User Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Ativan, Ativan Injection, Lorazepam Intensol

Lorazepam has an average rating of 8.0 out of 10 from a total of 555 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 76% of those users who reviewed Lorazepam reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.0/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam

Panzy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 21, 2021

“I’ve suffered with anxiety and depression since my teenage years. Get a referral to mental health system and scripted mirtazapine and vanflaxalin with .5 mg lorazepam 6 hourly as needed. I desperately try not to use lorazepam but it seems to be the only thing that helps my anxiety which comes out of the blue”

Astral · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2021

“So I had to take some Ativan for the first time yesterday as I was having a persistent anxiety attack throughout the day. 0.5mg under the tongue Now mind you this is my first time ever trying this drug so maybe that's part of why my reaction was as it was Almost immediately felt a slight heaviness on the body though the anxiety wasn't really affected. I'd explain the effect as feeling more like a Band-Aid to stop the anxiety from continuing back into another attack but it didn't get rid of the general anxiety and I found at times it actually felt like it enhanced it. Ended up laying down to go to sleep Woke up the next morning fairly depressed with stomach issues I'd say I'd recommend this only on the worst of days. While it did help keep me from persisting into my fourth anxiety attack, the anxiety itself didn't go away”

Trucker JFB · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2021

Ativan (lorazepam): “After an operation, he was great for 3 days. Became upset with nurses waking him for this or that, told them in no certain words to leave him alone and was shaking. They assumed he was an alcoholic just and he was having withdrawal from not being able to drink in hospital. On the 4 day and for 3 days later, couldn't talk, move on his own, or walk. Now in rehab, why would you give Ativan to someone who you thought was a drunk.”

Jen · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 18, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam): “This is a wonderful drug but should not be taken daily. I get ten pills per month. I take them when I have a bad bout of anxiety or insomnia etc. It resets me and stops the panic attack cascade that can happen from nights of insomnia. It parts the waves and allows me to pass through the difficulty. It can make you a little emotional after you stop if you take it a few days. I would not take it more than two or three consecutive days. It can be addictive. It can cause a little forgetfulness. For the most part I felt totally normal. It doesn’t have a weird affect it just takes away the gross fear. I’ve been taking .5-1mg several times per month for 5 years. I average 10 pills per month and have no issue stopping cold turkey. Benzos can be difficult to get off if you take them too frequently so beware.”

Honey bunny donuts · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 25, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam): “I have been on Ativan 1mg for almost three years now and whenever I’m super angry, anxious, jumpy it works wonders. For the past week I’ve been crying uncontrollably because of certain things going on and when people don’t show me any concern or comfort me I get irrationally angry and even chased my little sister for showing no sympathy. I’m a 23 year old woman and she’s a 16 year old girl so she’s got her own problems. I immediately took an Ativan and within 20 minutes they kicked in perfectly. I didn’t have an urge to cry anymore, I felt calm and relaxed, And kind of high and had a rational thought process. This is what effects Ativan usually has on me and sometimes I feel goofy and laugh at the most random things. But regardless I ❤️ This drug and couldn’t ask for better. I’ve been on clonazepam that’s ok but not as good as Ativan and I’ve been on Xanax once at the hospital but that made me even more anxious and my muscles jerked. I love Ativan so much”

dyslexic · Taken for 10 years or more April 9, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): “I take 6mg Ativan a day and will do for life, it saved my life there is nothing else to touch a benzodiazepine if your anxiety is off the scale. Yes you get tolerant but what else is there out there NOTHING that works in 20 minutes like Ativan. I am 67 and not going to worry myself with addiction and withdrawal. What would I withdraw to there is nothing out the. I have taken Ativan for 40 years and I am alive, I don't think I would be without it. ”

Mnich · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 5, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam): “Has gotten me through many sleepless nights and panic attacks. I only take it if I absolutely need to, to help me at night time when my anxiety is at its worse and only a dose of 0.5 mg. It almost always makes me sleepy and helps me sleep and normally I don't feel to groggy the next day.”

