User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, ...show all 96 brand names

Learn more about Diphenhydramine.

Diphenhydramine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Diphenhydramine to treat Insomnia

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I believe this is the strongest non prescription sleeping aid that you can take. This works really well for me on the few occasions that I need it, within about 10 minutes of taking it, I fall asleep and stay so for longer than I normally would without it. You can even try 1/2 or 1/4 tablet if you don't want to take a whole one. . Definitely recommend this!"

Agg67 March 19, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "There are no side effects. It works well."

Kimgu March 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have occasional sleeping problems such linked to stress, such as not being able to fall asleep for around 2 to 5 hours or waking up in the middle of night and not being able to fall asleep afterwards. Someone recommended me to try Nustasium (diphenhydramine). It kicked in after 30 minutes to 1 hour I took it and it helped me sleep without waking up till morning for as many as 8-9 hours. However I felt dizzy and sleepy in the mornings. And in cases when I slept more than 8 hours like at the weekend I felt very weak and dizzy the whole day. Might be good for occasional use when I know I need long hours of sleep as with it I don't wake up early, but certainly not for continuous use, at least for me."

Perchuhi Jan Jan (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have sleep apnea but can't stand a mask on me, and without drugs I wake up constantly by stopping to breath. I take 75 mg of diph. an hour before I want to go to sleep, have a couple puffs of indica (night time pot,) ( it's legal here) and it works like a charm, I stay asleep for 5 or 6 hrs which is a long time for me, little groggy when I wake up but it goes away after a couple puffs of sativa (day time pot) I've been a toker for 49 yrs, it's good for a lot of uses. I am 66 My doctor says he agrees that pot is easier on the body and mind than prescription drugs for anxiety, insomnia, depression, pain,and loss of appetite. They make edibles, gum, etc for those that hate smoke."

All nighter (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I have never had a problem with going to sleep at night, but I bought some Sominex at the airport the other day in order to help me sleep in a 9 hour flight, and now for the past few days I have had severe insomnia. Nothing else my routine has changed, but now I am up all through the night, tired all day, and still can't sleep at night. I regret making the mistake of using this product."

Tonedeft December 7, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I work night shift and I use OTC diphenhydramine to get sleep during the day. It works so much better than the Ambien I was on. I don't wake up and sleep eat like I did while on Ambien."

Alois (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 20, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "does absolutely nothing. I took 2, then 2 more a few hours later"

Hollibird August 4, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nytol (diphenhydramine): "Awoke with banging headache similar to a whisky hangover!Not good..."

Painfulgirl August 1, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine): "I tried using it, took two pills (Recommended dosage) and 20 minutes later, I'm tired. And it lasts for all of 30 minutes... can't fal asleep, then I'm wide awake again."

Doesn't matter June 10, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "obscurity.... hard to differentiate between being asleep and being awake...... very uncomfortable..... lost in a fog..... dreams tended to meld into a version of reality but not .... will not ever take unisom again ... not sure if it was a reaction I only"

fuck off June 10, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I split the tablets into 6 portions and I sleep well but I am very groggy the next morning and find it very hard to wake up. I stay sleepy and tired almost all day long. I feel very uncomfortable driving to work in the morning because I am so groggy."

mirabenira (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Tried this to see if it was any better than doxylamine...It wasn't, in fact I found that it hardly makes me tired at all. I took 50mg, which is supposed to be equivalent to 25mg of doxylamine, but I found that for me the doxylamine was better. I guess everyone is different, though considering that doxylamine has a higher rating, I guess I'm not the only one who thinks it's better."

