User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Calan SR, Verelan PM

Verapamil has an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 from a total of 159 ratings on Drugs.com. 74% of those users who reviewed Verapamil reported a positive effect, while 14% reported a negative effect.

Cluster Headaches
Angina
Summary of Verapamil reviews 7.9 159 reviews

Reviews for Verapamil

Moz · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 6, 2021

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Finding little improvement of SVT have been taking for one month now”

Red · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 14, 2021

For Migraine Prevention: “I was given this drug to prevent migraines. It worked very well but it produced anal leakage. No joke not trying to be rude or funny. It was the last drug I started so I stopped taking and my problem went away. I could not find any reference to this side effect. Must just be me. It also put my BP at a great level along with my lisinopril. I’ve had HBP for 48 years after having my son. I’m 72.”

Brusto April 11, 2021

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Was taking metoprolol And that med just wiped me out. Made me way too tired with any exertion. Verapamil ER does the job and for me...no side effects”

Anonymous August 4, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: “I have suffered with severe migraines since 2008 and had been on so many different medications to try to control them, with many either not working or causing horrible side effects. In 2013 my neurologist finally put me on Verapamil Hydrochloride 240mg and these worked for a while but I actually found that I was still getting migraines and eye pain, So we cut it down to 120mg and 50mg of armitriplyline and again I found the pain was still there. I then stopped taking the amitriptyline and only took verapamil 120mg. I have not looked back since as verapamil has been amazing and haven't had a migraine at all (unless I forget to take my tablet) Obviously it is different for everyone, But this has been my God send!”

Rivi · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 23, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on verapamil ER for over a month and am now trying to wean off of it. I started out at 180 once a day It brought my blood pressure down somewhat but my heart rate went low, it was hovering over 57 sometimes 53. I didn't like the feeling of dizziness and shortness of breath it was causing. I went down to 80 heart rate still low and blood pressure was around 137/80 The worst part is trying to get off of it. My doctor told me to just stop taking. The next night my blood pressure was 225/117. Heart rate in the hundreds. You can't go off cold turkey. I'm trying to wean off but having bad episodes of high blood pressure and changing heart rate. They should put a clear warning for going off this drug and how potent the drug is.”

LarryJankowski January 22, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: “At age 37 I started feeling dizzy. -Not spinning, just a non-descript dizzy feeling, similar to a bad cigarette buzz. After 40+ doctors, 2 Mayo clinics and 2+ years, I was finally diagnosed with "vestibular migraine" and/or migrainous vertigo. I hesitate to call it vertigo as I was never spinning NOR DID I HAVE ANY HEADACHES! I was started at 40mg Verapamil 2x daily. That helped some. More was better. I worked with several Neuro-Otologists. At some point I was put on Verapamil ER, which I took once daily. -Much easier. I gradually increased the dosage to 400mgs/daily for about a month. I believe that broke the migraine cycle and was able to decrease down to 120mgs/day. I have since increased a bit as life stresses have increased.”

3aweekto3amonth February 21, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: “This medication has improved my life so much. When I started taking it I was 17 and struggling to juggle friends, school and three migranes a week (which if been experiencing since I was twelve). I am now 20, in university, have loads of friends and only about 3 migranes a month. This might still seem like a lot, but to me this is bliss compared to how I spent most of my teenage years. Verapamil was a last resort my neurologist put me on after trying everything else, nobody expected it to work. It was (and still is) amazing. I have hardly any side effects, which is strange since I had a lot of horrible reactions to the other medications I tried before. Verapamil was my miracle drug, not sure how much longer I could've gone on as I was.”

rachsmi October 12, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: “This medicine saved my life!!! I've had terrible migraines since I was 16 and I'm now 24. I've tried so many medications and nothing worked to prevent them. The Triptans relieve the pain but only after the migraine starts. Verapamil is the only medicine that has completely blocked my migraines. I definitely recommend this! I've never had any side effects with it either.”

