User Reviews for Zolpidem

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Learn more about Zolpidem.

Zolpidem Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zolpidem to treat Insomnia

Ambien (zolpidem): "People, be careful with Ambien. I was put on Ambien 10 mg back in late 2014, I recently stopped the medication told turkey. It's been a week since I quit, I have been having severe withdrawal. Nightmares, night sweats, and frequent urination are the most occurring symptoms I have been dealing with. Doctors seldom tell patients about drug withdrawals, which is why I am suffering from these problems. So, be careful before you take a new prescribed medication."

Anonymous July 18, 2016

"WARNING: take the side-effects of this med really seriously. I had a car accident which shook me up emotionally really badly and I wasn't sleeping. So the doc prescribed Ambien, which I was somewhat aware of, but had never taken. For a little context, I am a 45 year-old guy. The morning after my third night of taking Ambien, I woke up to discover that I had ENROLLED IN COLLEGE. I don't know why, I don't know why I picked the school I picked, but I registered, got accepted, applied for financial aid-- the whole thing, without intending to, nor remembering having done it. It turned out to have been a great thing for me (this was two years ago). I also NOW know to take Ambien and then LAY THE EFF DOWN.. don't sit up, waiting for it work."

Clegg (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2016

"After having spent 6 days with absolutely no sleep, I finally asked to get something prescribed. I admit it worked right away that night. With time (one week) I feel like I got used to it and became a zombie at night. Awake but not awake/aware. Some nights it works and some nights it doesn't at all, keeping me up all night doing anything but sleep. I'm not sure wether to recommend it or not, I'm almost done with my month and I have mixed emotions as the amounts of times I fell asleep are less than the ones I did not. When I don't fallasleep after taking it I become paranoid and think to myself "oh my god I HAVE to fall asleep now" creating a rather nervewrecking situation...or I find myself cleaning the house or doing laundry and so..."

Rebeccat7 July 11, 2016

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "I was given two choices for my insomnia; melatonin or ambien as a quick fix. Of course I picked the quick fix and went with ambien. I took the first night and for 20-30 minutes after taking read reviews online. While reading I noticed my phone screen seemed to move and I lost focus over and over again. I thought maybe because I had been up for over 24 hours from the insomnia prior to getting the prescription, but upon the second time taking it realized that if you fight the window of time to fall asleep, you do get quiet a high. Hallucinations do occur occasionally. However, i was given a two week trial of this drug to see how well it worked for me and as I continue to take it I notice that I fall asleep quickly, but wake up throughout nite"

Kristinx234 July 7, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "Without Ambien I'm up literally all night. But if you don't take it on am empty stomach it doesn't work at all. I take it at midnight and can't eat after 5 or 6PM or else it won't work. If you try and stay up after it starts to work you may do things you wouldn't normally do - like shop online, which I've done and many people I know. Luckily everything I've bought is stuff I've wanted, but still..."

Beth A (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "ambien was the only sleeping pill that worked for me i was on 10 mg and went to the ambien cr on 12.5 mg and back to 10 mg taking it on an empty stomach made me binge, forgetful, and do questionable/irresponsible things i wouldn't normally do it also sometimes made me drowsy in the morning it works quickly unlike certain sleeping meds that you have to take 3 hours with food before bed i had withdrawals on ambien as well a lot of negatives for me but i still liked it best"

Former Ambien Taker (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "A real savior. Finally getting some sleep. Went off for a month to see if I could sleep without it. The answer was no but no other withdrawal symptoms. Be sure to give yourself 8 hours and nix the alcohol."

Sny222 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 27, 2016

"My Dr. in NYC took me off of Halcion (which worked great!) and put me on Ambien when it came out being touted as a "miracle sleep aid". Doc told me that it was non-habit forming, if it worked for me I wouldn't ever need to use more than the 5 mg. tabs (sounded like she had just memorized company literature). Anyway the .5 mg. Ambien worked great for a while, especially helpful as my work schedule(s) varied so much. I'd sleep and wake up refreshed. But after 7 or 8 yrs. of taking .5 mg several nights a week, I needed 10 mg. to get & stay asleep. Then it stopped working. Fact is, you have to go off Ambien for a while until your "tolerance" goes away & I'll bet that's the case with all sleep aids - it's back to Halcion for me!"

Charlotte Gal (taken for 10 years or more) June 21, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "I take Ambien, Ambien CR and rotate to Lunesta briefly when they build a tolerance. Ambien is first rate though. They all have an odd effect of not drifting off - I blink and wake up in the morning. I'm ok with that. Ambien CR makes me a bit cranky if I wake early, like the cat waking me. Otherwise they all work, and fast, like 30 minutes. I have a small amount of Ambien CR left, which I think is the best but it's expensive. The others are generic, but work ok."

muDraconis (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "I was diagnosed with chronic insomnia when I was 13, currently I'm 19 years old. I've been prescribed a great many things to help get me to sleep and, more importantly, stay asleep. Since I want to keep this short I'll just say that ambien is the only one that's worked efficiently for an extended period of time. It helps you relax, if you're an anxious person like me, and surprisingly enough I don't even wake up during the nights like I used to. Suppose I've finally gotten used to the drug or actually getting a good night's rest, considering my sleep problems had been around since I was around 8. Anyway, works great. My does is currently 20 mg, every night. Probably going to get lowered to 10mg some time soon."

