User Reviews for Promethazine to treat Nausea/Vomiting

Also known as: Phenergan, Promethegan, Phenadoz, Anergan 50, Adgan Antinaus 50

Promethazine has an average rating of 8.4 out of 10 from a total of 144 ratings for the treatment of Nausea/Vomiting. 82% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Promethazine Rating Summary

8.4/10 average rating

Compare all 170 medications used in the treatment of Nausea/Vomiting.

Reviews for Promethazine

Anxiousgirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2020

Phenergan (promethazine): “I have panic disorder, so when stressed out I get very nauseous and frequently throw up. The pandemic made my episodes more frequent so I went to my doctor. Zofran had no effect on me so they prescribed this pill. It totally cures the nausea. I do get a bit drowsy but since I take it when I’m hyped on adrenaline anyway it’s usually a relief. I only need 1/4 of a pill, which I take an hour or so before eating or if I feel like a panic attack is coming on. I gave it 9 just because it doesn’t help if I take it right when I feel like I’m going to throw up, you need to take it preemptively. But despite this I would recommend this to anyone who gets nauseous due to anxiety! I love that it has no side effects and it has helped so much in my recovery.”

June · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2020

Phenergan (promethazine): “I have Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING for my nausea. Zofran, Omeprazole, Dramamine, etc. You name it, I've tried it. Nothing could stop my violent vomiting episodes. Phenergan suppositories are the only thing that could ever put a stop to my nausea and vomiting. The only problem is, it makes me very very tired, so I can hardly function in classes if I have to take it during the day. But I'll take being a little "out of it" over being so sick any day!”

barney071114 · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2021

“I am pregnant and my doctor prescribed me promethazine for the nausea. I was a little apprehensive to take it because taking any medication while pregnant can be risky I feel. Anyway my nausea was so bad one day I decided to take one and it totally wiped me out. I was exhausted, and could have slept forever. At first I didn't want to take it again, but the next day I noticed my anxiety was calmer. I have severe PTSD and anxiety and upon finding out I was pregnant I stopped taking my meds for it (klonopin). They aren't safe, but I had been miserable since stopping. I just lived in complete panic/fear. I realized when I take just 1/4 of the promethazine tab my doc prescribed me for nausea my panic attack subsides and I can function a bit more normally. I only do this when I absolutely need it, but its a relief to me knowing that if I do panic I can at least take something to calm me down that my doctor approves of and is said to be safe for pregnant women.”

Jose12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2016

Phenergan (promethazine): “I was suffering with nausea caused by panic disorder, anxiety, and depression, my physician prescribed me zofran at first, but I did not like the side effect of major constipation. Thus I told my doctor "is there any other MEDs for nausea", he prescribed me phenergan and it's a miracle drug. My nausea is now barely present.”

atypicalzacko · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 4, 2020

“For decades, I've dealt with nausea (with & without vomiting). At times it resembles motion sickness, occurring as a passenger in certain vehicles, but most commonly I simply experience an onset of nausea. It dates back to early childhood (now age 39). Two meds effectively treat it for me: ondansetron (Zofran) & promethazine (Phenergan). I opt for promethazine due to price & versatility. If I sense the onset of nausea, I take just 6.25mg (thanks to bi-scored tablets) & proactively treat it. Likewise, if I'm nauseated to the point of being unable to function, I can take 12.5, 18.75 or 25mg- depending on circumstance. I have no significant side effects. It can cause drowsiness (in me) but only sedates if I lie down to sleep. I've taken 25mg many times & gone about my day. I also find it helpful for certain allergies. Its versatile & I love that I can tailor the dose precisely & depend on it. I've been prescribed for a decade, though only find it necessary 5-7 times a month, on average.”

Mommasick June 20, 2014

Phenergan (promethazine): “I have used this medication many times for nausea. It always helps quickly and completely. The only reason it does not get a perfect score is that it knocks me out! I'll be groggy for the rest of the day even with only one dose.”

Robinowitz September 14, 2013

Phenergan (promethazine): “I'm going through chemo (Taxol and Carboplatin) for ovarian cancer and Phenergan is great. I sometimes also take Zofran with it because they affect two totally different receptors causing the nausea and both together usually stops the ever present nausea.”

LauraLab1 May 13, 2013

Phenergan (promethazine): “I have chronic pancreatitis and often have persistent nausea and vomiting. I have tried Zofran and a couple of other medications for this but none are as effective as Phenergan. Whether orally or I.V., it takes away the nausea. I have a GJ tube for enteral nutrition. Vomiting can cause the tube to twist and slide out of place so it's imperative to keep it under control. Phenergan does that for me. It also helps with the side effects from the painkillers I must take every day (oxycodone and Dilaudid). I don't know where I would be without it. Phenergan may be old school but it works for me better than any newer medicine.”

MamaBear · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2020

“This med is a lifesaver. I take 25mgs when I get super nauseous and it takes it away in 10 to 15 mins. Idk about the making you sleepy part because it doesn't do that to me. However, it gets a 10 on the nausea factor alone.”

Mom2b · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2020

“I have had severe hyperemesis throughout my entire pregnancy. I lose over 40 pounds and couldn’t even keep any water down. I tried so many different medications and combinations of medications and nothing seemed to work. Since being on Promethazine suppositories (as well as liquid zofran and reglan) I have been able to gain enough weight for my baby to grow and I am able to get some sleep with it as well.”

