User Reviews for Verapamil to treat Arrhythmia

Also known as: Calan SR, Verelan Verelan PM

Verapamil has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings for the treatment of Arrhythmia. 42% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Verapamil Rating Summary

6.2/10 average rating

Compare all 179 medications used in the treatment of Arrhythmia.

Reviews for Verapamil

mknobil February 10, 2009

“Was prescribed 120mg (a low dose I understand) 2 weeks ago for constant arrhythmia. I estimate I now have arrhythmia 30% of the time and the feeling is much less intense. Greatly relieved, although still wonder what triggered this condition. No noticeable side effects yet.”

JMesa April 25, 2011

“Have slow pulse plus atrial fibrillation-since newly diagnosed 2010 have been happy with results.Pulse beating much stronger and regular beat more frequently. My husband takes for high blood pressure and atrial fibrillation and a much higher dose than I take. He has been on it for a long time with excellent results. Beta Blockers and other blood pressure pills did not seem to work for him. All our bodies are different and respond to medication differently, but we are both satisfied.”

Shannen77 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2016

“I am taking this drug for an arrhythmia and have been since July 2016. I didn't even know I had any condition until I passed out and ended in hospital, I am now 39. I have found that I get off balance from doing to much or if walking around for to long i need to take "breaks". The last week I've started getting major headaches, going to Dr this week about those. I am interested in knowing if anyone has continued their usual workouts? Or if they have been on scary rides at theme parks or even rock climbing etc. will be asking Dr if ok etc but I have been so scared to do too much because of this new condition that my life is not the same and I want my life back!!! ”

2young2takeapill · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 28, 2013

Calan SR (verapamil): “I'm on this medicine for heart arrhythmia. I'm 46, my heart does flip flops and super rapid beats per min. Blood pressure sometimes is 180/110. Then it drops to 96/67, that little roller coaster ride makes you ill. I started the Calan SR 180mg tab. It gives me wicked headache in left lobe & fatigue. It hasn't helped my heart from flip flopping or blood pressure from sky rocketing up then down like a yo-yo. However, it does calm my heart down once I have a spell and I take the meds. I generally fall asleep from fatigue. It could be that I haven't taken it long enough for it to start helping the high blood pressure or the irregular heart beat. Perhaps the second month will show improvement. ”

Briz_guy June 24, 2013

“On 180mg slow release Verapamil for idiopathic left ventricular fascicular tachycardia. No episodes for 18 months. Side effects - the occasional feeling of "heart pounding" during physical work and a little constipation. So far very effective for my unusual heart condition.”

Paula 123 · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2017

Isoptin (verapamil): “Not happy at all with this drug. 3 weeks on it and have extreme stomach pain, nausea, palpitations, very dry mouth, light-headedness. Would like to hold out to see if my body becomes adjusted, but can't function like this. My cardiologist is away so I have to find a doctor who can help.”

Monica · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2019

“Been on Verapamil for about 3 weeks. BP in good control and my ankles do not swell as much as the previous medication. I have been having abdo pain since I started the medication. My GP says it is due to constipation. I have never been constipated before. Hope this resolves in the next few weeks. I am going to try prunes.”

Pinky · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2019

“Been on verapamil for 2 months and taking 120mgs 3 times a day, I’m very sweaty and have banging headaches/migraines constantly and my legs have swollen and random orange/red like rashes, still my heartbeat is too fast but hoping it may settle, as it is still early days”

Fini · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2019

“I have been taking Verapamil ER 180mg once daily for arrhythmia for less than a week but my pulse hasn’t gone down below 100. I also have Ankylosing Spondylitis and Pulmonary hypertension. I feel anxious all the time. Could this be a combination of all my health problems?”

healthyhealing July 6, 2016

“I tried verapamil 180mg one a day for just over 8 weeks. After trying Metoprolol, I couldn't the side effects of metoprolol. I didn't feel as many side effects on verapamil but it didn't work for me. Unfortunately heart still beat abnormally. Also blood pressure went up then down on standing.”

fraidodrugs · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 14, 2016

“For A-Fib to reduce risk of stroke I suppose. Much better than Beta Blockers such as Monocor and Metoprolol which I could not tolerate. I do seriously over-heat after any kind of exertion like cutting the grass or going for a long walk. It takes an hour by the fan to cool down after that. 5 years after going on Verapamil I was diagnosed with enlarged Prostate and had to go in for TURP surgery. (Side effect)? I lost interest in sex for the most part. When I forget my slow release pill in the morning, by the afternoon I get the cold sweats. I am fond of my Verapamil.”

RVOT · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2021

“Dose, time, and time are very important . Yes, I mean time and time. Verapamil 240mg ER didn’t work for me it was too strong, but 120 mg ER does. Taking at bedtime didn’t work well for me no idea why, but taking in the morning is better. If I take medicine slightly late like an hour or two I find my heart pounding and fluttering again . For me Verapamil is okay to treat my RVOT. I have been taking it for two months now . So far so good no any sides effects yet. I only had horrible palpitations at first month because 240mg was too strong. It took me a month to find the right does and the right time that work for me. I hope you figure it out faster than me and good luck..”

Little Ben December 13, 2010

“This medicine helped with the fast heart rate but caused impotence. No other side effects were noticed.”

Nana · Taken for 10 years or more November 17, 2020

“When I take my pill once a day I have no problems, but if for any reason I forget to take it or get a refill I will start to have issues that usually land me in the hospital .”

Learn more about Arrhythmia