User Reviews for Ambien (Page 4)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ambien.

Insomnia
7.4

Summary of Ambien reviews 7.4 418 reviews

Reviews for Ambien

For Insomnia "I've been sick for the past week, and because of that I cut out my nightly glass of brandy - figured it was time to start cutting out certain unhealthy vices. I primarily used the brandy as a sleep aid right before bed (just one glass). Since doing so, however, I've been waking up several times a night. So, I asked my mom if I could take a small piece of one of her Ambien - about 1/4 of a pill. After about 15 minutes my eyelids were heavy, and I don't remember actually going to sleep. It's more like I just blacked out. Today (the morning after) I didn't wake up until after 11 a.m. Just for context, I went to bed around 11 p.m. As I write this, it is almost 4 p.m. and I'm still extremely groggy and lethargic, along with dehydrated and cranky"

Stephanie W. (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

For Insomnia "I was prescribed Ambien following an accident I had at work, I couldn't sleep due to extreme pain in lower back. I've been using 5mg for the past 5 yrs. Craziest stuff I've ever done in my life while on Ambien was order some exercising CD's at 4am and not remembering the next morning what I had done, like I had been in the twilight zone. Trying to cancel stuff that I ordered and explain to these telemarketers that I'm on medication and don't recall what I even say prompted me to lock my credit cards at night. I'd rather get 4-5 hrs of sleep than no sleep at all. My lower back pain remains low, mild exercise no hot abs for me."

ViAnSu2016 March 7, 2016

For Insomnia "Simple, I started taking Ambien in 2001 when it was prescribed for me by my orthopedic MD for a swollen knee so I could sleep, then I found out it was not habit forming, other than psychological. I am a professor and I have trouble shutting down my mind at night. I have used it daily since that time, never have needed more than 5-10mg, never sleep walk, do my best work in the morning at my office before classes, have gone a few days when I have run out and am not somewhere I can refill. Doesn't worry me, I just accept I am not going to sleep well and I don't, but I sleep some. I don't get anxious about it. I am now 71, still teaching full time, no sign of weak bones. Why on earth would I want to stop taking Ambien?"

Nax February 19, 2016

For Insomnia "I was diagnosed with Chronic Insomnia about 5 months ago. Doctor prescribed Ambien. It works wonders. I discovered that for me, once I take it, I cannot communicate on any social media websites, because the next day when I go back and read what I wrote, it's a bunch of gibberish. My routine, I take an Ambien, get in the bed and read a little, before I know it, I'm waking up in the morning not realizing I even feel asleep. My only issue is, the pills are prescribed in bottles of 21 pills, one bottle with two additional refills. If I don't schedule my follow - up Sleep Appointment right, I'll be stuck with a few days with no medicine like I am now while typing this, lol. It is after 12 am and I'm WIDE AWAKE."

SleeplessInSanAntonio February 8, 2016

For Insomnia "I've been taking Ambien (10mg) off and on for years. It tends to stop working if I start taking it too often, so I have to take breaks from it periodically. That's the only negative thing I have to say about it. When it works, it works perfectly and I've experienced no side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2016

For Insomnia "It is a good cure long as you don't abuse your meds and it will help your sleeping. No problems. Simple as that. Night all."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2016

For Insomnia "I was admitted to a hospital cardiac care unit following an MI. I received Ambien and woke up from sleep profoundly confused and hostile. I ripped out of my arms and legs all the IV and EKG leads, and then left my bed, marching to the double doors of the CCU. Female nurses were screaming, for I was naked and bloody from the leads being torn away from my body. The bravest man I ever met was a young CNA who stepped in front of me, telling me "You cannot leave the CCU." Considerably shorter and lighter than me, his action was totally courageous, given that I was in a temporary, drug-induced altered mental state. I recall only vaguely warning him that I would throw him against the wall if he blocked me. I awakened, embarrassed, ashamed."

