User Reviews for Promethazine

Also known as: Adgan, Anergan 50, Antinaus 50, Phenadoz, Phenazine 50, Phenergan, Phenergan Fortis, Phenoject-50, Pro-Med, Promethegan, V-Gan-25, V-Gan-50

Nausea/Vomiting

Vertigo
6.6

Summary of Promethazine reviews 8.2 198 reviews

Reviews for Promethazine

For Sedation: "Having suffered torn cruciate ligament this couple of months, I've found phenergan to be a good sedative. I'm a bit worried about long term use, if anyone can help. I've been taking 25mg for the last 8 weeks to aide sleep. Any information would be greatly appreciated."

Kez (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2018

Anergan 50 (promethazine) for Light Sedation: "Only thing that helps me sleep. I cut the 25 mg. In half and that helps me settle down. I also combine that with 0.5 mg of klonopin. I am 77 years old and have suffered with insomnia for many, many years. I do not do well with anti-depressants so I avoid them. Wish I can forgo klonopin but have been on it for 10 years. Should have never started any mind controlling drug."

Dugie (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I occasionally become very nauseous mostly from too much heat (over 85 degrees) This medicine does wonders for me in very short period. Rarely do I require more than one (1) tablet per episode. I am very happy with results over last two (2) years."

possum (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2018

Promethegan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Promethezine is in the class of antihistamines which intensifies Restless Leg Syndrome for me."

superfluousjargon (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I love promethzine. It helps with my PMSing for nausea. I also have horrible emetophobia, definitely comes in handy. I also use it if I have sickness from the flu and motion sickness for planes. I high recommend this drug!"

Jo Ann Rabor (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 25, 2018

For Sedation: "I first used promethazine as 'when required med' when I was inpatient on a psych ward, and found that although it worked and helped calm me down and I stop hurting myself, it made me extremely drowsy. At the same time I was on melatonin but found that even 12mg (more than the highest recommend dose for a child my age) didn't help. I asked my doctor to switch my sleep Meds to a mix of both but he refused as we wouldn't know which one helped. At first he put me on 25mg (of promethazine) but after 2 months I had to have it upped to 50mg as I had grown too tolerant. I am not on melatonin and it works a treat with no side effects. ♡"

Francis (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2018

For Sedation: "This helped me on and off. I used to take sominex which is also promethazine hydrocloride but yeah it doesn't work every time so I suggest you take it now and again with not any more then 2 tablets (50mg). It does help with appetite and can give you that high feeling I remember being on it once and sleeping for like 20 hours"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

For Sedation: "I suffered a head injury and had a really hard time being able to sleep afterwards. After trying Amitryptiline, doxepin nortriptyline without success, Promethazine/phenergan was the answer. It wore off a little after a while and then including 1x Ashwagandha 300mg (herbal supplement) it regains a good effect and have been able to reduce the dose from 25mg to 10mg. Takes about 1 hour to take effect. Is especially good to keep you asleep during night."

Dude (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "I have restarted taking 3 months ago, after coming off amitriptyline cold turkey. These are more suited as you can take most cold and flu medication without issues, which was always a issue. The tablets take effect quickly (1.5 hours) first started on 50mg per night now down to 30mg due to tablets now making me more sleepy during the day time than before. I would recommend these to any anxiety or insomnia suffer as they do not have neuro side effects like other sleepers."

K (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2018

For Sedation: "Just doesn't work. I was switched over from 15mg of zopiclone to 50mg Promethazine and I can't sleep at all. At least my skin's not all itchy from tossing and turning all night."

AJ (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2018

For Sedation: "I took 50mgs of the promethazine for sleep, it took at least 2 hours to start working. Once it kicked in I was beyond tired, I fell asleep in my bed for about an hour and woke up, I got up to head outside for a cigarette I got dizzy and laid on my living room floor and was out for another good hour. After getting back to bed fell asleep for like 5 hours and woke up drenched in sweat having to change clothes, sheets etc. Overall worked good to go to sleep besides the sweating side effects and feeling fuzzy after its worn off. Most likely would not take again due to the sweats."

Corolian March 16, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Every time I get sick, whichever virus I contact seems to attack my stomach. No diarrhea or anything, Just constant puking. I would go to the clinic knowing what I wanted, which was promethazine, and after 3 hours and about $130, I get my promethazine prescription. My question is: Why is it a prescription drug in the 1st place? It's not abusive. Sure, it can make you sleepy, but so can Nyquil. My answer is the fact that it keeps clinics and a good amount of doctors in business. If people can cure themselves, what do we need to go to the doctor for? In more ways than good, our healthcare system has twice as many drawbacks than benefits for the people. Just think about it."

Uncontrollably puking (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2018

For Sedation: "This drug works for insomnia but it seems to have a very long half life and I feel groggy the next day, plus it also gives me depression which can linger for at least a couple of days after taking it, depression is a common side effect of antihistamines especially the strongest anticholinergic ones like Promethazine/Phenergan."

