User Reviews for Verapamil

Angina 1 reviews 130 medications
Summary of Verapamil reviews 7.9 147 reviews

Reviews for Verapamil

Myster C · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2020

For Nocturnal Leg Cramps: “Started taking this drug 24 hours ago. History of moderate/severe leg cramps, which quinine had controlled for several years. With the recent addition of a biologic medication for asthma, my cramps became worse 10 fold. I found the previous review and did some research along with discussions with my specialist and regular doctor. My doctor agreed to let me try it as my blood pressure has been a little elevated of late. Since on this medication I have not had a cramp. I've had a few twitches here and there, but nothing a little stretch can't fix.”

Jack Flash · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2020

For Cluster Headaches: “I’m a 43 year old male in good health. I get episodic cluster headaches about every 2-4 years lasting 4-8 weeks. My cluster headaches started in my early 30’s. I only take Verapamil during a cluster cycle. My neurologist prescribed Verapamil ER 240mg as a preventative at that time. With my most recent episode, breakthrough headaches that require a triptan were gone after 2 days of Verapamil and 4mg methyl-prednisone. After about 3 weeks of onset and 2 weeks of no prednisone, I still have symptoms and headaches but not the debilitating type. I can work and go through most of my normal routine without much issue.”

Montyaston · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2020

For Cluster Headaches: “Started using Verapamil after a year of Cluster Headaches, on advice from Neurologist (here in UK). I was getting them nearly every night about a couple of hours after going to sleep. Some were truly terrible, lasting several hours. Nasal sumatriptan was a huge help, but did not prevent the worst attacks. Sleep disruption led to a minor breakdown at work and I had to resign from my job. Started using Verapamil SR (Slow Release) 120mg twice per day. Headaches stopped immediately. I had many months pain free, an utter blessed relief. They then returned very faintly, but making me feel unwell for 2-3 days at a time. I increased the dose to 240mg twice per day and that has been better. I intend to lower the dose again after a while, to try to minimise the drug intake. But frankly I am thankful each day for the scientists, doctors and manufacturers who between them have created Verapamil.”

Penny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 8, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Verapamil in the smallest dose possible did reduce my bp. However the muscle aches made me cry myself to sleep. The drug was teamed with hctz and worked well. I stopped the verapamil and continued the hctz and my bp remains controlled. The hctz is doing the trick. After ten days off of the verapamil the muscle aches have vanished. Now I have resumed my exercises.”

Dawn · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2019

For Cluster Headaches: “I have been suffering from cluster headaches for about 10 years and diagnosed 5 years ago. Maxalt wafers helped but were taking too long to act. Then I got the sumatriptan injections and it was a life saviour as they work in less than 5 minutes. I am lucky to only get them every 3 years for 4 weeks ,once a day and then gone until this last cycle. It has been 8 weeks and I get up to 2 a night. Those Injections work but at $140 a day and are almost impossible to find where I am . I was terrified knowing I couldn’t get the life saving pain relief I needed so I went to a neurologist. It was actually 2 days ago. The plan is 10 days on prednisone and start verapamil and increase the dosage slowly. I am thinking of skipping the steroids as I am really worried of their side effects and just start the verapamil while using the injections I have left for pain relief until it starts working. Excited to see if it works and the cost is so much lower too.”

Starr December 1, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “Diagnosis with chronic migraines. Take 100mg verapmil ER daily @ night. Prior to taking had migraines for 6 months every day all day. They have decrease since being on but still not 100% myself so have also started botox every 3 months and now starting to feel like myself again. The combination of the two maybe the answer.”

Monica · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2019

For Arrhythmia: “Been on Verapamil for about 3 weeks. BP in good control and my ankles do not swell as much as the previous medication. I have been having abdo pain since I started the medication. My GP says it is due to constipation. I have never been constipated before. Hope this resolves in the next few weeks. I am going to try prunes.”

Rivi · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 23, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on verapamil ER for over a month and am now trying to wean off of it. I started out at 180 once a day It brought my blood pressure down somewhat but my heart rate went low, it was hovering over 57 sometimes 53. I didn't like the feeling of dizziness and shortness of breath it was causing. I went down to 80 heart rate still low and blood pressure was around 137/80 The worst part is trying to get off of it. My doctor told me to just stop taking. The next night my blood pressure was 225/117. Heart rate in the hundreds. You can't go off cold turkey. I'm trying to wean off but having bad episodes of high blood pressure and changing heart rate. They should put a clear warning for going off this drug and how potent the drug is.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 21, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “I use Verapamil ER 240 mg for the last 1.5 years, it has help reduce my migraines down to 4-5 a month from 12+ a month. I was told to watch my blood pressure because my blood pressure always runs low, so I bought a blood pressure machine and in the beginning my blood pressure was stable but with in the past 8 or so months it as been running higher than my normal. Even at rest it is high! I tried to look it up on the internet to see if anyone else has had this issue or if there was anything to show that it does increase blood pressure but found nothing. And when I mention it to my neurologist, along with the fact that since I've been taking this I've been getting random bruising (I will wake up and have 2-3 new ones!) but he states that it does not do that and that it must be my other meds, which I've been taking these for years without this problem!”

Dozerfan · Taken for 10 years or more November 3, 2019

Calan SR (verapamil) for Cluster Headaches: “I was prescribed this drug when diagnosed with cluster headaches. I used to get between 3 and 8 clusters daily for several months in a row. Once I was prescribed Calan SR (verapamil) the cluster headaches stopped. After having suffered with them from the age of 14 to 24 I considered verapamil a miracle for cluster headaches.”

