User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol, Loreev XR, Ativan Injection

Lorazepam has an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 from a total of 916 ratings on Drugs.com. 74% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety
10.0
Summary of Lorazepam reviews 7.9 916 reviews

Reviews for Lorazepam

Peaches · Taken for 10 years or more July 19, 2021

For Insomnia: “I have taken 1mg at night off and on for over 20 years. Only med that works for me. I feel great in the morning. Not dizzy or confused which I am with no sleep! I will be 72 this year and want to keep taking it while I have some active years left. What do you think?”

Jen · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 18, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: “This is a wonderful drug but should not be taken daily. I get ten pills per month. I take them when I have a bad bout of anxiety or insomnia etc. It resets me and stops the panic attack cascade that can happen from nights of insomnia. It parts the waves and allows me to pass through the difficulty. It can make you a little emotional after you stop if you take it a few days. I would not take it more than two or three consecutive days. It can be addictive. It can cause a little forgetfulness. For the most part I felt totally normal. It doesn’t have a weird affect it just takes away the gross fear. I’ve been taking .5-1mg several times per month for 5 years. I average 10 pills per month and have no issue stopping cold turkey. Benzos can be difficult to get off if you take them too frequently so beware.”

dyslexic · Taken for 10 years or more April 9, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: “I take 6mg Ativan a day and will do for life, it saved my life there is nothing else to touch a benzodiazepine if your anxiety is off the scale. Yes you get tolerant but what else is there out there NOTHING that works in 20 minutes like Ativan. I am 67 and not going to worry myself with addiction and withdrawal. What would I withdraw to there is nothing out the. I have taken Ativan for 40 years and I am alive, I don't think I would be without it. ”

Sleepy · Taken for 10 years or more January 30, 2020

For Insomnia: “I have insomnia since 2001; 19 years. I tried all natural stuff. Hypnosis. Exercise. Manual labor. Scented candles, etc... Ativan definitely works. However, as time goes on, your body needs more. I expressed the concerned to my doctor of 25 years. He trusts me. He knows I only take at night. I fear addiction. He said, “Well, you will live miserably with all night insomnia every night. Affecting your job, sport participation, exercise and time with family. So; you get addicted. People with diabetes are “addicted” to insulin. What’s the difference. Take the pills. Go to sleep. ”

Gabriela12 · Taken for 10 years or more June 20, 2021

For Anxiety: “I was prescribed Ativan 23 years ago by my endocrinologist to help me sleep. After Vietnam years in the Navy & a career on the road managing rock bands, I could not sleep without flashbacks that stole sleep quality from me. And I was truly tired of the horrible images. From the very first night, I have had NO horrible images if I took my 1mg dose. I was stubborn & didn't want to be dependent on a pill, so I didn't take it every night as prescribed. I paid for it with vivid nightmares. No more. It worked better than imagined. Then the opiate & benzodiazapine crisis of 2020 & continuing. All of my doctors are making my life miserable trying to make me quit. The drugs they want me to take have terrible side effects & don't help the problem.”

Honey bunny donuts · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 25, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: “I have been on Ativan 1mg for almost three years now and whenever I’m super angry, anxious, jumpy it works wonders. For the past week I’ve been crying uncontrollably because of certain things going on and when people don’t show me any concern or comfort me I get irrationally angry and even chased my little sister for showing no sympathy. I’m a 23 year old woman and she’s a 16 year old girl so she’s got her own problems. I immediately took an Ativan and within 20 minutes they kicked in perfectly. I didn’t have an urge to cry anymore, I felt calm and relaxed, And kind of high and had a rational thought process. This is what effects Ativan usually has on me and sometimes I feel goofy and laugh at the most random things. But regardless I ❤️ This drug and couldn’t ask for better. I’ve been on clonazepam that’s ok but not as good as Ativan and I’ve been on Xanax once at the hospital but that made me even more anxious and my muscles jerked. I love Ativan so much”

Sadie · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam) for Insomnia: “After contracting a virus/ assumed COVID in May, I have had chronic insomnia. I’ve tried tons of sleep medications and some would give me a few hours of sleep, other only a couple hours. Then I tired Ativan! I got 6 hours my first time taking 2mg. I’m now sleeping 8 hours usually and I’m down to 1.25 mg. It’s been a literal lifesaver. I don’t want to be dependent on any drug, but when it comes to survival and wellbeing, I’m just very glad Ativan exists!”

Krandsten November 9, 2019

For Insomnia: “I started taken lorazepam 15 yrs ago. I was having severe panic attacks driving myself to E.R. several times !! Not sleep for literally 3 days Then with great reluctance one night in E.R. for the one hundredth time in full blown panicky. Th RN gave me this tiny white pill. I held it in my hand for an hour scared to take it. But man am I glad I did. I have been taking 1 mg Lorazepam for 15 yrs they work great. 30 pills lasts me 4 to 5 weeks I have never increased dosage and they work GREAT!! A little groggy in the morning but so what better then not sleeping for days and full blown panic. I do go 48 hrs sometimes without taking one or take one then day off then another. Cause everyone says thy are highly addictive. But I also take one everyday for months These things saved my life and I will take one everyday or every other on occasion for the rest of my life!! My Dr. Said DO NOT LET FEAR of addiction stop you from taking one.”

