User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Doxepin Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Doxepin to treat Insomnia

Silenor (doxepin): "I have trouble sleeping from 3 - 6 am. I wake up and cannot go back to sleep creating the daytime symptoms of insomnia (see: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/insomnia/basics/definition/CON-20024293 ). I rarely have trouble falling asleep. I have been taking LIQUID doxepin for 18+ months (along with a 5 mg time release melatonin) - 30 min before bedtime. The LIQUID has to be especially prescribed by your Dr and approved by your drug company. A 120 ml bottle is $79 - with medicare & drug co approval, my out of pocket (last bought in 6/2016) was $7! Much cheaper than Silenor. I am prescribed 0.6ml/night, but sometimes I take 0.5ml or less, & never over 0.7ml (rarely). Doxepin & melatonin work well to help me sleep from 10p-6a!"

asissman (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2016

"Started on doxepin 25 mg unlike everyone else I can't sleep keeps me awake and now I have itching from the med will this go away already have hives don't need more itching couldn't sleep now I really cant"

Anonymous September 11, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Silenor literally saved my life ! Before a month ago, I never had sleeping issues, but after recently moving in with my boyfriend in an apartment with neighbour's dogs that kept me up all night, there was a 2 week period where I literally didn't sleep at all. I was starting to feel extremely anxious, depressed, and as if I was losing all control of my life. Silenor is non-addictive, which made me feel more comfortable about taking it. I still woke up in the night some nights, but it put me to sleep no problem. It allowed me to get back on track with my sleep and daily routines."

Insomnia01 September 4, 2016

"Prescribed for nightmares and night terrors due to PTSD. trazadone gave me a horrible body buzz and made me feel like I wasn't in control of my faculties. Worse off, it didn't stop the nightmares, just made it harder to wake from them. Doxepin was prescribed at 25 mg capsule, increasing to 75mg over a period of a month. Stopped the nightmares and night terrors instantly, with no body buzz. In fact, I don't dream at all anymore, and I'm okay with that. Miracle drug. I was becoming desperate and fought sleep as long as I could so I didn't have nightmares. This saved my sanity."

SarahhLee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2016

"Doxepin is the fourth medication that I have been prescribed for my insomnia. Prior to Doxepin, I had taken melatonin (as many insomniacs begin with), Trazodone, and Seroquel. I do not remember any noteworthy effects from the first two, but I was amazed with Seroquel. It worked like a charm once I fell asleep. However, it often took me far too long to fall asleep and I felt extremely groggy, sometimes for hours, when I woke up. Still, I was very satisfied, having finally found something that brought me some much needed rest. When I switched doctor's, though, I was switched to Doxepin. I have only taken it for a short time, but I cannot praise it highly enough. It takes effect far more quickly and has less grogginess than Seroquel (for me)."

Lumberjack_Jay (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2016

"I have tried at least 15 other pills that all come with the groggy feeling if taken too late at night and too high of a dose. While 10mg is too much for me it works and works too well and keeps me asleep all night and i actually feel rested. I had to write this review after seeing so many low ratings."

hector98632 August 29, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "My Doctor tried me on 3mg first. Didn't do much at all. 6MG seems to be working much better."

Moose jaw August 13, 2016

"My doctor started me on 3 mg... am now trying 4 1/2 mg as 3 did nothing but am stunned at the enormous doses other reviewers are taking. Did they build up to those doses or start with them ?"

Sleepless in Vancouver (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2016

"I was placed on Silenor for insomnia. Started at 3mg and now am at 6mg - no difference and I still can't sleep. Many nights go without and I am tired of being tired"

Mother Theresa August 5, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Was taken off ambien and put on silenor. Three times the cost and does not help in the least."

cheryl b (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2016

"Horrible drug. Felt like a zombie for about 14 hours after taking 1/2 a 25mg capsule. Never again."

George Hatfield (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

"My doc prescribed 40 mg at bedtime to shift my sleep cycle. History of acute anxiety attacks w/ tachycardia, and essential tremor. First dose I felt agitated, anxious, and my heart rate went up to 160. It did not help me fall asleep any earlier, next day blurred vision and 'migraine aura'. Things went downhill from there. My doctor said to continue it for at least 4 weeks and the side effects would go away. They did not - things continued to worsen. The tremor increased to where I could not use the computer, headaches got worse, anxiety increased, I became irritable and angry, and my blood sugar went through the roof. After 5 weeks I threw it away - blood sugar still high and tremor still worse after quitting a month ago."

MountainGeek (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Doctor recommended I try this after failed medication after failed medication.. So far, it has helped my insomnia drastically!"

George Shilly July 7, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "I took this to help with my insomnia. I work different hours at the hospital and I haven't been able to overcome the Insomnia on my days off. Silenor has helped me so far, I hope that it stays that way."

Joseph_Smith June 30, 2016

"I've been taking 100mg @ night for insomnia/anxiety for approximately 1 1/2 years! I love it! I take it about 30-45 minutes before bed and BAM I'm out! The only side effects I've noticed is talking in my sleep (nothing major though)!! I would highly recommend this medication for insomnia."

berrylove (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Made me extremely agitated and nervous during the night, very disappointed and actually scared after taking it. Very expensive as well."

notsleep (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "First night I tried a half. Fell asleep but woke up and was wide awake through the rest of the night. 2 nd night took a full pill feel heart pounding numb fingers can't fall asleep now wide awake. Worse then first night."

Shan no sleep June 23, 2016

"Have taken this medication for 10 nights. Nothing has improved whatsoever. I take as directed 2 hours before bedtime. It has not been the answer to a sleepless night I had hoped for. Still waking up after an hour or hour and half,and keep waking throughout the remainder of the night."

tired beyond description June 19, 2016

"Tried 10 mg 3 nights in a row. Stayed awake literally all night. Not helpful for sleep."

Turtle Bear (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2016

"I took this medicine at 11 p.m., asleep a little after midnight, and woke at 3:20 a.m.. I have been awake since then, it is now 4:18, and I still cannot fall back asleep! The first night I took it, it did the something plus a side of anxiety attacks. Thought I'd give it a try again, but nope, no more of this! Smh!"

Sleepless in Az (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2016

"I have severe sleep problems and now take 50mg of doxepin nightly. I fall asleep and stay asleep. I have tried numerous other meds and most either don't work or work for only a short period of time, this has not been a problem with doxepin."

BSFMI (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2016

"Low dose doxepin did not help at all with my insomnia. I tried doses from 5mg to 20mg and it never helped with either falling asleep or staying asleep. Side effects: very dry mouth, sore throat, headache. On the plus side it's very inexpensive and I was able to discontinue it without any withdrawal effects."

StillSleepless (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2016

"Tried this pill last night. Did sleep pretty well but very hungover in the morning. It is just not worth it. Can't function normally today. I was taking Ativan which was great but the doctor will not prescribe it any more. Can't believe that one little pill can make me feel so awful. I will never take it again!!"

Judeler May 10, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "I tried the 3 mg dose last night. I slept worse than when I take nothing. I felt so agitated and miserable. Tossed and turned all night. Will not take it again!"

Needshuteye (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

Silenor (doxepin): "Been using it for about 5 months and it has been a miracle worker until recently. A few weeks ago started having random sleepless nights. This week has been terrible waking up after 3-4 hours and feeling wide awake. Not sure if my body is getting used to it but I thought I'd check the reviews to see if anyone else has had the same problem. I hope this is a fluke because Silenor really had changed my life and even though it was expensive it was worth being able to function the next day."

PHick April 21, 2016