User Reviews for Zolpidem

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar Zolpimist

Insomnia 7.1

Reviews for Zolpidem

MKE Resident June 10, 2020

For Insomnia: “I've been taking ambien for years. I have extreme insomnia that I've inherited from my mom's side. After reading some of these reviews, I realized I had similar experiences sometimes but found ways to alleviate them. MAIN TAKEAWAY - take the pill on an empty stomach and don't take it until you're fully in bed and ready to fall asleep. It's a hypnotic so you'll do goofy stuff until you get used it. It's a very hard feeling to describe. If you take it on a full or even mildly full stomach, you can count on it not working at all. That's been my experience for the past 12 years. I have very severe insomnia. I would rather not have to take any medication but after trying everything, Ambien is the only drug that will burn clean for me. Meaning I don't feel hungover the next day. Empty stomach, be in bed. I have a fast metabolism, so I do usually burn through it within 4 hours. I just moved to CR 12.5 3 months ago. It's working alright but not a life saver by any means.”

Jo · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

For Insomnia: “On the generic brand zolpidem and yep same as a few here, may as well have taken a tic tac all it did was mild to severe headaches”

Insomniac · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

For Insomnia: “Started me with a sample of Silenor 3mg & 6mg. I went straight for the 6mg because I was so desperate for sleep. It did nothing for me. It finally kicked in after 4-6hrs. A waste. So, I've been prescribed Zolpidem 10mg. It works 30-45mins later, and I sleep good. FOR ABOUT 3-4HRS THEN I WAKE UP FULLY REFRESHED. It doesn't keep me sleep. Then I randomly nap through out the day. Now, I'm waiting to try Ambien CR 12.5mg. Waiting for them to fill it. WISH ME LUCK!”

gwpeaks · Taken for less than 1 month May 21, 2020

Ambien CR (zolpidem) for Insomnia: “This drug should NEVER be prescribed regardless of whether it works for some people. I took this for 14 days simply to try and sleep better. All of my adult life I've had anxiety and occasional panic attacks but never a chronic issue. A doc prescribed me Ativan for the same issue and I took it for over a year but was able to wean off fine. Other than that I took no meds and was perfectly happy and healthy prior to taking Ambien. On day 14 of Ambien CR I developed EXTREME anxiety so I stopped taking it. 9 days later it has almost not improved at all. I'm praying this is just an extreme reaction and will go away over time. My opinion of this drug is that it does things that no one truly understands and way too many horror stories come with it. This drug should be BANNED.”

Mike · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 16, 2020

Edluar (zolpidem) for Insomnia: “I love this formulation of zolpidem because when I used to take the oral pill form it would force me to not eat hours before taking it or it wouldn't be effective, took much longer to kick in, and in general the pill still 10mg, isn't enough to manage my insomnia. I've tried Lunesta, Sonata, Rozerem, Remeron, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Saphris, Restoril, Doral, Halcion and Trazdone. When I asked my psychiatrist about Edluar 10mg SL tablets she was excited to prescribe them and get some feedback from me on how effective it is. Turns out, Edluar 10mg gets me such great sleep compared to Ambien generic it's like I am taking an entirely different medication. Edluar, 10/10 for decreasing time it took to fall asleep 10/10 for keeping me asleep, and 9/10 for how alert I felt when I woke up in the morning. I feel somewhat not there for a few minutes but that goes away quickly. This Edluar stuff is a tough competitor to my Halcion (also super effective)”

roco March 22, 2020

For Insomnia: “I have very severe migraines they are debilitating.I have pain meds and they don’t touch it. I take a zolpidem 10 mg and sleep 8 to 10 hrs and usually my head ache is gone for me it a miracle drug. It only helps me sleep off the pain it does not relieve the pain. It does have some side effects of waking and doing things with no memory of it for me nothing like driving or going out of my home.”

RIC · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 13, 2020

Ambien CR (zolpidem) for Insomnia: “I developed insomnia in my early thirties due to...well, sudden traumatic and stressful events and having to deal with the aftermath caused seemingly never ending sleepless nights. I’ve always been one to sleep too much so I didn’t really know how to deal with insomnia. When my doctor prescribed Ambien CR I was really wary because of all the horror stories I’ve heard. But it’s been wonderful and I’ve taken it for 4 years. Now, just to clarify, this review is for Ambien CR NOT straight Ambien. Regular Ambien gave me terrible hangovers the next day and a few times I did things I didn’t remember the next day. The CR never gave me any troubles, 6 hours and it was out of my system.”

