User Reviews for Zyrtec to treat Urticaria

Zyrtec has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 46 ratings for the treatment of Urticaria. 70% of those users who reviewed Zyrtec reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Zyrtec Rating Summary

7.6/10 average rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Urticaria.

Reviews for Zyrtec

Pepcidallergy · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2021

“Had an allergic reaction to Pepcid ac (first time taking it) about half hour after taking it , my face started to itchy and swell, also felt like pins and needles on top of my head. I went to the emergency room waited about 4 hrs to see the doctor by that time swelling had gone down and symptoms were improving. They sent me home 3:30am slept for about 2 hrs when I woke up I had very itchy hives on my legs arms and stomach, they would go away during the day, but would come back every night, day 3 took a Zyrtec and woke up next day with no hives!! Probably with take a Zyrtec for the next couple days”

Newtohives · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2021

“I am having hives for the first time in my life, I am 40. This started soon after I gave birth a few months ago. Blood tests don’t say anything but I am just sad to know if there is going to be an end to this ever. I take Zyrtec every two days. I was never on any medication and my hive disease has not shown any improvement on days without Zyrtec. Any advise is welcome. One of the things I want to know, Will I get addicted to Zyrtec ( prescribed)?”

Peti · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 14, 2020

“So, suddenly when I was 29 I started getting terrible itchy times, scratching myself till I bleed, swollen skin. Doctors failed to diagnose anything, but I asked them to at least give me something and the doc made me try zyrtec. I take one every 2 to 3 days and I can't keep going without it. I just did an experiment and lasted 5 days without but 4th and 5th were horrible. Zyrtec is imo not addictive, if you had itchiness and rash before then of course it will come back when you stop taking it. It has some pretty nasty side effects for me tho: - drowsiness - horrible realistic nightmares - mood swaps, anger issues I am right now for better alternatives.”

Itchy person · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 27, 2020

“I have been on a combination of Allegra/pepcid morning and Zyrtec/pepcid evening for the past 4 years. I developed chronic idiopathic dermatographism after I had my son. I had a negative and very itchy reaction to the epidural but I've not been able to pin point that that was the initial cause of my current problem or if there is an underlying issue still at hand. 5 doctors have not been able to find out what is wrong with me. I've had allergy testing, blood tests galore, thyroid examines etc. I'm now at the point where I don't know if Zyrtec just works so great or if I'm so addicted to it that I can't get off of it. Every night when it's time to take it I feel like (what I would assume) a person coming off hard core drugs feels like. The itching is bad. I'm now off day two of trying to detox myself from it and I'm losing my mind. Never take this stuff. Ever. I wish I would have never started.”

clebrun · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2013

“I had hives for 3 weeks and I was completely miserable! I was put on steroids for 3 days and they came back as soon as I quit them. I was taking Benadryl everyday and was still so itchy. About ready to go nuts I researched and researched things to try. Into week 3 with the hives I started taking Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 and drinking green tea everyday. Took a Zyrtec one morning and my hives were cleared by evening. I have been taking 1 a day for 3 days now and I'm hive free..feeling great.”

naomi96 June 9, 2013

“I've had dermatographism or chronic urticaria for about 1 yr before I started taking Zyrtec. I started taking Zyrtec in January and now I forgot I even have the skin problem! When I first tried this product, the side effects made me extremely sleepy and thirsty. It dried my body out. But the side effects went away after prolonged use. Now I feel like a normal person!”

JGofCalifornia August 19, 2014

“The feeling of being on fire started when I was 17 and the daily attacks didn't stop until I found Cetirizine HCL (Zyrtec) some 5 years ago. I'm now 50 I take a tablet every morning and I'm good. For me it's a miracle pill. ”

brkano April 13, 2015

“I would have a hives outbreak occasionally and went to see an allergist who just told me it had nothing to do with food and to take 1 zyrtec 2 if they were bad. I had an outbreak and they went down but it took awhile to work. I decided to get a second opinion with another allergist who ran tests and finally told me to take a zyrtec everday for life. He said if I felt an outbreak wanting to come to take a second one. I am happy to report this has actually worked I have gone 7 months with no hives outbreak! It feels wonderful to have my life back without worries of an outbreak! Please talk to your doctor about this recommendation my allergist gave me, I hope it helps someone out there. :)”

55Epi Deb April 22, 2013

“I just started Zyrtec 10 mg one week ago for allergies. I have been plagued by intense palm itching with various other areas, arms, ankles, legs which develops into hives. I am happy to say...GONE NOW! Thank goodness! It was maddening and my doctor never got excited about it! So happy now!”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 25, 2013

