User Reviews for Belsomra

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Belsomra.

Belsomra Rating Summary

3.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Belsomra to treat Insomnia

"After being on Tamaze for 15 years, I was told I need to go off it, as it is a drug of dependency & dangerous to mix with my pain meds long term. For the next 6 months without it, I was lucky to get 1 solid hr of sleep without waking every 10 minutes & would go for many days with no sleep at all. Eventually my doctor said having no sleep is just as bad for me long term & prescribed me Belsomra 20mg, as doesn't have the same chemical make up as most sleeping tablets. Even though expensive it has been a life saver for me and when I do lie down, I'm usually asleep for 5 or 6 hours solid. I have many side effects & allergies to most medications, but Belsomra has very few side effects, which I have none so far & worth ever $$"

Sweet Deams November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ambien gave me some terrible if not embarrassing sleep walking or dream walking events. I won't even mention in detail how horribly embarrassing those events were. So my doctor told me to give Belsomra a try. So I did and per habit, I also took some melatonin. Well, to my surprise, I had the best nights rest I've had in months. Fell asleep within the hour, no nightmares or strange things. No hangover feeling and I felt very well rested, ready to take on the day and was on point all day!"

Cisco S. November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helped sleeping but not significantly more than other types of medications. And without the deal from the manufacturer it was very, very expensive"

Jenmarie444 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started out on 10mg, worked a couple of nights, slept great, then it didn't work anymore, just be awake wishing I could sleep. Dr raised dose to 20mg. Worked great for about 10 nights, now I'm here awake wishing I could fall asleep. No bad dreams or paralysis, just can't fall asleep. Going back to try something else. Dang it! Was hoping this would work."

Happycowboy November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug at 20 mg had no effect at. Not worth it."

godell November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I struggled with Insomia for years and have done everything from meditation to sleep studies to holistic treatments with little relief. I currently take 6.25 zolipden 3x a week and has changed my life for the better. Being open to new suggestions, I was prescribed Belsorma. I gave it a solid try for one week and the side effects were truly horrendous; sleep paralysis, immobility, lucid nightmares, feeling foggy and "lost" in the morning. Plus bloat, stomach pains and overall fatigue. I deduced that I basically didn't sleep at all. I returned the remaining medication to the pharmacy for disposal. Read ALL the warning labels before trying this drug and take with extreme caution. Costly as well."

Name withheld November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't think this drug deserves such a low rating. Most people don't realize this isn't a benzo; it will NOT make you drowsy or "loopy." That can lead to frustration and tossing/turning in bed waiting to feel that effect. Instead it is more like a light switch. One minute you're laying in bed, before you know it you're WIDE awake the next morning. I used to fight to wake up at noon after sleeping for 9+ hours. Now I wake up on my own after 6-7hrs and feel more alert and ready to get up than ever. No nightmares, no hangover, this drug has tremendously improved my quality of life. If your doc recommends it, just TRY it and go from there. And remember people are more apt to leave reviews if they've had a bad experience rather than a good one."

ikdsanon (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started out with the lower dose it did not work so I was put up to the highest dose it still does not seem to work what do I do"

Ramon Lee November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am in my seventies and my doctor asked me to try and wean myself off of Ambien by using this new drug called Belsomra. Last night using the drug for the first time I had the one of the worst nights of my life. I had horrific and frightening nightmares where I felt like I was awake but I couldn't get up and I never felt like I went into a deep sleep. All day long today I have felt like I'm in a fog and my equilibrium is off. I will never use this drug again it is a nightmare in itself."

30 years on Ambien November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug did nothing to help me sleep. I tried 10 mg to start and felt no difference. 15 mg also gave me no results but a shaky feeling in the morning. I tried 20 mg which also just made me feel shaky the next day. I had no change in sleep patterns and continued to wake up after 2hrs and every hour after. I did the ten day free trial."

Jrota November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug can cause extremely frightening night terrors & paralyzing of your body, also with the inability to speak. I got zero real sleep because during the night terrors my eyes were wide open. It was one of the worst nights I have ever experienced in my life & I was very angry. Be very careful if you try it."

Sleepless in Atlanta (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2017

"Didn't work for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to take Ambien, which stopped working. With belsomra the night one pill I took 30 minutes before desired bedtime as directed and felt nothing. I eventually started to drift into sleep only to be reawaken by vivid and downright gory “dreams”. Every time I was “dreaming” I was very aware of everything around me. I knew I was trying to sleep but never got into a deep enough sleep to not be aware of everything around me or no longer in control of my thoughts/dreams. I got about 2 hours of light rest. I got up without any grogginess the next day. The next night I did as directed and again felt nothing. Never got to sleep. Later that day I had a migraine, nausea, upset stomach and felt overall HORRIBLE. Will never take again due to not working and side effects."

