User Reviews for Xolair to treat Urticaria

Xolair has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 94 ratings for the treatment of Urticaria. 67% of those users who reviewed Xolair reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Xolair Rating Summary

7.6/10 average rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Urticaria.

Reviews for Xolair

Aida · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2021

“I've had chronic urticaria for 6 months now. They started soon after my flu shot although my first allergist said it's not possible. Whatever! I tried everything including 4 Allegra a day, Singulair, Pepcid, Doxepin, Xyzal and the dreaded Prednisone. One trip to ER because of anaphylaxis. I am miserable. My new allergist started me on Xolair. Just got my 2nd dose and honestly after each dose, I flared up worse than when on my daily regimen of antihistamines. I am still waiting for my miracle. Unfortunately, I am experiencing back pain and knee pain. Although I do suffer with pain already, this pain is much worse and constant. I am not using a cane to get up when I sit down. Walking and standing are issues as well. Let me know if anyone else is experiencing same issues.”

LB March 19, 2021

“I had severe hives, all over my body for 4 months, before starting Xolair treatments. The hives started clearing up within a week of receiving my first dose. I have a few days of headache, fatigue, feeling feverish- after the injections. It's 100% worth it, though.”

dinler44 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2021

“Works very well for chronic hives. As a treatment I rate it a "9". With the first two injections I saw immediate improvement. For cost I rate it a "1". The monthly co-pay for the prescription with Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO is $2273.54 thru the Walgreens Alliance RX pharmacy the BCBS policy requires us to use. The co-pay does not apply to my annual total out of pocket limit. Physician's service for administering the injections is not included in the co-pay billing for the prescription. $27,282.48 annually as a co-pay for Xolair is out of reach of the majority of Americans, including me. While it has significantly improved my health, I have to discontinue using Xolair due to cost. Blue Cross Blue Shield does not cover Xolair. Check with your insurance company before considering using”

IHateHives · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2020

“I am getting my 6th shot next week. There is good news then bad! My first month I was tapering off of prednisone so I wasn’t sure if XOLAIR was working. 2nd month it did nothing, and then finally half way through month 3 my hives went away!!! Only if I continued to take antihistamines. It’s almost like it “activated” the antihistamines that hadn’t worked before. At the end of the month I would notice maybe 6 - 10 hives show up like it was “wearing off”, but that was nothing compared to 500+ before. Then I had my 5th shot, and started getting VERY bad hives again. The antihistamines slightly work, but the XOLAIR just STOPPED working like it did in month 3/4? I am currently waiting for approval for the 450mg dosage, and I hope XOLAIR starts working again! Has anyone had this experience? I will keep checking back to see if anyone has a similar story!”

J · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 10, 2020

“Xolair is honestly a miracle drug for me. I had been experiencing full body hives (autoimmune urticaria) for months and I had reached my breaking point as no antihistamine worked. Then came Xolair. It took some time to work so you have to be patient but once it did, my quality of life dramatically improved. I no longer experience hives although I can tell when it is wearing off because I will start to itch a bit ( nowhere close to what my hives were like before). I receive monthly injections.”

Mello · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2020

“I was skeptical since I was on 2 zyrtec, 1 allegra, 2 hydroxyzine, and topical steroid cream for hives. I tested negative for all the allergens through skin and blood testing, so no one knew what the problem was. By the second injection my hives stopped and it became a lot easier to breathe (didn't know I had breathing issues). I love Xolair, I do need it upped to 2 times a month since it works for about 3 weeks for me, but I really am happy I no longer am a blob of hives.”

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2020

“I've been suffering from chronic urticaria for half a year with daily breakouts. Different parts of my body were always covered with lesions. I was on 3 different antihistamines and tried steroid therapy for a couple of months with no success. I was on the edge of depression because of constant pain and itch. I had my first 300mg shots a week ago and now my urticaria just disappeared. Had headache and fatigue the day after the shot but that was it. This drug was a miracle for me, changed my quality of life and, for the time being, no major side effects. I will have a better overall idea after six months I guess and I will be back with more comments.”

Grateful · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 15, 2020

“Grateful here I first posted after I was on xolair for 3 months I am so happy to say 8 months later I love xolair I have no side effects I get an occasional hive here and there no full-blown skin rashes anymore. I feel for anyone out there who is suffering from skin conditions there is help out there you just got to find the right doctor took me 8 years. And find a doctor who will really listen to you. I also want to mention I also am on allergy shots for my allergist found things I didn't know I was allergic to so together with the xolair I have my life back. Don't give up.”

