User Reviews for Diphenhydramine to treat Urticaria

Also known as: Benadryl, Banophen, Benadryl Allergy, ZzzQuil, Benadryl Children's Allergy, Diphen, Unisom SleepGels, Diphenhist, Sominex, Nytol, Bydramine, Diphedryl, Siladryl Allergy, Snooze Fast, Allergia-C, Benahist-50, Genahist, Sleep Tab II, Nytol QuickCaps, Beldin, Silphen Cough, Sleepinal, Diphendryl, Diphenydramine Quick Melt, Sominex Maximum Strength Caplet, Unisom SleepMinis, Unisom Liquid, ConRx Allergy, Dicopanol, Buckley's Bedtime, Hyrexin, Hydramine Cough Syrup, Diphen AF, Diphen Cough, DPH, Aler-Dryl, Benahist-10, Benoject-50, Calm-Aid, Diphenadryl, Aller-G-Time, Trux-adryl, Valu-Dryl, Diphenyl, Altaryl, Belix, Vicks QlearQuil Nighttime Allergy Relief, Hydramine, Diphenylin, Hydramine Compound, Nytol Caplet, Compoz Nighttime Sleep Aid, Help I Can't Sleep, Allermax Twilite Banaril Aler-Tab Sleep-ettes D Diphenmax Ben-Tann Dytan Vanamine PD Pharbedryl Histaprin Z-Sleep Unisom SleepMelts Simply Sleep Complete Allergy Relief Dytuss Dormin Miles Nervine Scot-Tussin Allergy Sleepwell 2-nite …show all brand names

Diphenhydramine has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Urticaria. 25% of those users who reviewed Diphenhydramine reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Diphenhydramine Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Urticaria.

Abby55 · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2020

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “I was admitted to the hospital with a bad case of hives . I was put on an IV. They injected Benadryl into my IV to help with the hives . Within seconds I couldn't breathe . The nurses had just injected in and we're leaving to do some other errands . I couldn't breathe and I couldn't speak and I knew I was gonna die . I managed to pull myself up in the bed sitting up and started pounding on the side of the bed rails to get attention . That's one of the nurses turned around and saw that I could not breathe. Within seconds I have doctors and nurses around my bed . I now have to list Benadryl as an allergy. I probably should carry a magic bracelet to just in case . That was a horrifying day.”

Chronic Idopathic Angeodiema · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 1, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “I was diagnosed with Chronic Idopathic Angioedema in 2005. I was 8 months pregnant and woke up one morning and my face was unrecognizable. I called my Dr and they said "oh it's probably just pregnancy swelling". I am an only child so I didn't know about facial swells. My husband came home and said this is NO pregnancy swelling. This was in 2003. It continued weekly so we took pictures and took to my obgyn. He had been practicing medicine for over 30 years and never seen anything like it, I saw numerous Dr.s and was finally diagnosed. I was in the hospital and swelled up I was given over Benadryl. It took my breath away and couldn't speak. Another nurse came in and yelled at the nurse. It has 2 b given slow or its very dangerous”

Nurse-student July 11, 2016

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): “I would get so worked up with hives before an exam with my gynecologist, that I would have to cancel. One day I took a Benadryl (they usually come in 25 mg or 50 mg tablets, or in packs of two 25 mg tablets)- just 25 mg before my appointment, and it really took the edge off. I had no hives and was much more relaxed. I buy the generic brand at the Dollar Store. This is used in our house for insomnia, allergic reactions, stuffy noses, and what I had previously mentioned. It is not habit-forming, and at such low doses, it's easy to control. Just make sure you stay hydrated! One word of caution to parents with young kids or teens- there have been many cases of suicide attempts and to trip out on.”

Tweet_WA · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2015

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “I have suffered with chronic uticaria for over 10 years and over the last 6 months it has become a daily nightmare. Benadryl worked a bit but it was probably due to the sedating effect allowing me to sleep. However, I can now take 4 tablets and still itch. I've combined this with an H2 blocker such as Zantac and it helps enough to be able to sleep a couple of hours and then I'm awoken to intense itching.”

Anonymous July 14, 2010

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “Benadryl does knock me out but when I have bad hives, it works a lot better than other antihistamines. I get them bad enough sometimes that I have to be on prednisone as well.”

margemccahon December 10, 2008

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “Benadryl made my 16yr old so sleepy that he had to be sent home from school but it did take away his hives.”

Anonymous December 6, 2009

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “I've been taking Benedryl Allergy every four hours today to try to get some relief from my hives, but it hasn't helped at all. The most relief I felt was during an oatmeal bath.”

Lizelou September 16, 2009

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine): “My 2 1/2 year old son took this because of Hives/Welts. It helped with the itching but thats it. It made him very hyper.”

Learn more about Urticaria