User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan, Calan SR, Covera-HS, Isoptin, Isoptin IV, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Verelan PM

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Verapamil.

Cluster Headaches

Arrhythmia
6.2

Summary of Verapamil reviews 8.0 116 reviews

Reviews for Verapamil

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraines since I was 12 and I'm now 63. As I reached menopause, they were supposed to go away. What a shock when the started getting worse in my mid 40- and often suicidal since I was in my 50. I thought I'd tried everything as I handed my new neuro a double sided list of all the meds I've tried. I was hospitalized for 5 days of IV DHE along with indomethen and verapamil. I still had almost daily headaches until about 3 weeks on the verapamil. It's been an absolute miracle going from waking & going to bed with a headache almost every night. I weigh myself a few times per week and noticed the scale going up 8 lb in less than a month. I just called my neuro to see if I can decrease from 240/Day or to perhaps an extended release"

Deborahmatis54 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "Hello, I'm a 36 yr old male suffering from chronic cluster headaches since the age of 19. For the first 15 years I would get 1-2 attacks daily with a week being the longest without an attack. I tried everything from nerve block injections to pain meds with nothing being effective and doctors thinking I only suffered from migraines or just wanted pain meds when all I ever wanted was any kind of relief. A few years ago they started getting worse and the attacks increased to 4, 5 even up to 7 a day. Imigran 6 mg shots helped when I got one at work but who can take that many shots a day or live in that kind of pain. I finally read about verapamil online and tried 240mg a day first and it completely changed my life. Unfortunately they have now returned"

wannabepainfree October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "I had regular clusters every August throughout my 20s and 30s. They went away when I had sinus surgery at age 40. Then they restarted in early May this year, at the age of 63. Verapamil 240 milligram has been completely effective in stopping them. (Unfortunately, they may have turned chronic -- whenever I experimentally quit the Verapamil, they resume.) I have one major side-effect: a daily two- or three-hour bout of diarrhea. Imodium and similar meds leave me with a painful case of constipation followed by...diarrhea. I have adopted a low-mass, low-irritant diet, and this mitigates it somewhat, but it does not solve it. My doc has directed me to try a lower dose (120 mg.) in the hope that this will mitigate this side effect."

Chuck E. August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "Have had cluster headaches for over 10 yrs now. Long story short, I now get a blocker injection in my neck, prednisone, and verapamil twice a year. Additionally, I have oxygen at home which has been a godsend. The headaches are gone within minutes. I've had 10 or more medications since I was diagnosed...oxygen and verapamil are the absolute best."

Fox_1474 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "Suffered cluster headaches since 16, had one in Dr's office at 29 years old ( thank goodness it was in his office) put me on verapamil, that was almost 31 years ago. Still have the symptoms ( sweating, temp, rise, etc. ) but not the pain. Wonder drug as far as I'm concerned."

Steve h. March 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "Have had headaches for over 25 yrs with every doctors going through the same regime of drugs. Finally got seen by a pain doctor and he immediately asked if any doc had talked to me about Cluster Headache (CH). NOPE!!!! Started off with 180g of verapimil and Cluster Headaches went from 18 or so a month down to 12. After upping the strength to 240mg I'm now down to 7-9 a month. A complete life changer and glad I stopped seeing a neurologist - my pain doc saved me and could be happier. I rather have 9 CH a month instead of 18"

Ricky san March 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Calan SR (verapamil) for High Blood Pressure: "Very effective in lowing my blood pressure but for the three weeks I was on it I had horrible diarrhea ( I was told it would go away in a few days) and subsequently turned into bleeding problems . I was on stomach meds for over one year after taking it for only three weeks and still to this day suffer from it. Be very careful with this med READ the warnings closely this side effect is rare but not a "unknown" reaction to this drug I was just unprepared and trusted my doctor, boy was I wrong.."

Raymone February 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "I am on 320mg 3 times a day. I find that they soften my headache but I still suffer a few headaches weekly.(no where near how many I suffer without verapamil). My ankles have now decided to balloon up daily now so I need to re think my treatment and may have to try something else as I'm not aloud a higher dose either."

Gerwyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Long time (up to one month) to start working in combination with Propafenone 150 mg 3x1 still episodes of PSVT"

DzoNI (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I have suffered with migraines since I was a small child. I am 47 now. I have tried everything. Depakote was great but I gained a lot of weight and lost half my hair. Some other treatments like Relpax caused amnesia. I am on 3 blood pressure pills including verapamil. I have only had 4 or 5 migraines in 2 years. Two required an ER visit, but that is down from about 6-8 migraines a month and a trip to the ER every 3 months. I can tell if I miss a few days because I forget to get it filled. This drug has made a big difference for me."

Dhawks (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Isoptin (verapamil) for Arrhythmia: "Not happy at all with this drug. 3 weeks on it and have extreme stomach pain, nausea, palpitations, very dry mouth, light-headedness. Would like to hold out to see if my body becomes adjusted, but can't function like this. My cardiologist is away so I have to find a doctor who can help."

Paula 123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Was prescribed Trorprol & Lisinipril before they put me on this. The first two made my hair thin, so they put me on 180 MG of verapimil. So far I have been on it for a month & it definitely has reduced my blood pressure. If you have problems with hair thinning I recommend this, I haven't noticed any hair thinning at all & I have not experienced any side effects. I'm 19 years old, 135 LBS & I'm 5'2. Definitely recommend!"

Knevins (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I have never had migraines, but 5 years ago I suddenly had stroke symptoms with hemiplegia on my left side. I have very little residual from that now, but I would get twinges/pinches in 2 distinct places in my brain and was very sensitive to light, noises, movement afterwards. Any concentrating on difficult things would trigger the symptoms, not a good thing for an ICU nurse. The only thing that controls it is 240mg ER of verapamil. With that I can work and live a normal life. I tried reducing it this year...big mistake. My symptoms returned....it has taken me almost 2 months to get back to where I was."

