User Reviews for Zolpidem

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Zolpidem Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 105 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zolpidem to treat Insomnia

Ambien (zolpidem): "Ambien saved my life. I’ve suffered from severe panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and Phobias since I was 5 and 6. I was also diagnosed with ADHD when I was 11. The anxiety has come and gone and I have been on 25 MGs. Of Zoloft for years. Well, I’m 21 now and thought that I could get off my anxiety meds about a year ago and boy was I wrong. It was fine for about a year but in December something snapped and I was in a full fledged panic mode. I couldn’t eat or sleep or even function. I felt like I was dying. Anyways, my dad used to take ambien for travel and he happened to have some left. I was in a fit and was bawling cause of sleep deprivation and he’s like here, take half of one of these. I took my first 5mgs of ambien and I could sleep! I cried when I woke up cause I started to feel better. I then got my own prescription and eventually I didn’t need them and I went back to normal. I have some in case of emergencies, but I don’t need to take it every night."

danicalifornia July 15, 2018

"My experience of Zolpidem is like many on here, I take 10mg every 3 nights for example if I take it on Monday night I will have a break until Thursday and so on, that way my body does not get addicted to it. For me it starts to work in as little as 10 mins when relaxation kicks in then the full affects begin around 20 mins, but if you are not in bed you can begin to have balance issues when walking, similar to being drunk and there's been times when I have had amnesia if I have not got in bed straight after taking this drug. Been times when I have taken one and then been reading in the lounge before bed and the next thing I remember is waking up 6 hours later in bed, not remembering how I got here or turning the lights off (thankfully I did turn them off I just don't remember!) - it is a powerful drug so always remember to take it as you get into bed or you will be at the risk of having amnesia. Overall it works quickly and is the most effective sleeping medication I have taken."

Gaz1985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2018

"Been using for several years. 12.5mg XR. Some memory issues but it's effective. The 5mg and 10mg don't keep me asleep all night."

RM (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 9, 2018

"I started taking ambien 10 years ago. I even call her amber because she is my best friend. I had trouble sleeping at night since I was a child. So when I got pregnant it got worst. After birth the doctor prescribed me ambien and It has change my life. Because despite the works difficulties I know as long as I had it I was promise to a good night rest. Now it does have long term side effects, like digestive problem and anxiety. But it goes and comes. I would recommend this drug to anybody but be careful it acts different on everybody"

Mrs. Floyd (taken for 10 years or more) July 5, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Prescribed for over 10 years. Had to cut dosage in 1/2 due to recall difficulties. Binge eating an understatement. Works well for chronic insomnia even with moderate caffeine intake. Need to take rest position almost immediately after nightly dosage or medicine benefits pass unnoticed."

Hammer2x (taken for 10 years or more) June 28, 2018

"Torrent brand is the only generic that works for me. Teva brand does not work at all. I have been taking this for 15 years with no side effects at all. All you have to do is ask your pharmacist for this brand."

Trish (taken for 10 years or more) June 25, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Ambien is a miracle drug, in my opinion. It can become addictive and you can build up a tolerance for it, but that doesn't have to be the case. It happened to me several years ago when I was taking 10mg each and every night over a period of several months. During the past two or three years, I've been taking a maximum of 5mg a couple of times a week. More often than not, I break a 5mg tablet in half, and that does the trick. I have not become addicted to it again. I simply take the pill about 15 minutes before going to bed, and then I drift off peacefully and sleep soundly until morning. When I wake up, I don't feel drugged or still drowsy. I feel refreshed. When used sensibly, Ambien can be a godsend."

Katzpur (taken for 10 years or more) June 25, 2018

"I haven't been able to sleep for weeks. I take zolpidem every night . I lay in bed and have thoughts and no REM sleep. I've tried a muscle relaxer Flexeril with it and still nothing. Tonight I took an Ativan. It did nothing. I can't function and do a lot of physical work outside all day sweat and still can't sleep. I have to make a 16 hour drive and I'm afraid I will crash. I have a lot of stress in my life. I stopped smoking pot about a month ago. I also stopped taking my anti depressants. I feel like a zombie. I started drinking beer to see if mixing the beer and zolpidem worked. It didn't. I'm losing my mind and stressed out. I watch every hour go by. I've been getting bit by buffalo gnats working outside everyday. Why won't my body just shut down. I don't normally drink soda but bc I've been drinking a mountain dew for caffeine since I don't drink coffee. I also drink Gatorade everyday at least 2 bottles. But I sweat a lot in the heat working. . What the hell am I supposed to do ?"

