User Reviews for Belsomra

Insomnia 3.6

Reviews for Belsomra

OlPoopFace June 7, 2020

For Insomnia: “I was able to get this drug for free through the Merck (the manufacturer) Patient Assistance Program, so definitely look into that before you pay for it. I’m writing this review as someone who has tried literally everything under the sun for sleep for the last 15 years. The first time I took Belsomra, it was like a miracle. It kicked in quickly and felt natural. After about three days, it stopped working due to tolerance. Key points: 1.) Clear all benzos out of your system to make it 10x more effective. 2.) Be prepared for a wild and unpredictable kick-in process. For me, it’s kicked in from 30 minutes to 8 hours. 3.) DO NOT DRIVE THE NEXT DAY. Even if you feel good! Trust me. 4.) You will get nightmares or sleep paralysis at some point, be prepared. 5.) If you can skip it for a few days, it helps with the tolerance. Not at all worth it to pay for it. Worth trying if you can get it for free. Sorry, guys. No miracle cure yet.”

Gee · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

For Insomnia: “Believe the reviews! Awake most of the night & napped for 20 minutes here & there with the most vivid horrendous nightmares! Teary the next day (not sure if that was from no sleep or side effect from Belsomra)”

Bill · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 29, 2020

For Insomnia: “I've found very small doses of Belsomra to work really well for me. I have what they call "secondary insomnia" which means I typically wake up in the middle of the night and cannot fall back asleep. So now I buy 10mg Belsomra pills and carefully cut them into 3 pieces - it is not easy and I have a $30 pill cutter to do this properly. When I wake up in the middle of the night (say at 1am or 2am), I take a 3.33mg piece of Belsomra - a tiny dose. I am usually able to sleep pretty well after that. Overall - I've tried every sleeping medicine under the sun and found Belsomra to be a winner. (I have noticed a slight 4 pound weight gain, but that could be coincidental: I am almost 50 years old and I still eat like I am 30. )”

Brasscupcakes February 14, 2020

For Insomnia: “I haven taken every type of prescription /OTC sleep meds & supplements and Belsomra is near useless. I took 15 MG dose. It takes forever to kick in. Even chewed it and it took two hours to go to sleep. The sleep was better quality... I didn't wake up during the night. But 15 mg left me groggy next day and 10 mg dose didn't work. Trazodone which is dirt cheap and has no side effects is much better especially if you chew the tablets for quicker onset (20 mins VS 90!) I only tried Belsomra because I was offered samples. I thought perhaps it would give me that nice dozey feeling that Ambien did. But Belsomra is not pleasurable and it barely works. Trazodone works much better and it's out of patent 50 years so it's maybe 10 bucks a bottle. ”

Tlm · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

For Insomnia: “I was given samples of Belsomra when ambien did nothing to help with my chronic insomnia. Again this has done nothing for me. I took a 20mg and thought I'd try another as I get very miserable and irritable when I can't sleep. Taking a second one still done nothing . I'm guessing there is really no medication for chronic insomnia.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2020

For Insomnia: “Belsomra is FDA approved my dr kept telling me. I didn't care. I just wanted something that would work. She said there was no samples. You take on an empty stomach. It caused nightmares, gave me insomnia. I was on 10mg.”

Jarbles · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2020

For Insomnia: “Just like Zolpidem, I got two nights great sleep and then it left me awake with a headache all night.”

Steve · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2020

For Insomnia: “I have had occasional long term bouts of anxiety and depression during my adult life. I had been on at least 30 mg of Mirtazapine for most of the last 8 years. Besides helping with other issues it provided me with my best sleep in years. I never had any bad side effects from Mirtazapine. After a new period of depression, I was put on Amitriptyline which causes some constipation. Since I Mirtazapine can cause constipation, it was suggested I get off that and try Trazodone. That did nothing so after some samples of Belsomra, I ended up with a prescription for 20 mg. For a couple of days, I slept really well. Then I waking up more and more. By the end of a month, I woke up hourly and rarely got more than 5 hours of sleep. Two days ago I went back on 15 mg of Mirtazapine and have slept much better. I decided I would just deal with the constipation, but won't go back on ready for now.”

Anonymous January 7, 2020

For Insomnia: “This medication Belsomra did absolutely nothing for me. I have vivid crazy dreams and the medication doesn't make me tired at all. It is a very expensive medication if your insurance won't cover it.”

