User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

Ativan (lorazepam): "Doctor prescribed ativan super willy-nilly because I've been dealing with panic attacks, and told me to take a 1mg tablet when I need to. Tried a 1mg tablet while panicking, and the effect is just unpleasant. I definitely feel that there are less 'voices' in my head; everything is much more quiet. But I'm also extremely drowsy.. so much so that I doubt I'd be able to take ativan at work (where my anxiety actually occurs). I'm also having strange muscle pains.. just feels like a really lame weed high. I won't try it again."

AmyAmyAmy November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"About 4 years ago I started having early-morning awakening/insomnia/anxiety after excessive alcohol consumption the night before. Discovered that I could prevent this by taking diazepam my wife had lying around. When this ran out my GP prescribed lorazepam 0.5 mg. Gradually this lost effectiveness (tolerance) so I quit, also cut down on alcohol. A year ago I had a stressful situation and started 0.5 mg daily for a month, but was able to stop again with no side effects. However, my early-morning awakening/insomnia/anxiety had become chronic and independent of alcohol. A month ago I started 0.5 mg daily for 10 days, had a severe withdrawal, had to taper off. So, yes, like others wrote here: it works great, but not for chronic use."

skywheel (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"During several years of dealing with a psychotic family member in the home, I was on any number of psych meds. Ativan is the only one that works reliably when dealing with a screaming nutcase on a continuing basis. It's smoothing out the rough patches of the divorce now too. When I am under constant stress, I take 0.5mg 3 times a day. DO NOT discontinue suddenly. Taper off 0.5mg per day or every other day - You want to taper off over at least 5 days."

Somebody Else (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have had various SSRI's and etc - nothing worked. Just gone on 2.5mg ativan and feel it has saved my life. Seems I had crippling anxiety without being aware of it, as no panic attacks etc. So there are some people with bad experiences, but do not generalise."

Hummingbird 17 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "I had a nervous breakdown last year. Thought death was imminent and I would go to hell. My psychiatric CNP would not prescribe benzos. I was completely terrified, like a 2 month long panic attack. Went to the ER twice. They gave me ativan and I felt blissful relief. Right back to the terror the next day. I have a prescribing psychologist now who would give it to me if I needed it. But finally got prescribed clonazepam. It was okay but not nearly as good as the ativan. I used it for a while until the morbid dread subsided, had no rebound problems. Maybe if I took it for months on end I would. But nothing but benzos worked for me."

bpmabq (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "Just wanted to share my experience with SSRI's not good ,so I was put on Remeron ,still never took the edge off still had a lot of anxiety and other problems associated with anxiety. I have taken Ativan off an on for about 10 years with no side effects when going off for periods of time.So I consider it one of the better medications to take to get relief from anxiety.So give it a try. Thank you"

Feeling well November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Miracle drug for short term use. You get withdrawal problems after u grow a dependence to it. It will be dangerous like alcohol if you stop cold turkey. You have got to tapper off but works really good if u use when u get anxiety"

BobbyLue November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "Makes me more anxious. Higher doses are worse."

ReservedGene (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started out being prescribed lorazapam for anxiety. Which works wonders for me. I also have chronic nausea with unknown cause and I noticed that when I feel really nauseated whether its from anxiety or some other reason it completly takes it away! It is truly a miracle medicine for me. Only down fall is it can be addictive and if I take it daily on a consistent basis. I did notice when I don't take it I get shaky all through my body which is not a nice feeling at all and my head gets dizzy and just a weird feeling. I would definitely recommend lorazapam to anyone who suffers from anxiety, nervousness or nausea. It is wonderful!"

Miracle medicine (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Lorazepam 1mg as needed for about 6 months for Panic Disorder. It is the only thing I have found that helps me with minimal side effects. It is just frustrating dealing with doctors and psychiatrists who do not like the drug and want to keep experimenting on me with different drugs. I feel like my anxiety would calm down significantly if I was allowed to take this at a small dose every day, rather than only when I have panic attacks but for now I am following doctor's orders."

AB92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I been taking this medicine 0.5 Milligram it works perfectly fine no side effects it helps me calm down helps me to sleep I was dying everyday before I started this medicine. I used to feel so stressed out this lorazepam has given my life back. As long as you don't take it stupidly. I'd rather take this medicine and not feel like rubbish everyday. I don't care what other people say about this medicine this medicine has been great for me - that's it"

Ricky Singh September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on this medication for about a year now and I'm positive it works for me. I was diagnosed with MS and had a lot of anxiety and depression. This drug helps me calm down and take a different approach to things."

Anonymous September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"That medication saved my life. I was having panic and anxiety. Ativan helps me to function normally. It a magic medication. All anxiety and panic disappear on it. I'm very thankful for that medication."

Anna1978 (taken for 10 years or more) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "For immediate relief this drug is great. I take 0.5mg when I absolutely need it (2-3x every couple months.) but only reason I wouldn't give it a 9 or 10 because I did have a bad experience with this drug. I took it for 7 days straight 3x .5mg per day as prescribed by my doctor for generalized anxiety disorder. I abruptly stopped taking it because I didn't want to have to take it everyday and I ended up going thru a withdraw. I then got vertigo for a couple months, which was absolutely terrible. BUT I think it you use this drug responsibly and do NOT take it multiple days in a row it can definitely come in handy. I also have high blood pressure caused by anxiety, and usually get effective relief after about 30 minutes. Hang in there!"

