User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

"I rate this 9/10 because I haven't used it enough. I have agoraphobia and anxiety/panic disorder. Lately, it has been hard for me to leave my house and so I would get anxious inside the car and then at the destination. Moment I woke, I took 0.5mg on an empty stomach to let it kick in while I brush, change clothes, and later eat. By time I leave the house, I noticed I didn't feel any hesitation to step out. The car ride was calm. I didn't sweat, no feelings of wanting to panic. I was able to browse clothes and shoes without having to do my usual breathing exercises to keep myself relaxed. It enabled me to shop without worry, panic, and rushing. I have only taken it twice, a month apart. No drowsiness or sleepiness for me."

Sothankful June 18, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam): "Fast acting. I take .25mg once or twice daily. Some days none. I have a slight dependence on it even at the low dose. I can skip it but notice when I do. Not nearly as effective as it used to be but still works. I prefer to keep the dose low and use it with Buspar 7.5 twice daily and 75mg Effexor XR for my OCD and depression. The Effexor seems to help my OCD and the Buspar/Ativan takes the edge off the Effexor. I also use Ambien CR 12.5mg."

UndrMediKated June 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam): "I've been using ativan for anxiety and insomnia for the last 5 or so years. Lately I have been having side effects after taking only 1-2 pills at night for sleep. It does help me fall asleep but the next day I wake up nauseous. And I'm nauseous all day. Another weird side effect that it seems no one else has experienced is that my skin feels weird, like my fingers feel like there is a coating on them...It's hard to describe but it happens every time I take ativans. I get no side effects like this from valium or xanax. I hope my doctor will switch for me."

FoZB June 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam): "At the age of 29, I've developed anxiety and it's gotten progressively worse, with me ending up in the ER for what I thought was a panic attack. After evaluating me, the doctor confirmed I'd had a panic attack and had the nurse give me an Ativan. I came to to the ER in tears, unable to control my breathing, feeling suffocated, body tingling, nauseous, face numb, the whole 9 yards. After taking the Ativan, I was feeling completely back to normal within 15 minutes, I could not believe it! They gave me a short prescription for it until I can follow up with my health care provider and it really is such a miracle drug that really calms the anxiety, allows you to think clearly, and feel relaxed."

Miracle Drug! (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam): "I took too much Ativan which gave me delusions and super depressive thoughts. Stay away from pharmaceutical drugs."

Chris Cornell (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I dealt with troubled sons. One did 12 years of Angola La State Pen. He came to worked for me for some years. Was extremely stressful to deal with an ex-convict in weather in construction bricklaying business. A bit later my youngest Son moved out. He got with awful drug addicts. Did Meth, Coke, Vodka. Tore up apartments, his own house fora sum of $32,000 coming off meth. He did $10,000 damage on a 1999 super Dodge Dakota. Lorazepam saved my life. I'm a 225 lb man, 76 years old. I started 20 years ago. Worked for me in 30 minutes, I felt calm and hope come over me. I take 2mg morning and night. Why would I care if this addiction makes me feel good. You shouldn't care either if this addition helps you cope. It's a miracle drug. Thank God!"

BrickBoo May 5, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was prescribed this a few months ago getting anxiety while driving. The prescription is '0.5 mg once a day as needed." I have taken it about 3-5 times a week, a few times I have taken it twice a day. I have been having family issues recently, and I first thought that was the reason my occasional anxiety has progressed to debilitating (flying off the handle, depressive dying thoughts, chest pains) but after research I've concluded that I'm actually going through withdrawal when I don't take it everyday. Now it's 2:36 AM, I'm scared, mind won't shut off, don't know how to wean off of this properly. I'm tired, will be calling into work in the morning for lack of sleep. Please do not take this and just get counselling for your anxiety first"

Margo G May 4, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"15 years of trying different medications to help me cope with my anxiety disorders. Unfortunately for me as the drug addict I once was, has made it almost impossible to get prescribed lorazepam. Even though lorazepam is not a drug I've ever abused, it still is extremely difficult to obtain a prescription. I tell you that nothing is impossible. This medication alone, has saved my life. It's effects are strangely different than that of other benzodiazepines. My opinion, Just take RX exactly as prescribed by your Dr. and utilize coping skills such as DBT, to further your success in managing/coping with a crippling disorder such as anxiety. Lorazepam is highly effective, instant reduction in anxious thoughts/feelings/emotions, and is proven."

GiveuporGetRelief (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 25, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam): "I am a nervous flyer and my anxiety has been getting particularly bad, so I decided to go to my family doc and get a prescription. My doc gave me ativan and said to take 1 mg 1 hour before the flight. I took 1 mg exactly as she told me and then another 0.5 mg midway through the flight.During the flight, I felt completely calm and at peace, which has never happened before. Highly recommend for infrequent fliers with anxiety"

Julie567 April 21, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam): "Have been taking this for situational anxiety for many years. It worked to some degree but I would always feel depressed afterwards which was awful. Last year I used it daily up to 1.5mg while I was changing my anti-depressant. This was a huge mistake. I soon reached the tolerance and began to get rebound anxiety which started up every morning. I've been off of it for 10 weeks now and still suffering. This is really hard to come off of. My advise is don't take this more than once a week and that may be too much. My anxiety is so much worse because of lorazepam."

PaulMartin16 April 20, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam): "Excellent medicine, I take it only as needed but beware, for me at least, massive and rapid weight gain has occurred on it, I was a consistent 130 pounds for the last 3 years, within a month of starting it I've gained 25 pounds. Which for me is great, I needed the weight gain, for others though, take caution in this. For me this drug has been phenomenal and I can take it once and feel good for days."