Maxiesmom · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2020

For Insomnia: “I was able to use a sample of this medication and it was the best sleep aid I have ever used. I was able to sleep comfortably and wake up without any hangover. I wish I could afford it.”

midnightviewer December 18, 2019

For Insomnia: “I was prescribed this drug with confidence it would help me sleep. I have had insomnia for over 40 years and was only ever able to sleep consistently using Trazadone for seven years at a high dose, until it eventually quit working. Belsomra caused all my muscles to become very hard, tense, and tight. I dropped off to sleep and became awake suddenly without that gradual dozing off or gradual awakening that is the normal part of sleeping. When asleep, I could barely move my body and I was only slightly in a state of light sleep as I heard things happening in the house that I did not used to hear and was not really resting. It increased my pain levels Also, I was in a state of being unable to wake up out of the bad dreams I had, as I was sort of paralyzed. I was encouraged to keep trying this medication until my body could adjust to it. I tried it 45 days and things only got worse and worse. I had horrible dreams and day time anxiety which is unusual for me.”

Shhhh tyin to sleep here · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2019

For Insomnia: “Trying to sleep is so hard. For me I recommend late exercise and try and stay wake. It will be what it will be maybe you will sleep well maybe you won't. Just look at it like .... well at leastI didn't sleep my life away. This drug offered a little help to me. I also find antihistamines work well to. Good luck keep calm”

college__student November 23, 2019

For Insomnia: “I've had chronic insomnia for about 3 years, related to getting up 4-5x/night to urinate. Tried multiple long-acting sedatives so that I can not just fall but also STAY asleep: benzodiazepines (clonazepam), barbiturates (phenobarbital), antihistamines (mirtazapine and doxepin at very low doses), GABA agonist (tiagabine). These mostly work, but there a lot of next-day sedation, and I build a tolerance to them all. I rotate them. I am not sure whether Belsomra has the same tolerance problem. 1) Do NOT take more than the maximum of 20mg. Desperate for sleep, I took 40 for a few days, and I had suicidal reactions over the next week. With that said, 10mg does nothing for me, so 2) I would try 15mg. 3) The drug seems to work best at keeping me asleep when I take it in combination with another sedative, like clonazepam. 4) There are some bad next day effects: Anxiety. Fatigue. Depression. For me, these are the tradeoffs for getting a good night of sleep.”

Dudley9101 · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 20, 2019

For Insomnia: “Being a long term insomniac, I was anxious to try Belsomra. My first attempt with this drug was horrible. Absolutely no help. Subsequently, I have found what I believe is the formula for success with Belsomra. It does not put you to sleep like the Z drugs & Benzo's, you must "wash out" from these hypnotics for it to work. In other words, your brain must have titrated off of the other drugs to the point where they have no influence over your sleep. For me, Belsomra become my drug for sleep. No Benzo's or Z drug in 36 months & Belsomra helps me every night get 7+hours of sleep. I must admit the sleep is not deep and I do have vivid dreams every night but at least I wake up somewhat refreshed. I found adding 25mg of Unisom really helps me fall to sleep and stay asleep. If I do awake, I am able to fall back asleep which I was never able to do with the Z drugs. I hope tolerance does not develop with Belsomra like the hypnotics. After 2+ years, it is still works for me.”

Kap · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

For Insomnia: “Took a long time for Belsomra to kick in on an empty stomach for starters. Everything took a horrific turn after that, I had side effects of body numbness and tingling, numb mind, moderate hallucinations in the dark, feeling excitable which was very uncomfortable, which resulted in little sleep. Mind was numb of thoughts but I had lots of anxiety. Morning: terrible. All the feelings came back and mental numbness is slightly still there. I'm genuinely afraid for people wanting to try this stuff especially if they work a job in the morning.”

Nathan · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

For Insomnia: “Belsomra caused side effects of horrible nightmares, sleep paralysis - more than once a night, felt terrible the next day, always tired. Wouldn’t recommend.”

KAS82 November 7, 2019

For Insomnia: “Works if you have no depression, anxiety or snoring that inflicts with normal sleep. Been on SSRI for 12 years and got a major depression after discontinued medication. Now on Belsomra for 5 weeks, and it really works naturally. Still have to work on my issues that inflicts with my sleep, depression from serotonin deficiency, anxiety because of unemployment and a bit of snoring. Took some time for it to start working for me, but I'm really glad to get rid of all "no working sleep aids". Now I sleep more natural and efficient. Give it some time and work for it. ”

Michael · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 4, 2019

For Insomnia: “I’ve been on Belsomra for a year now. It’s hit or miss like all the others with a GIGANTIC price tag. I’ve taken all prescribed insomnia medications. I have idiopathic insomnia so the chances of this medication or any other working were slim to none but this was allegedly the one to cure that. It didn’t. If you need Prior Authorization and have to pay more than your usual copay, save your doctors staff the annoying phone call to the insurance company until the generic comes out.”

