrex shots. Immediate, and I mean immediate relief. Needle is very tiny and you put it up to the side of your thigh. Highly recommend."

starfish 1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2016