Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 9, 2020.
The recommended dose of IMITREX tablets is 25 mg, 50 mg, or 100 mg. Doses of 50 mg and 100 mg may provide a greater effect than the 25-mg dose, but doses of 100 mg may not provide a greater effect than the 50-mg dose. Higher doses may have a greater risk of adverse reactions [see Clinical Studies (14)].
If the migraine has not resolved by 2 hours after taking IMITREX tablets, or returns after a transient improvement, a second dose may be administered at least 2 hours after the first dose. The maximum daily dose is 200 mg in a 24-hour period.
Use after IMITREX Injection
If the migraine returns following an initial treatment with IMITREX (sumatriptan) injection, additional single IMITREX tablets (up to 100 mg/day) may be given with an interval of at least 2 hours between tablet doses.
The safety of treating an average of more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not been established.
Frequently asked questions
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of migraines?
- Ubrelvy vs Imitrex (sumatriptan): How do they compare?
- What are the brands of sumatriptan?
- How do you use Onzetra Xsail?
More about Imitrex (sumatriptan)
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- During pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Reviews (193)
- Drug images
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Generic availability
- Drug class: antimigraine agents
- Drug Information
- Imitrex injection
- Imitrex (Advanced Reading)
- Imitrex Oral (Advanced Reading)
- Imitrex Subcutaneous (Advanced Reading)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.