User Reviews for Belsomra

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Belsomra.

Insomnia
3.6

Summary of Belsomra reviews 3.6 310 reviews

Reviews for Belsomra

For Insomnia "I took Belsomra, 1/2 of a 15mg pill, last night, after my doctor gave me Belsomra samples, saying this would help me sleep through the night. I wake up after 4 or 5 hours on Ambien. I have no problems falling asleep, just with staying asleep. Last night, I began to feel sleepy after taking Belsomra, turned off the light, then lay, mind racing for an hour or two, bad images of a gory dreamlike nature. I woke up four hours later, couldn't go back to sleep, ended up taking 1/4 of an Ambien. Intense dreams upon awakening. I have felt tired all day, depressed, headachy. I have taken zolpidem for years. I get 10 mg pills, Northstar brand cut it into 4 pieces. I've never had bad dreams, daytime grogginess or other problems. If I wake up in the middle of the night, with 4 hours until alarm goes off, I take 1/4 10 mg, get back to sleep, wake with no problems. Trazedone made me impossibly groggy the following day. I don't take benzos. I'm sticking with zolpidem."

Mz.Lee February 17, 2018

For Insomnia "I’ve struggled with sleep for years and tried every drug out there for sleep. Nothing has worked so my doctor thought Belsomra would do the trick. I am more awake with this medication and experiencing headaches all day and night. It may work for some people but not me."

Tiger June February 14, 2018

For Insomnia "Belsomra kept me awake! Couldn't sleep. Make it worse."

Rock Turtle (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

For Insomnia "I’ve been using Belsomra for 3 weeks , it didn’t help a great deal with my sleep , I was still waking several times a night . I found I was experiencing dizziness and respiratory issues , struggling to breath of an evening . It’s the first time I’ve experienced side effects with sleep medication."

C. Andrade February 11, 2018

For Insomnia "My doc fought my insurance for a month to get this stupid drug covered and I feel so bad wasting his time. I really wanted to like this med. The first couple of days it helped, but soon after it did nothing. I didn't feel even slightly tired, which I know it isn't supposed to make you exhausted, but it was still awful. My main problem with my insomnia was it'd take me hours to get to sleep, and I'd immediately feel anxious once I got into bed because I knew I'd be up all night. So not even feeling the slightest bit relaxed from belsomra didn't help. Sure, I may fall asleep eventually, but it's not even worth it if I'm still awake and miserable for hours prior to that. I take trazodone now and it's saved me. Ask your doc about that instead."

ikdsanon (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2018

For Insomnia "My insurance stopped paying for Lunesta, so Belsomra was prescribed. Belsomra did nothing for me, it did not put me to sleep, did not make me sleep. I had one moment of sleep with a jarring type dream. I would not recommend this drug for sleeping. I was using 15 mg. It did nothing. Next day I was jittery and out of it. If you are having trouble sleeping don't bother with this drug. I wanted it to work. Very disappointing."

gina25 (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2018

For Insomnia "Yuck yuck yuck. No sleep. Bad dreams. Waste of money. I don't sleep well at all. I take ambien 10 mg for last 10 years. At least it helps me fall asleep. Sometimes I stay asleep for 4 hours, but usually only 2, BUT with belsomra.... 2 hours till I fell asleep, woke up in 1 hour. Dozed back off then had horrible nightmares and no sleep for rest of the night! Terrible!!! I'd not recommend! Back to. Ambien. Btw... I do all the recommended healthy sleep rituals . I just can't sleep!"

No sleep for me February 9, 2018

For Insomnia "This product scared me so much. I remember when I took I had the most disturbing dreams , almost like out of body experience. Each time I felt unsafe , almost like a demonic feel to my dreams. I share a room and my sister told me I kept moving around in my sleep and talking out loud. This product just doesn’t seem right to me , I may have fallen asleep but I woke up as if I never slept at all ."

