User Reviews for Diphenhydramine to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Benadryl, Banophen, Benadryl Allergy, ZzzQuil, Benadryl Children's Allergy, Diphen, Unisom SleepGels, Diphenhist, Sominex, Unisom SleepMelts, Nytol, Calm-Aid, Compoz Nighttime Sleep Aid, Sleepinal, Siladryl Allergy, Pharbedryl, Dormin, Diphedryl, Allergia-C, Hydramine, Diphenylin, Allermax, Sleep-ettes D, Diphenydramine Quick Melt, Snooze Fast, Sominex Maximum Strength Caplet, Unisom SleepMinis, Unisom Liquid, ConRx Allergy, Dicopanol, Buckley's Bedtime, Hyrexin, Hydramine Cough Syrup, Bydramine, Diphen AF, Diphen Cough, DPH, Aler-Dryl, Benahist-10, Benahist-50, Benoject-50, Diphenadryl, Genahist, Aller-G-Time, Sleep Tab II, Nytol QuickCaps, Trux-adryl, Valu-Dryl, Diphenyl, Altaryl, Beldin, Belix, Vicks QlearQuil Nighttime Allergy Relief, Silphen Cough, Hydramine Compound, Nytol Caplet Help I Can't Sleep Diphendryl Twilite Banaril Aler-Tab Diphenmax Ben-Tann Dytan Vanamine PD Histaprin Z-Sleep Simply Sleep Complete Allergy Relief Dytuss Miles Nervine Scot-Tussin Allergy Sleepwell 2-nite …show all brand names

Diphenhydramine has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 255 ratings for the treatment of Insomnia. 37% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 48% reported a negative effect.

Diphenhydramine Rating Summary

4.9/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Diphenhydramine

mrphla May 31, 2018

Sominex (diphenhydramine): “I imagine that a lot of people reading this will have had a similar experience to me. You might not have slept last night, or the night before - and you're frantically looking for a solution to help you sleep. It's a vicious cycle and it's one of the worst feelings. I personally think that Sominex is worth a shot. I cannot go to sleep without something to help me. I only take half a Sominex tablet about an hour before bed. It's just enough to take the edge off, stop that anxiety cycle and allow me to drift off. You can feel it in the morning. Ever so slightly for the first hour or so. But after a coffee and a shower it's gone. This stuff has allowed me to restore a normal sleep cycle and I can actually function well in life and at work now. Stop panicking and relax - you will sleep again. I hope this is helpful to someone.”

C April 30, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “I tried Nytol 50mg for the first time to ease insomnia but so far all it has done is keep me wide awake through the night with uncomfortable headache, dry mouth & throat, and leg pains. I should have just taken a chance with the usually three hours sleep. Taking Nytol is such a waste and a horrible experience.”

Kbert · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 21, 2020

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “My friend recommended these said she had 2 and had the best night sleep ever... I've been struggling getting in to a sleep where I'm not thinking all the time. So thought I would try these... I'm normally in bed by 9 and in the thinking/worrying light sleep. So tonight again before 9 I've taken 2, its now 1am and I'm absolutely wide awake listening to both my husband and my dog in the deepest of sleeps. Both snoring husband grinding his teeth and swinging his legs. I honest can't believe just how awake I am. I have never been like this feel like I need to go out for a night on the town..... I dread the morning when I gotta go to work who knows when I will finally sleep.”

Wideawake · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2020

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “It is now 0220 am, having taken a Nytol tablet at 2215. This is the sixth night I have taken one, so I have given it a good go. I started taking them because I wake frequently during the night and have restless legs, but the Nytol has made things worse. Tonight I haven't slept at all.”

Caz March 11, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “Nytol.. Where do I begin. If I could give less than 1 I would. By far the worst thing I ever tried. I suffer from mild insomnia. Takes a long time for me to fall asleep and then wake most nights 3-4 times zapping in and out of light sleep. Decided to try these as my mum swears by them. Took an hour before bed as suggested. About 2 hours later, still awake, the restless legs started. Never suffered with this before. It lasted until 4.30am..never have I been so frustrated trying to sleep. Tried again the second night.. WORSE! waste of money don't bother.”

