User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity, Zembrace SymTouch

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Sumatriptan Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Cluster Headaches.

Reviews for Sumatriptan to treat Cluster Headaches

"After suffering with cluster headaches for two years I was prescribed sumatriptan 100mg tablets which were effective if taken on an empty stomach. They got to work in about 20-30min which saved a good hour or so of debilitating pain, so were great. When the next bout hit I asked about the injections as the tablets didn't always work/work quick enough. Doctor agreed and I got Imigran 6mg. Wow. Just wow. Aborts the headache within a couple of minutes of injection (which is simple and easy). They are a lifesaver and I would recommend anybody who suffers cluster headaches to ask your doctor about it. In the UK they're available on NHS; my doctor was hesitant at first as apparently they cost £25 per 2 injection pack. But they are worth it."

Yorkshire89 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with generic imitrex has been bad. It sometimes works, sort of, but a day or so after, I have debilitating muscle aches. It took me a while to make the association, but once I switched back to the real medication, that problem went away."

Beila (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is a comment about my own use, this stuff is a joke because the box only comes with 6 single shot nasal sprays, meanwhile during a cluster period I'll get from 3 to 6 excruciatingly painful Cluster headaches in a 24 hour period. Box will cure Basically 6 headaches, which lasts no more than 3 or 4 days during cluster period and that's while trying to conserve. The problem is most insurance will only pay for 1 box per month which leaves me missing work and banging my head against the wall for the other 25-27 days of the month. I don't know who made this medicine and why they would market it for clusters knowing that when people are in a cluster attack period get up to 6 or 7 "Suicide Headaches" per day. Terrible overall medicine."

Jake33 May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had cluster headaches for about 14 years now, and haven't found any helpful meds until now. Sumatriptan has been extremely helpful for me this cluster period. I use the tablets so it takes about 30 minutes to feel the effects. I take it as soon as I start to feel tension in the head and neck, with the slight onset of a headache. By the time it starts to work, the attack is almost in full force, but once it kicks in the pain immediately subsides and begins to quickly go away. It saves me at least a good hour of the intense, tortuous pain - which also saves me a lot of the side effects of the attacks such as nausea and fatigue. I've found little to no side effects along with the drug, so I'm almost immediately able to function afterwards"

Aquaholic (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I been suffering with Cluster Headaches for over 10 years. I just used the injected form of Sumatripan. The pain was completely gone in 7 mins. Amazing!"

David2016 January 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Relieved migraine and reduced temperature in ,15 minutes first time - has never taken longer than 30 mins to act. Quite impressed with this, worked when codeine and others failed."

GLJ September 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very bad experience/reaction with only half a dose! 1) Did not take away headache. 2) Increase in pain, heavy weight feeling on my chest, shortness of breath, cold sweats. This med was a nightmare for me! I felt immediate pain and pressure in head, neck and shoulders. The worst however was feeling like a one hundred pound weight on my chest. Additionally, nausea and cold sweats and feeling like I was in big trouble (practically and ER trip)! Beware of this med, it may not be for everyone! Will go back to 3 advil and a coke or my fiorocet. Cure is worse than the disease in this case for me!"

jenty9 August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Words cannot express how grateful I am for this medicine. I have dealt with these crippling headaches since my mid 20's. Now in my mid-30's, I finally happened upon a physician (at a CareNow of all places) who actually listened to me as I told him of the nightmare I face at least three times a day, every day, for months on end, and prescribed Imitrex for me. If taken at the very first sign of an attack, these little beauties (I take the oral) can save you 30 minutes to several hours of unimaginable pain. I cannot recommend enough that my fellow cluster headache sufferers ask their doctor about considering Imitrex. While there's no cure, this is the closest thing I've found so far that at least makes living with these headaches bearable"

ClusterScrewed June 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had these headaches since I was 11. In my 20's did every test scan etc... No explanation. Only help offered was a highly addictive narcotic. I chose to skip it. My life was severely affected- I had headaches when happy, sad, having fun, pms, special occasion, etc.... Everyone knew my headaches were 3+ days of barely functioning. Then my daughter started getting them- game changer for me. Could not let her suffer the same way. Dr prescribed Imitrex (generic). It works for both of us!! We feel like we can live without fear of the next one. She is out of the country for 6 weeks- without this she never could have gone! Our lives are totally different now!"

Mom&kid June 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "I've suffered from cluster headaches since I was 14 years old I'm 35 now. My last headache was in 2013 shortly after my mother passed. I thought I had out grown the headaches but May of 2016 here I go again going into my second month of having them everyday. I've tried imitrex you name it sometimes painkillers work sometimes they don't but like many other cluster headaches suffers Ive been threw hell.I don't know what do I'm a truck driver and it makes it hard to do my job even after the headache have gone. I just wanted to share my experience"

Strick June 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan): "Followed the instructions. Two (2) of the shots were defective (Out of 6). One was harmless and did not fire which only cost me $100 for the non performing shot. The other did nothing until it fired accidentally into my eye. Seeking regulatory and legal help."