John J (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Everyone please be aware that Ambien has very dangerous side effects. I was placed on it for insomnia. I took a dose one night before bed one night. My husband, I landed up becoming very agitated, running up and down the stairs and around the house, you could do anything and not remembering one bit of this the next day. I became very scared after hearing this and immediately stopped it and told my doctor of this adverse reaction. Be aware of this dangerous drug reaction!"

Kim June 7, 2018

"I have been on Ambien for several months. It helps me fall asleep."

Insomniac (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Yes I was given Ambien and I awoke and had heavy chest pain. Just a side effect my Dr said and keep taking it. Odd tho was I took one and I awoke after ony a few hours of sleep. So I'd like to know how many hours of sleep do u get off Ambien? Odd too that with the lack of sleep also I found myself saying thing and things that I normally don't say or do - not the real me."

NOT A DRUGGIE (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

"I don’t know why this drug is on the market. At first I was brushing off reports of sleepwalking and other issues because it hadn’t happened to me. About 6 months into taking zolpidem, I experienced sexual parasomnia and memory loss. Thought it was a one off, it was helping me sleep so I didn’t entirely mind. It just got worse and worse. At one point I’d ripped up a bunch of homework (I’m in college) and destroyed other things. Then the hallucinations started. I was seeing bugs in my house, a dead mouse in my bf’s shoe, an animal carcass (it was a blanket), etc. I actually called the police to report that there were people in my house that wouldn’t leave (I am extremely embarrassed by this), was trying to get a dog to come to me to see if it had a tag (it was a campaign sign), thought my dad had come over (haven’t spoken in 2 yrs). It was awful. My boyfriend flushed the pills down the toilet but it took ~3 days for me to finally stop hallucinating."

KJC May 31, 2018

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "I stopped taking Ambien because I had built up a tolerance to it. I waited a year and tried it again in the CR version. It made me fall asleep but only allowed me to sleep for a few hours which is more than I was getting."

Momma416 (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I took the quick release Ambien for 5 years. It worked great for sleep. I did have some bad side effects of doing things on Ambien that I don't remember the next day. It's similar to amnesia. I would take long grocery shopping trips and not remember them the next day. Things you have done just don't even exist in your memory so be careful only take them when you are in a safe situation. I give is an 8 because I did sleep--but the side effects were pretty bad."

Momma416 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 31, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Awesome! 2.5 mg almost every night has improved my life! I can get a solid 7-8 hours sleep regularly. The health benefits of this can not be underestimated! Ambien in not addictive. You can build up tolerance, but taking a low dosage regularly will cause better sleep patterns, therefore no need to increase dosage. The onset is quick, 30 minutes, and you wake up well rested. The health benefits of solid regular sleep (lower risk of heart disease, less stress and anxiety, more alert driving) should not be underestimated! Take the lowest dosage that works and stay on it. Stop listening to people who freak out when they hear Ambien. It has far fewer side effects than most other drugs. Melatonin is unregulated here, Tylenol PM dries out mucous membranes due to the benedryl and the chronic use of tylenol is tough on your liver. Xanax, Clonopine, etc. are benzodiazapines and can be addictive. Ambien is safe, effective and a lifesaver for chronic insomniacs."

kara May 27, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I’ve been on Ambien for 3 years. I started taking it during lots of international travel to help me sleep on planes. I continue taking it now for help with sleep. I take 10mg two to three times a week. When I first started taking it, it didn’t do much to put me to sleep, but it definitely helped keep me asleep. 3 years later, this stuff knocks me out and keeps me sound asleep for 6-7 hours. Contrary to other posts, I have never felt the slightest dependency or addiction to Ambien. It is a wonderful product."

