User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Dysautonomia 1 reviews 53 medications

Cervical Dystonia 4 reviews 6 medications

7.5
Summary of Lorazepam reviews 578 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Lorazepam

For Anxiety: "15 years of trying different medications to help me cope with my anxiety disorders. Unfortunately for me as the drug addict I once was, has made it almost impossible to get prescribed lorazepam. Even though lorazepam is not a drug I've ever abused, it still is extremely difficult to obtain a prescription. I tell you that nothing is impossible. This medication alone, has saved my life. It's effects are strangely different than that of other benzodiazepines. My opinion, Just take RX exactly as prescribed by your Dr. and utilize coping skills such as DBT, to further your success in managing/coping with a crippling disorder such as anxiety. Lorazepam is highly effective, instant reduction in anxious thoughts/feelings/emotions, and is proven."

GiveuporGetRelief (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "It has worked well for about 12 years as treatment for insomnia at 2 mg. with no side effects. Lately it has lost its effectiveness and all other drugs I have tried, including Ambien, do not work at all. I am wondering if it is safe to take in higher dosage for a long term. Lack of sleep is a terrible curse, although oddly I have little or no fatigue even though I am 68."

P Dawg April 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "I am a nervous flyer and my anxiety has been getting particularly bad, so I decided to go to my family doc and get a prescription. My doc gave me ativan and said to take 1 mg 1 hour before the flight. I took 1 mg exactly as she told me and then another 0.5 mg midway through the flight.During the flight, I felt completely calm and at peace, which has never happened before. Highly recommend for infrequent fliers with anxiety"

Julie567 April 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "Have been taking this for situational anxiety for many years. It worked to some degree but I would always feel depressed afterwards which was awful. Last year I used it daily up to 1.5mg while I was changing my anti-depressant. This was a huge mistake. I soon reached the tolerance and began to get rebound anxiety which started up every morning. I've been off of it for 10 weeks now and still suffering. This is really hard to come off of. My advise is don't take this more than once a week and that may be too much. My anxiety is so much worse because of lorazepam."

PaulMartin16 April 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "Excellent medicine, I take it only as needed but beware, for me at least, massive and rapid weight gain has occurred on it, I was a consistent 130 pounds for the last 3 years, within a month of starting it I've gained 25 pounds. Which for me is great, I needed the weight gain, for others though, take caution in this. For me this drug has been phenomenal and I can take it once and feel good for days."

Tony1026 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I am told I am a reasonably intelligent 64 yo. In all honesty my Mother is probably a little biased. I have suffered and I do mean suffered severe bouts of anxiety and debilitating depression for over 50 years. As you might Imagine I have seen everybody, tried every remedy under God's sun. Drug companies in this and most other countries are motivated by one thing ONLY. Greed/MONEY and getting more. If someone can be helped as a side effect along the way, it makes great press but it sure isn't essential. I found a Loooooong time ago that I had to do the research into my own personal condition, that I had to in essence, become my own Doctor."

Dr. Chip April 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "This does work for anxiety and seems generally safe and with little side effects. I personally do not like the long term effects of the drug and wish it was more of a 30 min to 3 hour effect. But this is great. My first choice would be Xanax, this a great second. There is some short term memory blanks, and more difficultly in concentration at times, also a slight sleepy feeling. I do not feel any addiction aspects to this drug. I can take it, or leave it. I noticed when I do have anxiety, and take it, this helps the episode resolve sooner. If I have anxiety and don't take it, I get through it longer, and may have other problems associated with the stress on my body. I see no need to take this for recreational reasons, it is not fun?"

3% (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam) for Panic Disorder: "I began having panic attacks in the middle of the night a few months ago and my doctor prescribed 0.5 mg of Ativan to take as needed. He told me it was fast-acting and would be out of my system in 6 hours. The first time I took it, my panic stopped in about 15 minutes. It was like someone turned the faucet off, just completely gone. I was able to get to sleep without problem for the first time in weeks. I did notice that it becomes considerably less effective if I take it more than 1-2 times in a week, so I try to do everything I can to calm down before reaching for the bottle. Currently starting Zoloft to help with underlying issues (have been on and off it before) and I keep this handy for any random anxiety spikes while my body adjusts."

jtr88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I've been taking Lorazapam for many years but usually not more than once a week for really bad anxiety. The problem is it's addictive and you want and need to take more to get the relief you were getting before. So the more you take, the higher the tolerance and you need to keep going up and taking it more often. Another problem is the half life for Lorazapam is between 4 and 8 hours. This means you should really take it 3 times per day. If you don't you start getting reflex anxiety. After the dosage wears out your anxiety goes up. This was what I experienced and I went through the worst time in my 17 years. 8 weeks ago I stopped taking Lorazapam and switched to Diazapam to taper off. I suggest staying off this drug."

Pm16 April 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Status Epilepticus: "Use as a rescue medication to break seizure clusters. I only take when needed. Which isn't often thankfully."

Dhaniboi (taken for 10 years or more) April 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "This drug is the devil. The first few doses work like magic. After 1 week a hellish withdrawal starts kicking in about 2 hours after taking each dose. Impossible to ween off of without a doctor who's familiar with this highly addictive drug."

Gator44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam) for Insomnia: "I was prescribed Ativan (aka Lorezapam) because I had a head injury and my Doctor presumably thought that I had a very high level of anxiety (I wasn't getting enough sleep with the head injury so the Doctors perception was incorrect), but once I started using Ativan sleep woes disappeared completely of which I had always had problems staying asleep for virtually all of my life ! Ativan (Lorezapam) puts you into a "deep" sleep, you don't wake up during the middle of the night (Or late night for that matter!), cuts dreaming down to virtually zero and is THE BEST SLEEP MEDICATION I HAVE "EVER" SEEN !!! My prescription was for 1mg and to be taken 1 hour before going to sleep which is exactly what I did ! Effective Rating = "10" !"

