User Reviews for Promethazine

Also known as: Adgan, Anergan 50, Antinaus 50, Phenadoz, Phenazine 50, Phenergan, Phenergan Fortis, Phenoject-50, Pro-Med, Promethegan, V-Gan-25, V-Gan-50

Learn more about Promethazine.

Nausea/Vomiting 112 reviews 160 medications

Vertigo 6 reviews 29 medications

6.6
Summary of Promethazine reviews 174 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Promethazine

For Nausea/Vomiting: "My doctor gave me a small script of promethazine 25mg for nausea associated with tension headaches as well as allergies. I can't say it works EVERY time with the migraine nausea, but it does help great with my new allergies I developed from moving to a new area. It's not a terrible medication it does work but I'm sure there are others that may work better. I personally liked Zofran (ondansetron) for nausea when I had that but this is a decent alternative."

Chelseabergstresser (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was first given this medication after being admitted to the ER with a kidney infection, it is a literal miracle. I have an intense phobia of vomiting which gives me horrible anxiety anytime I feel nauseous (which is often with acid reflux and IBS) which makes the entire situation so much worse, but promethazine is an almost instant life saver. It did make me drowsy when I first started taking it, but that has lessened as time has gone by. It does take a while to completely work (30-60 mins depending on how amped up I am from anxiety) but as soon as I take it I know it's going to help and I am able to calm down and let it go to work. I can't imagine going back to a life where I missed out on work and events because of nausea."

Itsyagirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "Did nothing at all. Took another one, nothing. Very disappointed. After reading these reviews I really thought I'd found something that would help me sleep. Only one person it didn't work for. Guess I'm number two. Typical."

Big H (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "I was given this stuff when in labor as I had felt nauseated I think they put it right into my IV. I vomited anyway, but suddenly didn't care much about it. It relaxed me so much that I fell asleep off and on between labor. Since I also have PTSD along with severe insomnia, I wouldn't mind trying it for sleep. It can't be worse than Ambien, where I usually don't know that I ransacked the kitchen and pillaged everything that I could stuff into my mouth. When I wake up in the morning I find the kitchen in mysterious disorder but have no memory eating anything, or even getting up. At least with Phenergen I wouldn't have to worry about it."

Stuffl (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I have been on Phenergan pills since damage from Brain surgery years ago. It is a life saver! The pills are the only option that works for me. I take it 3-4 times every day. I could not survive without it!"

VegasNerveDamage April 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "On 3/23/17 I test positive for stomach flu. Phenergan didn't touch the nausea."

JOANIE55 March 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Has anyone experienced sadness after starting to take this drug. I am on 25mg for a few days and feel that it has helped with the nausea a little bit with the anxiety but it has made me sleep all day and feel sad. I normally have trouble getting onto strong meds such as anti depressants but I don't know if this is a case of this or something else. I am scared of becoming depressed."

Yanks950 (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "I can't say this drug has NO effect, but I'm a chronic insomniac and have been treated for it with Xanax or Klonopin for at least the last 20 years. While mild doses of those drugs have induced sleep, when I've desired more sleep than those "benzos" have allowed me, I've tried Promethazine in varied doses, from 12.5 to 75 MGs and it just doesn't induce sleep like I had hoped. It's very effective for reduction of nausea, but I'm lucky if it barely makes me drowsy. Sometimes, even the higher doses had no effect at all. BOTTOM LINE: This med gets great reviews, so it works for some, but I'm proof that it's not effective for EVERYONE."

Hudrion March 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I suffer from stomach ulcers and a ton of other stomach problems, and I also have crippling anxiety and depression so I stay nauseated most of the time. It also doesn't help that I have a fear of vomiting. When my dad was still alive (he had cancer) he told me to try promethazine so when I went to the doctor I asked him about it and he told me that it would be a good medication for me. It does make me a bit drowsy but I don't mind since I have insomia anyways. This medication has made my life so much better, I don't know what I'd do without it!"

volcanicmoons (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I do not know what I would do without promethazine! It helps a lot with my nausea which is very severe every day… It does not take it all away, I know… But it does help me enough I have been using this medicine for 11 years via IV centreline"

Momma1967 February 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was having nausea due to some of the meds I take for RA. My doctor prescribe promethazine. It really hasn't worked for me. It may decrease the nausea a little but I still feel ill."

RA girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "Before you take this for sleep, particularly if you are giving it to children, please read information about withdrawal. I was taking it for Prozac induced insomnia. Coming off Prozac was easy. Coming off phenergan is awful. It has been likened to coming off opiates. I am on day two. I am hoping by Monday it will be out of system and I can restart my life drug free."

seasideJennifer (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 4, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I am 21 yrs of age and have suffered from migraines for nearly 15 yrs now. Phenergan is my go to medication for the nausea and vomiting that sometimes comes along with my headaches. I usually just want to crawl into a dark hole but with this medication I'm able to control my nausea and prevent myself from being sick. It also helps with the stomach pains I sometimes get from taking Excedrin Migraine."

