User Reviews for Lorazepam systemic

Also known as: Ativan

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

Ativan (lorazepam): "Got on this after a nervous breakdown due to my mom nearly died and my job announced they were closing. I started having my heart skip beats which sent me spiralling into about two weeks of severe insomnia, depression, and panic. When I went to my doctor in tears he prescribed me Ativan. That night I finally slept.. and I kept taking 0.5mg for a week. I then began to improve so I began to taper to 0.25 mg and the second day on it I had withdrawal symptoms of a headache, panic, and nausea. The symptoms lasted 2 days and have finally subsided. I plan to taper again after another week. This medicine works wonders but you need to have an exit strategy fast."

Jim (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2018

"Was prescribed this after a nervous breakdown left me with severe insomnia for 2 weeks leading to daily panic attacks and severe depression. I took 0.5mg at night and finally passed out. I still had some residual anxiety for a few days but I was able to cope. Now after 7 days of 0.5mg at night I started to taper off to 0.25mg per night to get off of the med and am experiencing minor withdrawals. Last night I had nausea and anxiety attacks leading to some sleep loss. I plan to fight through it at 0.25mg per night for the next 4 days then do down to 0.125mg for a week then stop... Be careful on this stuff, it works wonders, but make sure you have an exit in mind. I am frightened to think of how the withdrawal would be had I not started tapering so soon."

Jim (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I've been on 0.5mg of ativan. This is my second day. It instantly started helping me overall in every way. But I get real tired, but thats OK. I'll deal with that. I've never been on a nerve medicine before. I simply love it. It has turned a light on in my brain. I feel great and can handle things so much better. Its great."

Emmy November 29, 2018

"I did use this medicine for a week but I wasn't satisfied with the results "

frankedison677 (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Yes, it will stop panic attacks, but good luck coming off it. I was having severe anxiety after a bad spell of taking Lexapro, which made my anxiety worse and gave me constant panic attacks, so my doctor had me taking .5 mg three times a day. I was so grateful to have some relief that I didn't question the dose, but the more I read about dependence, the more nervous I became. I started tapering off it after only a month and I thought I was going to die. Hallucinating, insomnia where I didn't sleep for days, couldn't keep down solid food, crippling depression and agoraphobia...it was a nightmare and I was contemplating checking in to a hospital. I eventually transitioned to buspirone and eventually Pristiq. Such a nightmare. I can't recommend Ativan to anyone who may be sensitive to benzos."

EJK (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "1st time sharing a story or review but I just think this is so important to talk about and let others know. My mother is only 60 years old and has been suffering from depression and anxiety and also panic attacks for about 15 years. 3 months ago my dad pass away so my mom had a breakdown and ever since has been crying complaining about pain on her chest....palpitations...suicidal thoughts. The antidepressant she is taking doesn't seem to help her at all. So we took her to the hospital because we don't know how to help her. No medication helps for her, only ativan is the medication that makes all the above go away ..but doctor doesn't want to prescribe it to her."

worried daughter October 27, 2018

"I was hospitalized with Pneumonia and was having very severe anxiety issues. I was having horrible tremors that would not stop. The first time I was put on a antianxiety drug it was buspar. That was a bad mistake. I went to the ER with such horrible tremors that I was put on Lorazapam to control my tremors. I was given a 2mg dosage which worked like a charm to control them. I have only been on them since the tenth of October. when I saw my PCP recently he was worried about them not being affective enough . So he upped the Dosage to .05 I took my first dose today. Within hrs of taking this I was shaking so badly that it scared me. I called the on call doctor at my clinic and was told to go back to the 2 mg dose. I did just that. I feel a little more under control now. But I will never use that high a dose again. On Monday I am going to give him a earful of what happened when he decided to do this. I am not so sure that I want to stay on antianxiety meds after this."

nyzki (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2018

"Lorazepam saved me. At my worst it was the only thing that kept me being able to function. 2 months ago I had some form of a breakdown and began suffering severe panic/anxiety attacks. During that time I've managed to go to work, look after my kids, socialise etc. there is no doubt in my mind that if it wasn't for lorazepam I would have spent the past 2 months in bed. I take it as I need it - sometimes nothing, sometimes up to 2mgs a day. Only side effects have been headaches and (when I don't use it for a few days) very vivid dreams. Using other therapies to manage my situation also."

