User Reviews for Xolair

Learn more about Xolair.

Xolair Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 68 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Xolair to treat Asthma, Maintenance

"I was diagnosed with asthma & allergies 15 yrs ago. I am now 65. In the beginning b4 Zolair injections, my asthma would act up & I would cough 4 weeks until I had such a sore throat, broken blood vessels around my eyes & was just miserable. Around 7 yrs ago, my Dr recommended I start Zolair injections every 2 wks. What a difference, like nite & day. I don't have any side effects either. I seldom have asthma flare ups & very little allergy problems. I still use an inhaler morn & nite & carry a rescue inhaler w me, which I seldom use. What a life saver Zolair injections has bn. I have my life back."

Lendy Lee March 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have just received my 4th Xolair shot. I get them every two weeks. While I do think the shot is making a difference I am also discovering I am having some common side affects. Apparently I am getting dehydrated and have some dizziness. Anyone else have side effects and how long did they last? I was so concerned with the possibility of an anaphylactic reaction I did not catch that I was experiencing common side effects."

FCHebert (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have severe allergic asthma. After two hospitalizations for pneumonia, asthma attacks, anaphylaxis, chronic sinus infections following a childhood of allergy shots, as a young adult I needed constant medication to battle endless infections and hives. With allergy meds (I've tried them all), steroids and typical asthma meds, I had still become dependent on a nebulizer, every 4 hours. After years of struggle, I was actually getting worse working downtown Houston. Xolair changed my life! I went from a sickly, declining 28-year-old to a normal person, requiring nothing else but Benedryl during the spring. I have been taking it for 12 years, including a healthy pregnancy after the first year."

CamiGold (taken for 10 years or more) January 29, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I developed allergies in my 30s and then asthma. Within 5 years the asthma and allergies became severe, having anaphylaxis and systemic reactions to medicines and foods, while inhalents caused severe asthma reactions. I saw 6. Allergy specialists and I was told there wasn't anything else they could do. I had an anaphylactic reaction to both allergy skin testing and an allergy immunolytics therapy injection. Finally in 2008 an allergist recommended xolair. After 4 months I noticed the seasonal allergies and number of asthma issues decreased. I haven't had an anaphylactic reaction since 2010. I now just take Allegra daily and live a regular life."

Davielee (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 6, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking xolair for 5 years now. It is an amazing medicine. I only have one fully developed lung so I had asthma pretty bad. I am also allergic to elm trees so I would get hives and itching alot when I was outside. No more trips to er anymore and I can go outside and not have to wear jackets in summer due to the trees giving me hives. I have had no side effects so far. All I know is this drug works for me. It has changed my life."

Rebecca M (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 5, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Awful...was on it for 3 months made my asthma worse...I think if your ige levels are lower than 700 than maybe it could work, but for me mine were so high it didnt. Luckily I didn't have enough to pay buy it cost 10k a mo and I had to spend every other week at the dr"

Hnb (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had tried everything. I had been on steroids 15 times in one year. I had been taken from work twice by ambulance from asthma attacks. Hospitalized from asthma attacks. Nothing was working. I couldn't do anything. I could hardly be outside at all. I couldn't go to my grandson's baseball games or anything. Depression was getting worse all the time. Since I started on Zolair I have not been on steroids,no trips to hospital and I went to every single baseball game of my grandson( even double headers). This has been life changing. I would love to tell everyone!!!"

Vickie Hardesty August 9, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"February 2013 I woke up 6 days later in ICU and the nurse pulling a long tube out of my mouth (incubated). I lost 6 days of my life due to respiratory failure from an acute asthma attack. So here I am 3 years later have been on Xolair which has changed my world completely. I have not used my neubulizer machine and occasionally use my inhaler but I travel weekly for work. I am a 57 years of age, female and love animals and the outdoors. As far as side effects there are muscle pains but I would rather know that I can breathe and not be on steroids and other maintenance meds. My husbands peace of mind he makes sure that I do not miss injections. Make sure you check out all financial options for Xolair assistance."

Candyjo April 3, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is my second time I have been on this medication. I was on it about 5 years ago for severe asthma and had to stop because of cost and insurance not covering it. I went from a 42% lung capacity to 65% in just about 6 months I felt great and over about 3 years I started to decline again. I started back thanks to better insurance and the co-pay assistance and feel a lot better. My lung capacity still is not great but I have gone from using my rescue inhaler several times a day to using it only about once every few weeks. So far I have been lucky enough to not have any side effects. I highly recommend it but be sure you get the co-pay assistance in place before starting it."

Robh80 March 16, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been in this injection since August 2014. It really has improved my quality of life. Before it, I was in and out of the doctors or ER every week. But now I rarely need to go because of this medication. I have tried so many different medicines and this is the only one that worked for me. It's scary when you see your lung function decreasing over time But xolair has given me hope. I get the shot every 2 weeks. Sometimes the side effects suck, muscle weakness and extreme fatigue but it's better then not breathing"

Jcoop (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking this injection monthly for 9 years and have been extremely happy with the way it's improved my quality of life. I use my rescue inhaler less and I need prednisone courses very infrequently. Although I try hard to be regimented about getting my shot, I forget to schedule the appt. and/or the delivery to my doctor's office. My body can tell when it's ready for the next one. I feel badly for the person who's posted with such hostility on here about it not working for him/her. It's a godsend for me and many other severe asthmatics."

Jim in NYC February 16, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Got sick (flu) or so I thought. I went to work. Went home, next morning could barely walk. I went to urgent care got a wheelchair. Doc said I had bad asthma attack. Admitted me in hospital for a while. Seen a pulmonologist, who suggested I try Xolair. That was over 2 years ago, it changed my life. I get shots every 2 weeks.."