Suffering from defective proud (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I first experienced cluster headaches at age 18 in the spring, several times a day for about a month, just suffered through with OTC pain meds which did nothing. Finally got to see a neurologist in my 30s who was awesome, diagnosed as classic cluster headache, got on verapamil prophilaxis (80mg x3/day) which I take when "shadows" start coming, also oxygen (10-12L/min) for aborting attack. This has been working but if start oxygen too late then attack progresses. I tried sumatriptan injection for the first time when oxygen failed and attack was in full swing, tried sumatryptan injection (6mg s.c.)...amazing, all symptoms were gone within 10minutes!! I will keep trying the oxygen, but will definitely use sumatryptan as back-up!"

headache dad (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Well I was having really bad cluster headaches, I took an imitrex for the first time. With in 15 mins I was projectile vomiting and having bad stomach cramps. The taste stayed in my mouth for hours. My headache has went down some but it was still there."

Scarleezzy (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffer from cluster migraine on and off for 10 years. They last about 1-3 hours everyday for 30-40 day and this happens usually once sometimes twice a year. When they first started doctors really didn't tell me much they about then 5 years ago I seen a new doctor he prescribe me Sumatriptan nasal spray it get rid of them in 10-20 min. I can not say enough good things about this drug it's really helped he get on with everyday life"

Brady27 January 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Pain would cease within 15 minutes."

Seeker0000000000000000001 January 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Straight at onset injected and pain gone within a matter of minutes. Where have you been all my life!?"

ChrisMani January 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan): "Had clusters 37 years now. I've tried literally EVERYTHING out there. The only thing that works for immediate relief is imitrex injections. If med takes too long (nasal or pill), it simply doesn't work. Gabapentin (sp) regime should be started immediately, they eventually stop the nerve from spasms. Imitrex is now available generic (sumatriptan), however, still expensive. I pay $75/shot only available as a two-pack."

tinawithclusters (taken for 10 years or more) November 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I swear Sumatriptan injections saved my life. My new best friend. I never leave home without them."

crooksnanny (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Sumatriptan is a life changer. I've suffered from cluster headaches for 24 years having one at least once a week and NOTHING has ever come close to helping. Now I haven't had one in 3 months. I take a pill when I feel a cluster headache coming which successfully aborts it. Even hours into a full blown attack I took a pill and relieved 95% of the pain. Another great thing? My insurance covers it 100%. Even better: it is only $16 for 9 pills (you can break them in half and have 18) without insurance."

Dan D (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Sumatriptan nasal spray 15 years sufferer 35 y old only got sumatriptan lately and it's working well headaches would last 90 mins to 3 hrs now with the nasal spray 20 mins and its completely gone don't leave home without it now"

Shino September 28, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex Nasal (sumatriptan): "Works in about 15 minutes for me which is about twice as fast as the pill form. Creates a bad taste but well worth it for the faster speed."

Max Power September 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered from cluster headaches for the last 3 years since I was diagnosed with a growth on my pineal gland. Nothing worked until I was put under neurology science in York UK. I was put on verapamil tablets and also prednisolone to prevent and sumatriptan as a pain relief when I have an attack. I was close to drilling a hole on the side of my head before I was prescribed these meds. The problem is they are expensive, I am lucky and I have these prescribed under the NHS however they will not prescribe me more than 4 injections per week and sometimes I have these attaches every day sown times twice a day for 2 to 3 weeks. Sumitriptan is the best thing ever invented"

Hudo (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Imitrex (sumatriptan): "Imatrex has helped me 100% with my cluster headaches. Certain foods trigger these painful headaches and even though I know most of the triggers and even though I try to avoid them its impossible to eat and not have at least one or two of these triggers in my food. My doctor tried me on several pain meds for these headaches but nothing worked. The headaches got so bad I was literally pulling my hair out and was thinking about suicide. Then my doctor gave me Imatrex. As long as I know I have access to Imatrex I am fine. I finally went to a wonderful neurologist who has been very patient in trying other meds to work with the Imatrex. I do take the generic of Imatrex."

DsisyInFlorida (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been a cluster headache suffer for 25 years.....My Dad suffers as well....I remember him sitting in a chair day after day, night after night with no real relief. I never could understand or know how intense the attacks were until I started with mine...lucky my dad was prescribed Imitrex in the 90's at the beginning of mine... his words and mine are that this drug is a god send for us suffers.......My issue is now my insurance company will only approve 2 boxes of shots (4) per month. So my only way is to stock pile these 2 boxes every month until my next attack....well I'm out and now I wiil use coupons or any other way to purchase these on my own to try to save $ ...Sad UHC will not approve the number of shots needed for each episode"

GK - Florida (taken for 10 years or more) March 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can make the injections last by using only 1/3 a vial per cluster attack. I take the vial out of the auto injector and use a q-tip to press in the amount. After this I wait exactly 9 minutes and the headache is gone. I had a very hard time getting enough injections from my insurance to cover all the cluster headaches I was getting and this method helped me handle 3x more than I could before! I do feel my headache pain jumping from a 3 -> 10 immediately after injection. Taking the 100mg tablets does not cause this increase in pain, but the wait is about 25-30 mins for relief. Sometimes I can tell which headaches to use either the injection or pill for."

dr_darth (taken for 10 years or more) March 12, 2015