User Reviews for Belsomra

Learn more about Belsomra.

Belsomra Rating Summary

3.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Belsomra to treat Insomnia

"I have severe insomnia. I wanted to try a new drug because my Dr. suggested it. No way will I take another 10 mg tablet. It took 2 hours to take effect. I started feeling sleepy so I crawled into bed. Within 30 min of laying down, my body was unable to move but my mind was racing. I tried to tell my husband what was happening and I couldn't get the words out. It lasted about 10 hours. I had a hard time getting up. I have been confused and foggy all day. I will never do it again."

StephMonk September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took it three times. Each time sleep paralysis occurred. The experiences were incredibly scary and affected me negatively for days . I will not take it under any circumstances."

Meanna September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered from insomnia for years and found Temazapam highly effective. However, I've read that it can be habit forming, and anecdotally, increase likelihood of dementia in older people, which I am. I asked my doctor to prescribe Belsomna when it was approved by the TGA in Australia, as from online research I had done, it looked like it could be a viable alternative. Started off promising - I'd purposely not drunk any alcohol or coffee, went to bed normal time, within half an hour, started to feel drowsy, but didn't fall asleep. Within 1 hour, I was wide awake and didn't sleep till after 3am. Worst ever dry mouth next day; hardly any saliva, which persists several days later; sooo unpleasant. Won't take Belsomna again."

SandyKatz (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I feel odd on Belsomra. I am very active and work out every day. But my muscles now ache and it burns to keep my eyes open. I am finally getting sleep, so that is positive. But I feel like something is amiss. I don't feel as if I need to actually take a nap during the day, but I feel like I am in a giant fog. If that makes sense."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had severe side effects taking the Belsomra & REFUSE to take anymore. I had Very ABNORMAL Dreams where I was fully awake and paralyized in bed. I tried to yell out for my husband and couldn't , I tried moving my arms to get out of bed and felt I was being held back. One of the worst nights of my life. It had such a Demonic tone about it. I wrote my Doctor and and informed her that I will NOT be taking this medication any longer."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I always fall asleep reasonably quickly but wake briefly at the end of each sleep cycle (which get shorter as the night progresses) until about 2am when I remain awake for about 2 to 3 hours. With Belsomra I still wake at the end of each cycle but quickly fall asleep again throughout the whole night. It took some trial and error to get the right dose. A 20mg tablet worked but left me sleepy the next day. 10mg (half a tablet) works well for a whole night without next day sleepiness and 5mg was ineffective."

Nickoman (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dr tried to get me to switch to this from Ambien. I finally gave in and was given six 15mg samples. I am on the 5th night, and have fallen asleep 1 time before 2am. Tonight I took it at 9:30 along with my melatonin ultra and benadryl. It is now almost 12:30 and I'm wide awake. I'll probably get some sleep around 4a.m. like I generally do, but I will wake up feeling awful. This drug gives me the worst feeling in the morning, like I'm sleepwalking with a migraine. I'm going back on the Ambien."

awakeat1229 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a night shift worker and often have a hard time falling asleep after my shift or on my days off when I tend to sleep a more normal schedule. I have been taking 0.5 mg of Xanax as needed for sleep for about 3 years with no side effects. Recently I had to change doctors and my new one will not give me Xanax for fear of dependency. He prescribed Belsomra 10mg. With Belsomra I did not fall asleep. It was as if I took nothing at all. Even when I took 20mg I was awake for hours. With insurance this med cost $40. An absolute waste of money."

Krischris1 (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"amazing 10/10 this improved my sleep maintenance waking up more refreshed each morning. No physical dependence like the other sleep drugs. This drug is ideally used for some one that is treatment naive, so me using a insomnia product for the first time worked exactly the way indicated."

Richardsss August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The WORST night of my life. I can only imagine that this would be what someone would experience if they took hallucinogenic drugs. HORRIBLE nightmares, a sensation that my chest and arms were being restricted, burning. Woke after every VIOLENT nightmare, trying to forget what I'd just dreamt. Headache this morning and TOTAL recall of a night filled with terrible dreams. I am throwing this away!!!!!"

R...never Again* August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor pushed this medication hard. it does not work. at all. Its very expensive."

hendrix887 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doesn't work. Doctor pushed it quite hard, but it really doesn't do anything substantial. Very expensive and useless."

Blobby1243 August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Having tinnitus my sleep is impossible without meds. I have tried most and Doc put me onto Belsomra. Out of 5 weeks its only worked a couple of nights. Its very expensive it and just does not work. It doesn't put me to sleep so I have to take something else with it and wake up every hour. I really think they need to go back to the drawing board with this one and put something in it for sleep."

