User Reviews for Diphenhydramine to treat Allergic Reactions

Also known as: Benadryl, Banophen, Benadryl Allergy, ZzzQuil, Benadryl Children's Allergy, Diphen, Unisom SleepGels, Diphenhist, Sominex, Nytol, Bydramine, Diphedryl, Siladryl Allergy, Snooze Fast, Allergia-C, Benahist-50, Genahist, Sleep Tab II, Nytol QuickCaps, Beldin, Silphen Cough, Sleepinal, Diphendryl, Diphenydramine Quick Melt, Sominex Maximum Strength Caplet, Unisom SleepMinis, Unisom Liquid, ConRx Allergy, Dicopanol, Buckley's Bedtime, Hyrexin, Hydramine Cough Syrup, Diphen AF, Diphen Cough, DPH, Aler-Dryl, Benahist-10, Benoject-50, Calm-Aid, Diphenadryl, Aller-G-Time, Trux-adryl, Valu-Dryl, Diphenyl, Altaryl, Belix, Vicks QlearQuil Nighttime Allergy Relief, Hydramine, Diphenylin, Hydramine Compound, Nytol Caplet, Compoz Nighttime Sleep Aid, Help I Can't Sleep, Allermax Twilite Banaril Aler-Tab Sleep-ettes D Diphenmax Ben-Tann Dytan Vanamine PD Pharbedryl Histaprin Z-Sleep Unisom SleepMelts Simply Sleep Complete Allergy Relief Dytuss Dormin Miles Nervine Scot-Tussin Allergy Sleepwell 2-nite …show all brand names

Diphenhydramine has an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 from a total of 33 ratings for the treatment of Allergic Reactions. 67% of those users who reviewed Diphenhydramine reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Diphenhydramine Rating Summary

7.9/10 average rating

Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Reactions.

Reviews for Diphenhydramine

EMME · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2020

Benadryl Children's Allergy (diphenhydramine): “My dog was sprayed with something poisonous from a frog in the bushes and if I had not had this in the house my dog would have died. Her airway was closing up and wishing minutes she could breathe again.”

Nic · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2020

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “Received Benadryl via IV in prep for a biologic infusion. My throat starting swelling and my blood pressure skyrocketed. An immunologist tested me, and I showed strongly allergic to Benadryl, so it can happen.”

The Big A September 4, 2020

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “Benadryl is the Gold Standard for allergies, anxiolysis, and sleeping aid. It works like a charm! It is not particularly fast acting, though. I usually take a half a tablet(12.5 mg) at a time and it can take up to an hour to really kick in.”

Just me · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2020

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “This is an old thread but thought I would share. I was in the hospital in labor. I developed a reaction to the epidural that caused severe itchiness. They gave me something that didn't help and after several hours of itching, a nurse gave me iv benedryl. I immediately couldn't breathe and felt like someone kicked me in the chest. I was warm all over, nauseous and on the edge of passing out. An ekg also showed I had a heart arrhythmia from it. I've taken oral benadryl in the past with no problems. Now it's on my list of allergies and I tell every doc I see. Most terrifying experience.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more May 5, 2015

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “I have a severe dairy allergy and I have had it for all of my life. My doctor (who has been a doctor for more than 20 years) told me I had the worst case he has ever seen. If I touch it, I break out into hives, if I eat it or just put it in my mouth and then spit it back out, I go into anaphylactic shock. (where my lungs close up and I stop breathing) I always carry around the liquid Benadryl (because it works faster than the pills) in my purse. On many occasions, a double dose of it has saved my life and delayed the reaction from getting worse until I could get to the emergency room. Literally a life saver.”

Amensus · Taken for 10 years or more April 28, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “I take one before bed which keeps me breathing easily during the night despite my allergies. It also helps me get to sleep and stay asleep. The active ingredient, dyphenhydramine HCL, you will find is the main ingredient in quite a few over the counter sleep medications so that should tell us something. And Benadryl or a generic drugstore brand are cheaper and just as effective. Have been taking this for over 20 years and have no side effects”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2015

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “Experienced an allergic reaction during dinner at a new restaurant. Throat started itching terribly so we left and drove to the nearest pharmacy. Used Benadryl syrup because I thought it would work faster. Fixed my allergic reaction in a minute.”

squirrelnutkin July 18, 2009

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “I have severe allergies and life has been miserable. I couldn't afford the time or money anymore for allergy shots. Claritan stopped working. So did a bunch of over the counter allergy medications. I took so many cough and zinc lozenges my tongue became sore. I coughed all the time, to the point of stomach pain and incontinence. My coworker just gave me a Benadryl. I was on the verge of going home sick, but now I'm 100% better. A stress rash that was erupting on the back of my neck just now went away. This is a marvelous product, and I didn't know it had so many uses.”

Anonymous October 23, 2010

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “I like this medicine, but unfortunately developed an allergy to it, yes contrary to ANYONE'S belief I AM allergic to Benadryl. My legs started to get really, really hot and felt like I just had to stretch them and run them under freezing cold water, then I woke up with hives all over.”

