User Reviews for Imitrex to treat Cluster Headaches

Imitrex has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 23 ratings for the treatment of Cluster Headaches. 91% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Imitrex Rating Summary

8.7/10 average rating

Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of Cluster Headaches.

Reviews for Imitrex

matthewap0606 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 22, 2021

“I’ve been having cluster headaches for about 5 years! I take the pill form of imitrex I sometimes have to take two of them! The first one seems to take the edge off but after two hours I end up taking another one which eventually gets rid of the awful pain in the eye!! I wish they would work quicker and better but at least it helps!! I have chronic cluster headaches so when there’s a short lived period of no headaches I’m relieved! I’m not tried the other forms of Imitrex but I might mention it to my doctor!”

Chefcasey74 · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 23, 2020

“I use Imitrex to treat my cluster headaches I have episodic clusters. Usually get them once a year for a month or more. I get two to three attacks a day during the cycle. I use Imitrex injections and pills, the injections get rid of the pain in about 10 minutes and the Imitrex pills take about about thirty minutes to work . Don’t know what I would do without them”

Glen4512 April 10, 2018

“I had episodic clusters. Imitrex injections relieved the pain within 10 seconds. Clusters are all gone now.”

John ( Cluster Sufferer 35 yrs ) July 2, 2014

“Imitrex in any form is the Best med for Cluster headaches by far. High flow oxygen at first twinge, and the pill at the onset (even if you think it might hurt) Most effective. You all know how fast they come on. Usually work immediately unless late in a cycle. I too wish you could take more than twice in a 24 hr period. After suffering for almost 20 yrs with no medicine at All. For these crippling things. I have tried all Imitrex types, injections ,pills, nasal sprays. Injections are fast but so very expensive and painful as well. Nasal spray is nauseating for me, the pill form has always worked well if taken at the very BLINK of headache. Because of price and insurance restrictions I would wait to take the medicine. Not anymore.”

ClusterScrewed June 30, 2016

“Words cannot express how grateful I am for this medicine. I have dealt with these crippling headaches since my mid 20's. Now in my mid-30's, I finally happened upon a physician (at a CareNow of all places) who actually listened to me as I told him of the nightmare I face at least three times a day, every day, for months on end, and prescribed Imitrex for me. If taken at the very first sign of an attack, these little beauties (I take the oral) can save you 30 minutes to several hours of unimaginable pain. I cannot recommend enough that my fellow cluster headache sufferers ask their doctor about considering Imitrex. While there's no cure, this is the closest thing I've found so far that at least makes living with these headaches bearable”

June moon May 23, 2014

“Imitrex works very well for my eyeball pain, light and odour, toxic smells, nasal stuffiness that leads to migraines. Migraines. I am sensitive to gluten of all kinds, if I ingest some, I WILL get nasal stuffiness that will lead to a migraine or cluster headaches. Imitrex works in 45 mins, sometimes sleep is needed to take it away. Sometimes I get migraines for a week or so. Sometimes I take it as a last resort, after trying allergy meds, Tylenol or Valium. But Imitrex works for me. I eat very healthy, no breads of any kind, no gluten, very little sugar. I read all labels, eat mostly veges and meat, mostly organic, I'm getting better at that. ”

Debbie42 December 4, 2013

“This is a miracle for me. Cluster headaches would put me out of commission for 2 days. Imitrex gets rid of the intense pain of my eye feeling like it might pop out of my head! The first few times I took it I had side effects of the heavy feeling on my chest and in my muscles after 3x I can take with no side effects. I've only taken it 5x but still working great.”

Lynn Rose Miles June 22, 2014

“I have been using Imitrex since it first came out in the 90's. It was a God send. I've had migraines for 42 years. I get about six migraines a month. Imitrex always works BUT for me I pay a price with stomach aches. Sometimes I refrain from taking Imitrex for fear of the stomach pains.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more June 23, 2012

“I suffered with cluster headaches for about 15 years before finally receiving an Imitrex injection in the hospital ER. My headache was gone within 5-10 minutes, I thought it was a miracle. I do not leave home without it!”