Fini · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2019

For Arrhythmia: “I have been taking Verapamil ER 180mg once daily for arrhythmia for less than a week but my pulse hasn’t gone down below 100. I also have Ankylosing Spondylitis and Pulmonary hypertension. I feel anxious all the time. Could this be a combination of all my health problems?”

Pinky · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2019

For Arrhythmia: “Been on verapamil for 2 months and taking 120mgs 3 times a day, I’m very sweaty and have banging headaches/migraines constantly and my legs have swollen and random orange/red like rashes, still my heartbeat is too fast but hoping it may settle, as it is still early days”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “This is the worse medication that I have ever taken, by afternoon I have a migraine, it is not extended release. I had to go with a capsule form that costs more. They need to take this off the market.”

Mspiggy · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 29, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “This is one of the worst drugs ever!!!!!!! So very tired all the time, my migraines are worst. I fell over 2 weeks ago and injured and old spinal cord injury because I am so out of it being on Verapamil. Currently on 360 mg. which is a very high dose. I also do an injection on a monthly basis for my awful migraines that I exercise on a daily basis, botox and nothing has helped me. For all you on Verapamil very happy that is awful drug works for you.”

Bonnie July 21, 2019

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Been using verapamil for years, 240mg once daily. No side effects. Have a rare SVT occurrence, easily shutdown.”

Toby · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 28, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “My V.A. practitioners put me on Verapamil in the fall of '16 to help prevent migraines & to lower my blood pressure...very few side effects if any & it has made a major difference in my life these last 2 1/2 years...I'm grateful.”

SkiPat January 16, 2019

For Cluster Headaches: “I was misdiagnosed for years. I went to a sinus specialist and was also referred to chiropractor. I spent thousands of dollars out of pocket having my neck cracked. Often during attacks. Because my cluster attacks typically last about 3 hours I thought the chiropractor was actually doing something. I also think it affected my marriage and that my wife did not believe the severity of the headaches. Finally my chiropractor told me his treatments were not working. My neck muscles were tight but my alignment was fine. I was experiencing one of the worst attacks I’d had. He sent me to the walk in clinic and a PA actually listened to me and she knew immediately what was wrong. She prescribed 240mg Verapamil SR once a day, took me off Ibuprofen entirely and prescribed Imitrex Nasal for abortive. I still get some attacks. I now go months with no headaches and when I do enter a cluster period the attacks are much less severe. I also use O2 to treat an attack before it gets severe.”

Elliebeth · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 3, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: “Randomly started getting migraines about a year ago. Went to every doctor possible to figure out what was wrong and finally someone prescribed verapamil. I take 40mg 3x a day along with Migrelief supplements and its helped me more than anything else! Its helped me be able to function normally again. I've noticed it does make me a little lightheaded and I'm tired a lot so it's possible its lowering my blood pressure too much. Rather have that than the migraines though!”

Vonnie67 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: “I have been taking 240mg of Verapamil every night for my migraine headaches for three months and it has worked wonders for me. I occasionally get small headaches but they don't last long and it is nothing compared to my migraine headaches and nausea that I used to experience. I experienced some swelling of my feet and ankles when I first started taking it but it went away.”

Penny586 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 25, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: “I am taking 120 mg SR, once a day. I have had migraines since beginning puberty. I am 62. Unfortunately, verapamil does NOT prevent my migraines. It does, however, keep my heart rate higher, and steady, both good things. So I rated it at about a 5. Beta blockers slowed my heart rate down too much, and it would start to skip. Topomax just made my head feel funny. I have tried others on the list, with no success. I am now using more essential oils and herbs, hoping something will help.”

Wheels · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 21, 2018

Isoptin SR (verapamil) for High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking isoptin for seven years and it seems to work with no side effects”

Miss Penny · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I asked the NP to change my bp med from amlodipine to Verapamil. I had bad side effects starting ten years ago but there wasn’t a better replacement to the amlodipine at the time. I read good reviews about Verapamil and wanted to try it. It has turned my life around. No “Kafka dreams” anymore. My energy is better. My mood is better. It’s the right BP med for me. It may also help my mood that I’m in Tucson now and not in Northern Idaho anymore!”

Nomoremigraines!!! · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: “I had my first severe migraine attack at age 7 and was rushed to emergency! Now age 40; and after having 2 kids, migraines became way worse almost every day! Only thing that worked was Excedrine Migraine but fearful of the effects of longterm use of OTC's. Tried Botox which was very expensive and only got rid of migraines during treatment then they came right back...plus botox side effects were aweful. Topamax worked but terrible side effects as well. My doc recently put me on Verapamil 80mg 0.5tabs 3x/day and FINALLY a lifesaver!!!! 1st week of use I still had migraines. The 2nd week of use slight dizziness for about half hour after taking med but NO more migraines!!!!! Miracle drug! I have my life back!! Wish I was introduced to this med years ago.”

Ddsracefans · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2018

For Cluster Headaches: “I started experiencing, what’s been diagnosed as Cluster headaches, at age 51. I worked out, maintained a healthy weight, and ate healthy. So I had no clue what this was and why they were happening, my very astute doctor diagnosed Cluster Headaches. Within 5 days of starting Verapamil, my excruciating headaches dulled and then went away. It’s remarkable how quickly this drug worked. I also started taking a Magnesium supplement. I feel lucky my doctor figured it out.”

Charles · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2018

Verelan PM (verapamil) for High Blood Pressure: “I have been on Verapamil 200 mg ER for two months. Recently, I started getting palpitations, feeling dizzy, skipped beats, and fluttering and coughing sensation in my throat area and slow HB. I called my doctor and lowered my dose to 100 mg and he scheduled me for a halter monitor to see if it’s the medication. I am hoping it is and maybe he can switch me back to toprol xr.”