User Reviews for Promethazine

Also known as: Phenergan, Phenadoz, Promethegan, Adgan, V-Gan-25, Anergan 50, Phenazine 50, Phenergan Fortis, Antinaus 50, V-Gan-50, Phenoject-50, Pro-Med

Anaphylaxis

6.6

Summary of Promethazine reviews 8.1 230 reviews

Reviews for Promethazine

Hdav · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I took one 12.5mg tablet and had the worst side effects, dizziness, not feeling able to hold my head up properly, nausea was worse, I felt like I couldn’t control my movements very well. I prefer Prochlorperazine so much more than promethazine! Wouldn’t give this medication to my worst nightmare! Would never touch this drug again!!"

Priiny · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "Phenergan was useless no help at all. Would not recommend"

Jo July 9, 2019

For Sedation: "I have taken 25 mg Promethazine on and off for a few months. It is not over the counter where I live, either. Some nights it works really good. But, some nights I toss and turn. I think the 25 mg is not working anymore. May have to up the dose? Did not know it could induce seizures."

Jane · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2019

For Allergic Reactions: "My husband used Phenergan 25 for an itchy reaction to another drug, caused nervousness, dizziness, insomnia, anxiety, confusion, anger, nightmares and thought he was going mad. (I did too!) After 2 nights I realized what it was doing, he slept it off the next day, never to use it again! There is no warning of these ill effects on the packet!!! Only may cause drowsiness, well it did, about 16 hours later!!"

Cat June 9, 2019

For Urticaria: "I take 50mg promethazine daily for Eosinophilic pustular folliculitis (EPF), classic type and so far it has been the best treatment. This is a very rare disease with little to no information or research on it. I had an aggressive case where most of my upper body was covered. The worst itching I have ever experienced just 24 hours a day for months. Even just getting changed and washing could take off the skin. There is really no treatment plan for EPF c, just throw something for dermatitis at it and pray. 8 months in and nothing was really working. Switched it up yet again and tried Promethazine, and continued ointments and the Loratadine I was already on. After about a month it had really calmed it down, and I was able to use topical treatments that previously had stung my skin too much. Eventually stopped taking the Loratadine, I scaled the ointment down to as needed. Now I have been taking just 50mg of Promethazine daily since the end of 2017 and only have mild flair ups once in awhile."

freddy22 · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2019

For Sedation: "I was given promethazine for nausea related to anxiety. When anxiety gets bad I can not eat, even the thought or smell of food can make me want to vomit. Sometimes I even get so worked up I do vomit from my anxiety. Promethazine at 12.5mg has helped my nausea tremendously. Also I did notice it helps my anxiety as well! Only down side for me was morning grogginess if I took it at night and light sensitivity during the day. I use this as a substitute for Ativan. It is great and works for two things I now have no nausea, lower anxiety, give it a shot."

Jake · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 17, 2019

For Allergic Reactions: "For me Phenergan (promethazine) is amazing, around twice a week I get severe hay fever my eyes hurt really bad and I can't stop sneezing. I had tried everything nothing seemed to word then tried Phenergan promethazine I take a 25mg and half an hour later I feel fine just a little sleepy."

Walsh02 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 10, 2019

For Sedation: "I’ve given a review of 8/10, not because this medication isn’t perfect at addressing insomnia, because it is but for the fact it’s just another crutch. I had severe insomnia for approx 2 year, having always been a troubled sleeper. I would be awake all night, on the verge of tears, having to cancel my next day’s clients. It was hideous. This worked like a dream, didn’t make me feel strange or cause a racing heart. If I have issues again, this will be my go to. I just want to share my ‘cure’....binaural beats - a type of music or sounds which really works for getting me to sleep. I listen to them throughout the night, set on a low volume and for the first time, I’m falling asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow and waking up bright and early, full of beans. I was also informed that my circadian rhythm was messed up, which is why my sleep signals weren’t working. As well as the binuaral beats, i also limit myself to coffee only in the morning and have tried to drastically cut down on alcohol."

Maggie Thatcher · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2019

Phenergan (promethazine) for Light Sedation: "My sleep is terrible. Phenergan helped but it made me anxious and shivery if I didn't take it and jump into bed straight away to settle. I'd sleep well but wake the next day feeling like I'd been hit by a truck and low in mood. It does help with sleep but it's not for me. Back to insomnia for me."

SleeplessInSydney · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2019

For Sedation: "I’ve taken Benzo’s on and off short term for insomnia I ended up with suspected withdrawals. My life was awfuland I felt I was going to die. Lost my job, couldn’t sleep and the Dr wouldn’t give me anymore benzos - thank goodness I remembered phenergan! It can take a few hours to kick in but I took 50mg and had a 10 hours sleep. I still wake a bit but am able to get back to sleep. Been taking for 14 days now and want to stop because it makes me drowsy next day and I’ve gained weight because it just makes me so tired which I chose over the insomnia but hopefully I will be able to reduce the dose and then stop taking it and sleep without it soon. I read someone wrote to take with Ashwagandha herbs so I’m gonna try find those tomorrow. Phenergan is a great though. If you have severe insomnia then everything gets harder and this OTC just really helps you get some sleep so you can keep going. I’m very grateful."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was prescribed this for morning sickness. It certainly did relieve the nausea, but it knocked me out for six-eight hours shortly after taking it. I tried taking it before bed instead of during the day and slept really well, but still felt really groggy in the morning and kept falling back to sleep. In the end I moved to another med so I didn't feel so drowsy."

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: "This is a very potent drug. I'll say that. Highly effective for nausea and works very quickly, and that was what I was taking it for, so I'm giving it a 9. The one point deduction is for the weird side effects. Definitely makes you super drowsy, and I also experienced mood swings, crying jags, and what almost felt like hot flashes. But they're preferable to the extreme nausea, so... weigh your options."