Sleepishell · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “I have been using Nytol for 7 days and its has not worked at all. I suffer from chronic insomnia. Apparently this product is clinically proven to help sleep? Really??? I noticed nothing other than a fuzzy head and dry mouth and I have been awake all night the same as usual. Sick of people saying they have something that helps, when it is rubbish. The only thing that has worked for me have been prescription meds.”

Stevie Lou February 20, 2016

Sominex (diphenhydramine): “I have used Sominex for YEARS and I absolutely love it!!! I am NEVER groggy in the morning. It allows me to sleep, then if I have to go to the bathroom during the night, I am able to go back to sleep. I take it generally every night. When I have spoken to various doctors over the years, they have never seemed concerned about my long term use. Nothing else works quite like it, and it definitely improves my quality of life as I simply cannot function if I don't get enough sleep. I usually have to order it online because it is not always stocked at the stores that I go to. Hope this helps. Sweet Dreams. :)”

Las · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2020

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “I’m nothing if not fair, I tried Nytol twice and on both occasions I actually didn’t sleep at all either night. This is unusual for me, I at least get some sleep but literally on both occasions up all night. Have binned the rest of the pack. Useless product, waste of money, made my condition worse, if I could give a minus rating, I would.”

Debj September 5, 2020

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “So awful! I never have an issue going to sleep - I just wake too early. I took these as I had a long journey the next day. I was awake till 3.50am really restless, and buzzing! Felt like I was wired on coffee! Woke feeling exhausted and just terrible! They have the opposite effect - I’m throwing the rest in the bin, and now have to drive for three hours feeling so awful!”

Anny · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2020

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “I had been suffering from insomnia and restless legs so the Docor gave me a weeks course of sleeping tablets, which obviously worked brilliantly. When they were gone I went back to no sleep all night once again, so tried Nytol as a last resort. I have taken two an hour before I want to sleep, for two days now and they have absolutely done the trick, I'm surprised to be honest because most of the reviews are so poor! They make me feel relaxed then before I know it I'm asleep, its wonderful, I did have a slight headache the next day, but no dry mouth and only very minor drowsiness in the morning. I highly recommend them, and I'm so glad to have found something that works.”

Neil March 23, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “I took nytol for the first after months of a lack of sleep and always feeling tired. Worse thing I could have tried. Seems this acts as a stimulant for me cause I couldn’t sleep all night and was wide awake tossing and turning. Now I’m even more tired. Won’t be trying them again”

562Peterson19 · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2014

Sominex (diphenhydramine): “After I was in a severe car accident 8 years ago I've had chronic back pain and muscle spasms which has made it very hard to sleep. I am in the medical field and have tried lots of over the counter medicines and have also been prescribed medication however since taking Sominex I have been able to sleep through the night and I don't wake up groggy! Love it!”

EDD · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “First off I read the instructions on the box which says 2 things! Firstly you can take one an hour before you go to bed (mistake) as it won't work that fast and your even more awake cause your waiting for the effects!! Now the second point they make is much more advisable where you take one probably around I would say 6pm as it gives your body much more time to acclimatize to the product. For me I only took one just before I went to bed but it's much more a delayed reaction so I found that I was quite groggy the next day (mistake). So it definitely works and I had a few funny dreams but who cares? Probably try not to lay in bed too much when night becomes day and get your self into a good pattern as you will be trying to over compensate with nytol”

Joanna · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “I have trouble falling asleep. Took this medication as recommended by pharmacy. Had terrible side effects. It made me feel like throwing up, gave me horrific nightmares, made my hands feel numb, I was left disorientated and genuinely had me thinking that life was over. Maybe it works for other people, but for me was more harmful.”

