User Reviews for Zolpidem to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Zolpimist, Edluar

Zolpidem Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 96 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zolpidem

Chronic Insomniac · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2019

"I haven't slept in 6 nights Dr prescribed me 5mg of zolpidem tartrate and still no sleep... I went back to dr today after 2 nights of taking it crying because I am literally exhausted to be told it can take up to 2 weeks to kick in... 1st dr who prescribed it said to take as and when required this dr today said I have to take it every night as can take up to 2 weeks for my body to realise change. I just want sleep and wish they had of prescribed me trusty zopiclone... can anyone assist in how I can help myself fall asleep at night please .. I am at my wits end now"

Steve · Taken for 10 years or more August 13, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have been taking ambien on and off for over ten years to help me sleep. One 10mg tablet works just as well as it did when I first started taking it. When I don't have any I don't go into any types of withdrawals. Puts me to sleep for 9 to 10 hours with no grogginess in the morning. Ambien is a miracle drug for us folks with insomnia."

Nightshift · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2019

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "I am a hard working healthcare nightshift worker, mother with 2 young kids. I have had to flip flop between days and nights for 8 years now to work and take care of kids. I have taken traditional ambien 10mg for a long time. I need something that works fast but wears off fast because my time window to sleep is not that long. Well, I tried ambien CR last night and will not be trying again. I thought it worked the same, just help me stay asleep maybe a little longer, nope! It hits you little by little just enough to make you a tad loopy but not enough to totally knock you out and that effect lasts longer. It is dangerous because I had to even mix my regular one to even be able to fall asleep. I know my limits with the regular ambien. Be very careful with ambien cr."

Gary August 10, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "Great drug for insomnia never failed to put me to sleep but one thing I've learned is take it right before bed otherwise I get complete blackouts because there's been a couple of times I stayed up for half an hour after taking it & not remembered getting into bed, one minute I was on sat on the couch next thing I remember is waking up in bed the next morning. After hearing crazy stories of people sleep driving to the next state I asked my wife if I did anything crazy & she said no I just went to bed. Thank god for that lol"

Suffering · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 4, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "I've read almost 100 opinions + and - . For those that have lack of results or side effects .. you should verify if you are taking the Name Brand Ambien .. the Generic Ambien was absolutely Terrible .. The Brand Name Ambien directly from the Manufacturer was Excellent .. I asked my PCP to Specify Brand Name Ambien and it made me change my opinion to a Positive one overnight. I'm a Stage 4 Congestive Heart Failure Patient .. On CPAP .. a fear of sleep, problems with CPAP Mask, COPD, Pain and Insomnia too .. but I'm alive .. I Have Not Experienced any Side Effects from Name Brand Ambien .. it's been 2 years now .. tried many other meds .. nothing else worked for me .. I take 10mg Ambien as Needed PRN too .. It works for me"

Needs real meds not generic · Taken for 10 years or more August 3, 2019

"I have taken Ambien before.. the real stuff..not generic Zolpidem. Brand name Ambien works like clockwork every time. Generic Zolpidem from Teva pharmaceutical is garbage. Total waste of money and time. It kept me up past midnight after taking it at 8pm. A glass of warm milk works better. How the FDA approved such garbage causes me to wonder... does anyone to QA on this stuff, do they test if there active ingredients in these! Drain the FDA SWAMP!"

sylmax79 · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 25, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "I was on and off ambien for 10yrs. I quit almost a year ago and I'm still experiencing side effects of that drug. Please stay away as much as you can. I thought getting off of it was hard. I was wrong. Life post-ambien is a real struggle. DO NOT TAKE IT FOR MORE THAN IT IS ADVISED, even if your doc says otherwise (like mine did)."

trendy July 24, 2019

"I have not slept more then 6 hrs in 4 days"

Akan · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "I suffered from insomnia for over 15 years, it was awful. There is nothing worse than not being able to fall asleep and toss and turn until morning. Finally, 3 months ago I tried Ambien at 5 mg. It changed my life! Now I have no problems falling asleep and wake up after 8 hrs refreshed. No side effects so far. I am very happy."

WannaSleep July 11, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "Meds work fairly fast but to those like 'Sleepdeprived' says of it not working, here is a suggestion for those whose body isn't fallen asleep fast--Take ambien while in bed and eat a tiny snack after it. Even though directions says on an empty stomach, I have found with certain people that for some reason ambien works faster when snacking after swallowing med. Some feel that this could be due to the fact of eating right behind it that since food goes immediately thru the process of breaking down the food and distributing the nutrients of the food thru your system this makes the ambien break down faster and get thru your system quicker. So for those who are having a hard time of meds not working, try it that way. And for the ones that says they woke up after 2 hrs and couldn't go back to sleep, if you find that is you, it is safe to take another one but no more. In fact you can get a pill cutter and cut it in half and use only 5mg when cut and it will get you back to sleep right away."

Clem July 7, 2019

"Taking 10 mg of generic zolpidem by Teva pharm and I agree it is useless. I also got it from my friendly neighborhood VA facility. Waste of my insurance and copay."

SH · Taken for 10 years or more July 1, 2019

"I get this drug made by TEVA from the Veterans Administration. The TEVA brand seem to be much weaker than Zolpidem Tartrate made by other manufacturers. The Tablets are white, about 3/16" in diameter and 1/16" thick with TEVA on one side and 74 on the other side. IF YOU ARE A VETERAN AND ARE EXPERIENCING WHAT I AM, PLEASE CALL YOUR VA PHARMACY AND TELL THEM THE PROBLEM. HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED "WEAK" ZOLPIDEM TARTRATE PILLS MADE BY TEVA?"

RiKim · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 27, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "It has been a lifesaver for sure!! Have had no side effects from it!"

