User Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Ativan

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 164 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have extremely bad anxiety that started at 8 years old when my essential tremor started. It’s a vicious cycle. Shaking causes anxiety, anxiety causes shaking to become more pronounced and it leaves me in constant fear. Anxiety became so bad recently that I had to go to the ER! I couldn’t even leave the house. Doctor gave me 1mg of Ativan within 30 minutes was calmer than I felt in months. It was SO hard to find a psychiatrist that would prescribe them but I did and now I take .5mg as needed but literally when needed!! I have 90 pills but have only needed 1. I force myself through the moderate anxiety as I am terrified of becoming addicted. (I DO NOT have an addictive personality though, never have) anyways I find these a absolute life saver and for some reason just knowing I have them on me calms my anxiety. I 100% recommend ONLY when needed in extreme cases!!! Force yourself through the moderate anxiety."

Bear (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2019

"I like Lorazepam. My brain feels calm and I feel more relaxed and happier. I am able to complete duties-yes even simple house cleaning that used to baffle me. Now I can do it with no problem. Proud of myself."

BrightnShiny (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2019

"Been on this drug for nearly 40 years now with no side effects. I take 3 mg and have never needed more. When I had post natal depression I was put on these and they really helped with anxiety and insomnia .I continue with them as I sleep well on them ."

loftybanana (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2019

"Taking 1mg per day before bed for about 7 years. Helps a lot with falling asleep. No side effects during day time. Then about 3 years ago withdrawal symptoms started. I started getting anxiety during day time, which was especially bad about lunch time, which was about 15 hours after the night dose. For the last 6 months I have been tapering off lorazepam by breaking bits off the 1mg pill. Now I am at about 0.5mg per night and feeling better during the day. Sometimes I still get anxiety during the day but it has become milder. Still staying on the 0.5mg dose as I need my sleep."

Sara February 15, 2019

"I’m 23 and suffer from very bad anxiety. My doctor let me try 0.5 mg of Ativan and, as soon as I took a dose of it, I began to HALLUCINATE! Visually and audibly. That made my anxiety even worse. It was like taking Ambien in the middle of the day. When I told my doctor, he said that’s actually a common side effect of Ativan which surprised me. I don’t know why I have this reaction to Ativan since Xanax, Valium, and Klonopin work absolutely fine for me and don’t cause this scary side effect. I’m sticking to Klonopin. There’s much better anti-anxiety medications than Ativan."

JonathanR (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2019

"Doctor prescribed me 1mg X 3 per day. First week was fine, but soon after I developed a tolerance and between-dose withdrawal. Much to my dismay, my doctor kept me on this for 4 long months. The pills were working against me actually causing me anxiety. Now am in the process of tapering off. If only I was prescribed a longer acting benzo for a much shorter period."

Pocariboy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2019

"This drug definitely helped with my anxiety and panic attacks, I mostly use it for my plane anxiety now and it works great. This is not a long-term drug, if you need a long term med I suggest Xanax. Very little to no side effects using this drug except a little drowsiness."

Alex January 24, 2019

"Ativan is a miracle drug for panic attacks for me. It instantly sedates me with 0 side effects every time. I would go from full on hyperventilation and heart racing to just being okay, not a zombie or ultra happy, but just feeling ok. The only issue is that since it is habit forming, my new provider refuses to prescribe it to anyone. My old one was based in Pennsylvania which is a state they have to register you in some healthcare database(not public of course!) for the purposes of drug abuse reduction as I was told."

Ceci (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 14, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Got on this after a nervous breakdown due to my mom nearly died and my job announced they were closing. I started having my heart skip beats which sent me spiralling into about two weeks of severe insomnia, depression, and panic. When I went to my doctor in tears he prescribed me Ativan. That night I finally slept.. and I kept taking 0.5mg for a week. I then began to improve so I began to taper to 0.25 mg and the second day on it I had withdrawal symptoms of a headache, panic, and nausea. The symptoms lasted 2 days and have finally subsided. I plan to taper again after another week. This medicine works wonders but you need to have an exit strategy fast."

Jim (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2018

"Was prescribed this after a nervous breakdown left me with severe insomnia for 2 weeks leading to daily panic attacks and severe depression. I took 0.5mg at night and finally passed out. I still had some residual anxiety for a few days but I was able to cope. Now after 7 days of 0.5mg at night I started to taper off to 0.25mg per night to get off of the med and am experiencing minor withdrawals. Last night I had nausea and anxiety attacks leading to some sleep loss. I plan to fight through it at 0.25mg per night for the next 4 days then do down to 0.125mg for a week then stop... Be careful on this stuff, it works wonders, but make sure you have an exit in mind. I am frightened to think of how the withdrawal would be had I not started tapering so soon."

Jim (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I've been on 0.5mg of ativan. This is my second day. It instantly started helping me overall in every way. But I get real tired, but thats OK. I'll deal with that. I've never been on a nerve medicine before. I simply love it. It has turned a light on in my brain. I feel great and can handle things so much better. Its great."