Harry · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 22, 2019

For Sedation: "I have pretty unrelenting severe insomnia, I can be awake for a few days at a time, which doctors don't know the reason why. Over the last couple of years since it began I have taken a variety of meds for it. For me Phenergan (Promethazine) works well but I have to take 75mg which is the max recommended dose . I usually then get about 6-8 hours uninterrupted sleep. The only downside is I feel groggy half of the next day but it's a small price to pay for getting sleep."

Gina · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2019

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "I only take 6mg (1/4 of 25mg tablet) at night before I have to work next day i.e Sun to Thurs night. The first time I took a whole pill, never again as it knocked me out but next morning had to stay home as I was so drowsy! I prefer this to taking Lorazepam."

JohnDoe · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2019

For Sedation: "Works great for sleeping. I use 50mg on some evenings. Overall good OTC med for a good night's sleep"

Yatesie · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 8, 2019

For Sedation: "Being an insomniac on and off (maybe once or twice a week as needed) for as long as I can remember, I find the only thing that really helps is Promethazine. It doesn't make me feel nauseous the next day like a lot of other sleeping tablets, both OTC and script. It can take a few hours to work, so I need to take it at least a couple of hours before I want to go to sleep. There is one negative - nightmares. I haven't heard from many other people who have experienced the same thing, but let me tell you, they can be horrendous - the worst kind of terror you can imagine. The weird thing is, sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't! And the half life is 12-16hrs or something, so you can be quite fatigued the next day. Overall though, in spite of all it, it's a winner for me."

Toby · Taken for 10 years or more February 3, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Was given this in college when I was in the ER with dehydration from a stomach bug. Eased the nausea and knocked me out— a bonus, as I didn’t really want to be awake while I felt so sick. It worked well for me as needed for nausea for several years, but about 5 or 6 years ago, it suddenly stopped working. I’d be heaving my guts out and falling asleep on the bathroom floor at the same time. I take Zofran for nausea now. I still keep the promethazine around for the sedative properties though. I just take it for a couple nights every once in a while to get my sleep patterns back in order."

Jack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 2, 2019

Phenergan (promethazine) for Light Sedation: "I use whenever I want to ensure a good night's, uninterrupted, non-fitful sleep. Seems to work every time. A relative, and a neighbour I know, have similar success."

Yarbdor December 9, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine) for Urticaria: "Chronic Hives - 25mg works well after desloratidine ceased working for me. Side effects of sedation, lethargy, falling asleep very quickly (sometimes inappropriately), dry eyes & mouth. (If I was working and not retired, the side effects may not have been manageable)"

Shygirl84 December 8, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "I took 3x 25mg Phenergan too help me sleep the next morning I woke up covered in bumps & bruises apparently I had a grand Mal seizure through the night I haven't had a fit in 9 yrs. The chemist failed to tell me this drug can bring on seizures. Just want other people to know about this as I was unaware... Thanks"

Silence the Conquerer December 3, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Because of chronic pain due to Spina Bifida, scoliosis, osteomyelitis, etc. etc. I abused (sorry) aspirin for many years, actually under a Doc's supervision because it was better than pain medications, and I destroyed my stomach even needing blood transfusions. So now, I am off all but one aspirin a day, but need to take antibiotics and blood pressure medicine, and what pain meds the state allows, so by nighttime my stomach is pretty raw. I swear by promethazine as being the only med I have ever taken that completely flatlines nausea and allows me to eat a meal. With promethazine, I gained back the 22 pounds I lost during my battle with MRSA. It does make you sleepy, and some people say it feels a little like a small dose of hydrocodone."

Kelly · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "Has anyone had weight gain with Phenergen 25mg? I've put on 5 kilos quickly since using this & another drug, Valdoxen. Valdoxen helps which your melatonin receptors, is also an antidepressant, & says you do not put weight on. Not sure which one it is! Phenergen does say it can cause weight gain, esp in females, but they are not sure why. Though they state it's thought it can make you hungry thus you eat more. This isn't the case for me. I've been eating & exercising normally so something is going on. It's fabulous for sleep though, I finally get a great sleep. Confused!!"

DeDe · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 28, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I have had generic phenergan for years. Anxiety and migraines for years. Then came compazine and I thought I was going to jump out of my skin, agitation, aggressive definitely not for me. Then Zofran which did absolutely nothing! Was diagnosed with chronic pain syndrome after cervical discectomy with fusion, then another surgery. Had s pain pump inserted and I was vomitin like there was no tomorrow. My pain doctor prescribed promethazine and a muscle relaxer and said the combination would stop the nausea and the promethazine would also work well at reducing the pain. I’m long passed being drowsy and it is a miracle drug for me. I wouldn’t have any quality of life without it."

Scottyboi · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 28, 2018

For Sedation: "Used this for the last 4/5 weeks. I tried this as it was a solution that I could get over the counter. I take 1 x 25mg per night (packaging says you can take up to 2 x 25mg) and I don’t have any side effects. Sleep deep, hear my alarm and I feel fine the next day. I have had other over the counter sleeping tablets and this is far best! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!"

McNab · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2018

For Sedation: "I am in a quandry. For the past 10 months I have taken zopliclone nightly. My psychiatrist wants to wean me off it but any night I haven't taken it I haven't slept. Lack of sleep is detrimental to the stability of my mental health. I have been given choices A. for my quetiapine to be increased to aid my sleep (prob increasing my weight further) or B. to have my zopliclone replaced with promethazine but quite frankly having read the reviews here of people who already have experience with promethazine the reviews don't fill me with confidence that promethazine will be as effective as zopliclone. In an ideal world I'd stay on zopliclone but it isn't my choice and my psychiatrist says I will become tolerant to zopliclone."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)