User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan SR Verelan Verelan PM

Verapamil has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 168 ratings on Drugs.com. 74% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 15% reported a negative experience.

Cluster Headaches
Angina
Summary of Verapamil reviews 7.8 168 reviews

Reviews for Verapamil

Anonymous · August 4, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: “I have suffered with severe migraines since 2008 and had been on so many different medications to try to control them, with many either not working or causing horrible side effects. In 2013 my neurologist finally put me on Verapamil Hydrochloride 240mg and these worked for a while but I actually found that I was still getting migraines and eye pain, So we cut it down to 120mg and 50mg of armitriplyline and again I found the pain was still there. I then stopped taking the amitriptyline and only took verapamil 120mg. I have not looked back since as verapamil has been amazing and haven't had a migraine at all (unless I forget to take my tablet) Obviously it is different for everyone, But this has been my God send!”

Grafwick · Taken for 10 years or more · August 26, 2014

For Cluster Headaches: “I have suffered from episodic cluster headaches for almost 50 years. 25 years ago, my doctor prescribed 240mg ER verapamil twice a day as a preventative when an episode began. Excellent results...no headaches unless I drank alcohol or ate chocolate. After about 8 weeks, my episode would be over and I stopped taking the verapamil. Another episode would occur in one to two years, 30 months max. After switching primary care doctors, my new doc suggested taking 240mg slow release verapamil every day to reduce my blood pressure and maybe act as a deterrent to the clusters. It worked...it has now been four years and no recurrence of the headaches. I only hope this goes on forever. My deepest sympathy goes out to anyone who has cluster headaches.”

Rivi · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 23, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on verapamil ER for over a month and am now trying to wean off of it. I started out at 180 once a day It brought my blood pressure down somewhat but my heart rate went low, it was hovering over 57 sometimes 53. I didn't like the feeling of dizziness and shortness of breath it was causing. I went down to 80 heart rate still low and blood pressure was around 137/80 The worst part is trying to get off of it. My doctor told me to just stop taking. The next night my blood pressure was 225/117. Heart rate in the hundreds. You can't go off cold turkey. I'm trying to wean off but having bad episodes of high blood pressure and changing heart rate. They should put a clear warning for going off this drug and how potent the drug is.”

LarryJankowski · January 22, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: “At age 37 I started feeling dizzy. -Not spinning, just a non-descript dizzy feeling, similar to a bad cigarette buzz. After 40+ doctors, 2 Mayo clinics and 2+ years, I was finally diagnosed with "vestibular migraine" and/or migrainous vertigo. I hesitate to call it vertigo as I was never spinning NOR DID I HAVE ANY HEADACHES! I was started at 40mg Verapamil 2x daily. That helped some. More was better. I worked with several Neuro-Otologists. At some point I was put on Verapamil ER, which I took once daily. -Much easier. I gradually increased the dosage to 400mgs/daily for about a month. I believe that broke the migraine cycle and was able to decrease down to 120mgs/day. I have since increased a bit as life stresses have increased.”

3aweekto3amonth · February 21, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: “This medication has improved my life so much. When I started taking it I was 17 and struggling to juggle friends, school and three migranes a week (which if been experiencing since I was twelve). I am now 20, in university, have loads of friends and only about 3 migranes a month. This might still seem like a lot, but to me this is bliss compared to how I spent most of my teenage years. Verapamil was a last resort my neurologist put me on after trying everything else, nobody expected it to work. It was (and still is) amazing. I have hardly any side effects, which is strange since I had a lot of horrible reactions to the other medications I tried before. Verapamil was my miracle drug, not sure how much longer I could've gone on as I was.”

rachsmi · October 12, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: “This medicine saved my life!!! I've had terrible migraines since I was 16 and I'm now 24. I've tried so many medications and nothing worked to prevent them. The Triptans relieve the pain but only after the migraine starts. Verapamil is the only medicine that has completely blocked my migraines. I definitely recommend this! I've never had any side effects with it either.”

vihenry · December 16, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: “I had chronic headaches and migraines and had all the tests MRI/CAT scan to try to determine cause - everything normal. Final resort was Verapamil and I was instantly pain free - as long as I take the lowest dose - am actually taking 1/2 pill of the smallest dose - extended release - and it works for me - but if I stop taking it - the headaches are back within two days.”

