User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity, Zembrace SymTouch

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Sumatriptan Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 38 medications used in the treatment of Cluster Headaches.

Reviews for Sumatriptan to treat Cluster Headaches

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Words cannot express how grateful I am for this medicine. I have dealt with these crippling headaches since my mid 20's. Now in my mid-30's, I finally happened upon a physician (at a CareNow of all places) who actually listened to me as I told him of the nightmare I face at least three times a day, every day, for months on end, and prescribed Imitrex for me. If taken at the very first sign of an attack, these little beauties (I take the oral) can save you 30 minutes to several hours of unimaginable pain. I cannot recommend enough that my fellow cluster headache sufferers ask their doctor about considering Imitrex. While there's no cure, this is the closest thing I've found so far that at least makes living with these headaches bearable"

ClusterScrewed June 30, 2016

"Had these headaches since I was 11. In my 20's did every test scan etc... No explanation. Only help offered was a highly addictive narcotic. I chose to skip it. My life was severely affected- I had headaches when happy, sad, having fun, pms, special occasion, etc.... Everyone knew my headaches were 3+ days of barely functioning. Then my daughter started getting them- game changer for me. Could not let her suffer the same way. Dr prescribed Imitrex (generic). It works for both of us!! We feel like we can live without fear of the next one. She is out of the country for 6 weeks- without this she never could have gone! Our lives are totally different now!"

Mom&kid June 27, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "I've suffered from cluster headaches since I was 14 years old I'm 35 now. My last headache was in 2013 shortly after my mother passed. I thought I had out grown the headaches but May of 2016 here I go again going into my second month of having them everyday. I've tried imitrex you name it sometimes painkillers work sometimes they don't but like many other cluster headaches suffers Ive been threw hell.I don't know what do I'm a truck driver and it makes it hard to do my job even after the headache have gone. I just wanted to share my experience"

Strick June 14, 2016

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan): "Followed the instructions. Two (2) of the shots were defective (Out of 6). One was harmless and did not fire which only cost me $100 for the non performing shot. The other did nothing until it fired accidentally into my eye. Seeking regulatory and legal help."

Suffering from defective proud (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

"I first experienced cluster headaches at age 18 in the spring, several times a day for about a month, just suffered through with OTC pain meds which did nothing. Finally got to see a neurologist in my 30s who was awesome, diagnosed as classic cluster headache, got on verapamil prophilaxis (80mg x3/day) which I take when "shadows" start coming, also oxygen (10-12L/min) for aborting attack. This has been working but if start oxygen too late then attack progresses. I tried sumatriptan injection for the first time when oxygen failed and attack was in full swing, tried sumatryptan injection (6mg s.c.)...amazing, all symptoms were gone within 10minutes!! I will keep trying the oxygen, but will definitely use sumatryptan as back-up!"

headache dad (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Well I was having really bad cluster headaches, I took an imitrex for the first time. With in 15 mins I was projectile vomiting and having bad stomach cramps. The taste stayed in my mouth for hours. My headache has went down some but it was still there."

Scarleezzy (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

"I've suffer from cluster migraine on and off for 10 years. They last about 1-3 hours everyday for 30-40 day and this happens usually once sometimes twice a year. When they first started doctors really didn't tell me much they about then 5 years ago I seen a new doctor he prescribe me Sumatriptan nasal spray it get rid of them in 10-20 min. I can not say enough good things about this drug it's really helped he get on with everyday life"

Brady27 January 29, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Pain would cease within 15 minutes."

Seeker0000000000000000001 January 28, 2016

"Straight at onset injected and pain gone within a matter of minutes. Where have you been all my life!?"

ChrisMani January 26, 2016

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan): "Had clusters 37 years now. I've tried literally EVERYTHING out there. The only thing that works for immediate relief is imitrex injections. If med takes too long (nasal or pill), it simply doesn't work. Gabapentin (sp) regime should be started immediately, they eventually stop the nerve from spasms. Imitrex is now available generic (sumatriptan), however, still expensive. I pay $75/shot only available as a two-pack."

tinawithclusters (taken for 10 years or more) November 14, 2015

"I swear Sumatriptan injections saved my life. My new best friend. I never leave home without them."

crooksnanny (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2015

"Sumatriptan is a life changer. I've suffered from cluster headaches for 24 years having one at least once a week and NOTHING has ever come close to helping. Now I haven't had one in 3 months. I take a pill when I feel a cluster headache coming which successfully aborts it. Even hours into a full blown attack I took a pill and relieved 95% of the pain. Another great thing? My insurance covers it 100%. Even better: it is only $16 for 9 pills (you can break them in half and have 18) without insurance."

Dan D (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2015

"Sumatriptan nasal spray 15 years sufferer 35 y old only got sumatriptan lately and it's working well headaches would last 90 mins to 3 hrs now with the nasal spray 20 mins and its completely gone don't leave home without it now"

Shino September 28, 2015

Imitrex Nasal (sumatriptan): "Works in about 15 minutes for me which is about twice as fast as the pill form. Creates a bad taste but well worth it for the faster speed."

