User Reviews for Zyrtec

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Zyrtec.

Zyrtec Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Urticaria.

Reviews for Zyrtec to treat Urticaria

"I was diagnosed with Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria 3 months ago. I have dermographism, where my skin itches during the day, and if I scratch it, I get terrible red patches on my body which stay for an hour or two and looks terrible. I tried every single second generation antihistamine and non of them helped. Zyrtec finally gave me the relief I wanted. I take one pill in the morning with no side effects and I almost don't feel any itch during the day. Since I don't itch, I don't need to scratch myself and don't get hives. I give 8 starts because it doesn't completely cure CIU, but it helps me to manage my symptoms."

Craig7777 September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I recently had testing for chronic urticaria with Hashimoto (with normal thyroid levels). And came out positive which means I have to deal with hives and swelling. At first I was only taking Benadryl but it only put me to sleep and wake up with the same symptom. So my specialist suggested I take one zyrtec a day, but I was still having symptoms two times a week (remind you I was having hives and swelling every single day from morning to night) so even though I was having symptoms 2 times a week it was a relief but I was looking for a complete relief. So then again my specialist suggested instead of taking one 10g Zyrtec pill I would move on to taking two 10g Zyrtec pills a day. And thankfully it has changed my life! I Don't get drowsy!"

GmWatkins July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hives is directly linked to autoimmune disorders such as Hashimoto's- a thyroid disease. Chronic hives can't be treated with Zyrtec if this is the case. I give Zyrtec 8 stars BC it is a great otc fix for allergies. However if you are suffering from chronic hives and find nothing helping, perhaps you need to research ... I am experiencing this first hand. I have found oatmeal baths and coconut oil with essential oils to sooth my chronic hives- specifically lavender, lemon, Meleluca, and peppermint. My next step is getting a full blood panel done to confirm Hashimoto's. ...Zyrtec can't fix that but is good for common allergies."

MomMandy May 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just writing this in case it helps another person to know what their "trigger" was. I was given a cup of Artichoke Tea for the first time. Several hours later (during the night) started scratching shoulders and upper body. Itching stopped for few hours during the next day and re-occurred later that evening and spread to many other areas of body as I took myself to emergency dept of hospital. Was given one Prednisolone and two Zyrtec tabs in the very early hours of morning. Now, six hours later and (after great sleep) have awoken to no visible hives and no itching at all. Will get script for Zyrtec later on today just in case it comes back. But, fingers crossed it will not do so."

Itch-Free April 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had chronic hives for most of my life. I can't tell you the different types of medical "cocktails" I've been on. I've tried doxepin up to 100 mg.... made me loopy all day long. Don't really want to take anything that will mess with my brain. I've taken Benadryl, Claritin, Zyrtec, Zyrtec w/Zantac, I've switched antacids --- be careful with Prilosec. That will lower your B12 quicker than anything. Mine got so low, I had to start giving myself B12 shots from taking the Prilosec. Nothing is working for me! I am miserable beyond comprehension! If anyone has any other suggestion, please post. Thank you."

xteeweex April 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had never heard of hives and I'm 54! We moved to my Mother in laws house after she passed away. And just thought was something in house. I have been to ER 2x in a month. The Dr in ER diagnosed as urticaria both times got steroid shots and prescriptions same both times. Nurse said take Pepcid and Zyrtec. But some days are so bad!"

Lola J January 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hey!! I was suffered by chronic idiopathic urticaria (CIU) past 5 months, So initially i consulted a dermatologist and he said "It's just a food reaction so he gave some drugs", after 1 week it got worse and I'm worried but continued to take the medicine he gave. Parallely I searched about urticaria in internet and understood I have CIU and started worried every night i got this hives, it was painful to sleep (all over body), after some days i got on my face and head its was stressful and physically and mentally. Again I approached my doctor he said "it's not easy to identify why this hives occur", and he gave zyrtec 10 msg drug i use to take after my night meal every day. Later a month i asked my self why i need take this rest of my lif"

Mansoorahamed S (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"CIU or Chronic Idiopathic Urticia has been my recent diagnosis. I've had outbreaks of Hives for many many years, lasting from weeks to months. Most recently I've been seeing a specialist and he has me on cyclosporine. tough drug to take but cleared my hives and if I have an occasional small outbreak, zrytec does the trick and knocks it out. I also had a shot that was doctor recommended and the first dose cleared my hives but second did not, so on to the cyclosprine"

Rolopup October 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"my bf had hives for 3 weeks. more often than not. claritan did really nothing. Allegra nothing. benedryl helped some. I was scared he'd have a anaphylaxis reaction. I bought him vit. c, b, d, quercitin, probiotic. a dao enzyme. and nothing was working great. today is Monday 611 pm. he started zyrtec sat at 11am. he has red huge hives on his back and legs and arms . well I'm happy to say...the zyrtec seems to be working.. they are gone. we've even eating normal and he's even had a couple of drinks. also he's taking pepcid. but it's been over two days of no hives. I think the zyrtec is a miracle."

allhivedout August 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had hives nearly every day for 3 weeks (at first I thought I was getting bug bites). Went to the Doc and she told me to try Zyrtec. Last night was the first time in 3 weeks I've been hives and itch-free. It's amazing. I just wish I could find out what's causing the outbreaks!"

ZyrtecRocks August 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had first hive outbreak at age 63, off and one, lasting for a year. I visited the allergy doctor once and was advised to "enjoy life more and don't do too much! It could be stress-related". I did not take any medicine. Then for one and half a year, I was fine. For the recent 3 months, I have been suffering from the second chronic hive outbreak. They are acting up on my face, lips, eyes, and face which are new and more severe symptoms. At the same time, my older son had the same outbreak and has been taking Zyrtec daily by his doctor's recommendation. I have been asking a total of 13 pills from him. Firstly I took one a day for 4 days. They were very effective on me. Each pill can stop the hives for 3 days."

