User Reviews for Zolpidem

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Learn more about Zolpidem.

Zolpidem Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zolpidem to treat Insomnia

"Very addicting. Destroyed my life. Ok at first for a week or two but then one wouldn't put me to sleep so I started taking two then three then I couldn't sleep at all. It was like my mind was craving it to slow down. Before long my husband was taking way to many. The depression was overwhelming. It is as addictive as cocaine or heroin"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "It's hard for me to fall asleep almost every night. And I'm also a very light sleeper. I don't take it every night (10mg), just when I'm having issues with trying to fall asleep/stay asleep. One of the first times taking it about a year ago, I was visiting my mom. I took the pill and laid down. About 15min later I started sweating and felt really weird! I started hallucinating like crazy!! I was seeing a cat on the bed and then I started seeing people in the room. I then started to freak out and got really scared. I got up to use the bathroom and then fell into the wall. She helped me back to bed. The whole experience was SO scary!! I now take 5mg and it works fine w/ no issues. I think the dose was too much."

ParrotletLover (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "I love ambien! It is the only thing that works for me. A few yrs ago when I started becoming a worse insomniac nothing would work. I remember trying tylonal pm and at first one worked.. then had to bump up to two.. then so on and so on.. until one day I had taken way too many and a Valium and I still wouldn't pass out. I would be all drunk off the meds but it was like the light switch in my head wouldn't turn off. I slept maybe a nap here and there for about a week and was thinking of checking my self into a nutty house because I would drive somewhere without remembering all from lack of sleep. Very long story short ambien is the only thing to me that I take and feels like a natural lay my head down and go to sleep"

AmabienMandy July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication just makes me more frustrated...absolutely not a wink of sleep for two nights in a row. I just feel extremely exhausted but cannot sleep even after taking the pill about 6 hours ago, instead I'm getting a pounding headache"

wide-awake-beauty July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Don't underestimate the warning about depression in the pamphlet! Following a traumatic experience, I've been experiencing anxious and depressive episodes for the last couple of months that have cost me restful sleep, but after taking 5 mg of this medication for one night, I hallucinated really terrifying stuff, slept the same or worse than I normally would (woke up 2 hrs later and then slept in short interrupted phases after) and then coped with WAY worse than normal emotional lows, self hatred and horrible suicidal thoughts the next day. Reading other reviews and waiting for the medication to pass helped a lot, and I feel much better now. But never again."

Catsomniac June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have had good luck with this drug. Diag with early onset parkinson's in 2010. 46yo. With parkinson's you need a good nights sleep to help repair your brain. For me 1/2 pill does the trick and puts me to sleep for about 5 hours - sure bets laying awake all night."

mjbaz2002 June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This blue generic version of ambien is worthless. Instead of enabling sleep, I become restless and agitated. In addition, I've had a migraine since the pharmacy filled my prescription with this generic. I have degenerative discs in my spine, which is very painful, and need the ambien to sleep. Two weeks now without sleep on these pills."

Avia925 June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on a cross country flight and took ambien in hopes of sleeping through the ordeal. I have severe anxiety when it comes to flying and a (seemingly unattainable) dream of mine is to be able to board, pass out, wake up when we land. I took TWO ambien and was rewarded with some mild symptoms of intoxication, a headache, and a few weepy spells. I thought this medication would do what I needed but now I guess I officially know there's no way to snuff out my nerves."

Jstine June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "This helps you sleep alright, but I would hallucinate before I finally feel asleep. I would do as I was told - take it when I was in bed ready to go to sleep. One night everything turned a soft pink color and I swore my cat was urgently trying to tell me something. Another night I thought my then roommate had a party in the living room after I went to bed. I have friends who take it and do things like make phone calls they don't remember and even cook and eat food. I don't recommend it."

JenF (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have been taking Ambien for almost 10 years and it works like a charm for me. I was prescribed Ambien following the murder of my only child. A year later my husband of 40 years was diagnosed with ALS. I am a full-time working caregiver and sleep would be elusive if not for Ambien. I am now 61 years young and healthy as a horse. Unfortunately, Express Scripts, BCBS or my employer is making it almost impossible for me to get a Rx filled. I am very frustrated!! People are different and Rxs work differently on all of us ! I know Ambien works for me."