Grafwick · Taken for 10 years or more August 26, 2014

For Cluster Headaches: “I have suffered from episodic cluster headaches for almost 50 years. 25 years ago, my doctor prescribed 240mg ER verapamil twice a day as a preventative when an episode began. Excellent results...no headaches unless I drank alcohol or ate chocolate. After about 8 weeks, my episode would be over and I stopped taking the verapamil. Another episode would occur in one to two years, 30 months max. After switching primary care doctors, my new doc suggested taking 240mg slow release verapamil every day to reduce my blood pressure and maybe act as a deterrent to the clusters. It worked...it has now been four years and no recurrence of the headaches. I only hope this goes on forever. My deepest sympathy goes out to anyone who has cluster headaches.”

vihenry December 16, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: “I had chronic headaches and migraines and had all the tests MRI/CAT scan to try to determine cause - everything normal. Final resort was Verapamil and I was instantly pain free - as long as I take the lowest dose - am actually taking 1/2 pill of the smallest dose - extended release - and it works for me - but if I stop taking it - the headaches are back within two days.”

SkiMama · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2013

For Migraine Prevention: “I am 42 years old. I've dealt with migraines for 9 years. I recently had to stop taking the birth control pill with estrogen due to blood clots. Almost immediately upon discontinuing the pill - my migraines became severe. I had one every day for 3 weeks. I was taking an Imitrex every day (not good). I tried beta blockers and other medicines that had way too many side effects. Then I started taking Verapamil 120 mg ER once a day. It took a couple of weeks for the Verapamil to start working...but it did! The migraines stopped. Verapamil did lower my blood pressure a little and my ankles would sometimes swell. However - it stopped my migraines!”

MIss Margaret August 15, 2013

Calan SR (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: “I was put on a low dosage in 2002 when I was 37. The benefits were immediate and amazing. I actually looked forward to activities and outings. Unfortunately, after a couple years, the migraines crept back, only less severe, and less frequent. My doctor doubled the dosage, and that helped quite a bit. Now I take 350mg ER, which is the largest amount the doctor will allow. Although my migraines have become quite mild, I feel that the Verapamil has mostly lost its efficacy, and I plan to ask my doctor about gradually stopping the medication. Still, the years of relief it gave me were terrific, and I never hesitate to recommend it.”

Penny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 8, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Verapamil in the smallest dose possible did reduce my bp. However the muscle aches made me cry myself to sleep. The drug was teamed with hctz and worked well. I stopped the verapamil and continued the hctz and my bp remains controlled. The hctz is doing the trick. After ten days off of the verapamil the muscle aches have vanished. Now I have resumed my exercises.”

LeAnners February 14, 2013

For Migraine Prevention: “I have a history of frequent headaches and mild dizziness. Recently developed severe 24/7 dizziness and head. Was bedridden for almost 3 months. Chronic migraine and vestibular migraine suspected. Started 120 mg verapamil and within days both headaches and dizziness started to improve. Within a few weeks was able to go back to work part time. Still not 100% but will be increasing dose and hoping for continued improvement. This medication has literally given me my life back!”

Gary Ped December 8, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: “I began having nasty migraines mid November 2013. I got some relief from a pill I started to take in February 2014. By March my migraines were back. I suffered through the migraines until September 2014. I had to change doctors because mine retired. I mentioned my problems with migraines. I met with a nurse practitioner who went through all the usual stuff. I told her that I once had a pill that worked. She asked if I wanted to try it again. I said I did. At the end of the meeting I asked her if I could actually try something different. She prescribed Verapimil. THANK GOD. Three days later my migraines were gone. I'm not sure what I would have done without it.”

Dr. Pistole April 24, 2012

Calan (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: “I've been taking Calan for over 18 years and it is truly amazing. I was having severe, life altering migrianes at least once a week, usually twice. The migrianes stopped instantly the week I started using this medication. If I miss a dose, the headace will come in about two days. Great motivation to take the medication on a timely basis. I highly recommend this treatment for migrianes.”

Tasha Anderson · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: “This medicine was a lifesaver for me. I no longer experience migraines or headaches and can function as a regular human being and I feel like I have a new lease on life. I was getting 3-5 migraines a week and now I am not getting any.”

Naj January 9, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: “To me this is a wonder drug, my migraines were driving me crazy it was the most uncomfortable experience. I was told by my neurologist that I have cluster migraines and suffered with it for about 6 years and he put my on 40mg of Verapmil twice a day. I can now live freely, if I get migraines now they are very weak and I can go about my day normally.”