Kingbilly December 30, 2015

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hello. I've had asthma since childhood 57 years old my asthma attacks were so bad tried everything. My allergist suggested xolair. My asthma is under control. I feel great regular injections twice a week. I thank my Dr and xolair if your asthma is bad give a try. God bless"

Enrique g November 14, 2015

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"As my Conditions are unstable an rare..Professor's have never seen anything like me..Episode's started early January 2013 in serious effects leading me in to icu in September 2013..Since then l've had every test under the sun and they are still no closer to finding out why l have theses episodes..So they decided to put me on the Xolair Injection but they said, "this may not work " its trial and error with you..So l'm due for my 3rd injection on the 8th October. .l have to stay at the Hospital up to 3 hrs per injection. .l've had episodes on this injection. .l don't like the side affects so this will be my last injection. ."

Hallu (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2015

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It works! I used to pray for something to help me-Xolair answered my prayers!I started in March 2015 and the 1st shot my nose cleared. Since then each shot was a journey. I was on Prednisone too often and April August September usually meant using the nebulizer prednisone & hoping I wouldn't go to the hospital. Walking from family room to kitchen was challenging,walking my dog-no way! I now am taking my dog out 4Xday.Also I want to do more things. My allergist never told me about Xolair, I found out on Internet! Please try it as it is lifechanging! Good Luck!"

Anonymous September 24, 2015

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this medication on and off for the last 6 years. The only reason I didn't take it the whole time was because I was pregnant twice and insurance issues the other time. When I'm not on this medication I can't even so much as look at a cat or dog. I have not had to take oral steroids monthly like I used too, only now maybe once a year with I get a cold or flu. I was so restricted in what I could do before I took xolair, now I can go to the gym or play with the kids just fine. I would recommend to anyone who has asthma and is allergic to an animal."

KelseyB (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 20, 2015

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"What a waste of time and money! Are the contributors on this site really patients and not Genentech plants? No help with asthma, phlegm after 5 shots at $3000 each, big pharma just printing money with these drugs."

Rich52264 May 3, 2015

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had one injection then three days later I thought - something is different. I can breathe! Checked my peak flow meter and it is up 45 points. Hurray. Can't wait for my next injection."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2015

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very useful for treating severe to mild asthma! Highly recommended!"

Selena Perezila May 14, 2014

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Xolair is life-changing. I was diagnosed with severe allergic asthma 35 years ago. While I still take regular maintenance medicines in addition to a steroid inhaler, Xolair had allowed me to give up my nebulizer and has turned of the allergic rhinitis faucet in my head. At the time of my last injection I was wheezing slightly (residual symptoms from a three week battle with bronchitis). Within 15 minutes of the injection the wheezing had stopped and I was breathing easier. I've taken Xolair since 2005 without any adverse reaction. My symptoms are better controlled with Xolair than at any time in my life. Truly a miracle."

Anon909 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 24, 2013

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is only my first shot. I was very symptomatic the morning of the shot - phlegm, restricted breathing, swelling of appendages, face, neck & throat, redness, burning (had idiopathic anaphylaxis/asthma). Twenty minutes after the shot I suddenly felt an unusual open feeling in my sinuses, and my phlegm was gone. I could take an unrestricted breath for the first time in years. I noticed my sore throat, the burning, much of my swelling, and redness was gone. My eyes were wide and white and I guess weren't swollen because I could focus. I left feeling elated. But driving I began to feel fatigued coupled with bursts of energy, some dizziness and strange mental activity. I didn't feel safe driving and canceled work. "

HeidiFaye (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2013

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Xolair injections for about a year now. My Family doctor suggested that we try it because for the past 12 years I had such bad reactions to dust, mold and any animal. After years of the typical allergy shots at the Drs. office, and having reactions from them, face swelling, throat shutting off, using the Epipen, it was a weekly thing. Going to the grocery store and praying that the person in line did not have a cat at home, yikes! Well, Xolair is AMAZING! My family doctor "diagnosed me with Asthma" so I could get this medication. Though I only have asthma from the allergies, This medicine REALLY WORKS! Thank you for giving my life back! I can go all month now without an Epipen injection!"

Tweeks (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2013

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have have had far fewer Asthma attacks and allergies since being on Xolair injections every 2 wks and have become a lot less dependent on my rescue inhaler. I've on this medicine for at least 4 yrs and have had no adverse effects and I highly recommend it...it has changed my life."

susan_2009 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 11, 2013

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In May 2006 my breathing had gradually declined to 47% of normal over a period of two years for the FEV 1 test. Nothing my allergist was able to do would turn things around for me. He suggested we try this pretty new medicine. My improvement did not occur immediately, but every month as we measured my lung function it improved by 2 to 5 percent. By the end of that summer I was feeling much, much better and by the end of a years I was up to 77% of normal. Xolair has changed my life and I am able to walk, camp outdoors, play golf and continue many activities and hobbies I had dropped. I even sleep through the night without waking and gasping for air. Use rescue inhaler much less. The improvement has lasted. I take 375 mg every 2 weeks."

BigBirdFrank January 8, 2013

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine is a miracle, it has changed my life completely. Before Xolair I was being admitted to hospital via ambulance every 6-7 days, with ICU admissions, without this medicine I would not be alive today, as there was nothing else that would help. I have tried everything going, every attack via ambulance they were injecting me with adrenaline until they got me to hospital. "

michlle jessup (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 13, 2012