RickS64 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "This medication works at reducing anxiety, and the only negative effect is slight drowsiness. I just take 0.25 mg at a time so I'm not too drowsy. I'm getting a little annoyed at how hard it can be to get it from doctors seeing as it works for me."

XelaD March 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "Sitting here shaking in my boots this stuff is weak 1mg 3 times a day"

Jay Stew March 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I take lorazepam for social anxiety. It seems to help. I feel more relaxed and talkative when I take it. It also helps me with severe depression."

Cheri23 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 14, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam) for Status Epilepticus: "This med works well for calming my head after a seizure(s). I have partial seizures. Started using it 2 years ago, 'as needed' Recently I'm attempting to discontinue any use of this medicine. My dosage is only 0.5 sublingual. The withdrawal symptoms are absolutely brutal. It's a low dose. I'm not sure if my sensitivity to medication and time taken affects the detox. I didn't expect the nightmares, nausea, exhaustion, fuzzy head. I am glad this med helped when needed, but can say, I'll never return to using it."

KaterinaSernowski (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I have taken many anxiety and anti-depressants medications in the last 25 years. I have taken Lorazepam for last 13 years when needed , but for the last 2 years my dosage was increased from 1mg a day to 3mg a day every 8 hours , due to 7 close family members and 4 friends passing away. This is when the trouble started it did not work anymore , Doctor suggested I try clonazepam this lasted about three days , thought I was dying. His next step was to wean me off Lorazepam with Diazepam , I told him that I would not use a benzo to come off a benzo , then tells me too take 1mg a day for 30 days , realized he did not know what he was talking about or what to do. Then I went to my Pharmacy and asked her how do I taper off safely . Thanks to her we now have a plan"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) March 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "IF you use this drug JUDICIOUSLY, it can a God send. I take 1 mg 3 to 4 times a week, never passing 5 (and rarely hitting 5). 99% of the time I take it right at bedtime to get a bomb sleep. The next day, the world is beautiful. I am lucky; I can feel the drug working for 13 hours every time. And when it wears off, I still feel superb. I am a better person with this inexpensive medication in my life! I have been taking ativan for 10 years. The routine above has been consistently done for 3 years. Consider a low dose SSRI; I have been taking 10 mg of Cipralex/Lexapro for 18 months. I wish I had this figured out years ago! Good Luck."

Wayne Lafontaine March 5, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam) for Nausea/Vomiting: "This med. Was given as anti anxiety medication. Straight knocked me out an hour after taking. Girl friend took it. She some how functioned to go to work. I was completely unable to cut hair, even unable to get out of chair. Anxiety was gone. And u should only take this drug short term then wean off it.My girl friends Dr. doubled her dosage from 1mg to 2 mg and without it she completely freaked out, yelling, screaming at me. She completely changes her personality if without it. When she stopped taking it, it was like she was coming off heroine. Was a worse situation coming off it, Dr. Did not lower her dose slowly, nor gave her something that could help her come off it. Mixed with cymbalta? Even worse. Mass hallucinations, both bad drugs."

Ziggy marps (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Very effective but coming off is not fun. I wouldn't take it unless you have to I have severe anxiety and mild OCD and I'm choosing just not to take it. Side effects are real with this medicine. You'll be calm but at a price."

Jshsbsusbs March 1, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "I know that many, including myself are not in favour of the pharmaceutical industry yet, when this drug literally saves your life, i.e. prevents suicidal ideation, can you really hate the industry, then? Think about that."

soucis February 27, 2017

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "So I have anxiety all of the time. But it's not the textbook rocking and shaking anxiety...it's the negative and obsessive thoughts-that something horrible will come if every situation. I have an as needed Rx for lorazepam and honestly I don't know if I like it. I feel like it makes me groggy enough but never takes the anxiety away. It almost feels like I hover over it but it's still underlying."

Shakybabe February 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I have anxiety and sleeping problems. I like Xanax a little better I think. But Ativan still helps. Not from me because I haven't tried it yet but I heard if you like Xanax you have to double up on the Ativan from Xanax from 1mg to 2 and it would feel the same. That Ativan is weaker but has a longer shelf life. Regardless I would recommend this med out if you have sleeping problems or anxiety. There's usually a hard time for me to find a medium for me. I'm either too happy or to sad. Ativan n other benzo's give me that."

Tokeo February 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "This drug does help with anxiety. But this drugs attack on your mind and your soul when you suddenly quit this med is hell!!! I advise everyone to stay away from benzos. They will rob you of your life and your sanity. I have recently stumble across a amino acid that works better than a .5mg of lorazepam. It has no side effects and is actually good for you!!! Its called L theanine. This is a amazing natural supplement for anxiety and phobias. Its 100% safe and it works better for me than lorazepam. I take 400 mg a day. 200mg in the morning and 200mg with a 3mg melatonin at night for restful sleep. I stopped benzos after being on them for 2 years for horrible panic and anxiety 5 days ago. I started this regimen 2 days ago and it killed the withdrawals."

Val39 February 25, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam) for Anxiety: "Hands down, the best immediate solution for anxiety or panic attacks. I prefer Ativan to other benzos and it usually lifts my depression too, even suicidal thoughts ( well for the few hours that it works). Just be very careful not to become addicted but this is extremely helpful as an occasional tool in stressful situations. DO not take every day for many days unless instructed so, but even then do your research."

Canada345 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 19, 2017