User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan, Calan SR, Covera-HS, Isoptin, Isoptin IV, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Verelan PM

Cluster Headaches

Arrhythmia
6.2

Summary of Verapamil reviews 8.0 126 reviews

Reviews for Verapamil

For High Blood Pressure: "I asked the NP to change my bp med from amlodipine to Verapamil. I had bad side effects starting ten years ago but there wasn’t a better replacement to the amlodipine at the time. I read good reviews about Verapamil and wanted to try it. It has turned my life around. No “Kafka dreams” anymore. My energy is better. My mood is better. It’s the right BP med for me. It may also help my mood that I’m in Tucson now and not in Northern Idaho anymore!"

Miss Penny (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I had my first severe migraine attack at age 7 and was rushed to emergency! Now age 40; and after having 2 kids, migraines became way worse almost every day! Only thing that worked was Excedrine Migraine but fearful of the effects of longterm use of OTC's. Tried Botox which was very expensive and only got rid of migraines during treatment then they came right back...plus botox side effects were aweful. Topamax worked but terrible side effects as well. My doc recently put me on Verapamil 80mg 0.5tabs 3x/day and FINALLY a lifesaver!!!! 1st week of use I still had migraines. The 2nd week of use slight dizziness for about half hour after taking med but NO more migraines!!!!! Miracle drug! I have my life back!! Wish I was introduced to this med years ago."

Nomoremigraines!!! (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2018

For Cluster Headaches: "I started experiencing, what’s been diagnosed as Cluster headaches, at age 51. I worked out, maintained a healthy weight, and ate healthy. So I had no clue what this was and why they were happening, my very astute doctor diagnosed Cluster Headaches. Within 5 days of starting Verapamil, my excruciating headaches dulled and then went away. It’s remarkable how quickly this drug worked. I also started taking a Magnesium supplement. I feel lucky my doctor figured it out."

Ddsracefans (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2018

Verelan PM (verapamil) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been on Verapamil 200 mg ER for two months. Recently, I started getting palpitations, feeling dizzy, skipped beats, and fluttering and coughing sensation in my throat area and slow HB. I called my doctor and lowered my dose to 100 mg and he scheduled me for a halter monitor to see if it’s the medication. I am hoping it is and maybe he can switch me back to toprol xr."

Charles (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I was told to take Verapamil once a day. The first day was fine, no problems at all. The second day (- only the 2nd tablet I took) was horrendous. Within 30 minutes of taking the tablet I began to feel very hot. Within about 40 minutes I could barely stay seated upright - I felt so weak. Then I started to feel like I was no longer in my body. I became very anxious and felt extremely ill, to the point where I actually thought I might be dying! This continued for about an hour then began to lessen. I didn't take a 3rd dose (unsurprisingly!). Months later I was doing some research after having my DNA sequenced and found I have a metabolic disorder called TMAU (trimethylaminuria). TMAU causes my body not to process some chemicals properly, inc some medications eg Verapamil. I presume this is the reason I had such an extremely bad reaction to it."

domino101 (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Had constant migraines affecting my quality of life, but after various trial and error with other drugs, my doctor prescribed me verapamil 80mg once daily. Have not had a headache since, worked wonders."

Jordan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

For Cluster Headaches: "I’m a 29 yo female and I’ve had cluster headaches since I was 15. I first got on verapamil around 18 when I finally had a diagnosis and good doctor. It’s been very effective for me. Thing is it mucked up my hormones and made me lactate (!!) so I had to take other medication to control that. I’m now withdrawing progressively from verapamil as we want to have children and the medication gets through placenta and breast milk. So for so good, so I might be in a time without headaches. Crossing my fingers for it to continue like this!"

The0dile (taken for 10 years or more) February 10, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I had a problem with SVTs for a number of years and when it was necessary to have medical intervention in the ER, Verapamil was the drug of choice at that time. It always worked just fine for me with no side effects. I see now the drug of choice is Adenosine which Is very scary to watch when it is being administered to a patient. I eventually had an ablation done, but I would NOT want to have adenosine given to me if I ever was in a situation where I needed that intervention."

