User Reviews for Zolpidem systemic

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Zolpidem Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 97 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zolpidem to treat Insomnia

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have taken ambien for 10 years. I would guess some would call that an addiction but, I disagree. Everyone is discussing what else to take in its place, so if you’re going to take something, why not something that works. I have maintained the same dosage for the past 7 years. I suffer from anxiety and ADHD. It is the only thing that stops the ever racing thoughts when I try to fall asleep. I have also been told by multiple doctors that they do not usually have concerns about its interaction with other medication, when taken in safe doses. Not a lot of other suggested solutions can boost that. There are the occasional nights where just about nothing can stop the racing anxiety brain but, the overall assistance with my sleeping makes my general day to day anxiety significantly better. There is not a lot worse effects on my anxiety than exhaustion. I think the warnings regarding recommended time of taking this should be reconsidered."

Believer (taken for 10 years or more) December 14, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Careful with this drug. I would not recommend to use for more than a couple of weeks. I took it for just over a month and ran into problems after the third week. There's a good reason most doctors are unwilling for it to be given out long term because it is pretty bad to withdraw from and you can start to crave the high that it gives if you stay up, just one night of doing that was enough as I got addicted. I found myself not remembering that I took more than one..... Some nights I took 3 and even 4 one night. The next day I was severely drowsy, was also experiencing withdrawal sweats, muscle twitches and severe anxiety. Personally I find Doxylamine to be actually more effective than Ambien and it's not addictive."

Peter606 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2018

"I’ve been using zolpidem 10 mg for nearly 15 years for insomnia related to hypothyroidism, depression, and anxiety. I find it impossible to fall asleep as I cannot shut down whirling thoughts. I fall asleep quickly with the medication and sleep like the dead for around 3 hours. I wake frequently after that, but also fall back asleep easily until time to rise. I’ve had no side effects except for complete dependence upon the medication. I’ve weaned myself off the zolpidem and tried others several times, trying Xanax to take the edge off anxiety to sleep and meditation and white noise. Nothing worked the way the zolpidem does. I’m staying with it for as long as it works."

Nana (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2018

"I have been on this drug every night over ten years, at 5mg -10 mg immediate release, and it is a lifesaver ( I use the higher dose when I have to take higher doses of meds that cause insomnia). It works well putting me to sleep for several hours without a morning hangover. It does make me hungry, and during a brief time I took higher doses, caused sleep-eating and nocturnal cooking, plus conversations I did not remember. Even a little alcohol enhances its effect, so avoid alcohol."

Toomanypills (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2018

"I worked well"

LAMASLOKA! (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "10 mg worked great for about 3 weeks of nightly use but after a while I could not get back to sleep after waking in the middle of the night. This was probably stress for me and worrying about not falling back asleep. It should be noted though that this drug is classed as a short acting sleeping pill with a "duration of action" of 3 hours, so if you wake up early it's not that surprising. The CR version works for about 5-6 hours. The regular version does however do a good job at getting you to sleep. If your problem is both falling and staying asleep the CR version would be better."

Fred123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Have taken every night since early 2014. No side effects that I can tell, wake refreshed and alert. Saved my life! My insomnia was relentless and scary. No longer. Thankful."

Alyson (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2018

"Had complication after gastric bypass. Severe gastric bleed. Almost died. I was opened and ulcer re-sectioned I think they called it. 3 weeks in the hospital. Months of work missed, with no energy. One issue during the recovery, I could no longer sleep. I tried everything. No sleep exacerbates every other problem. Long story a little shorter. 10mg + broken pieces after waking, now for 10 years. I cannot overstate how great this drug works. Doesn't lose effectiveness in 10 years."

Wayne (taken for 10 years or more) November 7, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I suffer from high-anxiety and insomnia. I have tried many sleep-aids, both OTC and by prescription. Nothing has helped. Ambien is the only sleep-aid that helps calm me down so that I may sleep soundly. It works very fast. I have been prescribed the 5mg and 10mg. The 10mg I usually break in half. The prescription is only for 14 days. Belsomra and Trazodone did nothing to help me. Ambien has been a life saver."

