User Reviews for Promethazine

Also known as: Adgan, Anergan 50, Antinaus 50, Phenadoz, Phenazine 50, Phenergan, Phenergan Fortis, Phenoject-50, Pro-Med, Promethegan, V-Gan-25, V-Gan-50

Anaphylaxis

Vertigo
6.6

Summary of Promethazine reviews 8.2 207 reviews

Reviews for Promethazine

For Sedation: "I am in a quandry. For the past 10 months I have taken zopliclone nightly. My psychiatrist wants to wean me off it but any night I haven't taken it I haven't slept. Lack of sleep is detrimental to the stability of my mental health. I have been given choices A. for my quetiapine to be increased to aid my sleep (prob increasing my weight further) or B. to have my zopliclone replaced with promethazine but quite frankly having read the reviews here of people who already have experience with promethazine the reviews don't fill me with confidence that promethazine will be as effective as zopliclone. In an ideal world I'd stay on zopliclone but it isn't my choice and my psychiatrist says I will become tolerant to zopliclone."

McNab (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2018

For Allergic Reactions: "Promthazine is amazing. I have eczema and very bad itchy skin and it gets worse at night time. I take 25mg at around 8pm to stop itching and it starts to work in about 2 hours. It also helps me to fall a sleep which is good. I have been using it for just over a year now and I haven't had any problems. The only side effects that I have got from promethazine is tinnitus and its not pleasant but I can live with it."

alfred (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2018

For Sedation: "Have severe anxiety and was given this to take in the morning and before bed. It worked well the first 2 night's sent me straight to sleep but now It takes hours to fall asleep and I wake during the night many times think this is due to my anxiety being severe and needing a stronger dose. No side effects which is great."

Michelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2018

For Sedation: "For trouble falling asleep (no problem with staying asleep). I work as a heavy machinery operator. Prescribed by my dr. I asked for a short acting sleep aid. 1st attempt- Took at 8pm. Didn't sleep any earlier. Felt strange and disconnected next day until afternoon. 2nd attempt a week later- Taken 10am for nap. Didn't work. But my sinus cough cleared right up- wonderful! Still awake and alert at 6pm I went to dinner. I didn't get my usual red neck flush from beer- then at 8pm I became very drunk and uncontrollably sleepy after 4 beers. I was asleep by 9pm. Results: It stops sinus drip and cough in 30 mins. It prevents face flushing reaction to food and alcohol. It gets a bit sedating after around 10 hours and wears off around 18 hours later. Be very careful with alcohol even many hours later!!! Conclusion: Not useful for getting to sleep. Too long acting. To sleep at 9pm I would need to take it at work in the morning, too risky."

Bean August 29, 2018

For Anaphylaxis: "I just went thru 3 months of idiopathic anaphylaxis. But this time round l also had terribly itchy rashes as well. I had myself hospitalised the first time just to refresh and update new meds. None of the non drowsy antihistamines worked and l had at least 9 Epipen episodes. The Dr put me on a one off 100 mg of cortisone also. Apparently my potassium was low so l got an IV dose of that too. I saw many specialists and none could help. My GP suggested l cut down on food containing histamine, l didn't even know it did. After doing that l had no more anaphylaxis but still got some itchies. Phenergan saved my life"

Celery Neck (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine) for Light Sedation: "I've had trouble sleeping and waking up all night for years tried every natural sleep aid and none work . I won't ever try prescription sleeping pills. I was told about these otc med and they really help. I'm sleeping for longer and not waking . There has been no side effects, so so far so good"

D j (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2018

For Sedation: "This is the worst drug I've ever taken. Headaches, tongue swelling, eye lids swelling and a rash on them. I've got sore legs, sore arms and feel so ill. My doctor took me off Zoplicone and replaced it with this medicine I WOULDNT RECOMEND THIS DRUG TO ANYBODY OR GIVE TO A PATIENT WITH MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS"

skinneruk (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For Opiate Adjunct: "After fracturing my clavicle in six places in a football scrum, I have suffered chronic pain. One of the fractures (where bone is no longer present) never repaired itself. I am currently on Oxycodone 20mg four times a day, Codeine 60mg four times a day and Lyrica (Pregabalin) 300mg twice a day. Was told by my Specialist to go to the chemist and get a box of Promethazine and take 25mg-50mg four times a day to see if it potentiated my analgesia. My goodness has it been a life changer. I am almost at a pain score of 0. Also, given that it is an antihistamine, it removes the itch associated with opiate use. A solid 10/10."

M (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2018

For Sedation: "Great sleeping tablet if you are suffering from anxiety and cannot sleep at night. I am using due to using anti depressant that are causing me insomnia but highly recommend this if you need a decent nights sleep."

Kkkkkw August 4, 2018

For Sedation: "Having suffered torn cruciate ligament this couple of months, I've found phenergan to be a good sedative. I'm a bit worried about long term use, if anyone can help. I've been taking 25mg for the last 8 weeks to aide sleep. Any information would be greatly appreciated."

Kez (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2018

Anergan 50 (promethazine) for Light Sedation: "Only thing that helps me sleep. I cut the 25 mg. In half and that helps me settle down. I also combine that with 0.5 mg of klonopin. I am 77 years old and have suffered with insomnia for many, many years. I do not do well with anti-depressants so I avoid them. Wish I can forgo klonopin but have been on it for 10 years. Should have never started any mind controlling drug."