Ashley · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 12, 2020

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: “This medication only helped me fall asleep, not stay asleep. My dosage was 5mg and increased to 10mg within the same week. Even at 10mg I never slept more than 6 hours.”

Georgina · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2020

For Insomnia: “I started using zolpidem a few years ago, due to severe insomnia - wasn't able to sleep for 4 days. Since then, I've been trying to treat some depression, but insomnia remains as a terrible symptom. I rely more and more on zolpidem, but it only works when it wants it know. I'm so frustrated. Why is it so impossible to experience a full night of sleep, even on meds!!”

Richard March 1, 2020

For Insomnia: “I have been taking Zolpidem for 4 years. All it does is help me sleep; I have severe sleep apnea, general sleeping issues and a wonderful wife who snores like a chain saw. I do not sleepwalk, sleep drive or sleep cook. What I do is sleep 6 to 8 hours per night. I manage my dosing; if I know I am getting to bed late and have to arise early, I'll take half a pill. I am never groggy in the morning. Zolpidem has changed my life for the better; I am no longer grumpy or sleepy all the time. I wake refreshed and ready for a busy day. Zolpidem is not a narcotic but Humana and Walgreens regulate it tighter than opioids and, frankly, I resent it. Both are complete nannies over this effective yet safe medication. I do not abuse Zolpidem and love how it has improved my life. There might be others who have side effects from Zolpidem but not I. But I strictly take no more the 5 to 10 mg per night,.”

Guy February 29, 2020

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: “So I have tried everything for sleep. The only thing that worked ever was benzos and those got me very addicted so I stopped taking them and also stopped sleeping. Well I tried multiple other things and finally got on ambien at a dose of 5mg. I took it nothing happened like nothing at all. So I took another doseand I felt dizzy and tried to just be calm and fall asleep. Literally nothing but a stomach ache. Stayed up all night. I had heard stories about how strong this medicine is. When it literally was like taking sugar pills for me. So sad and so tired”

Sleeplessinsurrey February 28, 2020

For Insomnia: “To Daughter of User: Zolpidem only has a just over 120 min half life. This means that barring a very allergy or genetic disorder, her condition could not possibly have been zolpidem related. Honestly it sounds like a stroke. I would have her checked ASAP. To clarify: half is metabolized in 2 hours. That means that by 5 or 6 am at the latest, it would have left her system completely. This is the main reason this drug is so great for sleep onset and not indicated for sleep maintanance. You should close and lock your bedroom door to be safe if you get out of bed, read yourself drowsy, No Screens, take your dose and turn off the light. For most ppl, it has v little effect after about 40 mins. The sweet spot is around 15-20 min IME.”

Baz · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 26, 2020

For Insomnia: “Not sure why doctors are so reluctant to prescribe this medication. Yet I'm offered antidepressants that cause dependency. Why? I'm not depressed. I'm just fed up with not sleeping. There's a big difference compared to clinical depression. Just give me Zolpidem for 10 nights a month that is all. It works great with no side effects. Maybe that's why doctors are advised not to prescribe? Because they can't add a few more meds on to it. Less money for big pharma.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: “Did not even make me sleepy or drowsy, did not sleep at all, took 10mg both times. Never again”

night owl February 25, 2020

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: “I was prescribed ambien by a well-meaning doctor around 2014. She had no trouble refilling my rx. I took one at night and was simply knocked out to sleep. It was lovely! Then, I had a calm period and tried to get off it. Nope. I was dependent. Keep in mind, I was taking as prescribed, no more, and right at bedtime. Fast forward 2016. Now I took it once then drove to Walgreens! Not proud of that at all. I took it a little before bedtime while I was still awake reading in bed and everything was muted. By 2017 I could not sleep without it but was not sleeping much with it. I began taking 1 1/2 pills. For to 6 hours sleep. I would wake up in a panic! I tapered for 2 months then took my last piece on Feb. 15 in 2019. I had a month of horrible insomnia... Just one or two hours. I thought it would never end! But it did. And I will never take another ambien as long as I live.”

