User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, ...show all 96 brand names

Learn more about Diphenhydramine.

Diphenhydramine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Diphenhydramine to treat Insomnia

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "does absolutely nothing. I took 2, then 2 more a few hours later"

Hollibird August 4, 2016

Nytol (diphenhydramine): "Awoke with banging headache similar to a whisky hangover!Not good..."

Painfulgirl August 1, 2016

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine): "I tried using it, took two pills (Recommended dosage) and 20 minutes later, I'm tired. And it lasts for all of 30 minutes... can't fal asleep, then I'm wide awake again."

Doesn't matter June 10, 2016

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "obscurity.... hard to differentiate between being asleep and being awake...... very uncomfortable..... lost in a fog..... dreams tended to meld into a version of reality but not .... will not ever take unisom again ... not sure if it was a reaction I only"

fuck off June 10, 2016

"I split the tablets into 6 portions and I sleep well but I am very groggy the next morning and find it very hard to wake up. I stay sleepy and tired almost all day long. I feel very uncomfortable driving to work in the morning because I am so groggy."

mirabenira (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2016

"Tried this to see if it was any better than doxylamine...It wasn't, in fact I found that it hardly makes me tired at all. I took 50mg, which is supposed to be equivalent to 25mg of doxylamine, but I found that for me the doxylamine was better. I guess everyone is different, though considering that doxylamine has a higher rating, I guess I'm not the only one who thinks it's better."

Chronic Insomniac (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"take for sleep"

erjaejhrgpifuvngdfbsrt March 19, 2016

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I have used Sominex for YEARS and I absolutely love it!!! I am NEVER groggy in the morning. It allows me to sleep, then if I have to go to the bathroom during the night, I am able to go back to sleep. I take it generally every night. When I have spoken to various doctors over the years, they have never seemed concerned about my long term use. Nothing else works quite like it, and it definitely improves my quality of life as I simply cannot function if I don't get enough sleep. I usually have to order it online because it is not always stocked at the stores that I go to. Hope this helps. Sweet Dreams. :)"

Stevie Lou February 20, 2016

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "Takes a while to get to sleep but once asleep that's how I stay. However I have found that it still effects me the next day. .....extremely groggy and exhausted. Not for me ."

Banshees February 12, 2016

"Works quite well on insomnia but careful when combining with other meds that also work on your sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system. I took it with lexapro and got significant problems with too low heart rate, respiratory issues and hypnic jerks."

avalokiteshwara (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "This medication works well if taken as directed for your insomnia and for no longer than about 1 month. I began taking 1-50mg twice a week which worked very well but I continued to increase the dosage every 2 weeks. It did make me tired enough to fall right to sleep after about 45 minutes of taking it and with no drowsiness the following morning. "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2016

"I take diphenhydramine in Ibuprofen PM to help me sleep, though I only take one pill and not more often than every third or fourth night. It works like a charm, enabling me to sleep without needing to get up and pee or waking up with my life concerns preventing a return to sleep, for 6-7 hours. My concern is whether it is habit-forming, whether taking this drug for sleep on some nights increases the difficulty I have in falling asleep without the drug, on other nights."

Steveplant January 14, 2016

ZzzQuil (diphenhydramine): "I purchased the zzzquil and it did not work not 1 bit , I would not recommended medication to anyone..."

BABYGIRL001 January 13, 2016

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "Tried this after my new Dr took me off of Ambien that I'd been on for 3 1/2 years by a sleep Dr for my insomnia, I can stay wide awake for up to 48 hours & then if I do fall asleep only get between 2-6 hours of sleep. New Dr thinks I'm depressed BUT I'm far from that & keeps wanting to put me on depression medicine!! Called sleep Dr back in Iowa to tell new Dr here in Louisiana that I have insomnia which she did BUT new Dr doesn't believe sleep specialist!!"