Bohemian Guy · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2021

Ativan (lorazepam): “Well, I got an intense anxiety attack at 2 am and somehow went through it that very unfortunate night . But the following morning I got my hands on Ativan and when the anxiety kicked in again I popped 1mg Ativan and it kicked in within an hour and gradually getting stronger. My heart rate slowed down which made me feel a lot better coz I thought I was gonna have a heart attack during my first anxiety attack . Made my mind more calmer and it put me off to sleep very peacefully only to wake up the next morning all fresh. I love Ativan coz it really helps me with my anxiety attacks . I have a racing thoughts issue and it solves it too .I have been on it for a month and I quit it cold turkey when I went back home but I didn't face any major withdrawal symptoms too. Thanks Ativan !”

Lu Lu · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2020

“About 2 years ago I started having panic attacks whenever I left the house, and I had terrible insomnia. I was also diagnosed with social anxiety, so I would always feel edgy when around people and this made me quite depressed. I started staying by myself and not going out much. My doctor prescribed 0.5 mg of Lorazepam. I've been taking it almost everyday for one month, and I feel a sense of calm and relief. My mind isn't racing anymore and I'm able to sit still and relax. I'm also sleeping better, and I'm able to concentrate more. I started going out in public again, and I've actually been able to enjoy myself. This medicine is a life-saver for me. I've had some drowsiness, but I just drink a cup of coffee and this helps me to feel alert, but still calm. Now that I'm able to leave the house again, my depression is getting better. I'm a little worried about building a tolerance to this medicine, but so far it's been helping me get my life back on track.”

Drugs · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam): “Ativan does the job. But you do NOT want to go through the withdrawal. It's very bad. I have generalized anxiety and panic disorder to the point where I can't leave the house unless I really have to. And ativan makes it a lot easier to leave the house. The withdrawal makes your anxiety come back with vengeance. It's bad. For the short term it's great but long term you become addicted and physically dependent on it. And you build a tolerance so it doesn't help you as much as initially taking it. I love ativan and recommend it to anyone suffering from anxiety. Just make sure you wean off it or you will feel like a life becomes a nightmare.”

Speced August 8, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “Lost my husband suddenly right next to me of a stroke during the night. It was a shock. I have PTSD, anxiety, and depression. Use Ativan in tiny dose to sleep . Do wake up very drowsy and super sensitive to meds. Can be addictive but not for me. Calms me while grieving.”

Dallas720 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 3, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam): “I've been on this medication since 2018 and it works wonders for my anxiety. The first time I took it was when I was having an anxiety attack in the mall when it was really crowded. I usually take 1mg along with drinking juice, water or even soda never grapejuice. The effects kick in between 45 min and 2 hours and I feel extremely calm, happy, silly and even loopy. I wish the effects lasted longer than 8 hrs though but I still love this drug regardless”

Inkaisua · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 25, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “I’ve been taking Ativan on an off for the past 9 years. Started on 0.5 mg, moved up to 1 mg per day as needed. I’ve heard and read about addiction horror stories, but I’ve personally never had to up my dose (except going from 0.5 to 1 mg) and haven’t had the urge to take more than prescribed. I suffer from major depression and generalized anxiety disorder. Ativan helps my anxiety immensely. Especially useful for full-blown panic attacks - within half an hour I feel normal again. At first it made me sleepy, but as my body got used to it, that side effect went away. There was a time when I was having debilitating anxiety on a daily basis, and my pdoc advised me that I could take up to 4 mg per day. Thankfully, I haven’t had the need to take that much. Overall, Ativan is a great medicine. I could go days without taking it with no adverse effects (I.e. withdrawal). This medicine works well for me. Good luck!!”

Sam · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “I had a health issue that started my panic attacks for two months. Started taking 1/2 Xanax and continued having panic attacks. After seeing the Dr. she gave me two 1 mg. of Ativan. In 15 minutes or so I was so calm and relaxed! Ativan really makes you very comfortable fast! I love that! Started on Zoloft for a long term fix. Now on 50 mgs a day. Wanting to get off both Ativan and Zoloft, I researched homeopathic options and found that L-theanine and Ashwagandha and Magnesium all have amazing reviews. So I’m going to try the combination of the three. Will be receiving the L-theanine and Magnesium today. I will update as soon as I see results! Hopefully will wean off of Zoloft and Ativan! God bless anyone who suffers!”

