User Reviews for Promethazine

Also known as: Adgan, Anergan 50, Antinaus 50, Phenadoz, Phenazine 50, Phenergan, Phenergan Fortis, Phenoject-50, Pro-Med, Promethegan, V-Gan-25, V-Gan-50

Learn more about Promethazine.

Promethazine Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 210 medications used in the treatment of Nausea/Vomiting.

Reviews for Promethazine to treat Nausea/Vomiting

"I love this drug. I suffer with severe fear of vomiting and after getting prescribed it for insomnia I was over the moon. Not only does it help me sleep. It calms me down and stops all my anxiety nausea :) been taking it a few times a week for about a year and it's helped me out massively. Only bad point Is grogginess the next day but it's so worth it"

Bethviolet222 July 30, 2016

"My doctor prescribed it when i had my wisdom teeth removed. But even after that i was nauseated every time i ate so depending how bad it was i would take the phenergan. It would help alot and put me to sleep. Only one time it took longer then expected. But overall its very good."

Anonymous July 23, 2016

"By far the best anti nausea medication. I've had Zofran, Hydroxyzine, and some over the counter stuff, nothing compares to Promethazine. It takes about 30-60 minutes to fully peak, once it does.. It works wonders. Zofran is good for on the spot nausea, to work fast. But if you have chronic nausea, Promethazine works both ways!"

All-Promethazine (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 17, 2016

"Although I prefer Zofran melt aways because it melts in your mouth and doesn't require you to drink anything (which can cause vomiting when your already sick) I love Phenergan! It works longer and although not as fast it works better. I use it for nausea and as a sleep aid because of side effects from other medications. It does lower your blood pressure which is a side effect I don't mind because of my constant high BP and the side effects of the BP meds.it's very effective and almost every insurance will cover the cost (zophran is rarely covered) overall I don't take it everyday but it's safe for me to say that I've had no bad side effects from prolonged use."

Penniesfromheavon (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2016

Phenergan (promethazine): "I was suffering with nausea caused by panic disorder, anxiety, and depression, my physician prescribed me zofran at first, but I did not like the side effect of major constipation. Thus I told my doctor "is there any other MEDs for nausea", he prescribed me phenergan and it's a miracle drug. My nausea is now barely present."

Jose12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2016

Phenergan (promethazine): "I was prescribed phenergan after having my wisdom teeth removed. When I got home, I immediately fell asleep (still under the influence of the anesthesia). Upon waking and attempting to stand, I began to heave and vomit profusely, but after laying back down and taking phenergan, my symptoms were gone nearly instantly. Would definitely recommend; phenergan was an important part of my recovery!"

AmeKaye June 3, 2016

"While in the hospital, I was suffering from nausea and vomiting. Since I could not keep anything down because of the vomiting, I was given Zofran via IV. It worked quickly and controlled my nausea and vomiting. I was given a prescription for Zofran when I was discharged. When the vomiting began again at home, I was unable to hold down the Zofran long enough for it to work. My doctor called in a script for Phenergan (promethazine) rectal suppositories. I found that they worked almost as quickly as the IV Zofran and actually did a better job controlling the nausea and vomiting. As mentioned in other reviews, both the pills and suppositories can make you a bit sleepy."

Hoosier Bill (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

"I have had stomach issues due to my GERD and have tried Zofran and it didn't work at all. My DR then had me try out Promethazine for whenever I feel nauseous when my GERD acts up or I eat something that makes me feel sick and it's gone within 15-20 minutes. It hasn't made me tired, but sometimes I will get a very quick blurred vision spell which I was warned about. But I love it.. it really helps me out"

Promethazinefan (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2016

"I have been taking Phenergan for relief of nausea for years. When I use to suffer from chronic migraine headaches, Phenergan would not only help with the nausea but also help me sleep and help with the pain. Several years ago I was in the hospital for a bad post-op bone infection (from a compound fracture) and I had awful nausea and the current drugs of choice couldn't control it like Phenergan."

Cowboy Hoss (taken for 10 years or more) February 15, 2016

"Just started coumadin.. one of the side effects is nausea. Has anyone taken promethazine for nausea from coumadin? I definitely think the Coumadin is causing this as started about same time."

