User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Doxepin Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Doxepin to treat Insomnia

Silenor (doxepin): "I have been on Silenor since shortly after it hit the market....2011. It has been life changing. I can nap now, and some nights I can even sleep without it, which never happened on any other sleep meds. I will say it took about 4 weeks when I initially started it for it to really do the job-those were a rough for weeks. I also have very good commercial insurance that only requires a $5.00 co pay for a 3 month supply; my old plan used to require $100 for a 39 day supply. Since it is not cost prohibitive, it works well."

Brownchic (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2017

"I take it to help me stay asleep at night. It's done well. I just started it 4 days ago. Last night I was eating and almost choked cause I couldn't swallow. Has anyone else had any problems swallowing?"

Emily34 December 16, 2016

"I have seen many say their insurance will not cover the 3mg dose. Ask your doctor to prescribe 10mg capsule. It is prob. covered and will still work. 10 mg is still very small dose."

DavidSPumpkins December 8, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "I have had depression, anxiety and insomnia issues for decades, and have tried many approaches for these issues, including psychological, sleep study, endocrine, chiropractic, acupuncture, herbal formulas, homeopathics, aromatherapy, exercise, meditation, diet, and too many depression and insomnia medications to count. While I have had some success, especially with more natural approaches, I found this past several years that NOTHING helped, or it didn't help for long. My doctor recently gave me some Silenor samples to try, and I was absolutely blown away by their efficacy. I took the lower dose of 3mg 30 minutes before bedtime and slept great all the way through the night, 8-9 hours! No side effects, either. I wish I could afford them!"

Carol Koe December 2, 2016

"Ok....OMG!! Sooo..let me just say look at all the insomniacs ( true diagnosed people by psyc docs)that have had great experience with this..benzos are terrible for you ...but doxepin has yet to wake me up ...has yet to not work..and has yet give me Dreams or night terrors...now if ur like me and you can go 3 days with zero sleep ...while trying trazadone and even seraquil.. You know restlessness and complete misery..once on doxipen I slept great...didn't get up groggy (8 hour sleep ideal per 25 mg tablet) and it even combats IBS and my case crohnes"

Stephbeezy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "This prescription had the opposite effect. It did not help me sleep at all, but made me want to climb the walls. Wasted $44. After insurance payment"

Anonymous November 19, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "I have had severe insomnia for about 3 years. My physician gave me 2 sample packs of 6mg Silenor. I cut them in half to take 3mg as needed. They worked wonderfully and I finally got several good nights of sleep without the groggy feeling in the morning. After the samples were gone, I got my Rx filled and found out my insurance will not cover it. After having been awake for 36 hours straight, out of desperation, I paid an arm and a leg for the Silenor. The first tablet of the Rx worked but that's it. I Increased to taking 6 mg and it still didn't work. Still no sleep. I have given up on Silenor and have gone back to a different insomnia Rx that works sometimes but at least my insurance covers it it only costs me $5."

Robin Magee November 15, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "I have been on Silenor for 6 months now. I have a ton of medications that I take for my Bipolar Type IIA with a Panic Disorder. They help, but my mind would never stop so that I could sleep well. I take Silenor with a couple of medications (which I will not list) at night and sleep fine. No side effects noticed, but I take so many medications during the day that I might not notice it. I have been dealing with my illness for about 20 years now, so side effects are not a huge deal to me because most go away after 30 days. Now, if they are too severe, then I will consult my Doctor. You have to give these types of medications a chance. It's not like taking a Tylenol for a headache."

NopeNotGonna November 9, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "I was given a sample pack 3mg Silenor to help with my inability to stay asleep. I followed the instructions and unfortunately it did not seem to work for me. It made me very anxious and agitated during the night. I did sleep but kept waking up. In the morning I was very groggy and unsteady on my feet. I felt like I had been drugged and had a minor headache all day. I do not think I will take it again as it is obviously not the drug for me."

jbg154 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Great product. I never had a problem falling asleep before, I can and always could fall asleep in 2 or 3 minutes. My problem was during the night when I would wake up at 2am and be up for the day. With Silenor I still wake up on occasion but I go right back to sleep. I have been taking it for months now, still works great. Not groggy the next day. If your problem is getting to sleep this might not be right for you. If your problem is staying asleep or falling back to sleep after waking up during the night then Silenor will be a big help."

jimig October 30, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Difficulty sleeping through nite I did sleep first night but then most of next day on silenor. 2nd night tossed and turned but slept for about 4 hours. Felt drugged the next day. Took 3rd night slept off and on. Felt horrible next day, tired, weak feeling, headache. Also leaves mouth extremely dry. Not going to take silenor any more."

MS407 October 29, 2016

"I was given Doxepin 50mg to help me sleep. It knocked me out - This is the zombie apocalypse of sleep meds. It worked very well, but kept working all the next day. I slept about 17 hours and felt extremely groggy when I got up. I wouldn't recommend it if you just have trouble falling to sleep. I need something milder so i can function the next day."

Chazzd (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

"I was put on Doxepin 10mg, for wake up middle of night insomnia. Every time I've taken it( about 5), I'm knocked out and sleep heavy for about 9 hrs. Then I'm very groggy the next day and sleep off and on. The feeling rested and like I actually slept is great. But, it's almost too good. I'm going to ask my dr. To reduce to like 3mg."

