User Reviews for Imitrex

Learn more about Imitrex.

Imitrex Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 126 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Imitrex to treat Migraine

"I am perimenopausal age 53 and for last several years suffered from debilitating migraines. I days wasted because I was too sick from these headaches. Forget Excedrin for migraines or any other OTC drugs no relief whatsoever. This past weekend I had a migraine that pretty much knocked me out - the pain was horrific, nausea, vomiting and cried like a baby. Finally went to emergency room and they gave me Imitrex. .. Within 30 minutes headache was gone. I was very sleepy but I don't know if that's a side effect or just from not sleeping the prior 3 days."

Beefree September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Reading some of these reviews makes me wonder how much of a chance they gave the medication. I've had 'vascular' migraines since I was 13. I'm 35 today. I take Excedrin migraine for my headaches. I take Imitrex for my migraines. Used to be hard to tell the difference. I understand now the difference. But before I found Imitrex, I took all kinds of 'prevention' meds. Amitriptyline, nortriptyline, Zoloft, more than I can remember. Never prevented a darn thing. Just ended up with side effects from those. As a teen, that meant acne and weight gain. Aka, hell. It's been years now since I've found Imitrex. And like many, I was worried about trying it. But there came a day I couldn't NOT try it. 20 minutes later, I kicked myself for waiting."

Erinlynn (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I moved to Indiana I started getting migraines . My doctor prescribed imitrex 25 mg which worked beautifully as long as I took it when the migraine started. Though it still doesn't always work and I take another dose 2 hours after the 1st dose. I developed tolerance to it and now need to take 50 mg. Fortunately my migraines have slowed down to a dull roar as I've figured out my triggers. Imitrex has some annoying but mostly tolerable side effects that dissipate with use, such as feeling physically fatigued, feeling kind of drugged, trouble thinking clearly, increased blood pressure/heart rate, sometimes I feel shaky."

RjoyD (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'am 40 years old, and I have been suffering from chronic migraine since the age of 9 no medication has worked like Imitrex or sumatropan. I take the pill when I have migraine pain, and literally it takes about 35 to 40 minutes and WALLA! migraine GONE! YES THANKS science...."

Richy3232 July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The only thing that works. Wish it was available when I was a younger when I suffered so much. This medicine is the best for migraines. Key is getting it before it progresses."

Dludtx70 (taken for 10 years or more) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I preferred Relpax, but my insurance stopped covering it. Imitrex works at least 95% of the time, but maybe 10% of those times, the headache recurs and I have to take another one (which almost never happened with Relpax). My side effects are weird but not debilitating: sense of pressure in head, neck, chest, shoulders, arms; tingling in face; dry burning eyes; skin sensitivity to hot/cold; taste sensitivity to spicy/sour; lack of appetite; sweat; thirst; diuretic. A bit sluggish and sometimes drowsy, but not truly fatigued. Almost never nauseous; never dizzy. A couple of hours later, I often feel mild muscle soreness. The side effects are stronger if I take it on an empty stomach, but it also works faster."

Minlet July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been experiencing migraines for about 3 years now. The pain is always on one side of my head and is completely debilitating. I used to have to take a bunch of Ibuprofen and sleep in a cool dark room until it went away which took forever. Finally, I was introduced to this medicine. I took it a few hours into my migraine and the pain was gone within 15 minutes. The medicine made me feel a little weird, like my senses were overly receptive and my skin was a bit tingly. These temporary symptoms are NOTHING compared to the migraine, I've learned to like these odd side effects because that's how I know my migraine is leaving. This is a miracle drug and over the past year I've been taking it, it's never failed to relieve the pain."

Oliviaannes June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started having debilitating (not able to take my head from under the pillow and nausea/vomiting) migraines after having my daughter. I get about 4-6 a month, most of them are menstrual migraines, but I was lucky to find imitrex soon after I started having migraines. I used to take injectable or nasal spray, but have been on 10mg tabs for a few years now. Nothing else but Imetrex works and it works for me every time. I am not a fan of the side effects at all, which are muscle tension mostly in jaw and neck, as well as feeling drained for several hours after. I will take it over the horrible migraines any day though."

Lauren8165 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had great success with treating my migraines with this medication with in 5 min of the injection or 10 to 20 min with the pill I can feel my headaches tension and the aura and nausea symptoms subside. For those who take pain meds or a severe bleeding disorder caused by defective gene in the liver ask your doctor if this could be what's happening in your blood stream and central nervous system from pain pills. This is not intended to treat or be a diagnosis or cure for anyone's DIESEASE it's only intended to ask your doctor about to see if it could reduce your headache problems this comes from a patient who is 37 years old with a severe blood clotting disorder and suffers from pain and narcotic pain killer induced rebound HEADACHES"

MacGyver34 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lifesaver! This med has helped give me my life back. I occasionally had 3 days of lights off, ice pack, cool & quiet bedroom time for the pain, often to the point of vomiting. I've been on it for years and take the injections with warm & tingly side effects but completely worth it. I crash for an hour with an ice pack & when I get up I feel fantastic. Love ❤"

GlamGhosty (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Maxalt for years, it knocked me out completely. Horrible. if you have a job. I started taking Imitrex and in 15 minutes my migraine disappeared! Amazing! I didn't get any of the side effects that everyone talks about. I was fine! And it didn't bother my stomach either!"