Leo88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I am the 1% of people who take Ativan and suffer from extreme anxiety and paranoia. If you experience these symptoms you are NOT alone, but you should stop taking the medication (with help of a doctor) . Once I stopped taking it I felt so much better and was not paranoid or filled with anxiety."

K (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Ativan works for me. Diazepam does not."

Lindsay (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

"I have had anxiety and depression real bad for 7 months. Was prescribed venlafaxine and lorazepam. Venlafaxine was increased every two weeks till I was on the higher dosage, but it did not work. Now on Sertraline 150mg, have been using 1 month no difference yet. Lorazepam I was on 1mg once daily and it was great I felt normal, then it started to be less effective so was told take 2 a day. Now it is less effective again as I am tolerant to it, I know I am addicted to it but I need help to get through this. I am tired of the anxiety and crying all the time."

sharon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was prescribed this to take prior to a MRI. I had been taking Klonopin for my anxiety which is more slow acting so thought I would try this. It immediately calmed me down before the MRI and I felt good after. I spoke with my PCP about trying this instead of Klonopin and she was ok with that at 1 mg twice a day as needed. The first week was fine and then during week two I was having a lot of panic attacks, chest tightness and insomnia. I suffer from MS so never sure what is MS related or anxiety caused problems. I have decided to go back to the Klonopin. It doesn't kick in as fast but lasts much longer and I feel much better on it."

Newk (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2018

"Started this almost a month ago. GAD, PTSD. I was on Xanax 9 years 1 mg daily worked amazing. Dr said had to get of so I did. Wasn’t bad getting off took lexapro and had no bad withdrawals. Dr then put me on this ativan 0.5 a day. Good for anxiety but I’m so tired all day long. I could sit and fall asleep. When it comes to night time I take half ambian to help me fall asleep because by then activan wears off."

Bai (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Great medication for anxiety! Helps me survive."

Nina August 29, 2018

"Usually only take it when work gets stressful as I get really bad insomnia due to that fact. I've been taking 0.5mg for roughly 4 years now as needed, never experience any super negative side effects from it thus far. I would definitely recommend this medication for those who only experience certain bouts of anxiety from time to time, but wouldn't rely on this medication to subside your anxiety on a long term basis."

Stevie D (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Terrible and dangerous. Muscle jerking, auditory hallucinations, jumpy all day. Even WORSE anxiety. If it is not life or death. Do not take!!!!"

Jasq (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2018

"I have been taking Ativan for almost three years now this second time around. The first time around, I tool it for two years. I am taking 1mg three times daily. It only last 3-4 hours at most. When I wake up in the morning, I have a severe headache from going 10-12 hours without Ativan, I get severe headaches and deal with confusion. I also get severe rebound anxiety often. I am currently trying to wean off of this medication now and find a more suitable medication. I wish I would have never started taking this medication."

IrishTexan (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2018

"Has anyone been on this drug for 25 - 30 years? Once it was a miracle for me. Now, not so much. Doc never said it was addicting but had me take 1mg 3 x per day and ambien for sleep. Lexapro, too. No one in medical field admits to this drug as affecting the heart, I mean so that you have to take it. So what should ya do? Try to taper? Tried a detox program/crash course 7 days. Trying melatonin for sleep, not benzos. Down to 1 mg each morning, would like to get off or have them work like they did in the beginning. Any comments?"