Mikey the best October 9, 2016

"I've had sleep issues for years and after having multiple sleep studies done as well as nasal surgery to fix deviated septum, I tried a dental sleep appliance and a c-pap machine and nothing worked. I was finally given Doxepin - OMG LIFESAVER...6 drops per night and I am out like a light wake up around 5 hours later but refreshed and not tired. However, if I go off routine, as in different time-zones, late nights, it does take a while to get back on track...I'd be in a mental health institution if I hadn't found this as I was at the end of the rope and couldn't cope anymore being constantly exhausted."

ValC623 October 3, 2016

"at first my doc prescribed an amount which was too much (don't remember the dose) so he changed it to 10 mg. worked at first. i don't take it every night because i don't want to build a resistance. tonight i took 6 (60 mgs). that was 3 hours ago and i'm still awake. took xanax a little while ago. benzos don't work for me. took 30 mg of valium one night and was up at 2am cleaning cabinets. even my pharmacist was shocked when i told him."

very young widow October 1, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "I have had chronic insomnia for 5 years. I struggle to fall asleep, and once I'm asleep, I never sleep longer than 45 minutes - 1 hour without waking up. I take Ambien when I can afford it, so I have to limit myself to only a few times a week. I was given a sample pack of Silenor about a year ago, but the online reviews made me not want to try it. I was desperate last night, so I tried one 3mg. My heart raced and it did not make me sleepy. I took another half 3mg. and finally dozed off about an hour later. The amazing thing is that even though I never felt sleepy from it like I do with Ambien, I actually slept for 3 straight hours on the Silenor. I do have a tiny headache today, so I don't know if I will take it again."

Daisybuttercup (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "I have trouble sleeping from 3 - 6 am. I wake up and cannot go back to sleep creating the daytime symptoms of insomnia (see: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/insomnia/basics/definition/CON-20024293 ). I rarely have trouble falling asleep. I have been taking LIQUID doxepin for 18+ months (along with a 5 mg time release melatonin) - 30 min before bedtime. The LIQUID has to be especially prescribed by your Dr and approved by your drug company. A 120 ml bottle is $79 - with medicare & drug co approval, my out of pocket (last bought in 6/2016) was $7! Much cheaper than Silenor. I am prescribed 0.6ml/night, but sometimes I take 0.5ml or less, & never over 0.7ml (rarely). Doxepin & melatonin work well to help me sleep from 10p-6a!"

asissman (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2016

"Started on doxepin 25 mg unlike everyone else I can't sleep keeps me awake and now I have itching from the med will this go away already have hives don't need more itching couldn't sleep now I really cant"

Anonymous September 11, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Silenor literally saved my life ! Before a month ago, I never had sleeping issues, but after recently moving in with my boyfriend in an apartment with neighbour's dogs that kept me up all night, there was a 2 week period where I literally didn't sleep at all. I was starting to feel extremely anxious, depressed, and as if I was losing all control of my life. Silenor is non-addictive, which made me feel more comfortable about taking it. I still woke up in the night some nights, but it put me to sleep no problem. It allowed me to get back on track with my sleep and daily routines."

Insomnia01 September 4, 2016

"Prescribed for nightmares and night terrors due to PTSD. trazadone gave me a horrible body buzz and made me feel like I wasn't in control of my faculties. Worse off, it didn't stop the nightmares, just made it harder to wake from them. Doxepin was prescribed at 25 mg capsule, increasing to 75mg over a period of a month. Stopped the nightmares and night terrors instantly, with no body buzz. In fact, I don't dream at all anymore, and I'm okay with that. Miracle drug. I was becoming desperate and fought sleep as long as I could so I didn't have nightmares. This saved my sanity."

SarahhLee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2016

"Doxepin is the fourth medication that I have been prescribed for my insomnia. Prior to Doxepin, I had taken melatonin (as many insomniacs begin with), Trazodone, and Seroquel. I do not remember any noteworthy effects from the first two, but I was amazed with Seroquel. It worked like a charm once I fell asleep. However, it often took me far too long to fall asleep and I felt extremely groggy, sometimes for hours, when I woke up. Still, I was very satisfied, having finally found something that brought me some much needed rest. When I switched doctor's, though, I was switched to Doxepin. I have only taken it for a short time, but I cannot praise it highly enough. It takes effect far more quickly and has less grogginess than Seroquel (for me)."

Lumberjack_Jay (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2016

"I have tried at least 15 other pills that all come with the groggy feeling if taken too late at night and too high of a dose. While 10mg is too much for me it works and works too well and keeps me asleep all night and i actually feel rested. I had to write this review after seeing so many low ratings."

hector98632 August 29, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "My Doctor tried me on 3mg first. Didn't do much at all. 6MG seems to be working much better."

Moose jaw August 13, 2016

"My doctor started me on 3 mg... am now trying 4 1/2 mg as 3 did nothing but am stunned at the enormous doses other reviewers are taking. Did they build up to those doses or start with them ?"

Sleepless in Vancouver (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2016

"I was placed on Silenor for insomnia. Started at 3mg and now am at 6mg - no difference and I still can't sleep. Many nights go without and I am tired of being tired"

Mother Theresa August 5, 2016