Hs · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “This is by far the scariest experience I have EVER had with a drug. Ativan immediately took the anxiety away but the after effects were horrible. I took it intermittently for 2 weeks and then noticed when I didn't take it consistently my anxiety was 100 percent worse. I was crawling out of my skin and so irritable. I also had uncontrollable muscle shaking and memory problems. This drug is very dangerous for some people. I'll stick to cognitive behavioral therapy.”

Jay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam): “Safe and effective medication as long as you do not become dependent on it. PLEASE avoid getting hooked on this medication as it is a benzo and withdrawal from benzos can be deadly. Has helped me manage severe panic attacks due to anxiety, depression and ocd. I take 0.5 mg if I am having a severe panic attack and it immediately helps take the edge off.”

Marie February 16, 2020

“I. Love. This. Drug. I take Prozac for my anxiety which helps stabilize me day to day wonderfully, but when my thoughts are racing and my therapy techniques aren’t working and I’m on the verge of a panic attack this drug lorazepam works wonders. I’ll take .5mg and my mind goes quiet and calm within thirty minutes. If I take at night I fall asleep quickly, but I also have no problem staying awake on it if I take during the day. Lorazepam renders you a happy calm and the slightest bit loopy, but not in an incapacitating way. I’ve never experienced any negative side effects or withdrawal symptoms, likely because I take it very sparingly. Which leads me to... IMPORTANT NOTE: My doctor has warned me of how highly addictive this drug is so I only take it as a last resort, I have only taken ten pills in one and a half years. From all I have read and from my doctors warnings I would never use this as a daily drug- that’s what meds like Prozac are for!”

Miss K · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “I had been having extreme anxiety and panic attacks for 4 or 5 days and didn’t feel like I could handle them on my own anymore. I went to the ER and they gave me Ativan to calm down. I’m not sure what the dosage was but it was in pill form. At that point I had been crying non stop for 3 hours as I was very scared and my heart was beating very fast. Within half an hour or so I could feel the medication working as it took the edge off of my anxiety. When I went home I immediately fell asleep and stayed asleep. I also hadn’t been sleeping well so that was a relief. It worked really well for me, but I only took it at the ER and haven’t taken it consecutively as a prescription. The only downside was I felt very groggy and foggy the next couple of days, but that could be attributed to exhaustion. Overall it really helped me a lot.”

lenalena · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2014

Ativan (lorazepam): “Long story short, I am terrified of medication , the first time I took Ativan I had already got myself all worked up about having to take it that when I did I went into full blown panic attack. It was not because of this med , it was my own doing. The second and third time I took it, it worked well . Allowed me to get through the entire day like myself again. Even took the depression away that I have caused from anxiety . I have only taken it 3 times in the last month since was prescribed it . Since I've read how addicting this can be I have been very careful about taking it only when I really need it.”

Myself · Taken for 10 years or more August 4, 2019

“I am 64 years old and still work full time running my own cleaning business. I have been taking 1mg ativan for over 40 years. I have never asked another doctor for refills. I have never lost a prescription. I treat my anxiety and panic and insomnia with this medication and I don't have any problems until recent. My doctor who I have had all my life passed away and I was forced to find a new doctor. I started looking and was shocked to see they all wanted to put me on antidepressants and quit my ativan . Needless to say I was shocked after researching the side effects of the antidepressants. I do really well on my Ativan and persisted looking for a new doctor. Finally god gave me a new doctor who understood I just want to live my life as I have in the past. People be prepared for doctors to treat you like a drug addict and make you feel terrible about yourself. One doctor actually gave me pamphlets for a drug rehab center. Good luck to you all”

Happy customer · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 21, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “the doctor gave me Ativan for treating bad anxiety/panic attacks. I just take 1/2 of a 1mg pill when I’m experiencing a panic attack. (The doctor was very reluctant to prescribe it as it is a benzo) but in my opinion it is 100% better than the long term stuff which just completely messed up my moods and made me depressed which I never was before. I keep the Ativan with me and if I start to feel a bad attack coming on I have 1/2 a pill and am completely fine again within 15 mins. It’s been a life saver for me as my panic attacks would sometimes last days and I’d be throwing up, the whole deal. Ativan has really helped, I’ve only had to use it twice in six months, but just knowing it’s there if I need it is great. The only side effect I get is drowsiness but usually I take it at night anyway so it’s good. I also get a lot of relief from cognitive behavioral therapy like tapping and meditating.”

