User Reviews for Imitrex

Learn more about Imitrex.

Cluster Headaches 22 reviews 35 medications

8.5
Migraine 117 reviews 81 medications

Summary of Imitrex reviews 139 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Imitrex

For Migraine "Just took it for the first time today , use to use Maxalt. This drug completely knocked me out - so sleepy and tired not to mention feeling very weird. It's been 7 hours and I feel not great . Headache gone but left with fatigue and dizziness. Back to maxalt ."

Manasatswhat March 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "Works great, the only one for me, no side effects, 53 yrs old, started getting these headaches last yr, Excedrin, Aspirin, Fiercet, and Advil didn't work, takes about an hour to kick in, but since nothing else works, I can wait it out"

Phil McCrackin February 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "I have suffered migraines and headaches since I was little, I'am 55 years old and in physical healthy shape. I as many I have been a prisoner in my own body. I'am totally debilitated for what use to be 12 hours at a time has grown to sometimes days. I have suffered hearing loss, ringing in my ears with the fullness and so many other symptoms from sinus pressure to neck pain etc. I have at 2 different times had epidural shots in my neck for migraines and tried all kinds of pain killers and daily meds to lower the severity and frequency they occur. Last month alone I had 18 headaches which 13 were migraines. UGH!!! The Dr. put me on Imitrex 100 to try. I was nervous but it is a miracle drug for me."

Anonymous February 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "I have suffered migraines maybe 4 times a year or so since I was little. Usually accompanied by vomiting and complete inability to function. The past two years, after having my second daughter, the migraines have amped up to 3 or 4 a month- sometimes more. Imitrex works almost always to eliminate the migraine. Every once in awhile I wait too long and have to take two. I have no side effects to speak of which is crazy to me because I can't even use herbal remedies without experiencing weird side effects. I'm thankful for the scientists who created this drug. I always have it with me just in case and it keeps me from being out for the count with my two little girls."

MamaAnna84 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 21, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "Will not ever touch it again! I suffer migraines so bad that I end up in the hospital almost on a regular basis. Well my doctor finally prescribed imitrex and I swore up and down that I wouldn't take it due to potential side effects, but my head hurt so bad today that I threw in the towel and took one. Mind you, I'm on the 100mg and it has done nothing but ignore my migraine causing it to manifest into a bigger one."

Starr9510 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "I suffered from migraines since I was 10 and am now 38. Mine are triggered by stress and monthly hormone fluctuations. I first tried Imitrex when I was 21 and it made me so dizzy I couldn't stand. Recently I tried it again when I was having a migraine at work and it was so bad I went to the emergency room afraid I was having a stroke. I used to take OTC meds and isolate myself in a dark quiet room. My migraines kept me from enjoying important events with my children. This drug has been life changing. I have experienced some sleepiness as a side effect but nothing that makes me non-functional."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "I have suffered from migraines for 32 years. Have taken several medications and combinations of said meds prescribed by my physician to combine. This past year has been a mild one as far as migraines for me but have had around 13 I guess and we tried Imitrex. I can say that it has worked for me. My migraines are triggered by the changes in barometric pressure due to weather so I almost always have them in spring and autumn."

Lolabonita (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "Been having headaches all of the sudden the entire month of November. Bad headaches! Was actually scared to take imitrex because of side effects but finally took it after 2 days of agony, and it worked!! So happy this worked for me"

NaNa21 December 1, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "My migraines are mild but can be long lived, some times lasting 2-3wks with nausea and light sensitivity. I used to treat them with just OTC meds but of course as soon as they wore off it came back. While pregnant I was prescribed Fioricet but headache would still come back. Then I finally got Imitrex and it makes the headache NOT come back! I do only take it at night just for the drowsiness, but no other side effects for me, and headache is gone when I wake up!"

KandyP (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 21, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "I have suffered from migraine for many years. Before I started using Imitrex (about 15 years ago) some migraines would affect me for days. I missed out on so much back then. Imitrex changed that. I normally can take one dose and get complete relief in an hour. The only side effect that I have ever suffered is sleepiness but it's not so severe that I can't take Imitrex while working if a migraine strikes. This medication has been a life saver for me and changed my quality of life."

LoHa (taken for 10 years or more) October 31, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "I only take the lowest dose of this drug though I'm sure it's time to upgrade to the higher dose. But even with the lower dose I am totally relieved, all the aching head stuff, all the swimming nausea, gone, it's like total relief! Now this took some time, didn't work first few times but then when I put faith in it and finally it did, boy did it!"

Catsandme (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "Tried 50mg of imitrex, and in addition to the body aches and burning most describe, my migraine shifted to neck/headache. My pain level was turned up to 11. It's a horrible drug when one would rather a mograine"

imitrex is meant to kill you (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "Imitrex works wellto rid me of my migraines a few hours after I have taken it, but the side effects for me are pretty bad. It makes me feel really weird and it seems like my whole body is achy and muscles are burning. Of course, the side effects that I get from this medicine is nothing compared to a full blown migraine hence why I've been taking it all these years. I will be talking with my doctor at my next visit though about switching medicines because I'm sick of feeling like crap after taking it."

