User Reviews for Promethazine systemic

Also known as: Adgan, Anergan 50, Antinaus 50, Phenadoz, Phenazine 50, Phenergan, Phenergan Fortis, Phenoject-50, Pro-Med, Promethegan, V-Gan-25, V-Gan-50

Anaphylaxis

Vertigo
6.6

Summary of Promethazine reviews 8.2 213 reviews

Reviews for Promethazine

Phenergan (promethazine) for Light Sedation: "I use whenever I want to ensure a good night's, uninterrupted, non-fitful sleep. Seems to work every time. A relative, and a neighbour I know, have similar success."

Jack (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 2, 2019

Phenergan (promethazine) for Urticaria: "Chronic Hives - 25mg works well after desloratidine ceased working for me. Side effects of sedation, lethargy, falling asleep very quickly (sometimes inappropriately), dry eyes & mouth. (If I was working and not retired, the side effects may not have been manageable)"

Yarbdor December 9, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "I took 3x 25mg Phenergan too help me sleep the next morning I woke up covered in bumps & bruises apparently I had a grand Mal seizure through the night I haven't had a fit in 9 yrs. The chemist failed to tell me this drug can bring on seizures. Just want other people to know about this as I was unaware... Thanks"

Shygirl84 December 8, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Because of chronic pain due to Spina Bifida, scoliosis, osteomyelitis, etc. etc. I abused (sorry) aspirin for many years, actually under a Doc's supervision because it was better than pain medications, and I destroyed my stomach even needing blood transfusions. So now, I am off all but one aspirin a day, but need to take antibiotics and blood pressure medicine, and what pain meds the state allows, so by nighttime my stomach is pretty raw. I swear by promethazine as being the only med I have ever taken that completely flatlines nausea and allows me to eat a meal. With promethazine, I gained back the 22 pounds I lost during my battle with MRSA. It does make you sleepy, and some people say it feels a little like a small dose of hydrocodone."

Silence the Conquerer December 3, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "Has anyone had weight gain with Phenergen 25mg? I've put on 5 kilos quickly since using this & another drug, Valdoxen. Valdoxen helps which your melatonin receptors, is also an antidepressant, & says you do not put weight on. Not sure which one it is! Phenergen does say it can cause weight gain, esp in females, but they are not sure why. Though they state it's thought it can make you hungry thus you eat more. This isn't the case for me. I've been eating & exercising normally so something is going on. It's fabulous for sleep though, I finally get a great sleep. Confused!!"

Kelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I have had generic phenergan for years. Anxiety and migraines for years. Then came compazine and I thought I was going to jump out of my skin, agitation, aggressive definitely not for me. Then Zofran which did absolutely nothing! Was diagnosed with chronic pain syndrome after cervical discectomy with fusion, then another surgery. Had s pain pump inserted and I was vomitin like there was no tomorrow. My pain doctor prescribed promethazine and a muscle relaxer and said the combination would stop the nausea and the promethazine would also work well at reducing the pain. I’m long passed being drowsy and it is a miracle drug for me. I wouldn’t have any quality of life without it."

DeDe (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 28, 2018

For Sedation: "Used this for the last 4/5 weeks. I tried this as it was a solution that I could get over the counter. I take 1 x 25mg per night (packaging says you can take up to 2 x 25mg) and I don’t have any side effects. Sleep deep, hear my alarm and I feel fine the next day. I have had other over the counter sleeping tablets and this is far best! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!"

Scottyboi (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2018

For Sedation: "I am in a quandry. For the past 10 months I have taken zopliclone nightly. My psychiatrist wants to wean me off it but any night I haven't taken it I haven't slept. Lack of sleep is detrimental to the stability of my mental health. I have been given choices A. for my quetiapine to be increased to aid my sleep (prob increasing my weight further) or B. to have my zopliclone replaced with promethazine but quite frankly having read the reviews here of people who already have experience with promethazine the reviews don't fill me with confidence that promethazine will be as effective as zopliclone. In an ideal world I'd stay on zopliclone but it isn't my choice and my psychiatrist says I will become tolerant to zopliclone."

McNab (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2018

For Allergic Reactions: "Promthazine is amazing. I have eczema and very bad itchy skin and it gets worse at night time. I take 25mg at around 8pm to stop itching and it starts to work in about 2 hours. It also helps me to fall a sleep which is good. I have been using it for just over a year now and I haven't had any problems. The only side effects that I have got from promethazine is tinnitus and its not pleasant but I can live with it."

alfred (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2018

For Sedation: "Have severe anxiety and was given this to take in the morning and before bed. It worked well the first 2 night's sent me straight to sleep but now It takes hours to fall asleep and I wake during the night many times think this is due to my anxiety being severe and needing a stronger dose. No side effects which is great."

Michelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2018

For Sedation: "For trouble falling asleep (no problem with staying asleep). I work as a heavy machinery operator. Prescribed by my dr. I asked for a short acting sleep aid. 1st attempt- Took at 8pm. Didn't sleep any earlier. Felt strange and disconnected next day until afternoon. 2nd attempt a week later- Taken 10am for nap. Didn't work. But my sinus cough cleared right up- wonderful! Still awake and alert at 6pm I went to dinner. I didn't get my usual red neck flush from beer- then at 8pm I became very drunk and uncontrollably sleepy after 4 beers. I was asleep by 9pm. Results: It stops sinus drip and cough in 30 mins. It prevents face flushing reaction to food and alcohol. It gets a bit sedating after around 10 hours and wears off around 18 hours later. Be very careful with alcohol even many hours later!!! Conclusion: Not useful for getting to sleep. Too long acting. To sleep at 9pm I would need to take it at work in the morning, too risky."