Mnich · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 5, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: “Has gotten me through many sleepless nights and panic attacks. I only take it if I absolutely need to, to help me at night time when my anxiety is at its worse and only a dose of 0.5 mg. It almost always makes me sleepy and helps me sleep and normally I don't feel to groggy the next day.”

Nina · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 29, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam) for Insomnia: “I am writing this review to help those who may be experiencing insomnia, anxiety and depression. Mine was the result of extreme past and present trauma. I stopped sleeping completely virtually overnight after a series of traumatic events. I did not sleep for several or more months and began to loose weight rapidly I went from 60 kg down to 38 kg as a result and became very unwell. After taking myself to hospital numerous times I did not find adequate help for my condition there. Eventually I met a very efficient GP and psychiatrist which after much trial and error found help from being prescribed a combination of amitriptyline and ativan. Although I am still on the road to recovery, this medication combination has helped me immensely. I sincerely hope that no one on earth has to experience the living hell that I did, only to find help when it was almost too late.”

Sam · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: “I had a health issue that started my panic attacks for two months. Started taking 1/2 Xanax and continued having panic attacks. After seeing the Dr. she gave me two 1 mg. of Ativan. In 15 minutes or so I was so calm and relaxed! Ativan really makes you very comfortable fast! I love that! Started on Zoloft for a long term fix. Now on 50 mgs a day. Wanting to get off both Ativan and Zoloft, I researched homeopathic options and found that L-theanine and Ashwagandha and Magnesium all have amazing reviews. So I’m going to try the combination of the three. Will be receiving the L-theanine and Magnesium today. I will update as soon as I see results! Hopefully will wean off of Zoloft and Ativan! God bless anyone who suffers!”

Speced August 8, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: “Lost my husband suddenly right next to me of a stroke during the night. It was a shock. I have PTSD, anxiety, and depression. Use Ativan in tiny dose to sleep . Do wake up very drowsy and super sensitive to meds. Can be addictive but not for me. Calms me while grieving.”

Inkaisua · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 25, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: “I’ve been taking Ativan on an off for the past 9 years. Started on 0.5 mg, moved up to 1 mg per day as needed. I’ve heard and read about addiction horror stories, but I’ve personally never had to up my dose (except going from 0.5 to 1 mg) and haven’t had the urge to take more than prescribed. I suffer from major depression and generalized anxiety disorder. Ativan helps my anxiety immensely. Especially useful for full-blown panic attacks - within half an hour I feel normal again. At first it made me sleepy, but as my body got used to it, that side effect went away. There was a time when I was having debilitating anxiety on a daily basis, and my pdoc advised me that I could take up to 4 mg per day. Thankfully, I haven’t had the need to take that much. Overall, Ativan is a great medicine. I could go days without taking it with no adverse effects (I.e. withdrawal). This medicine works well for me. Good luck!!”

insomniac · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam) for Insomnia: “Ativan ruined my life. My psychiatrist prescribed me 2mg to take every night while trying out an anti-depressant. After about 7 weeks, I was addicted to Ativan, and when I tried to stop taking it, I had seizures and panic attacks. I had to keep taking it in order to stabilize. Then I had to switch to Valium and slowly taper off the benzodiazapines in order to avoid another seizure. It took me a year and a half to taper off, and I now have chronic fear, anxiety, tinnitus, and insomnia. I wish I never touched this drug.”

Dallas720 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 3, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: “I've been on this medication since 2018 and it works wonders for my anxiety. The first time I took it was when I was having an anxiety attack in the mall when it was really crowded. I usually take 1mg along with drinking juice, water or even soda never grapejuice. The effects kick in between 45 min and 2 hours and I feel extremely calm, happy, silly and even loopy. I wish the effects lasted longer than 8 hrs though but I still love this drug regardless”

Drugs · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: “Ativan does the job. But you do NOT want to go through the withdrawal. It's very bad. I have generalized anxiety and panic disorder to the point where I can't leave the house unless I really have to. And ativan makes it a lot easier to leave the house. The withdrawal makes your anxiety come back with vengeance. It's bad. For the short term it's great but long term you become addicted and physically dependent on it. And you build a tolerance so it doesn't help you as much as initially taking it. I love ativan and recommend it to anyone suffering from anxiety. Just make sure you wean off it or you will feel like a life becomes a nightmare.”