Sswisher (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a terrible experience with this drug. First of all, it still took me a long time to fall asleep. When I did, I couldn't wake myself up when I had to. I also had hallucinations of flying creatures around the room, even with the lights on, that were very frightening. The next day, I felt like I had a terrible hangover, and had a headache that lasted all day. I was drowsy all day and just had to drag my self around, even into the next day. I really think the FDA needs to review this drug! Overall it was a very disturbing and unpleasant experience!"

Anonymous October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

" This hideous medicine. I took it for a few days and not much help then the weird santanic dreams started with not being able to jump outta bed or move. The bedroom was nice and quiet and as soon as I'd started to fall asleep it would sound like people were on my roof throwing pieces of metal on the ground. The most horrible hallucinations... throw this stuff away"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrific RX! Belsomra had absolutely NO effect in inducing sleep. I have been awake all night-every night, feeling like my heart is racing and feeling flushed. This script is fabulous if you'd like bouts of diarrhea and headaches."

Insomniac In Texas October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Does not help with sleep on a regular basis. Once or twice it has helped with getting to sleep only to awaken within an hour or two."

Smv October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"WOW, I just blew $350 today. I have Advanced Sleep-Wake Disorder. Fall asleep early, wake up before midnight, say 3 hours sleep at best over one year. SO, doctor said Belsomra was a good med so I got my 30 day supply. Well, asleep at 7PM and awake at 10:25 PM... Couldn't tell I even took the pill since I have no trouble falling asleep, just can't stay asleep and wake up like somebody slapped me... Geesh, I don't even have some of the silly side effects mentioned either... I'll try it for a week, then my wife says out comes the skillet. I don't see this medication doing anything, probably end up making me more awake...."

Quando62 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is a terrible mistake. My psychiatrist prescribed Temazeam to help with my insomnia. I went to my GP cause the shrink is hard to see on the spur of the moment. When I told him I couldn't sleep, his eyes lit up like it was Christmas. "Oh, there's something brand new that I think will be perfect for you. Belsomra." The only good advice he gave me was to start it on the weekend. What he didn't tell me about was the nightmares, the sensation of being awake all night, the sleepwalking and the after-buzz that comes after you've been on it for a few days. Now after 5 nights of trying to give this crap a chance, I'm feeling withdrawal symptoms, a horizontal vertigo that is persistent and disorienting. How did this get approved?"

KNR (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have insomnia and trying to get off Ambien. Have taken 20 mg of Belsomra for 2 nights. It does not make me sleepy, barely sleep, if at all. I have really negative dreams related to self esteem and my legs really hurt, making it hard to walk and feels like I did an hour of squats. So far thumbs down!"

MDRBrady October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"What a complete waste of money! The first night I took it I slept for four hours, the second night I took it I did actually sleep for six hours..it's 2:30 in the morning and I'm still wide awake the third night."

Songbird661 October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Both Ambien and Lunesta work great but they are now in generic form so they are cheap - so my doctor was obviously paid in order to push Belsomra on me. One night was enough to convince me that this stuff should not be on the market. Not only did this not help me to sleep, I was a zombie the entire day afterwards (20mg). "

DarrenBelsomra September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have had intractable insomnia since having neurological Lyme disease. The infection is under control but left me with issues with cortisol levels & neurotransmitters. Benzodiazepines worked great, but MD's became concerned since I'm in my 60's and elderly people are at higher risk of side effects. Weaned off benzo's & tried Belsomra. 1st try, got the full body paralysis mentioned by others. Plus hellish, horrible waking nightmares. Felt like I'd gone insane. Demonic, yes. The labeling states if you take it & get mental disturbance, Belsomra has problem of triggered pre-existing, underlying mental illness. Poppycock. This drug is frightening. IMHO it's useless, overpriced, and dangerous. The 2nd time no sleep, nothing, zip, nada. DONE WITH IT."

Sleepless-in-Sacramento (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe insomnia. I wanted to try a new drug because my Dr. suggested it. No way will I take another 10 mg tablet. It took 2 hours to take effect. I started feeling sleepy so I crawled into bed. Within 30 min of laying down, my body was unable to move but my mind was racing. I tried to tell my husband what was happening and I couldn't get the words out. It lasted about 10 hours. I had a hard time getting up. I have been confused and foggy all day. I will never do it again."

StephMonk September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took it three times. Each time sleep paralysis occurred. The experiences were incredibly scary and affected me negatively for days . I will not take it under any circumstances."

Meanna September 15, 2017