James2399 February 8, 2018

For Insomnia "I have severe insomnia. 10 months now. I have tried everything. That helped in the beginning but wore off. Ambien is the only thing that would knock me out. Only for couple hours some times and I would take more through the night so I could sleep. After 2 months of that I got withdrawal symptoms from the ambien. They where horrible. And middle of the day I would just want to take my ambien and go back to bed. I slowly ween myself off. But the insomnia came back full swing. So know I'm using belsomra and just 5 mg of ambien. So far it's a hit and miss on how long I'll actually sleep for. I feel like I need Ambien without addictiveness to him"

danny44 (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2018

For Insomnia "Weird horrific dreams... tremors... and last but not least I woke up at 2:30 am every night taking these. It made me feel like I was in an outer body experience. I won’t ever take again!!"

Jade3232 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2018

For Insomnia "It doesn’t work! Enough Said..."

MissBenj February 4, 2018

For Insomnia "I tried Belsomra for the second time and did nothing for me, I took 20 mg and it didn't even make me drowsy. Back to Ambien. I do not like the side effects but it's the only medication that helps me stay asleep."

Sleepless in NC (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2018

For Insomnia "I have dealt with insomnia for much of my life. It's been something I've managed. I have had issue with the Z-drugs, which make me feel very groggy. In any case, I have been off of them for a while. Recently, I had a bout of insomnia. My wife, who is a psychiatrist said that I should try belsomra. My reactions were that 1) in didn't put me to sleep that quickly and 2) it made me feel really sick in the morning. I was in that position and was excited to try Belsomra. Unfortunately, I had the same reaction. People have different reactions to this stuff. I know people who take Ambien every day and have no issue. I am in a category of people that really feel this stuff. While I haven't had much success with the sleeping medications, I have had success with sleep restriction. The issue there is sleep restriction protocols are hard. For two to three weeks you build up sleep up debt, but in the process it easier to fall asleep and the anxiety around sleep lessens. It's something to consider."

dan_t (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

For Insomnia "My dr gave me samples of Belsomra for my insomnia. He said it was safe, very effective and “popular”. I had only 2 hours sleep for days, so I took the Belsomra, as that’s all I was given. Not only did it do absolutely nothing to help me sleep, but it made me feel AWFUL (sick), which kept me up ALL night. Honestly feel that this is a pharmaceutical hoax, after reading through hundreds and hundreds of similar stories online. I was angry at my doctor for throwing drug samples at me, blindly trusting the pharmaceutical company and for making me ill. Don’t take this garbage!!!"

Yael Mirry (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2018

For Insomnia "This drug is amazing so far. I’m on the highest dosage and it knocks me on my butt. I feel tired the entire next day but I don’t care. I’m so happy to be able to sleep without waking up at 3 am and not going back to sleep. I’ve tried 12-15 sleeping pills since 2010 and this one works really well. I just hope I don’t get tolerance and it stops working."

Roxy Cat (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2018

For Insomnia "Belsomra has been a lifesaver for me. I've been suffering from severe insomnia for years and it comes and goes. However during the latest occurrence, I was only getting approximately two hours of sleep a day - I was miserable. In the past I have tried well known prescription meds and none helped; they made me restless and I would walk around like a zombie to snack at night and would vaguely recall anything the next morning. I also tried natural supplements, these did absolutely nothing for me. At wits end I went to see my doctor and he suggested Belsomra. I was very skeptical but glad I tried it. This drug was the answer! I'm finally able to sleep at night without restless night walking."

Jake7773 January 6, 2018

For Insomnia "Belsomra was fantastic when I was first introduced to it, however this only lasted a few nights and I’m fairly sure that it was confirmation bias or placebo effect that caused this. Unfortunately, being a new drug, it’s quite expensive and the cost-benefit ratio isn’t quite worth it. I wouldn’t recommend it as a sole therapy but perhaps as an adjunct with melatonin and at some sort of sedative-hypnotic."

Primary Insomniac (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2017

For Insomnia "As I speak it is the middle of the night. I haven't gotten any sleep, except for a few minutes, and side effects were most unfortunately, disturbing... I've already had problems with sleep paralysis throughout my life and I always found myself using the same word to describe each experience, demonic. Belsomra causes sleep paralysis that is no different. And given the fact, too, that it does not help me with what it was prescribed for and that I also have other more minor side effects like bad tremors, etc. I cannot recommend this medicine, personally. Beware... if you have not tried this before and have had problems with sleep paralysis, please use great caution!"

