User Reviews for Zolpidem

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Zolpidem Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 106 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zolpidem to treat Insomnia

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have been dealing with severe insomnia recently and tried several things. Melatonin worked for about a day, than stopped. I tried OTC options, but nothing worked I would get drowsy but still unable to fall asleep. It was beginning to take a toll on my body, I have a physically demanding job and was really feeling the effects. My doctor is great, he asked about things I've tried and he told me to try Ambien. Well, talk about fantastic I took it last night after trying to fall asleep naturally and failing, and within 45 minutes I was blissfully asleep. I slept the entire night, something I haven't been able to do. It works wonders for me, although I haven't been on it enough to know if it will continue to work and I am aware of the limitations of this drug (shouldn't take it more than 2 weeks). If you have a doctor willing to let you try it, I would highly recommend you do so. Make sure you take it about an hour before you want to be in bed sleeping."

Weee96 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

Intermezzo (zolpidem): "These take up to an hour to kick in for me so it is frustrating when I take it for breakthrough insomnia in the middle of the night. I also feel more groggy with this sublingual form of ambien versus when I take standard ambien(swallow). Not what I was expecting, but it does help a little."

Jess (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Sometimes it helped me fall asleep, sometimes it didn't. And if you do take this, do not resist the urge to fall asleep....else you will trip. One night I felt like my bedroom was a rocket ship and if I were to open my bedroom door I would be in outer space....next drug please."

Dantheman93 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2018

"This medicine does work for me l go to sleep right way. Yes l did have side effects but does not last long and I take it every night."

Tina March 24, 2018

Edluar (zolpidem): "Excellent product, but I have had difficulty getting the prescription filled for months due to a manufacturer backorder. This drug was an excellent addition to my bedtime routine. Get in bed, hold it in your mouth, and asleep within 20 minutes. This greatly reduced the chances of getting out of bed and doing something stupid, like with generic Ambien. Generic Ambien takes too long to onset and can feel gradual, which is confusing and might lead to me "forgetting to go to bed". But the Edluar solved that problem because it is fast acting. Only issue is the manufacturer backorder and high cost."

Neversleeps (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2018

"I like this drug because it's sublingual and so it works very quickly. They say it helps you fall asleep but not stay asleep and I have found that to be true for me. There is also the well known dangers of parasomnias such as sleep walking and sleep eating and so on. I sleep-drove, and even sleep-bought-insurance, all with no memory, so take it just at bedtime, go right to sleep, don't take too much, and take some steps to make sure you wake up if you get out of bed (newspaper crumpled on the floor or something). But overall, I like it better than Zopiclone which tends to have a residual effect the next day."

wcforan (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 12, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I've used this med for years with no apparent problem. WRONG. As I began asking family and friends, I find I have been doing MANY dangerous activities with absolutely NO recollection. This medication is absolutely frightening. I had no idea there was even a problem. Use at risk of yourself and those around you. I now have a criminal record and am just glad no one got physically hurt."

jmcm (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have taken every sleeping medication under the stars but Ambien is all that works for me. I take it 2-4 times a week when I know I need decent sleep. I cut a 10mg pill in half usually, but sometimes I take a full 10mg so I can sleep solidly for 9 hours straight. Unfortunately, when I took Ambien every night, it stopped working for me, so now I switch it up and take melatonin when I don't take Ambien, but that doesn't even work for me anymore. One bottle of 30 10mg pills lasts me 4 months, and I need to keep stretching it out like this because Army medical does not like to keep giving patients Ambien, even though multiple doctors have seen that it is the only thing that helps me sleep, and obviously I am not addicted because I can go days without taking it."

dawn19825 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

"I have been taking Zolpidem 10mg; generic that looked like Ambien. My pharmacy switched to another generic version, still 10mg, however after a week of this version I'm CONVINCED there are differences in generics. This new form doesn't seem to work for me like the original Zolpidem that I had been taking, I will request they use the old version or will be switching pharmacies."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Only medication that allows me to get about 7 hours of deep sleep. No sleepwalking, sleep eating or dreams.... Just solid sleep. After a while it doesn't keep me asleep the entire time so I cut back for a while. I've taken every benzo and besides xanax, this works the best."

slickwilly (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Ambien is the only thing that has worked for me to sleep. The only problem is is I get withdrawals and anxiety during the day."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2018

"Dr prescribed for one week on 10mg as nothing else seemed to work. Got around 5 to 6 hrs sleep per night definitely a lot better than others I've tried. Just not looking forward to trying to get sleep without them."

