User Reviews for Imitrex to treat Migraine

Imitrex has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 160 ratings for the treatment of Migraine. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 14% reported a negative effect.

Imitrex Rating Summary

7.7/10 average rating

Compare all 130 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Imitrex

Mike Sea · Taken for 10 years or more January 15, 2020

“I found Imitrex works well if I take it the second I feel any of the migraine symptoms. If I wait even 20 minutes past that it'll usually make the headache worse. I suffer migraines with auras and cluster headaches. Like most everyone there is no way to function once a headache starts. Mine starts when the barometric pressure raises or lowers with cold fronts, hurricanes any weather condition that changes the barometric pressure. The pain is rough but the confusion and not able to function for sometimes days on end is the worst. Only advice I could give anyone with this drug is if you know your body well enough to know a migraine or cluster headache is starting take it immediately, don't wait! That is the only way it works for me. When it does work it is amazing! A wonderful tool to the Arsenal to fight these crippling headaches. Iif someone has never had a migraine they truly will never understand the pain we're going through.”

Katie May 12, 2021

“I've never had really migraines until about 9 months ago. I had a coworker who suffered with migraines and she introduced these to me when I had a horrible headache. She took the 100 mg, and when she gave me one to take, it knocked me out into the next week. I usually have horrible period migraines and ones that I'll get on occasion. This is the only thing that works for me except I take the 50 mg. There has been a couple of times they didn't work . .but that is minimal to the times it did work. I recommend to anyone who suffers with these because I don't know how'd function without them.”

Theresamarie21 May 31, 2021

“I’ve gone to the emergency room with migraines many times because I was so ill.When I tried Imitrex, it was a lifesaver. I’ve only had a couple of migraines that didn’t respond to it. The only occasional side effects I’ve had with it are severe body aches. Still better than a migraine and vomiting. I probably get the body aches once out of every 30 times that I take the Imitrex. So if I have to go to bed once out of every 30 times for a migraine versus every single time, I’ll take it. I suffered debilitating migraines for years with little to no relief. Please stick to YOUR experience and not your opinion when reviewing a drug. Your experience is YOURS and it’s very short sighted to make a general statement that it should be taken off the market or that people shouldn’t take it when it’s been such a positive experience in my life and many other’s. I missed out on a lot of things with my daughters because of migraines before imitrex. It works wonders for millions.”

TA · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

“Worst experience of my life! Started feeling jaw pain, shoulder pain, nausea, heart racing and the worst was tingly/numbing sensation in my arms and legs. I felt like I was going to die. Did not help my migraine at all. This should be taken off the market.”

Stoney · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 30, 2019

“I couldn't live without this little pill. Imitrex/sumatriptan is a miracle drug afaik (as far as I know). It knocks out my crippling full-body migraines every time. So many women and some men don't even know it exists, which is a cruel twist of fate. It should be available OTC without a prescription Imho.”

Headachefree June 11, 2021

“I took Imitrex, for many years to knock out migraine headaches. However, After taking for 15 years, I was getting rebound headaches. I was warned about this by the pharmacist and doctors but dismissed their concerns because nothing else worked. I realized other pain relievers could never touch any headache pain; the only way to take away headache pain was with Imitrex, migraine or not. I struggled with tingling in my limbs and extreme sensitivity. I finally had a wake up call when I passed out, ended up in the ER (not related to Imitrex, I don’t think) and finally went to a chiropractor who helped me get the inflammation out of my neck and shoulders through needling. I have not had a migraine headache or a headache that a pain reliever wouldn’t work on for a year and a half. I am no longer captive to Imitrex and its side effects. I believe once on Imitrex long term, rebound headaches will occur. I am so glad I am free from the bondage.”

Simaee September 30, 2019

“Do not take this medication. Good number of patients with severe headaches may need special type of MRI to detect possible aneurysm. If patient has aneurysm and take Imitrex then they are at high risk of causing rupture in aneurysm. I had stroke and undiagnosed aneurysm was diagnosed at the time of stroke. On the date of stroke I had severe headaches and I according to the doctor if I had ended up taking Imitrex, I would not have survived, because of aneurysm. The risk factors are not disclosed precisely by manufacturers. Please stay away from that medication and take special MRI to rule out aneurysm.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

“Okay so I’ve been suffering from horrible migraines daily, so bad that I’m stuck in bed in horrible pain. I’m nauseous & depressed & I have no appetite .After being prescribed the Imitrex I took it as soon as I felt the migraine come on. About 30 minutes in I started to feel my neck and throat feeling tight and my whole head have this burning sensation. I started to panic a little. Then an hour passed and I’m full blown in pain all over my body, I’m talking aching so bad it felt like I had the worst flu in history ... but my migraine was gone . Yes it took care of my migraine but were the body aches that lasted almost the whole day worth it ? I don’t think so ”

nathalieo · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 28, 2019

“I wanted to share a positive experience here. I've been a migraine sufferer since 17 and I am now 24. I am one of the lucky ones who found imitrex to work first try back then, and continues to take it to this day. This drug is a miracle for me. I admit that I have had to bump my doses from 50mg to 100mg, but it still works the same. I am also lucky that I only need it once a month around the start of my period, however when I was younger I used to need them 5 times a month or so. Anyway, I just take one and in about 45-60 minutes the pain and nausea start to get better. It usually takes 90 minutes for them to be fully gone. I do sometimes get a feeling similar to whiplash (stiff neck and shoulders) and sore scalp but the side effects are far better than a migraine. My migraines stay away and I never have to take another pill, until the next month. I'm very thankful for this medicine.”

