User Reviews for Promethazine

Also known as: Phenergan, Promethegan, Anergan 50, Adgan, Antinaus 50 Phenadoz

Promethazine has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 292 ratings on Drugs.com. 71% of those users who reviewed Promethazine reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Nausea/Vomiting   8.6
Sedation   6.2
Summary of Promethazine reviews 7.6 292 reviews

Reviews for Promethazine

Ginger March 4, 2021

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Absolutely the best thing for n/v when taken correctly. I have had Zofran which for me did absolutely nothing. When I am throwing up I want to go to sleep. I know it is caustic when given incorrectly into the vein. When mixed properly and administered slowly it is a wonderful drug for N/V.”

Jess · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2021

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I was given this to take for severe nausea while pregnant. The first time I took it, it helped me sleep through the night but didn’t really help with the nausea. The next two days that I took it I realized it made me have TERRIBLE mood swings and I felt like I was drugged up the following day :( I could barely function. I will not continue taking this medication.”

Marts February 8, 2021

For Sedation: “Experience on promethazine 25mg: slept undisturbed for a good 10 hours, found it super difficult to wake up, had to battle with my body to open my eyes and all I wanted to do was carry on sleeping. Kept on falling back asleep and waking up. Felt sedated and tired all day afterwards. Experience on 12.5mg (approx) splitting the pill in half: Slept for a long time, but still had negative side effects when waking up, I was very angry at my partner who tired to wake me up as I just wanted to carry on sleeping. Felt tired during the day also, but not as bad. I find that my optimal dose is about 1/3 of the tablet - it helps me sleep and the side effects of tiredness aren’t as bad in the morning. I do still experience agitation when woken up by someone else and would rather carry on sleeping but it isn’t as severe and usually after 20 mins or so I’m fully awake. The sedation/tiredness feeling during the day isn’t as prominent.”

Shelly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 4, 2021

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: “I took two to get some sleep as I suffer from insomnia and we had a family gathering the following day. Still hadn't fallen asleep by 5am so took another one. Family turned up, I don't remember. I thought there were worms crawling in my carpet, I was talking to a mop which I thought was a person, thought I saw millions of baby spiders on the walls. I lost track of about 36 hours and was hallucinating the entire time! After doing an internet search, I found out they can cause hallucinations! They should have it on the box. I wrote to the company but never heard back. I was so embarrassed and felt humiliated in front of my family. At one stage they phoned for an ambulance. PLEASE be careful with them.”

Mocca · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

For Sedation: “Doesn’t work for me. Not helping me sleep at all.”

Ms deann08 · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2021

For Sedation: “I do not like it as it makes me feel lightheaded for a long period of time and can't get out of bed. It was prescribed for a sinus infection”

Kaz · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2020

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: “My partner was prescribed 25mg to take each night as he wasn't sleeping. The first night he took one it wiped him out and he was soaking with sweat. I had to help him get undressed and into bed he was that drowsy. The next day he looked drugged up. Then the second night he took another and never woke up, he passed away in his sleep. I thought he was just sleeping until I found him. The post mortem came back un-ascertained and I have been told it will take anywhere between 6-8mnths to get an answer however this is the only new medication he had taken. His other meds he took regularly so I blame this. Please be careful with this drug.”

Maggy 82 December 9, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I absolutely love phenergan for things like nausea and sedation. I was even given it as a child, back in the 80’s, to help me sleep as a result of my ADHD. Unfortunately, the colouring on it (blue), gives me chronic heartburn, within minutes of taking it. This in turn makes the Nausea even worse. Most of my nausea is anxiety induced. I took one, an hour ago, and because of the colour of the pill, it induced a massive wave of heartburn and nausea and I was just sick on myself, within minutes of taking it. Also, I get the most horrendous restless leg with it, to the point I cry. Despite the heartburn, what has just happened and the restless leg, I still take it because it works.”

Tanka · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2020

Phenergan (promethazine) for Allergic Reactions: “Since I have been taking phenergan I haven’t snored, wife is very impressed”

Now can sleep · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 30, 2020

For Light Sedation: “promethazine is my magic pilll that enables me to sleep. I awake in the morning so calm my head clear and focused.”

JohnSmith · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 29, 2020

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: “I took 25mg Phenergan to help me sleep. It worked! I've been taking it for almost 2 years but only recently realized, when I stopped taking it, that it was causing me to have a low mood and a REALLY dry mouth to the point where I needed a drink with me at every meeting because it would affect my speech. When I stopped taking it, I woke up 4-5 times in the night, which is normal given I've got small children, but woke in the morning feeling a lot more clear-headed, less headaches and didn't have the need to guzzle glasses of water! Pharmacists only ever warned of drowsiness but not these side effects so wanted to share them with everyone! This medicine will get you to sleep, but it comes with a significant cost!”