“I've had chronic urticaria for over 2 years now, and out of all the allergy medicines, Zyrtec works the best. My hives have become much harder to manage in the past year, so I need to take twice the Zyrtec I used to, but it still works much better than Allegra or Claritin for me.”

emmmmmies February 1, 2018

“I’m giving zyrtec a 2 rating because the only good thing about it is it gets the job done (for the most part). I was diagnosed with chronic idiopathic urticaria two summers ago, and the only thing that popped up on my allergy blood tests was an low level of thyroid hormones. I was then also diagnosed with hashimotos, which later turned into hypothyroidism. I’m stuck taking zyrtec everyday, and if I try to get off, or miss a dose, I’m covered in hives and my eyes, lips and face are swollen.I cannot for the life of me get off of zyrtec. Please consider safer drugs that your body won’t become dependent on! I’m trapped.”

Cindy O. August 6, 2014

“My husband has been having hive outbreaks which seem to have gotten progressively more severe over the last 8 months. His doctor has been changing medications trying to find the source. Husband is on blood pressure and statins. Benadryl is not as effective anymore plus taking it every six hours makes him sleep all the time. I am so glad I found this website! Talked with doctor about trying one of these antihistamine treatments and she agreed. It has worked! No more hives! Fantastic! He has a life again. Who knew that a 10mg pill could make such a difference.”

Kathoncamano · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 20, 2014

“I have had hives a few times now. I just got done with a horrible case from penicillin. Took prednisone for several days. Some hives appear in the morning. Now I control with one Zyrtec per day. It works for me. No side effects. Great product.”

ZyrtecRocks August 3, 2016

“Had hives nearly every day for 3 weeks (at first I thought I was getting bug bites). Went to the Doc and she told me to try Zyrtec. Last night was the first time in 3 weeks I've been hives and itch-free. It's amazing. I just wish I could find out what's causing the outbreaks!”

Worried Mother November 1, 2009

“I've had hives 4 times now. The last time they lasted 1 entire year. Nothing worked. My allergist said that the doctors had failed miserably at keeping me comfortable during my ordeal. I tried Zertec this time. My hives are totally gone. My skin crawls and tingles when it is about time for another dose, but the new dose takes care of it. No complaints at all. I do have crazy dreams, but that is a small price to pay in exchange for no itching, etc.”

allhivedout August 15, 2016

“my bf had hives for 3 weeks. more often than not. claritan did really nothing. Allegra nothing. benedryl helped some. I was scared he'd have a anaphylaxis reaction. I bought him vit. c, b, d, quercitin, probiotic. a dao enzyme. and nothing was working great. today is Monday 611 pm. he started zyrtec sat at 11am. he has red huge hives on his back and legs and arms . well I'm happy to say...the zyrtec seems to be working.. they are gone. we've even eating normal and he's even had a couple of drinks. also he's taking pepcid. but it's been over two days of no hives. I think the zyrtec is a miracle.”

GmWatkins July 12, 2017

“I recently had testing for chronic urticaria with Hashimoto (with normal thyroid levels). And came out positive which means I have to deal with hives and swelling. At first I was only taking Benadryl but it only put me to sleep and wake up with the same symptom. So my specialist suggested I take one zyrtec a day, but I was still having symptoms two times a week (remind you I was having hives and swelling every single day from morning to night) so even though I was having symptoms 2 times a week it was a relief but I was looking for a complete relief. So then again my specialist suggested instead of taking one 10g Zyrtec pill I would move on to taking two 10g Zyrtec pills a day. And thankfully it has changed my life! I Don't get drowsy!”

Gailfsu · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2015

“Zyrtec never helped my runny nose or itchy eyes but it eliminated about 90 percent of my hives, and for me, that might as well be a hundred percent. My hives came on gradually and worsened over the years. It got to the point where my skin burned and itched pretty much 24/7. When I started taking Zyrtec regularly I noticed immediate improvement. Before I had just assumed my post shave rash was normal but now I know it was my hives response.”

Craig7777 September 19, 2017

“I was diagnosed with Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria 3 months ago. I have dermographism, where my skin itches during the day, and if I scratch it, I get terrible red patches on my body which stay for an hour or two and looks terrible. I tried every single second generation antihistamine and non of them helped. Zyrtec finally gave me the relief I wanted. I take one pill in the morning with no side effects and I almost don't feel any itch during the day. Since I don't itch, I don't need to scratch myself and don't get hives. I give 8 starts because it doesn't completely cure CIU, but it helps me to manage my symptoms.”

The Phoenix · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 4, 2020

“I have been using Zyrtec for about a year now for my allergies and hives. I have gotten no relief from my allergies or the hives when taking Zyrtec, basically it does nothing for me at all. I was even told by my doctor during an allergy attack to take it twice a day and I still got no relief.”

