User Reviews for Zyrtec

Learn more about Zyrtec.

Zyrtec Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 371 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Zyrtec to treat Allergic Rhinitis

"My eyes had been bothering me so much, they are constantly red and irritated, gritty feeling no matter what I do from the moment I wake up until I go to bed. I decided to try Zyrtec because my eyes were so bothersome, and antihistamine eyedrops didn't work. I've been taking it for 2 weeks, and I have never seen my eyes so white and feeling so good. I don't have to use eyedrops at all now. However there is one downside: Zyrtec makes me feel exhausted. It's not like when you take Benedryl and you feel like you could fall asleep standing up, it's more of a foggy feeling and you just feel like you could go for a nap, but the feeling never goes away even if you do nap."

MalloryJay95 June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This product has worked well for me overall. I use it in conjunction with Dymista, and the two together are great. If I miss a dose, then I'm itchy all over, so I take it every day religiously. The main side effect I've experienced (and this is common with Claritin and other similar products) is dry eye, but I simply use some Refresh Plus once a day and it's not a problem."

Skathlee (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It didn't work, no effect whatsoever"

It doesn't work April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My kids and I have taken Zyrtec for years. It has worked wonderfully for us all BUT. . . It wasn't until my most recent migraine that I realized Zyrtec was making us deathly ill. It dawned on me that my migraines occurred once a month right when we ran out of Zyrtec. The horrible migraines were withdrawal symptoms! I immediately stopped giving it to my kids and taking it myself. Yes nose started dripping and I have little hives on my arm but OMG I haven't felt this good in YEARS. No joke, since all 4 of have stopped taking it we've all lost weight. I've lost about 7-10 lbs in a month. My kid's clothes are almost too big. My head is CLEAR, no fog, no drowsy, groggy feeling. I feel like myself again. Do not take Zyrtec!"

FinallyFree1 March 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used Zyrtec for years, not because I wanted to, but because if you stop taking Zyrtec you itch all over constantly. You don't just itch for 3 days like you do when ceasing other allergy meds, it doesn't stop ever. I was finally able to kick it by decreasing the quantity very gradually for a few months while also taking Benadryl. It can be done."

ClickClacker February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A sleeping pill. Terrible."

User12345801236 October 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Zyrtec knocks me out. Period. I took a pill at noon and by 2:00 pm I lay down virtually passed out. I slept for two hours straight. In the middle of the day. When I awoke I could barely function. Brain fog, lethargy, no energy. To tell the truth, I was so spaced out for so long that I couldn't tell if helped my sinus condition or not. I wouldn't dream of taking it if I had to drive. It would make a great sleeping pill."

DarioT. (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been trying to deal with drippy eyes and nose (saturating multiple tissues in a couple of hours), and upon awakening clearing throat for over 20 years since moving from the east coast to CA. I finally decided that I had enough and the doctor told me to try Zyrtec. I started it a few days ago...yep, the drips improved, BUT, I feel exhausted, falling asleep, no energy. I think I may have to deal with the drippy symptoms and tell Zyrtec to take a hike!"

Pirene July 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have always had severe allergies since a child, I first used Zyrtec about 14 years ago, worked great but I could barely stay awake at work, it was bad, I'm a dental assistant and I actually fell asleep while assisting(sitting on the assistant chair!) I could barely drive, I confided in a co-worker and she asked me if I was taking anything, I told her just allergy pills, she asked which ones and she said her daughter takes them but she has to take them a couple of hours before bed. I could have easily had a car accident. Anyhow now i'm researching what to take for mango skin allergy, I have Allegra which isn't as good and since I don't work now I'm going to take Zyrtec for it after reading the reviews on it."

Curesmile (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"LOVE Zyrtec D...HATE HATE HATE THE PACKAGING....why can't you put it in a bottle instead of having to open ALL these tiny blister packs!!! This packaging is AWFUL!!"

Yall (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have firstly severe seasonal allergies, and I purchased Zyrtec in hopes that it would be superior to Allegra. The allergy symptoms improved slightly, but the fatigue was terrible. It was so bad that I thought I was coming down with the flu. I slept for five hours straight in the middle of the day after my second dose. This is not acceptable."

SMarieBon June 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'd rather suffer with the allergies than fight the sleepiness. My Dr said it would not cause drowsiness, well that's not so."

Slide M (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After a week using it all symptoms were gone. If I miss it 3 to 5 days , symptoms returned. No drowsiness is the best part."