Moe · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 14, 2018

“Suffered from chronic urticuria for 2 yrs. Was MISERABLE!! STARTED XOLAIR 1.5 yrs ago. Hives are GONE. BUT I feel I have severe side effects. Body pain so bad I can't function. I'm a very active person...generally..... Now I can barely get up to pee in the middle of the night!!!!! Anyone out there with the same problem????”

rajf91 June 11, 2020

“I have been on Xolair for 2 years next month, I have had months with no hives and some flares in between. I get 150 mg in each arm every four weeks . I know I have had some side effects, even though the allergist disagrees with me . But I have worked through them and the benefits are worth taking even though there are a lot of risks. I was hoping to be off all the antihistamines and prescription Singulair by now but still having to take them all with the Xolair . I don't know how much longer I can stay on the Xolair, my worry is what will happen to me once it is stopped, I worry will go back to being covered in hives again . I cannot go back to that , I have had a very much better quality of life by taking the Xolair”

Jewels1984 January 1, 2015

“I have had 8 Xolair injections for Chronic Urticaria Autoimmune and I am thrilled it took four shots to get me off prednisone and to be hive free. I one by one removed all the other medicines. I HIGHLY recommend Xolair.”

hihosilver August 13, 2015

“I have been living with chronic debilitating hives with angioedema for over 30 years! After my first injection of Xolair I have been almost virtually free of hives for 1 yr and 1 month! I got a few hives once and got another injection and they were gone. It has changed my life completley! No weight gain. Just a bit more tired than I use to be but that is fine with me. I can bike and do 1000 more things than I could ever do with hives. The pain was ungodly and I don't know how I lived that way and hope I never have to again,”

Gratefull · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 31, 2019

“After 8 years 5 dermatologist thousands of dollars my prayers have been answered with xolair . It has changed my life my skin no longer decides what I'm going to wear if I'm going to go out if I can plan a vacation I never thought I'd see the day where I didn't itch all over my body and cry myself to sleep. I am so grateful to the allergist who put me on this medication so far it is working for me I feel truly blessed it has been a long eight years I've missed out on so much by hiding especially in the summer trying to hide my arms I have worn a sleeveless shirt more in the past five months than I have in the last 8 years and it's winter time. I will post monthly on how I am doing and I wish I could thank personally whoever makes it possible to get this shot with a $5 copay I am truly grateful.”

KayCee71 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2014

“After suffering for 8 years with my body exploding into itchy & painful hives & occasionally going into anaphylaxis, my immunologist screened me last year to start on Xolair for Autoimmune Chronic Urticaria, Angioedema, Anaphylaxis. I've been on bi-weekly shots since the start of this year. All I can say is that is a MIRACLE medication! I'm no longer mutating into a monster with head to toe hives, swollen eyes & lips, gasping for air & praying the Epi-Pens do their job before I die. Having been on corticosteroids for so long, I blew up like a parade float & started to have problems with bone degeneration & cataracts. 2 weeks after getting my initial injection; I said farwell to steroids!!! HUZZAH! Loving my life once again. :)”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 23, 2020

“2 years ago I was diagnosed with ciu - Chronic idopathic urticaria - which made my life miserable holding my ice pack all day long every where I go till my doctor introduced my to xolair injection. I got relief instantly. I get 2 shot 150mg every 4 to 6 weeks I'm so blessed this medicine has worked for me.”

Kel · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 29, 2019

“18 years of urticaria & 18 years of daily prednisone. I tried every drug under the sun & absolutely nothing worked (except steroids) until I found Xolair. I can’t begin to explain how this drug has changed my life!”

Fay · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 19, 2020

“Ive been suffering for 18 yrs with this crazy hives I did all the pills to I'm still taking 1 Zyrtec a day, one Singulair a day, 150mg xolair shot a month I'm clean and clear and thank God. Finally after many years of misery I thought I was the only person out there suffering. The shot has been a miracle for me but I do agree with with the sugar cravings and weight gain. I have to diet and watch what I eat all the time so I don't blow up but I'm very grateful for the shot it has changed my life back to normal”

Hives_Nightmare February 10, 2016

“I have had daily hives from June 2015 until October 2015, Despite prednisone and mega dose of Anti-Histamine, my hives kept coming every single day. I started xolair in October 2015 and took my first 150 ml shot in October 30, 2015, then In November27, 2015 and then in December 23, 2015. Unfortunately after my 3rd shot and on Christmas day, my hives came back with vengeance and I kept having them daily. The in January 13, 2016, I took 2 shots (300 ml) and still nothing. My hives have been getting worse on a daily basis. I am due for 2 shots next week again. I hope it will work out. Did anyone experience that? Xolair works for couple months then stopped working? Do you think it will work again after few more shots?”

Tired June 19, 2020

“Am female now 56 Had experienced chronic Urticaria Lasting a few months probably 3 times over approx 20years. The episodes occurred & disappeared on their own. However 2 years ago, it came again & tried the Zyrtec benadryls Zantac etc, only had relief with Prednisone. Eventually got approved for the monthly Xolair & have been going into hospital monthly for 2x150mg injections into the stomach. My concern was when do I stop taking these injections given the hives may go away, have been gradually delaying my injection by a week each cycle & have noticed that By week 8 a small amount of hives start to appear. I know the discomfort of severe hives so very reluctant to stop injections in fear of it returning but I am now starting to have severe knee pain & struggle to lift myself when I kneel down . Other Recent issue has been Redness/ rosacea on face which I now take different medication for & am unsure if it’s related to the Xolair. Anybody else experiencing this?”

