User Reviews for Promethazine

Also known as: Adgan, Anergan 50, Antinaus 50, Phenadoz, Phenazine 50, Phenergan, Phenergan Fortis, Phenoject-50, Pro-Med, Promethegan, V-Gan-25, V-Gan-50

Learn more about Promethazine.

Nausea/Vomiting 100 reviews 159 medications

Vertigo 6 reviews 29 medications

6.6
Summary of Promethazine reviews 155 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Promethazine

For Sedation: "I was having terrible sleep for past 5 days waking up between 1-3am with intense cramping. My doctor gave me some pills, I have never had a sleeping pill before. I slept non stop, In fact I had some trippy dream that I flew a spaceship to Dubai and landed on a skyscraper.....I now know what Dibai will look like in 50 years....Highly recommend"

RickRicky August 30, 2016

For Sedation: "Definitely the best otc sleep aid available in the UK. I found it to be a very effective short term medication."

Sigmundfriend August 17, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I love this drug. I suffer with severe fear of vomiting and after getting prescribed it for insomnia I was over the moon. Not only does it help me sleep. It calms me down and stops all my anxiety nausea :) been taking it a few times a week for about a year and it's helped me out massively. Only bad point Is grogginess the next day but it's so worth it"

Bethviolet222 July 30, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "My doctor prescribed it when i had my wisdom teeth removed. But even after that i was nauseated every time i ate so depending how bad it was i would take the phenergan. It would help alot and put me to sleep. Only one time it took longer then expected. But overall its very good."

Anonymous July 23, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "By far the best anti nausea medication. I've had Zofran, Hydroxyzine, and some over the counter stuff, nothing compares to Promethazine. It takes about 30-60 minutes to fully peak, once it does.. It works wonders. Zofran is good for on the spot nausea, to work fast. But if you have chronic nausea, Promethazine works both ways!"

All-Promethazine (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 17, 2016

For Sedation: "I've recently tapered off Zolpidem after 28 years of use and decided to try Phenergan 25mg as a 'substitute'. The first two nights I woke up regularly and had vivid weird dreams. The third night it knocked me out cold. I slept like a rock, however I felt like a zombie the next day. Although Zolpidem felt more natural and I was more refreshed the next day, I'm happy to be off sleeping tablets and will use Phenergan for a while until I can let go of that as well. I could never sleep late/in, but with Phenergan I can easily sleep past 10am. No other side effects experienced except drowsiness and vivid dreams and maybe muscle spasms. Great over the counter med for sedation."

M'Elle July 9, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Although I prefer Zofran melt aways because it melts in your mouth and doesn't require you to drink anything (which can cause vomiting when your already sick) I love Phenergan! It works longer and although not as fast it works better. I use it for nausea and as a sleep aid because of side effects from other medications. It does lower your blood pressure which is a side effect I don't mind because of my constant high BP and the side effects of the BP meds.it's very effective and almost every insurance will cover the cost (zophran is rarely covered) overall I don't take it everyday but it's safe for me to say that I've had no bad side effects from prolonged use."

Penniesfromheavon (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2016

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was suffering with nausea caused by panic disorder, anxiety, and depression, my physician prescribed me zofran at first, but I did not like the side effect of major constipation. Thus I told my doctor "is there any other MEDs for nausea", he prescribed me phenergan and it's a miracle drug. My nausea is now barely present."

Jose12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2016

For Vertigo: "I take this medication with another pill for my Ménière's Disease. Once my vertigo is in play I get severely nauseated and vomit. With this drug once an attack comes on I take it immediately. It not only calms me down but makes the nausea go away almost completely it's a God send."

Vertigosucks June 10, 2016

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was prescribed phenergan after having my wisdom teeth removed. When I got home, I immediately fell asleep (still under the influence of the anesthesia). Upon waking and attempting to stand, I began to heave and vomit profusely, but after laying back down and taking phenergan, my symptoms were gone nearly instantly. Would definitely recommend; phenergan was an important part of my recovery!"

AmeKaye June 3, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "While in the hospital, I was suffering from nausea and vomiting. Since I could not keep anything down because of the vomiting, I was given Zofran via IV. It worked quickly and controlled my nausea and vomiting. I was given a prescription for Zofran when I was discharged. When the vomiting began again at home, I was unable to hold down the Zofran long enough for it to work. My doctor called in a script for Phenergan (promethazine) rectal suppositories. I found that they worked almost as quickly as the IV Zofran and actually did a better job controlling the nausea and vomiting. As mentioned in other reviews, both the pills and suppositories can make you a bit sleepy."

