User Reviews for Zolpidem

Insomnia
7.3

Summary of Zolpidem reviews 7.3 790 reviews

Reviews for Zolpidem

For Insomnia: "I used zolpidem (generic Ambien) for about 13 years due to insomnia because of chronic pain. It worked very well and my dosage went from 5mg to 10mg over time. However, as I turn 72 my insurance (Medicare) won't cover more than three refills a year. My doctor tried other meds like Trazodone 50mg which gave me the feeling of prickly skin (like Niacin flushing), Temazepan 7.5mg and I also tried over the counter sleep meds. I have had spine fusion surgery which has reduced my pain a lot. But I had also become dependent on zolpidem for sleep. My only answer was to reduce the dosage over a month's time and I finally got to 2.5mg or 1/4 tablet. I can now use the OTC meds but for some reason they cause me to wake up with hip pain in the middle of the night (might be arthritis). Now with a Rx for three months I can cover 360 days."

Babbel (taken for 10 years or more) June 9, 2019

For Insomnia: "I take it and sleep in 20 minutes or so, I have a good night, I don't sleep too much, and in the next day I'm not sleepy, so it works perfectly. The only side effect that I'm struggling with is amnesia, as I am starting to get to a weekend and notice I don't remember my week, and it gets even worse if you consume alcohol or take it and stay awake. With alcohol (even not drinking much) I came to forget that I went to bed and woke up believing I was going to sleep, and forget the whole morning after. And once I took it as I thought I was going to sleep and a friend called me to go out, and I didn't drink a drop but I forgot the whole night and "woke" the other day in the lunch not remembering if I slept or what happened or what I did in the morning. I'm not sure if it's only because of the Zolpidem or because I consumed alcohol at beginning but I felt very dizzy at first, during day."

Kenezy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "Ambien is AWFUL!! This is my first night on it, I was taking Lunesta. It is 3:47am right now and I am so upset - not only does it not help insomnia it makes it sooo much worse. It did not help me fall asleep, I woke up within the first two hours of taking it and have not gone back to sleep since then. Can’t wait for my alarm to go off!"

Sleepdeprived (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I’ve been using Ambien two to three nights a week for 6 months now (due to split shift at work). Have had no side effects like I’ve heard about. Doesn’t make me groggy when I awake, unlike other sleep medications like Unisom. Puts me asleep within 20 minutes, I stay asleep for 8 hours. Few times I woke up after a 3 hours, but that’s rare. Very helpful if you have a hard time sleeping."

Achilles (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "My oncologist (I'm fighting cancer) prescribed Ambien for me, as I'm going through a period of intense insomnia. I used it for two nights. As I fall asleep but wake up at three or four--unable to get back to sleep--I took it upon waking in the middle of the night. Ambien puts you out--you don't know you're falling asleep, and then you wake up. Three hours later! This is a short-action drug. Waking at 7 or so, I was intensely groggy. As I tried to get up and start my day, I felt odd and not in a good way. My nap later in the day was a drugged sleep. Last evening, I was irritable and felt feverish. I've put the Ambien away. It is far too chemical a drug for me, and my body is already dealing with heavy medications."

writergirl (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2019

For Insomnia: "I have been taking Zolpidem 10mg for 10 years and have never had ANY side effects from it, other than a good nights sleep. I have read where some on here are having issues but I take it every night and it has really helped."

JC (taken for 10 years or more) May 13, 2019

For Insomnia: "Been taking Zolpidem 10mg on & off for a while. Personally it is effective for insomnia but one thing I've learned is take it right before bed or you may get amnesia. One night I decided to read a chapter of a book after taking one but I don't remember turning the light off or putting the book down ready to sleep, next thing I remember is waking up - Luckily I don't think I did anything else that night but some people have driven miles in a car & not had any recollection until they woke up behind the wheel. So like I say take it right before turning the lights out."

Jake (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I tried Ambien for sleep when it first came out. Initially it seemed great. Then I fell down the stairs and broke many ribs. I was lucky. I discovered I was sleep walking but the drug was to new and people hadn’t started to report that yet. I was fortunate that I only broke ribs.! I realized quickly that Ambien wasn’t the medication for me BUT I NEVER BLAMED or held liable the medication. I took it knowing it was fairly new. It was my responsibility not the drug companies. We are responsible for what medication we take."

Dorie May 4, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "Ambien ... this is a very DANGEROUS DRUG! I used this drug for approximately 60 days. I HAD TO STOP IT! I found myself in dangerous locations not knowing where or why I was there. I found myself driving in neighboring cities! Sleeping on sides of roads. The worst part is I probably don't remember most of my own experiences. I believe Ambien should be outlawed! I believe Ambien is a disaster waiting to happen."

Seppe (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I have taken 2.5 mg. Ambien off and on for 20 years. It has saved me as I have insomnia and cannot sleep more than 3 or 4 hours a night. I take Ambien in the middle of the night and feel rested with no side effects in the morning. I am 81 years old and feel tired if I have only 3 hours sleep. I take Ambien several nights a week so I am not exhausted during the day."