JosiahWD (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2017

For Insomnia "I took a few samples from my doctor because I wanted to wean off the xanax that I was using for sleep. This drug worked great the first night, I slept like a baby. I took it a 2nd time and had less success than the 1st time. I laid there in a sleep like state, with my mind still racing but restless and tossing and turning, not in a deep sleep at all. It also gives me a vague headache the next day and of course I'm exhausted because it didn't work or it is still lingering in my system. I took it a 3rd time and slept for 2hr and then again, light uncomfortable sleep, was tossing and turning, having scary "dreams" or delusions about noises that I actually hear in the house normally, now sounded like an intruder. I will not be taking it again"

emlu December 18, 2017

For Insomnia "Belsomra did not work for me. It made my bladder get so irritated so I wake up numerous times at night to urinate! It also gave me an anxious feeling in the middle of the night. I was hoping this will helped but it did not."

sleepless head (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

For Insomnia "Just wanted to mention that I wonder if a lot of these reviews are patients who were taken off (probably suddenly), benzo type sleeping pills like Temazepam (Restoril), Triazolam (Halcion), Estazolam, etc. Drs can no longer prescribe them and opiates, and other general fear. Benzo dependence is a nightmare and causes a lot of the side effects reported here. You must be gradually withdrawn from benzos, and even then, can still be a nightmare. The biggest withdrawal symptom, besides feeling like the flu, is insomnia. And Belsomra is not going to help much until you get past the withdrawals. There are many other withdrawal symptoms you can look up. Belsomra 20mg, is ok, but I still have insomnia and early waking, just not as bad."

Caramia2017 December 16, 2017

For Insomnia "Belsomra works well for me. Like some other reviewers have said, it does not make me feel loopy or high or mess with my memory (like ambien, benzos, lunesta) and it doesn't knock me out. I still have to do the work - relax/meditate, get in bed, put screens away, etc. But once I do all that stuff, I always find that, almost without realizing it, I am nodding off - something I am never able to do on my own. It's been really great. It doesn't help me stay asleep (but waking up several times a night doesn't bother me too much - I have a toddler I need to be able to wake up for), and I do occasionally feel a little groggy or headache-y in the morning. But I can fall ASLEEP, which is a life changer."

Sleepy Steph (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2017

For Insomnia "I am probably about 5 or more total years behind the average individual in sleep, total...if not more. First time I tried this medication, it just made me feel sort of weird. Gave me nightmares. I was combining it with other medications though. Have PTSD so need lots of meds. Second time trying it, and what I do is chew up my tablet before bed. I get closed eye visuals which quickly trance me off to a deep sleep. I awake in the morning actually feeling refreshed and alert, though the medication makes me feel like I am in a simulation for real. It has kind of an effect on one's vision similar to marijuana--Afterglow effect but I can function very efficiently. Only drawback is price. I pay all out of pocket but still worth it."

sk0sH (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2017

For Insomnia "I have SEVERE chronic insomnia. I alternate between Ambien, Belsomra and Trazodone - so as not to build a tolerance to any one of them. After nearly two years of following this protocol, it turns out that the lesser of these evils is Belsomra. At first it didn't help, but after a few months it started working pretty well. Ambien causes rebound insomnia. Trazodone causes horrific nightmares. Belsomra is gentle and increasingly effective. Whatever you do, don't take Benzodiazepines. It's easy to become tolerant and then form a physical dependence. Anxiety and insomnia WORSEN. Withdrawal is a living hell. I speak from experience."

sleepy head November 29, 2017

For Insomnia "I was prescribed this medication after talking with my neurologist about my sleep issues. She suggested Zolpidem or Temazepam to help. I declined both meds because my younger brother is an addict who refuses to seek help and I can't bear to have something like that in my possession and have it constantly stolen from me( in spite of me hiding it. ) She decided that Belsomra may help with my issue. Well I have been lucky to get an hour and a half of sleep. I wish that it could have worked for me."

Anonymous November 26, 2017