Anonymous April 14, 2009

For Migraine Prevention: “I'm in shape, exercise, eat healthy, take my vitamins, no smoking or alcohol, yet have been miserable with headaches and frequent migraines. Verapamil, even in it's lowest dose, has helped to greatly reduce the frequency of my headaches and migraines. It is amazing to function all day without an aching head. It made me aware, for the first time, just how frequently I was experiencing problems. Very grateful for this medication.”

wonder drug December 20, 2010

Calan SR (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: “From 1965 through 1992 I suffered from what a doctor called Migraine Headaches. I endured the sporadic episodes until they became longer in duration and more often. The constant nausea was worse than the headache itself, causing me to go to bed until the event would suddenly subside. Went to a doctor again around 1992 and was prescribed Calan SR. I took it until the prescription ran out ... and did not have any headaches during that time ... but then I did not renew my prescription and stopped taking it all together. However, I have never had a migraine again nor any type of headache at all since around 1992 to this day 2010 - that is approximately 16 years without even a headache. I consider this a miracle. ”

NyteSkye October 15, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: “I was diagnosed at 19. I began having bouts with hemiplegic migraines 10 years ago. While few and far between they were very scary! No one offered medications to control them until now. For a year or better I've had blurred vision in one eye that would come and go with a dull headache. After going to have a vision check my optometrist sent me directly to a neurologist. Something the ER and my family doctor wouldn't do. The aura I get before a migraine has changed and I'm having migraine spasms which is a severe migraine wo the normal pain symptoms. These actually caused my father's strokes at 41 yeas old! The neurologist started me on verapamil 40 mg 3xs a day. Pain free finally! Slight joint pain but worth it!”

fred62 March 22, 2013

For Migraine Prevention: “I started taking Verapamil in 1995 after going to so many doctors about migraine headaches. Finally one doctor prescribed Verapamil. I haven't had a headache after going on this medication. It is a miracle because I was having headaches about every 3 weeks so bad I would have to go to bed for days.”

Mike Regan November 28, 2010

Calan (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: “I started taking Calan (Varapamil) 20 years ago. It decreased my migraines from monthly, to only getting them every five years. So obviously I think it works amazing. 120mg per day, and I take extra if I feel like one is coming on. More recently I also started taking 400mg magnesium, and I think that has helped also. ”

Toby · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 28, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “My V.A. practitioners put me on Verapamil in the fall of '16 to help prevent migraines & to lower my blood pressure...very few side effects if any & it has made a major difference in my life these last 2 1/2 years...I'm grateful.”

hey jude · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: “I have only been taking verapamil for less than 2 months. It took 2 weeks before I got relief from my chronic migraines. It was a wonderful feeling until my ankles started to swell and had intense pain in my feet, legs and hands. I just started to wean myself off of this med and already have relief from the swelling ankles and pain. So back to the Doc to see what else she can offer. I hate taking meds and think I will try a chiropractor and see what they can do for my migraines.”

Nomoremigraines!!! · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: “I had my first severe migraine attack at age 7 and was rushed to emergency! Now age 40; and after having 2 kids, migraines became way worse almost every day! Only thing that worked was Excedrine Migraine but fearful of the effects of longterm use of OTC's. Tried Botox which was very expensive and only got rid of migraines during treatment then they came right back...plus botox side effects were aweful. Topamax worked but terrible side effects as well. My doc recently put me on Verapamil 80mg 0.5tabs 3x/day and FINALLY a lifesaver!!!! 1st week of use I still had migraines. The 2nd week of use slight dizziness for about half hour after taking med but NO more migraines!!!!! Miracle drug! I have my life back!! Wish I was introduced to this med years ago.”

One good egg · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I am 72 years old and I have suffered migraines from age 9. They run in my family, father, grandfather. I am female. For 3 years I have used medical marijuana. I use 30 mg CBD oil morning and night. No more migraines. If I do feel a migraine I vape THC. It only take one or two inhales and it knocks it out before it takes hold. I have probably had to vape 3/4 times in the 3 years. I live in a state where you must register with the state and use certified dispensaries. Don’t mess around with all these pills, been there done that. Don’t buy CBD on the internet it’s not the real thing. Try medical marijuana.”

Anonymous July 11, 2012

For Migraine Prevention: “I started having dizziness and vertigo issues this year and was diagnosed with migraine in May. I was put on Prozac which helped with anxiety, but not with dizziness. Then the doctor added verapamil to my daily medication, initially at 120mg, which reduced the dizziness greatly within days. Then we upped to 240mg with even better results. I am about to go in for a 1 month check-up. I might ask if we can up the dose to 320mg or 360mg to get rid of the dizziness completely. This medicine has been a miracle, gave me my life back.”