Anonymous July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking Belsomra (20 mg) for almost a year, and initially it worked great. I was falling asleep in a natural way without feeling I had taken a sleeping pill. After three or four months things started to change. I started feeling a bit depressed with some anxiety. What was really strange is that I would get lots of work related anxiety -- things started bugging me at work that normally would not. It's like small things at work bugged me far more than usual. I could not understand what changed. In addition, I was accumulating some depression and everything took more energy to do. Finally, I started suspecting Belsomra was the cause, so as soon as I stopped, all these symptoms simply evaporated! OMG, I finally can feel the sunshine!"

Nick75 July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Belsomra 15mg about 3 wks ago. It has not worked for me at all. After taking the medication earlier (7:45-8:00 pm) and spending several sleepless nights my Dr increased my dosage to 1 & 1/2 tablets. The last few nights I have been up past 4am. Even when I finally dose off I wake up at least once an hour. I will call my Dr in the morning, I'll be awake. Exhausted! But awake!"

KTJ1986 (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doctor insisted instead of ambien. Did not even make me drowsy after a week of taking each night, but did give a great headache."

Jon burrows (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just had my doctor give me samples of Belsomra. He recommended I take 10mg, but basically told me it wouldn't work unless I took 20. But after reading all the paperwork that came with the samples I decided to just take the 10mg. I took it without food, 30 min before bed as recommended and still 2 hours later I wasn't tired. Today I woke up after having really weird dreams, and all day I've been unusually depressed and anxious. I never, ever had these symptoms or this much trouble falling asleep on Zolpidem. It was pretty clear from how hard my doctor was pushing them that the pharma reps are really trying to get this on the market. I would strongly recommend AGAINST taking this medication, especially if you have depression!"

econstance June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"STAY AWAY,Worst drug EVER!!!!!!!!!"

belsomraproblemsaol.com (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have lived with severe insomnia for 34 years due to a circadian rhythm disorder. When I say that I have tried all sleep medications, you can believe me. My doctor gave my a voucher for a free trial of Belsomra. I was skeptical, then saw a review someone had written who had a very similar sleep disorder. He said to reach more areas in the brain that control the sleep-awake switches, to try it with 1 milligram of melatonin, 50 milligrams of diphenhydramine, and a 1/4 milligram of a benzo. I haven't slept like I did last night since I was a child. I gave it 7/10 because I don't know yet if it was a fluke, but I am hopeful that it will continue to work."

Cautiously optimistic June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 15 mg dose for about a year almost nightly. At best it only had a mild effect at helping me fall asleep and did not allow me to sleep longer than my usual four to five hours. Two unfortunate side effects occurred. Occasionally I would get sleep paralysis which is being fully aware mentally while your body is frozen in a sleep State. This lasts for a few minutes. The other unfortunate side effect is intense grogginess for most of the next day. I found that I spent much of the time during that year sitting in a chair during the day because I did not have the mental or physical energy to get up and do anything. Obviously one gets a tolerance for the drug soon and I would say that after about a month there was virtually no benefit"

Bobbbb (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On midnight shift at work, having a hard time sleeping. Doctor gave me Belsomra and its great - no side effects whatsoever. Be advised I only take 1 or 2 a week, 20mg dose. But I have no side effects and I sleep 8 to 9 hrs a night."

Bb6th (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I will never take this medicine again. I was given some 15 mg samples to try. Was on Lunesta, but it wasn't working. Belsomra did indeed help me sleep, but the am grogginess was terrible. I slept at least 8 hours the night before, but couldn't concentrate. I was in a fog all day. I fell asleep at the wheel twice and ran right through a red light at a busy intersection. It took all day for this medicine to wear off. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone."

Not a fan (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I never take any meds and don't have any conditions. I was faced with a 13 hour flight overnight to Korea. I have always had a hard time sleeping on planes, so I tried a 20mg dose. Holy crap it was bad! Within 30 minutes I had the worst case of hot sweats, upset stomach, and feeling very anxious! Got sick in the restroom and 1\2 an hour later was back to normal. Flushed my samples and just turfed it out."

Krob May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took a 10mg last night and did fall fast asleep but had the worst nightmares ever. Woke up at 3am and did go back to sleep, however, nightmares continued. I was pretty groggy this morning but it passed. Don't know if I want to take another for fear of bad dreams!"

ErnieBlob May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can see why this medication isn't for everyone. I have racing thoughts when I attempt to sleep. I take a 20mg Belsomra, make room dark and set myself up for sleep. My mind must calm because I wake up 5-9 hours later. This doesn't make you drowsy or euphoric. It helps me fall asleep like a normal person. Never will go back to benzos (for sleep) zopiclone, ezoplicone etc."

Boznjerz May 21, 2017