User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

"Taking 1-2mg as needed for panic disorder. I try to limit taking it 2, 3 times a week and only when my anxiety is so bad I can not cope with it on my own. I do not want to be on antidepressants because of the side effects so this is a great option for me."

AB92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "My husband was 38 years old and committed suicide while taking Ativan. This medication was administered to him from two different psychiatrists. Ativan was prescribed for his anxiety. He took it in combination with Welbutrin for his depression. He was on Ativan for approximately three months. The medication made his heart race because of the lethal combination mixing with Welbutrin for his depression. He became manic, paranoid, and had extreme body tremors, insomnia, and many many trips to Emergency Room from side effects. This company knows it can cause suicide and writes it on the label. Do not take it."

Do not take this medication (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had severe anxiety for a couple of years. My attacks get so bad, I feel I need to run as far away as I can. Taking Lorazepam 3mg a day has been a tremendous help. I have read comments about going off the medicine and the difficult withdrawls, but if something works in your personal lifestyle where nothing else has, why shouldn't you be able to stay on this medication as long as you need it? It's like high blood pressure. If you have it and can't get it under control, medications are key. No one starts telling you that you should stop the medication. For some, Lorazepam is a lifesaver. Maybe not for everyone, but for me, in my situation it is."

CCMoonsong (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "I forgot how well this stuff works. I've been using Ativan every so often for six years. I hadn't taken it in ages but had a panic attack tonight and I feel really good now after taking it. I know when my anxiety was a lot worse, it didn't bring me down to 0 anxiety but took the edge off. At one point in the past I was taking it pretty much daily but never became dependent on it (I only take the 0.5mg dose). I do feel kind of sleepy, but pleasantly so. In my experience the sublingual (under the tongue) type works a lot better than the normal swallowed pills."

ANXiousfriend (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "If I take 3mg's this works very well for anxiety and it works quickly, the only thing is it usually also makes me sleepy so I try to only take it when I know I can go take a nap if need be, other than that no complaints."

5150Aries (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having anxiety attacks 6 years ago while visiting my baby in the NICU center she was born at 25weeks weighing 1 lb 15oz.....at that visit I started feeling chest pains and I instantly thought I was dying from a heart attack only to be told it was anxiety. Dr tried me on med from Lexapro to Paxil to visitaril TO BUSPAR TO XANAX,Zoloft. The Xanax works really well for me, but I was seen in ER yesterday for heart palpitations, chest pain, muscle and body weakness, blood pressure elevated heart rate elevated I thought it was the end of my life, The dr then said he would give me an injection of Ativan sent me home with some as well.....Last night was the first night I was able to sleep peacefully thanks to Ativan,,"

Dae87 July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "Female, 21. Developed a panic disorder and hypochondria at 16. I did CBT therapy for a long time which helped immensely. I would go to the ER and Dr constantly. I would have a hard time falling asleep because I would panic I would die. I have been on this for 6 years, 0.5mg-1mg as needed. I only took it when in the throws of panic during a time when I did not know how to cope. It has done absolute wonders for me. I take 0.5mg only a few times a year now just when my GAD gets to be too much or anxiety disrupts my sleep for more than a few days. It's wonderful in small doses, as needed, and combined with CBT. I have had no side effects or withdrawal except if you take it when you aren't panicking and on occasion it can make you quite sleepy."

Gardeniaaa July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "I'd been having problems with insomnia and anxiety, both conditions feeding off each other and making the other worse and creating mild depression. My GP prescribed 0.5mg to be taken at bed time as needed, to be increased to 1mg if needed (only gave me 14 tablets as they are habit forming). Amazing results! I slept through the night and woke feeling calm and NORMAL for the whole next day AND the day after! I've taken 3 doses in the last 11 days, and took 1mg after a particularly stressful day with the same good results. No side effects of note except for a very mild headache 24 hours after the first dose. I'm expecting to have a decreased need for these after starting a new job in the next week but so happy to have them to get me through."

