User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Doxepin Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Doxepin to treat Insomnia

Silenor (doxepin): "I take oxazepam 30mg as well as bystolic for tachycardia but it also helps put you to sleep. I still had issues going to sleep. I couldn't sleep and my doctor added 6mg of silenor to my routine. Last night I took it, and it says to stay in bed for 30 minutes, well I did not listen, I got up to go to the entertainment room because I thought I was still awake enough to watch some tv, next thing I knew, I had fallen asleep sitting up and it was 7am. It works so well, tonight, I will definitely stay in bed the full 30 minutes to let it kick in. As for the kink in my neck, I'm going to get a chiropractic adjustment later."

Kt.shawzie (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this medication because I could not sleep, the first time I took it I slept a over 6 hours and felt wonderful. The problem I am having now is that when I take this I sleep very well but I am a single mom with 3 children and one of them has cancer, I was prescribed this after he was diagnosed. I can't sleep due to the things going on in my life and I don't want to take the medication because I need to wake up if my child needs me during the night. Does anyone know something I can do to sleep but still wake up when I'm needed?"

Cancer mom March 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin): "Silenor works very well keeping me asleep longer than usual. I normally wake up 3-4 times a night without it. But I have extreme dizziness and headaches the next day. I think I'll go back on my Lunesta because I have trouble functioning the day after Silenor. It is a great medicine but I'm not sure if it's for me."

Dizzylady1012 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had suffered an unspeakable event a few months agoIf you think of your worst thought, this was worse. I've never been depressed or on any psyc meds in my life. I went about 6 weeks sleeping, perhaps 2 hours per night. I awakened with nightmares of the event. I tried Ambien, which made me fall asleep, but I'd only get 3 hours of sleep on a good night, usually less, awakened by nightmares. The doc gIve me Doxepin 100mg capsules. I slept 16 hours straight! I now take 100mg about 30 minutes before bed and sleep 6-8 hours and most importantly, I don't have nightmares. I don't remember any dreams and I don't have the "Hangover" Ambien gave me. This drug has been a miracle for me literally"

Timaaay March 6, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I retired over 3 yrs. ago and almost immediately my schedule began to change, ending up in a situation in which I couldn't fall asleep sometimes until as late 5 or 6 am, and not get up until around noon! Yesterday my lung doc, who also does sleep studies, suggested doxepin. I had already had a bad experience with it many years ago - 10 mg. It put me to sleep alright, but I felt like a frigging zombie the next day .He told me that was too strong a dose and recommended half of that. He also told me that most insurance companies won't pay for it in any dose except the generic 10 mg. capsule. Not the 3mg. tablet or the liquid. So, I half the caps nightly in water. Slept fine;no hangover. Retired 11:30 & up @ 8.Hope tonight's same. Dose is key!"

JB1950 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin): "I have been on Silenor since shortly after it hit the market....2011. It has been life changing. I can nap now, and some nights I can even sleep without it, which never happened on any other sleep meds. I will say it took about 4 weeks when I initially started it for it to really do the job-those were a rough for weeks. I also have very good commercial insurance that only requires a $5.00 co pay for a 3 month supply; my old plan used to require $100 for a 39 day supply. Since it is not cost prohibitive, it works well."

Brownchic (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take it to help me stay asleep at night. It's done well. I just started it 4 days ago. Last night I was eating and almost choked cause I couldn't swallow. Has anyone else had any problems swallowing?"

Emily34 December 16, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have seen many say their insurance will not cover the 3mg dose. Ask your doctor to prescribe 10mg capsule. It is prob. covered and will still work. 10 mg is still very small dose."