Dorby November 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Isoptin SR (verapamil) for Cluster Headaches: "Reduced clusters from three every day to one every three to four days !!"

Vagelislazos13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "I am taking this drug for an arrhythmia and have been since July 2016. I didn't even know I had any condition until I passed out and ended in hospital, I am now 39. I have found that I get off balance from doing to much or if walking around for to long i need to take "breaks". The last week I've started getting major headaches, going to Dr this week about those. I am interested in knowing if anyone has continued their usual workouts? Or if they have been on scary rides at theme parks or even rock climbing etc. will be asking Dr if ok etc but I have been so scared to do too much because of this new condition that my life is not the same and I want my life back!!! "

Shannen77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "This medicine saved my life!!! I've had terrible migraines since I was 16 and I'm now 24. I've tried so many medications and nothing worked to prevent them. The Triptans relieve the pain but only after the migraine starts. Verapamil is the only medicine that has completely blocked my migraines. I definitely recommend this! I've never had any side effects with it either."

rachsmi October 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "For A-Fib to reduce risk of stroke I suppose. Much better than Beta Blockers such as Monocor and Metoprolol which I could not tolerate. I do seriously over-heat after any kind of exertion like cutting the grass or going for a long walk. It takes an hour by the fan to cool down after that. 5 years after going on Verapamil I was diagnosed with enlarged Prostate and had to go in for TURP surgery. (Side effect)? I lost interest in sex for the most part. When I forget my slow release pill in the morning, by the afternoon I get the cold sweats. I am fond of my Verapamil."

fraidodrugs (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "I first experienced cluster headaches when I was 20 years old. Never felt anything as severe in my life. The first experience was pure hell, and unsuccessfully treated. Thankfully they subsided after a month in a half on their own. 3 years later (almost to the day) came round 2. This time, new doctor prescribed verapamil. Virtually made the headaches disappear within 48 hours. Had to stop taking the medications once a week to see if they were gone so I could discontinue the use of the medication. Been through this cycle 4 times now, and verapamil has had the same results each time. Frequency is the same, length of cycle is the same, and pain is the same... But as soon as I get on verapamil, It's almost like not having them at all."

Pavehawk (taken for 10 years or more) July 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "I tried verapamil 180mg one a day for just over 8 weeks. After trying Metoprolol, I couldn't the side effects of metoprolol. I didn't feel as many side effects on verapamil but it didn't work for me. Unfortunately heart still beat abnormally. Also blood pressure went up then down on standing."

healthyhealing July 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Covera-HS (verapamil) for Angina: "Makes me sleepy, then I just fall asleep. Fell asleep while stopped at a stop sign. I was woke up by my daughter. As she was in the back seat. The police intervened and they called an ambulance. It was a very scary situation. My blood sugar was tested and was 53! I surrendered my driver's licence.I no longe a star driver."

Bob i Toque (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I developed severe migraines 5 yrs ago AFTER having a brain aneurysm surgically clipped. 24/7 for 3 months straight.My Neurologist put me on Verapamil.After 3 weeks of being on it I was ready to give it up BUT In the fourth week it finally kicked in and my migraines were gone.I knew I could not live with these migraines the rest of my life 24/7.My neurologist explained to me that the blood from my heart was pumping to fast and to hard in going to my brain. In taking the Verapamil, pumping slowed down and took the pressure off the brainThat was five years ago.Just recently they started up again and she had to raise my Verapamil from 120 mg to 180.I'm praying that it will kick in soon as it's been just under a month. Still having the migrains"

jeaniii (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "Suffered for 4 years in a row from a very strong cluster headache, the doctors prescribed all sorts of medications, from migraine medications to steroids based medications, until I met a brilliant neurologist, who successfully diagnosed my case as Cluster Headache, and after 2 month using Verapamil the headache disappeared for 3 consecutive years, I still suffer from mild attacks every now and then, but it is not comparable in intensity and frequency with my previous state, in brief, Verapamil is magical in healing cluster headache,"

Fisso May 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "I have been suffering from Cluster Headaches periodically for the past 3 years. Did some research online and decided to ask my doc for some verapamil. Last Christmas I started taking it just before a holiday party and accidentally found out it also calms my anxiety. I was able to relax, and talk to people like a normal person and actually enjoyed people's company. It was a while since I felt that way in a social situation and I am so glad I came across verapamil."

Cluster headache sufferer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "I've been experiencing Chronic Cluster Headaches since 2005. I had no idea what was going on, and suffered for 3 years untreated and undiagnosed. After some internet sleuthing I was able to tell my doc what was going on. Fast forward to 2016. I take verapamil 180mg er twice a day. This treatment has worked almost without fail, until just recently. In the past I have had to take other meds in combination with the verapamil such as... Topamax, imatrex, magnesium, prednizone, and now lithium. None of these work for me, been having daily headaches again. I now have a sumatriptan injection I take when I feel one coming and it stops it within 10 minutes. I need help, please. "

KY Dan April 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I was diagnosed with chronic migraine at 18 yrs old and put on topamax which helped until recently. I am 23 now and was in a car accident several months ago started having vertigo, dizzy spells before a migraine, and almost everyday is a headache day. I went to a new neuro who started me on 120 mg verapamil, increased to 180 mg,then 240 mg at 240 mg the side effects were too much and am back to 180mg daily. It has def helped reduce vertigo. I still get some dizziness and lightheadedness every now and then. The migraines ate still almost every day. Waking up with a headache and going to sleep with a migraine many days."

Anonymous March 19, 2016