User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Anxiety

"Lorazepam has helped me a lot compared to other meds with my anxiety, only reaction I’ve had to it was a very very dry mouth and slight drowsiness."

Tom (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I took half of a ativan because I was nervous about taking it (I don't like taking pills, even advil). My boyfriend is in the hospital so I've had constant anxiety for 4 days. It felt like my heart was gonna come out my chest. I'm sure it'll continue till he's home. I felt my heart rate calm down within like 20 minutes. I feel a little better, still have sweaty hands and stuff but hey it's a start, can't expect to be cured on half a pill. "

Cuppycake (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I’ve been on 0.50mg Ativan for anxiety and insomnia for 10 plus years . It really calms me down and takes the edge off. I sleep through the night and wake up refreshed. I can’t imagine not having it on hand. There are weeks I go without it , but it’s nice to have it at hands reach . I recommend Ativan."

Burnertt May 31, 2018

"I take lorazepam for anxiety and insomnia/disrupted sleep. When I take it for panic attacks, I feel like they are far more manageable, although sometimes not all of my anxiety symptoms remit after taking it. Lorazepam is also very helpful for sleep. Usually I have trouble falling asleep and wake up often, and I often have vivid nightmares. When I take ativan, I fall asleep much more quickly and I tend to stay asleep. dditionally, it is usually pretty much dreamless."

grey (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Have had depression and anxiety for most of my 65 years. I have been treated for depression and am now on bupropion 300mg/daily. It does not help with my anxiety which includes muscle stiffness and all over pain. After my husband died and left a bottle of Ativan, a script he had been on for years, I started taking 1mg in the morning and at night. I was amazed at the relief I received. I've used Ativan many times in the past but no doctor will give it to me on a long term basis sighting addiction. My husband took it daily for years. Why am I not able to get a long term prescription? Ativan is a lifesaver for me, eliminates the muscle stiffness and pain and gives me energy. Doctors need to understand that patients know what helps their issues and allow them the medication needed in order to have quality of life, which I don't have right now."

Kat (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2018

"I have been on and off lorazepam for 7 years now. I will not take any other benzo. I have GAD, and need help now and again. Years ago I took it every day. I was off for the last 2 years and controlling my GAD with diet, exercise, and meditation. A car accident a few weeks ago brought the anxiety beast back with a vengeance. I got a low dose, 0.5. Now I remember why I choose this medication over all other. I do not feel sleepy, drugged, out if control, nausea or dizzy. For me it a magic little pill of calm and clear thinking. All the other benzos make me sleepy, sick, or I feel hung over afterwards. Not with lorazepam, this is just calm and steady. I can completely function once the panic monster has been appeased. I hope to not need them long term, as I would like to be controlled on my own once again, but until then, I will take it to help with the rough edges."

Amy May 23, 2018

"Have suffered with GAD for years with physical Anxiety. Tried everything the Dr got me to try 2.5 mg as and when required. Job done now I'm back in the land of the living. "

Eddy (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Helps with calming for panic attacks. Very fast and effective. Only side effect for me was drowsiness."

gemm53 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018

"I took a 0.5 Ativan for anxiety last night. It increased my anxiety and I couldn't sleep."

Bob (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "This pill has been my safety net for my severe anxiety attacks, panic attacks and ADHD. I have been taking this pill off and on for 6 years and have never been addicted to it. I take 0.5 during the day and it actually makes me feel like myself and sometimes even gives me more energy this pill has been a true life saver"

Jasminefab (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 21, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "This med was prescribed to me last year after my anxiety (& BPD) got really bad after steroid knee injections. At that time, I'd only needed 4-5 doses but was prescribed enough for 30, so I saved the rest for "emergency" situations (times like now). It seems to be helpful for the chronic anxiety & chronic insomnia I've been experiencing related to my various chronic pain conditions. Some negative things I've noticed with it are it makes my brain/pain fog worse, it increases/worsens some BPD symptoms & it makes my fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis knee pain worse. Otherwise, it's a pretty good medication."

Jillyn31 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

"I take it Lorazepam one hour before flying or if I'm scheduled for a long dental appointment. I break the pill into small pieces - so a little works very well to relax me. Before this, I had horrible situational anxiety (panic attacks) on planes and at the dentist."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 14, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I recently developed panic attacks and anxiety , just thinking about anxiety makes you anxious.. at least for me. I was just prescribed 0.5 Ativan and 10 mg Lexapro for anxiety. I hope it works..I used to be on celexa but never really did much for me tbh. I'm hoping the withdrawals aren't bad."

Jmf41133 April 11, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Works well in reducing severe chronic anxiety. When you start treatment, request a system where you can skip the med at least 1-2 days a week. Intermittent dosing allows you to keep track of the underlying anxiety condition, and improves long-term efficacy. If you take the med without a break for years you can forget how unbearable chronic anxiety actually is, with intermittent dosing the benefits and drawbacks of being medicated vs unmedicated are very clear."