HivesBgone · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2014

“I have had CIU for over 13 years without remission. Horrible, painful, debilitating hives that grow for days before receding. I've never gone more than a couple of days without at least one hive, despite mega-doses of antihistamines and other doctor recommended medications. I'd tried it all! I received my first injection of Xolair 26 days ago and have not had one single hive! This medicine is, so far, the miracle I have been hoping and searching for, for 13 long years!”

Hive patient · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 16, 2015

“This medicine saved my life! All of a sudden at the age of 39 I was covered in hives on a daily basis for months. Antihistamines and steroids didn't do the trick and I was miserable. Within 2 months of being on this I am completely hive free. I wouldn't be able to function without it. Love it!”

JennyTalksDrugs May 14, 2014

“This has been a miracle for me, and I truly hope that it can help others! For the past two years, I've had chronic refractory idiopathic urticaria, nonresponsive to antihistamines and with angioedema. Four months ago, I began an omalizumab treatment course of 300 mg every 4 weeks. Within days of the first injection, I immediately noticed a huge decrease in the redness, size, and swelling of the hives, and since then, I've noticed a gradual reduction in the symptoms. I've been hive-free for almost a full month now. The only downside: without insurance, this is extremely expensive. But for me, I consider it absolutely worth it.”

Allergic to everything December 21, 2016

“It seemed to be working but after ,10 Months and 20 injections, I suffered a severe allergic reaction.Apparantly you can develop a hypersensitivity to the injections,which can cause this.In doing extensive research this is much more common then 1 in a ,1000 people as reported by manufacturer,it is more like ,1 in every 100 people.I was one of those people and have suffered considerable.I have been ill since my last injections on March 31,2016. Was hospitalized 3 times and I am sicker then before using injections. Please research this medication in depth first! I question the safety of this medication!”

Americanvet63 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 28, 2019

“Prior to starting Xolair a little over 1 year ago, I have had chronic hives for 18 years. More days with than without hives. Swelling of face, lips, eyes, hands and feet. Hospitalized several times. In ER at least 10 times a year. Zolaire ended all of that. A small manageable flair ups infrequently. No side effects whatsoever. This medicine has restored my quality of life as well as my sanity. I no longer feel as if my hives will one day kill me if a hospital isn't nearby. Thank you makers of Zolaire!”

CK · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 22, 2020

“Xolair has changed my life for the better and I have been asymptomatic since starting monthly injections. I had chronic idiopathic urticaria (CIU) and angioedema for the past 20 years. I had been trying high doses of antihistamines, NSAIDs, acupuncture, basically anything to stop the itching and swelling. At one point, I was put on prednisone, only to have the CIU come back after tapering off. Then I worked with the doctor to test Xolair. It has worked amazingly well. I get injections once a month and for the most part am asymptomatic. I have no side effects. Sometimes before an injection, I will have itching, but the next injection quickly alleviates symptoms. Xolair has been transformative at changing my quality of life. I am so much happier and healthier now.”

Sandy A · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 5, 2015

“I had CIU for a year and half before my first Xolair shot. For six months, I never went a day without hives, experienced the lip swelling and face swelling once (never want that experience again). I was told by my allergist that I had exhausted all types of therapy so Xolair was my last and only option. My first shot was in January, three days later I was hive free. I took monthly shots for 6 months, no hives so we decided to try 6 weeks between shots, no hives. It is August now - no hives! Yes it is expensive but not being covered with hives from my head to my toes makes that worth it. I would agree that it has made me gain about 10 pounds and I workout just about every day. I look like I am pregnant but not ready to give up yet.”

Ray July 20, 2019

“I've been taking it for a year now and still going, it is a miracle . It helped me with asthma, urticaria, redness andall over my body rashes..! Thank goodness for it. But I’m always in joint pain!! Should I take anything for it.”

Locust Lady · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

“When I read Itchyallover’s review, it was as if I'd written it myself. It took effect 2 weeks before the 5th injection, but 10 days later it stopped. The clinic nurse said it often wears off a few days before the next one is due. It took effect again 3 days after the 5th injection but I've already had two bouts of CIU since then. I can’t rely on Xolair yet, that’s why I gave it a 6. I'm due for my 6th injection in 10 days & I’ll review again if things improve. Only acupuncture plus a Chinese bitter herb drink twice a day has kept me sane. I avoid all dairy products, reduced sugar, & only drink green tea or water. Like “Itchyallover”, I have run through all my savings for acupuncture 3 times a week & the cost of herbs. I also take Warfarin, so I can’t take Prednisone. Give me the pain of every surgery I’ve ever had (ten), than 1 hour of itching; it reminds me of a biblical plague. My daughter describes it as "a plague of locusts - under the skin"! There has been some research showing patients with chronic urticaria have low vitamin D levels and studies show taking high doses Vitamin D3 can reduce it, some research on it the study is "Relationship between vitamin D and chronic spontaneous urticaria: a systematic review"”

Learn more about Urticaria