KAS82 November 3, 2019

For Insomnia: “I understand that this medication is no superstrong and addictive substance that "knocks" you out. But really? Is that how you want to live, to live a stressed out life that makes you dependent of strong drugs that put you into a coma? I think that Belsomra is a "on point" effective drug, that pinpoint the origin of failure and helps your brain to relax naturally. But it will not work for you all drug addicts out there, you have to work for it. Life change, rehab from sleeping pills and other substances, sorting out underlying problems like depression, snoring, anxiety and so on. I wish you all good luck and hope you give it a 100% fair chance to work. For me it took about 4 weeks to start working on 10 mg, because of my underlying depression, anxiety and snoring. Been on SSRI:s for 12 years and my brain probably change the whole structure of my serotonin receptor system due to long time medication???”

Coker · Taken for less than 1 month November 1, 2019

For Insomnia: “So strange how medications affect different people. My experience with Belsomra at 20 mg was worse than disappointing. I have followed the instructions to the letter and after trying it for 4 nights absolutely nothing, I cannot sleep. My large bedroom is silent, no lights, distracting sounds, perfect mattress and pillow.......zero sleep. I will return to the Dr. tomorrow and request another option. Belsomra at highest strength did not work for me. (Not to mention the exorbitant price).”

Joy yoy October 29, 2019

For Insomnia: “I've had insomnia all my adult life. I was taking Ambien for quite a few years probably 15 or 20 years and my doctor instructed me I had to go off of it for obvious safety concerns. I started on 10 mg of belsomra it didn't help I'm up to 20 mg and night and it still doesn't help. I lay awake in my bed for at least seven to eight hours every night wishing that I could sleep I finally fall asleep for maybe three hours that's it. I really wish I could sleep.”

80sChick October 28, 2019

For Insomnia: “I'm sorry for all that have had bad experiences with Belsomra. I've been taking 15mg for a week. It doesn't work like Ambien. It works differently. You won't feel drowsy. I have to stop what I am doing and lay down. It takes only a few minutes to fall asleep. You MUST take this drug on an empty stomach! It won't work otherwise. I take it two hours after a meal. I've not had any terrible nightmares. Remember for it to work well you have give it enough time, taking on an empty stomach, and it doesn' work the same way as Ambien or a benzo. I gave the drug an "8" because it works well, but not quite as well as Ambien which I was used to taking 20mg! I switched docs and most won't do 20mg, since 5mg is recommended for women, and the 10mg they were giving me just wasn't effective due to the tolerance I built up. I think this medication is good. I'm going to keep using it to see if the effects stay the same or if my tolerance builds to this also. I will report back in a month or so.”

Trudy in Tucson · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2019

For Insomnia: “Belsomra is the miracle I have been waiting for my whole life. It is the only sleep med that has ever worked for me and it works great. Worked the first night. Used it 3 nights, I was amazed and thrilled. After 3 nights I started sleeping normally again! I will use it only when needed, I have not needed it but it's there if I want it. It is a godsend for me. I was able to get the coupon from the company and pay $30 a month but even if I had to pay full price I would do so. No side effects at all. I am thrilled with this med. Thank you Merck!”

DC · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2019

For Insomnia: “Worst garbage I've ever taken to help me sleep. It never made me sleepy, laid awake for hours, then for the 1 1/2 hours I did sleep, I had a really bizarre dream. I felt horrible the next day. NEVER again. Those samples are going to the drug store to put in their medication bin.”

Matthew ReConaughey · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 23, 2019

For Insomnia: “I am an OIF veteran and I developed shift work syndrome from not getting much if any sleep on my 2 deployments. With SWS or narcolepsy, I don’t get much REM sleep. So they put me on Ambien, but loud noises would wake me up, make me walk around and hallucinate without any memory of doing it. Then I was put on Lunesta and one night I didn’t fall asleep right away and I started to hallucinate and they put me on antipsychotics. I gave up on sleeping pills for a while until I stopped dreaming period. Seriously, I was getting 0% REM sleep. So my doctor gave me some 10mg and 20mg samples of Belsomra. I didn’t like them because they didn’t make you drowsy like the other sleeping pills and you have to actually try to go to sleep. But once I got use to it, the 10mg made me have vivid, violent, bloody dreams and the 20mg made me have sci-fi dreams about parallel universes and stuff. So... I take 20s now. Lol I’m just happy to dream again.”