User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Doxepin Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Doxepin to treat Depression

"My sister took doxipen and it had a horrible reaction... anxiety, changed her personality, sleeplesness... she told her Doctor so he increased the dose... she hadn't slept in 3 days so she took xanex to sleep... she died that night... 6/26/2016... she was 28 years old."

Sarah Dooly (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

"Took care of my depression, insomnia, and IBS"

Inakldy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016

"Has many years of problems with depression, anxiety , derealization etc. Eventually learned these all related to Complex Multiple Trauma. But that is another story. Doxepin pretty much the ONLY antidepressant that has ever helped me. Totally a life saver over and over for me. It is HIGHLY calming as well as anti-deprssing. That is because simultaneous to increasing serotonin and norepinephrine, is a beta adrenergic blocker (hence anti fear etc) BUT here is the real amazing thing about Doxepin - it is VERY anti- inflammatory. Neuroinflammation (brain inflammation) is a big issue in mental health problems. Doxepin - out if ALL dregs, addresses this best of all. Search pub med. Doxepin has saved my life many times over several decades."

Adriana77 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 9, 2016

"I was given silenor 3 mg at start to help me stay asleep and also to help with my anxiety and very mild depression... The doxepin in this medication is an anti depressant... My first try of it I felt drunk when I woke up at 3 am and I passed right back to sleep... I noticed within a week I felt a bit more happier and my anxiety has lessened... I feel more happier as well... So the doctor is keeping me on them for a while... It has been almost a year taking silenor... There was a slight weight gain over that period of time 10 lbs over the whole 10 months. I didn't take an entire week of the pills a few months back and boy did I notice.... They say non addictive but I felt sad and depressed... Right back where I was before taking them."

Worth a shot (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2016

"My Dr was unbelievably careless and combined this with another dangerous drug. I nearly died as the result and have contemplated dying well over 100,000 times since. Any positive review of this drug should be highly skeptical of. This is a very dangerous drug that the manufacturers should stop making it, the sooner the better!"

Gonzo22 January 14, 2016

Sinequan (doxepin): "It works tremendously well on Insomnia and really does help on maintaining a normalcy in everyday life. Sleeping a lot at first, which in my case was a good thing. It's not the best for uplifting depression and doesn't help in taking away anxiety or panic attacks. The side affects for me was being easily bothered & hostal/angry. Will pass if you continue taking as directed,but each time you stop n then start again the experience starts over. But keep in mind,side affects vary and its different for each of Us. What works for one might not work for another. I've been taking Sinequan/Doxepin for over two decades."

fayfaith (taken for 10 years or more) September 20, 2015

Sinequan (doxepin): "After about a week it helped with anxiety, is prescribed actually to me for insomnia and I'm on 150 mg works well. I have tried about everything else."

kounse46 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

"I have been taking doxepin at 25mg for about a month for depression, chronic pain and anxiety. All was somewhat fine, no side effects. To get the medicine working better, my doctor raised my dose to 50mg about 2wks ago. I am very happy so far."

Anonymous April 28, 2014

"I've been taking Doxepin & Xanax and Zoloft for over 20 years, for depression/anxiety/panic attacks and insomnia. All three medicines work but only one has lasted, Doxepin. The other two I had no choice but to stop taking. I ended up with serious breathing problems. Zoloft several years after taking, subsided and then worse years later and Xanax after about a decade or so. Doxepin has done very well with all my conditions throughout the years with no serious problems. IT WORKS. "

fayfaith (taken for 10 years or more) October 13, 2013

"I've been diagnosed with chronic insomnia and general anxiety for 9 years. I also suffer from depression, but refuse to be medicated directly for it (specifically SSRI's) after dealing with Paxil and the horrible withdrawal I experienced 8 years ago. So recently I was prescribed 30mg Doxepin in addition to my Zolpidem (Ambien) for my insomnia. My insomnia has slightly improved, but more pronounced has been the reduction in both occurrence and severity of my anxiety (within the first week) and depression (after about 3-4 weeks). It's been about 6 weeks since I started the doxepin and haven't noticed any negative side effects besides some dry mouth/eyes, which is far outweighed by the benefits I've received."

Insomniac1985 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2013

"I started taking Doxepin for depression and insomnia. It seems to work good for both. I have not experienced any side effects so far.I had been taking Zoloft for depression and felt like a robot, no feelings at all. I take 2, 10mg at night about an hour before I'm ready to go to sleep. If I don't go to sleep, I take 1 more. So far I'm happy with the medicine as it works for depression and insomnia."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2012

Sinequan (doxepin): "Worked really well. I suffer from chronic insomnia as well and found it worked well on the depression and the insomnia."

mitcore June 5, 2008

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate