User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan, Calan SR, Covera-HS, Isoptin, Isoptin IV, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Verelan PM

Learn more about Verapamil.

Cluster Headaches 42 reviews 35 medications

Arrhythmia 7 reviews 43 medications

6.7
Summary of Verapamil reviews 100 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Verapamil

For Arrhythmia: "For A-Fib to reduce risk of stroke I suppose. Much better than Beta Blockers such as Monocor and Metoprolol which I could not tolerate. I do seriously over-heat after any kind of exertion like cutting the grass or going for a long walk. It takes an hour by the fan to cool down after that. 5 years after going on Verapamil I was diagnosed with enlarged Prostate and had to go in for TURP surgery. (Side effect)? I lost interest in sex for the most part. When I forget my slow release pill in the morning, by the afternoon I get the cold sweats. I am fond of my Verapamil."

fraidodrugs (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "I first experienced cluster headaches when I was 20 years old. Never felt anything as severe in my life. The first experience was pure hell, and unsuccessfully treated. Thankfully they subsided after a month in a half on their own. 3 years later (almost to the day) came round 2. This time, new doctor prescribed verapamil. Virtually made the headaches disappear within 48 hours. Had to stop taking the medications once a week to see if they were gone so I could discontinue the use of the medication. Been through this cycle 4 times now, and verapamil has had the same results each time. Frequency is the same, length of cycle is the same, and pain is the same... But as soon as I get on verapamil, It's almost like not having them at all."

Pavehawk (taken for 10 years or more) July 7, 2016

For Arrhythmia: "I tried verapamil 180mg one a day for just over 8 weeks. After trying Metoprolol, I couldn't the side effects of metoprolol. I didn't feel as many side effects on verapamil but it didn't work for me. Unfortunately heart still beat abnormally. Also blood pressure went up then down on standing."

healthyhealing July 6, 2016

Covera-HS (verapamil) for Angina: "Makes me sleepy, then I just fall asleep. Fell asleep while stopped at a stop sign. I was woke up by my daughter. As she was in the back seat. The police intervened and they called an ambulance. It was a very scary situation. My blood sugar was tested and was 53! I surrendered my driver's licence.I no longe a star driver."

Bob i Toque (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 28, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I developed severe migraines 5 yrs ago AFTER having a brain aneurysm surgically clipped. 24/7 for 3 months straight.My Neurologist put me on Verapamil.After 3 weeks of being on it I was ready to give it up BUT In the fourth week it finally kicked in and my migraines were gone.I knew I could not live with these migraines the rest of my life 24/7.My neurologist explained to me that the blood from my heart was pumping to fast and to hard in going to my brain. In taking the Verapamil, pumping slowed down and took the pressure off the brainThat was five years ago.Just recently they started up again and she had to raise my Verapamil from 120 mg to 180.I'm praying that it will kick in soon as it's been just under a month. Still having the migrains"

jeaniii (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "Suffered for 4 years in a row from a very strong cluster headache, the doctors prescribed all sorts of medications, from migraine medications to steroids based medications, until I met a brilliant neurologist, who successfully diagnosed my case as Cluster Headache, and after 2 month using Verapamil the headache disappeared for 3 consecutive years, I still suffer from mild attacks every now and then, but it is not comparable in intensity and frequency with my previous state, in brief, Verapamil is magical in healing cluster headache,"

Fisso May 12, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "I have been suffering from Cluster Headaches periodically for the past 3 years. Did some research online and decided to ask my doc for some verapamil. Last Christmas I started taking it just before a holiday party and accidentally found out it also calms my anxiety. I was able to relax, and talk to people like a normal person and actually enjoyed people's company. It was a while since I felt that way in a social situation and I am so glad I came across verapamil."

Cluster headache sufferer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "I've been experiencing Chronic Cluster Headaches since 2005. I had no idea what was going on, and suffered for 3 years untreated and undiagnosed. After some internet sleuthing I was able to tell my doc what was going on. Fast forward to 2016. I take verapamil 180mg er twice a day. This treatment has worked almost without fail, until just recently. In the past I have had to take other meds in combination with the verapamil such as... Topamax, imatrex, magnesium, prednizone, and now lithium. None of these work for me, been having daily headaches again. I now have a sumatriptan injection I take when I feel one coming and it stops it within 10 minutes. I need help, please. "

KY Dan April 24, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I was diagnosed with chronic migraine at 18 yrs old and put on topamax which helped until recently. I am 23 now and was in a car accident several months ago started having vertigo, dizzy spells before a migraine, and almost everyday is a headache day. I went to a new neuro who started me on 120 mg verapamil, increased to 180 mg,then 240 mg at 240 mg the side effects were too much and am back to 180mg daily. It has def helped reduce vertigo. I still get some dizziness and lightheadedness every now and then. The migraines ate still almost every day. Waking up with a headache and going to sleep with a migraine many days."

Anonymous March 19, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "Been having cluster headaches for twelve years. I'm on my forth cycle now. My cycles come about every three years. I tell everybody I know cluster headaches are sooooo painful. Im so blessed to have been prescribed verapamil by the first doctor that was seen by. Verapamil usaully takes 10-14 days to fully work. Im so thankful for all the advice and its good to hear from people understand my pain."