Emmy November 29, 2018

"I did use this medicine for a week but I wasn't satisfied with the results "

frankedison677 (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Yes, it will stop panic attacks, but good luck coming off it. I was having severe anxiety after a bad spell of taking Lexapro, which made my anxiety worse and gave me constant panic attacks, so my doctor had me taking .5 mg three times a day. I was so grateful to have some relief that I didn't question the dose, but the more I read about dependence, the more nervous I became. I started tapering off it after only a month and I thought I was going to die. Hallucinating, insomnia where I didn't sleep for days, couldn't keep down solid food, crippling depression and agoraphobia...it was a nightmare and I was contemplating checking in to a hospital. I eventually transitioned to buspirone and eventually Pristiq. Such a nightmare. I can't recommend Ativan to anyone who may be sensitive to benzos."

EJK (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "1st time sharing a story or review but I just think this is so important to talk about and let others know. My mother is only 60 years old and has been suffering from depression and anxiety and also panic attacks for about 15 years. 3 months ago my dad pass away so my mom had a breakdown and ever since has been crying complaining about pain on her chest....palpitations...suicidal thoughts. The antidepressant she is taking doesn't seem to help her at all. So we took her to the hospital because we don't know how to help her. No medication helps for her, only ativan is the medication that makes all the above go away ..but doctor doesn't want to prescribe it to her."

worried daughter October 27, 2018

"I was hospitalized with Pneumonia and was having very severe anxiety issues. I was having horrible tremors that would not stop. The first time I was put on a antianxiety drug it was buspar. That was a bad mistake. I went to the ER with such horrible tremors that I was put on Lorazapam to control my tremors. I was given a 2mg dosage which worked like a charm to control them. I have only been on them since the tenth of October. when I saw my PCP recently he was worried about them not being affective enough . So he upped the Dosage to .05 I took my first dose today. Within hrs of taking this I was shaking so badly that it scared me. I called the on call doctor at my clinic and was told to go back to the 2 mg dose. I did just that. I feel a little more under control now. But I will never use that high a dose again. On Monday I am going to give him a earful of what happened when he decided to do this. I am not so sure that I want to stay on antianxiety meds after this."

nyzki (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2018

"Lorazepam saved me. At my worst it was the only thing that kept me being able to function. 2 months ago I had some form of a breakdown and began suffering severe panic/anxiety attacks. During that time I've managed to go to work, look after my kids, socialise etc. there is no doubt in my mind that if it wasn't for lorazepam I would have spent the past 2 months in bed. I take it as I need it - sometimes nothing, sometimes up to 2mgs a day. Only side effects have been headaches and (when I don't use it for a few days) very vivid dreams. Using other therapies to manage my situation also."

Leo88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I am the 1% of people who take Ativan and suffer from extreme anxiety and paranoia. If you experience these symptoms you are NOT alone, but you should stop taking the medication (with help of a doctor) . Once I stopped taking it I felt so much better and was not paranoid or filled with anxiety."

K (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Ativan works for me. Diazepam does not."

Lindsay (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

"I have had anxiety and depression real bad for 7 months. Was prescribed venlafaxine and lorazepam. Venlafaxine was increased every two weeks till I was on the higher dosage, but it did not work. Now on Sertraline 150mg, have been using 1 month no difference yet. Lorazepam I was on 1mg once daily and it was great I felt normal, then it started to be less effective so was told take 2 a day. Now it is less effective again as I am tolerant to it, I know I am addicted to it but I need help to get through this. I am tired of the anxiety and crying all the time."

sharon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was prescribed this to take prior to a MRI. I had been taking Klonopin for my anxiety which is more slow acting so thought I would try this. It immediately calmed me down before the MRI and I felt good after. I spoke with my PCP about trying this instead of Klonopin and she was ok with that at 1 mg twice a day as needed. The first week was fine and then during week two I was having a lot of panic attacks, chest tightness and insomnia. I suffer from MS so never sure what is MS related or anxiety caused problems. I have decided to go back to the Klonopin. It doesn't kick in as fast but lasts much longer and I feel much better on it."

Newk (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2018

"Started this almost a month ago. GAD, PTSD. I was on Xanax 9 years 1 mg daily worked amazing. Dr said had to get of so I did. Wasn’t bad getting off took lexapro and had no bad withdrawals. Dr then put me on this ativan 0.5 a day. Good for anxiety but I’m so tired all day long. I could sit and fall asleep. When it comes to night time I take half ambian to help me fall asleep because by then activan wears off."

Bai (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Great medication for anxiety! Helps me survive."

Nina August 29, 2018

"Usually only take it when work gets stressful as I get really bad insomnia due to that fact. I've been taking 0.5mg for roughly 4 years now as needed, never experience any super negative side effects from it thus far. I would definitely recommend this medication for those who only experience certain bouts of anxiety from time to time, but wouldn't rely on this medication to subside your anxiety on a long term basis."

Stevie D (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Terrible and dangerous. Muscle jerking, auditory hallucinations, jumpy all day. Even WORSE anxiety. If it is not life or death. Do not take!!!!"

Jasq (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2018

"I have been taking Ativan for almost three years now this second time around. The first time around, I tool it for two years. I am taking 1mg three times daily. It only last 3-4 hours at most. When I wake up in the morning, I have a severe headache from going 10-12 hours without Ativan, I get severe headaches and deal with confusion. I also get severe rebound anxiety often. I am currently trying to wean off of this medication now and find a more suitable medication. I wish I would have never started taking this medication."

IrishTexan (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2018