User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

"I had major issues with anxiety for last 5 years--My doctor put me on Lorazepam-1MG x 2 a day. I was having major fatigue, could not handle any stress, and was withdrawing in my career. I am a nashville recording artist and for years on stage in concerts without any issues. Anyway I am so much better now --pills give me peace of mind, sleep so much better, and back in action.--- I highly recommend Lorazepam to anyone who is trying to deal day to day with anxiety and panic attacks. Life is tough and much more complicated than in the days past. My best to you"

Elvis2 September 16, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have had a prescription for Ativan for about 6 years. This was given to me after a diagnosis of GAD that was taking over my life. I have tried many SSRIs, SNRIs, and several off label drugs, but none helped. Most actually seemed to make my condition worse. I would take 0.5 - 1mg of Ativan on occasions when I felt out of control, and it would bring me relief. I have taken 0.5 - 1 mg in a day only as perscribed. Sometimes I have taken it daily for three months at this dosage. I was always terrified about the withdrawals you read so much about if you stop taking this, but I am perhaps one of the lucky ones who, at this dosage, can simply stop with no bad effects. I regularly stop for months at a time."

Allen1969 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 11, 2016

"Please, as a human being to others, DO NOT ABRUPTLY STOP TAKING THIS MEDICATION! Only after one month on this medication, I quit it and went through living HELL on earth! This is a very serious medication. God Bless."

"Z" (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I've got severe anxiety and panic attacks. I've been using lorazepam/avitan for a couple years now to help stop my panic attacks. I can always count on it to work. Last night my anxiety was through the roof. My mind wouldn't stop racing, my chest hurt, and it felt like I was being stabbed in the gut repeatedly. I want to cry but I knew if I did I would for sure have an attack and wasn't sure if I could cope right since I was home alone. I keep a vial of my prescription on my keys and took one tablet. In about half an hour I no longer felt like I was dying and was able to get some rest a little after that. I think if I didn't have this med I would have ended up at the hospital last night."

Jaderade August 23, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was super against taking medication. I've started dealing with anxiety (some depression) for awhile now. I got prescribed Ativan months ago, and never took it. I thought I could handle myself again but then my relationship started to fail because of my over thinking. I went back to the doctor, and decided to try it. She prescribed me .50 3 times a day. I took a full one at night after a bad panic attack, and within 30 minutes I was calm and slept through the entire night. I have only been taking a half morning and mid afternoon and full at night because it does make you feel tired. My brain is in a slight fog, but nothing crazy, I still know whats going on though :) Give it a try if you are suffering. You will know after 1."

kstew.321 August 16, 2016

"Before I explain, let me start off by saying; I do not take meds, not even for a headache.. this is a very rare circumstance. My Dr knows this and will ask me if I'm going to fill the prescription as to not waste either of our time. I usually say no and we discuss non medicinal ways to cope. This time I said yes and got .5mg lorazepam and in the 3 days I've taken them I'm more anxious!"

DealWithIt (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

"The withdrawal of this medicine was very close to my image of hell. It was awful and lasted one whole month. Awful. Sweats. Insomnia. Shakes. Hallucinations. Panic. Spaced out. Pain. Depression Not worth it at all. So sad humans have to experience such pain"

Ben26394 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I started off at .50 mg then to 1mg before bed. I had many issues going on in life and I was having trouble falling asleep. This helped in the beginning, but my dose is going up and up. I admit, I take this more than I should, so I understand there's an addictive nature to this. Just be careful, and talk to your doctor if you notice that. The best part of this drug; I get a good night sleep and I'm not waking up 3x a night."

AnSF99 August 1, 2016

"When I took it for the first two weeks it was a miracle worker. I would feel better within 45 minutes but I seem to grow use to it because although it still clams me down it doesn't completely relax me. I take one milligram as needed. I definitely keep it on me at all times."

Luna93 (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

"If you're using this drug for anxiety make sure you read up on it before you use it for more then an occasional anxiety-fix. Even at the minimal dosage, using this stuff daily for even a week will cause problems. Namely - it CAUSES anxiety. From what I've read this is a dependence that develops - either (or both) physical or mental. After only a few times you get accustomed to it "fixing" your situation. Your body adjusts for the GABA boost, and then "crashes" - resulting in anxiety. Very bad loop to get in. Warning signs: you're counting the # hours the med will still be working (about 6 total), you're watching the clock for when you might be able to take another pill, you always carry a pill in your pocket, etc. Those are bad signs."

Anonymous July 15, 2016

"I had hyperthyroidism which was diagnosed when I was 37 . The hyperthyroidism gave me anxiety specially after knowing I had it. Would go to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack or stroke and was checked always and nothing was wrong. My anxiety attacks were so bad I once was taken in an ambulance with my feet and hands numb and blood pressure through the roof. Was given by a doctor in the ER 1 mg of lorazepam and felt the difference within 20 minutes.My thyroid got burned of and I take 1 mg in the morning and really can get through the day with no issues. Take sometimes .5 mg at night as I don't have sleep issues. After almost 2 years I feel like lorazepam has almost gotten me stable and going to start tapering off.Its a life saver."