Jr · Taken for 10 years or more October 17, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “I like Ativan better than valium but not xanax be careful on any benzodiazepines. They will mess with your brain up cause memory loss. I've been on them for 20 years. No way can I go off them now. I'm screwed. I tried twice and went insane. I kicked a 4 year opiate addiction with the help of suboxone and that was hard. Kicking benzos makes kicking opiates like candy. Trust me benzodiazepines are dangerous. My Dr never warned me of the addiction until I switched drugs. About 5 years in. Isn't that nice? I live with them they keep me calm. I have very bad anxiety but knowing what I know now I would have took a shot of vodka a couple times a day. I'm not a drinker but it beats the side effects of benzos. Moderation is the key.”

Zion · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “I’ve done research as I suffer from anxiety I had a doctor prescribe me Xanax and from all I’ve read online they are almost identical to each other. I would rate Xanax much Lower than Ativan. Ativan truly cures anxiety and all I need is 1 pill for 3 days and I feel normal and functioning. Xanax makes you feel drunk and wake up with an anxious “hangover”. Must be my genetic make up but I highly prefer Ativan just do not abuse it. You must respect this medication”

Star · Taken for 10 years or more October 7, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “I've been taken Ativan since 2008 for the last five years I went up from 2 mg a day to 3mg I want to get off this drug because I feel my brain is cloudy. I went to my doctor and he gave me a schedule how to wean off but his schedule is not working for me I've been trying to wean off for the last 2 weeks and I finally got down to 2 mg today I feel a lot of anxiety and I had to take another half milligram the calm me down. Does anyone have any suggestions do I need to go to a hospital I have no family to help me ?”

Louise · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 10, 2020

“I have been taking a low dose of lorazepam for years. The last two months I have been feeling different when I take it. Also the pills seem to have a different texture. Sure enough, I called the pharmacist and was told they changed manufacturers two months ago and cannot order from the original manufacturer any longer. Obviously it makes a difference in the manufacturers!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2014

Ativan (lorazepam): “I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks that happen unexpectedly. I am also taking an SSRI with the Ativan but the Ativan is on an as needed basis and has helped tremendously the tightness in my chest is relieved and the irregular heartbeat slows down, anxiety and panic is a very scary thing to experience and Ativan has helped me get through those tough times, would absolutely recommend it.”

Mia January 15, 2020

“I've been on lorazepam for over 20 years. 1mg twice a day as needed. Have to take one at night because my brain never stops. It was my saviour med. If someone says they have something that will stop your paralyzing panic attacks and non stop anxiety, what would you do? I jumped right on it. Now I can't find a med doctor who wants to prescribe it! They want to put me in rehab?? I've had two heart attacks from my panic attacks so no, I'm absolutely terrified to get off the med. I also have very high blood pressure. So what I'm seeing is this could be the end of me because lorazapam is the only thing giving me somewhat of a normal life and Dr won't prescribe it. I'm Agoraphobic, have such bad panic attacks that they wake me up. Sometimes twice a night. I also suffer from depression, PTSD, OCD. Looks like I'm doomed. Thx doctors”

Bear · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “I have extremely bad anxiety that started at 8 years old when my essential tremor started. It’s a vicious cycle. Shaking causes anxiety, anxiety causes shaking to become more pronounced and it leaves me in constant fear. Anxiety became so bad recently that I had to go to the ER! I couldn’t even leave the house. Doctor gave me 1mg of Ativan within 30 minutes was calmer than I felt in months. It was SO hard to find a psychiatrist that would prescribe them but I did and now I take .5mg as needed but literally when needed!! I have 90 pills but have only needed 1. I force myself through the moderate anxiety as I am terrified of becoming addicted. (I DO NOT have an addictive personality though, never have) anyways I find these a absolute life saver and for some reason just knowing I have them on me calms my anxiety. I 100% recommend ONLY when needed in extreme cases!!! Force yourself through the moderate anxiety.”