GardenJoy (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took ambien while I was in the hospital and it helped! However I have taking it for 2 nights here at home it took me 5 hours to fall asleep. Then I was up in 2 hours! Will it get better"

Tx girl (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "Ambien or 'Zolped...' was terrible. I started hallucinating. Now, I do drink caffeine in the morning but it should not have this koo koo effect. My ceiling turned into peaceful, lit-up jellyfish tentacles and my pillow turned into a moving/billowing cloud of a worm. Pretty crazy but that is what I saw when I took this crap. I was dazed... it didn't initially help me fall asleep. Perhaps I'm allergic to Ambien, I have no idea. I believe I took it with 5 or 10mg of melatonin. Whew... that was a cocktail to go nuts. Stick with Tamazepam (Restoril)... way better"

Sunrise1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "I'm a 68 year-old male and I've taken this drug for almost 10 years and it has helped me enormously. I have had no side effects yet my doctor now says he wants me to get off it. I asked why and he said Ambien is dangerous. After 10 years now it's dangerous? I now am cutting down to 1/4 of 5mg and it is not working. I asked what options do I have and he said "natural sleep is best" Thanks, doctor."

dondo747 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Zolpidem is OK (not great) as as sleeping aid. I do experience a rather weird side effect: sleepwalking and sleepeating. Every morning my fridge looks as if the locusts have feasted (fortunately I don't have a weight problem)"

Sleepless Andy May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "I absolutely love Ambien. Love it. However, building up a tolerance sucks, the drug testing sucks, having to have a doctors appointment monthly to get a prescription sucks, and knowing I'm taking something I know I could become dependent on sucks. No groggy mornings, if taken within a half hour of going to bed I can fall asleep easily, and a few funny text conversations to wake up to. I have tried SO many things and this is so far the only one that has even helped."

MelseyKiller (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Got a recipe for insomnia. It makes me sleep great but during the day I feel like garbage and very depressed! Crying a lot! I don't recommend it."

pnc (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "I'm taking this medication as prescibe by my doctor it has not helped at all in fact the third time taking it I did not feel sleepy nor did I fall asleep"

Nochange May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "I've been on it two years it has been wonderful for me the only downside is the tolerence I've buliding up my doctor put me on Lunesta last night and I do not like it it did not work it makes me feel like garbage all day I want is to go back to my Ambien already!"

Anonymous35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "I began taking Ambien 15 years ago I stopped it while I was pregnant with my first child and then ended up going back on it from lack of sleep for so long. I took it again first time 6 1/2 years before becoming pregnant again and then had to stop it. When my youngest son was a year and a half old I started taking it again because I could not sleep longer than an hour. When I first started taking Ambien I think the chemical compound was a different because back then I would eat in my sleep, cook meals in my sleep, but then after going off of it and going back on it I believe the formulation changed. I have not had any of those issues for over 13 years. Taking it on empty stomach makes a huge difference."

Collinevin1980 (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 10mg of Zolpidem at night and it works in about 30 minutes. I sleep so much better and it does not make me groggy the next day. It takes a couple weeks of use to work really well. It trains your body to sleep."

Sleepy now (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "I've had chronic insomnia most of my life, I took ambien 10mgs for 6 yrs it helped me so much to lead productive life, sleeping at night waking up in the morning with really no bad side effects, I don't live in the US anymore and ambien isn't available I think due the bad rap it gets by complainer"s, while people like myself who have benefitted from it aren't as likely to review a drug, they haven't had a problem with - just human nature. I've tried a whole host of anti-depresents & other sedatives 7-8 none are as effective and have more side effects than ambien"

AnthonyEU (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "I take 10mg ambien, 3mg klonipin and 100mg of Seroquel. Sleep pretty good most of the time. A bit groggy in the morning but nothing a shot of coffee won't fix"

qwewqe April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "I just tried ambien last night for the first time since not getting any more than 2-3 hrs of sleep and I didn't take the recommended amount of 5mg I took 10mg n it worked perfect for me no side affects of being drowsy in the morning nothing slept right through the night and woke up like a new refreshed woman."

Katilya April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): " I hate the doctors that prescribe ambien to patients like me. They are putting patent's life in danger. I know some people taking this pill during the day too and they take way too much . It is adicctive"

Mavina (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ambien (zolpidem): "I was given ambien 5mg tablets while I was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery and ambien actually kept me wide awake!"

Lucia1999 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017