Angeljennings (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2015

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine): "I have mixed feelings about this.. the first night I took it, it took about 1 and a half hours to kick in, and when it did my husband said I was acting like I was seriously drunk...which I remember very little of. I do remember it making me crazy itchy, and feeling like my skin was crawling. But, once I got in to bed, I knocked out and slept great and felt great in the morning. However, I took it last night around 930pm, and was up ALL night... I have to be up at 445a for work, and I fell asleep about 330 and just now feel like it's effects are kicking in. I may end up leaving work early because I feel so awful and tired. I dont know that I will take this again."

MissBrie November 30, 2015

"Diphenhydramine is an extremely effective sleep aid. It takes half an hour or less for 25 mg to knock me out. The biggest problem I have with diphenhydramine is that it makes me feel kinda' groggy and nauseous the next day. I feel like I'm walking around in some weird twilight and food just doesn't taste good to me. Still, out of the three sleeping pills I've tried, diphenhydramine is by far the most effective. Ambien made me feel like I was on a roller coaster and melatonin mainly makes me fall asleep a little faster."

FoxyFinn (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2015

Nytol (diphenhydramine): "I have had problems sleeping lately. Someone recommend me to use these pill and they actually are really good. I have used them twice in a row and have slept well and even woke up when alarm came on."

Sanny1508 October 18, 2015

"took 100mg to fall asleep and slept walked in the middle of the night!!! I took a bottle of lotion out of the BATHROOM cabinet, and I must have watered it down and shook it up bc it was liquid the next day and sitting by my REFRIGERATOR!! wtf!! I have no memory of this.. and the next day I was anxious and depressed all over the place emotionally"

Anonymous October 14, 2015

"I dosed myself to sleep through the night for four nights in a row worked perfectly but when I stopped taking it I immediately started having post nasal drip (a lot of snot nonstop for two or three days). I also have hypertension"

mark187 September 25, 2015

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "Funnily enough, after taking this. I feel more easier to fell asleep during the day than in the night. After a unintentional 12 hours sleep( just couldn't wake myself up). Was awake for a few hours then was too drowsy and fell asleep again. Really feel these tablets works better during the day than in the night. : ("

Nickccc September 8, 2015

"The most effective and reasonable sleep aid I've taken. A single pill (25 mg) before bedtime will make me drowsy enough to fall asleep within a half hour, and it generally keeps me asleep throughout the night. Drowsiness the next day is a problem for me, however, if I take it too late in the previous night; it tends to stay in my system for quite a while and, as said in previous reviews, it's not something you should be taking every night. But it's still my go-to drug whenever I know that I need a good night's rest and I'll be able to sleep in the following morning."

Nobody's Hero September 4, 2015

"I took this as a sleeping aid due to a very hectic schedule that was stressing me out. It did help me go to sleep and stay asleep but I noticed that I was somewhat dizzy at times during the day. Over a six week period the dizziness became worse. I went to an ENT thinking perhaps I had an ear infection that was messing up my balance. He told me to discontinue the diphenhydramine and try valerian root (I didn't want to use any more drugs) and it would take time for the drug to get out of my system. I've been off the med for a week and still have some dizziness going on. This drug is definitely not for continuous use!"

RudyCoffee August 19, 2015

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine): "I'm a little young to be needing sleeping pills, but I do sadly. (17 years old). I took the 2 small tablets, and I fell asleep around an hour later. But when I woke up I felt like complete crap as I was SO tired. I could barely get up to put my clothes on, and when I did, I felt a little dizzy, and I passed out which was the scariest thing. Tried them again just in case it wasn't the pills, happened again. So for now I'm going to stick to taking 1 instead of 2, and see if that helps any."

Anonymous July 5, 2015

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "Works for me in the same manner all the above have stated. Be aware, though, it is intended for occasional use, not nightly use. It's active ingredient is basically Benedryl, the same as in many allergy meds. If you check ingredient labels rather than going by the brand name, you may be able to find a bargain."

Gi-Savannah (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine): "Very ineffective. Caused me to have a racing heart not sleep and to feel depressed and anxious the next day. Don't recommend"

Sandrajessica June 25, 2015