User Reviews for Zolpidem to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Zolpidem Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 97 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zolpidem

Ambien (zolpidem): "Concerta during the day, 10mg ambien and 1- 2's Ativan at night"

Kado March 18, 2019

"Zolpidem is THE best sleep aid out there for me. I have tried literally EVERYTHING over the counter, doctor prescribed, off label and finally the typical insomnia meds and this is the best med for me! I do not understand why some docs want this only prescribed for short periods of time because I have never had a problem with this medication or wanted to “abuse“ it. I do take precautions against that and I would personally caution people to only take it when you are in your bedroom or bathroom getting ready to go to bed and not just hanging around the house because then you are setting yourself up to do things that you don’t know you’re doing the next day or saying things to people you don’t know you said, why set yourself up to do that? Bottom line, this med enables me to function the next day because I have multiple autoimmune disorders and if I do not get 8 hours of sleep I cannot function as well so sleep is vital for me and no other medication has ever done that for me."

sdkad (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 17, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "Took 10 mg. It didn’t help me sort out my sleep cycle. Unfortunately my sleep cycle shifted to 4a-11a. I wanted to sleep around 10p. I tried Ambien for several nights but I was not able to sleep at an earlier time. I am disappointed."

Penny (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2019

"I am a lifelong insomniac. I have been taking Zolpidem (Ambien)10mg every night for many years however now the FDA will not allow doctors to prescribe any more than 5mg for women. I have never had the sleep walking / eating / driving etc symptoms but found the key is to take it only right before you plan on going to sleep. The only side effect I have is bad dreams. Had a doctor visit yesterday and he prescribed Trazodone for those nights I feel that I need something "extra" and the Zolpidem 5mg isn't enough. Has anyone had success with this combo?"

Lov4dogs (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 16, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have to say, for me Ambien was the holy Grail of sleep medicines out there ; and I've tried quite a few from OTC to prescription medication . Since about 6 months ago I had a horrible horrible case of insomnia. Wide awake a night but crash for a few hours in the day and be right back. Same dreadful cycle all day everyday. Meanwhile in that time I had gotten Zzz Quil, Unisom 10mgs of melatonin pill, tablet and liquid form. Equate sleeping pills. ...that's just the tip. I can't remember all the names but it goes down the line with otc medicine. Then when I saw my doctor he first tried vistriel. NOPE, like taking candy. Then trazadone, still nothing. He tried me on Valium, axanax, Valium and Klonopin and I DID NOT LIKE those from the very beginning. But he still wanted to try. See I don't like taking controlled substance but wanted to see if it would help. Next belsomara nope nothing!!! Ambien is the best sleep aid so far."

Sugar bear March 10, 2019

Zolpimist (zolpidem): "Amazing. Works so much better and faster than zolpidem pills."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2019

"I have taken Zolpidem (10 mg) for approximately 15 years (since menopause). It works for me every night. I have had occasional withdrawal problems when I have traveled without it (bad mistake). How did older people get along without it?"

Brooklyn (taken for 10 years or more) January 20, 2019

"I have been taking Ambien 10mg for many years. It started when I had severe anxiety trying to sleep after working 12-13 hr night shifts at the hospital and having to work 3 in a row. Over the years I have discovered to not take the whole 10mg when I first go to bed. Because no matter what mg you take, it still only lasts for 3-4 hrs. I break the 10mg in half, take it, sleep good for 4hrs. Wake up, pee and then take the other half. That works for me. I am retired now, but still take it because of the ease of falling asleep. It has been safe for me. Take it on an empty stomach. Have healthy snacks around because it does sometimes make you hungry right after you take it. In a perfect world, we should all be able to fall asleep and rest for 8 hrs. But, we are not all built the same, and taking a pill for good rest is just worth it to me. Hope this helps! And get you some sleep!!!"