VERDANT71 January 31, 2016

For Insomnia "I have been taking this drug for about 4 years. Went in depression anxiety, and chronic insomnia. I take 5 mg when I do take it and it works very well for me. I have never experienced any of the horror stories that others have. It immediately improved my mood, depression and anxiety as it finally allowed me to sleep. I try not to take it more than 3 times a week to avoid dependency on it. Sometimes I go weeks without it, sometimes 2 weeks straight on it due to situational anxiety."

Sleepless in Detroit (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

For Insomnia "Have had sleep problems last 10 years or so. Went to sleep clinic, apparently I do not fall into deep sleep stage. Doctor put me on Ambien 5mg. Wonderful. I slept all night and felt great next day! Fast forward 4 months. End up being tested for Lupus, Lyme disease and bloodwork galore because of muscle and joint pain that would show up in different places and I was suffering EXTREME tiredness and weakness during day. All tests negative so doctor wanted me to stop taking Ambien and switched me to trazadone. Been a week now. So far so good but insomnia is back. Will NOT be continuing trazadone. Causing excessive pvc's and feels like my heart is going to burst out of my chest. Does NOT help me sleep even a little. Sad about the Ambien."

Bassett eyes January 22, 2016

For Insomnia "Ambien definitely puts me to sleep quickly and keeps me asleep. However, it has made me do crazy things without remembering the next morning. I have taken more than the recommended dose while sleep walking, cut 3 inches off my hair, drove my car, many different things. I would love this medicine if I just didn't act crazy because it really does work."

Alison3312 January 13, 2016

For Insomnia "I was prescribed this drug in my early teen years and it worked wonders at first. Not, at 20 years old it doesn't work AT ALL. I will sometimes have to take 2 pills at night and I will still wake up 3 hours later. I guess I built up a tolerance but I will be switching medicines. Plus I would find myself in the kitchen eating every night, and one had a blender out about to make margaritas.... This is definitely not a long term drug."

Hollymolly (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 12, 2016

For Insomnia "If you take this right before you're going to bed you'll be fine. Don't take it when you still have stuff to do. I take ambien and Zoloft every night right when I'm getting into bed. It doesn't knock me out or anything but it does help me fall asleep faster and stay asleep for more hours."

AsM081 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016

For Insomnia "You can do things and not remember them. You will tell awful stories about squirrels jumping out of glass boxes, and say things to your spouse/significant other you don't mean if you try to TALK while on this drug. So by all means do not take until the very last thing before sleep, i.e. you are in bed, ready for sleep. It kicks in super fast and you won't know what hit you. You only get 5 to 6 hours of sleep on Ambien but you feel rested with no druggie zombie after feeling. Note to single parents taking this drug: you will be worthless in an emergency situation and helpless to assist your children in a fire, a break-in, a trip to the ER at 1 a.m. (never drive on this drug!!!)"

ErinF.70 December 27, 2015

For Insomnia "I was prescribed this by my doctor as a result of being bi-polar and being up for days on end. Ambien is definitely a tremendous sleep inducer. After a few minutes you wouldn't know if you were dead or alive. I was probably on 5 mg for about a year. When I was on a bi-polar "high" I could three pills and only sleep a couple of hours. I often felt groggy or drugged the next day using this product. I quit taking this product as a result of weird and unexplained behavior. One time I woke up with no clothes on and couldn't find them. I never slept naked bcuz I was single and had a 17 year old. Scary stuff. u don't know what ur doing on this stuff."

ScarySleeper (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 18, 2015

For Insomnia "Taking ambien as (exactly) prescribed has been a tremendous help to me. I get sleep, without waking up several times a night. I feel refreshed for a day of anything!"

