User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

"When I took it for the first two weeks it was a miracle worker. I would feel better within 45 minutes but I seem to grow use to it because although it still clams me down it doesn't completely relax me. I take one milligram as needed. I definitely keep it on me at all times."

Luna93 (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

"If you're using this drug for anxiety make sure you read up on it before you use it for more then an occasional anxiety-fix. Even at the minimal dosage, using this stuff daily for even a week will cause problems. Namely - it CAUSES anxiety. From what I've read this is a dependence that develops - either (or both) physical or mental. After only a few times you get accustomed to it "fixing" your situation. Your body adjusts for the GABA boost, and then "crashes" - resulting in anxiety. Very bad loop to get in. Warning signs: you're counting the # hours the med will still be working (about 6 total), you're watching the clock for when you might be able to take another pill, you always carry a pill in your pocket, etc. Those are bad signs."

Anonymous July 15, 2016

"I had hyperthyroidism which was diagnosed when I was 37 . The hyperthyroidism gave me anxiety specially after knowing I had it. Would go to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack or stroke and was checked always and nothing was wrong. My anxiety attacks were so bad I once was taken in an ambulance with my feet and hands numb and blood pressure through the roof. Was given by a doctor in the ER 1 mg of lorazepam and felt the difference within 20 minutes.My thyroid got burned of and I take 1 mg in the morning and really can get through the day with no issues. Take sometimes .5 mg at night as I don't have sleep issues. After almost 2 years I feel like lorazepam has almost gotten me stable and going to start tapering off.Its a life saver."

Miami Girl July 15, 2016

"Good"

William 717171 July 9, 2016

"My wife had a heart attack, at the hospital, she went into arithmia and flat lined in front of me, they saved her but it took chest compressions and being shocked with paddles. Before this happened I never had a anxiety attack in my life, but not even a week later I ended up going to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack, it was a anxiety attack, they gave me lorenzapam 1mg, but I wouldn't take them, attacks came and went for the next 2 weeks, then I was sure I was having a heart attack one day, after thoroughly checking me out at ER again, it was another anxiety attack. They gave me a lorenzapam 1 mg, with in 10 min symptoms severely reduced, after an hour, gone. I now take only if needed, they definitely work for me."

Anonymous July 7, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I recently experienced a week of panic attacks. The first 3 times I took a pill...they were .5, it worked and I could calm down. After that the small dose did not work and I landed in the ER. I take nothing else and haven't taken any other benzo in years. I'd like to give it a lower rating due to the fact that dependency happens so fast if you aren't careful and can't cope other ways. They are definitely a bandaid. They do work though to stop panic . Just be careful and only take as necessary. Side effect..calm and sleepy..in a daze. Took an hour for them to kick in also."

Tuffygal (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have severe flight anxiety and was prescribed Ativan 5-10 years ago to take before flights. It works really well, and gives me this deep feeling of calm that helps me not panic on planes. I used to shake for an entire eight hour flight, and while my anxiety doesn't entirely disappear with a 2mg dose, it's vastly more manageable. I haven't really noticed any side effects aside from feeling sleepy and having my mind wander a bit."

Boopsoo June 29, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "Taken it a few times/packets.. Found it did not much but was on other meds like concerta and suboxone... Taken now, at 2.5mg four times a day it's not xananx but it does the job if you are agitated or panicked"

God backwards June 29, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE TAKING! Consult with your doctor but also be aware of the side effects involved. Symptoms include dizziness, fatigue, muscle weakness, slowed speech, muscle spasms, twitching / fidgeting, nightmares. Not for everyone."

TH1RT33N June 26, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "Works great! Been suffering with anxiety for a while now was very hesitant on taking any kind of medication was given this medication in the hospital and within 20 minutes I felt relaxed and calm wish I wasn't so hesitant and took it sooner. Great for when anxiety attack comes on"

Vickyyyyyy A June 3, 2016

"Helps take the edge off, but also works fairly quickly. I like it better than Xanax because it seems to last longer."

Bengals June 2, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I take it as needed, I have depression and it gets out of control at time, I take 1 mg. and in 10 - 15 minutes I am ok."

