User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 7 reviews 17 medications

Anxiety 433 reviews 63 medications

6.6
Panic Disorder 54 reviews 19 medications

5.9
Summary of Buspirone reviews 494 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Buspirone

For Anxiety: "I've been on buspar 15 days now. I can't say as if yet if it has helped alot or not. It's not bad but I have noticed certain things I go through that I'm not sure if it's side effects or just my anxiety. Like I feel drowsy about 30 minutes after. I've noticed tingly or itchy sensation in hands, feet, arms (different times). Also more headaches than before I started buspar. LightheadedNess even though I've felt that way before taking it. Upset stomach, or nausea. Sharp sensation in different places. Oh yes and definitely noticed wierd dreams. The reason I rate a five is because I do feel like it brings a calmNess over me and my racing thoughts aren't so bad and after the first week I can see that it keeps me tired more and I do sleep better."

Punchie September 21, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have worked in the pharmacy going on 22 years. I hate taking medicine! However Buspar saved my life. I am prescribed Buspar 10: 1 tab twice daily (12 hours apart). I take it for anxiety (Severe chest pain, worry wart). I have experienced these chest pains that started in my late teens. As I got older, the chest pains got worse, to the point it would take my breath away. I played with the dose & after 2 years...I only take 1 tab at bedtime. Once in a blue moon I will take a morning dose if my chest starts to feel heavy. If you have doubts or concerns, please talk to your pharmacist. A dr sees only his patience, a pharmacist sees ALL patients from every walk of life. I have also lost weight because now I sleep through the night. Down 12 lbs"

Crisdmccoyyahoo.com September 16, 2016

For Anxiety: "I am taking SSRI to help me deal w my job, and daily life stressors. I switched from Zoloft to buspar approximately 3 weeks ago, due to side effects. I have sleep issues due to being a night shift person, and probably anxiety, so I'm on Ambien as well. Lately, I'm having worse sleep problems, and having weird dreams. I've read, Buspar can cause insomnia. Planning on taking my dose all at once during my waking hours. Anyone taking it just once a day? And what's your experience. Thank you."

Ecflo54 September 13, 2016

For Anxiety: "My experience with buspirone is that it gave me horrible headaches, but on the occasions I don't get a headache, I REALLY like the way bispirone makes me feel- chill. I was on Zoloft & lexapro and all those did for me was make me nauseated. W/ buspirone, iwould break the tablet into .5 & sometimes go up to 15, Even with food and water intake. Anyone else whose had this experience w/ buspirone, please share your story whether it's similar or different- would love the feedback. & anyone with the same head ache side affects, how do you go with treating that? Also, If you've had success with taking buspirone & Xanax together or within the same day, please advise Xo"

Katel (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "You have to take this for about a month before you will notice a difference in your anxiety. Please don't take anyone else's medications. It's illegal and unsafe. Work closely with your MD to find the dose that's right for you and it can help a lot. I'm an ER nurse. It worked for me. Peace!"

LessStressed (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Buspar has been a godsend for me. First, was on 10mgs twice a day. Now I'm on 15mgs twice a day. No side effects and I've had no need for benzos since. On one year now."

Novelista (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 10, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "This medicine is useless. I suffer from extremely bad panic attacks an have been in and out the hospital everyday for 3 days. This medicine made everything worse. I'd wake up multi times if I could even go back to sleep to go back to the ER at 2am. I don't know if it's a real medicine or a water/sugar pill, but it doesn't work for panic attacks. They say you can force your self to believe a medicine can work or not work, not in this case it DOESNT work. Benzodiazepines may me abused an bad for you, but it's better then asking someone who is suffering like us to use medicine that don't work at all for most people."

Bear 37 September 9, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "It didn't help at all with the panic attacks and actually made my anxiety worse. The first few weeks it would just put me to sleep. After four weeks I became very depressed and had suicidal thoughts constantly throughout the day. It gave me horrible headaches, it made me really dizzy all the time and I felt lightheaded and nauseous often. After four weeks I could not sleep at all and my anxiety increased along with the panic attacks. I don't recommend this medicine for anyone who has suffered PTSD or who has had high anxiety levels for a long time. It just makes things worse. After five weeks I stopped taking this medication I could no longer handle the side effects."

