User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan, Calan SR, Covera-HS, Isoptin, Isoptin IV, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Verelan PM

Learn more about Verapamil.

Verapamil Rating Summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 38 medications used in the treatment of Cluster Headaches.

Reviews for Verapamil to treat Cluster Headaches

"I first experienced cluster headaches when I was 20 years old. Never felt anything as severe in my life. The first experience was pure hell, and unsuccessfully treated. Thankfully they subsided after a month in a half on their own. 3 years later (almost to the day) came round 2. This time, new doctor prescribed verapamil. Virtually made the headaches disappear within 48 hours. Had to stop taking the medications once a week to see if they were gone so I could discontinue the use of the medication. Been through this cycle 4 times now, and verapamil has had the same results each time. Frequency is the same, length of cycle is the same, and pain is the same... But as soon as I get on verapamil, It's almost like not having them at all."

Pavehawk (taken for 10 years or more) July 7, 2016

"Suffered for 4 years in a row from a very strong cluster headache, the doctors prescribed all sorts of medications, from migraine medications to steroids based medications, until I met a brilliant neurologist, who successfully diagnosed my case as Cluster Headache, and after 2 month using Verapamil the headache disappeared for 3 consecutive years, I still suffer from mild attacks every now and then, but it is not comparable in intensity and frequency with my previous state, in brief, Verapamil is magical in healing cluster headache,"

Fisso May 12, 2016

"I have been suffering from Cluster Headaches periodically for the past 3 years. Did some research online and decided to ask my doc for some verapamil. Last Christmas I started taking it just before a holiday party and accidentally found out it also calms my anxiety. I was able to relax, and talk to people like a normal person and actually enjoyed people's company. It was a while since I felt that way in a social situation and I am so glad I came across verapamil."

Cluster headache sufferer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2016

"I've been experiencing Chronic Cluster Headaches since 2005. I had no idea what was going on, and suffered for 3 years untreated and undiagnosed. After some internet sleuthing I was able to tell my doc what was going on. Fast forward to 2016. I take verapamil 180mg er twice a day. This treatment has worked almost without fail, until just recently. In the past I have had to take other meds in combination with the verapamil such as... Topamax, imatrex, magnesium, prednizone, and now lithium. None of these work for me, been having daily headaches again. I now have a sumatriptan injection I take when I feel one coming and it stops it within 10 minutes. I need help, please. "

KY Dan April 24, 2016

"Been having cluster headaches for twelve years. I'm on my forth cycle now. My cycles come about every three years. I tell everybody I know cluster headaches are sooooo painful. Im so blessed to have been prescribed verapamil by the first doctor that was seen by. Verapamil usaully takes 10-14 days to fully work. Im so thankful for all the advice and its good to hear from people understand my pain."

Couther March 6, 2016

"This drug has been a life saver I've managed to keep cycle at bay using 240mg although now have increased to 480mg as had few creeping in. There are side effects but what could be worse than the pain of cluster headaches!! Hugely recommend to sufferers."

Jonas22 February 4, 2016

"I'm a 56 year old male and started having CH at age 18. Treatment is different for men than women as to what works best. I've had the best success with a neuro who fought to get my insurance to approve Oxygen. Breathing 10 milliliters per minute through a mask at the onset of the CH while lying down in the dark breathing slowly in through the nose has worked everytime and without all the side effects of prednisolone, Verapamil and the like. Essential Oils Peppermint rubbed on the temples and back of the neck which for me is the first indication of an onset has proven effective too. Guys are expected to grow out of it in our fifties. I'm still hoping that happens as nobody truly understands the severity of this type of pain."

mstrass (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2015

Verelan (verapamil): "I take the stuff twice a day (sometimes more, depending) and I find it very effective. It takes a few minutes to kick in so as soon as you feel a CH coming on, pop one. It also works as a preventative for CHs; I take one as soon as I wake up. I also take Rizatriptan, which works crazy good but they only prescribe ten pills per month, so use sparingly."

SweeT17 October 14, 2015

"Im 41 years old and suffer from episodic cluster headaches for the last 3 years. First I thought I had Migraines , but the pain was so severe and it returns every year sane day same time for the last 3 years. I was devastated, and did my own research. I'm now on 3x80 mg Verapimil a day and I'm cluster headache free. I do live in Mexico and Verapimil or Verapimilo is available over the counter for 15. 00 pesos 1.00 us $ for 10 pills 80 mg without prescription. Its amazing I tried the lowest dose first. Thank you Verapimil....."

Matthewernst August 7, 2015

"Headaches ceased. None in 6 years. No other changes in diet or habits. This drug saved my life, actually close to suicide on several occasions. Not a great blood pressure drug for me, but willing to endure moderate edema for the sake of headache relief. Had a wise and gifted neurologist."

Zukov August 1, 2015

"Prescribed for high blood pressure. I have heart disease and cluster headaches, back problems. Did not know verapamil was prescribed for cluster headache. Sometime my headaches are in one spot, other times all over. Pray for me."

nubben (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

"My girlfriend asked me if I love her more than anything. I told her that I do love her more than anything but my verapamil!"

var #1 April 6, 2015

"Life saving..10 yrs of dealing with Cluster Migraines then with research on my own and A understanding Dr. Willing to write the prescription..I am now able to function with a normal life. Within 7 days of starting 80 ms x 3 daily no more clusters...Zero !!!! Been on meds 4 months. Excited to enjoy life again!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2015

"Verapamil has transformed my life. I have lived with cluster headaches for 15 years now. The other medicine I can highly recommend is Sumatriptan succinate injections. Self administer via pen injector. During a headache the pain relief these bring me is euphoric, as they seem to switch off the pain within 20-30 seconds."

