User Reviews for Doxepin to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Silenor Adapin

Doxepin has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 35 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 57% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Doxepin Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 142 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Doxepin

Neverwithouthope June 13, 2021

“I have suffered from anxiety, depression, eating disorders, sleep issues since my teens. I began doxepin in combination with hydroxyzine and I have experienced life changing results. I used to sleep 12 hours I would still be exhausted. My cognitive function is amazing. I no longer feel sick all the time, I wake up completely alert instead of groggy and in physical pain. The hydroxyzine has been very effective when I begin to notice myself getting over stimulated during the day. My anxiety essentially turns down to normal which has been a game changer for me. Fears that had been extremely taxing on me mentally and physically due to excessive anxiety and irregular sleep and eating are easy now. I used to crumble under pressure, procrastinate everything rather than just doing it... I am frankly blown away by the results. I feel normal for the first time in my life.”

Ang January 8, 2021

“I was on doxepin a while ago but weaned myself off it, thinking my anxiety wasn't that bad and I could try mindfulness/natural herbs. Well that wasn't a good idea. Ended up in hospital with heat arrhythmia and terrible anxiety/no sleep. I didn't realise how well this medication works while on it. After 2 days back on it I'm sleeping and my heart has gone back to normal. I'm on 75mg and will be for life. I have had no unpleasant side effects apart from going off it. Saved my life really. 10/10”

Pmillz0704 April 23, 2021

“I’m taking 10mg doxepin in the evening. This is an older medicine that came out in 1969, this means that it has been around a long time and so what side effects there are, are largely known by now. I opted for the 10mg since 3mg & 6mg (for insomnia) is expensive. I have suffered with anxiety & insomnia for a few years now. The higher mg’s (150mg-300mg) target areas of the brain affected by depression and anxiety (per MD). The 10mg has helped both with my insomnia & anxiety. I have taken many different medicines to deal with my anxiety. I was having insomnia with Celexa & had to take Xanax to deal with it, it worked aside from insomnia. I have struggled for a long time to find something that actually works & I am grateful that I am able to sleep & be free of anxiety! I read the reviews on doxepin prior to taking it & saw several that said it caused them to gain weight. This has not been my experience. I’ve had no side effects &, best of all, I’ve gotten my life back.”

Marco · Taken for 10 years or more October 16, 2020

“After most of my life at least 40 Years. I have been on tricyclic antidepressants it took a long time to get diagnosed I see my condition as generalised anxiety as I had no real classic signs of depression, 10 years ago I enede up in Hospital and they gave me anti psychotic medications seraquel nothing worked. After giving me xanax which within an hour I was back to myself they discharged me on xanax. I saw my psychiatrist of 20 years and he prescribed Doxepin and within 4 week I came literally out of a nightmare. I still have 2 hour to come round in the morning but it sure is better than the extreme anxiety and worry I was experiencing. So I don't want to upset the apple cart as I have so I continue to keep up my regime and I'm quite pleased with have a life without extreme anxiety panic disorder which is my exact diagnosis.”

Mary · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2018

“I’ve been struggling with PTSD for well over 10 years. Incapacitating anxiety, insomnia, depression. I could no longer function at all. I’ve tried everything! Nothing worked unless it made it worse and gave me extremely bad side effects. It was so excruciating that I really wanted to throw in the towel. I started Doxepin about 6 or weeks ago. Then suddenly the intensity of my disorder severely decreased. Almost overnight and has continued to without any dips in its time. I’m absolutely stunned! I’m still on the low starting dose too. I’m overjoyed by relief. I’ve become myself again. I can actively participate in daily activities like showering, leaving my house, answering the phone, basic things that people take for granted. Before, I was totally immobilized. I hope this continues”

Anon05 · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2019

“Been on doxepin 10mg for insomnia and anxiety attacks. In only three days it has changed my quality of life for the better. I take it at 9pm, and I’m asleep by 10:30 or 11pm the latest. I sleep all night. I do feel a little groggy in the morning but it goes away after an hour of moving around. It keeps me centered and functional throughout the day. No anxiety, or panic. It has relieved my palpitations too. A bit of a dry mouth but my pharmacist suggested I drink water or suck on ice cubes. It relieves the dry mouth. I was put on sertraline 50mg and buspirone before this and that combo totally messed me up. They caused me mild serotonin syndrome (rapid heart rate and high blood pressure). I’m so glad my doctor put me on doxepin. It has helped so much! I will not touch sertraline or buspirone ever again.”