MIss Margaret · August 15, 2013

Calan SR (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: “I was put on a low dosage in 2002 when I was 37. The benefits were immediate and amazing. I actually looked forward to activities and outings. Unfortunately, after a couple years, the migraines crept back, only less severe, and less frequent. My doctor doubled the dosage, and that helped quite a bit. Now I take 350mg ER, which is the largest amount the doctor will allow. Although my migraines have become quite mild, I feel that the Verapamil has mostly lost its efficacy, and I plan to ask my doctor about gradually stopping the medication. Still, the years of relief it gave me were terrific, and I never hesitate to recommend it.”

SkiMama · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 11, 2013

For Migraine Prevention: “I am 42 years old. I've dealt with migraines for 9 years. I recently had to stop taking the birth control pill with estrogen due to blood clots. Almost immediately upon discontinuing the pill - my migraines became severe. I had one every day for 3 weeks. I was taking an Imitrex every day (not good). I tried beta blockers and other medicines that had way too many side effects. Then I started taking Verapamil 120 mg ER once a day. It took a couple of weeks for the Verapamil to start working...but it did! The migraines stopped. Verapamil did lower my blood pressure a little and my ankles would sometimes swell. However - it stopped my migraines!”

LeAnners · February 14, 2013

For Migraine Prevention: “I have a history of frequent headaches and mild dizziness. Recently developed severe 24/7 dizziness and head. Was bedridden for almost 3 months. Chronic migraine and vestibular migraine suspected. Started 120 mg verapamil and within days both headaches and dizziness started to improve. Within a few weeks was able to go back to work part time. Still not 100% but will be increasing dose and hoping for continued improvement. This medication has literally given me my life back!”

Dr. Pistole · April 24, 2012

Calan (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: “I've been taking Calan for over 18 years and it is truly amazing. I was having severe, life altering migrianes at least once a week, usually twice. The migrianes stopped instantly the week I started using this medication. If I miss a dose, the headace will come in about two days. Great motivation to take the medication on a timely basis. I highly recommend this treatment for migrianes.”

Gary Ped · December 8, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: “I began having nasty migraines mid November 2013. I got some relief from a pill I started to take in February 2014. By March my migraines were back. I suffered through the migraines until September 2014. I had to change doctors because mine retired. I mentioned my problems with migraines. I met with a nurse practitioner who went through all the usual stuff. I told her that I once had a pill that worked. She asked if I wanted to try it again. I said I did. At the end of the meeting I asked her if I could actually try something different. She prescribed Verapimil. THANK GOD. Three days later my migraines were gone. I'm not sure what I would have done without it.”

Anonymous · April 14, 2009

For Migraine Prevention: “I'm in shape, exercise, eat healthy, take my vitamins, no smoking or alcohol, yet have been miserable with headaches and frequent migraines. Verapamil, even in it's lowest dose, has helped to greatly reduce the frequency of my headaches and migraines. It is amazing to function all day without an aching head. It made me aware, for the first time, just how frequently I was experiencing problems. Very grateful for this medication.”

wonder drug · December 20, 2010

Calan SR (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: “From 1965 through 1992 I suffered from what a doctor called Migraine Headaches. I endured the sporadic episodes until they became longer in duration and more often. The constant nausea was worse than the headache itself, causing me to go to bed until the event would suddenly subside. Went to a doctor again around 1992 and was prescribed Calan SR. I took it until the prescription ran out ... and did not have any headaches during that time ... but then I did not renew my prescription and stopped taking it all together. However, I have never had a migraine again nor any type of headache at all since around 1992 to this day 2010 - that is approximately 16 years without even a headache. I consider this a miracle. ”

Tasha Anderson · Taken for less than 1 month · April 29, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: “This medicine was a lifesaver for me. I no longer experience migraines or headaches and can function as a regular human being and I feel like I have a new lease on life. I was getting 3-5 migraines a week and now I am not getting any.”

Naj · January 9, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: “To me this is a wonder drug, my migraines were driving me crazy it was the most uncomfortable experience. I was told by my neurologist that I have cluster migraines and suffered with it for about 6 years and he put my on 40mg of Verapmil twice a day. I can now live freely, if I get migraines now they are very weak and I can go about my day normally.”

