User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, Benadryl Children's Allergy, Benahist-10, Benahist-50, Benoject-50, Buckley's Bedtime, Bydramine, Calm-Aid, Complete Allergy Relief, Compoz Nighttime Sleep Aid, ConRx Allergy, Dicopanol, Diphedryl, Diphen, Diphen AF, Diphen Cough, Diphenadryl, Diphendryl, Diphenhist, Diphenmax, Diphenydramine Quick Melt, Diphenyl, Diphenylin, Dormin, DPH, Dytan, Dytuss, Genahist, Help I Can't Sleep, Histaprin, Hydramine, Hydramine Compound, Hydramine Cough Syrup, Hyrexin, Miles Nervine, Nervine, Nightime Sleepaid, Nu-Med, Nytol, Nytol Caplet, Nytol QuickCaps, Pardryl, PediaCare Children's Allergy, Pharbedryl, Q-Dryl, Q-Dryl A/F, Quenalin, Scot-Tussin Allergy, Siladryl, Siladryl Allergy, Siladryl DAS, Siladyl SA, Silphen Cough, Simply Sleep, Sleep, Sleep Tab II, Sleep Tabs, Sleep-ettes, Sleep-ettes D, Sleep-Eze-3, Sleepinal, Sleepwell 2-nite, Snooze Fast, Sominex, Sominex Maximum Strength Caplet, Somnicaps, Theraflu Thin Strips Multi Symptom, Total Allergy, Tranquil Nighttime Sleep Aid, Triaminic Thin Strips Allergy, Triaminic Thin Strips Cough & Runny Nose, Trux-adryl, Truxadryl, Tusstat, Twilite, Uni-Tann, Unisom Liquid, Unisom SleepGels, Unisom SleepMelts, Unisom SleepMinis, Valu-Dryl, Vanamine PD, Vicks QlearQuil Nighttime Allergy Relief, Z-Sleep, ZzzQuil …show all brand names

Diphenhydramine Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 105 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Diphenhydramine to treat Insomnia

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I imagine that a lot of people reading this will have had a similar experience to me. You might not have slept last night, or the night before - and you're frantically looking for a solution to help you sleep. It's a vicious cycle and it's one of the worst feelings. I personally think that Sominex is worth a shot. I cannot go to sleep without something to help me. I only take half a Sominex tablet about an hour before bed. It's just enough to take the edge off, stop that anxiety cycle and allow me to drift off. You can feel it in the morning. Ever so slightly for the first hour or so. But after a coffee and a shower it's gone. This stuff has allowed me to restore a normal sleep cycle and I can actually function well in life and at work now. Stop panicking and relax - you will sleep again. I hope this is helpful to someone."

mrphla May 31, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "sominex gave me terrible heart palpitations wont be using them again. They're now in the bin"

suzy (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I slept like a log last night and always do what I take this particular sleeping aid. But the side-effects is I feel groggy in the morning. I took it whilst on holiday and my friends said I seemed like a different person, not really with it! I question that something so affective and strong hasn’t got its counter negative points! "

Rosebud (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2018

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine): "This stuff doesn't work at all"

Anonymous April 16, 2018

Nytol (diphenhydramine): "I took one to help with sleep during a stressful project and so did my partner. I had the most horrendous nightmares of people committing suicide. Never again I thought. I mentioned to my partner and he had exactly the same experience. I very rarely if ever have bad dreams. This drug is natural Valerian root which I researched online afterwards and there is a lot of similar experiences reported. But the side effect is not mentioned in the notes with the drug. Its not a great experience. I'd recommend avoiding it completely."

Joe (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "Seemed to work the first day but then with week long use started to make me nauseous and have a very upset stomach. I took it an hour before bed and only made me feel like I was sick with allergies which is odd."

Mandii (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

"I suffer with frequent insomnia "patches", and didn't want to take a more addictive drug like temazepam, so my dr prescribed diphenhydramine. Works really well, I feel myself getting drowsy within 15 minutes and generally stay asleep all Night! Could do without the oversleeping and drowsy feeling the day after but it could be worse"

AnaRC91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "For the first couple days it worked like a charm, but after a while I guess I grew a tolerance for it? Good if you have occasional sleeplessness. "

andyonanon (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2018

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine): "I decided to try Zzzquil for my insomnia. I was hoping it would lull me to sleep. Didn’t work for me. All it did was make me feel very relaxed. It was a similar feeling as if you took a mild dose of a benzo. Helped me stay asleep but not fall asleep."

blondieeee (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2017

"I suffer with chronic insomnia and I tried several OTC sleep aids and finally came across NYTOL EXTRA STRENGTH CAPLETS. I break it in half and take 1/2 nightly and am asleep within the hour. I will still sometimes get up at night to pee but am able to fall right back asleep. I awake feeling refreshed and not drowsy or anything like the other sleep aids left me. I was concerned about taking them nightly and spoke to my doc who said he would rather I take the NYTOL as opposed to a sleeping pill prescription. He said NYTOL was just Benedryl and wouldn't hurt me. I have been taking NYTOL nightly for almost 2 years now and am so glad to have found it!"