CRYSTALBALL2418 December 15, 2015

For Insomnia "My parents have taken this drug for over 20 years since I was a child. They did some weird things and got in 2 bad car accidents over it. You do have bad memory loss with it and it is life changing with relationships with other people. I wrote this review though to let people know that it is EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE AND HABIT FORMING. I took 10 mg one night after a surgery to sleep and then wasn't able to sleep at all for 2 days (withdrawal), everyone I've asked has said the same thing. It does give you the munchies to the extreme IKN why. If you plan in taking this medication know what your getting into and try something else first before starting this. It will be costly in the long run."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 13, 2015

For Insomnia "Had started to experience insomnia about ten years ago after a shoulder injury, even after that healed I had a horrible time getting to sleep, I could not turn my mind off. I was prescribed this medication and had some initial side effects but the medication works for me. I think I have became addicted to it, there have been some days I did not take it or could not afford it and when that happened I could not fall asleep. Ambien gives me a good night's rest and I wake up feeling refreshed."

Trenchycoat December 11, 2015

For Insomnia "I was put on Ambien because of my anxiety and depression, I wasn't able to sleep more than an hour or 2 a night. I took the Ambien 5mg for about a week and I had horrible indigestion the whole time and on top of that I still only slept 4-5 hours a night tops. And I have been off them for almost a week and I'm still having horrible stomach pains and possibly a swollen liver."

SolaireOfAstora (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2015

For Insomnia "I've been in this medication since 1998 to 2015. I've been on it and off from it but I will warn people with diagnosed depression or PTSD not to take it too long. I've gone from stripping my clothes off and thinking I was going to bed. Munchies galore. Ate a whole cake without blinking. Bad idea since my cholesterol is sky high list goes on. I asked several Drs if overeating was a side effect. Led to believe it was only me. Burned half my arm cooking and only said, "Ouch, I burned my arm." Went to bed and had to get treated for the burn. It left a scar. Every time I take it my depression escalates even with antidepressants. I seriously saw dead people and spoke to them. Relayed exactly what they wore and said to my kids. Bad reactions."

gyms55 (taken for 10 years or more) December 3, 2015

For Insomnia "I have been prescribed Ambien for 3 years now, I used to take Xanax along with it so I never truly got to experience the hypnotic effects of Ambien on its own. Now I take it by itself and its a powerful medication. It can cause my appetite to get out of control, also I had a major problem when I drank alcohol with it . My parents came home to find me, putting all my clothes in a suitcase I found somewhere in the house, a loaf of sliced bread spread all over the house and the yard, and me yelling at them for making my friends leave the game early, what the hell I was doing or talking about I still have no idea. So yes, don't drink and take Ambien in the course of a night because it leads to some bizarre activities. But all in all as a sleep aid it's great."

Nucky0109 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2015

For Insomnia "I was dealing with severe insomnia for a few months. Dr prescribed 10mg. It helped me fall asleep noticably quicker. No sleepwalking or anything, but then one night my work woke me after an hour or so and I was slightly impaired; stumbling through bedroom and slurring words. Felt like being drunk except that my mind was still fine, just body delayed. Otherwise, it has been free of side effects and gets job done - except for heartburn. Experience it nightly after taking ambien and take an antacids"

Nmguy (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2015

For Insomnia "I have been taking ambien or zolphidem for almost 15 years. I had horrible insomnia where I couldn't sleep sometimes at all during the night. The insomnia went on for about 2 years before I tried ambien. it worked immediately. I don't take it every night and when I do I break off a third of the pill. The only side effect is sometimes grogginess in the morning. I worry about a little memory loss. I was told it disrupts your REM sleep which can affect memory. Trying to get off completely but don't want to go through that horrible insomnia again."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) November 7, 2015

For Insomnia "Love it, I have PTSD & at night cannot sleep. I take one 5 mg & go right to sleep in minutes, feel great in the morning. I recommend detox clients take this its awesome!"

professional but still human (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

For Insomnia "So far it's great. I sleep a full eight hours. No side effects as of yet"

Kelz2006 October 26, 2015

For Insomnia "Knocked out within 5 minutes. Woke up 3 hours later; lights still on and found my book on the floor. The next day I had memory loss and felt confused. I tried them 3 times with the same experience, than I returned them to the pharmacy. Maybe I"

Mael69 October 18, 2015