User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lorazepam.

Dysautonomia

Cervical Dystonia
7.5

Summary of Lorazepam reviews 8.6 636 reviews

Reviews for Lorazepam

For Insomnia: "Have been taking .5mg for a few years. Used to wake up at 1 or 2a.m. with all the lights on, so to speak. Am a stem cell recipient because of leukemia. Originally blamed it all on other prescription drugs I was on, especially immunosuppresents. But as I have been slowly removed from all these other meds, I still was experiencing middle of night sleeplessness. Have occasionally tried a full 1mg pill but saw no difference. The .5 mg dose does just fine for me. Remember, in most states it is considered a controlled substance, so DO NOT drive until 8 hours after using"

bill.b January 13, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed Ativan for panic attacks due to anxiety, and it has worked wonderfully well. After trying many different antidepressants and seeing no results, my doctor prescribed me 1mg Ativan for use as needed. As soon as I feel a panic attack coming on, I take a tablet - within 10 minutes, I start to feel calm, safe and relaxed. It’s a tremendously useful “emergency stop” button for panic attacks. The idea of having a medication that can stop a panic attach should one come on allows me to feel safe and relaxed throughout the day."

Yikes-111 January 12, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "Very helpful for panic attacks. I suffer from a lot of dissociation (depersonalization and derealization) from panic and generalized anxiety and ativan at 0.5mg-1mg is the only thing that brings me back down. I'm also on an SSRI but ativan is really the only thing that will get rid of my dissociation and calm me down. Panic attacks are a living hell for those who suffer from them and I am so thankful I have something that takes me out of this living hell. Definitely not ashamed of having to take medication. Please, don't be ashamed of taking something that helps you and keeps you healthy. No one should have to live with the constant fear and hell that panic and depersonalization/derealization brings."

anyonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam) for Panic Disorder: "I found most of the benzodiazepines effective against panic disorder. However, Ativan had a very strong amnesia inducing effect that caused me problems. While they all had amnesia effects at various dosages, Ativan really messed with my memory at therapeutic doses of 1-3 mg a day. I frequently found I had done bizarre things on Ativan. I found my car in a neighbors garage, for example, but had woken up in my own house. It’s a bit comical now, but could have been tragic. I had much more stable results with Klonopin."

MajorMojo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2017

For Anxiety: "It’s much better than any other benzodiazepine, it causes I think less dependence and it’s so effective for anxiety, panic disorder. For insomnia perhaps it’s good with another coming along with. I really recommend it. I have tried other ones before and with diazepam and this one it’s the best."

Huligan100ee (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "Started taking Ativan a few weeks ago and have noticed a decrease in my anxiety. I can also sleep a bit better"

Frodofrodo baggins December 8, 2017

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed Loraxapam about 5 yrs ago for anxiety & panic disorders that just started out of the blue - well the panic attack did - then the anxiety came afert was so frightening! . My doctor put me on three 1mg tabs three times a day to start with...and I sure needed them. I did have this problem for a couple months then..not being one who likes taking med and through other counselling help recommended by doc I was able to go between 1-3 a day till I eventually got to mostly 1mg at night. I do not believe a 1mg taken at reasonable hr of night can cause you to keep falling asleep during day..however I could be totally wrong. It helps greatly with sleeping as does half a tab also..which I'm down to on occasions only now. I did wean myself from one to 3/4's to half to 1/4 over couple of weeks just to be sensible but I can't say they're more addictive, and I don't believe they're harder on body than I've seen with antidepressants with people. But my caution here is..of course you do have to use along with other helps so you're not dependant on high amounts. I was having a script every so often to have on hand and or so in end to help me wind down and sleep..now I'm fine and probably won't get anymore! I was told doctors don't recommend these so quickly as they don't get the incentives from the drug company for prescribing them, as they do with the newer drugs."

Y.ve (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 26, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "Doctor prescribed ativan super willy-nilly because I've been dealing with panic attacks, and told me to take a 1mg tablet when I need to. Tried a 1mg tablet while panicking, and the effect is just unpleasant. I definitely feel that there are less 'voices' in my head; everything is much more quiet. But I'm also extremely drowsy.. so much so that I doubt I'd be able to take ativan at work (where my anxiety actually occurs). I'm also having strange muscle pains.. just feels like a really lame weed high. I won't try it again."

AmyAmyAmy November 22, 2017

For Anxiety: "About 4 years ago I started having early-morning awakening/insomnia/anxiety after excessive alcohol consumption the night before. Discovered that I could prevent this by taking diazepam my wife had lying around. When this ran out my GP prescribed lorazepam 0.5 mg. Gradually this lost effectiveness (tolerance) so I quit, also cut down on alcohol. A year ago I had a stressful situation and started 0.5 mg daily for a month, but was able to stop again with no side effects. However, my early-morning awakening/insomnia/anxiety had become chronic and independent of alcohol. A month ago I started 0.5 mg daily for 10 days, had a severe withdrawal, had to taper off. So, yes, like others wrote here: it works great, but not for chronic use."

skywheel (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 21, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam) for : "Gave this drug to my Mother around noon, an oral syringe form, she was so severely sedated I was afraid to go out to the post office @ 2:00pm .She could hardly eat around 5:30 , eyes closed, I thought she'd sleep it off. I stayed near her til midnight, at 2:10 am she had passed away.......to this day I wonder what the doctor prescribed this for all she had was a very uncomfortable bed sore."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2017

For Anxiety: "During several years of dealing with a psychotic family member in the home, I was on any number of psych meds. Ativan is the only one that works reliably when dealing with a screaming nutcase on a continuing basis. It's smoothing out the rough patches of the divorce now too. When I am under constant stress, I take 0.5mg 3 times a day. DO NOT discontinue suddenly. Taper off 0.5mg per day or every other day - You want to taper off over at least 5 days."