Pierrot (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2018

"I've been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks since escaping from an abusive marriage.. That created trauma, always being anxious. Also the loss of loved ones in one year and the news I can't bare children. I had a breakdown. After treatment I started working again but my anxiety was constant. I was prescribed lorazepam and only take it when I have a very hectic day with my work. When I don't take it my anxiety gets so bad my entire body goes into a spasm. I do long walks and creative crafts and gardening. Then I'm fine but in stressful situations I struggle so much. So it's helped me loads and enhanced the quality of my life. I am taking heed of all precautions. Thank you"

Lazlo March 25, 2018

"This particular med has helped me greatly through the death of my mom and other losses that came after. I took it at 0.5mg daily and now down to a quarter of that, as I break the pill in fours. The only con is slight blurred vision as well as slight memory loss, but that is a small price to pay for relieving what could have been. Bad anxiety. I am looking to be back to the "as needed" basis which hopefully will be rare."

Kit (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was in a traumatic car accident. I ended up with severe anxiety. I ended getting panic attacks also. Thought I was going to die. Never took any anxiety pills before this accident. Now I'm taking Lorazepam - Ativan this works great for me. Oh my goodness! I'm reading the reviews. Everyone is different. Some works for some and some won't. It's a 50/50 chance like any drug. It depends on the severity of your diagnosis and how well your body can adapt to it. All depends. I can tell you this. It works for me. For now. My mom took it for 15 yrs. She's 64yrs old. It works great for her. Anyone taking this should walk, exercise or so a hobby you like. Sauna always helps. Anything relaxing helps. It decreases your anxiety and remember counselling or going to a support group helps. "

Jazzy (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I would not survive without being able to take this drug."

Mental mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2018

"I've been taking lorazepam off and on for about 10 years. My former PCP prescribed it because I have panic attacks when I fly, and I was going to be flying from the US to Australia. It worked wonders. As I was subsequently diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, I've been consistently re-prescribed this medication. Fortunately for me, I don't have the anxiety attacks I once did, so I don't take this nearly as often as I used to (once a week, maybe?), and I never took it often enough to get addicted, but I can certainly see how easy it would be to get hooked. Still, it's truly helped me when I needed it most, and still does when the nerves, nausea, and lightheadedness creep in. I've tried Xanax, and it didn't work nearly as well. Correction: I tried Xanax, and it only worked for about half an hour. Also, it did nothing to ease the nausea my anxiety brings about, but it works for my two closest friends, where Ativan doesn't. Guess it all depends on your chemical makeup."

SJ March 9, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Prescribed by G.P. for anxiety 4mg. A day approximately 10 years ago, along with Zopiclone for 15 mg. for insomnia. I started to abuse both about 2 years ago. Sitting in a Treatment Centre for Drug Addicts, while I type this. Do not take Ativan or Zopiclone, easy to become addicted to both. Went through Hell detoxing and it took 19 days to get off the Ativan. There are better medications out there for you."

Diamond Lil (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Have taken ativan on and off ..more on than off for 24 years. I have quit it for life and having terrible withdrawal symptoms. Hot, cold, blurred vision memory loss. Please do take this medication."

Offativanforever (taken for 10 years or more) February 27, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was prescribed ativan I mg every 4 to 6 hours approximately 6 years ago. This was given to me by my primary care physician as I was randomly shaking and feeling sick without provocation. I am so confused by this drug. You see the withdrawals are the same as the symptoms it was prescribed for. I fear I am addicted to it. I work everyday and am a functional person, could I be addicted to this med? I try to wean off but it doesn't work. I feel dizzy sick and shaky every time I try. This is an awful feeling. I wish I never needed it."

Worried (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 24, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "OK OK Ativan does work, especially when you're having a full on attack in the psychiatrict unit. But just like everything else it does become addicting. Beware"

helenasadness February 21, 2018

"I have had a history of panic attacks for years. Been to the emergency room feeling like I was dying. Felt almost as if I was having seizures. Couldn't get deep breaths and would get dizzy and feelings of dread, nerves under eyes would literally ripple. Went to ER about three years ago and thought I was having a heart attack, and it was a panic attack. Dr. told me to get to a psychiatrist. He started me on a low dose .5 mg three times a day. Within about 6 months I was taking 5 mg a day. I was getting 75 2mg tablets per month (so 2 1/2 pills a day). I know it is a lot but does keep my anxiety at bay. Problem is if I don't take a dose at night thinking I don't need it, I wake up feeling terrible. This is not a medicine that will be easy to ever come off of I know. At least my life is tolerable again though. It makes me a little drowsy sometimes but not too bad."

akhb February 21, 2018

"After years of crippling anxiety, Lorazepam gave me the most wonderful feeling of calm I have ever experienced. Unfortunately, as with other benzos, it doesn't last forever and you have to take more to get the same effect. If they could make a drug that continues to make you feel that calm, it would be a wonderful thing!"

NessyNewby February 14, 2018