User Reviews for Promethazine to treat Allergic Reactions

Also known as: Phenergan, Promethegan, Phenadoz, Anergan 50, Adgan Antinaus 50

Promethazine has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 11 ratings for the treatment of Allergic Reactions. 64% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Promethazine Rating Summary

7.0/10 average rating

Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Reactions.

Reviews for Promethazine

SG · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2019

Phenergan (promethazine): “Was prescribed promethazine (phenergan) 25 mg after a procedure and had a severe allergic reaction to the medication. My face broke out in red, itchy hives, which spread down my neck and soon covered my entire body, head to toe. My throat began to swell up and my heart rate spiked. Be careful with this medication if you've never taken it before.”

Tempylyra · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 30, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine): “I got given it at first by emergency department when a rash was breaking out over my face. It works. But I also have anxiety and have found it to be way better than Valium etc. I feel relaxed and too not sleep I'll just take half a tablet but at night the 25 mg tablet helps my allergies and is a god send to relax the mind. I love it. I've noticed some people take it for nausea. I have always used stemitel and that works almost instantly. And I have no adverse reactions to either. I don't know why they don't use this for anxiety and such”

Therealnursesarah March 8, 2011

Phenergan (promethazine): “Phenergan (promethazine) is very effective for nausea and vomiting. It is generally not used for urticaria or respiratory allergies. It is very strong and will make you drowsy. I recommend taking it when you are going to lay low for a while. We don't give it IV any more because we had some serious tissue damage reported when it infiltrated under the skin. I am not sure that we still give it IV. Lately, it is either given as a suppository or as a pill.”

DontUseWithBPMeds · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2016

Phenergan (promethazine): “My son was given a one-time dose of 25mg of this drug intravenously for nausea in hospital, while on iv drips which included nitroglycerin, blood pressure medications, and pain opiates. He had a *severe* reaction, which included extremely high bp spikes (over 200 systolic), seizures, disorientation and hallucinations. The blood pressure spikes and seizures were extremely dangerous, as he had just suffered aortic dissection. It was fortunate that this drug reaction was not fatal. This drug should have a huge warning against usage with blood pressure meds, as that is a potentially fatal combination. The pharmacy should reject any request to use this drug in such a combination.”

Jane · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2019

“My husband used Phenergan 25 for an itchy reaction to another drug, caused nervousness, dizziness, insomnia, anxiety, confusion, anger, nightmares and thought he was going mad. (I did too!) After 2 nights I realized what it was doing, he slept it off the next day, never to use it again! There is no warning of these ill effects on the packet!!! Only may cause drowsiness, well it did, about 16 hours later!!”

Jake · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 17, 2019

“For me Phenergan (promethazine) is amazing, around twice a week I get severe hay fever my eyes hurt really bad and I can't stop sneezing. I had tried everything nothing seemed to word then tried Phenergan promethazine I take a 25mg and half an hour later I feel fine just a little sleepy.”

alfred · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 30, 2018

“Promthazine is amazing. I have eczema and very bad itchy skin and it gets worse at night time. I take 25mg at around 8pm to stop itching and it starts to work in about 2 hours. It also helps me to fall a sleep which is good. I have been using it for just over a year now and I haven't had any problems. The only side effects that I have got from promethazine is tinnitus and its not pleasant but I can live with it.”