Bean August 29, 2018

For Anaphylaxis: "I just went thru 3 months of idiopathic anaphylaxis. But this time round l also had terribly itchy rashes as well. I had myself hospitalised the first time just to refresh and update new meds. None of the non drowsy antihistamines worked and l had at least 9 Epipen episodes. The Dr put me on a one off 100 mg of cortisone also. Apparently my potassium was low so l got an IV dose of that too. I saw many specialists and none could help. My GP suggested l cut down on food containing histamine, l didn't even know it did. After doing that l had no more anaphylaxis but still got some itchies. Phenergan saved my life"

Celery Neck (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine) for Light Sedation: "I've had trouble sleeping and waking up all night for years tried every natural sleep aid and none work . I won't ever try prescription sleeping pills. I was told about these otc med and they really help. I'm sleeping for longer and not waking . There has been no side effects, so so far so good"

D j (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2018

For Sedation: "This is the worst drug I've ever taken. Headaches, tongue swelling, eye lids swelling and a rash on them. I've got sore legs, sore arms and feel so ill. My doctor took me off Zoplicone and replaced it with this medicine I WOULDNT RECOMEND THIS DRUG TO ANYBODY OR GIVE TO A PATIENT WITH MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS"

skinneruk (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For Opiate Adjunct: "After fracturing my clavicle in six places in a football scrum, I have suffered chronic pain. One of the fractures (where bone is no longer present) never repaired itself. I am currently on Oxycodone 20mg four times a day, Codeine 60mg four times a day and Lyrica (Pregabalin) 300mg twice a day. Was told by my Specialist to go to the chemist and get a box of Promethazine and take 25mg-50mg four times a day to see if it potentiated my analgesia. My goodness has it been a life changer. I am almost at a pain score of 0. Also, given that it is an antihistamine, it removes the itch associated with opiate use. A solid 10/10."

M (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2018

For Sedation: "Great sleeping tablet if you are suffering from anxiety and cannot sleep at night. I am using due to using anti depressant that are causing me insomnia but highly recommend this if you need a decent nights sleep."

Kkkkkw August 4, 2018

For Sedation: "Having suffered torn cruciate ligament this couple of months, I've found phenergan to be a good sedative. I'm a bit worried about long term use, if anyone can help. I've been taking 25mg for the last 8 weeks to aide sleep. Any information would be greatly appreciated."

Kez (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2018

Anergan 50 (promethazine) for Light Sedation: "Only thing that helps me sleep. I cut the 25 mg. In half and that helps me settle down. I also combine that with 0.5 mg of klonopin. I am 77 years old and have suffered with insomnia for many, many years. I do not do well with anti-depressants so I avoid them. Wish I can forgo klonopin but have been on it for 10 years. Should have never started any mind controlling drug."

Dugie (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I occasionally become very nauseous mostly from too much heat (over 85 degrees) This medicine does wonders for me in very short period. Rarely do I require more than one (1) tablet per episode. I am very happy with results over last two (2) years."

possum (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2018

Promethegan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Promethezine is in the class of antihistamines which intensifies Restless Leg Syndrome for me."

superfluousjargon (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I love promethzine. It helps with my PMSing for nausea. I also have horrible emetophobia, definitely comes in handy. I also use it if I have sickness from the flu and motion sickness for planes. I high recommend this drug!"

Jo Ann Rabor (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 25, 2018

For Sedation: "I first used promethazine as 'when required med' when I was inpatient on a psych ward, and found that although it worked and helped calm me down and I stop hurting myself, it made me extremely drowsy. At the same time I was on melatonin but found that even 12mg (more than the highest recommend dose for a child my age) didn't help. I asked my doctor to switch my sleep Meds to a mix of both but he refused as we wouldn't know which one helped. At first he put me on 25mg (of promethazine) but after 2 months I had to have it upped to 50mg as I had grown too tolerant. I am not on melatonin and it works a treat with no side effects. ♡"

Francis (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2018

For Sedation: "This helped me on and off. I used to take sominex which is also promethazine hydrocloride but yeah it doesn't work every time so I suggest you take it now and again with not any more then 2 tablets (50mg). It does help with appetite and can give you that high feeling I remember being on it once and sleeping for like 20 hours"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

For Sedation: "I suffered a head injury and had a really hard time being able to sleep afterwards. After trying Amitryptiline, doxepin nortriptyline without success, Promethazine/phenergan was the answer. It wore off a little after a while and then including 1x Ashwagandha 300mg (herbal supplement) it regains a good effect and have been able to reduce the dose from 25mg to 10mg. Takes about 1 hour to take effect. Is especially good to keep you asleep during night."

Dude (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "I have restarted taking 3 months ago, after coming off amitriptyline cold turkey. These are more suited as you can take most cold and flu medication without issues, which was always a issue. The tablets take effect quickly (1.5 hours) first started on 50mg per night now down to 30mg due to tablets now making me more sleepy during the day time than before. I would recommend these to any anxiety or insomnia suffer as they do not have neuro side effects like other sleepers."

K (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2018