Rothive March 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After travelling to Japan in Sep 2015 and having ,enjoying with tremendous quantity of sea food sasimi, BBQ Wangyu beef and wonderful cheese cake , I woke up next morning with hives literally covered my both front arms outer parts and partially between shoulder and neck. Never experienced previously with allergic reaction in my life ( btw I am 52y/o) After doing intensive checkup, blood tests, etc., etc., and more etc. finally one of the brilliant Doctor gave me the Zyrtec. I have been taking (one a day) for 2 weeks. I still don't know (my doctor either) what triggered these ugly hives but eventually all disappeared and gone to hell. I highly recommend. I agree about side effects especially causing impair my thinking."

Ozjan (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"52 y/o Well I have had hives for 2 almost 3 weeks now on my face scalp neck..cause undermined and I never had them before. I was put on pred-Metra-soul pack that I quit due to the extreme side effects. A sedative. I used a heap of ear and eye drops. Was taking Benadryll. I just wanted to claw my skin off..the welts were painful and then became HORRIBLY insanely itchy. One or three would go away only to be replaced by 4, eyes and even ears swelled shut. Tried Zertec after 3rd doc visit. Felt good! ITCHING STOPPED..still some swelling around one eye but given how bad it was this is like a miracle. Just took a second one today and tho still a LITTLE residual swelling- 95% better. NO SIDE EFFECTS either. This drug is a god send"

TheBeeHive November 20, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been getting viral hives over the last 6 months. I went and saw an allergist (who diagnosed me) and he recommends this instead of Benadryl. For me it hasn't helped. I guess I'm not as lucky as the others here."

trinkystar (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I would have a hives outbreak occasionally and went to see an allergist who just told me it had nothing to do with food and to take 1 zyrtec 2 if they were bad. I had an outbreak and they went down but it took awhile to work. I decided to get a second opinion with another allergist who ran tests and finally told me to take a zyrtec everday for life. He said if I felt an outbreak wanting to come to take a second one. I am happy to report this has actually worked I have gone 7 months with no hives outbreak! It feels wonderful to have my life back without worries of an outbreak! Please talk to your doctor about this recommendation my allergist gave me, I hope it helps someone out there. :)"

brkano April 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had chronic hives for years and until a doctor in the emergency room found exactly what to do.. within 2 hours, it was gone. She hooked me up to an IV and gave me a high dose of steriods, not the medrol dose pack. 20 MG 3 times a day (after I went home)but she also gave me Zyrtec 10 mg, and Prilosec. Apparently the Prilosec helps also. But I still get hives every 2 months. When I get hives, I welt up with a rash from head to toe, my skin is red as can be, and it burns badly and itches , also take lukewarm baths with a lot of Epsom salt,and the soap I use for hives attack is home made lye soap! It must be home made, I'm curious about how much Zyrtec can you take within 24 hr. Period safely"

wish2dance March 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Zyrtec never helped my runny nose or itchy eyes but it eliminated about 90 percent of my hives, and for me, that might as well be a hundred percent. My hives came on gradually and worsened over the years. It got to the point where my skin burned and itched pretty much 24/7. When I started taking Zyrtec regularly I noticed immediate improvement. Before I had just assumed my post shave rash was normal but now I know it was my hives response."

Gailfsu (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had hives a few times now. I just got done with a horrible case from penicillin. Took prednisone for several days. Some hives appear in the morning. Now I control with one Zyrtec per day. It works for me. No side effects. Great product."

Kathoncamano (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The feeling of being on fire started when I was 17 and the daily attacks didn't stop until I found Cetirizine HCL (Zyrtec) some 5 years ago. I'm now 50 I take a tablet every morning and I'm good. For me it's a miracle pill. "

JGofCalifornia August 19, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My husband has been having hive outbreaks which seem to have gotten progressively more severe over the last 8 months. His doctor has been changing medications trying to find the source. Husband is on blood pressure and statins. Benadryl is not as effective anymore plus taking it every six hours makes him sleep all the time. I am so glad I found this website! Talked with doctor about trying one of these antihistamine treatments and she agreed. It has worked! No more hives! Fantastic! He has a life again. Who knew that a 10mg pill could make such a difference."

Cindy O. August 6, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had hives for five days now, they burn. I took 10mg of Zyrtec but they are no help. I still have the hives and still have the pain that only a ice pack will help."

us395 May 8, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had chronic urticaria for over 2 years now, and out of all the allergy medicines, Zyrtec works the best. My hives have become much harder to manage in the past year, so I need to take twice the Zyrtec I used to, but it still works much better than Allegra or Claritin for me."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had hives for 3 weeks and I was completely miserable! I was put on steroids for 3 days and they came back as soon as I quit them. I was taking Benadryl everyday and was still so itchy. About ready to go nuts I researched and researched things to try. Into week 3 with the hives I started taking Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 and drinking green tea everyday. Took a Zyrtec one morning and my hives were cleared by evening. I have been taking 1 a day for 3 days now and I'm hive free..feeling great."

clebrun (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had dermatographism or chronic urticaria for about 1 yr before I started taking Zyrtec. I started taking Zyrtec in January and now I forgot I even have the skin problem! When I first tried this product, the side effects made me extremely sleepy and thirsty. It dried my body out. But the side effects went away after prolonged use. Now I feel like a normal person!"

naomi96 June 9, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started Zyrtec 10 mg one week ago for allergies. I have been plagued by intense palm itching with various other areas, arms, ankles, legs which develops into hives. I am happy to say...GONE NOW! Thank goodness! It was maddening and my doctor never got excited about it! So happy now!"

55Epi Deb April 22, 2013