Life long battle (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2016

"I have taken .05 mg 1/2 pill 2x a day as needed, usually just 1/2 pill before bed to ease anxiety to sleep, there have been times when I was having severe panic attacks & have used up to 2 pill a day. I have GAD & this pill have same me many times from running to the ER. Mental health is no joke. Being very sensitive to meds a small dose helps me, you will need to find what works best for you. Too high dose can cause drowsiness or put you to sleep. I also take Zoloft for anxiety & deoression. Been on these meds for 5 years now, it works for me! Talk to your doctor always, best to be prescribed by psychiatrist since they specialize in these matters. Good luck in your journey! Your never alone there's always help available if you seek it!! "

Lisapet May 13, 2016

"This drug nearly ruined my life. But, you don't have to believe me. Just go google "lorazepam withdrawal" or "ativan withdrawal" and you can see it for yourself. I was never told how horrific the withdrawal would be from this medicine. I have spent nearly 5 months in extreme anxiety that is nearly 50 times the intensity of the anxiety I had when starting this med. The doctors are not educated on the w/d of this med because the pharm companies do not release these studies because then they wouldn't prescribe it! I became agitated, suicidal, depressed and PTSD-like symptoms from this drug. Not one person warned me and I just took it everyday like the bottle said, many times LESS than prescribed. PLEASE do your research!"

cleangrrl777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2016

"BEWARE!! Some people have no problem with this benzodiazepine yet there are many who do such as myself. I took it for hyper thyroid. It has ruined the last 14 months of my life!!! Words cannot express the mental and physical torture I experience daily. PLEASE Google Professor Ashton to read the side effects. Visit Benzo Buddies. You will learn about the horrors these meds cause as well as success stories of those who survived this! There has been a bill introduced in Massachusetts to get doctors to warn their patients!! Warn everyone you know! Don't be fooled! My world has been turned upside down and I don't want it to happen to you!!"

mcnj May 2, 2016

"This stuff is good. I use 0.5mg and i feel relaxed or 1mg if i have a panic attack. It helps alot and can help with sleep problems. I use it whenever i have anexity not everyday. Havent needed the stuff for 3 weeks so its not addicting for me at all."

TheReviewDude (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

"Unfortunately, this did nothing for me. It didn't matter how many I took, it didn't do anything for my panic attacks. It just made me a little sleepy."

ihavemigraines (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2016

"Helps with my high anxiety. I take 1mg twice a day and it controls my anxiety pretty well without impairing my motor skills too much."

Lithh (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

"Took my first Ativan today and OMG I feel great this works amazing for shortness of breath difficulty breathing knots in the stomach, fear shakes sweats .... It's truly amazing I only took 0.5 and I'm happy I did I was afraid to take it but I'm not anymore it's a great miracle pill"

Syllorenz April 14, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "Ativan has been SO SO helpful for anxiety and panic attacks. It can be addicting so I try and only take it when I really need to; not more than a couple times a week. But it definitely has helped me and I would recommend it to those with bad anxiety."

Kelly Bird (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2016

"3 years ago we discovered a clot inside my heart. I went in for exploring surgery & awoke from a coma 33 days later, it had broke while being looked at & I had a mild heart attack on the table, had to be put into the coma to survive. To make things worse, I was also paralyzed from the waist down. It was too much & I had my 1st anxiety attack. Speed up to now: I've regained part of my ability to walk, it's painful & I can only walk so much. The clot is gone but I still take maintenance meds for it. Sadly I still suffer from regular panic but this drug works great. When I feel myself slipping I take an Ativan & feel better, breath easier, in less then an hour!"

Mickie's Wolfie (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2016

"I had very rare occasions of panic attacks up until last year, when I started the nursing program. 7 weeks in I was having a nervous breakdown crying in my doctor's arms and telling her she will never understand what I'm going through....She said no mam, no tears, try Zoloft consistently and lorazapam as needed. This lead to 1mg of lorazapam and 125mg of Zoloft DAILY! Fast forward to a 2 yrs later, I am a nurse, I still take my ordered dose and feel like I can handle any situation. This stuff really does work and keeps me from having any panic attacks."

SNC719 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "35 years on ativan"

dyslexic333 March 28, 2016

"After getting into a car accident I fracturing my skull, broke my right arm, and dislocated 3 discs in my back. It led to 5 surgeries, and of course pain management. I got put on Opana 30 ER 2x daily, and Oxycodone 30mg IR 5x daily. The powerful Narcotics led to severe Nausea and Vomiting. I tried Zofran, Promethazine, Hydroxyzine, they worked, but not good enough. I finally got introduced to Ativan, got put on 1mg 3x daily. WOW is the best word to describe it. Now I'm pain free with ZERO nausea, thanks Ativan!"

Ativan_Fan (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 27, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "This response is for the person whose Doctor won't prescribe Ativan because it's an old drug. I went to a psychiatrist and that's the med he prescribed for me to help me sleep through the night. It had been 3 months since I'd slept more the 6 hours and usually it was 4 hours each night. Ambien got me to sleep but wouldn't keep me asleep. My PCP prescribed trazadone and that was horrific. She then prescribed doxepin and that sedated me but never put me to sleep. After 3 months of this my PCP said for me to go to a psychiatrist to hear my symptoms and prescribe the right med. he got it spot on. By the second night I was sleeping like a baby and able to naps during the if I felt sleepy. I have gotten myself back. I also take Zoloft."

Boston Qualified (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016