User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

Ativan (lorazepam): "I've been on/off benzodiazapines for about 20 years. I am now back on ativan 1mg 3 times a day for anxiety/panic attacks and insomnia. I know I need an increase in dose soon, as it no longer relaxes me as much as it used to. I find ativan to be the best benzo. I've tried xanax, (which made me sleepwalk), valium, (which doesn't affect me really). I think I will stick to ativan and after 20 minutes, I feel a lot better. relaxed."

kerrylmcder January 4, 2017

"I take Lorazepam 1mg for anxiety. It really helps. My symptoms are heart racing, rescuing thoughts, sharing, hard to breathe, and the worst is heat flashes because I turn red and it makes me more embarrassed.. The only concern I have is when I take it consistently is good. But, I ran out a couple times. It's usually 2 or 3 days before I fill it. I noticed during those days I have more anxiety than I did before I ever started taking it. I would only get heat flashes one a week or so before I started this medication. The days I missed it I had an average 2-3 a day. I don't want this medication to make me worse.. Also, I feel like my memory and focus have decreased. I'm thinking of switching. Just sucks because I really like it otherwise."

H.a.928 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 3, 2017

"It helps me to not only become calm but to stay that way and if I take it at night it helps me sleep better along with my Ambien."

Jimelkins January 2, 2017

"I have bipolar, anxiety PTSD. I'm currently on and off new meds because of trial and error. Lithium didn't work, valium didn't work, the only thing that's been working to keep the extreme anxiety down is the lorazapam. I only take it just hefore I go into work and its wonderful I can calmly power through my 10 hour shifts with ease"

Sms090 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2016

"I've been taking Cipralex 20mg in the morning and 15mg Remeron at night and would take from 0.5mg to 1mg of lorazapam in the morning as this is when my anxiety is worst. Since my anxiety was not improving, I decided to get off the Remeron to reduce the Seratonin. Remeron was great for helping me sleep but the withdrawal was awful. I decided to use lorazapam to help me sleep which worked well for a while. Without the Remeron my morning anxiety became better and I started to have better days. This only lasted about a week. Pretty soon I was having sleeping problems and the lorazapam didn't help my daily anxiety either and in fact at times I felt worse. This is the downfall of lorazapam. You build up a tolerance and have to increase the dose."

Paul Mar December 28, 2016

"Elevated heart rate, sweating, chills, tingles/numbness and shortness of breath, blurred vision, chest pain, can't breathe... You name it I've felt it lol. I nearly overdosed on alcohol and cocaine when I was in high school. Made me realize I wasn't invincible and I have been an anxiety and panic sufferer ever since. Its only been about 13 years with the attacks but about 4 years ago I thought I was having a heart attack for the millionth time (hooked up to a machine and blood was all clear as always lol) and after the doctor prescribed Lorazepam and it has saved me many times. Including today lol. ONLY TAKE WHEN NEEDED. I HAVE AN ADDICTIVE PERSONALITY AND IT WOULD BE EASY TO USE THESE AS A CRUTCH. I only take one every couple days now."

Daniel S (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 25, 2016

"I have been dealing with anxiety now for bout 2 months. I'm worried that it will never go away. When I take the medication I feel so much better, however I'm am worried about being depended on the drug and withdrawal."

lisa nicole smith December 9, 2016

"From (way) past experiences, lorazepam works better than diazepam (Valium) or alprazolam (Xanax) when comparing correctly converted dosages, administered for the same purposes of anxiolysis for clinically significant anxiety related to adjustment disorders, and potentization of concurrently administered fentanyl or other narcotic for outpatient procedures, whether of a surgical nature, or diagnostic and imaging procedures for an individual who may have difficulty remaining still for extended periods of time, as in an MRI. While midazolam (Versed) is the traditional benzo- favorite to be combined with fentanyl via IV, especially for the better retro- and anteriograde amnesia it usually provides, midazolam is difficult to obtain by pill."

