User Reviews for Imitrex

Learn more about Imitrex.

Imitrex Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 129 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Imitrex to treat Migraine

"Tried 50mg of imitrex, and in addition to the body aches and burning most describe, my migraine shifted to neck/headache. My pain level was turned up to 11. It's a horrible drug when one would rather a mograine"

imitrex is meant to kill you (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

"Imitrex works wellto rid me of my migraines a few hours after I have taken it, but the side effects for me are pretty bad. It makes me feel really weird and it seems like my whole body is achy and muscles are burning. Of course, the side effects that I get from this medicine is nothing compared to a full blown migraine hence why I've been taking it all these years. I will be talking with my doctor at my next visit though about switching medicines because I'm sick of feeling like crap after taking it."

Dreadzy (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 6, 2016

"I was diagnosed with severe migraines a little over a year and a half ago. I was prescribed Nortriptyline as an everyday medication and Imitrex as a "needed emergency pain reliever." The Nortriptyline doesn't always work, and since I am a teenager, I am still in school. If I get a migraine in school, I am supposed to take an Imitrex and go straight back to class. Unfortunately for me, the Imitrex makes me extremely drowsy and sometimes delirious, usually forcing me to go home and still live with the pain of migraines for at least another 12 hours, but it can still last for up to 3 days afterwards. Thankfully, the Nortriptyline works 95% of the time, but the Imitrex only works a good 75% of the time, and then I'm still put out of commission."

Leam September 5, 2016

"I've had migraines since age 12, so 30 years. I received Imitrex at 25 and am forever grateful! I average one migraine every 2-3 months, usually w/changes in weather and/or interrupted or reduced sleep. If I recognize the aura phase (usually smells, sometimes halos or light streaks/trails), and take Imitrex within the first couple of hours, it can completely ward off the pain. If I don't catch it in the aura and take it after actual pain hits, it's still helpful but I will still be subject to 2-3 days pain and need recurring doses, plus I supplement Imitrex with naproxen and caffeine. But it works. I've gone from being bed-bound in a dark, silent room to being able to work- even w/flourescent lights- without vomiting or worse. Life changing"

Monkeys Mama (taken for 10 years or more) August 30, 2016

"I have had chronic migraines for as long as I can remember. To the point where I can't even talk to answer questions, walk straight, I have been accused of being drunk or high because if it. They could last up to three days, the first time I tried imitrex.... It was quite literally the Holy grail from then on. The pills take away any aura or migraine in about 20 to 30 minutes and the shots give immediate relief. Wether or not it's a placebo, I swear to the gods, as soon as you inject into your upper thigh your migraine goes down a few pegs. Within a few minutes, nearly or entirely gone. If you have migraines or clusters ask your doctor. Don't take irresponsibly because it can have some weird effects on people."

Nickystevens (taken for 10 years or more) August 3, 2016

"severe migraines for years....... took Imitrex shots. Immediate, and I mean immediate relief. Needle is very tiny and you put it up to the side of your thigh. Highly recommend."

starfish 1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2016

"I am 57. For about 10 years I have had occasional episodes of acute headaches to the point of vomiting. Finally got diagnosed with migraine about 8 months ago (for some reason it never crossed my mind despite a family history of it). Was prescribed sumatriptan. Now, when I feel a migraine coming on I take 1/2 or 1 pill, along with naproxen. Headache is gone within 1/2 hour. My life has greatly improved. No side effects at all."

Musicman Joe June 22, 2016

"Imitrex has been a life saver for me. As soon as I feel the headache coming I can take half of a 100mg imitrex and in 20 min the headache subsides. I have absolutely no side effects from this medication."

Heiny10 June 4, 2016

"My Migraine headache started when I was 16 or 17 years old. Now, I am 53 years old. I have migraine headache about once a week unless when I am on vacation. Usually, I have them on Monday afternoons because it's the first day of the work and I think my eyes get tired or maybe I have more stress. But, I can get Migraine for the number of reasons. Last night, for first time I used Imitrex. I had awful feelings. I cannot describe them but after couple hours my migraine was gone. I got very sleepy but it felt very good. The best part is that the next day I had no headache either. Because my headaches usually takes 2 days to go away. I hope that it works next week as well."

H. S June 1, 2016

"I was diagnosed with severe painful and silent migraines a few months ago, but the neurologist said I've most likely suffered from silent migraines my entire life (I'm 17 by the way), but recently they have started getting painful. Imitrex was the first medication I was put on. I was excited to start feeling better, but imitrex made me feel awful. I suffer from extreme nausea before, during and after a migraine and it's completely life ruining. I've tried imitrex many times, in hopes of it finally working. Every time I'd take it, I'd get a horrible burning in my throat, and my migraine would worsen. It didn't help nausea, aura, pain or any other migraine symptoms I suffer from. I've recently been put on another medication that'll hopefully work."

