User Reviews for Zolpidem

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Zolpidem Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 104 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zolpidem to treat Insomnia

Ambien (zolpidem): "Always puts me to sleep but I almost always wake up after about 1 -1.75 hrs. I wake up starving. Going back to bed no help from the medication. "

Dave (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Whilst Ambien does put me to sleep I have found it isn't consistent and it varies night to night on how long it keeps me asleep. 10mg can give me almost 7 hours which is fantastic but some nights I only sleep for 3 and a half on the same dose, which can be a bit disappointing when you roll over to check the time. Also there are some notable side effects such as amnesia before bedtime, next day depression and anxiety. And when you come off this drug your own sleep seems worse than before you went on Ambien and accompanied by nightmares. Of course we are all different but those are my experiences on this drug."

PeterJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "After having gastric bypass in 08, I ended up in hospital for a month. It took one of the night nurses to notice I never slept. He talked to other nurses and they noticed too but never said anything. They called dr that night n gave me an Ambien. I was in heaven. I've always had problems with insomnia. It kept getting worse, so I took 2 a night. I'm lucky if that works every 2 or 3 days n that only works for 4-5 hours. We tried the extended release, and if u can believe this, is worse. Maybe 2 1/2 hours. I've tried every sleep medicine, done so many sleep studies and no one has any ideas on how to help me at all. 7 days was the longest without sleep n ended up in hospital for the same amount of days. No sleep is the most horrible mind screwing thing ever. It's horrible, horrible, horrible and don't wish it on anyone!!!!"

Klbluvroll (taken for 10 years or more) September 11, 2018

"I just started 5 mg zolpidem for chronic insomnia. I have tried everything there is and this is the best so far. It doesn't last all night though. I feel no impairment the next day. My wife on the other hand passed out sitting up and with her eyes open! Unresponsive. Scary. I called help. So go carefully - individuals get very different results."

Bou (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2018

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "I have sleep maintenance problems - I fall asleep right away but many times wake up after 4 hours and find it very difficult and frustrating to fall asleep again . Ambien CR is really helpful - it extends my sleep time from 4 to 7 hours. I am 64 years old and have been taking the 6.25 mg pill on and off for the last 2 years with no need to change for the higher dosage. I report from Israel. I am insured by Maccabi health services and since I have a premium coverage it costs 50% of the official MOH recommended maximum price list."

Comet (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 31, 2018

"I had been sleepless forever when a P.A. talked me into trying Ambien. I loved it! For the 1st time I was able to fall asleep and stay asleep. Then my insurance changed to Kaiser and my new Dr. said, “Ambien! We’re going to have to change that. You’ll sleep when you get tired enough.” So I went back to life without restful sleep. Having known what life was like with a good night’s sleep, I changed my Dr. and he put me on Trazadone which worked fine for a couple years. Then I started getting anxiety when I didn’t take it. My doc said to wean off of it slowly and we would try something else. It took about 6 weeks, then we tried Mirtazapine. The Mirtazapine didn’t help at all and by week two I was feeling very out of sorts. Something was not right with the Mirtazapine. Then I learned that Mirtazapine was another anti depressant! I had insomnia not depression! I am now back on Zolpidem and sleeping without side effects."

Juan2sleep August 30, 2018

"Zolpiderm is heaven sent. I’ve tried every natural remedy I can think of including meditation, exercise, boiled bananas tea, sleepy teas, healthy eating, regular sleeping schedule, temperature noise control, CBT, muscle relaxation, zinc, melatonin, CBD oil/tincture, valerian root tincture and tea, stretching, positive thoughts, no tv right before bed, bed only used for sleep, and other ridiculous things and nothing worked. Just couldn’t get to sleep and stay asleep. Would fall asleep around 4am to 7am and wake up a few times in between and felt horrible with many days of not sleeping at all. It affected my health by making me foggy, gaining weight, irritable, forgetful, lack of concentration, and exhausted all day. Now thank goodness for Zolpidem because I am able to take it and fall asleep within 30-50 minutes and stay asleep until 7 am refreshed and full of energy of the day. Very appreciative for this medication."

Sue (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Ambien did not make me groggy during the day and did make me fall asleep, but I was forgetful during the day and fell out of bed and bruised my arm badly. I still think it is a good medication for severe insomnia. Not good to take long term for me."

