User Reviews for Belsomra

Belsomra Rating Summary

3.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 105 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Belsomra to treat Insomnia

"This is the only medicine that has worked for me without bad side effects. It makes me so tired and relaxed about an hour after I take it. I do have some weird dreams but nothing bad. I am never groggy the next day and I always feel like I got a good night's sleep. I love it."

Savannah (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2018

"I have trouble falling asleep. I have used 15 mg temazepam for five years with no problems. My doctor thinks it is a dangerous drug, and we have been exploring alternatives. I took 10 mg Belsomra last night after I became drowsy. Not only did it keep me wide awake all night, it also caused a very mild paralysis."

sashamanda (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2018

"Dr.took me off Lorazapam, said l couldn t take any more, because l also took percocet for back pain. I was given samples of belsomra, this is my 3rd night of the drug. I am wide awake at 2 am haven't slept for the past three nights."

sanraz (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2018

"It took a while for this drug to start being predictable but after I'd say a month I now sleep reliably every night with only a few wake ups and never for too long. At first I had the worst nightmares I've ever experienced and didn't sleep any better. But I persisted and read up on how to best use it. You need to wait till a good bedtime for you and take it then. Give it 15 minutes or so then go to sleep without distraction. Don't expect to feel drowsy. It works by turning off your thoughts and activating your brains sleep centre. Don't take more than prescribed or it will not work. Don't take it during the day either. It is unlike any other sleep meds that I know of. Give it at least a month trial. It's really very effective once you understand it."

Nevertooold (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2018

"This medication doesn’t do anything for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

"Gave me the most painful migraines. Will never take this again."

C (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2018

"I had gallbladder surgery about a month ago and haven’t been able to sleep since. I tried the Belsomra and it made me sleep a good 9 hours but the next day I felt sleepy all day. Not for me!"

Rog July 7, 2018

"I am in need of something to make me sleepy. I can stay asleep fine, it is just getting there that is a problem. This did not help."

snowy (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2018

"Those of you giving up too soon are doing yourselves a grave disservice. It took 5 days until this drug started to work for me at a 30mg dose. On the fifth night it was only 4 hours and I felt kinda un-motivated during the day and with a headache. The next night it was 5 and a half hours and same unpleasant side-affects. The night after that it got all the way to 7 hours but still the same side-affects. However from that night on-wards I got a solid 7 to 8 hours sleep every night and finally no more side-affects. The headache lifted and I got my motivation back too. I just wish I could take a normal 20mg dose but that just does not work for me. With 30mg, I am yet to develop a tolerance after 48 days of use thank god. In Australia, get it from Chemist Warehouse as its only 58 dollars for the 20mg 30 days supply. Those of you getting the sleep paralysis, try no sweets after dark."

Crazy Mole (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2018

"I have had diagnosed chronic Insomnia for about 2 years. I had trouble falling asleep; sometimes to the point where I would be awake for 3 full days and 2 full nights and would end up so exhausted that I’d get delirious and physically sick. I would also constantly have broken sleep, and would be up and down all night. In the past 2 years I have tried Endep, Valium, Temazepam, Nitrazepam, Mirtazapine, Stillnox, Seroquil, Catapress, and various herbal remedies as well as antihistamines. All of those medications would either not work at all, or would only work for a night or two. Belsomra has worked for me almost immediately. I start to feel drowsy around 30-40 minutes after taking it and fall asleep quickly once I am in bed. I usually don’t wake up during the night but if I do, I have been going back into a deep sleep quickly and easily. I also feel refreshed and energetic when I get up of the morning, so there has been no “hangover” drowsiness the following day."

Peccadilloes July 2, 2018

"I sometimes forget to sleep, sometimes I realise I've been awake for 2 or 3 days. My body suffers, particularly my eyes - they sort of gum up and I look stoned - although, I do not do any drugs or drink any alcohol. I took Belsomra, and got distracted several times, as I often do - reading late into the night. I noticed an hour or so later that my memories had become more vivid. I'd close my eyes and be transported - very cool stuff. I eventually decided to go sleep around 4am, excited by this side affect. The most lucid dreams I'd ever had. I slept until my alarm went off at 8.30am (I live at work, so my turn-around-time is minimal). I awoke in the best mood. I do, however, see how this medication could be negative. If I had evoked negativity by reading something terrible or watching horror - then I feel I may have awoken differently. That was my first time trying Belsomra (I had a free sample) I will get a script tomorrow."

Devvy June 27, 2018

"I have had insomnia for years and years. After about 1 hour I was able to sleep on Belsomra. The problem I had with it was waking every hour. It would be suddenly as if someone was waking me from a deep sleep."

girlie (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2018

"Just plain does not work as a sleep aid ,very expensive as well"

Gary (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2018

"I’ve been on sleeping pills for 20 years. I like this drug, but the downside is it doesn’t knock me out. However, when I fall asleep I stay asleep. If I happened to get up in the middle of the night, I can go right back to sleep. "

Anonymous June 23, 2018

"The best nights of sleep I have had in all the years after losing my son. Was on ambien 8 years and would get about 4 hours a night doctor changed to Belsomra at 10mg and I have slept for seven hours a night it has been a miracle and I have no side effects or groggy in the morning only thing it is expensive but I am trying along with doctor to get a lower price from manufacture. I guess it effects everyone different after reading reviews but it has been a life saver for me. I am also not tired during day and not addictive like ambien."

