User Reviews for Promethazine

Also known as: Adgan, Anergan 50, Antinaus 50, Phenadoz, Phenazine 50, Phenergan, Phenergan Fortis, Phenoject-50, Pro-Med, Promethegan, V-Gan-25, V-Gan-50

Learn more about Promethazine.

Nausea/Vomiting 114 reviews 160 medications

Vertigo 6 reviews 29 medications

6.6
Summary of Promethazine reviews 180 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Promethazine

Phenergan (promethazine) for Opiate Adjunct: "Been taking promethazine 10mg for years now to get rid of motion sickness. I can’t travel on public transport. But Then I noticed after running out of my prescription that there was 25mg Phenergan you could buy at the chemist with 56 tablets. So I saw you could take them to help you sleep so I started taking them with my zoplicone sleeping tablets which didn’t really work (shouldn't be taken together). The usual dose for sleeping in 25mg to 50mg night but I have been taking more than that (which is dangereous) . Some advice would be very much appreciated"

Nicky j jones (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "I've seen people on here say , this is NOT an over the counter medication where I live. Also this is nothing like ambien - ambien is a benzodiazepine medication, so if you're expecting that then don't! Works good for upset stomach as well as mild sedation, don't expect a "xanax" effect, but they will help with your appetite, and allow for some rest, also works good to help nausea if you take medications that make you sick, like morphine for example. I am NOT a professional or even in the medical field, there are way too many "shadetree" pharmacists out there so consult a real one for a real diagnosis or answer, its just they won't tell you what you "want" to hear like people on these forums will."

Devledawg October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "I was given 25mg to take night time. I found myself waiting hours before it kicks in. Everyone said the next day how well I looked however my brain was a bit fuzzy the following day. I shall use this drug to create a sleep routine and then only use it sparingly for emergencies of sleeplessness. I found myself sleeping through the night for the first time in years."

Sleeptight September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I used to take Zofran and personally felt the effects a lot quicker and took care of nausea better, but because of other meds I take it can cause bad reactions. They put me on Promethazine as needed for nausea from opiate meds or severe migraines . This doesn't work quick and doesn't work that great but I guess it's better than vomiting"

Chelseabergstresser (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I've been struggling with chronic nausea for a year now as well as an extreme fear of vomiting and anxiety nausea which I was happily surprised to see a lot of other people who took this medicine said it was a lifesaver for that. I had such high hopes for this medicine but unfortunately almost ended in a trip to the ER. Within three hours of taking it I felt extremely drunk, hollow, tingly, like my arms weren't attached to my body, heart palpitations, which of course only triggered a panic attack and made it worse. Oh, and it literally didn't even touch my nausea :( Needless to say that was my first and last dose!"

ashpelletier August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Works GREAT getting rid of the nausea I have from taking Fentanyl and Oxicodone."

Drew1204 August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phenergan (promethazine) for Motion Sickness: "Safest, cheapest, anti histamine (it's main function) works very well. It's a good medication for motion sickness. I use injectables and tabs. Seek advice before using any medication."

Max4444 August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was first given this medication after being admitted to the ER with a kidney infection, it is a literal miracle. I have an intense phobia of vomiting which gives me horrible anxiety anytime I feel nauseous (which is often with acid reflux and IBS) which makes the entire situation so much worse, but promethazine is an almost instant life saver. It did make me drowsy when I first started taking it, but that has lessened as time has gone by. It does take a while to completely work (30-60 mins depending on how amped up I am from anxiety) but as soon as I take it I know it's going to help and I am able to calm down and let it go to work. I can't imagine going back to a life where I missed out on work and events because of nausea."

Itsyagirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "Did nothing at all. Took another one, nothing. Very disappointed. After reading these reviews I really thought I'd found something that would help me sleep. Only one person it didn't work for. Guess I'm number two. Typical."

Big H (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "I was given this stuff when in labor as I had felt nauseated I think they put it right into my IV. I vomited anyway, but suddenly didn't care much about it. It relaxed me so much that I fell asleep off and on between labor. Since I also have PTSD along with severe insomnia, I wouldn't mind trying it for sleep. It can't be worse than Ambien, where I usually don't know that I ransacked the kitchen and pillaged everything that I could stuff into my mouth. When I wake up in the morning I find the kitchen in mysterious disorder but have no memory eating anything, or even getting up. At least with Phenergen I wouldn't have to worry about it."

Stuffl (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I have been on Phenergan pills since damage from Brain surgery years ago. It is a life saver! The pills are the only option that works for me. I take it 3-4 times every day. I could not survive without it!"

VegasNerveDamage April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "On 3/23/17 I test positive for stomach flu. Phenergan didn't touch the nausea."