Gotribein16 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 20, 2016

“I was experiencing very bad anxiety and was having panic attacks nearly everyday. I also had issues sleeping, I couldn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time. My doctor put me on 75mg once daily at bedtime. I feel like my old self. I am sleeping very well at night and I haven't had a panic attack in 8 months. Doxepin gave me my life back.”

fayfaith November 20, 2015

Sinequan (doxepin): “If you're not able to take or no longer able to take SSRI'S, SNRI'S & Benz's this is a drug to consider. I've taken it off an on for decades. It helps tremendously in maintaining a normalcy n excellent for someone deprived of sleep. Takes time,but once adjusted it will become less of problem.Although it will continue to help for a good night's sleep. It's best to take this medication later in afternoon, until you do adjust. God Bless,”

DKT26 May 17, 2015

“Been on many SSRIs, a few SNRIs, and some of the TCAs. I took Tofranil (imipramine) for about 6 months on a starting dose of 25 mg and eventually increased slowly to 125mg. Over the course of those 6 months, my anxiety was under control for the most part, but I developed myoclonus and had to stop taking the drug. I switched to Sinequan (doxepin) 25 mg, increased to 75 mg, divided into 25mg three times a day and have done well, without any side effects besides mild fatigue. No bad thoughts, lingering anxiety or panic attacks. Very successful drug (doxepin) for me so far. Been about 3 months now.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2017

“I started doxepin last night and I have insomnia and wake up several times during the night. I slept from 6:30pm til 7:30am, but still a little tired today, but I didn't wake up once. So, so far so good. I think I'm going to be very pleased with this drug. It also helped a lot with my anxiety as well. I've had zero side effects so far and hopefully won't have any. Good luck to everyone that takes it cuz for me after trying several meds, this seems to be the best one so far and without weight gain too. Most insomnia medication causes weight gain from the research I've done and this one doesn't thank god because I've just lost 110lbs and do not want to put any weight on now that I'm at my perfect weight size for my height. I hope this helps.”

KellyBird57 · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2015

“Especially good for helping you stay asleep! The problem is that I slept 12 hours straight and most of the next day. I didn't really have an issue staying asleep before- my issue is more with relaxing/ going to sleep at appropriate times. So, if you have a lot of trouble staying asleep, this definitely works. No terrible side effects, was just very sleepy. If you really need the sleep, go for it!”

Nickynickname June 8, 2013

“Psych keeps trying to replace Klonopin and Ambien with doxepin. It is very dose dependent. Prescribed 50mg but take 10mg, splitting capsules. Great sleep helps with anxiety next day but sedating. Non habit forming - no real "good" feeling. Took last night worked great for sleep and anxiety. Will see how today goes. ”

BrianB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 8, 2019

“This drug doxepin has definitely decreased my anxiety and panic attacks. After years of trying nearly every drug out there, I've finally found one that works well (for me). The one downside I have with this drug is the grogginess in the mornings. However, I've been running in the morning to help ease the grogginess and it certainly helps.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2019

“I started on doxepin 75 mg 15 days ago. I have notice a decrease in my anxiety, excitableness, and obsessive thinking and thoughts. I use to have a problem sleeping. Not anymore!! I am asleep in about 20 min and I stay asleep. I use to be such a light sleeper, and never got more than 5 hours of sleep. I use to take Gabapentin for nerve pain. However, I haven’t needed it since taking Doxepin. I noticed it also takes my appetite away. Now for the horrible side effects.....I have to force myself up. It takes me a few hours to fully be awake. I was in a horrible brain fog for the first 10 days. The first four days I felt like I had the flu. Now I am still dealing with the tiredness. I don’t want to stop it. However, I will if the tiredness doesn’t subside. I am glad I have had no headaches on the medicine, as other meds have given me.”

metalman1980 September 17, 2016

“This drug was terrible, I would take it at night and fall right to sleep and when I get up in the morning im completely exhausted and dizzy. My balance is off and feel like im in a daze. I was extremely irritable. The entire day I was depressed and in a very very bad mood. Everything bothered me. My anxiety was terrible. Tremors in my hands and just feeling kind of loopy. Nightmares when sleeping. This drug did nothing of any benefit for me. I was taking it to help with my social anxiety and panic attacks.”