Anonymous November 4, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine): “I was diagnosed with H Pylori and I was throwing up and nauseated every day for an entire month finally I was hospitalized and they gave me phenergran and God Bless the person who created this drug. Even now when I feel the slightest bit of nausea I take it and it'll knock me out and wake up feeling great”

Woozy · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2019

Phenergan (promethazine): “Had an outpatient procedure and put into a “twilight sedation”, with additional pain meds through the IV although I can’t recall what that was. The pain meds caused me terrible nausea, and dizziness. I was given a dose of Zofran and a motion sickness patch before surgery to try and prevent this as I get nauseous from pain meds so easily...that didn’t work. I was given 12.5 mg of phenergran and 15 minutes later symptoms had improved greatly. I was able to get dressed and start on my way home, although the nausea was still present somewhat due to the motion of the car ride home. Hit the bed and slept like a rock for four hours, felt sleepy the rest of the evening. Blood pressure did go up some as well, 132/88. Took my usual Beta blocker at bedtime that helped my bp come down.”

Katy · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2020

“This drug is HORRIBLE! I've never done crack, but I imagine this is what they experience-after a short period of sleep, I awoke and was crawling out of my skin! I couldn't stay still( even though I was tired and wanted to), I was compelled to walk circles in my room, then jump on the bed and continuously kick my legs in the air and in circles! This drug is TERRIBLE, especially when Zofran is available!”

Bethviolet222 July 30, 2016

“I love this drug. I suffer with severe fear of vomiting and after getting prescribed it for insomnia I was over the moon. Not only does it help me sleep. It calms me down and stops all my anxiety nausea :) been taking it a few times a week for about a year and it's helped me out massively. Only bad point Is grogginess the next day but it's so worth it”

Dee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 11, 2021

“I went to the ER with severe nausea and anxiety. Usually IV zofran works when I have a bout but not this time. So the doctor tried compazine which did not work either. I was then admitted that evening and one of the residents felt that I should be given 25 mg of promethazine. It took away the nausea completely and I was able to sleep. They sent me home the next day with a prescription but I found that taking a whole 25mg pill knocked me out and I was groggy the whole day. I tried taking half but was still groggy. So now when I get nauseous I take only a quarter and it takes away the nausea without that zombie feeling.”

S.laz September 24, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine): “I tried this medicine a day after I vomited three times and had that nausea feeling and that next day I vomited once in the morning but when I went to the medical centre they gave me the prescription for phenergan. I fell asleep instantly for two hours and a half and woke up refreshed and my stomach did not hurt for the rest of the day and I didn't vomit ever since. It's the best medicine for nausea and vomiting.”

Uncontrollably puking · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2018

“Every time I get sick, whichever virus I contact seems to attack my stomach. No diarrhea or anything, Just constant puking. I would go to the clinic knowing what I wanted, which was promethazine, and after 3 hours and about $130, I get my promethazine prescription. My question is: Why is it a prescription drug in the 1st place? It's not abusive. Sure, it can make you sleepy, but so can Nyquil. My answer is the fact that it keeps clinics and a good amount of doctors in business. If people can cure themselves, what do we need to go to the doctor for? In more ways than good, our healthcare system has twice as many drawbacks than benefits for the people. Just think about it.”

Jo Ann Rabor · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 25, 2018

“I love promethzine. It helps with my PMSing for nausea. I also have horrible emetophobia, definitely comes in handy. I also use it if I have sickness from the flu and motion sickness for planes. I high recommend this drug!”

mommy to be · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 28, 2015

“This medicine saved my life I had severe nausea couldn't keep anything down. I was at the point where I thought this pregnancy would kill me but my doc introduced me to this medicine and it changed my life. I love it and I always keep it around”

Rae · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 23, 2019

“I love promethazine. It works for me every time. I prefer to take 12.5 mg as the 25 mg make me sleep for darn near 13-15 hours every time, no matter how often I take them! I usually break my 25 in half if my Dr prescribes them instead of 12.5. Have been on this medication for 3 years and hopefully my body never builds up a tolerance to it. Works so well for my crohn's symptoms.”

Ginger March 4, 2021

“Absolutely the best thing for n/v when taken correctly. I have had Zofran which for me did absolutely nothing. When I am throwing up I want to go to sleep. I know it is caustic when given incorrectly into the vein. When mixed properly and administered slowly it is a wonderful drug for N/V.”

Yanks950 · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2017

Phenergan (promethazine): “Has anyone experienced sadness after starting to take this drug. I am on 25mg for a few days and feel that it has helped with the nausea a little bit with the anxiety but it has made me sleep all day and feel sad. I normally have trouble getting onto strong meds such as anti depressants but I don't know if this is a case of this or something else. I am scared of becoming depressed.”

AmeKaye June 3, 2016

Phenergan (promethazine): “I was prescribed phenergan after having my wisdom teeth removed. When I got home, I immediately fell asleep (still under the influence of the anesthesia). Upon waking and attempting to stand, I began to heave and vomit profusely, but after laying back down and taking phenergan, my symptoms were gone nearly instantly. Would definitely recommend; phenergan was an important part of my recovery!”

EmmyG October 5, 2016

“I have HG, and I've thrown up almost every hour in the hour. I was hospitalized twice before they finally gave my Promethazine. I wasn't able to keep down the oral medication but I opted finally for the suppositories, and while it takes about 30 minutes for me to feel completely better, it's truly a life saver.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2019

“I was prescribed this for morning sickness. It certainly did relieve the nausea, but it knocked me out for six-eight hours shortly after taking it. I tried taking it before bed instead of during the day and slept really well, but still felt really groggy in the morning and kept falling back to sleep. In the end I moved to another med so I didn't feel so drowsy.”

Learn more about Nausea/Vomiting