User Reviews for Promethazine

Also known as: Adgan, Anergan 50, Antinaus 50, Phenadoz, Phenazine 50, Phenergan, Phenergan Fortis, Phenoject-50, Pro-Med, Promethegan, V-Gan-25, V-Gan-50

Learn more about Promethazine.

Promethazine Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Nausea/Vomiting.

Reviews for Promethazine to treat Nausea/Vomiting

"I used to take Zofran and personally felt the effects a lot quicker and took care of nausea better, but because of other meds I take it can cause bad reactions. They put me on Promethazine as needed for nausea from opiate meds or severe migraines . This doesn't work quick and doesn't work that great but I guess it's better than vomiting"

Chelseabergstresser (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been struggling with chronic nausea for a year now as well as an extreme fear of vomiting and anxiety nausea which I was happily surprised to see a lot of other people who took this medicine said it was a lifesaver for that. I had such high hopes for this medicine but unfortunately almost ended in a trip to the ER. Within three hours of taking it I felt extremely drunk, hollow, tingly, like my arms weren't attached to my body, heart palpitations, which of course only triggered a panic attack and made it worse. Oh, and it literally didn't even touch my nausea :( Needless to say that was my first and last dose!"

ashpelletier August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phenergan (promethazine): "Works GREAT getting rid of the nausea I have from taking Fentanyl and Oxicodone."

Drew1204 August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was first given this medication after being admitted to the ER with a kidney infection, it is a literal miracle. I have an intense phobia of vomiting which gives me horrible anxiety anytime I feel nauseous (which is often with acid reflux and IBS) which makes the entire situation so much worse, but promethazine is an almost instant life saver. It did make me drowsy when I first started taking it, but that has lessened as time has gone by. It does take a while to completely work (30-60 mins depending on how amped up I am from anxiety) but as soon as I take it I know it's going to help and I am able to calm down and let it go to work. I can't imagine going back to a life where I missed out on work and events because of nausea."

Itsyagirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Phenergan pills since damage from Brain surgery years ago. It is a life saver! The pills are the only option that works for me. I take it 3-4 times every day. I could not survive without it!"

VegasNerveDamage April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phenergan (promethazine): "On 3/23/17 I test positive for stomach flu. Phenergan didn't touch the nausea."

JOANIE55 March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phenergan (promethazine): "Has anyone experienced sadness after starting to take this drug. I am on 25mg for a few days and feel that it has helped with the nausea a little bit with the anxiety but it has made me sleep all day and feel sad. I normally have trouble getting onto strong meds such as anti depressants but I don't know if this is a case of this or something else. I am scared of becoming depressed."

Yanks950 (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from stomach ulcers and a ton of other stomach problems, and I also have crippling anxiety and depression so I stay nauseated most of the time. It also doesn't help that I have a fear of vomiting. When my dad was still alive (he had cancer) he told me to try promethazine so when I went to the doctor I asked him about it and he told me that it would be a good medication for me. It does make me a bit drowsy but I don't mind since I have insomia anyways. This medication has made my life so much better, I don't know what I'd do without it!"

volcanicmoons (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phenergan (promethazine): "I do not know what I would do without promethazine! It helps a lot with my nausea which is very severe every day… It does not take it all away, I know… But it does help me enough I have been using this medicine for 11 years via IV centreline"

Momma1967 February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was having nausea due to some of the meds I take for RA. My doctor prescribe promethazine. It really hasn't worked for me. It may decrease the nausea a little but I still feel ill."

RA girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 21 yrs of age and have suffered from migraines for nearly 15 yrs now. Phenergan is my go to medication for the nausea and vomiting that sometimes comes along with my headaches. I usually just want to crawl into a dark hole but with this medication I'm able to control my nausea and prevent myself from being sick. It also helps with the stomach pains I sometimes get from taking Excedrin Migraine."

Ceezy29 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking Promethazine at 25mg 3x daily yrs ago then to 4x daily for severe nauseous and vomiting from treatments for cancer and couldn't keep food down at all. I was also on strong pains before & higher w/cancer Oxycodone 30mg 4x day & Morphine 30mg ER twice daily for having 18 fracture vertebrae (8 herniated, 9 bulging had 1 ruptured disc repaired) an separate AC joint in right shoulder an other broken bones an left over bullet & shrapnel fragment in both legs & right foot due to 17yrs US Army 3 Combat tours. I found that the Promethazine didn't always work well as it should've at times I did go over an take couple more of them per day than what was prescribed. Didn't notice if it help w/pain meds. On them again cancer returned."