No panic September 24, 2017

“Hi milemile I have been on doxepin many years for panic attacks before this medicine I stopped going out anywhere. You will be tired for a bit of time but it goes away . It stopped all panic attacks. Never had one panic attack for 10 years on this medicine. But I stopped to try other meds for higher mood. But when I stopped doxepin the panic attacks returned so 10 years without panic attack on doxepin is a good thing!”

milemile · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2017

“Hello, I was prescribed Doxepin for anxiety, panic attacks and depression. I took it last night and slept great but this am I could NOT open my eyes and all day I have been beyond drowsy even spaced out and exhausted. I took 10 mg at bedtime last night. I am going to try taking it at dinner time tonight around 7pm. I am glad I slept great but I cannot function on this exhaustion. Please tell me these side effects go away. Also could one pill do all this. Last night was first time I tried this:-(. Thanks”

Anonymous May 2, 2010

“I have been taking Doxepin for 26 years to treat depression and acute anxiety. It has worked well and enabled me to feel normal and lead a normal life. Recently though it has stopped working as well and I am having panic attacks and anxiety again. I think I have become immune to to it because of taking it for so long. Would like to switch to a newer drug but my doctor is not keen to swap me.”

Kgebriel June 2, 2021

“I have been suffering with anxiety, depression and insomnia, but doxepin helped me to get my life back. Thank you for those who created this medicine. My concern is how long will I take this medicine? Is this going for life? I am thinking to ask my doctor. It really helped to relieve anxiety and depression. I take right in the bed and it works good. 9/10”

Rae · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2020

“Prescribed doxepin 25mg for anxiety and I was afraid to take the whole dose. I’ve divided into 1/2, 2/3 and into 1/4. The 1/4 didn’t make me feel hungover or very tired the next day but the other does did. I’m glad I didn’t try the full does. I do sleep better and don’t have the hangover, dizziness or feel tired. The lower dose just takes the edge off my anxiety. I’ll give it another week then decide if it’s for me.”

Buffs June 23, 2014

“My Dr. Prescribed me Doxepin 10mg. For depression, anxiety, and insomnia. So far so good, calms me down wonderfully when my three kids or my husband cause me to have an anxiety attack, and is working well with my depression. Only things it isn't doing to much for my insomnia I still go to bed at about 9pm and fall asleep around 2:30-3:00am. I have also taken Lexapro which worsened my depression, Zoloft just made me feel like a zombie or like I was wired out of my mind, and Prozac which worked great on me but since I have insomnia my Dr. gave me Doxepin.”

Parapett · Taken for 10 years or more July 1, 2021

“I’ve been on sinequan for 26 years, I take 50 mg in the morning plus 1 1/2 Xanax, In the afternoon I take the same, And at night I take 3 sineqan (50g each) plus 2 Xanax & 2 imovane 7.5mg to help me sleep, and I wake normal (no side effects whatsoever) I can’t live without them, I highly recommend Sinequan is the best antidepressant !!!!”

maddieI · Taken for 10 years or more February 26, 2014

“I have been on Doxepin and Xanax for 28 years, I take 150 mg doxepin at night and 1 Xanax at night 1mg. My doctor has me taking no more than five Xanax a day. I am starting to get more and more panic attacks during the day but I don't want to take more than 4 of the Xanax.”

pcworkman · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2019

“Was on Doxepin many years ago, and did not have one anxiety attack or panic attack at night, when they mostly happened. Then I went off it. Today, I am back on it, 25 mg at night. I do not know why my doctor took me off it. I am now back on it, so here's hoping. Will let you know how things go.”

Twiggy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2019

“I started doxepin for GAD eight weeks ago started on 50 mg and it took away all anxiety, and I felt like the old me. Now last two days I have all the bad thoughts and anxiety again. Going to try to go up in dosage praying this helps...”