User Reviews for Promethazine

Also known as: Adgan, Anergan 50, Antinaus 50, Phenadoz, Phenazine 50, Phenergan, Phenergan Fortis, Phenoject-50, Pro-Med, Promethegan, V-Gan-25, V-Gan-50

Anaphylaxis

Vertigo
6.6

Summary of Promethazine reviews 8.2 219 reviews

Reviews for Promethazine

For Nausea/Vomiting: "This is a very potent drug. I'll say that. Highly effective for nausea and works very quickly, and that was what I was taking it for, so I'm giving it a 9. The one point deduction is for the weird side effects. Definitely makes you super drowsy, and I also experienced mood swings, crying jags, and what almost felt like hot flashes. But they're preferable to the extreme nausea, so... weigh your options."

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019

For Sedation: "I have pretty unrelenting severe insomnia, I can be awake for a few days at a time, which doctors don't know the reason why. Over the last couple of years since it began I have taken a variety of meds for it. For me Phenergan (Promethazine) works well but I have to take 75mg which is the max recommended dose . I usually then get about 6-8 hours uninterrupted sleep. The only downside is I feel groggy half of the next day but it's a small price to pay for getting sleep."

Harry (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 22, 2019

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "I only take 6mg (1/4 of 25mg tablet) at night before I have to work next day i.e Sun to Thurs night. The first time I took a whole pill, never again as it knocked me out but next morning had to stay home as I was so drowsy! I prefer this to taking Lorazepam."

Gina (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2019

For Sedation: "Works great for sleeping. I use 50mg on some evenings. Overall good OTC med for a good night's sleep"

JohnDoe (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2019

For Sedation: "Being an insomniac on and off (maybe once or twice a week as needed) for as long as I can remember, I find the only thing that really helps is Promethazine. It doesn't make me feel nauseous the next day like a lot of other sleeping tablets, both OTC and script. It can take a few hours to work, so I need to take it at least a couple of hours before I want to go to sleep. There is one negative - nightmares. I haven't heard from many other people who have experienced the same thing, but let me tell you, they can be horrendous - the worst kind of terror you can imagine. The weird thing is, sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't! And the half life is 12-16hrs or something, so you can be quite fatigued the next day. Overall though, in spite of all it, it's a winner for me."

Yatesie (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 8, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Was given this in college when I was in the ER with dehydration from a stomach bug. Eased the nausea and knocked me out— a bonus, as I didn’t really want to be awake while I felt so sick. It worked well for me as needed for nausea for several years, but about 5 or 6 years ago, it suddenly stopped working. I’d be heaving my guts out and falling asleep on the bathroom floor at the same time. I take Zofran for nausea now. I still keep the promethazine around for the sedative properties though. I just take it for a couple nights every once in a while to get my sleep patterns back in order."

Toby (taken for 10 years or more) February 3, 2019

Phenergan (promethazine) for Light Sedation: "I use whenever I want to ensure a good night's, uninterrupted, non-fitful sleep. Seems to work every time. A relative, and a neighbour I know, have similar success."

Jack (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 2, 2019

Phenergan (promethazine) for Urticaria: "Chronic Hives - 25mg works well after desloratidine ceased working for me. Side effects of sedation, lethargy, falling asleep very quickly (sometimes inappropriately), dry eyes & mouth. (If I was working and not retired, the side effects may not have been manageable)"

Yarbdor December 9, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "I took 3x 25mg Phenergan too help me sleep the next morning I woke up covered in bumps & bruises apparently I had a grand Mal seizure through the night I haven't had a fit in 9 yrs. The chemist failed to tell me this drug can bring on seizures. Just want other people to know about this as I was unaware... Thanks"

Shygirl84 December 8, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Because of chronic pain due to Spina Bifida, scoliosis, osteomyelitis, etc. etc. I abused (sorry) aspirin for many years, actually under a Doc's supervision because it was better than pain medications, and I destroyed my stomach even needing blood transfusions. So now, I am off all but one aspirin a day, but need to take antibiotics and blood pressure medicine, and what pain meds the state allows, so by nighttime my stomach is pretty raw. I swear by promethazine as being the only med I have ever taken that completely flatlines nausea and allows me to eat a meal. With promethazine, I gained back the 22 pounds I lost during my battle with MRSA. It does make you sleepy, and some people say it feels a little like a small dose of hydrocodone."

Silence the Conquerer December 3, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "Has anyone had weight gain with Phenergen 25mg? I've put on 5 kilos quickly since using this & another drug, Valdoxen. Valdoxen helps which your melatonin receptors, is also an antidepressant, & says you do not put weight on. Not sure which one it is! Phenergen does say it can cause weight gain, esp in females, but they are not sure why. Though they state it's thought it can make you hungry thus you eat more. This isn't the case for me. I've been eating & exercising normally so something is going on. It's fabulous for sleep though, I finally get a great sleep. Confused!!"

Kelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I have had generic phenergan for years. Anxiety and migraines for years. Then came compazine and I thought I was going to jump out of my skin, agitation, aggressive definitely not for me. Then Zofran which did absolutely nothing! Was diagnosed with chronic pain syndrome after cervical discectomy with fusion, then another surgery. Had s pain pump inserted and I was vomitin like there was no tomorrow. My pain doctor prescribed promethazine and a muscle relaxer and said the combination would stop the nausea and the promethazine would also work well at reducing the pain. I’m long passed being drowsy and it is a miracle drug for me. I wouldn’t have any quality of life without it."

