User Reviews for Belsomra

Learn more about Belsomra.

Belsomra Rating Summary

3.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Belsomra to treat Insomnia

"I never take any meds and don't have any conditions. I was faced with a 13 hour flight overnight to Korea. I have always had a hard time sleeping on planes, so I tried a 20mg dose. Holy crap it was bad! Within 30 minutes I had the worst case of hot sweats, upset stomach, and feeling very anxious! Got sick in the restroom and 1\2 an hour later was back to normal. Flushed my samples and just turfed it out."

Krob May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took a 10mg last night and did fall fast asleep but had the worst nightmares ever. Woke up at 3am and did go back to sleep, however, nightmares continued. I was pretty groggy this morning but it passed. Don't know if I want to take another for fear of bad dreams!"

ErnieBlob May 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I can see why this medication isn't for everyone. I have racing thoughts when I attempt to sleep. I take a 20mg Belsomra, make room dark and set myself up for sleep. My mind must calm because I wake up 5-9 hours later. This doesn't make you drowsy or euphoric. It helps me fall asleep like a normal person. Never will go back to benzos (for sleep) zopiclone, ezoplicone etc."

Boznjerz May 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Actually came out of hospital, because I have been suffering from long term insomnia and was prescribed Belsomra 15mg as a 'last resort' option. In my experiences I have already tried Temazepam, Valpam, Valium, Imovane, Seroquel (quetiapine) etc. All those drugs eventually just building up my tolerance each time and I become dependent on them to sleep. I however did try the antidepressant Valdoxan 25mg (Agomelatine). THIS REALLY HELPED ME FOR MONTH. My body really built up tolerance to it and eventually I needed 50mg and then it just stopped working for me after 5 months, but I can assure you it reallllllly helped my insomnia for that short 5 months. *Will CONTINUE IN ANOTHER POST*"

Tamina (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was hoping this would be a better long term sleep therapy than Ambien (Belsomra studies reported that was the case), so I gave it a try. I took 15mg at the same time I would have taken my Ambien. It certainly didn't work as well as Ambien when it came to falling asleep... it took 30-40 minutes before becoming sleepy enough to fall asleep. Though I slept pretty well for about 8 hrs, and would have otherwise rated this medication an overall "5", I awoke with the worst anxiety that I have ever experienced. I felt like climbing the walls! It was so physically uncomfortable that I had to just get up and bag the idea of sleeping in on a Saturday morning. Three hrs after waking, the anxiety subsided enough that I was able to sit and relax."

Sleepynoggin (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on zolpidem for several years and only take about 2.5 mg of my 10 mg tablet. I tried Belsomra 10 mg (samples) Thursady night at 9 pm and I did not feel sleepy. The second night I took a 10 mg table at around 9 PM I still do not feel sleepy so around 11 PM I took another 10 mg tablet and within 30 minutes I felt weird and I knew I was going to have a rough night ahead of me and I was not going to get a good quality night sleep, which I did not!!!! The next morning which was Saturday (THANK GOD I didn't take 20mg during the weekday) I felt horrible all day long and napped throughout the day up until 5 PM where I force myself to get up eat something drink a Mountain Dew just to feel alive again!!! This medication is horrible"

Tina001 May 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am rating this as 'not effective' advertising. There is nothing that makes me want to avoid a product more than having their ad pop up over an article I'm trying to read, waiting for it to load, then having to close out of it without accidentally clicking on the add. I've seen this ad four times now. If I am ever on the market for a sleeping aid, I would dose myself with something else before buying this."

LW annoyed May 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffer from insomnia for nearly 8 months now and have tried melatonin, OTC sleep aids, ambien, trazadone, etc nothing worked. Asked my doctor if I could try belsomra and was given a sample 10 mg dose for 3 days, it kept me awake all last night and tonight as well. So tired of not being able to sleep!!!"

CynJW (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a very negative experience with this drug. I suffer from initial and maintenance insomnia and nothing has worked but this drug did something others didn't - it made the insomnia worst and I couldn't sleep at all. I was in and out of sleep the first couple of hours, I took it at 9pm, and then couldn't go back to sleep after waking up at 1:30am. It got me wired. Also, the little time I did sleep I had VERY weird dreams and it made my feet (mostly toes) hurt a lot. Very bizarre experience and a huge set back for me :( I took 15mg dose, sample from doctor."

Ez1981 May 3, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have long QT syndrome. So I can not take anything to help me sleep because it could cause cardiac arrest. However I have a horrible time trying to fall asleep and stay asleep. It's terrible. But I can take Belsomra safely. And it has been a God send for me. I take the 20mg dose and as long as I am in bed at the time it kicks in , I fall asleep fairly easily and stay asleep for a solid 6 hours. I wake up feeling refreshed. ( I had a bad case of insomnia- 3 hours to fall asleep.. waking up 4 or 5 times a night- getting 3 hours of sleep a night if that) Belsomra has made sleep possible."