MisterTee (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 27, 2015

"Was diagnosed with cluster headaches approximately 6 years ago in Canada. Took prednisone to end a couple of cycles, but decided to try verapamil. It works, but I must stress that you must stop drinking any alcohol whatsoever - NONE, don't even smell the bottle (no kidding!) Also, for me, other sure triggers include dark chocolate, white chocolate, but small quantities of milk chocolate are OK. Also, stay away from MSG (monosodium glutamate). Verapamil WILL work, but you have to stay away from triggers to give it a chance! It might take a week or two. I also had to spread it out to 3 times in a day, rather than all in one dose for it to block all headaches at first. Now I'm on 2x120mg and headache-free!"

anubis44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2015

"I was diagnosed with cluster headaches 5 years ago, I have them everyday, I take 480mg of verapamil daily, oxygen, Maxalt wafer, Aspalgen, oxygen, morphine injections. Nothing is helping me so far, my dr is now trialling me on Topamax. I hope this works. My heart goes out to us all that live with this condition. You are not alone."

Anonymous January 19, 2015

"Was diagnosed with chronic Cluster Headaches at the age of 18, was finally put on verapamil and as long as I stick to the schedule of 2x240mg verapamil SR daily (one in morning, one at night) I have gone from 3-5 severe headaches a day to 1 or 2 less severe headaches per week! This medicine makes my life tolerable and livable again. It really is an amazing medicine, I often can't believe how effective it is and I really fear that it might stop working for me one day but 3 years in and still OK."

Omnious58 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2015

"I was prescribed Verapamil a few years ago. I was suffering from uncontrollable cluster headaches and no other medication seemed effective. Once started on Verapamil, using it as a prophylactic medicine against the onset of a cluster headaches, I didn't get any more cluster headaches. This is a wonder medicine to me!"

Ms67GTO (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2015

"I have suffered for three years, at my whits end I too did my own research and after two weeks I am pain free. The bad attacks stopped instantly and the minor ones subsided after about day 7. I feel like I have my life back. I was exhausted for the first week until my body adjusted...but push through people....this medicine saved my life. I can even enjoy a glass of wine now and again!"

DavidfromVanisland December 10, 2014

"I am 29 been suffering since I was 15. I was Diagnosed with chronic cluster headaches until I was about 24. Dr currently has me on verapamil 240mg 2x daily. I've been on for approx 18 months after trying other various methods and well it Works EXCELLENT. I have 1 serious side effect..."I lost my mojo baby" no but for real being 29 and having zero sex drive and impotence problems with my current girlfriend is becoming an issue. I have tried to taper off verapamil but 2-3 days later the headaches come back. Verapamil is the only medication that has worked for me. I am not sure what I should do. Sex vs Clusters. Sad to say but I'd rather not have the headaches."

CJs01125 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2014

"My fiancé started with cluster headaches about six years ago. At first he was misdiagnosed by two doctors. We had to relocate due to work and found the best neurologist at Hershey Medical. He was diagnosed within seconds as having cluster headaches. It was explained that these headaches are usually misdiagnosed. The doctor put him on verapamil 120 ER and sumatriptan nasal along with oxygen. We had to increase to 180 but my fiancé has finally began to live a more normal life. He still gets the episodes but we are learning to adjust his meds as needed. THANK GOD AND HERSHEY MEDICAL"

Suffered too long (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 18, 2014

"I have had chronic cluster headaches for the past 6 years. My doctor tried all the usual meds to no avail. I did my own research and told him about trying Verapamil. I am now cluster-free for the past 7 months! Yes there are side effects (weight gain, sore neck for a couple weeks) but being that I was able to break the cycle at the lowest dosage (80mg 3x/day) I am beyond thrilled!"

Sala (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2014

"Only have 2 doses in right now. Its throwing me outta whack but I sure don't feel any worse than I usually do. Can't wait till I'm pain free."

jamieg75 October 1, 2014

"I have suffered from episodic cluster headaches for almost 50 years. 25 years ago, my doctor prescribed 240mg ER verapamil twice a day as a preventative when an episode began. Excellent results...no headaches unless I drank alcohol or ate chocolate. After about 8 weeks, my episode would be over and I stopped taking the verapamil. Another episode would occur in one to two years, 30 months max. After switching primary care doctors, my new doc suggested taking 240mg slow release verapamil every day to reduce my blood pressure and maybe act as a deterrent to the clusters. It worked...it has now been four years and no recurrence of the headaches. I only hope this goes on forever. My deepest sympathy goes out to anyone who has cluster headaches."

Grafwick (taken for 10 years or more) August 26, 2014

"Began episodic cluster headaches 15 years ago at age 49. 5 years later they became chronic. Suffered terribly for a few years until I was prescribed verapamil 80MG tabs with dose up to 240MG 3X/day. I continually self regulate my dosage to the minimum effective dose; increasing (up to the maximum) when clusters try to break through then slowly cutting back to whatever keeps the clusters away. My normal maintenance dose is about 120MG to 160MG 3X/day. When I have my dose right I get ZERO indication of headaches, not even a hint. I have had no side effects with any dosage of verapamil daily for 9 years but wonder if occasional dizziness may be attributable to the verapamil. Neither slow release verapamil nor Imitrex worked for me."

Anonymous July 29, 2014