User Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Also known as: Periactin

Learn more about Cyproheptadine.

Cyproheptadine Rating Summary

9.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Anorexia.

Reviews for Cyproheptadine to treat Anorexia

"I've always been quite underweight and absolutely hated it, tried this years ago and quit a few pills in due to the tiredness caused. Gave it another shot 6 weeks ago and have gained a stone already (usually impossible!). I've been taking one a day which is a low dose and my appetite has easily doubled. I used to feel full half way through a meal and feel anxious going out for food in case I couldn't finish it. Definitely not a problem anymore. I've given it a 10 as it has made such a huge impact on my self esteem already, and unexpectedly resolved what I believe to be urticaria over night. The only downside is the tiredness; makes getting to sleep nice and easy but waking up is so difficult! Long way to go still, but very happy so far :)"

Lobster1800 July 5, 2016

"I was put on this a few years ago and I was so happy to gain weight. I am almost 32 yo, I have 9 children, 5'6 and only weight 104 lbs. I am going back on it. I want to look like a woman, not a child. My oldest son was mistaken as my boyfriend. I was so embarrassed."

bargo9 June 28, 2016

"I started taking these pills January 2016 I was a 112 pounds my height is 5 5 my age of 33 it is now June 8th 2016 and I weigh a 148 pounds. I am so excited these pills really do work if you're looking to gain weight I take my pills 3 times a day with a multivitamin"

Steph1983 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2016

"I've been thin my whole life and it didn't really bother me until High School never had an appetite to eat anything at all and I started to think something's wrong with me. I took plenty of blood tests and urine tests to see if there was anything wrong with me and 3 different doctors told me I am fine but I felt like deep down something was wrong so I decided to keep trying different doctors to see if anyone can help me and the 4th doctor i went to about this issue in july 2015 changed my life literally I explained my problem and he told me it sounds like anorexia and he prescribed cyproheptadine. This is the best thing that's ever happened to me thnx Dr Greenburg lol P.S to eliminate drowsiness I let it dissolve in orange juice"

javijav (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 1, 2016

"Hi everybody! I am the stalker who reads post for my own benefit, but rarely contribute. Today I decided it was time to give back in the form of sharing my experience. I have ALWAYS been a hard gainer. I've had four kids and still maintained a size zero (93lbs) weight at 5'1. After fighting to gain weight for the last two years I was up to 108lbs. Fast forward after having the flu followed by new braces which limited eating, I ended up 96lbs and fragile looking. I tried to gain it back but since I was a hard gainer I couldn't. Went to my doctor, got these pills after reading posts and gained 11lbs in ten days. From 96lbs on 5/1/16 to 107lbs on 5/11/16. Drowsy days 1-2 only. Now no sleepiness and mega apettite. 4mgs three times per day."

Gingerbee (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2016

Periactin (cyproheptadine): "I. Take this medicine everytime I have a poor appetite and it works wonders! I have always striggled with gaining and maintaining weight all my life! Got teased a lot! I have gained as much as 35 pounds in a month and a half! I recently just started back taking due to foot surgery and being on narcotic pain pills that stripped my appetite! The great thing about them is the weight and appetite stays even once you stop taking thrm! Highly recommemd"

mrsellis221 May 18, 2016

Periactin (cyproheptadine): "Really WOW! I've taken this "Periactin / Ciptadine / Cyproheptadine" and I managed to gain 20kg in 2 months! I was skinny, 57kg and I'm now 77 kg! I can take it when my weight drops a bit and it works wonders. Really, if you struggle to gain weight or appetite, try this tab. It's unbelieveable!"

Doufa (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016

Periactin (cyproheptadine): "It is phenomenal !! I put on weight fast, you start to see and feel results so quickly !!! It's very motivating feeling !! I have gained 14 pounds so far since late March early April ...I'm 5"6, I started at 146, I am now 160, my goal weight is 175. I think that will give me the full figured , curvy look I want. If you're serious about your weight this is the solution !! Good luck !!"

CareyBeary (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2016

"I just started the pill on 5/6/2016 im 5/7 and weight 98 pounds this will be a real life changing experience for me at 23 if I can go up to atleast 110 within a month wish me luck guys :)"

slimk (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

Periactin (cyproheptadine): "This medication is PHENOMENAL!! I'm 11 and I was only about 81 pounds, which was a problem for me. But then my doctor prescribed me with this pill and it totally changed my life!!! In about 4 weeks I was 90 pounds... I was so happy!!! I definitely recommend this pill if you are trying to gain weight. Although it will make you sleepy it's still very helpful because I do have trouble going to sleep at night!!! I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS PILL, AND IT HAS DEFINITELY CHANGED MY LIFE!!!! "

Minnie45 April 24, 2016

"1 - My 11 yo was placed on this to "increase her appitite". Guess what? It's hard to eat when your sleeping all the time. 10mg, 1st day I gave it to her on Friday she slept for 18 hours! For 1 week, I was scared to give it to her before school. So I restarted her by cutting it in half and after 5 days, I gave her the whole 10mg. Today I got THE CALL from her Teacher. She is telling her friends she wants to DIE!!! PILLS ARE IN THE TRASH CAN!"