Prof. VanNordstrom, the Clinic (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

"I have been experiencing periodic anxiety attacks ever since my house caught on fire, five years ago. Doc initially prescribed two Ativan a day, one in the morning and one at night. It worked great, but I didn't like the drowsy side effect in the morning. But, I will tell you, it is a life saver to quell off an attack that's in full gear or one that you feel coming on. As I write this, I just woke up in the middle of an attack and took 1 mg and am starting to come down after an hour. I only take them as needed now, so I don't build up a tolerance to the medication. I hope this was helpful to a few of you that suffer out there too."

Eagle03 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 28, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "An excellent medication, out of all meds I tried none were as effective for managing my PTSD symptoms. Completely prevented flashbacks and nightmares and anxiety at night and allowed me to fall asleep very calmly. However I can't give it a 10 because I gained tolerance to the doses incredibly quickly, meaning I had to keep raising the dose to get the same effect, which is dangerous because it is a drug you can become physically addicted to. I would highly recommend this med to those seeking a short term fix while they are becoming stable on another long term med, but would not recommend it as a long term fix due to tolerance and addiction possibilities."

Polinda (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2016

"I took 2mg one night at the ER because I was having a panic attack and it worked quickly. But tonight I took 1mg before going to the mall on black friday because I knew it would be crowded and I'd get overwhelmed, so I took 1mg in advance before I went and it did nothing for me whatsoever. I left overwhelmed and very irritated after 15 minutes. I'm home now and feeling very irritated by the whole experience."

Scccc (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2016

"So I've been dealing with anxiety for a while but never took anything for it until now. I've noticed that it has made me very tired, very drowsy, and dizzy. I like that I am not having anxiety attack but the side effects do concern me."

Daramjwichoi November 9, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I am on lexapro since I was 16, so for the past basically five years I've struggled with anxiety. My doctor decided about three weeks ago to give me ativan as a "break the glass kind of emergency" immediate anxiety relief. I've only used it twice since then and I don't know how to describe this medicine other than quiet. It makes everything so quiet. and for someone with anxiety, its a miracle. I've learned what the on-set of an attack looks like, and by taking this medicine within thirty minutes I am calm, collected and have completely avoided what might have been a mental breakdown. Honestly, this drug is such a life saver. It does make you a little sleepy but nothing at all unbearable. I can take it any time of the day. its amazing."

MahryT06 November 2, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "Ativan is very good for anxiety. The trick is not to take it too often. I've found that I get used to dosages fast. I've also found that on the day following when I take it, I'm more tired, listless, and depressed. It's something to watch out for."

Owlem (taken for 10 years or more) October 30, 2016

"I was honestly writing for the last 30 mins while having an attack and I had taken one of my pills and I'm now sitting here "fine" ... also the page got closed and deleted all that I had been writing but it was probably for the better because I was honestly crying my heart out .."

Cody Munro October 17, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "About a week ago I experienced a somewhat traumatic event that kept me awake at night. I felt as soon as the sun went down my anxiety started to gradually rise until I had pain in my chest and was hypventilating. Nothing could calm me down or get me to sleep. I finally went to see my doctor and he gave me 10 days of Ativan. Last night was the first time I took one, or any benzo for that matter, and it was like a miracle worker. Within 10 minutes of taking one 0.5g sublingual tab it's like all the anxiety in me went out the window. I felt I still needed to control my thoughts to steer away from provoking an attack but it sincerely helped calm me down to a point where I felt safe and was able to sleep. Definitely recommend."

Noon999101 October 14, 2016

"Lorazepam is a good medication in low doses for anxiety. Personally, if I took more than 1mg, I experienced dizziness, double vision, the exact side effects I have with Ambien, which I use for a completely different reason. However, it does calm you down. If I had to be specific, it slows down your thoughts. It doesn't get rid of them and put you in some euphoric state, but it helps significantly. Unfortunately this calmness for me came with side effects I'd expect from a sedative, even at low doses."

diceable (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I'm speaking from nearly 10 years suffering from severe generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder. On a 1-10 scale, I'd say my anxiety is at a 12 on most days. My first panic attack brought me to the ER where I was introduced to the world of psychiatric meds, specifically, Ativan. What I will say to all of those who consider taking any benzodiazepines for their anxiety or panic attacks is that there is no benzo I would rather choose than Ativan. It provides not only relief from anxiety and panic attacks, but generally quells anxiety prone symptoms such as nausea, irritability etc., most effectively. I have never experienced much of a withdrawal effect, if at all, and the smaller half-life means less accumulation in your system."