Sleepless Guy Far from Home June 20, 2016

"Don't do it......after taking this for about two weeks. I found myself becoming suicidal. As a veteran with PTSD I highly recommend anybody that's on antidepressants or antipsychotics to stay away from this prescription."

Kelvin12345 June 7, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "Ive had every sleeping medicine, even test drugs, thats legal where I am but only ambien has let me sleep. Ive been on ambien for about 3 years now. I take it because my autonomic nervous system doesnt work properly and my adrenaline wont shut of to let me sleep. Though ambien is the only thing that lets me sleep, it does give me weird trips or hallucinations sometimes. Which I have been told isnt a good thing and you should stop if you hallucinate or have a bad trip, but I'm on 10mg of ambien and I fall asleep 80% of the time so thanks ambien."

SleepZombie (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 7, 2016

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "I have been a long-haul flight attendant for over 35 years and have used this drug since it's release. I find it EXTREMELY effective, with no side effects for me whatsoever. I will say that, like a lot of sleep aids and sleeping tablets, its' continued use does cause a psychological dependancy and the effectiveness of the drug becomes less and less. Therefore I would recommend not using the drug every night and alternating it with other sleep therapies."

Ozmike (taken for 10 years or more) May 29, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "My psychiatrist prescribed me 5mg of Ambien to help with insomnia. I take it 3-5 nights a week (typically 3) and found it very helpful in the beginning. Now, I can take it and not feel a thing. I have considered asking my psychiatrist for a slightly higher dosage."

Sleepless in the Midwest May 1, 2016

"I've always had issues falling asleep so I started taking this pill a couple months or a year ago. The first month or two it helped me fall asleep and wake up early - simple as that, no problems. After a while I started to build up a tolerance (I guess) and I couldn't really fall asleep when I took it. If I unintentionally stayed up for more than ~3 hours after I took the pill I would start getting weird side effects. Like I felt like I was going crazy. The worst was when I was trying to sleep it felt like 'ghost' hands were touching my body or something...crazy...I know. In addition, I would find my self looking at weird shit on the internet, or thinking strange thoughts. Most of the time I took the pill I would have gaps in my memory."

Not a fan April 28, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have had a great experience with this medicine. I sleep through the night on it, wake up rested and free of any hangover, and it doesn't knock me out like benedryl does. I feel like I get a natural sleep. I've never experienced the night time issues that some have mentioned and have never experienced nightmares or vivid dreams as I have with other medicines."

Wes79 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "Have bad insomnia. Been on Ambien for 10 years now. I decreased my dose to only 3 mg about 5 years ago. All I need is to get to sleep. Anxiety prevents that. So Ambien works great for me. I have never had any bad effects at all with this drug. No after effects. Wake up refreshed. I have had instances where it doesn't work, if I am in a bad anxious state. But usually I take it right before bed. I don't delay at all because it is pretty fast working. Hope and pray there are no long term effects like Alzheimers. So far I have no memory problems. I am 74. I need sleep. It's that simple. Feel awful when I don't sleep. I do try not to take it every night. Go off for days in between. Try and go weeks if I can. So far that's working for me."

hilborn (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2016

"Great"

Pooh225 April 20, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "It works and it's ability hasn't diminished with use or time. I can get to sleep every single time I take this drug and it always only takes 2 pills. That is a lot more than I can say for any sleep drug I've ever taken. The downside is that if I don't go to sleep as soon as I feel it kick in, I will do some very, very strange things that I can only slightly remember if I remember at all."

ihavemigraines (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

"Do NOT drive after taking Zopiclone. You get several second blackouts constantly. Highly hazardious to do anything that could be dangerious after taking. Also I recommend not drinking alcohol at all when taking, heart might punch out of beat, and skips or beats out of rhythm. That is with the tablets and half a bottle of wine. Serious drug, but works for the purpose."

Tobi SWE April 17, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "I took Ambien awhile back for insomnia. Within 20 minutes I was out. Woke up refreshed after 6 - 8 hours. Caution: for me, it was addicting and I could not sleep without it. Also for me, I would not remember activities I may or may not have done the night before. Unplug your phone, you may regret who you call and the conversation you had. I cannot take Ambien for those reasons, but it did work for getting to sleep!"

Knocked Out April 14, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "I've been taking ambien for over 6 years. It helps me sleep and I can sleep 6 hrs and felt like I slept 10 hrs only bad thing is once commit to taking ambien I can't be bothered cuz I won't remember so I usually lock my self down but it is a very helpful drug"

Chucky1508 March 31, 2016

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "Ambien has been hit or miss for me. When it works it's bliss! 2 out of 3 days it doesn't work well. The CR is supposed to help me stay asleep but at best I get 4-6 hours of sleep. It's not the greatest sleep - I fall off and wake up frequently without feeling I've slept, but it's better than staring at the ceiling till dawn. It's expensive!"

muDraconis March 30, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "Wow, I guess I'm in the minority because I found that Ambien was completely worthless for me. I tried 5mg, 10mg, & even 15mg & never could fall asleep. Didn't even feel tired. Seriously, it was like a sugar pill. I don't know why so many people like this stuff...I guess my brain is different from everyone else's...story of my life!"

Chronic Insomniac (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"I slept drove while taking this medication it ended up in a very bad situation."

Dawnsquest (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2016