Nicola131276 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "From a child I have had problems sleeping, as a teen I would be awake all night laying in bed and have to go to school next day. Well in my twenties and thirties I gave up working as couldn't sleep well. Yeah I took sominex stuff over counter and would get a few hours of good sleep. But when I got to 40 years old I so stressed No sleep was killing me and I was so anxious and panic attacks were getting so bad I wouldn't leave house. So I told my doc I gotta have something and he gave me Ambien and small does of Xanax. That was 13 years ago. I go in every six months for bloodwork and all is fine and Ambien gave me my life back again. I sleep only 5-6 hours on 10 mg but that works for me. But yesterday he said after he gave me six month script that he don't' know how longer he can give it unless I go see a psychiatrist or go for sleep study. Govt is cracking down."

wilmaweiny February 3, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I'm a 77 yr-old maIe. I have been taking Ambien/zolpidem for 10 years, 10 mg at first, then 5 mg last 2 years on MD advice, then last year cut down to 2.5 mg (1/2-5mg tab) with 1/2-25mg doxylamine succ. tab. This combo has worked well but on occasion, if I awakened and could not go back to sleep I either take other half of zolp. or other 1/2 of doxy. and go back to sleep after about 15 minutes. I feel fine with 8 or 9 hrs of sleep. Recently, PCP has prescribed 100 mg. gabapentin due to concerns over long-term dangers of zolp. I am concerned that gabap. will have no useful sleep help as its use as a sleep med is off-label. I had no benefits from trazadone which is a useless drug in my opinion (retired psychologist). Lunesta, trazadone and Sonata were not helpful either. I am going to try the gabapentin, but I am not very optimistic about efficacy. I have NONE of the labelled conditions, but I'm willing to see what a couple or three weeks use will bring."

DocCasey (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2018

"I have been taking Ambien 10 mg for two weeks. Every time I take the pill it takes me one to two hours to fall asleep. I sleep for about five hours then I’m awake and can’t fall back asleep.I do wake up refreshed and rested. Just wish I could get 7-8 hours. Other than that problem I think it works great."

Ratzking January 30, 2018

"I have extreme chronic muscle pain that prevents me from falling asleep. Zolpidem helps put me to sleep at least five out of every seven nights. I am also on Mirtazapine @ 15 mg's (an anti-depressant also used for sleep and certain types of pain). I find if I'm not a little drowsy, and my chronic pain is not lessened when I take the zolpidem, I won't fall asleep. I take the Mirtazapine three hours before bed, and then the zolpidem two hours later. I'm generally drowsy and experiencing less pain by then. After the zolpidem dose, usually asleep within an hour. For pain patients, I highly recommend the Mirtazapine/zolpidem combination. The quality of sleep is good as well, and I don't feel drugged or groggy in the morning."

Campaigner8 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2018

"Puts me to sleep, but causes me to wake hourly through night and morning. Have broken 3 bones while on this medication, no recollection of what happened. Pretty scary, won't be taking again."

KatieAndr (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2018

"Used to take this drug works great in beginning, 2 years later not good. Went off myself 3 rd night and hardly 3 hours sleep, nausea throwing up, but the fog is cleared! Don't have a choice ran out of medicine I'll find new alternative."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2018

"10mg. Woke to the smell of paint fumes & it tasted like I'd sprayed black spray paint in my mouth. ! Gargled cold water, spit it out a few times .Family woke me naked in recliner in morning."

OGQtx70 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2018

Edluar (zolpidem): "This is the best medication for insomnia I have taken. It generally took about 15 minutes after I took the medication I was asleep. I no longer take this medication because it is astronomically expensive with no co-pay assistance card. If they could get the cost down I would switch back."

dogmom918 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 13, 2018

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "Having insomnia and anxiety for years. This issues had been struggle me. First doctor prescribed me benzodiazepines “Nitrazepam” 5mg for day time during work. And “Valium” 10mg for night time. It doesn’t work for me both. Even worst of those side effects. I tried so many different type of pills. Lastly I been prescribed Stilnox CR 12.5mg for the night. Which work pretty awesome. Which now I can sleep 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep and I can control my anxiety during work time. Probably I had enough sleep that why. Amazing pill!"

Jerry vll January 5, 2018

"I like this med it takes affect immediately but the one downfall is that I am fully awake 3 to 4 hours later. So its not long lasting...but when you first take it you are ready to sleep."

Rosie1967 December 23, 2017

Ambien (zolpidem): "I started having sleep issues 10 years ago. I tried a bunch of different meds and eventually tried ambien. It definitely puts me to sleep but doesn't keep me asleep. After about 4 hours it's completely out of my system. I have been taking it for 8 years now. I tried lunesta, sonata, trazadone, seroquil, klonopin, melatonin, valerian root, even ambien controlled release. This is the only med that can get me to sleep and not give me a weird drugged feeling in the am. Ambien CR didn't even put me to sleep. Weird I know. I would recommend it just beware of the side effects it has, that is night eating and doing things you don't recall in the am."

Cheryl2280 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 14, 2017

Ambien (zolpidem): "I started taking ambien about 2 years ago. I started off with 5 mg then went to 10 mg and then 20 mg. Once the 20mg stopped working I am now changing to a different sleep aid.."

Tired female December 13, 2017

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "Took this drug for about 4 years, the 12.5 mg dosage. I had always been a chronic insomniac and had tried everything, including regular Ambien (not the CR), none of which worked reliably. When I first started CR it worked well for about a year, but then not only was it only effective about every 3rd day. It nearly killed me, literally. Some horrible side effects : chronic fatigue; splitting temporal lobe headaches (left side of head near temples); sporadic, frequent pain behind my left eye; rapid weight loss (45 ponds, was 210, ended up 165 at 6' tall); muscular pain all over, serious depression, nightmares, dry eye and blurriness; and the feeling I was dying quickly. I stopped cold turkey and in 3 days ALL my symptoms were gone!!"

Dewey03894 December 12, 2017