Poopyfart January 28, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Works very well so far. So much better, with less side effects, does not cause the sedation and grogginess like amitriptyline. However, I am experiencing the side effect of constipation which was easily remedied with 1 tsp coconut oil in the morning added to my hot beverage. I am hopeful that this drug continues to work for me. I started on 140mg. I did have migraines during the first week, but since then, I haven't had one for 3 weeks which is life changing for me."

elisaasile (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2018

For Cluster Headaches: "Hi, suffered Cluster Headache for 14 years. Verapamil is great. Usually I can stay cluster free on 240-360 mg /day but having a bad episode at the moment and on 960mgs. This is the worst I have had for many years and I think brought on by season change and a recent bad cough which lasted around 6 weeks. Also Imigram injections as an abortive work very well. I notice that a few people mention taking Verapamil SR (Sustained or Slow Release). This is not the drug you need I promise you. You need the fast release Verapamil without the SR. I was mistakenly prescribed these when first diagnosed and while they helped the positive difference when switched to the non-SR drug was staggering."

PeterB80 (taken for 10 years or more) December 15, 2017

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraines since I was 12 and I'm now 63. As I reached menopause, they were supposed to go away. What a shock when the started getting worse in my mid 40- and often suicidal since I was in my 50. I thought I'd tried everything as I handed my new neuro a double sided list of all the meds I've tried. I was hospitalized for 5 days of IV DHE along with indomethen and verapamil. I still had almost daily headaches until about 3 weeks on the verapamil. It's been an absolute miracle going from waking & going to bed with a headache almost every night. I weigh myself a few times per week and noticed the scale going up 8 lb in less than a month. I just called my neuro to see if I can decrease from 240/Day or to perhaps an extended release"

Deborahmatis54 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2017

For Cluster Headaches: "Hello, I'm a 36 yr old male suffering from chronic cluster headaches since the age of 19. For the first 15 years I would get 1-2 attacks daily with a week being the longest without an attack. I tried everything from nerve block injections to pain meds with nothing being effective and doctors thinking I only suffered from migraines or just wanted pain meds when all I ever wanted was any kind of relief. A few years ago they started getting worse and the attacks increased to 4, 5 even up to 7 a day. Imigran 6 mg shots helped when I got one at work but who can take that many shots a day or live in that kind of pain. I finally read about verapamil online and tried 240mg a day first and it completely changed my life. Unfortunately they have now returned"

wannabepainfree October 8, 2017

For Cluster Headaches: "I had regular clusters every August throughout my 20s and 30s. They went away when I had sinus surgery at age 40. Then they restarted in early May this year, at the age of 63. Verapamil 240 milligram has been completely effective in stopping them. (Unfortunately, they may have turned chronic -- whenever I experimentally quit the Verapamil, they resume.) I have one major side-effect: a daily two- or three-hour bout of diarrhea. Imodium and similar meds leave me with a painful case of constipation followed by...diarrhea. I have adopted a low-mass, low-irritant diet, and this mitigates it somewhat, but it does not solve it. My doc has directed me to try a lower dose (120 mg.) in the hope that this will mitigate this side effect."

Chuck E. August 30, 2017

For Cluster Headaches: "Have had cluster headaches for over 10 yrs now. Long story short, I now get a blocker injection in my neck, prednisone, and verapamil twice a year. Additionally, I have oxygen at home which has been a godsend. The headaches are gone within minutes. I've had 10 or more medications since I was diagnosed...oxygen and verapamil are the absolute best."

Fox_1474 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

For Cluster Headaches: "Suffered cluster headaches since 16, had one in Dr's office at 29 years old ( thank goodness it was in his office) put me on verapamil, that was almost 31 years ago. Still have the symptoms ( sweating, temp, rise, etc. ) but not the pain. Wonder drug as far as I'm concerned."