Nite-Owl December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have HG, and I've thrown up almost every hour in the hour. I was hospitalized twice before they finally gave my Promethazine. I wasn't able to keep down the oral medication but I opted finally for the suppositories, and while it takes about 30 minutes for me to feel completely better, it's truly a life saver."

EmmyG October 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Go to medication for nausea Makes you a tiny bit groggy but that side effect goes away.Its been around forever and I mainly use it with Excedrin when I have a migraine to subside the nausea.Only thing that comes near it is zofran and this is over $100 cheaper."

sopranofan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love this drug. I suffer with severe fear of vomiting and after getting prescribed it for insomnia I was over the moon. Not only does it help me sleep. It calms me down and stops all my anxiety nausea :) been taking it a few times a week for about a year and it's helped me out massively. Only bad point Is grogginess the next day but it's so worth it"

Bethviolet222 July 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed it when i had my wisdom teeth removed. But even after that i was nauseated every time i ate so depending how bad it was i would take the phenergan. It would help alot and put me to sleep. Only one time it took longer then expected. But overall its very good."

Anonymous July 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"By far the best anti nausea medication. I've had Zofran, Hydroxyzine, and some over the counter stuff, nothing compares to Promethazine. It takes about 30-60 minutes to fully peak, once it does.. It works wonders. Zofran is good for on the spot nausea, to work fast. But if you have chronic nausea, Promethazine works both ways!"

All-Promethazine (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Although I prefer Zofran melt aways because it melts in your mouth and doesn't require you to drink anything (which can cause vomiting when your already sick) I love Phenergan! It works longer and although not as fast it works better. I use it for nausea and as a sleep aid because of side effects from other medications. It does lower your blood pressure which is a side effect I don't mind because of my constant high BP and the side effects of the BP meds.it's very effective and almost every insurance will cover the cost (zophran is rarely covered) overall I don't take it everyday but it's safe for me to say that I've had no bad side effects from prolonged use."

Penniesfromheavon (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phenergan (promethazine): "I was suffering with nausea caused by panic disorder, anxiety, and depression, my physician prescribed me zofran at first, but I did not like the side effect of major constipation. Thus I told my doctor "is there any other MEDs for nausea", he prescribed me phenergan and it's a miracle drug. My nausea is now barely present."

Jose12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Phenergan (promethazine): "I was prescribed phenergan after having my wisdom teeth removed. When I got home, I immediately fell asleep (still under the influence of the anesthesia). Upon waking and attempting to stand, I began to heave and vomit profusely, but after laying back down and taking phenergan, my symptoms were gone nearly instantly. Would definitely recommend; phenergan was an important part of my recovery!"

AmeKaye June 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While in the hospital, I was suffering from nausea and vomiting. Since I could not keep anything down because of the vomiting, I was given Zofran via IV. It worked quickly and controlled my nausea and vomiting. I was given a prescription for Zofran when I was discharged. When the vomiting began again at home, I was unable to hold down the Zofran long enough for it to work. My doctor called in a script for Phenergan (promethazine) rectal suppositories. I found that they worked almost as quickly as the IV Zofran and actually did a better job controlling the nausea and vomiting. As mentioned in other reviews, both the pills and suppositories can make you a bit sleepy."

Hoosier Bill (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had stomach issues due to my GERD and have tried Zofran and it didn't work at all. My DR then had me try out Promethazine for whenever I feel nauseous when my GERD acts up or I eat something that makes me feel sick and it's gone within 15-20 minutes. It hasn't made me tired, but sometimes I will get a very quick blurred vision spell which I was warned about. But I love it.. it really helps me out"

Promethazinefan (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Phenergan for relief of nausea for years. When I use to suffer from chronic migraine headaches, Phenergan would not only help with the nausea but also help me sleep and help with the pain. Several years ago I was in the hospital for a bad post-op bone infection (from a compound fracture) and I had awful nausea and the current drugs of choice couldn't control it like Phenergan."

Cowboy Hoss (taken for 10 years or more) February 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just started coumadin.. one of the side effects is nausea. Has anyone taken promethazine for nausea from coumadin? I definitely think the Coumadin is causing this as started about same time."

Summerbean (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have never heard of this medication being used for anything but nausea and vomiting but it helps me I have GERD, acid re-flux all the time and some foods make me sick to my stomach if it gets too bad I will take half a 25 mg tablet if that does not work I take the other half it states on script not to take more than one every 8 hours so taking two at one time would literally be overdosing my medication and not using it as prescribed I do not recommend doing that with this medication it knocks me out with just one half of a dose anything over what is prescribed is abusing the prescription. As far as knocking me out I actually want to sleep when I am nauseated so I am glad it knocks me out so I do not get sick to my stomach any more"

sstone January 31, 2016