D (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 1, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Been taking these for a few weeks and so far they are effective for making me fall asleep. I have never had any weird side effects like sleep walking, shopping, driving etc. I think if you take the recommended dose and steer clear of alcohol when taking them you should be fine. It seems when people don't heed that advice is when they run into problems. And like other people say you should starve for at least 4 hours before taking this medication as food (especially fatty foods) competes with Ambien."

Liam85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2018

"I've been taking zolpidem a long time, recently tried the sublingual 3.5mg, does not seem to do anything better than taking a 10mg, even using 2 of the 3.5mg, anybody have any advice. The instructions say to dissolve then you can swallow, should you hold under the tongue as long as you can?"

GPB959 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 13, 2018

"I am currently taking 10mg of Zolpidem a night, unfortunately Ambien is not available here in the UK so we have to take the generic version called Zolpidem. But it does work and puts me to sleep for an average of 4 hours but if I want I can normally get right back to sleep for another few hours so not a problem. One important thing is to take the pill on a completely empty stomach or it simply won't work, people who say it does not work or have a tolerance just check if you have started to eat in the evening stopping the pill from working. Overall it's an effective way to sleep if you have bad insomnia and I feel refreshed. The world seems a better brighter place when you finally get rest. Good luck if you try this medication."

Metro11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2018

"I am a doctor, age 76, taking zolpidem 5mg daily since 3 years. I don’t have any side effects as described by many in review. Except that I have become dependent on it. I have tried to sleep without but after tossing in bed for hours, I have to take it. My mind always argues in its favour. I don’t have any issues like night eating or driving or even memory loss. I feel relaxed whole day because I know that I will have good night sleep with my wonder pill."

Vini (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2018

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "Over a period of time my doc prescribed me a whole list of medications to see what one worked the most. Right now I'm on ambien CR and just like most others I had tried, it worked the first few nights. Now when I take it I'm wide awake for 5 to 6 hours and then I'll end up sleeping all day the next day."

Adidas (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "After being a good sleeper out of the blue I began to suffer bad insomnia, taking hours to fall asleep or repeated awakenings which was not like me! Possibly because of neighbor issues for years causing stress which finally started to impact my sleep, I tried over the counter meds with no success, then my doctor gave me Ambien and it works so well for me at 10mg, it does not always keep me asleep all night but at least it knocks me out and destroys any anxiety due to insomnia. It seems those of us with insomnia find it hard to calm the brain down and repeated sleepless nights makes us more anxious making sleep increasingly hard to come by. Medications like Ambien are effective as they increase GABA in the brain leading to relaxation and then makes it easier to sleep. I would say this drug is safe, surely better than drinking alcohol to sleep which has bad health impacts. Regular good sleep improves my mood, appetite, lowers anxiety and depression, Ambien does this, it's a good thing!"

Chris1985 October 5, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have taken ambians and I'm still wide awake it's doing nothing for my insomnia"

Jamall (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Hip and back pain keeping me awake all night even with pain medicine. Doc gave me Ambien several weeks ago, and it is the only drug really helping me right now. Opioids do not help me or make me sleepy. Spent many nights taking hydrocodone with no sleep."

Leki September 30, 2018

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "My doctor prescribed Zolpidem Tartate 10mg and I gave it a real honest shot for a little over a week. It did a good job a initially getting me to sleep, but after about an hour I would wake up and be in a state of half sleep/half wake the rest of the night (totally exhausted the next day). I remember one day I was in a meeting with my manager talking about filing emails (super simple discussion) and suddenly numbers and formulas were flying around my head like you see in those TV shows (Numbers, or the Librarians) where a person is solving complex formulas in their head. Except we were just talking about filing emails and I couldn't get rid of all these numbers & equations that were swimming in my vision! It was super distracting, and I feel like it was definitely a hallucination, but not neccessary a crazy one, just a bit out of place. I stopped taking it after that week. I occasionally switch between it and OTC if I need something, but I really don't find it helpful for restful sleep."