Strick June 14, 2016

“I've suffered from cluster headaches since I was 14 years old I'm 35 now. My last headache was in 2013 shortly after my mother passed. I thought I had out grown the headaches but May of 2016 here I go again going into my second month of having them everyday. I've tried imitrex you name it sometimes painkillers work sometimes they don't but like many other cluster headaches suffers Ive been threw hell.I don't know what do I'm a truck driver and it makes it hard to do my job even after the headache have gone. I just wanted to share my experience”

DsisyInFlorida · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 25, 2015

“Imatrex has helped me 100% with my cluster headaches. Certain foods trigger these painful headaches and even though I know most of the triggers and even though I try to avoid them its impossible to eat and not have at least one or two of these triggers in my food. My doctor tried me on several pain meds for these headaches but nothing worked. The headaches got so bad I was literally pulling my hair out and was thinking about suicide. Then my doctor gave me Imatrex. As long as I know I have access to Imatrex I am fine. I finally went to a wonderful neurologist who has been very patient in trying other meds to work with the Imatrex. I do take the generic of Imatrex.”

trixiesmama5825 April 28, 2013

“I've just started taking Imitrex, the first time I took it, I thought I was getting lock jaw. I was quite worried. I took it again the next day though because it did take care of my headache. Since the first time I took it, the side effects have been minor. Hopefully it stays this way.”

phodge April 24, 2010

“I have suffered from cluster headaches for over 15 years and have tried almost everything offered by hospitals and over the counter. I recently was given Imitrex in a nasal spray by my doctor and as long as your nasal passage is clear I have found that about five to ten minutes after you taste it in your throat the headaches go away. It is the best medicine I have ever come across for cluster headaches and my days and nights are much better because of it.”

Zonie March 31, 2008

“Imitrex is a wonderful drug for us Cluster Heads. I've not been without one on or about my person for the past 17 years. I'm sure that all of us cluster suffers only wish that they would work a lot faster (like the injectitons), but I am sooooo thankful for them in any form. A real "life saver".”

Anonymous January 25, 2010

“I consider Imitrex to be the geatest medicine in the world, at least as far as my health is concerned. I am never without the auto injector. When a chronic headache comes on, I inject myself, 3 to 4 minutes later ... no pain. My muscles are fatigued and I'm somewhat tired for about 30 minutes, but NO PAIN! ... Yes!”

Dmyank April 13, 2010

“Injections are expensive...but they are the only thing that I have found that work for my cluster headaches. Truly a lifesaver. The burning sensation is ugly, but better than the viciousness ripping of my head to pieces.”

BiggTexx June 17, 2011

“Gets rid of my headaches easily but sometimes takes an hour before it works. Taking it on an empty stomach seems to speed up things. The only down side is they are quite expensive even with insurance.”

Scarleezzy · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2016

“Well I was having really bad cluster headaches, I took an imitrex for the first time. With in 15 mins I was projectile vomiting and having bad stomach cramps. The taste stayed in my mouth for hours. My headache has went down some but it was still there.”

TreeSaver3 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 23, 2013

“I suffered for several years before I found a specialist who diagnosed me properly and prescribed this great medicine. ”

mindydear September 6, 2009

“Did not work for chronic cluster headache at all.”

Seeker0000000000000000001 January 28, 2016

“Pain would cease within 15 minutes.”

Anonymous May 15, 2009

“Only thing that works for clusters. Within 15 miniutes pain is gone. Thank Goodness for this medicine. Only wish you could take more than 2 doses in a 24 hour peroid. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 27, 2012

“Imitrex injection is sometimes the only thing that will stop the headache. Even when on Verapamil I can get head bangers that blow through, when this happens Imitrex can be the added push.”

MKE chris May 14, 2011

“Best one for me in the 20 some yrs I've had to deal with them. I've taken 100mg pills all along. ”

Anonymous June 18, 2009