User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Doxepin Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Doxepin to treat Anxiety

"This drug was terrible, I would take it at night and fall right to sleep and when I get up in the morning im completely exhausted and dizzy. My balance is off and feel like im in a daze. I was extremely irritable. The entire day I was depressed and in a very very bad mood. Everything bothered me. My anxiety was terrible. Tremors in my hands and just feeling kind of loopy. Nightmares when sleeping. This drug did nothing of any benefit for me. I was taking it to help with my social anxiety and panic attacks."

metalman1980 September 17, 2016

"I was experiencing very bad anxiety and was having panic attacks nearly everyday. I also had issues sleeping, I couldn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time. My doctor put me on 75mg once daily at bedtime. I feel like my old self. I am sleeping very well at night and I haven't had a panic attack in 8 months. Doxepin gave me my life back."

Gotribein16 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 20, 2016

Sinequan (doxepin): "If you're not able to take or no longer able to take SSRI'S, SNRI'S & Benz's this is a drug to consider. I've taken it off an on for decades. It helps tremendously in maintaining a normalcy n excellent for someone deprived of sleep. Takes time,but once adjusted it will become less of problem.Although it will continue to help for a good night's sleep. It's best to take this medication later in afternoon, until you do adjust. God Bless,"

fayfaith November 20, 2015

"Been on many SSRIs, a few SNRIs, and some of the TCAs. I took Tofranil (imipramine) for about 6 months on a starting dose of 25 mg and eventually increased slowly to 125mg. Over the course of those 6 months, my anxiety was under control for the most part, but I developed myoclonus and had to stop taking the drug. I switched to Sinequan (doxepin) 25 mg, increased to 75 mg, divided into 25mg three times a day and have done well, without any side effects besides mild fatigue. No bad thoughts, lingering anxiety or panic attacks. Very successful drug (doxepin) for me so far. Been about 3 months now."

DKT26 May 17, 2015

"Especially good for helping you stay asleep! The problem is that I slept 12 hours straight and most of the next day. I didn't really have an issue staying asleep before- my issue is more with relaxing/ going to sleep at appropriate times. So, if you have a lot of trouble staying asleep, this definitely works. No terrible side effects, was just very sleepy. If you really need the sleep, go for it!"

KellyBird57 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2015

"My Dr. Prescribed me Doxepin 10mg. For depression, anxiety, and insomnia. So far so good, calms me down wonderfully when my three kids or my husband cause me to have an anxiety attack, and is working well with my depression. Only things it isn't doing to much for my insomnia I still go to bed at about 9pm and fall asleep around 2:30-3:00am. I have also taken Lexapro which worsened my depression, Zoloft just made me feel like a zombie or like I was wired out of my mind, and Prozac which worked great on me but since I have insomnia my Dr. gave me Doxepin."

Buffs June 23, 2014

"I have been on Doxepin and Xanax for 28 years, I take 150 mg doxepin at night and 1 Xanax at night 1mg. My doctor has me taking no more than five Xanax a day. I am starting to get more and more panic attacks during the day but I don't want to take more than 4 of the Xanax."

maddieI (taken for 10 years or more) February 26, 2014

"Yes, Doxepin mixed with Zanax is a nightmare. Too many adverse reactions......increased anxiety, severe agitation and frustration. It's like nothing can go quick enough for you."

speedy501 February 11, 2014

"Psych keeps trying to replace Klonopin and Ambien with doxepin. It is very dose dependent. Prescribed 50mg but take 10mg, splitting capsules. Great sleep helps with anxiety next day but sedating. Non habit forming - no real "good" feeling. Took last night worked great for sleep and anxiety. Will see how today goes. "

Nickynickname June 8, 2013

"I have been taking Doxepin for 26 years to treat depression and acute anxiety. It has worked well and enabled me to feel normal and lead a normal life. Recently though it has stopped working as well and I am having panic attacks and anxiety again. I think I have become immune to to it because of taking it for so long. Would like to switch to a newer drug but my doctor is not keen to swap me."

Anonymous May 2, 2010

"I mixed Doxepin with Xanax and was horrible. Had very bad side effects. Please be careful - do not mix this with anything unless you know what you are doing. Works well to sleep."

Anonymous March 26, 2010