User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, ...show all 97 brand names

Learn more about Diphenhydramine.

Diphenhydramine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Diphenhydramine to treat Insomnia

"It is not a true sleep drug like prescription z drugs or benzodiazapines. It can cause tiredness and thus help initiate sleep, but it's not very powerful in this regard. The effect is decent in those who have not used it much. Tolerance builds quickly. If you have not used it, it may work well, but after a few nights it will likely lose most effect."

Steve Packard (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nytol (diphenhydramine): "Did not seem to work Felt tired the next day"

Ford C Max July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "Garbage .. Don't waste your $$$.. Took as directed at 11pm and still tossing and turning at 1:22am.. Buyer beware .. A total waste ."

STILL SLEEPLESS (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "At first I thought I found the perfect drug, I slept finally! But the side effects for are pretty much there. (Dizzy, blurred vision, strange emotions, anxiety) and after every use they are getting stronger."

Quir June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I have been using sominex for a long time, I asked GP about it and he would rather I take it than prescribing me sleeping tabs, it works well for me, I take it at least an hour before bed, fall asleep easily and can still wake up for the bathroom and go straight back to sleep, feel fine on waking with no after effects, a great over the counter product."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine): "I usually work a 10 hr shift in the afternoon but my boss has changed my Saturday shift to 5am-1pm. We live on a farm and have 3 outside dogs that like to bark at night. The first morning shift I only got 2 hrs sleep because of our dogs. I purchased Zzquill to get some help falling asleep the night before my morning shifts. I took the recommended dose (2pills) at 8pm. I went to bed at 8:30. I didn't feel any effect from the medication until almost 10:30!! And then I woke up again at 12:30am! I do not recommend Zzquill if you want to fall asleep quickly and stay asleep."

LAG768 May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine): "Gave me rapid heart beats !!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I believe this is the strongest non prescription sleeping aid that you can take. This works really well for me on the few occasions that I need it, within about 10 minutes of taking it, I fall asleep and stay so for longer than I normally would without it. You can even try 1/2 or 1/4 tablet if you don't want to take a whole one. . Definitely recommend this!"

Agg67 March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "There are no side effects. It works well."

Kimgu March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have occasional sleeping problems such linked to stress, such as not being able to fall asleep for around 2 to 5 hours or waking up in the middle of night and not being able to fall asleep afterwards. Someone recommended me to try Nustasium (diphenhydramine). It kicked in after 30 minutes to 1 hour I took it and it helped me sleep without waking up till morning for as many as 8-9 hours. However I felt dizzy and sleepy in the mornings. And in cases when I slept more than 8 hours like at the weekend I felt very weak and dizzy the whole day. Might be good for occasional use when I know I need long hours of sleep as with it I don't wake up early, but certainly not for continuous use, at least for me."

Perchuhi Jan Jan (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have sleep apnea but can't stand a mask on me, and without drugs I wake up constantly by stopping to breath. I take 75 mg of diph. an hour before I want to go to sleep, have a couple puffs of indica (night time pot,) ( it's legal here) and it works like a charm, I stay asleep for 5 or 6 hrs which is a long time for me, little groggy when I wake up but it goes away after a couple puffs of sativa (day time pot) I've been a toker for 49 yrs, it's good for a lot of uses. I am 66 My doctor says he agrees that pot is easier on the body and mind than prescription drugs for anxiety, insomnia, depression, pain,and loss of appetite. They make edibles, gum, etc for those that hate smoke."

All nighter (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I have never had a problem with going to sleep at night, but I bought some Sominex at the airport the other day in order to help me sleep in a 9 hour flight, and now for the past few days I have had severe insomnia. Nothing else my routine has changed, but now I am up all through the night, tired all day, and still can't sleep at night. I regret making the mistake of using this product."

Tonedeft December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I work night shift and I use OTC diphenhydramine to get sleep during the day. It works so much better than the Ambien I was on. I don't wake up and sleep eat like I did while on Ambien."

Alois (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "does absolutely nothing. I took 2, then 2 more a few hours later"

Hollibird August 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nytol (diphenhydramine): "Awoke with banging headache similar to a whisky hangover!Not good..."

Painfulgirl August 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine): "I tried using it, took two pills (Recommended dosage) and 20 minutes later, I'm tired. And it lasts for all of 30 minutes... can't fal asleep, then I'm wide awake again."

Doesn't matter June 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "obscurity.... hard to differentiate between being asleep and being awake...... very uncomfortable..... lost in a fog..... dreams tended to meld into a version of reality but not .... will not ever take unisom again ... not sure if it was a reaction I only"

fuck off June 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I split the tablets into 6 portions and I sleep well but I am very groggy the next morning and find it very hard to wake up. I stay sleepy and tired almost all day long. I feel very uncomfortable driving to work in the morning because I am so groggy."

mirabenira (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried this to see if it was any better than doxylamine...It wasn't, in fact I found that it hardly makes me tired at all. I took 50mg, which is supposed to be equivalent to 25mg of doxylamine, but I found that for me the doxylamine was better. I guess everyone is different, though considering that doxylamine has a higher rating, I guess I'm not the only one who thinks it's better."

Chronic Insomniac (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"take for sleep"

erjaejhrgpifuvngdfbsrt March 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I have used Sominex for YEARS and I absolutely love it!!! I am NEVER groggy in the morning. It allows me to sleep, then if I have to go to the bathroom during the night, I am able to go back to sleep. I take it generally every night. When I have spoken to various doctors over the years, they have never seemed concerned about my long term use. Nothing else works quite like it, and it definitely improves my quality of life as I simply cannot function if I don't get enough sleep. I usually have to order it online because it is not always stocked at the stores that I go to. Hope this helps. Sweet Dreams. :)"

Stevie Lou February 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "Takes a while to get to sleep but once asleep that's how I stay. However I have found that it still effects me the next day. .....extremely groggy and exhausted. Not for me ."

Banshees February 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works quite well on insomnia but careful when combining with other meds that also work on your sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system. I took it with lexapro and got significant problems with too low heart rate, respiratory issues and hypnic jerks."

avalokiteshwara (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "This medication works well if taken as directed for your insomnia and for no longer than about 1 month. I began taking 1-50mg twice a week which worked very well but I continued to increase the dosage every 2 weeks. It did make me tired enough to fall right to sleep after about 45 minutes of taking it and with no drowsiness the following morning. "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take diphenhydramine in Ibuprofen PM to help me sleep, though I only take one pill and not more often than every third or fourth night. It works like a charm, enabling me to sleep without needing to get up and pee or waking up with my life concerns preventing a return to sleep, for 6-7 hours. My concern is whether it is habit-forming, whether taking this drug for sleep on some nights increases the difficulty I have in falling asleep without the drug, on other nights."

Steveplant January 14, 2016