User Reviews for Zyrtec

Learn more about Zyrtec.

Zyrtec Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 432 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Zyrtec to treat Allergic Rhinitis

"Zyrtec knocks me out. Period. I took a pill at noon and by 2:00 pm I lay down virtually passed out. I slept for two hours straight. In the middle of the day. When I awoke I could barely function. Brain fog, lethargy, no energy. To tell the truth, I was so spaced out for so long that I couldn't tell if helped my sinus condition or not. I wouldn't dream of taking it if I had to drive. It would make a great sleeping pill."

DarioT. (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

"I have been trying to deal with drippy eyes and nose (saturating multiple tissues in a couple of hours), and upon awakening clearing throat for over 20 years since moving from the east coast to CA. I finally decided that I had enough and the doctor told me to try Zyrtec. I started it a few days ago...yep, the drips improved, BUT, I feel exhausted, falling asleep, no energy. I think I may have to deal with the drippy symptoms and tell Zyrtec to take a hike!"

Pirene July 20, 2016

"Have always had severe allergies since a child, I first used Zyrtec about 14 years ago, worked great but I could barely stay awake at work, it was bad, I'm a dental assistant and I actually fell asleep while assisting(sitting on the assistant chair!) I could barely drive, I confided in a co-worker and she asked me if I was taking anything, I told her just allergy pills, she asked which ones and she said her daughter takes them but she has to take them a couple of hours before bed. I could have easily had a car accident. Anyhow now i'm researching what to take for mango skin allergy, I have Allegra which isn't as good and since I don't work now I'm going to take Zyrtec for it after reading the reviews on it."

Curesmile (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

"LOVE Zyrtec D...HATE HATE HATE THE PACKAGING....why can't you put it in a bottle instead of having to open ALL these tiny blister packs!!! This packaging is AWFUL!!"

Yall (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2016

"I have firstly severe seasonal allergies, and I purchased Zyrtec in hopes that it would be superior to Allegra. The allergy symptoms improved slightly, but the fatigue was terrible. It was so bad that I thought I was coming down with the flu. I slept for five hours straight in the middle of the day after my second dose. This is not acceptable."

SMarieBon June 15, 2016

"I'd rather suffer with the allergies than fight the sleepiness. My Dr said it would not cause drowsiness, well that's not so."

Slide M (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"After a week using it all symptoms were gone. If I miss it 3 to 5 days , symptoms returned. No drowsiness is the best part."

Lizk611 October 8, 2015

"I have been taking Zyrtec for almost 6 years. I was first prescribed Zyrtec to combat my allergies during pregnancy. It worked well except to make me a little drowsy. I only take it seasonally, and it still works well for my symptoms, but the fatigue and drowsiness has gotten worse over time. When I started taking it again for my Spring/Summer allergies this year, the first week was horrible. Even taking it at night I felt so fatigued the next day my muscles ached, and I had to fight to stay awake during the day with my 2 little ones at home. I would fall asleep as soon as my husband got home and sleep 14-15 hours. After about a week my body seemed to adjust and the drowsiness isn't as bad anymore."

Jenn S. July 18, 2015

"Zyrtec made me so sleepy I could barely perform my job. Also felt sluggish and dangerous while driving. All I could think of all day was 'I need to go to sleep'..."

SandibB June 5, 2015

"I was suffering really bad with my sinuses over the weekend and could find any relief. The doctor told me in the past to take Claritin, but it has never helped. I was at work this morning and my co worker told me about Zyrtec. Actually she had one for me to try and within 30 minutes, I could feel the pressure letting up in my sinus areas and what a surprise, I could breathe so much better, no sneezing, dripping, coughing, horrible pressure in my sinuses. I was astonished that this little pill could work so effectively. I have to say that I feel like a totally different person today, thanks to Zyrtec. If you haven't ever tried it, be sure to, it is the best of the best. I love you ZYRTEC!"

Saljofra50 July 30, 2014

"Took Zyrtec on the advice of my ENT for chronic sinusitis from hay fever. It worked wonders on my sinuses but I can not function on it due to extreme drowsiness and fatigue. I am going to have to stop taking it!"

Nicfing (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2014

"Zyrtec relieved me of my allergies (except for my worst days), but the side effects were horrible--drowsiness being the worst. I took it at night, however, it still made me so drowsy during the day that in school I fell asleep in every class. Eventually my friends convinced me to stop taking it because they had experienced the same thing. "

College Student March 25, 2014

"Zyrtec works well in combating allergies as well as allergic rhinitis. The best I've found.I take at night about an hour before bedtime and sleep like a baby all night. Love it. First time in years I can say I feel great and not congested from allergies."