SlowRex September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 35 year old female with Bipolar Disorder Type 1 and generalised anxiety. I've been taking lorezapam off and on for about seven years, only during panic attacks or particularly bad spells when my anxiety can't be managed by the coping techniques I've learned over the years through CBT, mindfulness meditation, etc, and my daily mental health medications (quetiapine, venlafaxine, and topiramate). When I do need to use it lorezapam is a godsend. It works more quickly than diazepam, which I'd previously tried, which is what you want when you're in the midst of a panic attack or suffering badly with anxiety. It's very effective without being too much and I haven't had any side effects, just slight sedation."

DollyZ (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "So with my Schizoaffective disorder, in the mornings I get moody and grumpy and little stressed, so I take 1 mg before going to work and in 30 minutes exactly magic happens and I feel relaxed and calm which leads to better communication at work since I'm a peer support worker. works great 10/10"

kilo_canada August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking 1-2mg as needed for panic disorder. I try to limit taking it 2, 3 times a week and only when my anxiety is so bad I can not cope with it on my own. I do not want to be on antidepressants because of the side effects so this is a great option for me."

AB92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "My husband was 38 years old and committed suicide while taking Ativan. This medication was administered to him from two different psychiatrists. Ativan was prescribed for his anxiety. He took it in combination with Welbutrin for his depression. He was on Ativan for approximately three months. The medication made his heart race because of the lethal combination mixing with Welbutrin for his depression. He became manic, paranoid, and had extreme body tremors, insomnia, and many many trips to Emergency Room from side effects. This company knows it can cause suicide and writes it on the label. Do not take it."

Do not take this medication (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had severe anxiety for a couple of years. My attacks get so bad, I feel I need to run as far away as I can. Taking Lorazepam 3mg a day has been a tremendous help. I have read comments about going off the medicine and the difficult withdrawls, but if something works in your personal lifestyle where nothing else has, why shouldn't you be able to stay on this medication as long as you need it? It's like high blood pressure. If you have it and can't get it under control, medications are key. No one starts telling you that you should stop the medication. For some, Lorazepam is a lifesaver. Maybe not for everyone, but for me, in my situation it is."

CCMoonsong (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "I forgot how well this stuff works. I've been using Ativan every so often for six years. I hadn't taken it in ages but had a panic attack tonight and I feel really good now after taking it. I know when my anxiety was a lot worse, it didn't bring me down to 0 anxiety but took the edge off. At one point in the past I was taking it pretty much daily but never became dependent on it (I only take the 0.5mg dose). I do feel kind of sleepy, but pleasantly so. In my experience the sublingual (under the tongue) type works a lot better than the normal swallowed pills."

ANXiousfriend (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "If I take 3mg's this works very well for anxiety and it works quickly, the only thing is it usually also makes me sleepy so I try to only take it when I know I can go take a nap if need be, other than that no complaints."

5150Aries (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having anxiety attacks 6 years ago while visiting my baby in the NICU center she was born at 25weeks weighing 1 lb 15oz.....at that visit I started feeling chest pains and I instantly thought I was dying from a heart attack only to be told it was anxiety. Dr tried me on med from Lexapro to Paxil to visitaril TO BUSPAR TO XANAX,Zoloft. The Xanax works really well for me, but I was seen in ER yesterday for heart palpitations, chest pain, muscle and body weakness, blood pressure elevated heart rate elevated I thought it was the end of my life, The dr then said he would give me an injection of Ativan sent me home with some as well.....Last night was the first night I was able to sleep peacefully thanks to Ativan,,"

Dae87 July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "Female, 21. Developed a panic disorder and hypochondria at 16. I did CBT therapy for a long time which helped immensely. I would go to the ER and Dr constantly. I would have a hard time falling asleep because I would panic I would die. I have been on this for 6 years, 0.5mg-1mg as needed. I only took it when in the throws of panic during a time when I did not know how to cope. It has done absolute wonders for me. I take 0.5mg only a few times a year now just when my GAD gets to be too much or anxiety disrupts my sleep for more than a few days. It's wonderful in small doses, as needed, and combined with CBT. I have had no side effects or withdrawal except if you take it when you aren't panicking and on occasion it can make you quite sleepy."

Gardeniaaa July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "I'd been having problems with insomnia and anxiety, both conditions feeding off each other and making the other worse and creating mild depression. My GP prescribed 0.5mg to be taken at bed time as needed, to be increased to 1mg if needed (only gave me 14 tablets as they are habit forming). Amazing results! I slept through the night and woke feeling calm and NORMAL for the whole next day AND the day after! I've taken 3 doses in the last 11 days, and took 1mg after a particularly stressful day with the same good results. No side effects of note except for a very mild headache 24 hours after the first dose. I'm expecting to have a decreased need for these after starting a new job in the next week but so happy to have them to get me through."

AMtgr (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given a double dose of Ativan IV in the hospital and 1mg dose pills for home! Only took .25 on occasion and now I'm having withdrawal symptoms!Can anyone answer my question about Ativan being addictive with only .25 mg occasionally?"

Tina57 July 15, 2017