User Reviews for Belsomra

Belsomra Rating Summary

3.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 106 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Belsomra to treat Insomnia

"Rather than help me sleep, it created anxiety and a feeling of pressure in my head. I stayed up the whole night. I would have been better off taking nothing."

Dale April 12, 2018

"Expensive drug and worthless. Didn't help at all, almost like a placebo pill."

Elm (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

"This medication is the only thing that has helped me sleep in the past 3 years. I have been prescribed Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax, Temazepam, Ambien, and Lunesta for sleep. Nothing worked. Recently saw my Psychiatrist who offered me 9 sample pills of Belsomra 20mg. I was hesitant to take the med due to the reviews I read and how new it was. The first night taking Belsomra, it took effect quickly and within 30 minutes I was sound asleep. I slept for 9 uninterrupted hours and woke up feeling great. No headache, not tired or groggy, didn’t feel spaced out whatsoever. For me, this medication has no side effects and has been incredibly helpful in allowing me to fall asleep and stay asleep. So far I have taken Belsomra for 16 nights consecutively and it has proved to work consistently and effectively. Unfortunately it is expensive and there is no generic(yet). But in my opinion, you can’t put a price tag on a solid night of sleep. Always remember, medication can effect everyone differently."

BHB32 April 11, 2018

"This drug acts like a placebo. Does not work at all at 20mg. Awake til 5am every night I used it. Absolutely hated it"

jt (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

"Waste of money did nothing"

Chuck (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2018

"After suffering from insomnia for over 20 years I tried Belsomra after reading reviews,etc. I found it to cause me a little drowsiness but not enough to enable me to sleep. If anything it kept my mind awake and gave me a headache, this happened on every occasion I took Belsomra. The next day I feel horrible, tired and lethargic with still a headache. I have tried many medications over the years and the only one I have found to give me great results and great sleep without horrible side effects is Stillnox. If this is taken correctly, straight before going to bed it is great for insomnia but only downfall is it cannot be used for long periods of time hence the reason I tried Belsomra. Disappointed in what Belsomra offers & what it actually delivers,for $65 for 30 tablets. I was very disappointed"

Jojo (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

"I had no positive or negative results."

Lisa (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2018

"Went to my doctor for anxiety and depression plus PTSD . They insisted that I just needed a good nights rest. After telling them multiple times I didn’t want something that I’d get addicted to. So they gave me a sample of Belsomera! After reading about it I was upset to find it is a class 4 drug. They asked me to give it a try. So I did. 3 days ! That was enough for me to decide I hate it! First night, it made me feel like my tongue was numb and sent me to an anxiety attack I had to call my husband talk me out of it . I had horrible nightmares plus woke up periodically through the night and was exhausted the next day . The second night was the same ! I had horrible nightmares and woke up . Third night ;I had reoccurring night terrors ! Woke up from them absolutely terrified ! 3 days was enough. ! So , didn’t work for me. I gave it two stars because it did get me to sleep pretty fast to be tortured nightmares"

Boo609 (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018

"This drug works for me about 3/4 of the time for about 4 hours of sleep. I tend to dream pretty vividly when I take Belsomra and it wakes me up at times."

Alesha (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018

"I have taken benzos or ambien for sleep and tricyclics. If you are taking benzos or ambien, the first time you take Belsomra without your usual sleep med it will be challenging . Benzos and ambien create withdrawal effects and increase insomnia. My first night was not great as I had taken ambien for over 5 years, but the next night I combined it with doxepin and slept like a baby! Woke up energized. The doxepin took some of the anxiety associated with some of the negative feedback on websites and eased the ambien/ Belsomra transition. I have none of the bad side effects except for an occasional headache but not interruptive. I tend to get migraines when I do not sleep so the headache maybe associated with the Belsomra was nothing. The more you take it the better it seems to work as long as you are on a sleep schedule. I recommend giving this one a shot and for me sleep meds don’t make me drowsy the next day... it’s more will they make me drowsy enough to sleep and say asleep."