LQTS ashley (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Like so many others, I tried it. I tried at 10, I tried it at 20. Nothing, except morning dizziness. How tremendously disappointing. I've gone back to my 2 Unisom's ( orange not blue). At least Im getting a few hours sleep with that. With as many poor reviews, you have to wonder who Merck paid off to have this thing approved. I especially dislike the over the top packaging. How much did that increase the costs? Shame in all of them."

Jrheck55 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This at lowest dose lowered my inhibitions undesirably. Would not take again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"THIS DRUG KILLS. IT SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE MARKET. A few days after beginning taking this medication, my father started acting very strange and aggressive. He told his doctor he was feeling emotional, the doctor had him continue taking the drug. Ten days later, he put a gun to his head and killed himself. I filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and requested a list of all the adverse effects reported in association with this drug over the past couple years. There were SIXTY cases that ended in death. My suggestion: read through all the reviews here before you start taking this drug. They are messing with a part of the brain that shouldn't be touched, and the company's clinical trials were NOT thorough."

BelsomraKills (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor prescribed for menopausal insomnia, it has helped me tremendously, I am finally sleeping thru the night. Give it a chance, everyone reacts different to medications. For me its great."

Alleypow April 21, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Wow a 2.5 mg pill so half a 5mg tablet worked amazingly. I can't believe how well it worked!"

JoshDisney April 19, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took this medicine last night. Worst experience I have ever had with medicine. I began sweating felt wired up could not sleep at all. This is a bad drug. I have not felt right at all since taking it. Would not recommend this at all."

TJ1285 April 14, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This did nothing to help me go to sleep or stay asleep. Very expensive, up all night and foggy with tingly legs. Not worth "waiting for it to work" as my doctor suggested. 3 nights of no sleep is enough. Nothing. Total waste of money and had headaches each day."

Anonymous April 14, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After trying Ambien and Lunesta without success, Belsomra was very effective in providing a continuous night's sleep. The 15mg pill worked with in 30 minutes, as indicated. I enjoyed a restful 7 hours of sleep and did not experience any side effects. I awoke at my usual time and was rested and alert. This is a fantastic product!"

Happy customer April 11, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The only positive thing to say is that it made me sleep 6 1/2 hours straight although it didn't help me get to sleep. The reason I laid down was because I became very dizzy and woke up feeling the same which has induced anxiety. I have felt completely off balance similar to vertigo. I have taken stronger sleep aids that didn't give me this effect. I was very hopeful. A waste of $90.00."

MkayeTarp March 26, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After fighting with my insurance to get Belsomra, thinking it would work well for me the exact opposite is true. The medication has had no effect on my Sleep Maintenance Insomnia ( waking in the middle of night) all it has actually done is make me feel worse through out the morning and most of the day. This medication may work for a few but not for the majority. Just look up all the reviews. What a waste of Money."

Dabernie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It should be an over the counter drug. It does not induce sleep in fact doesn't do anything Merck should be embarrassed. My sorry insurance company made me switch from generic Lunesta because that have this stupid rule about prior authorization . My doctor does not give prior authorizations ( I will be changing doctors soon). This drug is not even worth the insurance discount I get, it's not even worth being on the market. I feel stupid paying 35 bucks for it, couldn't imagine being stupid enough to pay more than that for it."

H Victor (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Tried the 20 mg 10 pack free trial... tried it 5 times and saw absolutely no results... woke up every hour and a half or so the entire night. Did not feel foggy in the morning. With my insurance the Rx would have been $90 a month. NO THANKS!"

sparky! March 16, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Did not work the first night, was awake all night, felt so bad I called in sick the next day. It took about 3 nights before it did anything at all. Lunesta is a much better choice. My insurance won't even cover generic lunesta, somebody must be getting paid off."

Swampbelly (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My Dr wanted to change my prescription of ambien CR. And put me on belsomra. Didn't sleep for more than 10 minutes at a time, then couldn't tell if I was asleep or awake. Probably the worst nights sleep I've ever not had. On top of this, I also suffer from depression. If you do, DON'T take this drug. The next day all my work colleagues kept asking me why I was so sad. I know you are supposed to take it for a few days. I can't take that risk. I'll just buy ambien if I have to. I've been taking it for 10 plus years and have never had any side effects just good night's sleep. I can't believe how depressed I'm still feeling. "

Sad and sleepy March 11, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My insomnia has gotten out of hand recently and diphenhydramine and melatonin were no longer working for me. I received the sample pack of suvorexant from my doctor. I took 20 mg and it had absolutely no effect on me at all. Took a few hours to go to bed and woke up less than 4 hours later. What a joke! Maybe it works for others and maybe I have some problem with my thyroid for example (still waiting to receive results from my bloods) that causes this not to work for me."

Haxus March 10, 2017