Anonymous June 4, 2010

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “I have taken Benadryl or its generic equivalent for many years. It is very good for itchy throats and ears and all kinds of symptoms, and particularly good for sneezing. If the Benadryl doesn't work, then I know I'm coming down with something more than just seasonal allergies. I try to keep Benadryl with me all the time. There are so many food products that I am supposed to be allergic to that sometimes I take a Benadryl before I eat, especially peanut butter and bananas, two of my favorite foods.”

use caution when taking October 28, 2014

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “I was given Benadryl at the hospital for an allergic reaction. It instantly shot my heart rate up to 217 bpm and instantly my mouth got dry I couldn't swallow my chest felt hot like an elephant was sitting on it and I got really cold. It put me into shock my body wouldn't stop shaking, I could breath. It was so scary I thought I was dead thanks to the doctors quick response he saved me but it almost killed me. ”

Powered2be February 15, 2016

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “I couldn't stop coughing for one week, I lost my voice and severe lung pain due to the coughing. Went to see a pulmonologyst and did xrays, the results, negative. My lungs were clear and no infection whatsoever . He recommended me to go to Walmart and buy claritin pills, but I was desperate last night to have a good sleep without coughing all night, I haven't been able to sleep with this horrible killing coughing , not mentioning dry nose, itchy ears, and itchy throat. Last night I took two regular benadryl pills and slept like a babe for 10 hrs straight, the only problem is that I make my living driving and can't take the pills during the day. Probably I will take clartin during the day, but I honestly prefer benadryl, way more effective”

Son, age 16 · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “My adult size teenage son was given Benadryl IV, 50mg, *along with Compazine IV as a "headache cocktail" in an emergency room in September of 2016. While there is no way to know for certain if Compazine or Benadryl caused the severe reaction he experienced, he has tolerated oral Benadryl just fine in the past. However, it seems important to share our experience based on the severity of his reaction that day and that multiple reports of similar exist. I do not recommend the "headache cocktail" of Benadryl and Compazine together and hope the number of similar reports are looked into.”

Anonymous October 7, 2008

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “I am severely allergic to all nuts and I always keep a few pills with me. If I eat something that has been in contact with nuts I take two pills or a gulp of the syrup and my itchy mouth and throat, swollen lips are instantly soothed. The syrup does work faster than the pills but pills are lighter to carry around. I once ate a huge piece of hazelnut chocolate and having benadryl on me really saved me. It won't work on severe reaction i.e. eating peanut butter but it is definitely a life saver for all other allergic reactions. I am never without benadryl and my epipen. Only thing to look out for is intense drowsiness, so make sure to be at home to take a long nap when it takes effect.”

Anonymous October 20, 2009

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “A little known and rare side effect of this drug is a condition that would probably be called idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP). This describes a serious depletion of platelets in the blood. The blood will not clot properly and an injury can be life threatening due to uncontrolled bleeding. It's rare but if it happens and the cause is not figured out by your physician(s) this is a big problem.”

marlene1020 · Taken for 10 years or more June 14, 2018

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “I've used this and given it to my children for over 20 years. My teenage son would take 1 before going to bed so he could sleep without allergic reactions. I've used it for unknown allergies like bee stings and sunless tanner. Works great and so does the topical cream. No adverse affects with us.”

Connert2 April 26, 2017

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “I have no rest every time I take benadryl. I feel I have a really bad reaction as I feel restless, my body feels like itchy, nauseous and it makes me feel angry feeling restless it really hurts my stomach am I allergic to it? or it a bad reaction”

AgnosticPanda February 20, 2009

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “I have been using Benadryl for the past 4 years and I never leave home without it. I have sneezing fits both indoors and outdoors and Benardryl is the only allergy pill that works for me. It works fast and stops my runny nose immediately. Although I do feel sleepy (most of the time), I can't be without it. ”

Jen234 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 12, 2012

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “I use this medicine for weather allergies and allergies to medications when I need it. It does help greatly but does not last long and my burning sensation comes back into my body and the hives start to show. However a lot of people say that this medicine makes them feel sedated. I have the complete opposite I take 1 before bed and I will not sleep.”

Madam2 January 25, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “Allergy reaction to nuts. Started feeling swelling around mouth, throat.... very scary, feel like I am stopping to breath. This instant relieve. Give it 10-15 minutes till kicks in. WORKS WONDERS. BUT.... you might need a good snooze after a good dose...”

Pk324 · Taken for 10 years or more February 28, 2020

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “I suffer from severe sinusitis, but I am a person who suffers multiple other ailments. Especially, a really bad heart.(5 heart attacks and a mini stroke) this is the only over the counter med that helps me without effecting my heart in any way. I find it safe and has helped me when I had anaphylaxis along w prednisone.”

AllergySufferer March 14, 2012

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “Works well and is one of my to go-to antihistamines. However it is very sedating and is also not long-lasting. It would work great for someone with insomnia as a milder sleep-aid, but for my use I would say that it works, but makes you sedated.”

Brit007 November 25, 2016

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “I have had allergy all my life, pretty severe and I live in allergy heaven in TX. I have tried Everything and for me, benedryl is still the best. I work and it does not effect me, I often take it several times a day.”

Schnozola · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2017

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “Takes 4 hours to work and by then you need another dose. Since they took the other ingredient out, Benadryl and Wal-Dryl no longer work for me. Back to experimenting. No side affects, but not effective either.”

cupcake02011 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 3, 2013

“My doctor gave me this in 2010 when I first began having seasonal allergies. I thought it was the best allergy medication out there, like top notch stuff. Turns out its just a basic type of medication. No superpowers involved, but it works great you would think there are superpowers in them!”

Skins · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “Benadryl works great to help with the chronic itching this infestation has caused - I got bit by chigger bugs. Only side effect is sleepiness so I spread the dosage of 2 out. It’s too bad the packaging is so difficult to open. My heart goes out to anyone with arthritis of trembling that would have to open this product,”

Efnk2 · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2017

Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy (diphenhydramine): “I’m a 24 healthy female athlete I never get sick however I today have the flu when I take this med it helps the pain and aches but my eye swells completely shut 30 mins after taking this everytime - the left eye in particular lower lid and my eyes waters and gets pus”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more February 6, 2018

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “If you have problems with Benadryl, try the dye free one. I'm wildly allergic to FD&C Red #40 and must use dye free. Dye free works well for me.”