MeepMeep92 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have used this medicine for inner ear problems, dizziness, that causes anxiety for 15 years 1.5 mg per day along with 100mg of Zoloft with very little side efects. It has helped me live with stress and anxiety that I had with my ear problem. Yes the Doctors don't know why this helps with inner ear problem, but that is O.K. it works. I know that Doctors are concerned about abuse and that sure can happen to a addictive person. I have never used more than what has been prescribed to me. This may some day come back to hurt me, but I am 72 now and it has significantly improved my quality of life. Any questions you want ask me. At rutoft64@gmail.com"

russellmeans (taken for 10 years or more) September 28, 2016

"this medicine saves my life when I'm having a panic attack. wish I could take this every day but it's addictive and I'm told to only take as needed. I also have IBS and this makes everything go away. when I take this I never have IBS I can eat whatever I want no worries and sleep amazing!! I'm starting Paxil as my every day and this just as needed so we will see how that goes. lorazepam saved my life though"

camillep1413 September 27, 2016

"I had major issues with anxiety for last 5 years--My doctor put me on Lorazepam-1MG x 2 a day. I was having major fatigue, could not handle any stress, and was withdrawing in my career. I am a nashville recording artist and for years on stage in concerts without any issues. Anyway I am so much better now --pills give me peace of mind, sleep so much better, and back in action.--- I highly recommend Lorazepam to anyone who is trying to deal day to day with anxiety and panic attacks. Life is tough and much more complicated than in the days past. My best to you"

Elvis2 September 16, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have had a prescription for Ativan for about 6 years. This was given to me after a diagnosis of GAD that was taking over my life. I have tried many SSRIs, SNRIs, and several off label drugs, but none helped. Most actually seemed to make my condition worse. I would take 0.5 - 1mg of Ativan on occasions when I felt out of control, and it would bring me relief. I have taken 0.5 - 1 mg in a day only as perscribed. Sometimes I have taken it daily for three months at this dosage. I was always terrified about the withdrawals you read so much about if you stop taking this, but I am perhaps one of the lucky ones who, at this dosage, can simply stop with no bad effects. I regularly stop for months at a time."

Allen1969 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 11, 2016

"Please, as a human being to others, DO NOT ABRUPTLY STOP TAKING THIS MEDICATION! Only after one month on this medication, I quit it and went through living HELL on earth! This is a very serious medication. God Bless."

"Z" (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I've got severe anxiety and panic attacks. I've been using lorazepam/avitan for a couple years now to help stop my panic attacks. I can always count on it to work. Last night my anxiety was through the roof. My mind wouldn't stop racing, my chest hurt, and it felt like I was being stabbed in the gut repeatedly. I want to cry but I knew if I did I would for sure have an attack and wasn't sure if I could cope right since I was home alone. I keep a vial of my prescription on my keys and took one tablet. In about half an hour I no longer felt like I was dying and was able to get some rest a little after that. I think if I didn't have this med I would have ended up at the hospital last night."

Jaderade August 23, 2016

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was super against taking medication. I've started dealing with anxiety (some depression) for awhile now. I got prescribed Ativan months ago, and never took it. I thought I could handle myself again but then my relationship started to fail because of my over thinking. I went back to the doctor, and decided to try it. She prescribed me .50 3 times a day. I took a full one at night after a bad panic attack, and within 30 minutes I was calm and slept through the entire night. I have only been taking a half morning and mid afternoon and full at night because it does make you feel tired. My brain is in a slight fog, but nothing crazy, I still know whats going on though :) Give it a try if you are suffering. You will know after 1."

kstew.321 August 16, 2016