Michelle · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "I’ve had horrible horrible insomnia for years. I’ve always just laid in bed with my mind racing for hours. It took a big toll on me mentally and physically. I’ve been on ambien for over 2 years and it’s a true lifesaver. I take it every night. If I try to go to sleep without it just to test it, I can’t sleep. No side effects with this medicine. I wake up just fine in the mornings."

Musicman8120 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 21, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "Have been using 2.5mg of extended release Ambien generic for the past year pretty much every night without any apparent negative side effects other than grogginess in the morning that burns off in an hour or so. I take it for insomnia and I am 65 years old. I recently have started on Neurontin for a herniated disk nerve pain and have been taking both meds together about an hour before bed. It allows me to fall asleep and stay asleep. I usually wake to the alarm at 6am to get my wife up for work, but if no alarm I will easily sleep till 11am."

Babbel · Taken for 10 years or more June 9, 2019

"I used zolpidem (generic Ambien) for about 13 years due to insomnia because of chronic pain. It worked very well and my dosage went from 5mg to 10mg over time. However, as I turn 72 my insurance (Medicare) won't cover more than three refills a year. My doctor tried other meds like Trazodone 50mg which gave me the feeling of prickly skin (like Niacin flushing), Temazepan 7.5mg and I also tried over the counter sleep meds. I have had spine fusion surgery which has reduced my pain a lot. But I had also become dependent on zolpidem for sleep. My only answer was to reduce the dosage over a month's time and I finally got to 2.5mg or 1/4 tablet. I can now use the OTC meds but for some reason they cause me to wake up with hip pain in the middle of the night (might be arthritis). Now with a Rx for three months I can cover 360 days."

Kenezy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2019

"I take it and sleep in 20 minutes or so, I have a good night, I don't sleep too much, and in the next day I'm not sleepy, so it works perfectly. The only side effect that I'm struggling with is amnesia, as I am starting to get to a weekend and notice I don't remember my week, and it gets even worse if you consume alcohol or take it and stay awake. With alcohol (even not drinking much) I came to forget that I went to bed and woke up believing I was going to sleep, and forget the whole morning after. And once I took it as I thought I was going to sleep and a friend called me to go out, and I didn't drink a drop but I forgot the whole night and "woke" the other day in the lunch not remembering if I slept or what happened or what I did in the morning. I'm not sure if it's only because of the Zolpidem or because I consumed alcohol at beginning but I felt very dizzy at first, during day."

Sleepdeprived · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "Ambien is AWFUL!! This is my first night on it, I was taking Lunesta. It is 3:47am right now and I am so upset - not only does it not help insomnia it makes it sooo much worse. It did not help me fall asleep, I woke up within the first two hours of taking it and have not gone back to sleep since then. Can’t wait for my alarm to go off!"

Achilles · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "I’ve been using Ambien two to three nights a week for 6 months now (due to split shift at work). Have had no side effects like I’ve heard about. Doesn’t make me groggy when I awake, unlike other sleep medications like Unisom. Puts me asleep within 20 minutes, I stay asleep for 8 hours. Few times I woke up after a 3 hours, but that’s rare. Very helpful if you have a hard time sleeping."

writergirl · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "My oncologist (I'm fighting cancer) prescribed Ambien for me, as I'm going through a period of intense insomnia. I used it for two nights. As I fall asleep but wake up at three or four--unable to get back to sleep--I took it upon waking in the middle of the night. Ambien puts you out--you don't know you're falling asleep, and then you wake up. Three hours later! This is a short-action drug. Waking at 7 or so, I was intensely groggy. As I tried to get up and start my day, I felt odd and not in a good way. My nap later in the day was a drugged sleep. Last evening, I was irritable and felt feverish. I've put the Ambien away. It is far too chemical a drug for me, and my body is already dealing with heavy medications."

JC · Taken for 10 years or more May 13, 2019

"I have been taking Zolpidem 10mg for 10 years and have never had ANY side effects from it, other than a good nights sleep. I have read where some on here are having issues but I take it every night and it has really helped."

Jake · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 11, 2019

"Been taking Zolpidem 10mg on & off for a while. Personally it is effective for insomnia but one thing I've learned is take it right before bed or you may get amnesia. One night I decided to read a chapter of a book after taking one but I don't remember turning the light off or putting the book down ready to sleep, next thing I remember is waking up - Luckily I don't think I did anything else that night but some people have driven miles in a car & not had any recollection until they woke up behind the wheel. So like I say take it right before turning the lights out."

Dorie May 4, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "I tried Ambien for sleep when it first came out. Initially it seemed great. Then I fell down the stairs and broke many ribs. I was lucky. I discovered I was sleep walking but the drug was to new and people hadn’t started to report that yet. I was fortunate that I only broke ribs.! I realized quickly that Ambien wasn’t the medication for me BUT I NEVER BLAMED or held liable the medication. I took it knowing it was fairly new. It was my responsibility not the drug companies. We are responsible for what medication we take."

Seppe · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "Ambien ... this is a very DANGEROUS DRUG! I used this drug for approximately 60 days. I HAD TO STOP IT! I found myself in dangerous locations not knowing where or why I was there. I found myself driving in neighboring cities! Sleeping on sides of roads. The worst part is I probably don't remember most of my own experiences. I believe Ambien should be outlawed! I believe Ambien is a disaster waiting to happen."

Barb · Taken for 10 years or more April 30, 2019

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have taken 2.5 mg. Ambien off and on for 20 years. It has saved me as I have insomnia and cannot sleep more than 3 or 4 hours a night. I take Ambien in the middle of the night and feel rested with no side effects in the morning. I am 81 years old and feel tired if I have only 3 hours sleep. I take Ambien several nights a week so I am not exhausted during the day."

Learn more about Insomnia

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)