Gb March 26, 2018

"There is , as a couple of previously mentioned comments stated, a very demonic feel to the sleep transition. I felt like I was slowly being drawn into a stagnant murky death like state, rather than being afforded a peaceful stage one sleep transition. I kept shocking myself awake feeling as though something was there. Something evil. I typically sleep approximately 2-3 hours a night. ( broken sleep) Sleep anxiety and incessant internal dialogue issues cause me to dread going to bed. When I wake there is sometimes, what I choose to call " subconscious visual residue" ( elements of the dream in conscious state still apparent. These images dissipate in seconds. ( no big deal.... used to it) I also Lucid dream and do not consider this medication compatible with those who do. Nope not for me. Jubie 30 year insomniac I took them (20mg) and by day 3 I had only slept 5 hours combined."

Jubie (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2018

"I’ve been using this medicine for two weeks now. It’s horrible, first week I slept maybe 2 hours a night, the Next week I slept 5 hours. During the day I feel so drowsy I want to just shut my eyes. It messes with daily routine and job. Depression is another side effect that happens also. I was very happy being on Lunesta 3 mg for 5 years now with no side effects. The pharmacist wrote a letter to my doctor to inform her that she needs to cut me back and get me off. My life was completely perfect before this. Now I’m back to where I started 6 years ago with insomnia or a prescription of useless medicine with terrible side effects. How can these people decide what works for me???"

Bullshit drug March 24, 2018

"Got 20 mg samples from doctor. High dose because of chronic inability to fall asleep & stay asleep issues onset by major back surgery almost 4 years ago. Ambiem 12.5 always puts me to sleep very well but only for about 3 or 4 hours. My first experience with Belsomra 20 mg: Took at 8 pm. Went to bed 25 min later. I relaxed to drift to sleep. Periodically felt single itches on body (which weirdly went away after several seconds). Also, one or the other hand "went to sleep" multiple times, so I had to move position to remedy. Also, was under covers, but once felt oddly chilly for awhile. It wasn't working. Finally decided to look at clock. It was 9:30 pm. Thought maybe I was expecting too much. So relaxed again. Still didn't work. Anyhow, it is now 11:45 pm and not sure if I am going to be able to sleep tonight. Very frustrating. Not sure if I will try again tomorrow night. But I might."

Donna113 (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2018

"I’ve seen a lot of negative comments and was nervous to try belsomra. I am a young male currently on no other medication.. have tried 5HTP, melatonin, l-theanine, and unisom with no success. I have been an insomniac for 3 years. It worked great the first night with only side effect being slight pins and needles in hands and feet for a couple minutes, 40 minutes after taking belsomra. Wasn’t “knocked out” just eased into sleep in a way that felt more natural within an hour of taking.. will post again after another week. Cheers"

25-30 male (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2018

"I suffer from Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) and I have problems sleeping. I will get a 3 solid hours a night. I have been on multiple medications with no such luck of getting any rest/sleep. I am tired all day but can not relax and night time is the worst as I can not shut my brain down. My primary prescribed Belsomra. I took it and after 3 hours I was wide awake . I could not even fall back to sleep. I am waiting on a PA but I know I will not waste the money to get it. Glad the pharmacy had a free trial coupon to use. I am back to no sleeping."

Angel M (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2018

"I had a horrible experience with this drug. Unfortunately the side effects did not start immediately, so I purchased it after using the samples. I got severe, almost migraine strength headaches. And it did not work. I couldn’t fall asleep for hours after I took it. And, I felt weird the next day..almost like I was high. It took me several days to figure out that it was the Belsomra that was doing this to me. It is hyper expensive. I paid $375 for it. Even though I did not even open the bag that the pills came in, Walgreens will not refund my money. I only bought it 2 weeks ago. I am going to seriously consider using another pharmacy too. I have been with Walgreens for many years since they opened here. I am a senior on a fixed income and can ill afford to be out this kind of money. I was just trying to get off Ambien. If anyone knows how I can get my money back, please let me know."