Lynn · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 28, 2020

For Sedation: “I been taking this medicine for 2 years for my IBS which is very very bad and I get it around 3 am I wake up with stomach spasm so bad feels like having a baby with no medicine for pain, I passed out plenty of times because of how bad the pain gets so my Gastro doctor give me promethazine and the good part is I don’t have to take it every day sometimes I only take it once or twice within a year but it works good just it’s hard for me to wake up if I take it at 3am I don’t wake up till 8pm the next day I love how it works but I hate can’t wake up”

Anxiousgirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2020

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I have panic disorder, so when stressed out I get very nauseous and frequently throw up. The pandemic made my episodes more frequent so I went to my doctor. Zofran had no effect on me so they prescribed this pill. It totally cures the nausea. I do get a bit drowsy but since I take it when I’m hyped on adrenaline anyway it’s usually a relief. I only need 1/4 of a pill, which I take an hour or so before eating or if I feel like a panic attack is coming on. I gave it 9 just because it doesn’t help if I take it right when I feel like I’m going to throw up, you need to take it preemptively. But despite this I would recommend this to anyone who gets nauseous due to anxiety! I love that it has no side effects and it has helped so much in my recovery.”

LR · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2020

For Sedation: “Promethazine did not help me sleep at all. It did make my asthma worse.”

En October 13, 2020

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: “OMG it helps me so much it is so good for me to use when I can’t sleep I have to wake up very early every morning and it helps me get better rest faster at night”

Megan · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2020

For Sedation: “Horrible: Did its job for sedation but knocked me out for 16 hours after I had already had a full nights sleep. I ended up going to the hospital because it was such an adverse effect my neighbours couldn't wake me up properly when they came to check on me, I couldn't hear them calling me. The hospital added it to my allergy list. A few days after I started having extremely strong panic attacks, I had never had them before and put it down to Phenergan. I've read other reviews mentioning increased anxiety after taking it. It doesn't work for everybody.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2020

For Sedation: “Have taken promethazine for 3 nights, have been struggling to sleep for a couple months now. Has done nothing but give me a slight headache around my temples. If anything I feel like this has kept me awake.”

Marts · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2020

For Sedation: “I started taking this a while back to help me sleep. It works in a funny way, doesn’t help me fall asleep, but once I’m asleep - it’s hard to wake up. I take half of a 25mg pill most times, if I take the full pill, I feel quite drowsy and extremely tired the next day. Maybe it’s cause I’m quite small though. Could quite literally sleep through the day. It surely does work though.”

Mom2b · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I have had severe hyperemesis throughout my entire pregnancy. I lose over 40 pounds and couldn’t even keep any water down. I tried so many different medications and combinations of medications and nothing seemed to work. Since being on Promethazine suppositories (as well as liquid zofran and reglan) I have been able to gain enough weight for my baby to grow and I am able to get some sleep with it as well.”

Sal · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 13, 2020

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: “I suffer PMS and insomnia. I tried all types of herbs and supplement sleep aids even Melatonin with worked for me for a couple of nights but d be back to the same thing waking up at 3am or not sleeping more than 3 hours a night. My Gp told me about Phenergan. I took the 25mg 2 hours before bed for 5 nights and it 100% worked . Able to carry over month by month with great sleep. Wonder drug thank you Phenergan my friend”

June · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2020

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I have Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING for my nausea. Zofran, Omeprazole, Dramamine, etc. You name it, I've tried it. Nothing could stop my violent vomiting episodes. Phenergan suppositories are the only thing that could ever put a stop to my nausea and vomiting. The only problem is, it makes me very very tired, so I can hardly function in classes if I have to take it during the day. But I'll take being a little "out of it" over being so sick any day!”

Alex · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 2, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “gastroparesis Has kicked my butt for years, but this promethazine is a life saver. I only take 1/4 tablet otherwise I’m knocked out the whole day. Dries me up like a raisin, need to drink a gallon of water it seems, but without this I’d be in a world of pain. I also wake up starving. Which is better than the alternative of feeling sick for days.”

Mary August 13, 2020

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: “Please be careful with these. About 3 years ago I took some to get a few hours sleep. I had to ask the Pharmacist for them as they were kept behind the counter. I got the 25mg’s and had no idea how strong they were. I’m embarrassed and still feel humiliated with what happened. I took 2 at first, I honestly thought they would just give me a few hours sleep and nothing else. I was hallucinating!! I won’t go into great details but I thought my family were in the house with me, they weren’t. My family and neighbour told me some of the things I did. They ended up calling an ambulance. I wrote to the company and also did a long internet search which I discovered that one rare side effect was in fact hallucinating. Please be careful with them. A big lesson learnt, always take as prescribed.”

Blin · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 2, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Awesome drug”

HD · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2020

For Sedation: “My physician of three years thought it wise to change from Ambien 10 mg to Phenergan 25 mg for no apparent reason other than he feared Ambien dependency. Well yes I have primary insomnia per a sleep study, prescribed Ambien 10 mg and it has worked well for 19 years. Never needed to increase the dose. The Phenergan/ promethazine 12.5 mg took the face off my head. Yes I slept but 20 hours later am still looking for my face, that is, I am hungover with mild cognitive impairment so as not to be able to drive. For some the side effects aren't worth the sleep. I am one of those. It's back to the Ambien 10 mg or a new doctor.”