JohnC (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "My expectations were higher re treatment of nausea. Gas pain."

marksaxton (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2018

For Sedation: "I have been taking phenergan for insomnia and find it works great, I have had trouble sleeping most nights for a few months mostly due to being wired up at bedtime I have random thoughts running through my mind when I lie down which stops me sleeping and then I get anxious about not sleeping which then prolongs the time taken to fall asleep but Phenergan seems to calm my mind because of it's sedative properties. I take a 25-50mg doseage and 30 to 45 mins later I begin to relax and feel drowsy enough to fall asleep, I get a good 6 or 7 hours sleep on them, overall these tablets work for me. Only side effects have been dry mouth and groggy in the morning but those are better than getting no sleep at all."

Gareth1985 December 11, 2017

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Promethazine is a lifesaver. I'm 26yrs old and was diagnosed with Acute Renal Failure 8 months ago. My main symptom was extreme nausea and vomiting. I've had to take a plastic bag with me everytime I left the house and was in the ER about 7 times since the diagnosis for dehydration.The doctors give me 3 medications( including Zofran, which I took and was no match for the vomiting). Things were looking pretty grim, my psychological and physical health was going downhill until I was prescribed promethazine. I took it for 2 days and bam, all the vomiting and nauseousness was gone. I stopped taking it and felt fine. It's now 3 months later and the vomiting is back, I know just what I'll be taking now."

Chickflick (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2017

For Light Sedation: "Promethazine was prescribed twice to me for mild sedation by my neurological doctor. I tried in in doses between 10mg and higher. This doesn't make me drowsy unless I'd had pain also and taken an opioid with it. The only effect I received was the taste of it. The second time it was given to me instead of zopiclone. Still, no effect. I tried it once as a treatment for nausea; 40mg. didn`t work."

John Titor (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2017

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Received Phenergan (IV) in the hospital for nausea and vomiting. Did not have any history of hypertension, but my blood pressure spiked after 3 doses of phenergan. I am now on a beta blocker, and have not been able to have my BP return to normal since being discharged. Just really a strange situation. Historically, I have not been on any medications."

LizBethLiz November 2, 2017

Phenergan (promethazine) for Opiate Adjunct: "Been taking promethazine 10mg for years now to get rid of motion sickness. I can’t travel on public transport. But Then I noticed after running out of my prescription that there was 25mg Phenergan you could buy at the chemist with 56 tablets. So I saw you could take them to help you sleep so I started taking them with my zoplicone sleeping tablets which didn’t really work (shouldn't be taken together). The usual dose for sleeping in 25mg to 50mg night but I have been taking more than that (which is dangereous) . Some advice would be very much appreciated"

Nicky j jones (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 20, 2017

For Sedation: "I've seen people on here say , this is NOT an over the counter medication where I live. Also this is nothing like ambien - ambien is a benzodiazepine medication, so if you're expecting that then don't! Works good for upset stomach as well as mild sedation, don't expect a "xanax" effect, but they will help with your appetite, and allow for some rest, also works good to help nausea if you take medications that make you sick, like morphine for example. I am NOT a professional or even in the medical field, there are way too many "shadetree" pharmacists out there so consult a real one for a real diagnosis or answer, its just they won't tell you what you "want" to hear like people on these forums will."

Devledawg October 3, 2017

For Sedation: "I was given 25mg to take night time. I found myself waiting hours before it kicks in. Everyone said the next day how well I looked however my brain was a bit fuzzy the following day. I shall use this drug to create a sleep routine and then only use it sparingly for emergencies of sleeplessness. I found myself sleeping through the night for the first time in years."

Sleeptight September 20, 2017

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I used to take Zofran and personally felt the effects a lot quicker and took care of nausea better, but because of other meds I take it can cause bad reactions. They put me on Promethazine as needed for nausea from opiate meds or severe migraines . This doesn't work quick and doesn't work that great but I guess it's better than vomiting"

Chelseabergstresser (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2017

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I've been struggling with chronic nausea for a year now as well as an extreme fear of vomiting and anxiety nausea which I was happily surprised to see a lot of other people who took this medicine said it was a lifesaver for that. I had such high hopes for this medicine but unfortunately almost ended in a trip to the ER. Within three hours of taking it I felt extremely drunk, hollow, tingly, like my arms weren't attached to my body, heart palpitations, which of course only triggered a panic attack and made it worse. Oh, and it literally didn't even touch my nausea :( Needless to say that was my first and last dose!"

ashpelletier August 17, 2017

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Works GREAT getting rid of the nausea I have from taking Fentanyl and Oxicodone."

Drew1204 August 9, 2017

Phenergan (promethazine) for Motion Sickness: "Safest, cheapest, anti histamine (it's main function) works very well. It's a good medication for motion sickness. I use injectables and tabs. Seek advice before using any medication."

Max4444 August 4, 2017