Amityjv (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2014

"Zyrtec works incredibly well for my severe ragweed allergy. However, each fall I've noticed it's making me more and more drowsy, to the point that I don't want to do anything and I'm needing naps in the afternoon. I think I'm going to have to discontinue it, which is frustrating because it works much better than the other meds I've tried."

Ragweed sufferer (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2013

"It really did not work for me. My eyes itched a bit less, but my nose just kept itching and running. Also sneezed multiple time after 1st dose. Tried a 2nd tablet 4 hours later with no noticeable results. This may work for some people but I get better relief from Benadryl, which works well but causes drowsiness."

bobbyx October 3, 2012

"I just took Zyrtec for the first time yesterday. It did make me drowsy but I also didn't get much sleep the night before. I took it because my eye was so itchy and watery it had become swollen and I was having trouble breathing. I have had allergies for over 15 years but never took anything before this. Well I don't know if this is an unlisted side effect but I woke up in my sleep cracking up and could not stop laughing for a few minutes even after my husband woke me. I wonder if anyone else had intense dreams while on this medication. I don't take anything else that would cause this."

lgs11 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2012

"Zyrtec worked well for my nasal allergies, but when I tried to stop taking it after several years, I got the skin itch/rash that many have reported. It was worst for the first few days, but now even a year later I still frequently get a skin rash when I get warm (cholinergic urticaria). I can't say for sure that the cholinergic urticaria was a side effect of stopping Zyrtec, but skin rashes were never a symptom of mine until I stopped."

Anonymous March 15, 2012

"It works better than any other medicine I have tried. Down side is the itching, which is caused by its negative effect on the liver. Therefore, I do not take it everyday. I have to wait a day or so in between."

Anonymous February 28, 2012

"I thought Zyrtec (cetirizine) was great at first because it worked so well on my allergies. I have gained 15 pounds over 1-1/2 years. I didn't think it was related to Zyrtec, but recently figured out that it is. I am an extremely healthy eater (no processed foods or white flours/sugars), a runner and triathlete without weight issues before Zyrtec. I attributed the weight gain to age, hormones and finally my thyroid. Blood tests ruled out the hormone and thyroid issues. I only take HRT & Zyrtec. I stopped Zyrtec 3 days ago and have lost 2 pounds without any changes in diet. I am willing to suffer with allergy symptoms if I can lose this weight."

Anonymous February 27, 2012

"All day I have had runny nose, itchy watery eyes, sneezing, throat closing. I finally could not take it anymore I did some research online to determine the best OTC medication to use, Zyrtec stood out the most. I figured that it must be pretty strong due to the fact that at one time you needed a script to get it. I took my first tab at 3:00pm its now 3:18. I am starting to feel the effects of Zyrtec I have not sneezed as of yet my watery nose and eye's are starting to clear up. I'm beginning to breathe easier."

florida allergies February 10, 2012

"I have been taking Zyrtec for about 2 years for hayfever. I have noticed that it doesn't seem to be working as well for my symptoms as it did at first. I stopped taking it 3 days ago and now I am experiencing severe itching on my hands and feet."

Anonymous October 22, 2011

"This is the only medication that has worked for me so far (besides Benadryl), but it gives me horrible dry mouth and eyes after using it for a few days, and if I take it for longer than that my tongue starts to hurt because of the dryness. I would give it a 10 if it weren't for those symptoms."

Anonymous September 5, 2011

"Make the itching stop. I took this for Hayfever and it worked. BUT, it then caused me to have head to toe bumps and itchiness even after stopping taking it. The itching is keeping me up at night. I am hoping to wait it out and never take it again. Also while I was taking it my eyes and face got really, really swollen. I am still not sure if this was from an unusually bad allergy season or the Zyrtec, but I am going to guess it is the Zyrtec because my allergies have never caused this before (usually I just have sinus and itchy eyes). "

Zyrtec Itch June 9, 2011

"I have just decided to stop taking Zyrtec. It worked well on my allergies. However I have had increase in back and joint pain i.e. knee and hip the past two weeks. Not sure it's Zyrtec but felt I'd eliminate it to see if symptoms resolve."

Cap bob June 6, 2011

"It works well, however, it made me as sleepy as Benadryl."

Anonymous November 14, 2010