Hoosier Bill (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

For Allergic Reactions: "Wasn't effective"

TawniJo April 24, 2016

For Sedation: "Great stuff. Best way to beat restless sleep patterns. Not up and down like a yoyo when I take. One. Use 1 25mg. Get sick of the silly questions at the pharmacy. Don't take it every night about 3 times a week."

chezdebs (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 13, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I have had stomach issues due to my GERD and have tried Zofran and it didn't work at all. My DR then had me try out Promethazine for whenever I feel nauseous when my GERD acts up or I eat something that makes me feel sick and it's gone within 15-20 minutes. It hasn't made me tired, but sometimes I will get a very quick blurred vision spell which I was warned about. But I love it.. it really helps me out"

Promethazinefan (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2016

Phenergan (promethazine) for Allergic Reactions: "My son was given a one-time dose of 25mg of this drug intravenously for nausea in hospital, while on iv drips which included nitroglycerin, blood pressure medications, and pain opiates. He had a *severe* reaction, which included extremely high bp spikes (over 200 systolic), seizures, disorientation and hallucinations. The blood pressure spikes and seizures were extremely dangerous, as he had just suffered aortic dissection. It was fortunate that this drug reaction was not fatal. This drug should have a huge warning against usage with blood pressure meds, as that is a potentially fatal combination. The pharmacy should reject any request to use this drug in such a combination."

DontUseWithBPMeds (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

For Light Sedation: "I suffer bad tinnitus and don't get much sleep I take 2 of these tablets but they don't work :/"

Soph22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I have been taking Phenergan for relief of nausea for years. When I use to suffer from chronic migraine headaches, Phenergan would not only help with the nausea but also help me sleep and help with the pain. Several years ago I was in the hospital for a bad post-op bone infection (from a compound fracture) and I had awful nausea and the current drugs of choice couldn't control it like Phenergan."

Cowboy Hoss (taken for 10 years or more) February 15, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Just started coumadin.. one of the side effects is nausea. Has anyone taken promethazine for nausea from coumadin? I definitely think the Coumadin is causing this as started about same time."

Summerbean (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I have never heard of this medication being used for anything but nausea and vomiting but it helps me I have GERD, acid re-flux all the time and some foods make me sick to my stomach if it gets too bad I will take half a 25 mg tablet if that does not work I take the other half it states on script not to take more than one every 8 hours so taking two at one time would literally be overdosing my medication and not using it as prescribed I do not recommend doing that with this medication it knocks me out with just one half of a dose anything over what is prescribed is abusing the prescription. As far as knocking me out I actually want to sleep when I am nauseated so I am glad it knocks me out so I do not get sick to my stomach any more"

sstone January 31, 2016

For Opiate Adjunct: "I'm on some strong Pain Meds, including Methadone 10mg 4x daily, and Oxycodone 15mg 4x daily after I tore my ACL and broke my arm while playing football. I've had chronic nausea for about 15 years now, I'm a 27 year old male. When I got put on those narcotics, my nausea went out of control, real bad. My pain doctor gave me a script for Promethazine, 50mg 3x daily, and all I can say is, WOW! My nausea is now completely gone, AND it makes my pain Meds work MUCH better. Takes away the negative side effects such as itchiness, and nausea, and adds to the positives such as reducing pain. Thank you Promethazine!"

Promethadone (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2016

For Sedation: "I've always suffered with bad sleeping patterns and anxiety around stressful times such as exams or when I have a lot of deadlines, taking two of these (25mg each) knocks me out and means I don't have the bad anxiety dreams (that used to stop me from thinking straight) and now I get everything sorted the next day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

For Sedation: "Great if you take it to calm down. I use it for severe agitation."

Anonymous December 7, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine) for Motion Sickness: "Hallucinations, nausea, irritability and exhausted"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was prescribed this medicine about a year and a half ago to get over a stomach bug. Then, when I got Clostridium Difficile a year ago, I asked for this medicine again. I have an undetermined stomach condition that I've had since I can remember. It makes me feel nauseous often. My doctor gave me a refillable prescription of Promethazine. Every single time I take promethazine, my nausea is gone in 40 minutes or less! It has been wonderful for me. It does make me sleepy, but its worth it for me if it stops the nausea. I take 1/2 of a 25mg tablet if I'm feeling only somewhat bad, 1 tablet if I'm feeling bad, and rarely two tablets if I feel extremely bad. It is the only thing I've tried that always works completely without fail. I love it!"

PromethazineFan (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was diagnosed with H Pylori and I was throwing up and nauseated every day for an entire month finally I was hospitalized and they gave me phenergran and God Bless the person who created this drug. Even now when I feel the slightest bit of nausea I take it and it'll knock me out and wake up feeling great"

Anonymous November 4, 2015