Dugie (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I occasionally become very nauseous mostly from too much heat (over 85 degrees) This medicine does wonders for me in very short period. Rarely do I require more than one (1) tablet per episode. I am very happy with results over last two (2) years."

possum (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2018

Promethegan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Promethezine is in the class of antihistamines which intensifies Restless Leg Syndrome for me."

superfluousjargon (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I love promethzine. It helps with my PMSing for nausea. I also have horrible emetophobia, definitely comes in handy. I also use it if I have sickness from the flu and motion sickness for planes. I high recommend this drug!"

Jo Ann Rabor (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 25, 2018

For Sedation: "I first used promethazine as 'when required med' when I was inpatient on a psych ward, and found that although it worked and helped calm me down and I stop hurting myself, it made me extremely drowsy. At the same time I was on melatonin but found that even 12mg (more than the highest recommend dose for a child my age) didn't help. I asked my doctor to switch my sleep Meds to a mix of both but he refused as we wouldn't know which one helped. At first he put me on 25mg (of promethazine) but after 2 months I had to have it upped to 50mg as I had grown too tolerant. I am not on melatonin and it works a treat with no side effects. ♡"

Francis (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2018

For Sedation: "This helped me on and off. I used to take sominex which is also promethazine hydrocloride but yeah it doesn't work every time so I suggest you take it now and again with not any more then 2 tablets (50mg). It does help with appetite and can give you that high feeling I remember being on it once and sleeping for like 20 hours"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

For Sedation: "I suffered a head injury and had a really hard time being able to sleep afterwards. After trying Amitryptiline, doxepin nortriptyline without success, Promethazine/phenergan was the answer. It wore off a little after a while and then including 1x Ashwagandha 300mg (herbal supplement) it regains a good effect and have been able to reduce the dose from 25mg to 10mg. Takes about 1 hour to take effect. Is especially good to keep you asleep during night."

Dude (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "I have restarted taking 3 months ago, after coming off amitriptyline cold turkey. These are more suited as you can take most cold and flu medication without issues, which was always a issue. The tablets take effect quickly (1.5 hours) first started on 50mg per night now down to 30mg due to tablets now making me more sleepy during the day time than before. I would recommend these to any anxiety or insomnia suffer as they do not have neuro side effects like other sleepers."

K (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2018

For Sedation: "Just doesn't work. I was switched over from 15mg of zopiclone to 50mg Promethazine and I can't sleep at all. At least my skin's not all itchy from tossing and turning all night."

AJ (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2018

For Sedation: "I took 50mgs of the promethazine for sleep, it took at least 2 hours to start working. Once it kicked in I was beyond tired, I fell asleep in my bed for about an hour and woke up, I got up to head outside for a cigarette I got dizzy and laid on my living room floor and was out for another good hour. After getting back to bed fell asleep for like 5 hours and woke up drenched in sweat having to change clothes, sheets etc. Overall worked good to go to sleep besides the sweating side effects and feeling fuzzy after its worn off. Most likely would not take again due to the sweats."

Corolian March 16, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Every time I get sick, whichever virus I contact seems to attack my stomach. No diarrhea or anything, Just constant puking. I would go to the clinic knowing what I wanted, which was promethazine, and after 3 hours and about $130, I get my promethazine prescription. My question is: Why is it a prescription drug in the 1st place? It's not abusive. Sure, it can make you sleepy, but so can Nyquil. My answer is the fact that it keeps clinics and a good amount of doctors in business. If people can cure themselves, what do we need to go to the doctor for? In more ways than good, our healthcare system has twice as many drawbacks than benefits for the people. Just think about it."

Uncontrollably puking (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2018

For Sedation: "This drug works for insomnia but it seems to have a very long half life and I feel groggy the next day, plus it also gives me depression which can linger for at least a couple of days after taking it, depression is a common side effect of antihistamines especially the strongest anticholinergic ones like Promethazine/Phenergan."

JohnC (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "My expectations were higher re treatment of nausea. Gas pain."

marksaxton (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2018

For Sedation: "I have been taking phenergan for insomnia and find it works great, I have had trouble sleeping most nights for a few months mostly due to being wired up at bedtime I have random thoughts running through my mind when I lie down which stops me sleeping and then I get anxious about not sleeping which then prolongs the time taken to fall asleep but Phenergan seems to calm my mind because of it's sedative properties. I take a 25-50mg doseage and 30 to 45 mins later I begin to relax and feel drowsy enough to fall asleep, I get a good 6 or 7 hours sleep on them, overall these tablets work for me. Only side effects have been dry mouth and groggy in the morning but those are better than getting no sleep at all."

Gareth1985 December 11, 2017

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Promethazine is a lifesaver. I'm 26yrs old and was diagnosed with Acute Renal Failure 8 months ago. My main symptom was extreme nausea and vomiting. I've had to take a plastic bag with me everytime I left the house and was in the ER about 7 times since the diagnosis for dehydration.The doctors give me 3 medications( including Zofran, which I took and was no match for the vomiting). Things were looking pretty grim, my psychological and physical health was going downhill until I was prescribed promethazine. I took it for 2 days and bam, all the vomiting and nauseousness was gone. I stopped taking it and felt fine. It's now 3 months later and the vomiting is back, I know just what I'll be taking now."

Chickflick (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2017