Couther March 6, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "This medication has improved my life so much. When I started taking it I was 17 and struggling to juggle friends, school and three migranes a week (which if been experiencing since I was twelve). I am now 20, in university, have loads of friends and only about 3 migranes a month. This might still seem like a lot, but to me this is bliss compared to how I spent most of my teenage years. Verapamil was a last resort my neurologist put me on after trying everything else, nobody expected it to work. It was (and still is) amazing. I have hardly any side effects, which is strange since I had a lot of horrible reactions to the other medications I tried before. Verapamil was my miracle drug, not sure how much longer I could've gone on as I was."

3aweekto3amonth February 21, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "This drug has been a life saver I've managed to keep cycle at bay using 240mg although now have increased to 480mg as had few creeping in. There are side effects but what could be worse than the pain of cluster headaches!! Hugely recommend to sufferers."

Jonas22 February 4, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Works very well."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 20, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Doesn't work! I still have migraines at least 3 to 4 times a week and have to take Excedrin Migraine to get rid of them."

RettaG (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been having daily migraines with aura for many years. I tried different things until I was prescribed calcium channel blockers.I tried first amilodipine with encouraging results at first, but then having severe side effects. So switched to verapamil, where the positive impact on the migraines is a bit less pronounced, but I am practically free of side effects. it didn't solve my problem, but I can feel a significant improvement."

avalokiteshwara (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "To me this is a wonder drug, my migraines were driving me crazy it was the most uncomfortable experience. I was told by my neurologist that I have cluster migraines and suffered with it for about 6 years and he put my on 40mg of Verapmil twice a day. I can now live freely, if I get migraines now they are very weak and I can go about my day normally."

Naj January 9, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I had chronic headaches and migraines and had all the tests MRI/CAT scan to try to determine cause - everything normal. Final resort was Verapamil and I was instantly pain free - as long as I take the lowest dose - am actually taking 1/2 pill of the smallest dose - extended release - and it works for me - but if I stop taking it - the headaches are back within two days."

vihenry December 16, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "I'm a 56 year old male and started having CH at age 18. Treatment is different for men than women as to what works best. I've had the best success with a neuro who fought to get my insurance to approve Oxygen. Breathing 10 milliliters per minute through a mask at the onset of the CH while lying down in the dark breathing slowly in through the nose has worked everytime and without all the side effects of prednisolone, Verapamil and the like. Essential Oils Peppermint rubbed on the temples and back of the neck which for me is the first indication of an onset has proven effective too. Guys are expected to grow out of it in our fifties. I'm still hoping that happens as nobody truly understands the severity of this type of pain."

mstrass (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "40mg per day is normally considered a very low dose but is all that I need to prevent migraines. I tried just about everything else for years until I got on to Verapamil. To me this is a wonder drug."

go500 December 6, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Verapamil was given to me for migraines in the same week I was placed on ziprasidone. They didn't mix well. Had a horrible reaction heart dysrhythmia and weakened my kidney's. My lesson to all read and know all warnings of all new medications."

Luckybutterfly November 3, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraines for over 30 years and have tried so many things. My doctor started me on Verapamil 240mg 3 weeks ago. I've had no relief. If anything my migraines have been more intense. This was pretty much my last chance as I have tried everything else. I average 12 to 15 migraines a month and am so tired of them. I was so hoping this would work. I'm going to give it a little longer but am getting night sweats and dizziness from it."

KalGal2 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I was diagnosed at 19. I began having bouts with hemiplegic migraines 10 years ago. While few and far between they were very scary! No one offered medications to control them until now. For a year or better I've had blurred vision in one eye that would come and go with a dull headache. After going to have a vision check my optometrist sent me directly to a neurologist. Something the ER and my family doctor wouldn't do. The aura I get before a migraine has changed and I'm having migraine spasms which is a severe migraine wo the normal pain symptoms. These actually caused my father's strokes at 41 yeas old! The neurologist started me on verapamil 40 mg 3xs a day. Pain free finally! Slight joint pain but worth it!"

NyteSkye October 15, 2015

Verelan (verapamil) for Cluster Headaches: "I take the stuff twice a day (sometimes more, depending) and I find it very effective. It takes a few minutes to kick in so as soon as you feel a CH coming on, pop one. It also works as a preventative for CHs; I take one as soon as I wake up. I also take Rizatriptan, which works crazy good but they only prescribe ten pills per month, so use sparingly."

SweeT17 October 14, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "Im 41 years old and suffer from episodic cluster headaches for the last 3 years. First I thought I had Migraines , but the pain was so severe and it returns every year sane day same time for the last 3 years. I was devastated, and did my own research. I'm now on 3x80 mg Verapimil a day and I'm cluster headache free. I do live in Mexico and Verapimil or Verapimilo is available over the counter for 15. 00 pesos 1.00 us $ for 10 pills 80 mg without prescription. Its amazing I tried the lowest dose first. Thank you Verapimil....."

Matthewernst August 7, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've also been headache free for several years. Took everyday for three years. Saved my life too!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 7, 2015