Somebody Else (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "I have had various SSRI's and etc - nothing worked. Just gone on 2.5mg ativan and feel it has saved my life. Seems I had crippling anxiety without being aware of it, as no panic attacks etc. So there are some people with bad experiences, but do not generalise."

Hummingbird 17 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "I had a nervous breakdown last year. Thought death was imminent and I would go to hell. My psychiatric CNP would not prescribe benzos. I was completely terrified, like a 2 month long panic attack. Went to the ER twice. They gave me ativan and I felt blissful relief. Right back to the terror the next day. I have a prescribing psychologist now who would give it to me if I needed it. But finally got prescribed clonazepam. It was okay but not nearly as good as the ativan. I used it for a while until the morbid dread subsided, had no rebound problems. Maybe if I took it for months on end I would. But nothing but benzos worked for me."

bpmabq (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "Just wanted to share my experience with SSRI's not good ,so I was put on Remeron ,still never took the edge off still had a lot of anxiety and other problems associated with anxiety. I have taken Ativan off an on for about 10 years with no side effects when going off for periods of time.So I consider it one of the better medications to take to get relief from anxiety.So give it a try. Thank you"

Feeling well November 13, 2017

For Anxiety: "Miracle drug for short term use. You get withdrawal problems after u grow a dependence to it. It will be dangerous like alcohol if you stop cold turkey. You have got to tapper off but works really good if u use when u get anxiety"

BobbyLue November 4, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam) for Status Epilepticus: "Was withdrawing from fentanyl heroin and a little bit from suboxone. It takes away most symptoms but xanax and klonopin work better. Ativan works great for anxiety tho. And lasts 6/7 hours for me."

Xannicandi November 2, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam) for Insomnia: "No positive effect!"

ReservedGene (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "Makes me more anxious. Higher doses are worse."

ReservedGene (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2017

For Panic Disorder: "I have chronic anxiety and this has been the only medication I can take that gives me steady nerves yet doesn't make me feel drowsy. I know it can be addictive however, I believe if you are suffering this type of constant anxiety in life and something helps that does not include alcohol which inebriates you, there should not be a problem stay on it. I'd rather be on this for years than turn to alcohol. Physicians and Pharm. should stop the harassment to those of us with PSTD or chronic anxiety. Accusing those on it of selling the drug, just adds to the anxiety. Everyone on Lorazepam is not selling or abusing it. It helps. What more is there to say?"

CCMoonnsong (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 17, 2017

For Insomnia: "I have not put anything on sites like this but really want input. I have been dealing with medical issues for 3 months which required taking meds during the night which disrupted my sleep. My health is getting back on track but I am was not sleeping well. My Dr prescribed lorazepam 1 mg at bedtime. It works pretty well by giving me sleep however I am out of it almost the entire day. Around 4pm I start to feel ok again so I get to have a 6 hour window of a good day. I have read so many of all of your reviews. I am concerned about addiction and withdrawal as I have not taken very many meds like this. The Dr wrote prescription for 25 days. Would like suggestions; should I stay daily with 1 mg or skip nights or cut in half sometimes? I've used it for 1 week so far"

Very sleepy October 10, 2017

For Anxiety: "I started out being prescribed lorazapam for anxiety. Which works wonders for me. I also have chronic nausea with unknown cause and I noticed that when I feel really nauseated whether its from anxiety or some other reason it completly takes it away! It is truly a miracle medicine for me. Only down fall is it can be addictive and if I take it daily on a consistent basis. I did notice when I don't take it I get shaky all through my body which is not a nice feeling at all and my head gets dizzy and just a weird feeling. I would definitely recommend lorazapam to anyone who suffers from anxiety, nervousness or nausea. It is wonderful!"

Miracle medicine (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 10, 2017

For Insomnia: "Tried other drugs for sleeping but Lorazepam works the best! I take every night, an hour before bedtime and sleep 6 to 8 hours a night. I have a transplanted kidney, For me it has worked very well"

Hai uut Mersele (taken for 10 years or more) October 9, 2017

For Anxiety: "I have been taking Lorazepam 1mg as needed for about 6 months for Panic Disorder. It is the only thing I have found that helps me with minimal side effects. It is just frustrating dealing with doctors and psychiatrists who do not like the drug and want to keep experimenting on me with different drugs. I feel like my anxiety would calm down significantly if I was allowed to take this at a small dose every day, rather than only when I have panic attacks but for now I am following doctor's orders."

AB92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2017

For Anxiety: "I been taking this medicine 0.5 Milligram it works perfectly fine no side effects it helps me calm down helps me to sleep I was dying everyday before I started this medicine. I used to feel so stressed out this lorazepam has given my life back. As long as you don't take it stupidly. I'd rather take this medicine and not feel like rubbish everyday. I don't care what other people say about this medicine this medicine has been great for me - that's it"

Ricky Singh September 27, 2017

For Anxiety: "Been on this medication for about a year now and I'm positive it works for me. I was diagnosed with MS and had a lot of anxiety and depression. This drug helps me calm down and take a different approach to things."

Anonymous September 21, 2017