User Reviews for Belsomra

Learn more about Belsomra.

Belsomra Rating Summary

3.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Belsomra to treat Insomnia

"I started taking Belsomra after my Ambien became not as effective. It was expensive, but I hoped it would change my life. I've had insomnia for almost 20 years. It seemed to work ok at first, but the longer you take it, the worse it gets. Sleep paralysis is just the beginning. Night terrors, violent dreams and very thin sleep followed. By the time I decided to go back to Ambien, I hadn't had a real sleep in months. Don't bother trying."

Bluerio July 9, 2016

"I have been taking this for about a month. I don't know why. It is not only ineffective, but it also comes with some sneaky side effects, such as loss of appetite, increased depression, and back pain. Doesn't even work that well for sleep anyway. Forget about it!"

Johnnie3 (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2016

"This med is not worth 2 cents!! Took 15mg 1st night...tossed and turned...took it at 10:30 and I was still wide awake..I was on serquil but it caused weight gain..I'm asking my psychiatric dr for ambien, or some thing..I'm gonna try 30mg..see how that works. ..I don't like it"

Sgrho (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2016

"Did not help me go to sleep but relaxed me. But I got a headache that seemed to increase during my 10 day trial. I do not like it and will not get any more"

Llalu June 18, 2016

"This was a nightmarish experience for me. I ran out of my regular Temazepam and forgot to pick it up at the pharmacy, so I popped a 20mg Belsomra that my MD gave me a free sample of. About an hour into the drug, I started feeling very dizzy and my head felt so heavy, and I immediately felt this strong urge to knock out and fall into a deep slumber, so I went to my bed and started falling asleep. However, I started experiencing major sleep paralysis - it felt like it lasted for a long time, and my body just couldn't move even though my mind was fully aware and conscious of what was happening. Later on during the night, I kept falling asleep and waking up sporadically. By this morning, I was beat and vowed never to take this again."

Ele321 June 10, 2016

"I have suffered from insomnia for many years and tried a lot of different meds to help me stay asleep. I had no problem falling asleep but I would only stay asleep 1 to 4 hours and some nights I wouldn't sleep at all. Sometimes I went 6 to 14 days with only cat naps for 15-30 minutes during the day. I would even fall asleep exercising riding a stationary bike. But no more! I have been on Belsorma fo about 3 1/2 months and I feel like a new person. Now I'm sleeping 6 -10 hours a night. Sure I still have a few nights(about 10) where I only sleep 3-5 hours. But I'll take that ANY day compared to the past. I started out on 10mg and have just moved up to 20mg. But no side affects. Except perhaps a little weight gain. But it's worth it. Go ahead!"

amierennee (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

"Drug did nothing to help me sleep. I got headaches and also my depression and anxiety worsened. No thanks. Back to ambien."

Mauigurl28 (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2016

"A major rip off even with really good insurance there was a 50 dollar copay! After 6 hours, I was still wide awake Not even drowsy Got up, cooked, went shopping, did housework all day went to bed at midnight, tried it again . Sometime 5 hours later I finally went to sleep from pure exhaustion. Very dissatisfied."

K.kat (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

"I have had trouble staying asleep for several years and have often had trouble being drowsy at work or while driving. I didn't expect much from Belsomra after reading about it, but the 20 mg tablets worked like a miracle. It seems that Belsomra doesn't so much put me to sleep as lets me sleep. I was usually able get back to sleep without any trouble when awakened in the middle of the night, but could function if I had to. I do feel a little "zoned" at night, but nothing like the effects of other drugs. I have no "hangover" the next day, and I feel more alert and energetic than I have for a long time. Given other people's reviews, perhaps this drug is not for everyone, but for me it works very well and may be worth giving a it try."

Oscar the Grey May 2, 2016

"I took 15 mg samples and had success right from the beginning. Fell asleep within 30 minutes and stayed asleep all night! Woke up feeling rested and refreshed!! My fit bit clocked the most deep sleep hours than I ever have without a sleep aid. I am one of those people that does not like taking any medication, so I will use this ONLY when I think I will not be able to unwind and sleep deeply. Exercise and hard work are the best ways to exhaust your body and sleep deeply, and I prefer that before drugs. On a scale on 1-10, my insomnia is about a 7. Belsomra absolutely works with my body chemistry at least for now."

Marsha67 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

"I can fall asleep very easily, but my problem is staying asleep. Not only did this product keep me awake all night, but I woke up with a severe headache, stomach cramps, dizziness, and grogginess the entire next day. I felt like I was hungover. Never again. I'm sticking to Z-Quil."

Worst. Sleep Med. Ever. (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2016

"Helps to fall asleep and stay asleep."