Steve h. March 25, 2017

For Cluster Headaches: "Have had headaches for over 25 yrs with every doctors going through the same regime of drugs. Finally got seen by a pain doctor and he immediately asked if any doc had talked to me about Cluster Headache (CH). NOPE!!!! Started off with 180g of verapimil and Cluster Headaches went from 18 or so a month down to 12. After upping the strength to 240mg I'm now down to 7-9 a month. A complete life changer and glad I stopped seeing a neurologist - my pain doc saved me and could be happier. I rather have 9 CH a month instead of 18"

Ricky san March 8, 2017

Calan SR (verapamil) for High Blood Pressure: "Very effective in lowing my blood pressure but for the three weeks I was on it I had horrible diarrhea ( I was told it would go away in a few days) and subsequently turned into bleeding problems . I was on stomach meds for over one year after taking it for only three weeks and still to this day suffer from it. Be very careful with this med READ the warnings closely this side effect is rare but not a "unknown" reaction to this drug I was just unprepared and trusted my doctor, boy was I wrong.."

Raymone February 23, 2017

For Cluster Headaches: "I am on 320mg 3 times a day. I find that they soften my headache but I still suffer a few headaches weekly.(no where near how many I suffer without verapamil). My ankles have now decided to balloon up daily now so I need to re think my treatment and may have to try something else as I'm not aloud a higher dose either."

Gerwyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2017

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Long time (up to one month) to start working in combination with Propafenone 150 mg 3x1 still episodes of PSVT"

DzoNI (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

For Migraine Prevention: "I have suffered with migraines since I was a small child. I am 47 now. I have tried everything. Depakote was great but I gained a lot of weight and lost half my hair. Some other treatments like Relpax caused amnesia. I am on 3 blood pressure pills including verapamil. I have only had 4 or 5 migraines in 2 years. Two required an ER visit, but that is down from about 6-8 migraines a month and a trip to the ER every 3 months. I can tell if I miss a few days because I forget to get it filled. This drug has made a big difference for me."

Dhawks (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2017

Isoptin (verapamil) for Arrhythmia: "Not happy at all with this drug. 3 weeks on it and have extreme stomach pain, nausea, palpitations, very dry mouth, light-headedness. Would like to hold out to see if my body becomes adjusted, but can't function like this. My cardiologist is away so I have to find a doctor who can help."

Paula 123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "Was prescribed Trorprol & Lisinipril before they put me on this. The first two made my hair thin, so they put me on 180 MG of verapimil. So far I have been on it for a month & it definitely has reduced my blood pressure. If you have problems with hair thinning I recommend this, I haven't noticed any hair thinning at all & I have not experienced any side effects. I'm 19 years old, 135 LBS & I'm 5'2. Definitely recommend!"

Knevins (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I have never had migraines, but 5 years ago I suddenly had stroke symptoms with hemiplegia on my left side. I have very little residual from that now, but I would get twinges/pinches in 2 distinct places in my brain and was very sensitive to light, noises, movement afterwards. Any concentrating on difficult things would trigger the symptoms, not a good thing for an ICU nurse. The only thing that controls it is 240mg ER of verapamil. With that I can work and live a normal life. I tried reducing it this year...big mistake. My symptoms returned....it has taken me almost 2 months to get back to where I was."

Dorby November 16, 2016

Isoptin SR (verapamil) for Cluster Headaches: "Reduced clusters from three every day to one every three to four days !!"

Vagelislazos13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2016

For Arrhythmia: "I am taking this drug for an arrhythmia and have been since July 2016. I didn't even know I had any condition until I passed out and ended in hospital, I am now 39. I have found that I get off balance from doing to much or if walking around for to long i need to take "breaks". The last week I've started getting major headaches, going to Dr this week about those. I am interested in knowing if anyone has continued their usual workouts? Or if they have been on scary rides at theme parks or even rock climbing etc. will be asking Dr if ok etc but I have been so scared to do too much because of this new condition that my life is not the same and I want my life back!!! "

Shannen77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2016