Stillneedhelp (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have never written a drug review but am now in hope of helping those who feel as apprehensive as I do about meds. I suffer from anxiety and was prescribed Buspar and out of fear didn't try it for 4 mos. By request I was given the lowest dose, 5 mg BID. One day I got up the nerve to try it after speaking with 2 pharmacist getting the ok to safely break it down. I broke it into eights, which was around 62mg, not enough to do anything but they were sympathetic to my reluctance, I went up an 8th every couple of days. I am now on 7.5 BID. I had no side effects minus slight tiredness, I attribute the easy transition to slowly going on it. I have been on it 3 weeks now, I can't tell a huge difference so I am hoping more time is what in needed."

Doesnotlikemeds September 6, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I was worried because an ingredient is lactose, and I am lactose intolerant, but the doc said it would be fine and it is. The problem is for an hour or so after taking it I get bad brain "zaps" and dizziness. Luckily no bad nausea or anything, but the zaps are bothersome and would keep me from driving. I only take 5mg at a time. This is unfortunate because I think it is helping my disorder (Functional esophageal dysphasia/dyspepsia) it was prescribed for. I've had a little less stomach pain and trouble swallowing on it."

CBar1 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed Buspar for anxiety. If I knew that Buspar had the side effects that I got, I would never drink it. I drank it for 4 days only and it almost got me killed. I started having panic attacks, I could hardly breath, I had electric shocks, brain zaps, horrible medicine. I quit right away. Little I knew that quitting even after 4 days would cause side effects. I could not sleep for 2 weeks afterwards, I thought I was dying. Horrible medicine. I will never drink any anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medicin that is not natural!!!!"

Nadia GEO September 2, 2016

For Anxiety: "I started 10mg today and I feel so loopy, my mouth is very dry, and kind of anxious and my head is hurting after 1 dose. I don't know if I will take a 2nd dose. I was prescribed 10mg 2x day."

Kconrad1112 (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've been on this for two weeks. I went to my doctor because I was experiencing anxiety and worry way to often, for too long. I tried to manage it on my own, but the feelings persisted. I made an appointment for a psych, but the wait was three months. I assumed I had to go to a psych for medication management but a friend told me my doctor could prescribe something. My doctor gave me a script for 7.5 mg twice a day. Soon after, the constant knot in my stomach and consistent worry subsided. I see that people say it takes a while for this to work, but I feel like I had pretty quick results. I have had no side effects on this med thus far."

2885Lola August 22, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was recently prescribed Cymbalta for depression. It helped but I felt very jittery and anxious on it. My doctor added Buspar and now I feel very much calmer and in control. I take 30 mgs twice a day."

Dan9447 August 21, 2016

For Anxiety: "I just started taking buspirone today and I hate it, my heart feels like it's going to explode my leg won't stop shaking I feel even more antsy my stomach feels bloated my mouth would open a little bit I believe it even affects my mood because I ended up having 0 tolerance for anything. I would not recommend this medicine to anyone and I just started it today. It's 10mg twice a day I will not continue taking this no matter what the doctor says."

Necee (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Anxiety was eating me alive! Finally I went to my Dr to ask for help. I started with 7.5 mg twice a day and she worked me up to 15mg twice a day. I feel so much better! I'm sleeping like a log now because anxiety is not keeping me awake or waking me up. I do feel hot and a little shaky about 20 minutes after I take it but it don't last very long, maybe 30 minutes. I'm also losing some much needed weight. Probably because I'm not eating at night since I'm actually sleeping through the night for the first time in my life! This stuff changed my life for the better!"