Wally June 11, 2018

"Took belsomra which didn't work. Instead it brought on panic attacks. Wow not good for me"

Suz June 7, 2018

"I am an attorney under a lot of stress and have difficulty sleeping. My primary care physician stopped prescribing all my medications (including seizure). I was referred to a new neurologist and he prescribed belsomra at 5mg. After 5 days of getting less than 4 hours sleep and he said to stay with the dosage for one month. This is unacceptable to me. I find this is not a good sleeping aid all."

JHS (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2018

"If there was a way to give negative stars I would. Where do I start? My insurance company required a pre-auth. It took my docs office awhile to fulfil the request, which I already anticipated. Then I get the call from the doc that the pharmacy has it! I'm like, YES! I can sleep. Well, the pharmacy says it's on order. Ugh, fine. I wait another day. Get it and that night took the pill and waited for it to work its magic. Problem is that it never worked any magic. All it did was keep me WIDE awake for hours. It was stupid expensive. Just don't try this stuff--it's a waste of money."

Momma416 (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

"This is the worst med I've taken for my sleep problems (Insomnia). It has not helped at all. I did the 9 days and then my Psych prescribed me the 30 day supply. I've taken 20 mg Belsomra at night and nothing."

Jay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2018

"Trying this drug for one night was one of the scariest experiences ever and I feel thankful to be alive today. I had extreme hallucinations and did not sleep. I was trying to operate my phone and I couldn’t. I was alone, and was thinking of calling 911, but I couldn’t manage to operate my iPhone! I have had severe chronic insomnia for 10 years, and I’ve been taking eszopiclone (Lunesta) every night for all of that time. Eszopiclone doesn’t always work fantastically for me and I decided to give Belsomra a try for a night. Now I’m feeling thankful that eszopiclone works so well after the horrible experience of trying Belsomra."

Lillian (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2018

"Have suffered from insomnia on and off for 20 years. Currently average 4 hours of sleep at night. I am currently RXd 3mg of Klonopin, so 1mg at night as well. My psychiatrist RXd 20mg Belsomra. My insurance doesn't cover it, so it was $330 for 30 tablets - insane. So I did the 'free trial' offered by Merck. I took my first tablet last night, 20mg Belsomra (and 1mg Klonopin) at 9:45pm. I was shocked that it started working so quickly - within 10 minutes I started feeling the effects. I felt a heaviness in my body, and a weird 'out of it' feeling. After 45mins or so, I was out of it. It was unpleasant and stronger than the Z drugs. I did fall asleep much quicker than usual, and slept through the night. Upon awakening I was groggy. So, im giving it a 5 out of 10, as it did put me to sleep and keep me asleep; however, the side effects were borderline intolerable - and it's expensive. Be aware that the physical effects are especially potent."

ASB May 26, 2018

"I am being forced to change from Ambien to Belsomra, as My Doctor will no longer prescribe Ambien after 10 years . I am scared to death of going to bed tonight. I am not able to take medications such as Tylonal PM or Nyquil because they give me night terrors , I also have tried Lunista and it was horrible. I hope this stuff works."

page han May 25, 2018

"I was taking Belsomera for one month from January to February 2018 and I suffered 2 seizures with in 8 days. I don't recommend this medication at all. I am 70 years old and a male. I think the seizure risk should be listed on the side effects."

Barneyg4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2018

"Good, experience for me first night with Belsomra. We all know that the drugs effect us all differently. I just hate the we sufferers have to just try a new Med before we know how it will effect us. The reviews can be terrifying to super encouraging... I have super bad bouts with insomnia. ZERO sleep for more nights in a row than I care to recall. It just doesn't even seem real. I have limited success with the Benzos at high dosage, but the side effects, namely the depression is just unbearable the next day. Same thing with Ambien. I am so encouraged by the Belsomra last night, as it seemed like I was running out of options. I got samples for 20 mg, but I am leery of the drugs nowadays, so I cut it in half (along with 25 mg of Benadryl about 1/2 hour earlier). I wanted to see if I tolerated it before going to 20 mg if necessary. Seemed to lull me to sleep and keep me there. I woke up once during the night. Honestly, the best night sleep I've had in a couple months. Really thankful."

kcocilo May 22, 2018

"I’m writing this from my hospital bed. Yesterday taking my daughter to the doctor I collapsed at the office. Out for about 5 minutes. Don’t remember much of ambulance ride to hospital. I had slurred speech. Couldn’t move arms or legs. Thought I had a stroke. Blood test came back positive for barbiturates. Belsomra is the only thing new in my system and after reading this happened to someone else it’s safe to say I will never take it again. Husband flushed it down the toilet. I collapsed in front of my 17 year old daughter and scared her and hate that this happened."

Tina (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018