User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Doxepin Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Doxepin to treat Insomnia

Silenor (doxepin): "My Doctor tried me on 3mg first. Didn't do much at all. 6MG seems to be working much better."

Moose jaw August 13, 2016

"My doctor started me on 3 mg... am now trying 4 1/2 mg as 3 did nothing but am stunned at the enormous doses other reviewers are taking. Did they build up to those doses or start with them ?"

Sleepless in Vancouver (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2016

"I was placed on Silenor for insomnia. Started at 3mg and now am at 6mg - no difference and I still can't sleep. Many nights go without and I am tired of being tired"

Mother Theresa August 5, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Was taken off ambien and put on silenor. Three times the cost and does not help in the least."

cheryl b (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2016

"Horrible drug. Felt like a zombie for about 14 hours after taking 1/2 a 25mg capsule. Never again."

George Hatfield (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

"My doc prescribed 40 mg at bedtime to shift my sleep cycle. History of acute anxiety attacks w/ tachycardia, and essential tremor. First dose I felt agitated, anxious, and my heart rate went up to 160. It did not help me fall asleep any earlier, next day blurred vision and 'migraine aura'. Things went downhill from there. My doctor said to continue it for at least 4 weeks and the side effects would go away. They did not - things continued to worsen. The tremor increased to where I could not use the computer, headaches got worse, anxiety increased, I became irritable and angry, and my blood sugar went through the roof. After 5 weeks I threw it away - blood sugar still high and tremor still worse after quitting a month ago."

MountainGeek (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Doctor recommended I try this after failed medication after failed medication.. So far, it has helped my insomnia drastically!"

George Shilly July 7, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "I took this to help with my insomnia. I work different hours at the hospital and I haven't been able to overcome the Insomnia on my days off. Silenor has helped me so far, I hope that it stays that way."

Joseph_Smith June 30, 2016

"I've been taking 100mg @ night for insomnia/anxiety for approximately 1 1/2 years! I love it! I take it about 30-45 minutes before bed and BAM I'm out! The only side effects I've noticed is talking in my sleep (nothing major though)!! I would highly recommend this medication for insomnia."

berrylove (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Made me extremely agitated and nervous during the night, very disappointed and actually scared after taking it. Very expensive as well."

notsleep (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "First night I tried a half. Fell asleep but woke up and was wide awake through the rest of the night. 2 nd night took a full pill feel heart pounding numb fingers can't fall asleep now wide awake. Worse then first night."

Shan no sleep June 23, 2016

"Have taken this medication for 10 nights. Nothing has improved whatsoever. I take as directed 2 hours before bedtime. It has not been the answer to a sleepless night I had hoped for. Still waking up after an hour or hour and half,and keep waking throughout the remainder of the night."

tired beyond description June 19, 2016

"Tried 10 mg 3 nights in a row. Stayed awake literally all night. Not helpful for sleep."

Turtle Bear (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2016

"I took this medicine at 11 p.m., asleep a little after midnight, and woke at 3:20 a.m.. I have been awake since then, it is now 4:18, and I still cannot fall back asleep! The first night I took it, it did the something plus a side of anxiety attacks. Thought I'd give it a try again, but nope, no more of this! Smh!"

Sleepless in Az (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2016

"I have severe sleep problems and now take 50mg of doxepin nightly. I fall asleep and stay asleep. I have tried numerous other meds and most either don't work or work for only a short period of time, this has not been a problem with doxepin."

BSFMI (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2016

"Low dose doxepin did not help at all with my insomnia. I tried doses from 5mg to 20mg and it never helped with either falling asleep or staying asleep. Side effects: very dry mouth, sore throat, headache. On the plus side it's very inexpensive and I was able to discontinue it without any withdrawal effects."

StillSleepless (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2016

"Tried this pill last night. Did sleep pretty well but very hungover in the morning. It is just not worth it. Can't function normally today. I was taking Ativan which was great but the doctor will not prescribe it any more. Can't believe that one little pill can make me feel so awful. I will never take it again!!"

Judeler May 10, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "I tried the 3 mg dose last night. I slept worse than when I take nothing. I felt so agitated and miserable. Tossed and turned all night. Will not take it again!"

Needshuteye (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Been using it for about 5 months and it has been a miracle worker until recently. A few weeks ago started having random sleepless nights. This week has been terrible waking up after 3-4 hours and feeling wide awake. Not sure if my body is getting used to it but I thought I'd check the reviews to see if anyone else has had the same problem. I hope this is a fluke because Silenor really had changed my life and even though it was expensive it was worth being able to function the next day."

PHick April 21, 2016

"Too strong for me; slept for 10+ hours and felt groggy for most of the next day when I took it. Is worth a try if you suffer from severe insomnia- because in that regard, it did work."

Kbird91 April 20, 2016

"Have been taking doxepin 10mg for sleep for at least 10 years. When I found this, I felt like I might actually manage life. Have problems staying asleep since onset of menopause and doxepin really helps. Since I am overweight my doctor will only prescribe for me to take every other night as he believes it causes weight gain. We disagree on this subject."

mskrazy April 17, 2016

"Oh dear. I thought I would give Doxepin a try just to compare it to my usual low dose of Amitriptyline and see if I slept any better. I lasted on this (25mg) just one night, and with less than an hour of sleep. It felt more like a stimulant for me and at one stage I thought I might be experiencing a nasty frightening panic attack. I don't know what is was but it didn't agree with me. I find low dose Elavil very sedating next to Doxepin (and more sedating than Mirtazapine). I have never tried Trazodone. Best of luck. :)"

In Shock In Australia (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

"Wonderful good sleep...."

f2ffhjh cb no outcast Program (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

"Doxepin for sleep?. My new psychiatrist has prescribed this drug . New because my previous doctor passed away. That man was a God send for years and years to me. I don't sleep but 4 or 5 hours a night. Broken up 2 hours at a time. But doxepin? Seriously? Is this some kind of cruel joke? Can anyone hear me? I CAN NOT SLEEP!!! HERE I AM RIGHT NOW 2:12AM. Perhaps next he will add melatonin, a warm glass of milk and journaling before bed....lol. Maybe Yoga, chanting and acupuncture. I give up. It has been 47 days now on this drug. My last night of this ridiculousness."

Sleepless in St Louis March 18, 2016

"I take about 10 milligrams of Doxaprin about four nights a week. I've been doing this for about 8 months now .I don't have trouble falling asleep I have trouble staying asleep and Doxaprin keeps me asleep. I now sleep like a baby on this 4 nights. I don't really build a tolerance up to it like I did with xanax. I find virtually no side effects other than I don't want to get out of bed in the morning but a cup of coffee solves that. Unless there is some long term side effects I don't know about I can't say anything negative about this substance good luck."

Boddie66 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2016