Molli R. May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using Imitrex 5mg injections for several years as an emergency migraine abortive. While it did instantly relieve the head pain and nausea, I had to then wait out 30-45 minutes of side effects. Those side effects were: upper jaw pain, and overall body aches (like when you have the flu) such as super sensitive skin, even my hair hurt. But for a long time this was the only option available to me through insurance, and the side effects were more bearable than the migraine. But recently the injection stopped working, and I ended up having to go to the ER. Now I have been given Zomig nasal spray. I have not had a reason to try it yet, but am worried about side effects."

Kimosgirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I avoid taking Imitrex if I can because I experience so many side effects from it. I get jaw and shoulder pain/stiffness, pain in the back of my neck and scalp, headaches, drowsiness and I just generally feel weird and awful after taking it. After 2 hours or so, my migraine goes away and the awful-ness of the Imitrex lessens so that is why I do take it occasionally. Every time I take it, I'm reminded of how badly I need to find something else."

stephlyudmila (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just took it for the first time today , use to use Maxalt. This drug completely knocked me out - so sleepy and tired not to mention feeling very weird. It's been 7 hours and I feel not great . Headache gone but left with fatigue and dizziness. Back to maxalt ."

Manasatswhat March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works great, the only one for me, no side effects, 53 yrs old, started getting these headaches last yr, Excedrin, Aspirin, Fiercet, and Advil didn't work, takes about an hour to kick in, but since nothing else works, I can wait it out"

Phil McCrackin February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered migraines and headaches since I was little, I'am 55 years old and in physical healthy shape. I as many I have been a prisoner in my own body. I'am totally debilitated for what use to be 12 hours at a time has grown to sometimes days. I have suffered hearing loss, ringing in my ears with the fullness and so many other symptoms from sinus pressure to neck pain etc. I have at 2 different times had epidural shots in my neck for migraines and tried all kinds of pain killers and daily meds to lower the severity and frequency they occur. Last month alone I had 18 headaches which 13 were migraines. UGH!!! The Dr. put me on Imitrex 100 to try. I was nervous but it is a miracle drug for me."

Anonymous February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered migraines maybe 4 times a year or so since I was little. Usually accompanied by vomiting and complete inability to function. The past two years, after having my second daughter, the migraines have amped up to 3 or 4 a month- sometimes more. Imitrex works almost always to eliminate the migraine. Every once in awhile I wait too long and have to take two. I have no side effects to speak of which is crazy to me because I can't even use herbal remedies without experiencing weird side effects. I'm thankful for the scientists who created this drug. I always have it with me just in case and it keeps me from being out for the count with my two little girls."

MamaAnna84 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Will not ever touch it again! I suffer migraines so bad that I end up in the hospital almost on a regular basis. Well my doctor finally prescribed imitrex and I swore up and down that I wouldn't take it due to potential side effects, but my head hurt so bad today that I threw in the towel and took one. Mind you, I'm on the 100mg and it has done nothing but ignore my migraine causing it to manifest into a bigger one."

Starr9510 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered from migraines since I was 10 and am now 38. Mine are triggered by stress and monthly hormone fluctuations. I first tried Imitrex when I was 21 and it made me so dizzy I couldn't stand. Recently I tried it again when I was having a migraine at work and it was so bad I went to the emergency room afraid I was having a stroke. I used to take OTC meds and isolate myself in a dark quiet room. My migraines kept me from enjoying important events with my children. This drug has been life changing. I have experienced some sleepiness as a side effect but nothing that makes me non-functional."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from migraines for 32 years. Have taken several medications and combinations of said meds prescribed by my physician to combine. This past year has been a mild one as far as migraines for me but have had around 13 I guess and we tried Imitrex. I can say that it has worked for me. My migraines are triggered by the changes in barometric pressure due to weather so I almost always have them in spring and autumn."

Lolabonita (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been having headaches all of the sudden the entire month of November. Bad headaches! Was actually scared to take imitrex because of side effects but finally took it after 2 days of agony, and it worked!! So happy this worked for me"

NaNa21 December 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My migraines are mild but can be long lived, some times lasting 2-3wks with nausea and light sensitivity. I used to treat them with just OTC meds but of course as soon as they wore off it came back. While pregnant I was prescribed Fioricet but headache would still come back. Then I finally got Imitrex and it makes the headache NOT come back! I do only take it at night just for the drowsiness, but no other side effects for me, and headache is gone when I wake up!"

KandyP (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from migraine for many years. Before I started using Imitrex (about 15 years ago) some migraines would affect me for days. I missed out on so much back then. Imitrex changed that. I normally can take one dose and get complete relief in an hour. The only side effect that I have ever suffered is sleepiness but it's not so severe that I can't take Imitrex while working if a migraine strikes. This medication has been a life saver for me and changed my quality of life."

LoHa (taken for 10 years or more) October 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I only take the lowest dose of this drug though I'm sure it's time to upgrade to the higher dose. But even with the lower dose I am totally relieved, all the aching head stuff, all the swimming nausea, gone, it's like total relief! Now this took some time, didn't work first few times but then when I put faith in it and finally it did, boy did it!"

Catsandme (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried 50mg of imitrex, and in addition to the body aches and burning most describe, my migraine shifted to neck/headache. My pain level was turned up to 11. It's a horrible drug when one would rather a mograine"

imitrex is meant to kill you (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016