TexasChris (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

Periactin (cyproheptadine): "I have been Underweight in my life. I was searching any kind of Magical trick to gain some weight even i purchased Oral steroids Just to get rid of Skinny structure,Finally I read about Tablet Periactin. But again there was a Problem that Tablet Periactin is not available in many Countries Its UK Brand Medicine require valid Prescription. Then i went to a doctor get prescription and Order this pills . Point to be noted( In Ist few days you will only sleepy roughly ist 5-7 doses if you taking 4 mg /Day. But you will Clearly see difference in your appetite. This Pill is Tailore made for Weight Gain. Absolutely worked So I far I took 12 Tablets It means 1 Tablet/Day and Gained 4 KG weight."

dloverspc (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

Periactin (cyproheptadine): "Hey Everybody, Im a hard gainer - i have always struggled putting on weight and even struggled to ever feel hungry. Ive been taking Periactin for 6 weeks now and i can happily say for the first time in my life ive put on weight! I've put on exactly 6kgs; so it appears i gain about a kg a week which im completely excited about - doesn't sound a lot to most people but any hard gainers out there will know what im talking about :) Give it a go - its worth it :)"

Miscy (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2016

Periactin (cyproheptadine): "I was 9st 4lb wanted to put some Weight on tried calorie drinks and and eating more but you can't eat more if you're not hungry did research found these pills doctor had never heard of them but prescribed me 3 months of pills 3 a day I took 1 felt shattered so I take half a tablet a day no side effects and now 10st 6lbs in 7 months feeling lot better just give your body time to get used to them"

Paul jo March 4, 2016

"I heard about this cyproheptadine 4mg pill in 2003, but no doctor would prescribed for me until now, I'm 5'2 and weighing 113 on and off. So I asked a new doctor for it and yes he prescribed it. I started 2/11/2016 at 113 now it 2/16/2016 weighing 120 I'm so happy. I was sleepy at first but it gets better over a week so not bad now. I love this pill!"

Kgoodall2017 (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2016

"I was prescribed this medicine because I have weight issues, I can gain weight but I lose it fast. So my friend told me years ago about it , so I told my doctor . I took it on February 10th, I was 113 now it's Monday the 15 I'm 119. So yes it does work and I'm also over the sleepiness. I love it no bloated gut at all ."

Kgoodall2016 February 16, 2016

"I started taking Apetamin syrup which is the generic brand for Periactin. It contains the same ingredient -cyproheptadine- which stimulates your appetite. I couldn't find it in stores so I ordered it on Amazon for 17.00 and it arrived in 2 days. I'm 4'11 and I've always been small and had a hard time gaining weight except during my pregnancies. This stuff works!!! I have been eating everything in sight and for the first time I'm able to finish my entire meal. I started taking this on Jan. 31 2016 at 95 lbs by the time I weighed myself on Feb 10 I had gained 7 lbs. I couldn't believe it. I knew my clothes felt tighter and looked better on me but I was not expecting a 7 lb gain so fast. My goal is 120 lbs :) BW= 95lbs CW=102lbs GW=120"

Mocha_ February 11, 2016

"I have struggled for years to keep weight on, I am 5'2" and was 96lbs. None of my clothes have ever looked good on me....People just don't feel sympathy for people that struggle to gain weight. It's always about diets and losing weight. My appetite was terrible and I would have to force myself to eat....my doctor prescribed this medication a week ago and I have gained 10lbs so far. Cannot wait to see what I look like in two weeks! I will finally be able to wear adult women's clothes and have them fit!"

funnylittlehoney (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2016

Periactin (cyproheptadine): "On periactin (cyproheptadine) pills 3X pr day since 11/22/15 since then I have gained 22 pounds as of 12/13/15. These pills work wonders for people with poor appetite and eating habit. Being small most of my life I never thought it was possible for me to get over 110 pounds but these pills had me eating whole cakes in one day lol I'm so serious I eat two big macs instead of one with extra mac sauce lol, just everything and a lot of it. I'm lovin the way this 132 looks on me at 5t 3in..."

TIffi3 December 14, 2015

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have always struggled to gain weight until my dr prescribed me this. It took only a few days to get over the sleepiness but it was worth it. After 2 months I gained about 12 lbs. I only took 1/2-1 pill daily the first month. After I noticed a plateau in weight gain I started to up my dose at 2 pills a day. So far I'm continuing to gain and hope to gain more."

theeeeeothermommm December 5, 2015

"Every time I loose weight I'll take these for about two months gives you good appetite the only side effects is sleepyness for bout a week but great pills"

Ashley Elam November 14, 2015

Periactin (cyproheptadine): "Was very under weight for my age. Started taking these to help with it and be healthier. I was 102 and I went to 158 in about 2 months. It's been almost a year and I chose to lose some of the weight and I'm down 8 lbs but weight still here. I have a lot of curves now. Side effects is sleepiness but I started cutting my pills in half and that helped a lot. I would take half a pill every 2 hours taking 2 pills a day and then cut back to one whole a day after weight started coming on fast."

Khantrell October 16, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Periactin (cyproheptadine): "Asked my doc for prescription 5 weeks ago. I was shocked when I weighed myself. First month I gained 16 pounds. I had two kids both one year apart. Started losing weight like crazy. Too busy to eat. Well, it keeps you hungry. However, if you go out and buy protein bars and the weight gain shakes, they help fill you up. Ensure is good too. Also on depot so not sure which one makes me crave sweets. I'm suppose to be 150 I'm solid about 5'8. Went down to 118 within weeks. Perfect health just no appetite. The shakes are easy to make and buy some already cooked meals and lots of snacks. I thought my stomach was going to eat itself. I do recommend taking an allergy pill with drowsy affects at bedtime a week before you start. 140 last check"

JustNeededHelp October 4, 2015

"Started taking 2 pills a day. Im 6'4" and only 110 pounds. Took this for 2 months and the only thing that happened was me falling asleep constantly during class. Hurt my grades and did absolutely nothing to my appetite,"

JayWilsan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2015

"My 17-year-old son was 5'8" and 106 pounds. In less than three months, he has increased his weight to 125! He looks amazing. Prescription was for 3x a day, but the weight gain he has achieved has been with 1 to 2 pills per day. We are both very happy with the results."

BonkersMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2015