AMtgr (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given a double dose of Ativan IV in the hospital and 1mg dose pills for home! Only took .25 on occasion and now I'm having withdrawal symptoms!Can anyone answer my question about Ativan being addictive with only .25 mg occasionally?"

Tina57 July 15, 2017

"They work very well"

Pillmmman (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "You would have to be crazy to take Ativan. I took 1-2 mg 2x a day for 6 months and had withdrawal symptoms for almost 4 years after stopping over a 2 week period per my doctor. If you think your life is bad before taking Ativan just wait until you experience the withdrawal and after effects of this poison. After 2 years still had vibrating hyper sensitive vision and hearing . Burning in your nerves especially in your feet. Forget sleep all you do is lie in bed awake for me almost 2 years dreaming while awake. That part was the most torturous part of the med. The FDA needs to remove Ativan from FDA approval immediately."

BenzoWarrior0711 July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "Used at a funeral, supposed to take 0.5mgs, did not work at all. Took another, and another, and another. Maybe my doctor sucks, or maybe Ativan sucks. Do yourself a favor and get some Xanax if needed for occasional anxiety."

Ativandosage sucks (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been dx with bipolar, anxiety and depression. Although I rarely am depressed. My anxiety has caused me several trips to the ER. Shortness of breath, hyperventilating, nausea and chest pain. My lungs are already in the second stage of hereditary emphysema (aka) Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. When my lungs are having difficulty moving and exchanging gases my anxiety is already on edge ... However when the anxiety gets worse my shortness of breath gets worse.. Furthermore has landed me in ICU. Recently after trial and errors I was prescribed barbiturates. An ER doctor prescribed me Ativan. I have saw a tremendous difference in my anxiety. My family practitioner has added paxil to take with it. It has been a week so far, I am feeling so much healthier"

female with anxiety disorder (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I rate this 9/10 because I haven't used it enough. I have agoraphobia and anxiety/panic disorder. Lately, it has been hard for me to leave my house and so I would get anxious inside the car and then at the destination. Moment I woke, I took 0.5mg on an empty stomach to let it kick in while I brush, change clothes, and later eat. By time I leave the house, I noticed I didn't feel any hesitation to step out. The car ride was calm. I didn't sweat, no feelings of wanting to panic. I was able to browse clothes and shoes without having to do my usual breathing exercises to keep myself relaxed. It enabled me to shop without worry, panic, and rushing. I have only taken it twice, a month apart. No drowsiness or sleepiness for me."

Sothankful June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "Fast acting. I take .25mg once or twice daily. Some days none. I have a slight dependence on it even at the low dose. I can skip it but notice when I do. Not nearly as effective as it used to be but still works. I prefer to keep the dose low and use it with Buspar 7.5 twice daily and 75mg Effexor XR for my OCD and depression. The Effexor seems to help my OCD and the Buspar/Ativan takes the edge off the Effexor. I also use Ambien CR 12.5mg."

UndrMediKated June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "I've been using ativan for anxiety and insomnia for the last 5 or so years. Lately I have been having side effects after taking only 1-2 pills at night for sleep. It does help me fall asleep but the next day I wake up nauseous. And I'm nauseous all day. Another weird side effect that it seems no one else has experienced is that my skin feels weird, like my fingers feel like there is a coating on them...It's hard to describe but it happens every time I take ativans. I get no side effects like this from valium or xanax. I hope my doctor will switch for me."

FoZB June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "At the age of 29, I've developed anxiety and it's gotten progressively worse, with me ending up in the ER for what I thought was a panic attack. After evaluating me, the doctor confirmed I'd had a panic attack and had the nurse give me an Ativan. I came to to the ER in tears, unable to control my breathing, feeling suffocated, body tingling, nauseous, face numb, the whole 9 yards. After taking the Ativan, I was feeling completely back to normal within 15 minutes, I could not believe it! They gave me a short prescription for it until I can follow up with my health care provider and it really is such a miracle drug that really calms the anxiety, allows you to think clearly, and feel relaxed."