JD (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Only thing that works for sleep."

Sandilikeabeach (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I break it up into teeny tiny pieces and it helps me fall asleep. Sometimes I take as little as 1.66 mg but 2.5 mg is my fave. I don't have trouble staying asleep, just falling asleep due to ADHD and an overactive procrastinating mind. When I used to take more of it, I would get rebound and wake up 5 hours later not being able to sleep. I don’t get that with smaller doses, sometimes I take it if I wake up in the middle of the night and can’t sleep. It does cause me to have bad skin if I take it too much. Clogs my pores big time. Very expensive stuff."

Teeny bit (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2018

"Yes, it can work for years without impacting your life but it does catch up with you and eventually you can end up addicted beyond belief. Don't take this drug for long as the withdrawal symptoms are shocking. I've been taking this drug for six years and weaned off 6 months ago but I still feel vulnerable and ready to use another 60grms plus in a heartbeat. It makes xanax look like a walk in the park to withdraw from."

penelope (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 9, 2018

"My Dr. started prescribing me 10mg of generic Ambien about four months ago. The one thing that has been constant with this med is its ability to induce sleep. Good sleep and quickly. However, up until this month, it was causing me extreme daytime anxiety and agitation. This month my prescription was by the manufacturer, Teva, and I have had none of the anxiety or anger. Hoping my Dr. is able to specifically prescribe Teva, otherwise I will not be able to continue taking it. I take the Ambien to fall asleep and Trazodone to stay asleep. Great combo for me. I actually look forward to sleep instead of fearing the hours of tossing and turning that used to haunt me."

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Zolpidem gave me the only withdrawal symptoms of my life. 48 hours of extreme mental and physical pain, soaked clothing and high blood pressure. Got hooked after just 1 month of continual use, about 4 x 10 mg doses per day. I have taken hydrocodone for pain for more than a month with no withdrawal symptoms and only moderate (manageable) craving. I started taking Ambien to fall asleep, then needed another dose 4 hours later to stay asleep, then started taking it during daytime to stave off the after-effects of the drug."

Vlad Tepes (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I've been taking Ambien for several years. Started taking 5mg only when on vacation while sleeping in an unfamiliar environment. Several years later I started having to take 5mg every night. Now I split the 10mg into thirds and it works great but I still take it every night. No side effects that I can tell. I always sleep through the night. Would like to split it into fourths but it's difficult to split that small. Melatonin is horrible, makes me sluggish the next morning with a nasty headache. I've tried several times to stop Ambien and it's not difficult to stop (no cravings or withdrawal symptoms), it's just that I don't fall asleep on my own anymore."

Sue (taken for 10 years or more) April 14, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have been dealing with severe insomnia recently and tried several things. Melatonin worked for about a day, than stopped. I tried OTC options, but nothing worked I would get drowsy but still unable to fall asleep. It was beginning to take a toll on my body, I have a physically demanding job and was really feeling the effects. My doctor is great, he asked about things I've tried and he told me to try Ambien. Well, talk about fantastic I took it last night after trying to fall asleep naturally and failing, and within 45 minutes I was blissfully asleep. I slept the entire night, something I haven't been able to do. It works wonders for me, although I haven't been on it enough to know if it will continue to work and I am aware of the limitations of this drug (shouldn't take it more than 2 weeks). If you have a doctor willing to let you try it, I would highly recommend you do so. Make sure you take it about an hour before you want to be in bed sleeping."

Weee96 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

Intermezzo (zolpidem): "These take up to an hour to kick in for me so it is frustrating when I take it for breakthrough insomnia in the middle of the night. I also feel more groggy with this sublingual form of ambien versus when I take standard ambien(swallow). Not what I was expecting, but it does help a little."

Jess (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Sometimes it helped me fall asleep, sometimes it didn't. And if you do take this, do not resist the urge to fall asleep....else you will trip. One night I felt like my bedroom was a rocket ship and if I were to open my bedroom door I would be in outer space....next drug please."

Dantheman93 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2018