SuSu March 9, 2018

"After taking Ambien for years I thought it was time to try something new so I decided to try this after my doctor offered me free samples let me just say it was horrible I was able to try it for 3 Days every morning I woke up with a pounding headache I still have trouble going to sleep I still have trouble staying asleep it was a really bad experience..... I would not recommend this to anybody. Over the counter sleeping aid help me sleep better than belsomra make did. And I didn't wake up the headache with those. And when I say a headache I don't mean just a little headache I mean pounding I could hear it in my ears every time I will take a step head would just feel like it was going to explode. Horrible horrible sleeping aid!"

Tabitha (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

"Doctor started me on 10 mg. I didn't feel it was super effective. Asked for 15 mg for this month. Mistake! Dizzy and headaches during the day, congestion, had an asthma attack and I don't have asthma. Extreme dry mouth and bad mood, (not my norm.) Tonight, itchiness and insomnia. Have also had restless legs and bladder inflammation. Going back to Zolpiderm tomorrow. At least I could sleep til 3. I went to bed at 10, took med. Now 12:33 and wide awake and itchy. Do not take this to sleep. It is rubbish."

JaneyT#wantszzzzz (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

"If I could give it a zero rating, I would. My doctor prescribed this to me on Thursday and it is now Wednesday with only one night of full sleep and I am sure that was from pure exhaustion. Insurance does not pay for this medication as it does not work!"

Jeri Kay (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

"My doctor gave me a sample so I tried it. I’ve had insomnia for years. Tried so many things for sleep that didn't work. Took the sample tablets two 20 mg tablets in two consecutive nights. Worked great. So called the office and told them they work great and had a prescription called in to my pharmacy. They do make me fall to sleep faster so now I sleep 5 hours instead of 3. Guess that’s better than none. But once I wake up to go to the bathroom I have a hard time going back to sleep! The next day I either have a horrendous headache or am extremely tired all day. Don’t like either side effect or expense of Belsomra now that I’m on Medicare-they don’t pay for it! So back to not sleeping again. If only I could sleep at night it would be so nice. I don’t know what it is like to sleep through the night any more. This really sucks!"

Sur (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2018

"This medication is not worth $56, it makes me so tired but I can’t fall asleep, when I finally do I wake up within 2 hrs feeling sick as anything with a bad headache and it makes me feel depressed. I hate Belsomra!! I just want to sleep."

Becca (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2018

"I took Belsomra, 1/2 of a 15mg pill, last night, after my doctor gave me Belsomra samples, saying this would help me sleep through the night. I wake up after 4 or 5 hours on Ambien. I have no problems falling asleep, just with staying asleep. Last night, I began to feel sleepy after taking Belsomra, turned off the light, then lay, mind racing for an hour or two, bad images of a gory dreamlike nature. I woke up four hours later, couldn't go back to sleep, ended up taking 1/4 of an Ambien. Intense dreams upon awakening. I have felt tired all day, depressed, headachy. I have taken zolpidem for years. I get 10 mg pills, Northstar brand cut it into 4 pieces. I've never had bad dreams, daytime grogginess or other problems. If I wake up in the middle of the night, with 4 hours until alarm goes off, I take 1/4 10 mg, get back to sleep, wake with no problems. Trazedone made me impossibly groggy the following day. I don't take benzos. I'm sticking with zolpidem."

Mz.Lee February 17, 2018

"I’ve struggled with sleep for years and tried every drug out there for sleep. Nothing has worked so my doctor thought Belsomra would do the trick. I am more awake with this medication and experiencing headaches all day and night. It may work for some people but not me."

Tiger June February 14, 2018

"Belsomra kept me awake! Couldn't sleep. Make it worse."

Rock Turtle (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

"I’ve been using Belsomra for 3 weeks , it didn’t help a great deal with my sleep , I was still waking several times a night . I found I was experiencing dizziness and respiratory issues , struggling to breath of an evening . It’s the first time I’ve experienced side effects with sleep medication."

C. Andrade February 11, 2018