Bonzo (taken for 10 years or more) August 19, 2018

"I have been taking 0.5mg of Lorazepam as needed for years. Helps calm me down at bedtime or after stressful day. I sleep like a baby and wake up refreshed. Also 0.25mg has relaxed me during the daytime. Personally I don’t find it habit forming nor do I have any negative side effects. Love it!"

Mizmof (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I HIGHLY recommend this drug. It’s a miracle worker! I started having anxiety after my boyfriend and I broke up, I would cry at night and have panic attacks. I only take this drug when I need severe relief and I’m so thankful it’s available. Try it just once if you are having bad anxiety, if it’s not for you then switch. I was nervous trying this because I didn’t want to feel high when going on a benzo drug. You definitely don’t feel high you just feel tired and oddly “okay”!"

Brunette beauty! (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have extreme anxiety, Ativan is fast working. Usually can feel it within 15 minutes, I do find that it's more of a crutch, a way to forget your problems instead of dealing with them. Don't drink alcohol with them. If I'm having an anxiety attack or a panic attack and it's been a week since I took one, they make me start to cry. I feel better afterwords, do these make anybody else cry?"

Boot (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2018

"I am a 35 y.o. male, about 9 months ago, I began to have panic attacks which turned into chronic anxiety based on obsessive thinking. I have taken 0.5 mg of ativan only as-needed during this time. It produces a mild calming effect after about 50-60 mins (though has taken longer to kick in at times) In my case, I really need it to calm my overthinking / agitation. There have been times when this pill made me feel a total turn-around from a bad day, other times it had the effect of returning me right back to normal. Sometimes, I feel I need to take just a little more than 0.5 mg. I have been incredibly hesitant to take this drug more often, part of me wants to try it on a more daily basis, but we'll see. I should mention I took zoloft for the better part of 6 months, but it did not help with my anxiety issues. Plus, I don't want to rely on antidepressants for this issue if I could avoid. I recommend ativan to help take the edge off, and like that I can take it on as-needed basis."

D82 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 8, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I used to take Ativan for appointments & other anxiety-provoking situations. It would relieve anxiety for the dental appointments & ENT appointments but that was it. It never reduced my anxiety for blood tests or other appointments, despite the fact that I did not have any other drug given to me for the Dental or ENT appointments. It also worked for certain anxiety-provoking situations (such as public speaking) but only 50% of the time. However, I am epileptic & on anti-seizure medication. Despite the fact that I am on anti-seizure medication, I will always have a Simple-Partial Seizure 4 days after I last took it, even if it was only 0.5 mg (the highest dose I would have would be 2 mg). Because of this, I do not recommend this drug to anyone; I had taken it over a span of ten years (as needed & not even every month - I would go months without taking it) but after realizing that it was the cause of me having Simple-Partial Seizures 4 days after taking it, I won't ever take it again."

Sailor_Jupiter August 7, 2018

"I've had horrible anxiety since I was about 7 years old probably caused by having a chronic illness so early In life and I also have the fear of vomiting so every time I feel sick I have an awful panic attack. I was prescribed 0.5 mg of this and have only been taking half a pill as needed and honestly it is exactly what I wanted so far. It's a medicine that literally does nothing but chills me out, it's calms my heart and makes me comfortable."

Kaitlyn (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2018

"I been facing generalized anxiety disorder for over 4 years, I don't know whats going on with me, I have been informed by doctors its the Colon issues, but when I came back to my country I visit psychotherapist and he told me what is going on literally GAD. I started to take Zoloft 50 mg then increased to 100 mg, then 150 mg, but after using this medicine for 3 weeks I start feeling empty brain, very disorder thinking, visual problems, so the Dr advised to take lorazepam, I start to take .05 at morning, and .05 at night, seriously I felt so human, and all the rubbish is gone, then after a 10 days I stopped the morning dosage and I am on .05 mg at night, all going well, and my mood get back by 80% all the Anxiety rubbish gone, and I am so proud of my self"

Thalji82 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Anxiety