Barb (taken for 10 years or more) April 30, 2019

Intermezzo (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "This drug is terrible and taste so bitter. The pharmacist gave that to me in lieu of my regular Ambien which I am very particular about which one I get (there is a white one or a beige one and the the white one makes me groggy) This drug which is what GoodRx coupon gives u instead of Ambien (zoloidem) depending which pharmacy you go to and it does not work at all for me cause I swallowed it instead of suck on it."

DR J (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "This medicine seems to help with my problem of fear of falling asleep at night. The trazadone was not working, this seems to help. Do not drink alcohol on this medicine and take it as prescribed."

Nope2937 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2019

Intermezzo (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I hate Intermezzo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Worthless drug!!!!"

Sahara (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2019

For Insomnia: "I’ve been on Ambien for almost 16 years since my first child was born and I became anxious at night trying to sleep thinking of all the horrible things that could possibly happen to her, totally irrational. This and Celexa have been a godsend for me. I’ve tried to get off both of them with no success. 20 mg of Celexa and 5 to 10 mg of Ambien depending on the night. I get about seven hours of hard to sleep which is what I need to function."

Mom (taken for 10 years or more) April 17, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "Ambien has been something I've been prescribed periodically for many years. The best attributes of Ambien seem to permanently go away after so many doses. It's easier to get off of than benzodiazapines. It use to give me Picasso like inspirations to doodle before I dozed off. Now it just slightly lifts my mood and I'm having to slowly wean myself off. It seems to very from generic to generic more than most drugs, but that could just be me."

thomas aquinas (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2019

For Insomnia: "I had to pester my doctor for Zolpidem to take long term. Of course I got the lecture of addiction but most people have no clue about how chronic insomnia destroys your life, believe me I have tried relaxation techniques, black out curtains etc but for some reason my brain cannot shut down properly to sleep so I need help. When I don't sleep it makes me depressed plus my anxiety goes up. I take 10mg every night & it has not failed in getting me to sleep. I don't care if they are addictive it's my qualify of life that's important with good sleep - people don't get deprived of their diabetes or cholesterol meds so why should people with bad insomnia be deprived of sleeping medication? Seems very cruel to me."

Chris (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2019

Ambien CR (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I've been on Ambien CR 12.5 mg and I still can't sleep."

Squirt April 8, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I've been taking 10 mg of Ambien every night for years. There are no withdrawals. I've gone on vacation for 10 days and forgotten them. The worst thing I felt was not being able to fall asleep. But duh. It does not make you high. It makes you tired."

Jb (taken for 10 years or more) April 8, 2019

For Insomnia: "I took zolpidem 10 mg for ten years. The night time munchies sabotaged my efforts to lose weight, so tried to stop. Had horrible nightmares the first day. Am now taking 5 mg. No nocturnal feeding binges."

Kate (taken for 10 years or more) April 5, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I absolutely HATE this garbage Ambien!!!! Words cannot express how much I hate it. It really messed with me !!! I am Bi polar and have major depressive disorder and was put on this by my doctor nurse because I wasn't falling asleep like I was supposed to!! I took half of a 10mg tablet for a week and a half and did just fine. Then one-day I woke up EXTREMELY groggy and feeling horribly drugged!!! I didn't think anything about it. So I continued to take it and it only got worse!!!! I was messed up for over two weeks because of this trash!!! My doctor said he does NOT like giving this out and doesn't know why his nurse did that!!! I was horribly depressed and excessively sleepy for two weeks!!! My doctor said it literally messes with the chemicals in your brain!!!! This should be taken off the market!!! Much rather not sleep then feel the way I did!!! DO NOT TAKE!!!"

Daisy (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2019

For Insomnia: "A good nights sleep helps you cope 10 times over than battling with the everyday aches, pains and problems. I have been taking 5mg zolpidem for 15 years now and it has definitely saved the NHS a load of money due to the fact that I can deal with everything far better when you get a good nights sleep. I awake refreshed every morning and can cope now with everything life throws at me. I don’t use any other medicine’s except paracetamol. Surely that’s a good thing!"

Life Saver (taken for 10 years or more) March 30, 2019

For Insomnia: "Zolpidem works great for putting me asleep quickly but it doesn't keep me asleep beyond 3 or 4 hours. So I started to add a small dose of Promethazine with the Zolpidem and this combo keeps me asleep all night."

John (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "I have taken Ambien since I lost my son 7 years ago. It is a blessing that I can continue to rest. I have sleepless night when I have not taken it."

Cheryl (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 22, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: "Concerta during the day, 10mg ambien and 1- 2's Ativan at night"

Kado March 18, 2019

For Insomnia: "Zolpidem is THE best sleep aid out there for me. I have tried literally EVERYTHING over the counter, doctor prescribed, off label and finally the typical insomnia meds and this is the best med for me! I do not understand why some docs want this only prescribed for short periods of time because I have never had a problem with this medication or wanted to “abuse“ it. I do take precautions against that and I would personally caution people to only take it when you are in your bedroom or bathroom getting ready to go to bed and not just hanging around the house because then you are setting yourself up to do things that you don’t know you’re doing the next day or saying things to people you don’t know you said, why set yourself up to do that? Bottom line, this med enables me to function the next day because I have multiple autoimmune disorders and if I do not get 8 hours of sleep I cannot function as well so sleep is vital for me and no other medication has ever done that for me."

sdkad (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 17, 2019

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)