OTCMedsWorkBetter4Me (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I’ve had insomnia for about 2 weeks before I got Ambien. I was not sleeping at all or for only a few hours before Ambien CR was prescribed. It did not work at all for me at first. No effect whatsoever. Dr switched me to quick release and I made sure to take it on an empty stomach. It puts me to sleep but usually for 2 to 4 hrs. I haven’t had any weird side effects at all. It’s an OK medicine but it’s hasn’t given me what I was searching for: a full nights sleep."

Penny (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Always puts me to sleep but I almost always wake up after about 1 -1.75 hrs. I wake up starving. Going back to bed no help from the medication. "

Dave (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Whilst Ambien does put me to sleep I have found it isn't consistent and it varies night to night on how long it keeps me asleep. 10mg can give me almost 7 hours which is fantastic but some nights I only sleep for 3 and a half on the same dose, which can be a bit disappointing when you roll over to check the time. Also there are some notable side effects such as amnesia before bedtime, next day depression and anxiety. And when you come off this drug your own sleep seems worse than before you went on Ambien and accompanied by nightmares. Of course we are all different but those are my experiences on this drug."

PeterJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "After having gastric bypass in 08, I ended up in hospital for a month. It took one of the night nurses to notice I never slept. He talked to other nurses and they noticed too but never said anything. They called dr that night n gave me an Ambien. I was in heaven. I've always had problems with insomnia. It kept getting worse, so I took 2 a night. I'm lucky if that works every 2 or 3 days n that only works for 4-5 hours. We tried the extended release, and if u can believe this, is worse. Maybe 2 1/2 hours. I've tried every sleep medicine, done so many sleep studies and no one has any ideas on how to help me at all. 7 days was the longest without sleep n ended up in hospital for the same amount of days. No sleep is the most horrible mind screwing thing ever. It's horrible, horrible, horrible and don't wish it on anyone!!!!"

Klbluvroll (taken for 10 years or more) September 11, 2018

"I just started 5 mg zolpidem for chronic insomnia. I have tried everything there is and this is the best so far. It doesn't last all night though. I feel no impairment the next day. My wife on the other hand passed out sitting up and with her eyes open! Unresponsive. Scary. I called help. So go carefully - individuals get very different results."

Bou (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2018

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "I have sleep maintenance problems - I fall asleep right away but many times wake up after 4 hours and find it very difficult and frustrating to fall asleep again . Ambien CR is really helpful - it extends my sleep time from 4 to 7 hours. I am 64 years old and have been taking the 6.25 mg pill on and off for the last 2 years with no need to change for the higher dosage. I report from Israel. I am insured by Maccabi health services and since I have a premium coverage it costs 50% of the official MOH recommended maximum price list."

Comet (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 31, 2018

"I had been sleepless forever when a P.A. talked me into trying Ambien. I loved it! For the 1st time I was able to fall asleep and stay asleep. Then my insurance changed to Kaiser and my new Dr. said, “Ambien! We’re going to have to change that. You’ll sleep when you get tired enough.” So I went back to life without restful sleep. Having known what life was like with a good night’s sleep, I changed my Dr. and he put me on Trazadone which worked fine for a couple years. Then I started getting anxiety when I didn’t take it. My doc said to wean off of it slowly and we would try something else. It took about 6 weeks, then we tried Mirtazapine. The Mirtazapine didn’t help at all and by week two I was feeling very out of sorts. Something was not right with the Mirtazapine. Then I learned that Mirtazapine was another anti depressant! I had insomnia not depression! I am now back on Zolpidem and sleeping without side effects."

Juan2sleep August 30, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Insomnia