Merry (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2018

Edluar (zolpidem): "Other medications took 1 to 2 hrs to work, this drug works within 45 minutes, taste is very good can wake up no problem, this drug was impossible to get for about 6 months, I wish another manufacturer would make this because this drug is so expensive! Even the copay is high. This edluar is same as lunesta but fast acting, all other sleep meds are time release. No side effects!"

Cpap user (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 22, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I'm a very positive person but Ambien left me extremely depressed and completely out of character. I told my doctor but she blew me off. I think it's junk and I would never take it again."

Tigerwrl (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have suffered with chronic insomnia since last year so my doctor gave me 10mg Ambien to try and I have to say it does work quick (within 20 mins) and I reckon it gives me between 4 and 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep before I wake. Some nights it works better than others, weird but not sure why despite empty stomach. However I only take it about 2 or 3 nights a week but on the nights I don't take it I have a really crazy nightmares but in between them I toss and turn for hours. So I can understand out of desperation people take this medication every night because of the problems when you stop taking it. I came off it for 2 weeks and it took about a week for me to get a reasonable night's sleep and that's despite not taking it every night. So whilst this drug is extremely effective for sleep onset insomnia it does seem to affect the body longer than the professionals say as like I mentioned about the lingering sleep troubles after you stop taking it. So my advice is take sparingly."

LiamCK (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2018

"My experience with Ambien started in 2008. I was going through some rough times in my life. I was depressed and could not sleep well. My doc prescribed me Ambien 5mg "for a couple of months". A few years later the dose was increased to 10 and then to 20mg. I was taking it for 10 years with a few short breaks here and there. Now I'm finally on my route to get it out of my system. January-July I was taking only 5mg a night. The withdrawal is REAL. I have all the symptoms possible. I could not function too well, so I took 2 weeks off from work. I wake up after 4-5hrs of sleep and am unable to fall back asleep. I have flu like symptoms. I lose balance. I cannot think straight as my brain is foggy. But I'm staying strong. I'm 5 days Ambien free. Pls, take it only if it is your last resort and NEVER let it control you."

amistal81 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 7, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I took this medicine for only 3 months. At first I was amazed by it's effectiveness but I only slept for 4 hours and was having some anxiety attack the day after. I was calling this drug : the chemical lobotomy . Highly addictive because you don't want to stop this magical affect of falling asleep after 10 minutes of taking it. It took me a few attempts to be able to stop it. When it did stop working after 3 months and I was needing 2 pills to fall asleep , I simply stopped and replaced it with xanax . Too expensive also. Harmful for the gums and teeth. There is a type of sugar in it and because it melt under the tongue , the sugar residue stay there for the night, your teeth and gums will degrade. Try to find something else. Also , I had to drive my kid to school the morning after and I was not really straight , I didn't like to drive the morning after. Dangerous."

sirius1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "I suffer from anxiety and Ambien does give me at least 5 hours of sleep. Without it I wake up at least 4 times a night to use the restroom, which I'm surprised I don't wet the bed! I have not had any significant side effects. Sometimes I'll forget to do something and fight off the Ambien and I start thinking of weird trippy thoughts, and that's when I realize it's the ambien and hit the hay. There has been 2 nights in the last 4 months that I woke up shivering and sweaty but getting some sleep is better than risking the cold sweats. I recently tried sleeping without Ambien....and was awake for 48 hours. I would not say I have grown an addiction to it, but without it I fear that I will never sleep. I do not have an addictive personality at all. I do notice I am hungry all day. Haven't gained any weight though so that could be nothing. If I drink or eat before Ambien (I rarely drink) I feel it is less effective. There is risk with every medicine. If you need sleep it is worth a shot."

Sleepygirl August 5, 2018

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "They had me on ambien 10.5 for thirty day. It never worked for me. Now he has me taking Ambien CR which is not any better. Ambien seems like a sugar pill as far as I can tell. Think twice before paying for it!!!!"

