User Reviews for Verapamil to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Calan, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Calan SR Verelan PM

Verapamil has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of High Blood Pressure. 47% of those users who reviewed Verapamil reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Verapamil Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 286 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Verapamil

Annie February 1, 2021

“I'm on Verapamil for high blood pressure, and I have the uncommon symptoms like edema, dizziness, shortness of breath, and hair loss. I'm trying to get off of it, and I normally take 240 mg per day, and yesterday I took 1/2 of a pill less, and my BP went up 20 points. I'm trying to find a bp med that works better with my body.”

Penny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 8, 2020

“Verapamil in the smallest dose possible did reduce my bp. However the muscle aches made me cry myself to sleep. The drug was teamed with hctz and worked well. I stopped the verapamil and continued the hctz and my bp remains controlled. The hctz is doing the trick. After ten days off of the verapamil the muscle aches have vanished. Now I have resumed my exercises.”

Rivi · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 23, 2019

“I have been on verapamil ER for over a month and am now trying to wean off of it. I started out at 180 once a day It brought my blood pressure down somewhat but my heart rate went low, it was hovering over 57 sometimes 53. I didn't like the feeling of dizziness and shortness of breath it was causing. I went down to 80 heart rate still low and blood pressure was around 137/80 The worst part is trying to get off of it. My doctor told me to just stop taking. The next night my blood pressure was 225/117. Heart rate in the hundreds. You can't go off cold turkey. I'm trying to wean off but having bad episodes of high blood pressure and changing heart rate. They should put a clear warning for going off this drug and how potent the drug is.”

Bayridge Ron December 30, 2008

Verelan PM (verapamil): “I have had excellent results with this medication and only minimum side effects ( occasional constipation. I am a long-time calcium channel blocker taker and so far it has been an excellent prescription.”

gwendellan October 22, 2011

“Verapamil ER 180 mg gave me tightness in chest, flu syndrome, cough, stomach pain, low grade fever, and a general feeling of being unwell. Also tiredness, headache and constipation. I took it for one week and discontinued due to these bad side effects. Unfortunately this medicine is not for me. Further, it did not lower my hypertension at all.”

loret May 20, 2013

“Verapamil 80mg 2 times a day lowered my blood pressure significantly. The side effects are occasional constipation, itchy rashes, little shortness of breath and mild fatigue. Drinking at least 8 to 10 glasses of water a day helps. I like this better than atenolol which lowered my heartbeat and blood pressure to 100/49, and hydrochlorothiazide, which caused dehydration, tingling, rashes feeling very cold and fatigue.”

Raymone February 23, 2017

Calan SR (verapamil): “Very effective in lowing my blood pressure but for the three weeks I was on it I had horrible diarrhea ( I was told it would go away in a few days) and subsequently turned into bleeding problems . I was on stomach meds for over one year after taking it for only three weeks and still to this day suffer from it. Be very careful with this med READ the warnings closely this side effect is rare but not a "unknown" reaction to this drug I was just unprepared and trusted my doctor, boy was I wrong..”

Ray64 November 8, 2010

“I took this medication for a week and although it did help with my blood pressure it made me very confused and light headed. I got so bad that I stopped taking the medicine and called my doctor for a different type of medication. Just wasn't for me I guess.”

Miss Penny · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2018

“I asked the NP to change my bp med from amlodipine to Verapamil. I had bad side effects starting ten years ago but there wasn’t a better replacement to the amlodipine at the time. I read good reviews about Verapamil and wanted to try it. It has turned my life around. No “Kafka dreams” anymore. My energy is better. My mood is better. It’s the right BP med for me. It may also help my mood that I’m in Tucson now and not in Northern Idaho anymore!”

domino101 · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2018

“I was told to take Verapamil once a day. The first day was fine, no problems at all. The second day (- only the 2nd tablet I took) was horrendous. Within 30 minutes of taking the tablet I began to feel very hot. Within about 40 minutes I could barely stay seated upright - I felt so weak. Then I started to feel like I was no longer in my body. I became very anxious and felt extremely ill, to the point where I actually thought I might be dying! This continued for about an hour then began to lessen. I didn't take a 3rd dose (unsurprisingly!). Months later I was doing some research after having my DNA sequenced and found I have a metabolic disorder called TMAU (trimethylaminuria). TMAU causes my body not to process some chemicals properly, inc some medications eg Verapamil. I presume this is the reason I had such an extremely bad reaction to it.”

Knevins · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2016

“Was prescribed Trorprol & Lisinipril before they put me on this. The first two made my hair thin, so they put me on 180 MG of verapimil. So far I have been on it for a month & it definitely has reduced my blood pressure. If you have problems with hair thinning I recommend this, I haven't noticed any hair thinning at all & I have not experienced any side effects. I'm 19 years old, 135 LBS & I'm 5'2. Definitely recommend!”

Charles · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2018

Verelan PM (verapamil): “I have been on Verapamil 200 mg ER for two months. Recently, I started getting palpitations, feeling dizzy, skipped beats, and fluttering and coughing sensation in my throat area and slow HB. I called my doctor and lowered my dose to 100 mg and he scheduled me for a halter monitor to see if it’s the medication. I am hoping it is and maybe he can switch me back to toprol xr.”

Ric. September 30, 2008

“Great pill. It really works well.”

Wheels · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 21, 2018

Isoptin SR (verapamil): “I have been taking isoptin for seven years and it seems to work with no side effects”

Uiuuuuuuut December 5, 2014

“Been on 240mg once a day for about 4 years had good results. They changed from a solid to a time released capsule. Results are not good now. Not sure why. May have to change meds”

mch999 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2015

“Helps control my blood pressure with no noticeable side effects at the 240mg/day dosage.”