NyteSkye · October 15, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: “I was diagnosed at 19. I began having bouts with hemiplegic migraines 10 years ago. While few and far between they were very scary! No one offered medications to control them until now. For a year or better I've had blurred vision in one eye that would come and go with a dull headache. After going to have a vision check my optometrist sent me directly to a neurologist. Something the ER and my family doctor wouldn't do. The aura I get before a migraine has changed and I'm having migraine spasms which is a severe migraine wo the normal pain symptoms. These actually caused my father's strokes at 41 yeas old! The neurologist started me on verapamil 40 mg 3xs a day. Pain free finally! Slight joint pain but worth it!”

fred62 · March 22, 2013

For Migraine Prevention: “I started taking Verapamil in 1995 after going to so many doctors about migraine headaches. Finally one doctor prescribed Verapamil. I haven't had a headache after going on this medication. It is a miracle because I was having headaches about every 3 weeks so bad I would have to go to bed for days.”

Mike Regan · November 28, 2010

Calan (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: “I started taking Calan (Varapamil) 20 years ago. It decreased my migraines from monthly, to only getting them every five years. So obviously I think it works amazing. 120mg per day, and I take extra if I feel like one is coming on. More recently I also started taking 400mg magnesium, and I think that has helped also. ”

Penny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · February 8, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Verapamil in the smallest dose possible did reduce my bp. However the muscle aches made me cry myself to sleep. The drug was teamed with hctz and worked well. I stopped the verapamil and continued the hctz and my bp remains controlled. The hctz is doing the trick. After ten days off of the verapamil the muscle aches have vanished. Now I have resumed my exercises.”

SkiPat · January 16, 2019

For Cluster Headaches: “I was misdiagnosed for years. I went to a sinus specialist and was also referred to chiropractor. I spent thousands of dollars out of pocket having my neck cracked. Often during attacks. Because my cluster attacks typically last about 3 hours I thought the chiropractor was actually doing something. I also think it affected my marriage and that my wife did not believe the severity of the headaches. Finally my chiropractor told me his treatments were not working. My neck muscles were tight but my alignment was fine. I was experiencing one of the worst attacks I’d had. He sent me to the walk in clinic and a PA actually listened to me and she knew immediately what was wrong. She prescribed 240mg Verapamil SR once a day, took me off Ibuprofen entirely and prescribed Imitrex Nasal for abortive. I still get some attacks. I now go months with no headaches and when I do enter a cluster period the attacks are much less severe. I also use O2 to treat an attack before it gets severe.”

CJs01125 · Taken for 1 to 2 years · December 10, 2014

For Cluster Headaches: “I am 29 been suffering since I was 15. I was Diagnosed with chronic cluster headaches until I was about 24. Dr currently has me on verapamil 240mg 2x daily. I've been on for approx 18 months after trying other various methods and well it Works EXCELLENT. I have 1 serious side effect..."I lost my mojo baby" no but for real being 29 and having zero sex drive and impotence problems with my current girlfriend is becoming an issue. I have tried to taper off verapamil but 2-3 days later the headaches come back. Verapamil is the only medication that has worked for me. I am not sure what I should do. Sex vs Clusters. Sad to say but I'd rather not have the headaches.”

Bayridge Ron · December 30, 2008

Verelan PM (verapamil) for High Blood Pressure: “I have had excellent results with this medication and only minimum side effects ( occasional constipation. I am a long-time calcium channel blocker taker and so far it has been an excellent prescription.”

hey jude · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 27, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: “I have only been taking verapamil for less than 2 months. It took 2 weeks before I got relief from my chronic migraines. It was a wonderful feeling until my ankles started to swell and had intense pain in my feet, legs and hands. I just started to wean myself off of this med and already have relief from the swelling ankles and pain. So back to the Doc to see what else she can offer. I hate taking meds and think I will try a chiropractor and see what they can do for my migraines.”

Anonymous · January 19, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: “I was diagnosed with cluster headaches 5 years ago, I have them everyday, I take 480mg of verapamil daily, oxygen, Maxalt wafer, Aspalgen, oxygen, morphine injections. Nothing is helping me so far, my dr is now trialling me on Topamax. I hope this works. My heart goes out to us all that live with this condition. You are not alone.”