Sunseekersam59 September 24, 2017

Nytol (diphenhydramine): "I took these every night for a week after struggling with insomnia, hate the groggy feeling sleeping tablets give you the next day so thought I'd give these ago. Worked perfectly with no side effects. Went away for the weekend and forgot to take them with me. First night, didn't sleep at all, second night finally drifted off sometime after 7.30am and was woke at 9.45, last night got about an hour to 2 hours. Was absolutely done in, got home and that night took a nytol and slept like a baby. My fear is can I survive without these tablets now. Hopefully they keep working so I don't need too."

Singy (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine): "I have used ZzzQuil off and on for a year or so to help me fall asleep. I have noticed that on the nights that I take it (1/2 dose) the next day I experience head shaking tremors that I have to consciously control, especially when I drive. I will no longer take this medication as I am concerned about the side-effect."

lashoani (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "Certainly helps me to sleep. But first time I slept for about 12 hours which meant that I slept badly the following night. I now take 3/4 of the tablet for a solid 8 hours. I suggest trying 1/2 or 3/4 your first time The first half hour or so on waking leaves me groggy, then I'm fine. Also seems to help me sleep really well the following night. I use only occasionally."

Motoguzzibob (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 3, 2017

"I take this to help me sleep every now and then, however the last 2 times I've been having weird and slightly creepy visual and auditory hallucinations, it's almost like I'm having an incredibly realistic dream while I'm completely conscious and full functionable! But other than that it knocks me right out"

Bethanyb123 (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "I have extreme insomnia and I've taken everything that's is suppose to help you sleep since I was 14yrs old. Please see a professional for your insomnia because OTC sleep aids don't work most of time n you can do damage to ur internal organs by taking more n more. Lunesta BEST EVER!"

AMHNLM July 22, 2017

"It is not a true sleep drug like prescription z drugs or benzodiazapines. It can cause tiredness and thus help initiate sleep, but it's not very powerful in this regard. The effect is decent in those who have not used it much. Tolerance builds quickly. If you have not used it, it may work well, but after a few nights it will likely lose most effect."

Steve Packard (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017

Nytol (diphenhydramine): "Did not seem to work Felt tired the next day"

Ford C Max July 7, 2017

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "Garbage .. Don't waste your $$$.. Took as directed at 11pm and still tossing and turning at 1:22am.. Buyer beware .. A total waste ."

STILL SLEEPLESS (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "At first I thought I found the perfect drug, I slept finally! But the side effects for are pretty much there. (Dizzy, blurred vision, strange emotions, anxiety) and after every use they are getting stronger."

Quir June 21, 2017

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I have been using sominex for a long time, I asked GP about it and he would rather I take it than prescribing me sleeping tabs, it works well for me, I take it at least an hour before bed, fall asleep easily and can still wake up for the bathroom and go straight back to sleep, feel fine on waking with no after effects, a great over the counter product."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2017

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine): "I usually work a 10 hr shift in the afternoon but my boss has changed my Saturday shift to 5am-1pm. We live on a farm and have 3 outside dogs that like to bark at night. The first morning shift I only got 2 hrs sleep because of our dogs. I purchased Zzquill to get some help falling asleep the night before my morning shifts. I took the recommended dose (2pills) at 8pm. I went to bed at 8:30. I didn't feel any effect from the medication until almost 10:30!! And then I woke up again at 12:30am! I do not recommend Zzquill if you want to fall asleep quickly and stay asleep."

LAG768 May 27, 2017

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine): "Gave me rapid heart beats !!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2017

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I believe this is the strongest non prescription sleeping aid that you can take. This works really well for me on the few occasions that I need it, within about 10 minutes of taking it, I fall asleep and stay so for longer than I normally would without it. You can even try 1/2 or 1/4 tablet if you don't want to take a whole one. . Definitely recommend this!"

Agg67 March 19, 2017

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "There are no side effects. It works well."

Kimgu March 15, 2017

"I have occasional sleeping problems such linked to stress, such as not being able to fall asleep for around 2 to 5 hours or waking up in the middle of night and not being able to fall asleep afterwards. Someone recommended me to try Nustasium (diphenhydramine). It kicked in after 30 minutes to 1 hour I took it and it helped me sleep without waking up till morning for as many as 8-9 hours. However I felt dizzy and sleepy in the mornings. And in cases when I slept more than 8 hours like at the weekend I felt very weak and dizzy the whole day. Might be good for occasional use when I know I need long hours of sleep as with it I don't wake up early, but certainly not for continuous use, at least for me."

Perchuhi Jan Jan (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017