C.J. (taken for 10 years or more) January 13, 2019

"Works fine if I go to bed 30 min. after taking them. If I stay up much past that, my short-term memory turns off and I will have no memory at all of anything that happened after then. My only complaint is that with generics, every formulation works a bit differently. In the years I've been using it, I've had prescriptions refilled with pills from 4 different manufacturers that are SUPPOSEDLY identical to the brand name drug. But - though they're all supposed to be 12.5 mg Zolpidem, they all act differently for me. One brand knocks me out in 20 minutes, but another barely works even if I take higher-then-prescribed dosages. (NOT RECOMMENDED!) A 3rd one affects my sense of balance and makes me see double. Yet another knocks me out OK, but then I wake up 4 hours too early. Some give me hangovers, some don't. Assuming they all contain the same amount of the same medicine, the only thing I can account for the this are different inert ingredients or a different manufacturing method."

HappyRasta January 13, 2019

"I have been taking Ambien for about 8 years +. The withdrawals are very bad they include sweating, irritability, not able to focus, headaches. It works great but sometimes you will feel these effects. Honestly I have tried everything else doxylamine (over the counter) works good as well. To each there own."

Sunshine (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 12, 2019

"I've been taking Ambien 5 years, started at 5mg, progressed to 10mg after a year. I break each dose into 4 quarters. Take 1/4 - 1/2 to fall asleep around 11pm. Then 1/4 when I wake up at 2am and try to go the rest of the night. The tough part is when I wake up at 5am and have to consider taking another one or getting up. It's a great drug, however there's one terrible side effect, addiction! I can't go anywhere without this drug. If I lose it or my prescription doesn't get renewed before the weekend I could end up being awake for two or three nights. This can ruin a vacation. I've had to go to the ER to get one or two doses because I left my prescription at home. You will not be able to sleep without this drug once you start taking it! I highly suggest trying other over the counter meds first. Also, if you start, stick to the 5mg. That will make it easier to get off before you go to 10mg."

Jeff (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have taken ambien for 10 years. I would guess some would call that an addiction but, I disagree. Everyone is discussing what else to take in its place, so if you’re going to take something, why not something that works. I have maintained the same dosage for the past 7 years. I suffer from anxiety and ADHD. It is the only thing that stops the ever racing thoughts when I try to fall asleep. I have also been told by multiple doctors that they do not usually have concerns about its interaction with other medication, when taken in safe doses. Not a lot of other suggested solutions can boost that. There are the occasional nights where just about nothing can stop the racing anxiety brain but, the overall assistance with my sleeping makes my general day to day anxiety significantly better. There is not a lot worse effects on my anxiety than exhaustion. I think the warnings regarding recommended time of taking this should be reconsidered."

Believer (taken for 10 years or more) December 14, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Careful with this drug. I would not recommend to use for more than a couple of weeks. I took it for just over a month and ran into problems after the third week. There's a good reason most doctors are unwilling for it to be given out long term because it is pretty bad to withdraw from and you can start to crave the high that it gives if you stay up, just one night of doing that was enough as I got addicted. I found myself not remembering that I took more than one..... Some nights I took 3 and even 4 one night. The next day I was severely drowsy, was also experiencing withdrawal sweats, muscle twitches and severe anxiety. Personally I find Doxylamine to be actually more effective than Ambien and it's not addictive."

Peter606 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2018

"I’ve been using zolpidem 10 mg for nearly 15 years for insomnia related to hypothyroidism, depression, and anxiety. I find it impossible to fall asleep as I cannot shut down whirling thoughts. I fall asleep quickly with the medication and sleep like the dead for around 3 hours. I wake frequently after that, but also fall back asleep easily until time to rise. I’ve had no side effects except for complete dependence upon the medication. I’ve weaned myself off the zolpidem and tried others several times, trying Xanax to take the edge off anxiety to sleep and meditation and white noise. Nothing worked the way the zolpidem does. I’m staying with it for as long as it works."