Chronic Insomniac (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"take for sleep"

erjaejhrgpifuvngdfbsrt March 19, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I have used Sominex for YEARS and I absolutely love it!!! I am NEVER groggy in the morning. It allows me to sleep, then if I have to go to the bathroom during the night, I am able to go back to sleep. I take it generally every night. When I have spoken to various doctors over the years, they have never seemed concerned about my long term use. Nothing else works quite like it, and it definitely improves my quality of life as I simply cannot function if I don't get enough sleep. I usually have to order it online because it is not always stocked at the stores that I go to. Hope this helps. Sweet Dreams. :)"

Stevie Lou February 20, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "Takes a while to get to sleep but once asleep that's how I stay. However I have found that it still effects me the next day. .....extremely groggy and exhausted. Not for me ."

Banshees February 12, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Works quite well on insomnia but careful when combining with other meds that also work on your sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system. I took it with lexapro and got significant problems with too low heart rate, respiratory issues and hypnic jerks."

avalokiteshwara (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "This medication works well if taken as directed for your insomnia and for no longer than about 1 month. I began taking 1-50mg twice a week which worked very well but I continued to increase the dosage every 2 weeks. It did make me tired enough to fall right to sleep after about 45 minutes of taking it and with no drowsiness the following morning. "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take diphenhydramine in Ibuprofen PM to help me sleep, though I only take one pill and not more often than every third or fourth night. It works like a charm, enabling me to sleep without needing to get up and pee or waking up with my life concerns preventing a return to sleep, for 6-7 hours. My concern is whether it is habit-forming, whether taking this drug for sleep on some nights increases the difficulty I have in falling asleep without the drug, on other nights."

Steveplant January 14, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine): "I purchased the zzzquil and it did not work not 1 bit , I would not recommended medication to anyone..."

BABYGIRL001 January 13, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "Tried this after my new Dr took me off of Ambien that I'd been on for 3 1/2 years by a sleep Dr for my insomnia, I can stay wide awake for up to 48 hours & then if I do fall asleep only get between 2-6 hours of sleep. New Dr thinks I'm depressed BUT I'm far from that & keeps wanting to put me on depression medicine!! Called sleep Dr back in Iowa to tell new Dr here in Louisiana that I have insomnia which she did BUT new Dr doesn't believe sleep specialist!!"

Angeljennings (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2015

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine): "I have mixed feelings about this.. the first night I took it, it took about 1 and a half hours to kick in, and when it did my husband said I was acting like I was seriously drunk...which I remember very little of. I do remember it making me crazy itchy, and feeling like my skin was crawling. But, once I got in to bed, I knocked out and slept great and felt great in the morning. However, I took it last night around 930pm, and was up ALL night... I have to be up at 445a for work, and I fell asleep about 330 and just now feel like it's effects are kicking in. I may end up leaving work early because I feel so awful and tired. I dont know that I will take this again."

MissBrie November 30, 2015

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Diphenhydramine is an extremely effective sleep aid. It takes half an hour or less for 25 mg to knock me out. The biggest problem I have with diphenhydramine is that it makes me feel kinda' groggy and nauseous the next day. I feel like I'm walking around in some weird twilight and food just doesn't taste good to me. Still, out of the three sleeping pills I've tried, diphenhydramine is by far the most effective. Ambien made me feel like I was on a roller coaster and melatonin mainly makes me fall asleep a little faster."

FoxyFinn (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Nytol (diphenhydramine): "I have had problems sleeping lately. Someone recommend me to use these pill and they actually are really good. I have used them twice in a row and have slept well and even woke up when alarm came on."

Sanny1508 October 18, 2015

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"took 100mg to fall asleep and slept walked in the middle of the night!!! I took a bottle of lotion out of the BATHROOM cabinet, and I must have watered it down and shook it up bc it was liquid the next day and sitting by my REFRIGERATOR!! wtf!! I have no memory of this.. and the next day I was anxious and depressed all over the place emotionally"

Anonymous October 14, 2015

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I dosed myself to sleep through the night for four nights in a row worked perfectly but when I stopped taking it I immediately started having post nasal drip (a lot of snot nonstop for two or three days). I also have hypertension"

mark187 September 25, 2015