MSII February 24, 2014

“I come from a family where everyone has terrible migraines. When I started getting them at age 21, I resorted to taking loads of Tylenol with Pesudophedrine to "mask" the pain, which took a heavy toll on my liver. Someone suggested that I look into the Triptan family of migraine medication. After going through a few different ones, I found Imitrex to be an absolute life-saver. Whenever I feel one coming, I take 50mg and the migraine usually disappears within 30 minutes. If I wait a few hours to take it, the response time could be more like 90 minutes. With 10-15 migraines a month, Imitrex is essentially the only thing that allows me to function. I have not seen any real side effects.”

Oliviaannes June 26, 2017

“I've been experiencing migraines for about 3 years now. The pain is always on one side of my head and is completely debilitating. I used to have to take a bunch of Ibuprofen and sleep in a cool dark room until it went away which took forever. Finally, I was introduced to this medicine. I took it a few hours into my migraine and the pain was gone within 15 minutes. The medicine made me feel a little weird, like my senses were overly receptive and my skin was a bit tingly. These temporary symptoms are NOTHING compared to the migraine, I've learned to like these odd side effects because that's how I know my migraine is leaving. This is a miracle drug and over the past year I've been taking it, it's never failed to relieve the pain.”

Anonymous February 1, 2019

“It makes me crazy when I read that somebody waits until their headache is off the charts to take Imitrex. I have been suffering for over 25 years with migraines and then Imitrex came on the scene that was the end of the migraines. The symptoms always began behind my right eyeball and I was able to tell that's a headache was coming and that's when I took the Imitrex immediately when I started feeling symptoms not waiting until my headache is full-blown, which seems sensible to me. It is better to knock it on the head when it isn't to back so you don't have to endure it to long.”

Rainy113 July 16, 2019

“I have had migraines since I was a kid. Diagnosed as sinus for many years until one dr asked me to try imitrex. It was like a miracle. I thought I would have to suffer with 3 to 4 day long headaches that feel like a knife in my temple the rest of my life. But imitrex knocks it out in 30-40 min. There are side effects: muscle aches, tiredness, sensitive skin and the need to pee constantly. Annoying but of you've had migraines for years it is a good trade off. I take a naproxen at the same time to help with body aches.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 22, 2019

“I suffered for years with migraines until I saw a specialist. He prescribed me 100mg dosage. I get almost instant relief. I do get a stiff neck sometimes but it only lasts about 15 minutes and my migraine is completely gone. I can’t live without this medication!”

housewifeandmother September 22, 2014

“My husband has always what's called prostrating attacks, which is a form of a migraine that leaves him in so much pain he can't function at all! The only medication that has ever worked on him is the Imitrex. This stuff is awesome! The only thing that is irritating is every time I get his prescription filled the pharmacist try to give him the Sumatriptan (the generic version) which makes him so sick he will throw up nonstop for hours. So I always have to tell them he needs the name brand, and I have gotten into many arguments with pharmacists trying to tell me it's the same thing. IT'S NOT!!!! When my husband takes Imitrex his migraine is gone within minutes, he takes a Sumatriptan and I feel like I need to take him to a hospital.”

Jen · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 18, 2018

“I have been on Imitrex for a few years now. I don't get migraines too often (luckily) but they're horrible when I do. I always try to hold off on taking Imitrex for as long as I can before I cave, which is probably not the best course of action. It does work after approx 1-2 hrs, but until the effect does work I get weird, uncomfortable side effects. My throat gets tight and it's difficult to swallow, any other muscle ache I have gets amplified, my arms/legs feel incredibly heavy and overall I just feel like I am floating in my own skin, if that even makes sense. Oh, and I have to pee every 15 mins :/”

Anonymous February 9, 2017

“I have suffered migraines and headaches since I was little, I'am 55 years old and in physical healthy shape. I as many I have been a prisoner in my own body. I'am totally debilitated for what use to be 12 hours at a time has grown to sometimes days. I have suffered hearing loss, ringing in my ears with the fullness and so many other symptoms from sinus pressure to neck pain etc. I have at 2 different times had epidural shots in my neck for migraines and tried all kinds of pain killers and daily meds to lower the severity and frequency they occur. Last month alone I had 18 headaches which 13 were migraines. UGH!!! The Dr. put me on Imitrex 100 to try. I was nervous but it is a miracle drug for me.”

