User Reviews for Dihydroergotamine

Cluster Headaches   9.3
Migraine   6.5

Reviews for Dihydroergotamine

Mainah February 20, 2020

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: “Triptans unfortunately stopped working for me so, I decided to try this. First time I took it cut down my migraine by about 50%. Second time cut it down about 90%! Even helped my neck pain. Slight break through pain but much better. I just hope it keeps working! Only side effects I’ve noticed are tiredness and bad taste. Much better than a migraine.”

Amelia December 11, 2019

For Migraine: “At 11 years old, I experienced severe and constant migraines that took me totally out of school and out of life. The drug Topiramate helped me cope for months, but then I was moved to the Neurology Hospital Dept where they first injected me with DHE (dihydroergotamine). Within seconds, I lost all vision and could not breathe at all- I thought for SURE- I am that was it. All Doctors sprinted into the room and one injected me with Benadryl and other anti inflammatories, which is what saved my life. This is not a drug to test unless you have tested all avenues. At 11 years old, my mom watched me slip into unconsciousness and further into oblivion, until my life was saved. Do NOT let this be you. I have worn a medical bracelet everyday since this occurrence. I have absolutely NO allergies to the outside world, but do not doubt that this drug can be your first and LAST experience with a bad allergy. PLEASE, be careful and especially WITH YOUR CHILDREN.”

Henry · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2019

For Cluster Headaches: “dihydroergotamine is the only medication that works for my headache. It works very good”

Laurel Kaufman October 8, 2019

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: “This is my first dose of Migranal. I just went to a new neurologist this morning and he gave me a sample. I have a slightly funny taste in my mouth but I think it's because my nose is stuffed from the Migranal. No signs of the horrible migraine monster yet, and the first signs of it have stopped. I get debilitatingly severe migraine headaches with panic/anxiety attacks. Triptans have not been reliable and I cannot afford to pay for a trip to the ER that many times a week. So far so good, nausea and stuffy, but that's a vacation to one of my headaches!”

davismom3 · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2018

D.H.E. 45 (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: “My daughter received this medication through IV while in the hospital. Within 15 minutes after receiving the fifth dose her vision became significantly altered. We demanded subsequent doses be stopped. She now has 20/200 near vision and slightly altered far vision. At age 13 she stared wearing bifocals. Her ophthalmologist now has after two years without improvement determined that DHE caused her significantly impaired vision. Please be aware of this side effect prior to taking this drug.”

Anna B February 13, 2018

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Cluster Headaches: “I was told about this medicine from an older friend whom had horrible, debilitating migraines all her life and was light and sound sensitive. I would lock myself in a room and hope for it to pass. I was prescribed migranol. The active ingredient is actually a fungus. It has been around since ancient Roman times. (look it up..pretty interesting ) yes, the mark up is somewhere between 250%, the insurance pays $4,500 for 8 bottles. Yes, there is "No" generic and the company that makes it is from France. Yes, if you take it incorrectly, you will taste it in your mouth and swallow it. Please read the instructions all the way!!! Take in the first 5 minutes of a migraine..it will be less effective if it's a full blown migraine. Takes my migraine away about 75%. No high(unless mixed with other drugs), no drowsy or lingering effects. I will continue to take unless my insurance says no more. Important stick to the dose and don't go over as the toxic effects are dangerous - but its not toxic at correct dose.”

Joe with no migraines December 9, 2017

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: “Migranal works for me 100% of the time, although somewhat slow acting (1-3 hours). I used to get migraines about once a week, with duration of 1-3 days, sometimes severe. For the past 3 years, I have been taking 10 mg of amitriptyline at night, and 37.5/25 mg triamterene/HCTZ in the morning. Under this program, I get the beginning of a migraine about once every 1-3 months, and these events have been 100% controlled by Migranal. Btw, the addition of triamterene/HCTZ was for Meniere's syndrome, and the effect on migraine was a positive, unexpected side effect (amitriptylene alone had reduced the migraines to about 1-2 per month).”

Migrainaloid September 15, 2017

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: “Took the nasal spray version. It doesn't seem to do anything. My migraines continued at the same frequency and intensity.”

Don't do it · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 28, 2016

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: “This drug DAMN near killed me.. took as prescribed with in minutes I was confused and lost consciousness.. ended up in the ED . Woke up the next day with my face swollen double its size and having no idea what happened to me... DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION!!!”

Pwrnapper · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 29, 2016

D.H.E. 45 (dihydroergotamine) for Cluster Headaches: “For me with Chronic Cluster Migraines the Dihydroergotamine injections eliminates the migraine within 30 minutes and is best. I also use cold neck pack, keep in the freezer, and Oxygen, I have an oxygen generator set at 6 ml. I used to use Migranal, similar side. Migranal is not covered by Medicare/AARP United Healthcare ($500 retail each),but DHE45 is. Preferred plan appears to have best benefits but still expensive. Instead of 1 ml dose, I cut back to .35 ml and get 3 shots from each ampule, still works great for me. I fill 3 needles and keep available. DHE not available due to manuf shortage (Valient) until Jan, 2017 and they are only supplier. Waiting 2 months will be difficult so I have to ration.”

Linda Rosten October 26, 2016

For Migraine: “The drug almost killed me. User BEWARE. Gave me pulmonary edema!!! The doctor never even came to see me when I returned to the hospital not breathing. Don't take it.”