SleepyLilV (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

"I don't like it at all. Have taken 2 times and causes me to yawn alot and jaw tightness. Makes me feel really weird."

BarbsA April 4, 2016

"I'm only 16 and I was prescribed it at 15 and told only to take it when my migraines were unbearable. Every time I have taken it I usually get a really sick feeling, such as hot flashes, weakness, nausea, and dizzy. There's always like a feeling that my brain is being frozen over from where the migraine mostly is. But I always take it and go straight to sleep except for last night. I stayed up and I was seeing and hearing things that weren't there, I couldn't do simple tasks, I forgot where my room was after my boyfriend told me to drink some water, I cried over everything, I was scared of everything. Staying awake for me was horrifying."

smtripp January 12, 2016

"I have been suffering from migraine's since around 16 and now at 36 although they have became less frequent over the years. They are horrible as I usually am out for the entire day bedridden in a dark room. I have always been very paranoid to try a actual migraine medicine so have taken vicodin for the pain. I recently had a migraine at work and decided to try a imitrex my doctor prescribed me. I was nervous to try it but am so happy I did. I waited a few minutes of having the migraine before I took it but it relieved me of my migraine within 30 minutes. I did experience some effects like muscle stiffness in my neck, tightness in my face and a burning feeling in my nose and forehead for about a hour but I'll take that any day over a migraine."

one man down then back up December 22, 2015

"Helpless migraine victim for 20 years. My Dr. Recommended imitrex, so I took it. I took one 100mg, it tasted horrible, I had an upset stomach for almost 4 hours. I did get a heartburn feeling in my chest, hotflash, mood swings but my Migraine disappeared. I will speak to my neurologist regarding my side effects. I would consider using imitrex again in the future."

Mother of 6 December 11, 2015

"After 20+ years of taking this medicine it has lead up to hair thinning out severely, full body muscle pain and weakness as a side effect and a possible stroke. It works to get rid of the migraine but this what happens when you take it long term."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) November 6, 2015

"I have tried this medication in the past and it did not work for me, but now after revisiting the drug with years of migraines of no relief I have found that it works well for me now. I tend to have extreme nausea and vomiting with my severe headaches, so I also use the nasal spay form (depending on how nauseated I am) They both work well if taken early in the migraine. I did however have severe reaction the first 2-3 times taking it (nausea, vomiting, abdominal upset) but I forced myself to take it again. Now my experience is "head tightening" which I see can be common with this drug and after about 15 minutes of this, I feel a "loosening" and finally relief. I have not experienced any other symptoms with tablet form."

Vanessa McC September 18, 2015

"Love this med. The only issue I have is that I get a hot flash/face flushing feeling 10 minutes after taking it. It stops 10 min later. It is well worth having the migraine gone all day!"

Kooski September 16, 2015

"I have been getting migraines off and on since around the age of 16, and am now 25. Most of my migraines are due to my allergies during the spring/summer. But they seem to be even worse during the colder months. This medication works wonders for me. The only thing I seem to notice is a bit of dizziness after the medicene wears off. But I would much rather have a little dizziness rather than being bedridden, light/sound sensitivity, migraine, and nausea/vomiting."

joanie33 August 25, 2015

"This drug give me hallucinations And made my body tingle."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2015

"Saved my life. Nothing else worked. Other drugs intensified the headache. I much prefer the injection. Less of the drug is needed and the effective result occurs more quickly. Side effects - I can get night/sleep sweats and have "odd" dreams that do not otherwise occur."

RCCThatsme May 29, 2015

"From the moment I started taking Imitrex in 1996 it has worked wonderfully for me with probably only two or three occasions over the years where a headache has persistent . It is been my wonder drug. I do get very frequent migraines and take as little of it is possible but I will normally take 10 to 12 50mg tablets per month with few if any side effects."

Strbuk May 18, 2015

"3 days on medicine caused extreme muscle pains, tiredness and weakness. Also facial flushing, tingling, hot and cold flashes, blurred vision, malaise, increased urination, lack of concentration."

heavy painful head (taken for 10 years or more) April 2, 2015

"Thank you SCIENCE for this medication! My migraines used to immobilize me and now I finally have relief thanks to this med. Better living through modern science."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2015

"Works well for my migraines. First couple of times taking it, caused my jaw to feel tight, and makes me pretty sleepy."

CatieB1987 (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2015

"Works the best if you only take it once or twice a month. I've had problems with rebound headaches, even when I take this with sodium naproxen. It can also leave me feeling a bit groggy."

clinohumite November 19, 2014