DavidSPumpkins December 8, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin): "I have had depression, anxiety and insomnia issues for decades, and have tried many approaches for these issues, including psychological, sleep study, endocrine, chiropractic, acupuncture, herbal formulas, homeopathics, aromatherapy, exercise, meditation, diet, and too many depression and insomnia medications to count. While I have had some success, especially with more natural approaches, I found this past several years that NOTHING helped, or it didn't help for long. My doctor recently gave me some Silenor samples to try, and I was absolutely blown away by their efficacy. I took the lower dose of 3mg 30 minutes before bedtime and slept great all the way through the night, 8-9 hours! No side effects, either. I wish I could afford them!"

Carol Koe December 2, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Ok....OMG!! Sooo..let me just say look at all the insomniacs ( true diagnosed people by psyc docs)that have had great experience with this..benzos are terrible for you ...but doxepin has yet to wake me up ...has yet to not work..and has yet give me Dreams or night terrors...now if ur like me and you can go 3 days with zero sleep ...while trying trazadone and even seraquil.. You know restlessness and complete misery..once on doxipen I slept great...didn't get up groggy (8 hour sleep ideal per 25 mg tablet) and it even combats IBS and my case crohnes"

Stephbeezy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin): "This prescription had the opposite effect. It did not help me sleep at all, but made me want to climb the walls. Wasted $44. After insurance payment"

Anonymous November 19, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin): "I have had severe insomnia for about 3 years. My physician gave me 2 sample packs of 6mg Silenor. I cut them in half to take 3mg as needed. They worked wonderfully and I finally got several good nights of sleep without the groggy feeling in the morning. After the samples were gone, I got my Rx filled and found out my insurance will not cover it. After having been awake for 36 hours straight, out of desperation, I paid an arm and a leg for the Silenor. The first tablet of the Rx worked but that's it. I Increased to taking 6 mg and it still didn't work. Still no sleep. I have given up on Silenor and have gone back to a different insomnia Rx that works sometimes but at least my insurance covers it it only costs me $5."

Robin Magee November 15, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin): "I have been on Silenor for 6 months now. I have a ton of medications that I take for my Bipolar Type IIA with a Panic Disorder. They help, but my mind would never stop so that I could sleep well. I take Silenor with a couple of medications (which I will not list) at night and sleep fine. No side effects noticed, but I take so many medications during the day that I might not notice it. I have been dealing with my illness for about 20 years now, so side effects are not a huge deal to me because most go away after 30 days. Now, if they are too severe, then I will consult my Doctor. You have to give these types of medications a chance. It's not like taking a Tylenol for a headache."

NopeNotGonna November 9, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin): "I was given a sample pack 3mg Silenor to help with my inability to stay asleep. I followed the instructions and unfortunately it did not seem to work for me. It made me very anxious and agitated during the night. I did sleep but kept waking up. In the morning I was very groggy and unsteady on my feet. I felt like I had been drugged and had a minor headache all day. I do not think I will take it again as it is obviously not the drug for me."

jbg154 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin): "Great product. I never had a problem falling asleep before, I can and always could fall asleep in 2 or 3 minutes. My problem was during the night when I would wake up at 2am and be up for the day. With Silenor I still wake up on occasion but I go right back to sleep. I have been taking it for months now, still works great. Not groggy the next day. If your problem is getting to sleep this might not be right for you. If your problem is staying asleep or falling back to sleep after waking up during the night then Silenor will be a big help."

jimig October 30, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin): "Difficulty sleeping through nite I did sleep first night but then most of next day on silenor. 2nd night tossed and turned but slept for about 4 hours. Felt drugged the next day. Took 3rd night slept off and on. Felt horrible next day, tired, weak feeling, headache. Also leaves mouth extremely dry. Not going to take silenor any more."

MS407 October 29, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given Doxepin 50mg to help me sleep. It knocked me out - This is the zombie apocalypse of sleep meds. It worked very well, but kept working all the next day. I slept about 17 hours and felt extremely groggy when I got up. I wouldn't recommend it if you just have trouble falling to sleep. I need something milder so i can function the next day."