Dreadzy (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 6, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "I was diagnosed with severe migraines a little over a year and a half ago. I was prescribed Nortriptyline as an everyday medication and Imitrex as a "needed emergency pain reliever." The Nortriptyline doesn't always work, and since I am a teenager, I am still in school. If I get a migraine in school, I am supposed to take an Imitrex and go straight back to class. Unfortunately for me, the Imitrex makes me extremely drowsy and sometimes delirious, usually forcing me to go home and still live with the pain of migraines for at least another 12 hours, but it can still last for up to 3 days afterwards. Thankfully, the Nortriptyline works 95% of the time, but the Imitrex only works a good 75% of the time, and then I'm still put out of commission."

Leam September 5, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "I've had migraines since age 12, so 30 years. I received Imitrex at 25 and am forever grateful! I average one migraine every 2-3 months, usually w/changes in weather and/or interrupted or reduced sleep. If I recognize the aura phase (usually smells, sometimes halos or light streaks/trails), and take Imitrex within the first couple of hours, it can completely ward off the pain. If I don't catch it in the aura and take it after actual pain hits, it's still helpful but I will still be subject to 2-3 days pain and need recurring doses, plus I supplement Imitrex with naproxen and caffeine. But it works. I've gone from being bed-bound in a dark, silent room to being able to work- even w/flourescent lights- without vomiting or worse. Life changing"

Monkeys Mama (taken for 10 years or more) August 30, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "I have had chronic migraines for as long as I can remember. To the point where I can't even talk to answer questions, walk straight, I have been accused of being drunk or high because if it. They could last up to three days, the first time I tried imitrex.... It was quite literally the Holy grail from then on. The pills take away any aura or migraine in about 20 to 30 minutes and the shots give immediate relief. Wether or not it's a placebo, I swear to the gods, as soon as you inject into your upper thigh your migraine goes down a few pegs. Within a few minutes, nearly or entirely gone. If you have migraines or clusters ask your doctor. Don't take irresponsibly because it can have some weird effects on people."

Nickystevens (taken for 10 years or more) August 3, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "severe migraines for years....... took Imitrex shots. Immediate, and I mean immediate relief. Needle is very tiny and you put it up to the side of your thigh. Highly recommend."

starfish 1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cluster Headaches "Words cannot express how grateful I am for this medicine. I have dealt with these crippling headaches since my mid 20's. Now in my mid-30's, I finally happened upon a physician (at a CareNow of all places) who actually listened to me as I told him of the nightmare I face at least three times a day, every day, for months on end, and prescribed Imitrex for me. If taken at the very first sign of an attack, these little beauties (I take the oral) can save you 30 minutes to several hours of unimaginable pain. I cannot recommend enough that my fellow cluster headache sufferers ask their doctor about considering Imitrex. While there's no cure, this is the closest thing I've found so far that at least makes living with these headaches bearable"

ClusterScrewed June 30, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "I am 57. For about 10 years I have had occasional episodes of acute headaches to the point of vomiting. Finally got diagnosed with migraine about 8 months ago (for some reason it never crossed my mind despite a family history of it). Was prescribed sumatriptan. Now, when I feel a migraine coming on I take 1/2 or 1 pill, along with naproxen. Headache is gone within 1/2 hour. My life has greatly improved. No side effects at all."

Musicman Joe June 22, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cluster Headaches "I've suffered from cluster headaches since I was 14 years old I'm 35 now. My last headache was in 2013 shortly after my mother passed. I thought I had out grown the headaches but May of 2016 here I go again going into my second month of having them everyday. I've tried imitrex you name it sometimes painkillers work sometimes they don't but like many other cluster headaches suffers Ive been threw hell.I don't know what do I'm a truck driver and it makes it hard to do my job even after the headache have gone. I just wanted to share my experience"

Strick June 14, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "Imitrex has been a life saver for me. As soon as I feel the headache coming I can take half of a 100mg imitrex and in 20 min the headache subsides. I have absolutely no side effects from this medication."

Heiny10 June 4, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "My Migraine headache started when I was 16 or 17 years old. Now, I am 53 years old. I have migraine headache about once a week unless when I am on vacation. Usually, I have them on Monday afternoons because it's the first day of the work and I think my eyes get tired or maybe I have more stress. But, I can get Migraine for the number of reasons. Last night, for first time I used Imitrex. I had awful feelings. I cannot describe them but after couple hours my migraine was gone. I got very sleepy but it felt very good. The best part is that the next day I had no headache either. Because my headaches usually takes 2 days to go away. I hope that it works next week as well."

H. S June 1, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "I was diagnosed with severe painful and silent migraines a few months ago, but the neurologist said I've most likely suffered from silent migraines my entire life (I'm 17 by the way), but recently they have started getting painful. Imitrex was the first medication I was put on. I was excited to start feeling better, but imitrex made me feel awful. I suffer from extreme nausea before, during and after a migraine and it's completely life ruining. I've tried imitrex many times, in hopes of it finally working. Every time I'd take it, I'd get a horrible burning in my throat, and my migraine would worsen. It didn't help nausea, aura, pain or any other migraine symptoms I suffer from. I've recently been put on another medication that'll hopefully work."

SleepyLilV (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine "I don't like it at all. Have taken 2 times and causes me to yawn alot and jaw tightness. Makes me feel really weird."

BarbsA April 4, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cluster Headaches "Well I was having really bad cluster headaches, I took an imitrex for the first time. With in 15 mins I was projectile vomiting and having bad stomach cramps. The taste stayed in my mouth for hours. My headache has went down some but it was still there."

Scarleezzy (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016