User Reviews for Cyproheptadine to treat Migraine

Cyproheptadine has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 33 ratings for the treatment of Migraine. 52% of those users who reviewed Cyproheptadine reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Cyproheptadine Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 130 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Lacey · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2020

“20 weeks pregnant and started getting a ton of migraines over night. Neurologist gave me this prescription. It did significantly help keep away the migraines but the side effects are horrible. Now I'm in withdrawal trying to wean off. I wish the Dr. had given me a clearer picture of what being on this drug is like. Restless legs at night. Heavy chest during the day. Get out of breath. Feel like I ran a marathon. I gained a ton of weight! No, not because I'm pregnant. I would prefer medicating migraines over taking this drug daily.”

Mamma January 25, 2020

“My 8 yr old daughter was prescribed this medication for migraines. It has done wonders for her migraines and she has gone from 4 attacks a week to none! Unfortunately, she is gaining an average of a pound a week. She is very active in basketball, 4/h, softball, running, and country living but is still gaining. She has been on the meds for 2 1/2 months and gained 10 lbs. We are going to try a different medication as we are concerned about the weight gain which appears to be mostly fat.”

Pickiest · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2019

“At first when I started taking cyproheptadine for really bad headaches and felt really sick then as I continue taking it my body got accustom to it. I was about 138lb and gained up to 147lb in like 2 months I was shocked.....”

Anonymous September 18, 2009

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “This medication has virtually eliminated my 12 year old son's (almost daily) migraine headaches. He has had no significant side effects and it has greatly increased his quality of life and ability to succeed in school.”

Poorlittlemigrainegirl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 5, 2014

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “My neurologist put me on 4x4mg Periactin at night as a preventative for chronic migraine. I was aware of the weight gain possibility & started running & yoga. I slowly gained 5kg in 5 months. Upon noticing this, I tried even harder. With time & dedication, I was able to exercise & eat my way back down to my normal skinny weight. When I'm hit with a carb craving (which is pretty often) I eat 30mg of a healthy carb (such as a 2 inch chunk of carrot). It satisfies perfectly as long as you havent consumed a protein in the last 2 hrs. Do not turn to fatty carbs. The drowsiness also wore off in the first week. I am the healthiest & best version of myself, thanks to migraines. Choose not to be a victim. I now run charity marathons & have kept my career.”

Happy Mama · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2015

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “My teenage daughter suffered with debilitating migraines that became daily over a 1 year period. She was finally diagnosed with Chiari 1 Malformation. She tried Topamax for almost a year & Elevil for a month, along with Rizatriptan & Ketaprofen. NOTHING helped until Periactin. She was practically a part of our couch and kept our living room like a dungeon. She cried on a daily basis and could barely go to school. Now she is a normal teen and can even play sports! She rarely gets a headache and it goes away with rest. This is 2 months of 2 pills a day (the lowest dose). She does have a greater appetite, but I have her drink more water and limit her food intake. She stays on a schedule taking her doses, one with breakfast and one by 9 p.m.”

Liza_S July 26, 2013

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “I was prescribed 4 mg 3x a day. I asked my PCP for a prescription for this after doing some research myself. I never did see clear dosage guidelines so my Dr put me on the dose for allergies because use for migraines its off lable. I started it at 4 mg at night and had to go home sick (sleepy) from work the next day! So be very cautious when starting this medicine. I then started taking only 2mg each night and it has worked wonderfully. I had a migraine everyday for about 6 months before trying this and now not one for Months. I feel like I have my life back.”

rooroomama · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 29, 2013

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “My child was diagnosed with cluster migraines when he was only 3.5 yrs old. This is very unusual. We refused to put him on anti-seizure medicines, which the Dr. said has the side effect of helping migraines. Instead we opted for Cyproheptadine and it has worked wonders and improved his quality of life by 100 fold. Yes, have to watch that weight gain but otherwise it has been a miracle.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2012

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “Stopped 95% of my migraines. I found my migraines were related to allergies to egg and dairy - I think a lot of people don't check for this. Anyway, Periactin has been amazing, can make you a bit hungry at night but who cares. Try it if your Dr says it's for you.”