JJNNC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2016

"Got 3 10 mg samples. Tried half a pill first night...nothing. Then tried a 10 mg second night...nothing. Then tried 15 mg and still nothing. Called it quits after that."

bsouthe1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

"It's working well so far. it did take a week to get into my system."

Asiacalico (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

"Two sleepless nights. I took 10mg the first night and 15mg the second night. Giving them back to the doctor since she gave me samples."

Anonymous April 3, 2016

"This was the worst insomnia drug I have ever tried. It seemed to wake me every one to two hours in a semi-awake, paralytic state while still living the nightmare. I also have bad anxiety which it seems to make worse. I recently called my doctor and unloaded on them. Thank God I only took samples and will not be paying for the prescription."

BrandonF30 March 31, 2016

"I've started on the 10 mg. So far so good. I got the first 10 for free. I've tried it with other sleep meds, it seems to perform better with a small amount of Halcion. I think it would perform as good by itself maybe at 15 mg. I'm going to try one more round of 10 tabs (likely the 15 mg). I don't think anything past 20 mgs, would be advisable. I also have little or no hang over as long as I dose around 10 pm and wake up at 7 am. I rate it an 8 right now because it requires a lot of forethought to stay on schedule. It's about as effective as halcion but you reach more rem state sleep and experience very little amnesia like one would on halcion."

Drug_scientist1970 (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2016

"I have been suffering from insomnia caused by from PTSD after giving birth to my baby girl 7 months ago. The insomnia started 3 months in and I tried Ambien and Trazadone. Both managed to barely carve out a few hours of bad sleep a night. Belsomra gave me my life back. I am finally able to go asleep and actually stay asleep for a full 7-8 hours a night. I do still have to take 50mg Trazadone with 10mg Belsomra. It's the best combination ever. The sleep is so gentle and natural too and if I have to wake up to use the restroom, no problem and I go back to sleep. The first 2 days I did have the hangover pretty badly, but it went away after that. It has only been 2 weeks so fingers crossed it will keep working."

Natalie Stiles March 18, 2016

"This medication is worse than useless. It actually seemed to keep me awake and caused me to wake more often during the night than I normally would. After the third night I tried taking it with a xanax (the xanax would normally be enough to help me get to sleep) and it still kept me awake! I'm glad I got this medication as a sample because I would be really angry if I'd had to pay for it."

fakelashes March 12, 2016

"Took Ambien for years but noticed increased short term memory problems, so I switched to Belsomra. Not the same kind of sleep you experience with Ambien. Took about 10 days for me to get used to this one because of the difference. It more mimics how you used to feel when you naturally got sleepy, not a dopey kind of sleep. Also, if you don't sleep because you're an extremely anxious person, you will not find this one as effective. I don't sleep as sound on this one if I have a lot on my mind, worrisome things, versus I just can't sleep because I'm wondering if, for example, Tesla's ideas really will work :)"

Can't sleep March 12, 2016

"I tried this medication for insomnia. I had been taking Restoril 30 mg to help me sleep but it had stopped working as well. My doctor gave me samples of Belsomra to try and said I needed to start at 10 mg but it probably wouldn't work until I titrated up to 20 mg. I had the worst night I've had in a long time after taking this. I became confused and upset. I began crying and became dizzy and felt as though I couldn't breathe. I was terrified to go to sleep. I apparently did fall asleep at some point after lying awake trying to keep from going to sleep due to fear. I had horrible dreams. Never taking this again. Worst night I can remember in a long long time. I've felt horrible all day, groggy, and nervous."

sleeplessinwv March 4, 2016

"I took 10mg Belsomra for a few days and quit because it made me feel drugged and very sensitive to light. Besides that it never worked to make me fall asleep. Also, after about 20 minutes of taking it I got a panic sensation and increased heart rate that lasted about 1-2 minutes. Belsomra is a joke. I went back to Ambien. At least it works and it doesn't give me side effects."

RG2388 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"Took a 20 mg dose. Not only did I not sleep a wink but it gave me a massive headache. I won't be trying it again. Save your money."

Sadie Jane (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"5 8", 130lbs male, 20mg works very well for me. DO NOT expect this drug to work the first night you try it! This is especially true if you just quit a hypnotic like Zolpidem and just started taking it. The initial "paradoxical effect" and unusual dreams subsided after a few days, once my brain "adjusted" to it. (I had a similar effect when I first began using Zolpidem which just made me feel drugged but kept me awake). Also, this drug is specifically made for a neurological hyperarousal condition - that is, for people that are predisposed towards insomnia in either their brain structure or neurochemical composition. If your insomnia is due to sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, bad sleep hygiene, late-shift work, etc, it won't work as designed."

superwound March 1, 2016

"This product did NOT work for me. After two sleepless nights I gave up. My insurance company insists that I stay on this for a week. What a joke."

Bowcheck (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2016