Nana (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2018

"I have been on this drug every night over ten years, at 5mg -10 mg immediate release, and it is a lifesaver ( I use the higher dose when I have to take higher doses of meds that cause insomnia). It works well putting me to sleep for several hours without a morning hangover. It does make me hungry, and during a brief time I took higher doses, caused sleep-eating and nocturnal cooking, plus conversations I did not remember. Even a little alcohol enhances its effect, so avoid alcohol."

Toomanypills (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2018

"I worked well"

LAMASLOKA! (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "10 mg worked great for about 3 weeks of nightly use but after a while I could not get back to sleep after waking in the middle of the night. This was probably stress for me and worrying about not falling back asleep. It should be noted though that this drug is classed as a short acting sleeping pill with a "duration of action" of 3 hours, so if you wake up early it's not that surprising. The CR version works for about 5-6 hours. The regular version does however do a good job at getting you to sleep. If your problem is both falling and staying asleep the CR version would be better."

Fred123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Have taken every night since early 2014. No side effects that I can tell, wake refreshed and alert. Saved my life! My insomnia was relentless and scary. No longer. Thankful."

Alyson (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2018

"Had complication after gastric bypass. Severe gastric bleed. Almost died. I was opened and ulcer re-sectioned I think they called it. 3 weeks in the hospital. Months of work missed, with no energy. One issue during the recovery, I could no longer sleep. I tried everything. No sleep exacerbates every other problem. Long story a little shorter. 10mg + broken pieces after waking, now for 10 years. I cannot overstate how great this drug works. Doesn't lose effectiveness in 10 years."

Wayne (taken for 10 years or more) November 7, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I suffer from high-anxiety and insomnia. I have tried many sleep-aids, both OTC and by prescription. Nothing has helped. Ambien is the only sleep-aid that helps calm me down so that I may sleep soundly. It works very fast. I have been prescribed the 5mg and 10mg. The 10mg I usually break in half. The prescription is only for 14 days. Belsomra and Trazodone did nothing to help me. Ambien has been a life saver."

D (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 1, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Been taking these for a few weeks and so far they are effective for making me fall asleep. I have never had any weird side effects like sleep walking, shopping, driving etc. I think if you take the recommended dose and steer clear of alcohol when taking them you should be fine. It seems when people don't heed that advice is when they run into problems. And like other people say you should starve for at least 4 hours before taking this medication as food (especially fatty foods) competes with Ambien."

Liam85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2018

"I've been taking zolpidem a long time, recently tried the sublingual 3.5mg, does not seem to do anything better than taking a 10mg, even using 2 of the 3.5mg, anybody have any advice. The instructions say to dissolve then you can swallow, should you hold under the tongue as long as you can?"

GPB959 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 13, 2018

"I am currently taking 10mg of Zolpidem a night, unfortunately Ambien is not available here in the UK so we have to take the generic version called Zolpidem. But it does work and puts me to sleep for an average of 4 hours but if I want I can normally get right back to sleep for another few hours so not a problem. One important thing is to take the pill on a completely empty stomach or it simply won't work, people who say it does not work or have a tolerance just check if you have started to eat in the evening stopping the pill from working. Overall it's an effective way to sleep if you have bad insomnia and I feel refreshed. The world seems a better brighter place when you finally get rest. Good luck if you try this medication."

Metro11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2018

"I am a doctor, age 76, taking zolpidem 5mg daily since 3 years. I don’t have any side effects as described by many in review. Except that I have become dependent on it. I have tried to sleep without but after tossing in bed for hours, I have to take it. My mind always argues in its favour. I don’t have any issues like night eating or driving or even memory loss. I feel relaxed whole day because I know that I will have good night sleep with my wonder pill."

Vini (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2018

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "Over a period of time my doc prescribed me a whole list of medications to see what one worked the most. Right now I'm on ambien CR and just like most others I had tried, it worked the first few nights. Now when I take it I'm wide awake for 5 to 6 hours and then I'll end up sleeping all day the next day."

Adidas (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018