Buffers · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 15, 2018

“I was getting migraines and I could not find anything to control them. My allergist recommended this drug. It has been a life saver! Yes, I have read what other people has said about it, but I would make a suggestion - as my doctor told me. It does make you sleepy - so you take it only at night before you go to bed. I wake up fully refreshed. I have been taking this medicine for over two years and have gained NO weight . If you suffer from migraines, I highly suggest you try this. I might have had 1 migraine attack in the past year. I would say that it works very well.”

scullyuma September 27, 2015

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “Cluster migraines made my life a misery. New doctor, new approach, and with Periactin of 5 x 4mg at night has changed my life. Yes, be careful with the weight gain, and the sleepiness abated after two weeks. Some strange dreams as well.”

Birddog44 April 16, 2014

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “My 4 year old was diagnosed with migraines (3-4 per month with vomiting and other symptoms). Given Periactin. Has had quite an increase in appetite and thus weight gain. It's difficult as a parent to balance the weight gain and social issues with that. Will try going off Periactin in summer per Neurologist. Hopefully the migraines will stay away and she will be able to lose some of the weight.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 26, 2013

“I have been taking this since I was about seven years old to fight off the migraines I was experiencing, almost daily, that would send me home from school. My doctor prescribed this to me, and almost 10 years later my migraines are practically gone. Now and again I'll feel the sensation of a headache coming on, and I still take it to fend them off. The only thing is it causes me to become drowsy, and often puts me to sleep sometimes. I've learned to take it after my meals in the evenings because of this, so I'll wake up refreshed in the morning.”

Anonymous October 24, 2010

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “I was prescribed Periactin to help contain severe migraines and have found it very effective. After taking two tablets a day for a week, I thought that maybe my migraines had been cured and stopped taking them- unfortunately, my headache came back within about 1 and a half days. I am now taking regular doses again and have not had a single headache to complain of, however the increased appetite is an unfortunate side effect.”

Owie Bear · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2016

“Prescribed this for my four year olds presumed migraines (vomiting, light sensitivity) MRI revealed a chiari malformation. It has helped tremendously. He still suffers an occasional headache but they are fewer and farther between. The increased appetite has been a blessing. He was losing a lot of weight due to another condition and has since stabilized.”

Jeaneem · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2012

“My 7 year old son has had these severe headaches, now believed to be migraines, since he was 3. With time the headaches have become almost daily. One month to the day. My son has had only 1 headache!! He has gained weight though, which for him was ok because he was so so skinny.”

RedSchist · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2016

“It got prescribed this when I started getting horrible headaches almost daily. I was told to take it two times daily, once in the morning and once at night. It gave me more headaches, at least an aura without pain. I had increased blind spots in my vision. As well as it made me extremely tired. Stopped taking it.”

Anonymous April 9, 2012

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “I was pregnant, I had to stop taking Relpax (at 2 x a month) for migraines and I made notes and found I had horrible pain 20 out of 30 days in the month. For 2 months I suffered and my ob referred me to my neuro who referred to my ob and no one would help me. A new neuro put me on Periactin 4mg once a day. I started it on -I think day 2 of what usually is a 3 day migraine and it stopped. I had only a faint sensation of a headache. ”

Not for me.... · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 6, 2017

“My doctor swapped me onto this medicine because I was getting married and hoping to have a more "baby friendly" medicine in case I got pregnant in the near future. On cyproheptadine, I felt like the medicine took some of the edge off my chronic migraines. The intensity lessened, but I saw no significant change in migraine frequency. I was taking 12mg per day. But oh, the side effects! First, I felt this perpetual restless agitation. Second, I was hungry absolutely all the time. I have a great deal of self-control and was able to keep things at bay for a while, but my weight kept creeping up. In 6 months, I gained 15 lbs (my normal, very stable weight is 120lbs, so this was a lot for me). Eventually decided this one wasn't for me.”