Kensi February 11, 2016

D.H.E. 45 (dihydroergotamine) for Cluster Headaches: “Excellent. It worked to break the cycle without many side effects”

MariaMMB January 23, 2016

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: “I had chronic severe migraines almost daily for 25 years. Some things have sort of worked; most not. Botox made an enormous difference in my headaches. I have been using Migranal for breakthrough headaches and life is very much better. This year, Migranal, nor its generic (which are made by the same company??), are covered under my insurance. I have Medicare, and I receive Social Security Disability. The generic cost is more than my whole SSD check. MY neurologist and pharmacists are out of suggestions. They say maybe I can ask for Patient Assistance Coverage, which almost always is only given to people who already have some kind of drug coverage. Or maybe the doctor can give me samples. I am horrified.”

Managing with headaches December 19, 2015

For Migraine: “I have used Migranal for years, but now the expense is very high. The medicine works well for me as well. The only reason for the cost is gouging by the drug companies that make this medicine. It is an old medication and the money they charge for it is not related to the cost of research or production. They charge this much because this country lets them get away with it. No other western country lets drug companies charge what they want for medicines. They should not be allowed to do it in the U.S. either. It is criminal.”

Ronnie L December 18, 2015

For Migraine: “I have been on this for 16 years and it works great. The price has gone way up but at I get vouchers off internet I hope this helps someone.”

AZ ill · Taken for 10 years or more May 3, 2015

For Migraine: “Hi All, Is there anyone else who has experienced a huge increase in cost for DHE mesylate (injectable vial)? I have injected with DHE 45 and now DHE mesylate for 17 yrs since my brain aneurysm rupture and clipping. As of Jan 2015 United Health Insurance along with Optum RX have raised my cost from $25 for a 90 day supply to $1500 to $1700 and this is my cost. Unable to afford this medication any longer I am left helpless. thanks for any input regarding similar price hikes.”

Clusterhead · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2014

D.H.E. 45 (dihydroergotamine) for Cluster Headaches: “Rough side effect profile (nausea, leg cramping, and the injections burn). Have used every day for a couple weeks to shut down a bad cluster. Worked pretty good.”

Brandysanders July 4, 2014

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Cluster Headaches: “I have suffered with clusters for the last 20 years. Every time I've been prescribed something that works, the FDA finds a negative reason to stop production. Migranal seems to work really well, but the price is ridiculous!! My pharmacist requests that I only get it at the end of the month due to his cost. Now my insurance cost on it is being raised. Go figure.....”

Cataleyaa July 1, 2014

For Migraine: “If you suffer from an anxiety disorder or depression, I would be very cautious with this medication. I suffer from chronic migraines and anxiety and depression, and was given DHE on multiple occasions for my acute migraines. As soon as the medication entered my body, I felt restless and anxious. Within 2 minutes, I was having a full-on panic attack; I was completely terrified even though I knew I was entirely safe. The horror consumed me & I lost my perspective and was convinced that I would feel that way for the rest of my life. I felt so hopeless that I couldn't bring myself to ask the doctor for help. It did help with the acute head pain, but it left me so terrified and anxious that I was back in the ER within 2 days for another migraine”

owka4u · Taken for 10 years or more March 26, 2014

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: “I have Celiac disease and one of the side effects are migraines that use to last 3 or days until I found DHE 45 which was 1st done by IV. After that I was prescribed the shots until the nasal spray came out. After 15 years of research on my own I have come to the conclusion that either Celiac or other allergens are the prime cause of migraines that last more then 24 hours and maybe those as well; for these conditions cause swelling in every cell in the body including the neurons. I hope this helps others who suffer from the debilitating pain caused by these episodes.”

MNWalsh · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 27, 2013

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: “My Doctor prescribed me Migranal earlier this year. I've had migraines since I was 6 and have never found anything that helps this much. I prefer the pill I can take over the spray. I've been to the ER before and they give me DHE (Migranal) in an I.V shot and it's magic. Look into this if you need help.”

jaxncadensmommy July 17, 2013

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: “I have been suffering from migraines for about 2 years now. I've tried a few different prescription pills and I've suffered from horrible side effects from each one. I was to the point where I felt almost hopeless because I couldn't do anything to relieve the pain when I would get migraines. My neurologist prescribed me Migrainal last month and I've had 3 horrible migraines since then. Each time I have used Migrainal within 30 minutes they are gone and I feel great and not defeated by the horrible migraine. I definitely would recommend and consider this a miracle!”

JLHelm June 1, 2013

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: “This medication is a miracle for me! I have had migraines for 26 years and tried just about everything. My neurologist prescribed this in an attempt to get rid of a 3 week migraine. I took the spray as directed and within an hour I was headache free. I have no side effects, no bad taste, nothing. It is truly my miracle!”

Susan G. October 23, 2012

D.H.E. 45 (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: “I have had migraines for 30 years. In the last year and a half they went from 15 day/month to practically every day. Triptans do not work as an abortive for me. Propananol is the only preventative thus far that has worked - but it stopped working after 4 weeks. My neurologist prescribed DHE in the injectible form. I do not like the little glass vials the DHE comes in, breaking them open, and using the syringe. That said, almost every time I use it, it breaks the migraine. Unfortunately, it does not always last more than 4-6 hours. I can get this at my local CVS (though they don't carry it in stock). I don't notice any side-effects but I generally take a nap afterward to let it do it's thing.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 24, 2012

Migranal (dihydroergotamine) for Migraine: “Taste in mouth, burning in throat, stuffy nose and nausea which all passed after an hour. Medication effective within 60-90 minutes. Very effective and less expensive than a trip to ER to receive DHE intravenously. TAKE A ZOFRAN!”