Lon · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

For Insomnia: “Actually made me lose my step, lose balance and become disoriented.”

Trixie February 21, 2020

Ambien (zolpidem): “This drug should come with more specific warnings. When given it can create displacement and utter confusion. This happen to both my father and now my husband. It takes a long time to leave your system unlike Xanax and does anything but create sleep. Both my father and husband ended up paranoid, confused and beyond comfort. I am very unhappy about this drug”

Sleepytime · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2020

Ambien CR (zolpidem) for Insomnia: “Ambien CR felt like a sedative, not a sleeping pill. I tried Ambien CR last and and had a terrible night’s sleep. It was worse than taking nothing at all. It felt more like taking Xanax for me. I would have been better off with Benadryl.”

Daughter of user February 19, 2020

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: “Ambien became a nightmare for my mother and family recently. Because no one fully explained how and when to take Ambien, my mother took it late, around 1am after initially falling asleep around 11pm and waking up sleepless. She’d then attempt to wake up around 8am and function normally. Well, no. We thought she was having a stroke and called 911. Falling over, slurred speech, texts that look like this, “Ecotidhfhudishfjffmn”....all very abnormal behavior for my mom who is very vibrant and healthy! After several days of this mystery morning “illness”, she finally alluded to taking her Ambien dosage at 1am. Well, duh. Mystery illness solved. My intention is to warn others who take Ambien - I insisted she stop taking it and sleeps even better now! - to take it as soon as you go to bed and DON’T expect to function normally until you’ve had 8 hours of sleep after dosing.”

jay74 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 12, 2020

For Insomnia: “Well Mylan zolpidem 5 mg worked for me for years. Slept well. Now every pharmacy is in a race to the bottom, cost wise, and you end up getting a useless generic that I am sure is cheaper for them to obtain. Not a single pharmacy stocks mylan in my county anymore and I am told it is no longer on their "available" list. The others are ALL garbage. They have bounced me to Sandoz/Torrent/Sun, all garbage. Every month is Russian roulette at the pharmacy now. They get annoyed off if you ask for anything better. What a scam.”

JennieCee · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 12, 2020

For Insomnia: “After having violent cough caused by ramipril for 18 months, which cause total sleeplessness, I now have to take zolpidem, every other night. I take 7-1/2 mg but am finding I am waking after 2-3 hours, unable to get back to sleep. Have been to sleep clinics where I stayed awake also. Would it be counter-productive to increases my dosage, or have I come to the end of the line re: sleeping pills?”

Insomnia guy · Taken for 10 years or more February 12, 2020

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: “In my opinion, be honest with yourself about all of the things that influence things in your life, and most importantly sleep. If you drink too much, have depression, have pain, are completely stressed, etc., please take these in to consideration. I'm a true insomniac, so I am reliant on medication to get at least 4 hours of sleep a night. If I don't have medication for this, I can be up for 4 days. I've been taking Ambien for about 10 years on and off. I find it effective in the first two months or so of taking it, but after that, it's a breath mint. I've also taken Lunestra with the exact same result. I have also taken two and three month breaks from usage to get back to the full effect. I am asking my Doctor to volley my insomnia medication between Lunestra and Ambien every other month. That way, they have the best chance to do what I need from them. Wish you all wellness...”

Maggie · Taken for 10 years or more February 8, 2020

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: “I've been taking Ambien now for 20 years. With very few side effects! I don't know why this drug is supposed to shorten your life, but without it. I wouldn't have any kind of quality of life.”

C11 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 6, 2020

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: “I've taken Ambien for about 5-6 years for insomnia and sleep apnea. I was told that I shouldn't take it unless absolutely necessary, and I would pass that advice along as well. Please try other medications first, as you typically will become heavily dependent on this medication to sleep. It may not be the case for everyone, but it can be extremely inconvenient. It also is very difficult to sleep without Ambien. I've been in situations where I didn't have access to medication, and didn't sleep. It was very hard and stressful. If nothing else works, Ambien is very good for sleep. It sneaks up on you and puts you asleep very quickly. I have pleasant dreams and restful sleep. Please do your research though, and learn from my mistakes. Try everything else you can first and use this as a last resort.”

Jarbles · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2020

For Insomnia: “2 nights amazing refreshed sleep and then it kept me up all night with a headache. Even a year later I can take one and it does nothing but give me head ache.”