Max Power September 10, 2015

"I've suffered from cluster headaches for the last 3 years since I was diagnosed with a growth on my pineal gland. Nothing worked until I was put under neurology science in York UK. I was put on verapamil tablets and also prednisolone to prevent and sumatriptan as a pain relief when I have an attack. I was close to drilling a hole on the side of my head before I was prescribed these meds. The problem is they are expensive, I am lucky and I have these prescribed under the NHS however they will not prescribe me more than 4 injections per week and sometimes I have these attaches every day sown times twice a day for 2 to 3 weeks. Sumitriptan is the best thing ever invented"

Hudo (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Imatrex has helped me 100% with my cluster headaches. Certain foods trigger these painful headaches and even though I know most of the triggers and even though I try to avoid them its impossible to eat and not have at least one or two of these triggers in my food. My doctor tried me on several pain meds for these headaches but nothing worked. The headaches got so bad I was literally pulling my hair out and was thinking about suicide. Then my doctor gave me Imatrex. As long as I know I have access to Imatrex I am fine. I finally went to a wonderful neurologist who has been very patient in trying other meds to work with the Imatrex. I do take the generic of Imatrex."

DsisyInFlorida (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2015

"I have been a cluster headache suffer for 25 years.....My Dad suffers as well....I remember him sitting in a chair day after day, night after night with no real relief. I never could understand or know how intense the attacks were until I started with mine...lucky my dad was prescribed Imitrex in the 90's at the beginning of mine... his words and mine are that this drug is a god send for us suffers.......My issue is now my insurance company will only approve 2 boxes of shots (4) per month. So my only way is to stock pile these 2 boxes every month until my next attack....well I'm out and now I wiil use coupons or any other way to purchase these on my own to try to save $ ...Sad UHC will not approve the number of shots needed for each episode"

GK - Florida (taken for 10 years or more) March 26, 2015

"I can make the injections last by using only 1/3 a vial per cluster attack. I take the vial out of the auto injector and use a q-tip to press in the amount. After this I wait exactly 9 minutes and the headache is gone. I had a very hard time getting enough injections from my insurance to cover all the cluster headaches I was getting and this method helped me handle 3x more than I could before! I do feel my headache pain jumping from a 3 -> 10 immediately after injection. Taking the 100mg tablets does not cause this increase in pain, but the wait is about 25-30 mins for relief. Sometimes I can tell which headaches to use either the injection or pill for."

dr_darth (taken for 10 years or more) March 12, 2015

"I was recently prescribed Imigran, the European version of Imitrex for Acute Cluster Headache, in the injection form pretty much life changing. I'd previously tried Oral Sumatriptan for Cluster Headaches but that just did not seem effective and once a full blown attack had started the pill did not seem to abort the headache. Injectable Sumatriptan though has proved to be a totally different thing and even when the pain is at its peak, once injected its probably 10 minutes maximum before the headache is gone, totally gone. I've suffered from Cluster Headaches for many years and only wish I'd tried this sooner, for me, it has been just brilliant. Having used it several times now have not had any side effects whatsoever, fantastic."

MartinVG (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2015

"The first time I used the Dosepro, I was leary. Within 10 minutes I was not only relieved of my migraine, but it was the most clear headed I felt in forever. The second dose I took, I was not near my medicine and I had a full blown migraine, so it wasn't as good but a very close second. I love this. Freedom to make plans and not have to worry about cancelling due to migraine. Yeah!"

dezjrrdrs (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2014

"Cluster sufferer"

dmags October 20, 2014

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Imitrex in any form is the Best med for Cluster headaches by far. High flow oxygen at first twinge, and the pill at the onset (even if you think it might hurt) Most effective. You all know how fast they come on. Usually work immediately unless late in a cycle. I too wish you could take more than twice in a 24 hr period. After suffering for almost 20 yrs with no medicine at All. For these crippling things. I have tried all Imitrex types, injections ,pills, nasal sprays. Injections are fast but so very expensive and painful as well. Nasal spray is nauseating for me, the pill form has always worked well if taken at the very BLINK of headache. Because of price and insurance restrictions I would wait to take the medicine. Not anymore."

John ( Cluster Sufferer 35 yrs ) July 2, 2014

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "I have been using Imitrex since it first came out in the 90's. It was a God send. I've had migraines for 42 years. I get about six migraines a month. Imitrex always works BUT for me I pay a price with stomach aches. Sometimes I refrain from taking Imitrex for fear of the stomach pains."

Lynn Rose Miles June 22, 2014

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Imitrex works very well for my eyeball pain, light and odour, toxic smells, nasal stuffiness that leads to migraines. Migraines. I am sensitive to gluten of all kinds, if I ingest some, I WILL get nasal stuffiness that will lead to a migraine or cluster headaches. Imitrex works in 45 mins, sometimes sleep is needed to take it away. Sometimes I get migraines for a week or so. Sometimes I take it as a last resort, after trying allergy meds, Tylenol or Valium. But Imitrex works for me. I eat very healthy, no breads of any kind, no gluten, very little sugar. I read all labels, eat mostly veges and meat, mostly organic, I'm getting better at that. "

June moon May 23, 2014

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "This is a miracle for me. Cluster headaches would put me out of commission for 2 days. Imitrex gets rid of the intense pain of my eye feeling like it might pop out of my head! The first few times I took it I had side effects of the heavy feeling on my chest and in my muscles after 3x I can take with no side effects. I've only taken it 5x but still working great."

Debbie42 December 4, 2013