DeDe (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 28, 2018

For Sedation: "Used this for the last 4/5 weeks. I tried this as it was a solution that I could get over the counter. I take 1 x 25mg per night (packaging says you can take up to 2 x 25mg) and I don’t have any side effects. Sleep deep, hear my alarm and I feel fine the next day. I have had other over the counter sleeping tablets and this is far best! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!"

Scottyboi (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2018

For Sedation: "I am in a quandry. For the past 10 months I have taken zopliclone nightly. My psychiatrist wants to wean me off it but any night I haven't taken it I haven't slept. Lack of sleep is detrimental to the stability of my mental health. I have been given choices A. for my quetiapine to be increased to aid my sleep (prob increasing my weight further) or B. to have my zopliclone replaced with promethazine but quite frankly having read the reviews here of people who already have experience with promethazine the reviews don't fill me with confidence that promethazine will be as effective as zopliclone. In an ideal world I'd stay on zopliclone but it isn't my choice and my psychiatrist says I will become tolerant to zopliclone."

McNab (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2018

For Allergic Reactions: "Promthazine is amazing. I have eczema and very bad itchy skin and it gets worse at night time. I take 25mg at around 8pm to stop itching and it starts to work in about 2 hours. It also helps me to fall a sleep which is good. I have been using it for just over a year now and I haven't had any problems. The only side effects that I have got from promethazine is tinnitus and its not pleasant but I can live with it."

alfred (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2018

For Sedation: "Have severe anxiety and was given this to take in the morning and before bed. It worked well the first 2 night's sent me straight to sleep but now It takes hours to fall asleep and I wake during the night many times think this is due to my anxiety being severe and needing a stronger dose. No side effects which is great."

Michelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2018

For Sedation: "For trouble falling asleep (no problem with staying asleep). I work as a heavy machinery operator. Prescribed by my dr. I asked for a short acting sleep aid. 1st attempt- Took at 8pm. Didn't sleep any earlier. Felt strange and disconnected next day until afternoon. 2nd attempt a week later- Taken 10am for nap. Didn't work. But my sinus cough cleared right up- wonderful! Still awake and alert at 6pm I went to dinner. I didn't get my usual red neck flush from beer- then at 8pm I became very drunk and uncontrollably sleepy after 4 beers. I was asleep by 9pm. Results: It stops sinus drip and cough in 30 mins. It prevents face flushing reaction to food and alcohol. It gets a bit sedating after around 10 hours and wears off around 18 hours later. Be very careful with alcohol even many hours later!!! Conclusion: Not useful for getting to sleep. Too long acting. To sleep at 9pm I would need to take it at work in the morning, too risky."

Bean August 29, 2018

For Anaphylaxis: "I just went thru 3 months of idiopathic anaphylaxis. But this time round l also had terribly itchy rashes as well. I had myself hospitalised the first time just to refresh and update new meds. None of the non drowsy antihistamines worked and l had at least 9 Epipen episodes. The Dr put me on a one off 100 mg of cortisone also. Apparently my potassium was low so l got an IV dose of that too. I saw many specialists and none could help. My GP suggested l cut down on food containing histamine, l didn't even know it did. After doing that l had no more anaphylaxis but still got some itchies. Phenergan saved my life"

Celery Neck (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine) for Light Sedation: "I've had trouble sleeping and waking up all night for years tried every natural sleep aid and none work . I won't ever try prescription sleeping pills. I was told about these otc med and they really help. I'm sleeping for longer and not waking . There has been no side effects, so so far so good"

D j (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2018

For Sedation: "This is the worst drug I've ever taken. Headaches, tongue swelling, eye lids swelling and a rash on them. I've got sore legs, sore arms and feel so ill. My doctor took me off Zoplicone and replaced it with this medicine I WOULDNT RECOMEND THIS DRUG TO ANYBODY OR GIVE TO A PATIENT WITH MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS"

skinneruk (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For Opiate Adjunct: "After fracturing my clavicle in six places in a football scrum, I have suffered chronic pain. One of the fractures (where bone is no longer present) never repaired itself. I am currently on Oxycodone 20mg four times a day, Codeine 60mg four times a day and Lyrica (Pregabalin) 300mg twice a day. Was told by my Specialist to go to the chemist and get a box of Promethazine and take 25mg-50mg four times a day to see if it potentiated my analgesia. My goodness has it been a life changer. I am almost at a pain score of 0. Also, given that it is an antihistamine, it removes the itch associated with opiate use. A solid 10/10."

M (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2018

For Sedation: "Great sleeping tablet if you are suffering from anxiety and cannot sleep at night. I am using due to using anti depressant that are causing me insomnia but highly recommend this if you need a decent nights sleep."

Kkkkkw August 4, 2018

For Sedation: "Having suffered torn cruciate ligament this couple of months, I've found phenergan to be a good sedative. I'm a bit worried about long term use, if anyone can help. I've been taking 25mg for the last 8 weeks to aide sleep. Any information would be greatly appreciated."

Kez (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2018

Anergan 50 (promethazine) for Light Sedation: "Only thing that helps me sleep. I cut the 25 mg. In half and that helps me settle down. I also combine that with 0.5 mg of klonopin. I am 77 years old and have suffered with insomnia for many, many years. I do not do well with anti-depressants so I avoid them. Wish I can forgo klonopin but have been on it for 10 years. Should have never started any mind controlling drug."

Dugie (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I occasionally become very nauseous mostly from too much heat (over 85 degrees) This medicine does wonders for me in very short period. Rarely do I require more than one (1) tablet per episode. I am very happy with results over last two (2) years."

possum (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2018