Lu Lu · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2020

For Anxiety: “About 2 years ago I started having panic attacks whenever I left the house, and I had terrible insomnia. I was also diagnosed with social anxiety, so I would always feel edgy when around people and this made me quite depressed. I started staying by myself and not going out much. My doctor prescribed 0.5 mg of Lorazepam. I've been taking it almost everyday for one month, and I feel a sense of calm and relief. My mind isn't racing anymore and I'm able to sit still and relax. I'm also sleeping better, and I'm able to concentrate more. I started going out in public again, and I've actually been able to enjoy myself. This medicine is a life-saver for me. I've had some drowsiness, but I just drink a cup of coffee and this helps me to feel alert, but still calm. Now that I'm able to leave the house again, my depression is getting better. I'm a little worried about building a tolerance to this medicine, but so far it's been helping me get my life back on track.”

Bohemian Guy · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2021

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: “Well, I got an intense anxiety attack at 2 am and somehow went through it that very unfortunate night . But the following morning I got my hands on Ativan and when the anxiety kicked in again I popped 1mg Ativan and it kicked in within an hour and gradually getting stronger. My heart rate slowed down which made me feel a lot better coz I thought I was gonna have a heart attack during my first anxiety attack . Made my mind more calmer and it put me off to sleep very peacefully only to wake up the next morning all fresh. I love Ativan coz it really helps me with my anxiety attacks . I have a racing thoughts issue and it solves it too .I have been on it for a month and I quit it cold turkey when I went back home but I didn't face any major withdrawal symptoms too. Thanks Ativan !”

Hs · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: “This is by far the scariest experience I have EVER had with a drug. Ativan immediately took the anxiety away but the after effects were horrible. I took it intermittently for 2 weeks and then noticed when I didn't take it consistently my anxiety was 100 percent worse. I was crawling out of my skin and so irritable. I also had uncontrollable muscle shaking and memory problems. This drug is very dangerous for some people. I'll stick to cognitive behavioral therapy.”

RickS64 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 22, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam) for Insomnia: “I was prescribed Ativan (aka Lorezapam) because I had a head injury and my Doctor presumably thought that I had a very high level of anxiety (I wasn't getting enough sleep with the head injury so the Doctors perception was incorrect), but once I started using Ativan sleep woes disappeared completely of which I had always had problems staying asleep for virtually all of my life ! Ativan (Lorezapam) puts you into a "deep" sleep, you don't wake up during the middle of the night (Or late night for that matter!), cuts dreaming down to virtually zero and is THE BEST SLEEP MEDICATION I HAVE "EVER" SEEN !!! My prescription was for 1mg and to be taken 1 hour before going to sleep which is exactly what I did ! Effective Rating = "10" !”

Chris May 10, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam) for Panic Disorder: “I have had panic disorder, agoraphobia, and severe anxiety for 10 years, so I need something like Ativan that sedates me and calms me down when I get hysterical. After numerous trips to the ER and every time I went there they gave me this. Finally talked to my psychiatrist and got the prescription so I don't have to go to a hospital for my severe panic attacks. Medications I used to take made me feel like I was going crazy lol. Unlike other medications I have tried in the past there is really not any side effects besides it makes you a little drowsy. This is a true lifesaver for a person who could not otherwise function. This helps with how debilitating panic attacks and severe anxiety can be. I would highly recommend this and I have tried countless other remedies but this one tops all.”

Joe9393 August 9, 2014

Ativan (lorazepam) for Insomnia: “I was given Ativan for occasional use. I try to use it once every week or once every ten days for sleep. (0.5mg). I'm lucky that I don't have to use it any more regularly because I don't work right now. I find that it helps me relax to sleep, and I wake up feeling and looking rested. The looking rested part is important because it tells me how good it is at actually calming the anxiety. I know that when my anxiety is high, even if I sleep 10hrs, I'll wake up tired and looking tired. But I think this medicine actually does a good job of getting rid of that anxiety, so your body can rest and get into some level of "deep" sleep. But absolutely, really only use it on the day that you must.”

Jay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: “Safe and effective medication as long as you do not become dependent on it. PLEASE avoid getting hooked on this medication as it is a benzo and withdrawal from benzos can be deadly. Has helped me manage severe panic attacks due to anxiety, depression and ocd. I take 0.5 mg if I am having a severe panic attack and it immediately helps take the edge off.”

becky · Taken for 10 years or more September 22, 2019

For Insomnia: “I have been using this med for sleep, now, for about 30 years, believe it or not. Started on it with anxiety attacks and continued on it for lack of sleep. I take 1 mg. every nite and that is it. There are a few nites when it doesn't work, but for the most part, I am sound asleep within 1/hr. I should take it earlier, but I take it about 10:30 or so, read, turn off the lite and am soon asleep. I am somewhat sleepy still during the day, but that's better than being exhausted for days on end for lack of sleep.”

lenalena · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2014

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: “Long story short, I am terrified of medication , the first time I took Ativan I had already got myself all worked up about having to take it that when I did I went into full blown panic attack. It was not because of this med , it was my own doing. The second and third time I took it, it worked well . Allowed me to get through the entire day like myself again. Even took the depression away that I have caused from anxiety . I have only taken it 3 times in the last month since was prescribed it . Since I've read how addicting this can be I have been very careful about taking it only when I really need it.”