Pots · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 3, 2018

“I was diagnosed with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) a month after I had turned 13. I was 70lbs (obviously underweight) and prescribed cyproheptadine for both weight gain and migraines. It helped a little with migraines but I was still suffering from them most days, and in addition I gained 100lbs by the time I was turned 14. I got off the drug after about a year and lost 50lbs in 2 months taking me back to a healthy weight for my build. I think I was on it far too long and it did far too little for my migraines, and while it helped me gain weight, I was miserable. I was never not hungry and would eat enough groceries in a night that would sustain a normal person for 3-4 days.”

Mom3376 June 29, 2016

“My son has had migraines for years but they only got worse the older he got. The day before the last day of school last year he had such a bad migraine that he had a seizure. Fast forward to the neurologist appointment and she decided to put him on this medication before trying a medication for seizures that she said would help the migraines also. He took this medicine every day in the mornings (it did not make him sleepy at all) for 11 months. He gained 40-45 pounds and the medication stopped working for him. He got the daith piercing and is off the medication now. Migraine free for 3 weeks which is amazing for him! So, it didn't last for migraines for my son.”

amylynn1dlove · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 30, 2014

“when I was in 3rd grade I was diagnosed with Migraines sometimes the medicine doesn't help I fell lightheaded a lot, dizzy, and tired when I am in school when I get them my teachers just deal with it or no you don't have a headache go sit down, or even they say you are just trying to avoid doing your stuff. which am not.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2012

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “I have a awful case of migraines therefore my doctor prescribed me Periactin. I noticed a mood change and a huge weight gain of 40lbs within 2 months. It stopped working for my migraines after a week and then was prescribed Topamax. ”

ellied03 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2017

“I was prescribed this in July of 2017 and now it’s October of 2017 and I have gained 35 pounds from this. On top of that it has done next to nothing for my migraines. Just a word of warning if you have issues losing weight or have issues gaining too much then this will be your enemy. ( it is used by people who need to increase their weight)”

Reads Labels etc. · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2013

Periactin (cyproheptadine): “Cautiously wanted to try at low dose first. However, first time I needed it, I happened to be at migraine treatment center (at a hospital). We agreed this was the safest circumstances to try something new. Within a half-hour, I pressed nurse call-button: had trouble keeping my eyes open! Minutes later: unintended sleep. Dosage too high &/or interaction with recent dose of Toradol? (Toradol makes me sleep a few *hours* later - which is why I was at hospital.) Have not yet tried it again. Would try 1/4 of dose next time - & not near time frame of Toradol - & not when alone. No other side-effects. No way to judge effectiveness. Primary goal if first trial is "can I tolerate this?" Second trial is to find out if dose is enough for effectiveness.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 19, 2018

“My daughter, age 9, was having 3 to 4 migraines a week for over a year so her neurologist put her on this medication. It has helped tremendously! She has MAYBE 1 or 2 a month now. We are now weening her off of it hoping her migraines don't come back full swing. She does seem to be more tired since she started taking it but it did not interfere with her daily life. Her appetite did increase but this wasn't an issue for her because she struggles to gain weight. She has gained about 5 pounds in the 6 months she's been taking it.”

AshleyF · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 7, 2015

“I have been taking this for around three years now and I found that for the first year I was headache free. On my second year I was occasionally getting heads like 2 or 3 a month. Then after my third year of being on the medicine it seemed as though I was taking nothing to help with migranes. I have now been getting up 10 migranes at different times per day. I went to see my neurologist and he said I'm having uncontrolled migranes and he put me on Topamax so I guess I will see how that goes.”

Anonymous November 15, 2011

“Tried this for my six year old son for migraines. Reduced the migraines almost in half, then we doubled those dose. It than caused restlessness, he went four days without sleeping. We have now gone back to the first dosage and are thinking about stopping it altogether.”

Learn more about Migraine