Summerbean (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2016

"I have never heard of this medication being used for anything but nausea and vomiting but it helps me I have GERD, acid re-flux all the time and some foods make me sick to my stomach if it gets too bad I will take half a 25 mg tablet if that does not work I take the other half it states on script not to take more than one every 8 hours so taking two at one time would literally be overdosing my medication and not using it as prescribed I do not recommend doing that with this medication it knocks me out with just one half of a dose anything over what is prescribed is abusing the prescription. As far as knocking me out I actually want to sleep when I am nauseated so I am glad it knocks me out so I do not get sick to my stomach any more"

sstone January 31, 2016

"I was prescribed this medicine about a year and a half ago to get over a stomach bug. Then, when I got Clostridium Difficile a year ago, I asked for this medicine again. I have an undetermined stomach condition that I've had since I can remember. It makes me feel nauseous often. My doctor gave me a refillable prescription of Promethazine. Every single time I take promethazine, my nausea is gone in 40 minutes or less! It has been wonderful for me. It does make me sleepy, but its worth it for me if it stops the nausea. I take 1/2 of a 25mg tablet if I'm feeling only somewhat bad, 1 tablet if I'm feeling bad, and rarely two tablets if I feel extremely bad. It is the only thing I've tried that always works completely without fail. I love it!"

PromethazineFan (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine): "I was diagnosed with H Pylori and I was throwing up and nauseated every day for an entire month finally I was hospitalized and they gave me phenergran and God Bless the person who created this drug. Even now when I feel the slightest bit of nausea I take it and it'll knock me out and wake up feeling great"

Anonymous November 4, 2015

"I was nauseous and in pain for 3 months straight couldn't hold anything down at all. Dr could not figure out what was wrong, I lost 70lbs in that three months from not eating anything but applesauce and water. Two years ago I was diagnosed with GERD acid reflux and a hiatus hernia, still with the meds they put me on I was unable to hold food down maybe toast rice water etc. Finally my Dr introduced me to promethazine, it has been my best friend I take it probably 3 to 4 times a week and everytime within 30~40min it works fabulous. I would recommend it to anyone who has nauseous/vomiting issues."

Nikki326hunter October 19, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine): "All opiates make me sick so I have to take promethazine with them. Also the only thing that stopped my morning sickness."

Honeybee36 (taken for 10 years or more) October 5, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine): "I tried this medicine a day after I vomited three times and had that nausea feeling and that next day I vomited once in the morning but when I went to the medical centre they gave me the prescription for phenergan. I fell asleep instantly for two hours and a half and woke up refreshed and my stomach did not hurt for the rest of the day and I didn't vomit ever since. It's the best medicine for nausea and vomiting."

S.laz September 24, 2015

"This medicine saved my life I had severe nausea couldn't keep anything down. I was at the point where I thought this pregnancy would kill me but my doc introduced me to this medicine and it changed my life. I love it and I always keep it around"

mommy to be (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

"I take this now and I'm pregnant. It's the only medication that has completely helped my nausea. The only bad thing is it makes me extremely tired and that's not good because I'm a stay at home mother of a very energized 3 year old."

Unique22 (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2015

"my dr gave it to me for morning sickness and it seems like it makes it worse. they gave me 25mg i took it 3 times and threw up each time and only wanted to sleep...after reading people mention they took a 10mg dose i broke my pill in half thinking maybe the dose is too high because i dont take medicine like that and so far i haven't really felt too nauseous but will keep monitoring it glad i looked at other peoples results with the medicine"

jlbizzle June 18, 2015

"Really helps me out very well."

Bya. April 19, 2015

"Promethazine is a god send to me. I'm on many other medications, which get me sick every morning, feeling nauea/vomiting, dizziness, etc. Promethazine takes all that away from me, and I love it! I really recommend this drug for people who get morning sickness, or are RX'd a strong narcotic (Oxycodone, Morphine, Methadone, etc.), it helps and takes away the bad side effects of the narcotic. It's RX'd as a opiate adjunct. Works wonders."

Methacodone (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2015

"I just got put on Promethazine for nausea and vomiting. I started out liking it a lot, but now not so much as I thought I was feeling better seems I've gotten worse. Was only having normal side effects, now starting to have more severe side effects. Gave a 5 because I did like it and was helpful."

Babygirl2332 March 21, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine): "I have ulcerative colitis with nausea everyday. I take 1 10mg tablet in the morning and within an hour the nausea has disappeared. It's a miracle!"

Anonnn February 9, 2015

"Got this prescribed to me when I had a bug a few months back. Recently I have had recurring Clostridium Difficile (infection in the stomach) for a few months. I take Promethazine when I feel nauseated and it always works in about half an hour. It makes me extremely tired, but its worth it if it combats the nausea. That being said, it doesn't work for any stomach ailment other than nausea (pain, cramping, bloating). I love knowing it's around just in case I need it. (PS if you are really going to throw up, it will come out the other end after promethazine.)"

CDiff (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2014

"I am pregnant and have severe nausea so my doc gave me these pills. They are amazing but they act like a sleeping pill. I went to bed at 5 pm and woke up at 7 am next morning. I like not feeling sick but I don't like sleeping so much when I take it."

sunshine022611 December 14, 2014