Lizk611 October 8, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Zyrtec for almost 6 years. I was first prescribed Zyrtec to combat my allergies during pregnancy. It worked well except to make me a little drowsy. I only take it seasonally, and it still works well for my symptoms, but the fatigue and drowsiness has gotten worse over time. When I started taking it again for my Spring/Summer allergies this year, the first week was horrible. Even taking it at night I felt so fatigued the next day my muscles ached, and I had to fight to stay awake during the day with my 2 little ones at home. I would fall asleep as soon as my husband got home and sleep 14-15 hours. After about a week my body seemed to adjust and the drowsiness isn't as bad anymore."

Jenn S. July 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Zyrtec made me so sleepy I could barely perform my job. Also felt sluggish and dangerous while driving. All I could think of all day was 'I need to go to sleep'..."

SandibB June 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was suffering really bad with my sinuses over the weekend and could find any relief. The doctor told me in the past to take Claritin, but it has never helped. I was at work this morning and my co worker told me about Zyrtec. Actually she had one for me to try and within 30 minutes, I could feel the pressure letting up in my sinus areas and what a surprise, I could breathe so much better, no sneezing, dripping, coughing, horrible pressure in my sinuses. I was astonished that this little pill could work so effectively. I have to say that I feel like a totally different person today, thanks to Zyrtec. If you haven't ever tried it, be sure to, it is the best of the best. I love you ZYRTEC!"

Saljofra50 July 30, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took Zyrtec on the advice of my ENT for chronic sinusitis from hay fever. It worked wonders on my sinuses but I can not function on it due to extreme drowsiness and fatigue. I am going to have to stop taking it!"

Nicfing (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Zyrtec relieved me of my allergies (except for my worst days), but the side effects were horrible--drowsiness being the worst. I took it at night, however, it still made me so drowsy during the day that in school I fell asleep in every class. Eventually my friends convinced me to stop taking it because they had experienced the same thing. "

College Student March 25, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Zyrtec works well in combating allergies as well as allergic rhinitis. The best I've found.I take at night about an hour before bedtime and sleep like a baby all night. Love it. First time in years I can say I feel great and not congested from allergies."

Amityjv (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Zyrtec works incredibly well for my severe ragweed allergy. However, each fall I've noticed it's making me more and more drowsy, to the point that I don't want to do anything and I'm needing naps in the afternoon. I think I'm going to have to discontinue it, which is frustrating because it works much better than the other meds I've tried."

Ragweed sufferer (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It really did not work for me. My eyes itched a bit less, but my nose just kept itching and running. Also sneezed multiple time after 1st dose. Tried a 2nd tablet 4 hours later with no noticeable results. This may work for some people but I get better relief from Benadryl, which works well but causes drowsiness."

bobbyx October 3, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just took Zyrtec for the first time yesterday. It did make me drowsy but I also didn't get much sleep the night before. I took it because my eye was so itchy and watery it had become swollen and I was having trouble breathing. I have had allergies for over 15 years but never took anything before this. Well I don't know if this is an unlisted side effect but I woke up in my sleep cracking up and could not stop laughing for a few minutes even after my husband woke me. I wonder if anyone else had intense dreams while on this medication. I don't take anything else that would cause this."

lgs11 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Zyrtec worked well for my nasal allergies, but when I tried to stop taking it after several years, I got the skin itch/rash that many have reported. It was worst for the first few days, but now even a year later I still frequently get a skin rash when I get warm (cholinergic urticaria). I can't say for sure that the cholinergic urticaria was a side effect of stopping Zyrtec, but skin rashes were never a symptom of mine until I stopped."

Anonymous March 15, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It works better than any other medicine I have tried. Down side is the itching, which is caused by its negative effect on the liver. Therefore, I do not take it everyday. I have to wait a day or so in between."

Anonymous February 28, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I thought Zyrtec (cetirizine) was great at first because it worked so well on my allergies. I have gained 15 pounds over 1-1/2 years. I didn't think it was related to Zyrtec, but recently figured out that it is. I am an extremely healthy eater (no processed foods or white flours/sugars), a runner and triathlete without weight issues before Zyrtec. I attributed the weight gain to age, hormones and finally my thyroid. Blood tests ruled out the hormone and thyroid issues. I only take HRT & Zyrtec. I stopped Zyrtec 3 days ago and have lost 2 pounds without any changes in diet. I am willing to suffer with allergy symptoms if I can lose this weight."

Anonymous February 27, 2012