AllergySufferer March 14, 2012

“As someone who uses Zyrtec as one of 2 primary treatments (The other being Benadryl.) I can vouch that Zyrtec gets the job done as described. 24 hours of itch free and low-drowsiness is very suitable for me. If you are someone having withdrawals from Zyrtec then you don't take it right. It only occurs when your body needs the Zyrtec in order for your brain to be chemically balanced. This usually occurs if you take it based on a schedule rather then when you notice your real symptoms. If you listen to your doctor and/or the label, then you will be like me as someone who is happy to be symptom free.”

Ozjan · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2015

“After travelling to Japan in Sep 2015 and having ,enjoying with tremendous quantity of sea food sasimi, BBQ Wangyu beef and wonderful cheese cake , I woke up next morning with hives literally covered my both front arms outer parts and partially between shoulder and neck. Never experienced previously with allergic reaction in my life ( btw I am 52y/o) After doing intensive checkup, blood tests, etc., etc., and more etc. finally one of the brilliant Doctor gave me the Zyrtec. I have been taking (one a day) for 2 weeks. I still don't know (my doctor either) what triggered these ugly hives but eventually all disappeared and gone to hell. I highly recommend. I agree about side effects especially causing impair my thinking.”

Rothive March 1, 2016

“I had first hive outbreak at age 63, off and one, lasting for a year. I visited the allergy doctor once and was advised to "enjoy life more and don't do too much! It could be stress-related". I did not take any medicine. Then for one and half a year, I was fine. For the recent 3 months, I have been suffering from the second chronic hive outbreak. They are acting up on my face, lips, eyes, and face which are new and more severe symptoms. At the same time, my older son had the same outbreak and has been taking Zyrtec daily by his doctor's recommendation. I have been asking a total of 13 pills from him. Firstly I took one a day for 4 days. They were very effective on me. Each pill can stop the hives for 3 days.”

Hiveygirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2019

“I began with getting a swollen lip one day, then the next day it was a part of my lip that was swollen. Then came the hives episodes. No blood test could figure it out for me. I just gave up. Until my dr. Said to take 2 zyrtec in the morning and 2 at night when they are really bad. Then take one in the morning one at night. This has saved my sanity. I don't get more than the occasional single hive once every few days with a strict zyrtec regimen.”

TheBeeHive November 20, 2015

“52 y/o Well I have had hives for 2 almost 3 weeks now on my face scalp neck..cause undermined and I never had them before. I was put on pred-Metra-soul pack that I quit due to the extreme side effects. A sedative. I used a heap of ear and eye drops. Was taking Benadryll. I just wanted to claw my skin off..the welts were painful and then became HORRIBLY insanely itchy. One or three would go away only to be replaced by 4, eyes and even ears swelled shut. Tried Zertec after 3rd doc visit. Felt good! ITCHING STOPPED..still some swelling around one eye but given how bad it was this is like a miracle. Just took a second one today and tho still a LITTLE residual swelling- 95% better. NO SIDE EFFECTS either. This drug is a god send”

frustratedgirl November 15, 2008

“I have had cholinergic urticaria for a few years now. I break out into hives when I start exerting myself physically or it's hot. After taking Zyrtec 1/2 an hour before my workout, I didn't experience that irritating itchy feeling all over nor did I get hives. My skin got red but no bumps. I don't care as long as I don't get the irritation which works to create an aversion to exercise. I took a 5 mg dosage. After my workout, I went to sleep at 7 p.m., woke up for an hour and then went to bed at 9 p.m. only to sleep the whole following day. I was unusually fatigued and sleepy. I'm going to try 2.5 mg today to see if that helps.”

Anonymous February 10, 2011

“I suffer from acute symptoms of psoriasis and Keibners phenomenon with severe itching. I also have asthma, coughing constantly. I'm newly diagnosed with psoriasis so I couldn't figure out what was going on with the severe itching and what was triggering my rashes. After seeing 5 other doctors, I went to an allergist and he suggested to take Zyrtec. I didn't think it would help but it really does. It doesn't cause me drowsiness but it wears off after 12 hrs and my itching from psoriasis comes back. My rheumatologist suggested to take one in the morning and one at night. It helps with the severe itching. It stops my coughing as well.”

Jppp December 29, 2017

“I suffer from chronic hives. Zyrtec doesn't really help anything at all. I've had hives everyday for 2 years until my doctor told me about a shot called XOLAIR. I take 2 shots per month and it made my hives completely go away. I was on the shots for about a year. After 1 and a half years, my hives came back. I'm already in the process to go back on the shots again. I really recommend anyone with chronic hives to ask about XOLAIR.”

Learn more about Urticaria