Tony1026 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am told I am a reasonably intelligent 64 yo. In all honesty my Mother is probably a little biased. I have suffered and I do mean suffered severe bouts of anxiety and debilitating depression for over 50 years. As you might Imagine I have seen everybody, tried every remedy under God's sun. Drug companies in this and most other countries are motivated by one thing ONLY. Greed/MONEY and getting more. If someone can be helped as a side effect along the way, it makes great press but it sure isn't essential. I found a Loooooong time ago that I had to do the research into my own personal condition, that I had to in essence, become my own Doctor."

Dr. Chip April 15, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This does work for anxiety and seems generally safe and with little side effects. I personally do not like the long term effects of the drug and wish it was more of a 30 min to 3 hour effect. But this is great. My first choice would be Xanax, this a great second. There is some short term memory blanks, and more difficultly in concentration at times, also a slight sleepy feeling. I do not feel any addiction aspects to this drug. I can take it, or leave it. I noticed when I do have anxiety, and take it, this helps the episode resolve sooner. If I have anxiety and don't take it, I get through it longer, and may have other problems associated with the stress on my body. I see no need to take this for recreational reasons, it is not fun?"

3% (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking Lorazapam for many years but usually not more than once a week for really bad anxiety. The problem is it's addictive and you want and need to take more to get the relief you were getting before. So the more you take, the higher the tolerance and you need to keep going up and taking it more often. Another problem is the half life for Lorazapam is between 4 and 8 hours. This means you should really take it 3 times per day. If you don't you start getting reflex anxiety. After the dosage wears out your anxiety goes up. This was what I experienced and I went through the worst time in my 17 years. 8 weeks ago I stopped taking Lorazapam and switched to Diazapam to taper off. I suggest staying off this drug."

Pm16 April 4, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam): "This drug is the devil. The first few doses work like magic. After 1 week a hellish withdrawal starts kicking in about 2 hours after taking each dose. Impossible to ween off of without a doctor who's familiar with this highly addictive drug."

Gator44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication works at reducing anxiety, and the only negative effect is slight drowsiness. I just take 0.25 mg at a time so I'm not too drowsy. I'm getting a little annoyed at how hard it can be to get it from doctors seeing as it works for me."

XelaD March 21, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam): "Sitting here shaking in my boots this stuff is weak 1mg 3 times a day"

Jay Stew March 18, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take lorazepam for social anxiety. It seems to help. I feel more relaxed and talkative when I take it. It also helps me with severe depression."

Cheri23 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 14, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken many anxiety and anti-depressants medications in the last 25 years. I have taken Lorazepam for last 13 years when needed , but for the last 2 years my dosage was increased from 1mg a day to 3mg a day every 8 hours , due to 7 close family members and 4 friends passing away. This is when the trouble started it did not work anymore , Doctor suggested I try clonazepam this lasted about three days , thought I was dying. His next step was to wean me off Lorazepam with Diazepam , I told him that I would not use a benzo to come off a benzo , then tells me too take 1mg a day for 30 days , realized he did not know what he was talking about or what to do. Then I went to my Pharmacy and asked her how do I taper off safely . Thanks to her we now have a plan"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) March 6, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam): "IF you use this drug JUDICIOUSLY, it can a God send. I take 1 mg 3 to 4 times a week, never passing 5 (and rarely hitting 5). 99% of the time I take it right at bedtime to get a bomb sleep. The next day, the world is beautiful. I am lucky; I can feel the drug working for 13 hours every time. And when it wears off, I still feel superb. I am a better person with this inexpensive medication in my life! I have been taking ativan for 10 years. The routine above has been consistently done for 3 years. Consider a low dose SSRI; I have been taking 10 mg of Cipralex/Lexapro for 18 months. I wish I had this figured out years ago! Good Luck."

Wayne Lafontaine March 5, 2017

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very effective but coming off is not fun. I wouldn't take it unless you have to I have severe anxiety and mild OCD and I'm choosing just not to take it. Side effects are real with this medicine. You'll be calm but at a price."

Jshsbsusbs March 1, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ativan (lorazepam): "I know that many, including myself are not in favour of the pharmaceutical industry yet, when this drug literally saves your life, i.e. prevents suicidal ideation, can you really hate the industry, then? Think about that."

soucis February 27, 2017

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So I have anxiety all of the time. But it's not the textbook rocking and shaking anxiety...it's the negative and obsessive thoughts-that something horrible will come if every situation. I have an as needed Rx for lorazepam and honestly I don't know if I like it. I feel like it makes me groggy enough but never takes the anxiety away. It almost feels like I hover over it but it's still underlying."

Shakybabe February 26, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have anxiety and sleeping problems. I like Xanax a little better I think. But Ativan still helps. Not from me because I haven't tried it yet but I heard if you like Xanax you have to double up on the Ativan from Xanax from 1mg to 2 and it would feel the same. That Ativan is weaker but has a longer shelf life. Regardless I would recommend this med out if you have sleeping problems or anxiety. There's usually a hard time for me to find a medium for me. I'm either too happy or to sad. Ativan n other benzo's give me that."

Tokeo February 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug does help with anxiety. But this drugs attack on your mind and your soul when you suddenly quit this med is hell!!! I advise everyone to stay away from benzos. They will rob you of your life and your sanity. I have recently stumble across a amino acid that works better than a .5mg of lorazepam. It has no side effects and is actually good for you!!! Its called L theanine. This is a amazing natural supplement for anxiety and phobias. Its 100% safe and it works better for me than lorazepam. I take 400 mg a day. 200mg in the morning and 200mg with a 3mg melatonin at night for restful sleep. I stopped benzos after being on them for 2 years for horrible panic and anxiety 5 days ago. I started this regimen 2 days ago and it killed the withdrawals."

Val39 February 25, 2017