Ceezy29 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "Hated it. Sure enough I slept straight through for 8 hours but I experienced attacks of vertigo for 2 days afterwards. Never again"

Nath W January 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "I suffer with depression and PTSD. My Psychiatrist didn't want to prescribe Zopiclone as he said it's addictive but told me to try Promethazaine as said it's not addictive and I can take it every night. I found it to be very effective. I do feel quite tired in the morning but that's a small price to pay for continuous sleep. It hasn't stopped the nightmares but I'm getting to sleep quicker and staying asleep longer - definitely worth trying!"

KAnn26 January 18, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Started taking Promethazine at 25mg 3x daily yrs ago then to 4x daily for severe nauseous and vomiting from treatments for cancer and couldn't keep food down at all. I was also on strong pains before & higher w/cancer Oxycodone 30mg 4x day & Morphine 30mg ER twice daily for having 18 fracture vertebrae (8 herniated, 9 bulging had 1 ruptured disc repaired) an separate AC joint in right shoulder an other broken bones an left over bullet & shrapnel fragment in both legs & right foot due to 17yrs US Army 3 Combat tours. I found that the Promethazine didn't always work well as it should've at times I did go over an take couple more of them per day than what was prescribed. Didn't notice if it help w/pain meds. On them again cancer returned."

Nite-Owl December 17, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Light Sedation: "I have been taking Promethazine 25mg tablets as needed for nausea for about 5 years. 1 pill would completely take away my nausea, even if I had the flu. However, the first time taking 1 pill knocked me out. You can build up a tolerance fairly quickly if you take them daily. I also have taken 1 to 2 pills to sleep through the night if im off work the next day because they make me groggy for a few hours the next morning. They don't make me feel "out of it" like Xanax and I have never developed any type of addiction to them either."

Doc Johnson (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 21, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I have HG, and I've thrown up almost every hour in the hour. I was hospitalized twice before they finally gave my Promethazine. I wasn't able to keep down the oral medication but I opted finally for the suppositories, and while it takes about 30 minutes for me to feel completely better, it's truly a life saver."

EmmyG October 5, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Go to medication for nausea Makes you a tiny bit groggy but that side effect goes away.Its been around forever and I mainly use it with Excedrin when I have a migraine to subside the nausea.Only thing that comes near it is zofran and this is over $100 cheaper."

sopranofan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "I was having terrible sleep for past 5 days waking up between 1-3am with intense cramping. My doctor gave me some pills, I have never had a sleeping pill before. I slept non stop, In fact I had some trippy dream that I flew a spaceship to Dubai and landed on a skyscraper.....I now know what Dibai will look like in 50 years....Highly recommend"

RickRicky August 30, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "Definitely the best otc sleep aid available in the UK. I found it to be a very effective short term medication."

Sigmundfriend August 17, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I love this drug. I suffer with severe fear of vomiting and after getting prescribed it for insomnia I was over the moon. Not only does it help me sleep. It calms me down and stops all my anxiety nausea :) been taking it a few times a week for about a year and it's helped me out massively. Only bad point Is grogginess the next day but it's so worth it"

Bethviolet222 July 30, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "My doctor prescribed it when i had my wisdom teeth removed. But even after that i was nauseated every time i ate so depending how bad it was i would take the phenergan. It would help alot and put me to sleep. Only one time it took longer then expected. But overall its very good."

Anonymous July 23, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "By far the best anti nausea medication. I've had Zofran, Hydroxyzine, and some over the counter stuff, nothing compares to Promethazine. It takes about 30-60 minutes to fully peak, once it does.. It works wonders. Zofran is good for on the spot nausea, to work fast. But if you have chronic nausea, Promethazine works both ways!"

All-Promethazine (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 17, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sedation: "I've recently tapered off Zolpidem after 28 years of use and decided to try Phenergan 25mg as a 'substitute'. The first two nights I woke up regularly and had vivid weird dreams. The third night it knocked me out cold. I slept like a rock, however I felt like a zombie the next day. Although Zolpidem felt more natural and I was more refreshed the next day, I'm happy to be off sleeping tablets and will use Phenergan for a while until I can let go of that as well. I could never sleep late/in, but with Phenergan I can easily sleep past 10am. No other side effects experienced except drowsiness and vivid dreams and maybe muscle spasms. Great over the counter med for sedation."

M'Elle July 9, 2016