Carolyn Riggs August 20, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've only taken buspar 7.5 for 2 days now, I've been prescribed 7.5 2x day, but until the side effects go away, I'm not about to take 2 a day. Within 20 minutes or so after taking (with food), my head starts whooshing and I'm very dizzy (almost feel drunk/high). It lasts about an hour then I feel better. Is this someone else has experienced? Is it something that will go away? Is the side effect an allergy to the drug? Basically, I'm taking to get rid of anxiety/ panic attacks and help me to need less xanax. With these side effects I'll need MORE xanax!! Lol "

Dizziness, head whooshing (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have been taking buspar for 4 months now and it has helped pretty well for my anxiety. I take 3 10mg a day. I mostly like it because it helps with the extra anxiety and slight depression i get from the come down off of my adderall i take for adhd every day too. The only side effects I've had from the buspar has been nausea but as long as i eat a little bit of food whenever i take them it subsides that pretty well so i would recommend it to anyone with the same situation."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "I just started taking this medication a few days ago, I will write an update later as I give it more time. Thus far my side effects have been a slight numbing of my mouth, I am extremely sensitive to medication and this has happened with other meds I have taken so I am not alarmed by this. I am taking it with food and I do feel a bit of slight nausea and tiredness about an hour after taking it, I also feel a bit spaced but I am hoping these will subside over time. It isn't anything unmanageable at this time, I am on a very low dose 2.5 mg BID, it isn't what the doctor prescribed but after talking with my pharmacist about my sensitivity to meds he said I could build up to the dose. I was prescribed 5 mg BID to increase if needed."

Crazyaboutcats August 18, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "Started to kick in after about 23 days, but no major side effects so yay! For the first week I took 5mg before going to sleep. But each day I would take it earlier. So day 1 @ 10pm, then 9pm, 8pm, and so on. Then on Day 8 I started taking 10mg daily (5mg in the morning and 5mg in the evening). Always with food! Be consistent. For the first ~5 days I would get sleepy about an hour after taking it, then this went away. For the first ~2 weeks my eyes would lag for about an hour after taking it. It's a weird feeling...like when you shift your eyes in different directions you can feel the muscle in your eye pulling. Kind of like it's strained and it takes effort to shift your eyes. This also went away."

AnnaB1987 August 15, 2016

For Anxiety: "my experience was very positive"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have taken buspar for 5 months. Prescribed max dose of 15mg 4x/day. It took a couple weeks to actually notice the difference. I don't feel like a zombie after taking it. I really just came to the realization one day while driving to work, an activity that used to leave me recovering from an anxiety attack, was suddenly a very simple task. My social anxiety, much improved. It's very subtle, but after sticking with it, I can look back and I see that it changed my life. It does make me sleepy, in a walking around functioning while yawning kind of way and I get a lot of headaches. The good definitely outweighs The bad. I can take a lower dosage on easy days and still have a positive outcome. also take 150mg of Zoloft and 25 mg Wellbutrin"

HalfPint416 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been on this drug for about 9 days now. I started off with a pill twice a day for a week and now I'm taking it 3 times a day. Honestly my anxiety is still here full force. I depend on my girlfriend to go with me everywhere but now I have to get used to her being gone so now I've been getting more anxiety trying to go out and do stuff on my own. I just want to be happy and be able to go run my errands. Buspirone didn't even touch my anxiety. I became very angry and irritable and it's starting fights between me and my girlfriend. She had to leave me by myself today because my anger was stressing her out. I've developed an "I don't care" attitude and it has freaked me out. I'm done taking this drug. Everyone is different but be cautious."

Sarzself14 August 13, 2016

For Anxiety: "I had a lot of stomach issues - IBS-D. I suspected it might be due to anxiety. Buspirone has made a huge difference. I can live a normal life without being in fear of the stomach issues coming up at the most inconvenient times. I feel comfortable eating out and going to people's houses. I used to take four immodium a day to control the stomach issues. Now, I rarely take it. Buspirone also had a very gradual effect...things kept getting better. I had to recently reduce the dose a bit as I'd get dizzy after taking it but it still works. Doctors had insisted that I try antidepressants first. The side effects (several brands and low doses) were awful and the medications didn't help."

Great! August 13, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "Everytime I take my buspar my heart feels like it's pounding out of my chest for like an hour (eventually gradually it goes away) and my chest gets tight, I just started taking it 2-3 weeks ago and this just chest pounding thing only started happening about 7 days ago, it's starting to freak me out to the point where I might just stop taking it all together. Am I the only one who feels like my heart beats a million times a second on this drug? & what else is out there to help specific anxiety disorders?"

Jessica M M (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016