JOANIE55 March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Has anyone experienced sadness after starting to take this drug. I am on 25mg for a few days and feel that it has helped with the nausea a little bit with the anxiety but it has made me sleep all day and feel sad. I normally have trouble getting onto strong meds such as anti depressants but I don't know if this is a case of this or something else. I am scared of becoming depressed."

Yanks950 (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "I can't say this drug has NO effect, but I'm a chronic insomniac and have been treated for it with Xanax or Klonopin for at least the last 20 years. While mild doses of those drugs have induced sleep, when I've desired more sleep than those "benzos" have allowed me, I've tried Promethazine in varied doses, from 12.5 to 75 MGs and it just doesn't induce sleep like I had hoped. It's very effective for reduction of nausea, but I'm lucky if it barely makes me drowsy. Sometimes, even the higher doses had no effect at all. BOTTOM LINE: This med gets great reviews, so it works for some, but I'm proof that it's not effective for EVERYONE."

Hudrion March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I suffer from stomach ulcers and a ton of other stomach problems, and I also have crippling anxiety and depression so I stay nauseated most of the time. It also doesn't help that I have a fear of vomiting. When my dad was still alive (he had cancer) he told me to try promethazine so when I went to the doctor I asked him about it and he told me that it would be a good medication for me. It does make me a bit drowsy but I don't mind since I have insomia anyways. This medication has made my life so much better, I don't know what I'd do without it!"

volcanicmoons (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I do not know what I would do without promethazine! It helps a lot with my nausea which is very severe every day… It does not take it all away, I know… But it does help me enough I have been using this medicine for 11 years via IV centreline"

Momma1967 February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was having nausea due to some of the meds I take for RA. My doctor prescribe promethazine. It really hasn't worked for me. It may decrease the nausea a little but I still feel ill."

RA girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "Before you take this for sleep, particularly if you are giving it to children, please read information about withdrawal. I was taking it for Prozac induced insomnia. Coming off Prozac was easy. Coming off phenergan is awful. It has been likened to coming off opiates. I am on day two. I am hoping by Monday it will be out of system and I can restart my life drug free."

seasideJennifer (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I am 21 yrs of age and have suffered from migraines for nearly 15 yrs now. Phenergan is my go to medication for the nausea and vomiting that sometimes comes along with my headaches. I usually just want to crawl into a dark hole but with this medication I'm able to control my nausea and prevent myself from being sick. It also helps with the stomach pains I sometimes get from taking Excedrin Migraine."

Ceezy29 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "Hated it. Sure enough I slept straight through for 8 hours but I experienced attacks of vertigo for 2 days afterwards. Never again"

Nath W January 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sedation: "I suffer with depression and PTSD. My Psychiatrist didn't want to prescribe Zopiclone as he said it's addictive but told me to try Promethazaine as said it's not addictive and I can take it every night. I found it to be very effective. I do feel quite tired in the morning but that's a small price to pay for continuous sleep. It hasn't stopped the nightmares but I'm getting to sleep quicker and staying asleep longer - definitely worth trying!"

KAnn26 January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Started taking Promethazine at 25mg 3x daily yrs ago then to 4x daily for severe nauseous and vomiting from treatments for cancer and couldn't keep food down at all. I was also on strong pains before & higher w/cancer Oxycodone 30mg 4x day & Morphine 30mg ER twice daily for having 18 fracture vertebrae (8 herniated, 9 bulging had 1 ruptured disc repaired) an separate AC joint in right shoulder an other broken bones an left over bullet & shrapnel fragment in both legs & right foot due to 17yrs US Army 3 Combat tours. I found that the Promethazine didn't always work well as it should've at times I did go over an take couple more of them per day than what was prescribed. Didn't notice if it help w/pain meds. On them again cancer returned."

Nite-Owl December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Light Sedation: "I have been taking Promethazine 25mg tablets as needed for nausea for about 5 years. 1 pill would completely take away my nausea, even if I had the flu. However, the first time taking 1 pill knocked me out. You can build up a tolerance fairly quickly if you take them daily. I also have taken 1 to 2 pills to sleep through the night if im off work the next day because they make me groggy for a few hours the next morning. They don't make me feel "out of it" like Xanax and I have never developed any type of addiction to them either."

Doc Johnson (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I have HG, and I've thrown up almost every hour in the hour. I was hospitalized twice before they finally gave my Promethazine. I wasn't able to keep down the oral medication but I opted finally for the suppositories, and while it takes about 30 minutes for me to feel completely better, it's truly a life saver."

EmmyG October 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Go to medication for nausea Makes you a tiny bit groggy but that side effect goes away.Its been around forever and I mainly use it with Excedrin when I have a migraine to subside the nausea.Only thing that comes near it is zofran and this is over $100 cheaper."

sopranofan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2016