Ben W March 28, 2014

“First month prescription for 20, 50mg tablets. If I take at the first sign of headache goes away about 30 min. If wait to take tablet takes up two hours for the pain to stop. Since I have daily migraines tried waiting to save tablets, concerned run out of 50mg tablets prior to refill date. The Imitrex has been God sent for me. I have had migraines since my teens now in my sixities. Migranies only health probem I have. Plan to call my doctor let know how well Imitrex works for me and see if 30 day prescription or stronger prescription is what I need. From other reviews appears some users go days between headaches, that would be more than I ever expected after all these years.”

Margo · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 8, 2018

“I only use this when I am incapacitated from migraine pain (I get it behind my left eye and can’t open it, have a hard time walking/talking, and end up vomiting). It relieves the physical pain and I am able to see, walk, and talk, but I am still pretty much down for the count. It says you can take it every 2 hours, but MAN, 1 dose and I feel it for the rest of the day. I get very drowsy, my eyes get droopy, and it feels like I’m walking underwater...or through thick honey. Everything feels so heavy. My speech is slower. I get waves of nausea. Once I take it, I’m home for the day— no way would I feel comfortable driving. The side effects can be tough for sure, but I will take them over the bad migraine pain any day. I am always thankful I took it, even if I have to be confined to the couch for 4-6 hours.”

Richy3232 July 30, 2017

“I'am 40 years old, and I have been suffering from chronic migraine since the age of 9 no medication has worked like Imitrex or sumatropan. I take the pill when I have migraine pain, and literally it takes about 35 to 40 minutes and WALLA! migraine GONE! YES THANKS science....”

Jenn October 18, 2019

“I almost always get migraines around my period or times of extreme stress. I was getting a migraine that began as nausea, hot flashes, dizziness and weakness the entire day. That night the pain started so I took 25 mg imitrex in 90 min the pain was gone. I felt some pressure where the pain had been and couldn’t lay on that side. A week later I feel another migraine come on and I wasn’t sure it was a migraine until the nausea came. Took imitrex again and the pain went away after 2 hours but then I got super drowsy and fell asleep and woke up an hour later shaky and anxious. I had not had a good nights sleep the day before so those symptoms may be attributed to lack of sleep but they went away after a few hours. I did try imitrex in the middle of a migraine with nausea, blurry vision, severe pain and it didn’t help. I was discouraged and did not take a second dose that time. I suggest taking imitrex as soon as you feel pain”

Cynhawk · Taken for 10 years or more July 15, 2014

“I have suffered from migraines all my life and I am now 57. I was prescribed Imitrex at age 39 and the first dose of 50mg gave me a tightness in my throat but it stopped the migraine. I suffered with them every day. I finally figured out that MSG in food was the biggest cause of the migraine. MSG is disguised by many names but I have eliminated a lot of food and with the help of Imitrex, I can live an almost normal life without a migraine. Imitrex sometimes makes me sleep a lot and other times I sleep for about 30 minutes and I'm fine. I praise the makers of Imitrex because nothing else would completely take the pain away!”

xzamband June 26, 2013

“I completely rely on Imitrex. Once I had this the day-long headaches are gone. I now know that what I used to call "sinus headaches" were migraines I had since a teenager, though not bad until into my 40s. My side effects are a little sleepiness and maybe some tiredness, but nothing compared to the debilitation of a migraine. However I am much more aggressive with eliminating triggers, particularly MSG and processed foods, and this helps. My better diet has reduced my need for Imitrex down to 2-3 times a month.”

HeyTeacher · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 16, 2013

“Migraines have become my worst enemy over the past 4-5 years. Thank goodness for Imitrex. I started with the pills, then the nasal spray and have worked my way up to the shots (plus nausea medicines). The pills had the least side effects. The spray was vile tasting, but fast acting and I could take it while working. When my headaches worsened, they added botox and upgraded me to the injected version. I needed something that acted FAST so I could stay in the classroom. The down side to the injection is the head rush, change of hear rate, and the flushing feeling. When I inject I have about 15-30 BAD minutes, then I kind of restabilize and about an hour later I usually feel better and capable of continuing to teach.”

Concerned user · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 30, 2018

“I have had menstrual headaches, so predictable for 10 years. Once a month, 36 hours or so, can't even lay on my head migraines. Just suffered through. Tried Imitrex last December and feel like I've been freed from bondage. I don't get a high or sleepy sensation, just relief, especially when taken with 2 Advil. I do not not have I ever uses prescription, pain meds. Seldom use even any NSAIDs. I was not interested in pain meds so this was a great option and a miracle. I can even take 2 without side effects. Sorry to those who have poor outcomes. FYI- I was discussing it today with a colleague and she said she felt high and loopy. I was stunned. Now in reading this, I see some people do react that way. So I guess I would say, take half, at home with someone around. Then make a choice from that result. Good luck!”

Learn more about Migraine