Dennis (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2018

"I tried zopiclone then flurezapam and finally Ambien. Thankfully the Ambien worked. I have suffered from insomnia for years but now I can sleep"

Ceejay (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Ambien saved my life. I’ve suffered from severe panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and Phobias since I was 5 and 6. I was also diagnosed with ADHD when I was 11. The anxiety has come and gone and I have been on 25 MGs. Of Zoloft for years. Well, I’m 21 now and thought that I could get off my anxiety meds about a year ago and boy was I wrong. It was fine for about a year but in December something snapped and I was in a full fledged panic mode. I couldn’t eat or sleep or even function. I felt like I was dying. Anyways, my dad used to take ambien for travel and he happened to have some left. I was in a fit and was bawling cause of sleep deprivation and he’s like here, take half of one of these. I took my first 5mgs of ambien and I could sleep! I cried when I woke up cause I started to feel better. I then got my own prescription and eventually I didn’t need them and I went back to normal. I have some in case of emergencies, but I don’t need to take it every night."

danicalifornia July 15, 2018

"My experience of Zolpidem is like many on here, I take 10mg every 3 nights for example if I take it on Monday night I will have a break until Thursday and so on, that way my body does not get addicted to it. For me it starts to work in as little as 10 mins when relaxation kicks in then the full affects begin around 20 mins, but if you are not in bed you can begin to have balance issues when walking, similar to being drunk and there's been times when I have had amnesia if I have not got in bed straight after taking this drug. Been times when I have taken one and then been reading in the lounge before bed and the next thing I remember is waking up 6 hours later in bed, not remembering how I got here or turning the lights off (thankfully I did turn them off I just don't remember!) - it is a powerful drug so always remember to take it as you get into bed or you will be at the risk of having amnesia. Overall it works quickly and is the most effective sleeping medication I have taken."

Gaz1985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2018

"Been using for several years. 12.5mg XR. Some memory issues but it's effective. The 5mg and 10mg don't keep me asleep all night."

RM (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 9, 2018

"I started taking ambien 10 years ago. I even call her amber because she is my best friend. I had trouble sleeping at night since I was a child. So when I got pregnant it got worst. After birth the doctor prescribed me ambien and It has change my life. Because despite the works difficulties I know as long as I had it I was promise to a good night rest. Now it does have long term side effects, like digestive problem and anxiety. But it goes and comes. I would recommend this drug to anybody but be careful it acts different on everybody"

Mrs. Floyd (taken for 10 years or more) July 5, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Prescribed for over 10 years. Had to cut dosage in 1/2 due to recall difficulties. Binge eating an understatement. Works well for chronic insomnia even with moderate caffeine intake. Need to take rest position almost immediately after nightly dosage or medicine benefits pass unnoticed."

Hammer2x (taken for 10 years or more) June 28, 2018

"Torrent brand is the only generic that works for me. Teva brand does not work at all. I have been taking this for 15 years with no side effects at all. All you have to do is ask your pharmacist for this brand."

Trish (taken for 10 years or more) June 25, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Ambien is a miracle drug, in my opinion. It can become addictive and you can build up a tolerance for it, but that doesn't have to be the case. It happened to me several years ago when I was taking 10mg each and every night over a period of several months. During the past two or three years, I've been taking a maximum of 5mg a couple of times a week. More often than not, I break a 5mg tablet in half, and that does the trick. I have not become addicted to it again. I simply take the pill about 15 minutes before going to bed, and then I drift off peacefully and sleep soundly until morning. When I wake up, I don't feel drugged or still drowsy. I feel refreshed. When used sensibly, Ambien can be a godsend."

Katzpur (taken for 10 years or more) June 25, 2018

"I haven't been able to sleep for weeks. I take zolpidem every night . I lay in bed and have thoughts and no REM sleep. I've tried a muscle relaxer Flexeril with it and still nothing. Tonight I took an Ativan. It did nothing. I can't function and do a lot of physical work outside all day sweat and still can't sleep. I have to make a 16 hour drive and I'm afraid I will crash. I have a lot of stress in my life. I stopped smoking pot about a month ago. I also stopped taking my anti depressants. I feel like a zombie. I started drinking beer to see if mixing the beer and zolpidem worked. It didn't. I'm losing my mind and stressed out. I watch every hour go by. I've been getting bit by buffalo gnats working outside everyday. Why won't my body just shut down. I don't normally drink soda but bc I've been drinking a mountain dew for caffeine since I don't drink coffee. I also drink Gatorade everyday at least 2 bottles. But I sweat a lot in the heat working. . What the hell am I supposed to do ?"

John J (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2018

Ambien (zolpidem): "Everyone please be aware that Ambien has very dangerous side effects. I was placed on it for insomnia. I took a dose one night before bed one night. My husband, I landed up becoming very agitated, running up and down the stairs and around the house, you could do anything and not remembering one bit of this the next day. I became very scared after hearing this and immediately stopped it and told my doctor of this adverse reaction. Be aware of this dangerous drug reaction!"

Kim June 7, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Insomnia