Generic Name: Doxepin Capsules (DOKS e pin)
Brand Name: Sinequan
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 5, 2020.
- Drugs like this one have raised the chance of suicidal thoughts or actions in children and young adults. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. All people who take this medicine (doxepin capsules) need to be watched closely. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
- This medicine is not approved for use in children. Talk with the doctor.
Uses of Doxepin Capsules:
- It is used to treat low mood (depression).
- It is used to treat anxiety.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Doxepin Capsules?
- If you have an allergy to doxepin or any other part of this medicine (doxepin capsules).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (doxepin capsules); any part of this medicine (doxepin capsules); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Trouble passing urine or glaucoma.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Linezolid or methylene blue.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson's disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (doxepin capsules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (doxepin capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Doxepin Capsules?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (doxepin capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine (doxepin capsules).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Some people may have a higher chance of eye problems with this medicine (doxepin capsules). Your doctor may want you to have an eye exam to see if you have a higher chance of these eye problems. Call your doctor right away if you have eye pain, change in eyesight, or swelling or redness in or around the eye.
- This medicine may make you sunburn more easily. Use care if you will be in the sun. Tell your doctor if you sunburn easily while taking this drug.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Tell your doctor if you have signs of high or low blood sugar like breath that smells like fruit, dizziness, fast breathing, fast heartbeat, feeling confused, feeling sleepy, feeling weak, flushing, headache, more thirsty or hungry, passing urine more often, shaking, or sweating.
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine (doxepin capsules) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how this medicine (doxepin capsules) affects you.
- It may take several weeks to see the full effects.
- Do not stop taking this medicine (doxepin capsules) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of side effects. If you need to stop this medicine (doxepin capsules), you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
How is this medicine (Doxepin Capsules) best taken?
Use this medicine (doxepin capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take at bedtime if you are taking once a day.
- Keep taking this medicine (doxepin capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high or low blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Very nervous and excitable.
- Fever, chills, or sore throat; any unexplained bruising or bleeding; or feeling very tired or weak.
- Yellow skin or eyes.
- Ringing in ears.
- Change in sex interest.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Nipple discharge.
- Swelling of the testicles.
- If you have asthma, use this medicine (doxepin capsules) with care. Worsening of asthma has happened in people using this medicine (doxepin capsules). Call your doctor right away if your asthma gets worse while you use this medicine (doxepin capsules).
What are some other side effects of Doxepin Capsules?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling dizzy, sleepy, tired, or weak.
- Constipation, diarrhea, stomach pain, upset stomach, throwing up, or feeling less hungry.
- Dry mouth.
- Change in taste.
- Mouth irritation or mouth sores.
- Weight gain.
- Sweating a lot.
- Hair loss.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Doxepin Capsules?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time this medicine (doxepin capsules) is refilled. If you have any questions about this medicine (doxepin capsules), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about doxepin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 351 Reviews
- Drug class: miscellaneous anxiolytics, sedatives and hypnotics
- FDA Alerts (1)
- Doxepin capsules, oral concentrate
- Doxepin Tablets
- Doxepin Oral Concentrate
- Doxepin (Advanced Reading)