User Reviews for Tikosyn

Learn more about Tikosyn.

Arrhythmia 33 reviews 43 medications

8.3
Summary of Tikosyn reviews 33 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Tikosyn

For Arrhythmia "I was given a Rx for Predisone to help alleviate bursitis in my hip. After taking the Z pack for 4 days I started have rapid heart rate.... I called the doctor and he said to go to the emergency room, I was admitted to hospital with a HR of 180. After several days of trying different options they decided to use the electrical shock method, doctor tried it 3 times and he said it still did not get into right rate, he called another doctor that specializes in the "electrical" part of the heart and he started me ton Tikosyn and Eliquis and within 4 hours my rate was normal. Then I had to stay in the hospital for 3 more days (7 days total).Having problems with feet & leg swelling and getting my diabetes back in acceptable range."

BestGigi July 19, 2016

For Arrhythmia "I went on Tikosyn during 4 day stay in hospital in Feb. 2016 for initiation. I had already failed 3 antiarrhythmics, and my second cardioversion lasted about a week, and I had had very serious side effects from flecainide and propafenone which both sent me to the emergency room. Four hours after the second dose of Tikosyn I locked into sinus rhythm and stayed there. I have had some 3-4 abbreviated runs of irregular HR lasting less than 2 mins. each from Feb. through July, but I'm still very happy. This is one of the few drugs I have ever taken that works, with no side effects that I am aware of. It has given me my life back. I am able to ride bikes, walk 3-5 miles per day, and generally feel normal.again. I hope it keeps working!"

jodin July 18, 2016

For Arrhythmia "Been taking Tikosyn for about a year & a half. I've found that this is a great medicine for me! At this time, Tikosyn IS NOW AVAILABLE IN GENERIC FORM!! So grateful! The worst side effect was "sticker shock"!! In 03/2009, I was placed on Verapamil, Flecainide (Tambocor), Cozaar (Losartan) & warfarin (Coumadin). These did a pretty good job of taking care of things...but it got progressively worse until I really had no choice but to have an ablation. Had hoped that would "do the trick" but no such luck. Still suffer from a-fib occasionally, but it's NOTHING like what it had been before the ablation & switching to Tikosyn. SO grateful it pulls my heartbeat back to normal rhythm! Others didn't! No noticeable side effects. I'm happy!"

cldr (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2016

For Arrhythmia "Am completly satisfied .Have no side effects Absolute positive experience."

sliver fox (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2016

For Arrhythmia "Keeps me in good sinus rhythm must be careful of red wine which can put me temporarily into arythmia but I automatically return to sinus in 24 hrs of so"

George B April 25, 2016

For Arrhythmia "Experienced CHF in 2010 induced by hypothyroidism which I had detected 30 years earlier but doctors couldn't confirm because of outdated TSH standards; also had hypotension & hypoglycemia which were again medically unconfirmed until 2010 CHF with EF of 13%. Defibrillator implanted in 2010. Put on dofetilde in 2014 by new doctors cuz other docs had ignored effects of amiadarone on thyroid med plus amiadarone toxicity. In 2015 had tachycardia of 168, another new doc said dofetilde should have worked, recommended ablation, which was subsequently done. Experienced crippling fatigue, I phased out dofetilde a year later, no arrhythmias, energy returning plus clear thinking. Found ablation effective, dofetilde ineffective plus energy crippling."

Mr Root Beer March 17, 2016

For Arrhythmia "Tikosyn did restore sinus rhythm following unsuccessful cardioversion. As others have mentioned, cost is staggering and hoping for relief at some point. Side effects so far are fatigue and truly annoying headaches."

redboat (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2016

For Arrhythmia "I had the operation and tried all other drugs. For the past 2 years I have been on 500 MG Tikosyn and only go in AFIB for about 2 days every 2 months. Only problem is Tikosyn increases the cost like crazy about twice a month. Sure hope there will be a generic soon"

pingaloco (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2016

For Arrhythmia "Have only been on Tikosyn for five days now (first three while in hospital). Writing this at 2:00 AM, so having some insomnia issues, and slight pain in chest upon deep breaths. First two doses did not cardiovert me, so had cardioversion via paddle, which got me back to sinus rhythm very easily, perhaps because of Tikosyn on board. Had previously gone out of sinus rhythm 19 days after successful ablation, with much post-surgical complications, which is probably why I didn't stay in sinus. Have yet to give this a really good test by exerting myself, maybe too soon yet, so don't know if I'll ever be able to be as active as I was. Other Tikosyn side effects so far - heart rate seems a bit rapid and get winded more easily. Will report back."

Steve in Fremont January 6, 2016

For Arrhythmia "I was diagnosed with chronic A-Fib about three years ago after a dramatic life-threatening episode with an antibiotic that interacted with warfarin & put me in ICU for four days and then three morel for a total bill of $86,000. My cardiologist told me he could do nothing further for me as my case was too risky for ablation since I have emphysema. After a couple of months feeling as if I were on the EDGE, my Primary recommended a Cardiologist at a major university and he put me in the hospital for 4 days and on Tikosyn 500 mg. That as two years ago and I have done well as far as my heart rhythm. He did tell me he was worried about my brain...does Tikosyn affect the brain long term, as in concentration & Dementia. I am 74 & new age spots."

Sugar Pie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2015

For Arrhythmia "In persistent Atrial Fibrillation for five years. Tried a few cardioversions and they lasted a week or so. I wasn't very symptomatic so I lived with it along with Coumadin and then Pradaxa. Had ablation, stayed in sinus for 2 weeks. Couldn't tolerate flecanide. Had another cardioversion and would not convert. Put on Tikosyn and spontaneous normal sinus after one dose and no hint of AF since."

wimawep (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 10, 2015

For Arrhythmia "Update - Now over one year taking Tikosyn (500 ug twice a day) in combination with metoprolol (25 mg, twice a day) Went from 100% persistent atrial fibrillation to 5% occasional episodes. Some side effects (dry mouth, dry eyes, a little fatigue (unless I force myself to be active), but nothing as debilitating as atrial fibrillation. Still highly recommend this therapy!"

Carolina TarHeel (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2014

For Arrhythmia "I had three cardioversions. One last 6 years. Another lasted 1 year and the third one lasted only a week. So, I headed to a hospital in Nashville to explore my options. The new cardiologist suggested a 4th cardioversion, but follow up with Tikosyn. I was afraid of side effects, however I continued on with the plan. After 17 days, I went back into Afib. I decided to stop using caffeine to see if it helped. Within 48 hours of eliminating coffee, I was back in rhythm and have been so since. I have no side affects and my exercise routine has dramatically improved. Very happy with the results so far."

Edwingus123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2014

For Arrhythmia "I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation about 7 years ago. I had 3 unsuccessful abrasions to try to get back into sinus rhythm. Mayo Clinic said it was to risky to do any more. Put me on Tikosyn. I have stayed in rhythm about 99% on the time since."

bmeline55369 July 26, 2014

For Arrhythmia "26 when diagnosed, 3 ablation, at least 50 cardioversions open heart Cox Maiden success. At 37 went on Tikosyn. I live a normal life in sinus rhythm 99 percent of the time. If I had to do all over I would not have had any surgery. However a very nice effect of the Cox Maize is that it nearly eliminated my risk of stroke. Been on Tikosyn for five years with no noticeable side effects."

claf (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2014

For Arrhythmia "In persistent Atrial Fibrillation for 11 months being switched around between various doses and combinations of metoprolol and diltiazem for rate control without success. Converted on second dose of Tikosyn and had absolutely no problems with dosing in hospital other than a little headache on first dose. I never knew how bad I felt in Atrial Fibrillation until normal sinus rhythm restored. Check with your doctor about this medicine. They have a great program to insure safety medicine loading (although three days in the hospital CAN get a little boring!)."

CarolinaTarHeel (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Arrhythmia "Excellent. I was in atrial fibrillation for about 6 weeks. When my electro-physiologist put me in the hospital to monitor me for this medicine, within 2 hours after taking Tikosyn, I returned to normal sinus rhythm. I still go in and out of atrial fibrillation, and will have catheter ablation within the next few weeks."

Davenfl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2012

For Arrhythmia "Diagnosed with atrial fibrillation in 2007. Three electrocardioversions, two ablations, a Medtronic ICD and 1000 mcg a day of Tikosyn and I am in sinus rhythm 99.998% of the time. Before treatment I was in A-Fib for 10 months. My Electrophysiologist prescribed 25mg twice daily of atenolol to help with the pounding heart beat side effect of Tikosyn. I turn 37 in August so my major concern is the long term use of Tikosyn. Its a fairly new medicine and there isn't any research of long term (20 yrs) dosage. So far, so good. It does make me tired, but that is a small price to pay to live without A-Fib."

Russ R July 18, 2012

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Arrhythmia "2 years 7 Months: One A fib at 19 Months. Watch for serious drug interactions. "

Anonymous July 5, 2012

For Arrhythmia "I just got out of the hospital after my second ablation proved unsuccessful and was taken off my previous anti-arhythmic Sotalol which seemed to be less effective for months in its generic form. Anyway, with Tikosyn I noticed a difference in how I felt pretty quickly and am hoping this trend continues. I had been on Betapace for 15 years and have had 4 ICDs/ Pacemakers after being diagnosed with an idiopathic DCM in 1996 and surviving 3 cardiac arrests now. As far as I am concerned, the difference in my heart rhythm and how I feel thus far is the MIRACLE I have been waiting for. It has been years since I felt this good, and someone who is 44 SHOULD be able to feel this good (I was 28 when diagnosed). I think this medicine is definitely worth the risks!"

LisaME April 12, 2012

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Arrhythmia "I have been taking this medication for about 8 months. My skip beats have been significantly reduced. I have not had any fainting spells, and my quality of life has also improved tenfold. My cardio just cut my dose in half because of my kidneys I think. I just hope they don't take me off of it, it has made such a big difference in my life."

Rogerfb January 22, 2012

For Arrhythmia "Tikosyn was started in December of 2009 in a hospital setting. At this time two years later I have not been hospitalized for a atrial fibrillation. It has worked well with no side effects. The only downside is remembering to take it at the right time twice a day."

Anonymous December 4, 2011

For Arrhythmia "I have used Tikosyn since Jan 09 and have had an ablation in late 08. Tikosyn has worked well without any problems. I tried many other drugs with not much success."

Chuck H. November 23, 2011

For Arrhythmia "I have been taking TIKOSYN for 5 weeks. It did not kick in until they did a cardioversion on me. I am still having high blood pressure and high heart rate, as well as skipped beats. I have a rash and itching that is very bothersome. But other than that, I am doing well. I feel good but I just wish my blood pressure and heart rate would go back to normal."

Anonymous September 5, 2011

For Arrhythmia "I have been on Tikosyn for 6 months. The first 4 months were difficult as there were lots of skips and bumps in between episodes of 1-2 per week. Though the times in arrhythmia were getting much shorter. I still feel as though my condition is improving overall as there are not as many symptoms as before I was taking it. Hope it just keeps getting better."

Slopey52 May 25, 2011