Miami Girl July 15, 2016

"Good"

William 717171 July 9, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "Hey Everyone, I take 2mg of Ativan a day. 1 mg in the morning and 1 mg at night before bed. I have been diagnosed with Severe Panic Attack and Depression. Lorazepam (Generic brand for Ativan) does help me. Understand that the effects for any medication is going to vary person to person. I don't get sleepy in the morning when I take it, but it does help me get a good night's sleep at night when I'm tired. Also, I do want to say: Recently, my pharmacy didn't give me the exact amount of pills of Ativan, so I have been off of it "cold turkey" because I ran out and the withdrawal symptoms can be a hellish. Note: Anybody can be dependent on any medication/drug. Talk to your Psychiatrist. REMEMBER...everyone responds to medication differently."

You.are.not.alone July 8, 2016

"My wife had a heart attack, at the hospital, she went into arithmia and flat lined in front of me, they saved her but it took chest compressions and being shocked with paddles. Before this happened I never had a anxiety attack in my life, but not even a week later I ended up going to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack, it was a anxiety attack, they gave me lorenzapam 1mg, but I wouldn't take them, attacks came and went for the next 2 weeks, then I was sure I was having a heart attack one day, after thoroughly checking me out at ER again, it was another anxiety attack. They gave me a lorenzapam 1 mg, with in 10 min symptoms severely reduced, after an hour, gone. I now take only if needed, they definitely work for me."

Anonymous July 7, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I recently experienced a week of panic attacks. The first 3 times I took a pill...they were .5, it worked and I could calm down. After that the small dose did not work and I landed in the ER. I take nothing else and haven't taken any other benzo in years. I'd like to give it a lower rating due to the fact that dependency happens so fast if you aren't careful and can't cope other ways. They are definitely a bandaid. They do work though to stop panic . Just be careful and only take as necessary. Side effect..calm and sleepy..in a daze. Took an hour for them to kick in also."

Tuffygal (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have severe flight anxiety and was prescribed Ativan 5-10 years ago to take before flights. It works really well, and gives me this deep feeling of calm that helps me not panic on planes. I used to shake for an entire eight hour flight, and while my anxiety doesn't entirely disappear with a 2mg dose, it's vastly more manageable. I haven't really noticed any side effects aside from feeling sleepy and having my mind wander a bit."

Boopsoo June 29, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "Taken it a few times/packets.. Found it did not much but was on other meds like concerta and suboxone... Taken now, at 2.5mg four times a day it's not xananx but it does the job if you are agitated or panicked"

God backwards June 29, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE TAKING! Consult with your doctor but also be aware of the side effects involved. Symptoms include dizziness, fatigue, muscle weakness, slowed speech, muscle spasms, twitching / fidgeting, nightmares. Not for everyone."

TH1RT33N June 26, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "Works great! Been suffering with anxiety for a while now was very hesitant on taking any kind of medication was given this medication in the hospital and within 20 minutes I felt relaxed and calm wish I wasn't so hesitant and took it sooner. Great for when anxiety attack comes on"

Vickyyyyyy A June 3, 2016

"Helps take the edge off, but also works fairly quickly. I like it better than Xanax because it seems to last longer."

Bengals June 2, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I take it as needed, I have depression and it gets out of control at time, I take 1 mg. and in 10 - 15 minutes I am ok."

Life long battle (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2016

"I have taken .05 mg 1/2 pill 2x a day as needed, usually just 1/2 pill before bed to ease anxiety to sleep, there have been times when I was having severe panic attacks & have used up to 2 pill a day. I have GAD & this pill have same me many times from running to the ER. Mental health is no joke. Being very sensitive to meds a small dose helps me, you will need to find what works best for you. Too high dose can cause drowsiness or put you to sleep. I also take Zoloft for anxiety & deoression. Been on these meds for 5 years now, it works for me! Talk to your doctor always, best to be prescribed by psychiatrist since they specialize in these matters. Good luck in your journey! Your never alone there's always help available if you seek it!! "

Lisapet May 13, 2016

"This drug nearly ruined my life. But, you don't have to believe me. Just go google "lorazepam withdrawal" or "ativan withdrawal" and you can see it for yourself. I was never told how horrific the withdrawal would be from this medicine. I have spent nearly 5 months in extreme anxiety that is nearly 50 times the intensity of the anxiety I had when starting this med. The doctors are not educated on the w/d of this med because the pharm companies do not release these studies because then they wouldn't prescribe it! I became agitated, suicidal, depressed and PTSD-like symptoms from this drug. Not one person warned me and I just took it everyday like the bottle said, many times LESS than prescribed. PLEASE do your research!"

cleangrrl777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2016

"BEWARE!! Some people have no problem with this benzodiazepine yet there are many who do such as myself. I took it for hyper thyroid. It has ruined the last 14 months of my life!!! Words cannot express the mental and physical torture I experience daily. PLEASE Google Professor Ashton to read the side effects. Visit Benzo Buddies. You will learn about the horrors these meds cause as well as success stories of those who survived this! There has been a bill introduced in Massachusetts to get doctors to warn their patients!! Warn everyone you know! Don't be fooled! My world has been turned upside down and I don't want it to happen to you!!"

mcnj May 2, 2016

"This stuff is good. I use 0.5mg and i feel relaxed or 1mg if i have a panic attack. It helps alot and can help with sleep problems. I use it whenever i have anexity not everyday. Havent needed the stuff for 3 weeks so its not addicting for me at all."

TheReviewDude (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016