Anonymous April 14, 2012

Sominex (diphenhydramine): “As a former bartender, I'm a night owl by nature. Now that I'm in law school and have 8am classes, I can't afford to be up all night. It ruins my entire next day because I cannot think and I am useless. Also, lack of sleep depresses me and gives me anxiety. Anyhow, I have tried literally everything under the sun- Ambien, Sleepy time, Valerian, melatonin, Simply sleep, and 4-5 others, both natural and not, and Sominex is the only one that has ever consistently worked to not only put me to sleep, but KEEP me asleep, on most nights. Occasionally I'll have an off night when I wake up mid-sleep or when I'm super groggy in the morning, but at least 90% of the time it works great. I usually take it about 1-2.5 hours before I want to fall asleep.”

Levi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 25, 2020

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “I take Nytol on nights I really can't get to sleep. My experience is that they don't work very fast, but when they do I sleep pretty soundly. Unfortunately, the result in the morning is that I feel like I have a hangover, and I often sleep through my alarms.”

JoAnna · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine): “Have had insomnia for over a week now. My melatonin and valerian root stopped working (even though I gave myself a week holiday). Tried the ZZZquil last night and laid there for 3.5 hours before dozing off, then awake and tossing and turning every few minutes until morning. Did not work for me at all. Just made insomnia worse by making me feel nuts all night.”

Abiblical · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 21, 2021

Sominex (diphenhydramine): “I have used Sominex on and off for 2 years due to anxiety and night sweats (I am 48 year old female maybe hormones are playing up here...). If I don't take it I wake up after 3 or 4 hours and then hardly sleep. When I do take it I sleep for 6 hours then wake up but only for 10 or so mins and am able to go back to sleep getting 8-10 hours overall. I feel so much more rested. It's a life saver. My GP told me it's fine to carry on if it helps. Highly recommend.”

Cyp · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2021

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “Have trouble getting to sleep and then wake and can’t get back to sleep. Tried Nytol, followed the instructions exactly and am wide awake at 3am, having gone to bed at 11 and not been able to sleep. Worse off than when I don’t take anything. Complete waste of money!”

Bluebell · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2020

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “I bought these Nytol from Boots and the man behind the counter the pharmacist didn't even ask me any questions. They do work but I have anxiety and a history of panic attacks. These made me panic because I was going off to sleep but because I knew it was from the tablet I panicked and felt out of control. I felt shaky and had two panic attacks. These make you feel very strange in a way that isn't nice. That normal internal chatter you have in your head is cut off so you are relaxed but feel disconnected with yourself they make you feel drowsy and not alert. Also gave me diarrhea. So overall horrible experience.”

Sue · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2019

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “I took the tablets at 11pm and am typing this at 3.19am. They seem to have had the opposite effect on me and are keeping me awake. It usually takes me about an hour to get off to sleep, and then I'm up several times in the night, so I thought I would give them a go, but I'm wide awake and feel absolutely alert. Needless to say, I won't be taking any more of them.”

GsdFan · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2019

Sominex (diphenhydramine): “I took 1/2 a Sominex pill because it was my first time taking this drug. It took more than an hour to make me sleepy. Once I fell asleep I slept 10 hours without interruption or dreams, but I felt horrible for more than 24 hrs afterward. It was hard to wake up (even after 10 hrs of sleep) and all day afterward I felt groggy and inexplicably angry and cranky. My limbs felt heavy and I was just so very tired all day...the kind of extreme fatigue you feel with the flu. This drug is way worse than having a bad night of sleep...and I only took 1/2 a pill! I'll never take this again.”

Silas Longshot · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2020

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine): “This stuff is one of those products where 'works great' or is total junk, depending on how the ingredients work with the individual taking the stuff. For me, it might as well been a shot of espresso coffee, one or two gummies either way, I'm awake for 90% of the night”

M1k3 March 6, 2008

Sominex (diphenhydramine): “Sominex is a great mild sedative. Although it does have a bit fo a hangover effect in the morning, this typically only lasts an hour or so. I've been taking this stuff nightly for about a week and it's the best over the counter stuff you can get for sleep.”

Leo · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2020

Nytol (diphenhydramine): “Worked well for me . You have to be tired anyway , so get some exercise , cut some caffeine , and take a nytol. Maybe they won’t knock you out like a Valium or other , but they give you a gentle push in the right direction. Once you get to sleep you remain asleep . Well I did anyway .”

Learn more about Insomnia