Miracle Drug! (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "I took too much Ativan which gave me delusions and super depressive thoughts. Stay away from pharmaceutical drugs."

Chris Cornell (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I dealt with troubled sons. One did 12 years of Angola La State Pen. He came to worked for me for some years. Was extremely stressful to deal with an ex-convict in weather in construction bricklaying business. A bit later my youngest Son moved out. He got with awful drug addicts. Did Meth, Coke, Vodka. Tore up apartments, his own house fora sum of $32,000 coming off meth. He did $10,000 damage on a 1999 super Dodge Dakota. Lorazepam saved my life. I'm a 225 lb man, 76 years old. I started 20 years ago. Worked for me in 30 minutes, I felt calm and hope come over me. I take 2mg morning and night. Why would I care if this addiction makes me feel good. You shouldn't care either if this addition helps you cope. It's a miracle drug. Thank God!"

BrickBoo May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was prescribed this a few months ago getting anxiety while driving. The prescription is '0.5 mg once a day as needed." I have taken it about 3-5 times a week, a few times I have taken it twice a day. I have been having family issues recently, and I first thought that was the reason my occasional anxiety has progressed to debilitating (flying off the handle, depressive dying thoughts, chest pains) but after research I've concluded that I'm actually going through withdrawal when I don't take it everyday. Now it's 2:36 AM, I'm scared, mind won't shut off, don't know how to wean off of this properly. I'm tired, will be calling into work in the morning for lack of sleep. Please do not take this and just get counselling for your anxiety first"

Margo G May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"15 years of trying different medications to help me cope with my anxiety disorders. Unfortunately for me as the drug addict I once was, has made it almost impossible to get prescribed lorazepam. Even though lorazepam is not a drug I've ever abused, it still is extremely difficult to obtain a prescription. I tell you that nothing is impossible. This medication alone, has saved my life. It's effects are strangely different than that of other benzodiazepines. My opinion, Just take RX exactly as prescribed by your Dr. and utilize coping skills such as DBT, to further your success in managing/coping with a crippling disorder such as anxiety. Lorazepam is highly effective, instant reduction in anxious thoughts/feelings/emotions, and is proven."

GiveuporGetRelief (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "I am a nervous flyer and my anxiety has been getting particularly bad, so I decided to go to my family doc and get a prescription. My doc gave me ativan and said to take 1 mg 1 hour before the flight. I took 1 mg exactly as she told me and then another 0.5 mg midway through the flight.During the flight, I felt completely calm and at peace, which has never happened before. Highly recommend for infrequent fliers with anxiety"

Julie567 April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "Have been taking this for situational anxiety for many years. It worked to some degree but I would always feel depressed afterwards which was awful. Last year I used it daily up to 1.5mg while I was changing my anti-depressant. This was a huge mistake. I soon reached the tolerance and began to get rebound anxiety which started up every morning. I've been off of it for 10 weeks now and still suffering. This is really hard to come off of. My advise is don't take this more than once a week and that may be too much. My anxiety is so much worse because of lorazepam."

PaulMartin16 April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "Excellent medicine, I take it only as needed but beware, for me at least, massive and rapid weight gain has occurred on it, I was a consistent 130 pounds for the last 3 years, within a month of starting it I've gained 25 pounds. Which for me is great, I needed the weight gain, for others though, take caution in this. For me this drug has been phenomenal and I can take it once and feel good for days."

Tony1026 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am told I am a reasonably intelligent 64 yo. In all honesty my Mother is probably a little biased. I have suffered and I do mean suffered severe bouts of anxiety and debilitating depression for over 50 years. As you might Imagine I have seen everybody, tried every remedy under God's sun. Drug companies in this and most other countries are motivated by one thing ONLY. Greed/MONEY and getting more. If someone can be helped as a side effect along the way, it makes great press but it sure isn't essential. I found a Loooooong time ago that I had to do the research into my own personal condition, that I had to in essence, become my own Doctor."

Dr. Chip April 15, 2017