Chazzd (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on Doxepin 10mg, for wake up middle of night insomnia. Every time I've taken it( about 5), I'm knocked out and sleep heavy for about 9 hrs. Then I'm very groggy the next day and sleep off and on. The feeling rested and like I actually slept is great. But, it's almost too good. I'm going to ask my dr. To reduce to like 3mg."

Mikey the best October 9, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had sleep issues for years and after having multiple sleep studies done as well as nasal surgery to fix deviated septum, I tried a dental sleep appliance and a c-pap machine and nothing worked. I was finally given Doxepin - OMG LIFESAVER...6 drops per night and I am out like a light wake up around 5 hours later but refreshed and not tired. However, if I go off routine, as in different time-zones, late nights, it does take a while to get back on track...I'd be in a mental health institution if I hadn't found this as I was at the end of the rope and couldn't cope anymore being constantly exhausted."

ValC623 October 3, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"at first my doc prescribed an amount which was too much (don't remember the dose) so he changed it to 10 mg. worked at first. i don't take it every night because i don't want to build a resistance. tonight i took 6 (60 mgs). that was 3 hours ago and i'm still awake. took xanax a little while ago. benzos don't work for me. took 30 mg of valium one night and was up at 2am cleaning cabinets. even my pharmacist was shocked when i told him."

very young widow October 1, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin): "I have had chronic insomnia for 5 years. I struggle to fall asleep, and once I'm asleep, I never sleep longer than 45 minutes - 1 hour without waking up. I take Ambien when I can afford it, so I have to limit myself to only a few times a week. I was given a sample pack of Silenor about a year ago, but the online reviews made me not want to try it. I was desperate last night, so I tried one 3mg. My heart raced and it did not make me sleepy. I took another half 3mg. and finally dozed off about an hour later. The amazing thing is that even though I never felt sleepy from it like I do with Ambien, I actually slept for 3 straight hours on the Silenor. I do have a tiny headache today, so I don't know if I will take it again."

Daisybuttercup (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin): "I have trouble sleeping from 3 - 6 am. I wake up and cannot go back to sleep creating the daytime symptoms of insomnia (see: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/insomnia/basics/definition/CON-20024293 ). I rarely have trouble falling asleep. I have been taking LIQUID doxepin for 18+ months (along with a 5 mg time release melatonin) - 30 min before bedtime. The LIQUID has to be especially prescribed by your Dr and approved by your drug company. A 120 ml bottle is $79 - with medicare & drug co approval, my out of pocket (last bought in 6/2016) was $7! Much cheaper than Silenor. I am prescribed 0.6ml/night, but sometimes I take 0.5ml or less, & never over 0.7ml (rarely). Doxepin & melatonin work well to help me sleep from 10p-6a!"

asissman (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started on doxepin 25 mg unlike everyone else I can't sleep keeps me awake and now I have itching from the med will this go away already have hives don't need more itching couldn't sleep now I really cant"

Anonymous September 11, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Silenor (doxepin): "Silenor literally saved my life ! Before a month ago, I never had sleeping issues, but after recently moving in with my boyfriend in an apartment with neighbour's dogs that kept me up all night, there was a 2 week period where I literally didn't sleep at all. I was starting to feel extremely anxious, depressed, and as if I was losing all control of my life. Silenor is non-addictive, which made me feel more comfortable about taking it. I still woke up in the night some nights, but it put me to sleep no problem. It allowed me to get back on track with my sleep and daily routines."

Insomnia01 September 4, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prescribed for nightmares and night terrors due to PTSD. trazadone gave me a horrible body buzz and made me feel like I wasn't in control of my faculties. Worse off, it didn't stop the nightmares, just made it harder to wake from them. Doxepin was prescribed at 25 mg capsule, increasing to 75mg over a period of a month. Stopped the nightmares and night terrors instantly, with no body buzz. In fact, I don't dream at all anymore, and I'm okay with that. Miracle drug. I was becoming desperate and fought sleep as long as I could so I didn't have nightmares. This saved my sanity."

SarahhLee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2016