User Reviews for Promethazine to treat Light Sedation

Also known as: Phenergan, Promethegan, Phenadoz, Anergan 50, Adgan, Antinaus 50

Promethazine has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 19 ratings for the treatment of Light Sedation. 63% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Promethazine Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Light Sedation.

Reviews for Promethazine

Marty · Taken for 10 years or more April 16, 2021

Phenergan (promethazine): “Almost magic, treating insomnia it works better than my ambien & after waking up I won't discover I have emptied the cookie jar or fridge like has happened on ambien a few times. The downside of phenergan is how long it works, yes the next morning there is some lingering fatigue but it fades & coffee clears that fast. For nausea which I get a lot, it also helps without giving you the gift of constipation like zofran does. Phenergan gets an "A" rating in my book.”

Maggie Thatcher · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2019

Phenergan (promethazine): “My sleep is terrible. Phenergan helped but it made me anxious and shivery if I didn't take it and jump into bed straight away to settle. I'd sleep well but wake the next day feeling like I'd been hit by a truck and low in mood. It does help with sleep but it's not for me. Back to insomnia for me.”

Shon 48 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2015

“I came across this by accident and after two tablets all my medical ailments disappeared (anxiety, stress and IBS-D) . Off diazapam and Imodium now . Amazing after 40 years of misery that I can now enjoy life. Plus no sleeping tablets now either --- result !!!!”

D j · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2018

Phenergan (promethazine): “I've had trouble sleeping and waking up all night for years tried every natural sleep aid and none work . I won't ever try prescription sleeping pills. I was told about these otc med and they really help. I'm sleeping for longer and not waking . There has been no side effects, so so far so good”

Oli January 22, 2020

Phenergan (promethazine): “This does the job for stressful periods of insomnia, but I wouldn’t recommend it if you have something important to wake up for the next morning - one 25mg pill makes me feel drowsy for hours after waking”

Anonymous August 31, 2011

Phenergan (promethazine): “This is my magic pill. I suffer from vertigo, chronic spinal pain, sleeplessness, mild depression because of the spinal pain, and usually I get sick to my stomach with even one aspirin. I take 1/2 of one pill of this every night before bed and sleep like a baby and awake feeling rested, happy, and nausea-free. I hope the vertigo is gone too but haven't taken this long enough to know about that. I take small doses of everything because I feel the effects of any medicine very strongly. WHY hasn't a doctor offered this to me before?”

Ferrarisaap · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2020

“I took this tablet promethazine today first time for light sedation, my GP prescribed 50mg. There was no effect first 20 minutes but after an hour it knocked me out until next day still felt very drowsy. Did the job but think I will take half from now on.”

Doc Johnson · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 21, 2016

“I have been taking Promethazine 25mg tablets as needed for nausea for about 5 years. 1 pill would completely take away my nausea, even if I had the flu. However, the first time taking 1 pill knocked me out. You can build up a tolerance fairly quickly if you take them daily. I also have taken 1 to 2 pills to sleep through the night if im off work the next day because they make me groggy for a few hours the next morning. They don't make me feel "out of it" like Xanax and I have never developed any type of addiction to them either.”

Dugie · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2018

Anergan 50 (promethazine): “Only thing that helps me sleep. I cut the 25 mg. In half and that helps me settle down. I also combine that with 0.5 mg of klonopin. I am 77 years old and have suffered with insomnia for many, many years. I do not do well with anti-depressants so I avoid them. Wish I can forgo klonopin but have been on it for 10 years. Should have never started any mind controlling drug.”

Kezza K · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 29, 2021

“Works great for me, I try and take a 1/4 of a 25 mg tablet around 7 pm. It has a huge effect, and stops palpitations. I do feel a little down the next day until 12 ish . But well worth taking ! Take early !”

John Titor · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 7, 2017

“Promethazine was prescribed twice to me for mild sedation by my neurological doctor. I tried in in doses between 10mg and higher. This doesn't make me drowsy unless I'd had pain also and taken an opioid with it. The only effect I received was the taste of it. The second time it was given to me instead of zopiclone. Still, no effect. I tried it once as a treatment for nausea; 40mg. didn`t work.”

Jack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 2, 2019

Phenergan (promethazine): “I use whenever I want to ensure a good night's, uninterrupted, non-fitful sleep. Seems to work every time. A relative, and a neighbour I know, have similar success.”

tashyxtash31 October 25, 2014

Phenergan (promethazine): “Beautiful sleep every night”

hearae June 23, 2008

Phenergan (promethazine): “I sleep great with this medication.”

Now can sleep · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 30, 2020

“promethazine is my magic pilll that enables me to sleep. I awake in the morning so calm my head clear and focused.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2012

Phenergan (promethazine): “I took the recommended dose and was extremely drowsy yet angry and restless. It was like I wanted to scream out of frustration but was too tired and edgy. ”

Anonymous January 31, 2010

Phenergan (promethazine): “This medication helps me sleep very soundly but I usually wake feeling quite groggy and often feeling a bit depressed. ”

nicksname March 9, 2009

Phenergan (promethazine): “I suffered a reaction to this product. I bought it for help with sleeping and I was unable to sit or lie down for the restless nerve endings that lasted all night and most of the following day.”

Reservechic · Taken for 10 years or more October 26, 2013

“The phenergan shot works well at sedating me. The other forms that it comes in - such as pill, syrup, and suppository do not provide the same sedating effect for me.”

Soph22 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2016

“I suffer bad tinnitus and don't get much sleep I take 2 of these tablets but they don't work :/”

Learn more about Light Sedation