User Reviews for Buspirone

5.6

Summary of Buspirone reviews 6.1 804 reviews

Reviews for Buspirone

A~ · Taken for less than 1 month July 16, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was given buspar for anxiety. I started taking 5 mg once a day then I eventually tried to go up to 10 mg a day. NEVER AGAIN. I don’t think it did anything for my anxiety except make it worse. Every time I took the pill, I felt super sedated and I would fall asleep and then have nightmares. I took it for almost 3 weeks hoping side effects would pass but it only got worse. Light headed, dizziness, my skin was so itchy I couldn’t hardly stand it. I felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin. I couldn’t go outside & be in the sun because I got hot within 5 seconds and felt sick. I stopped taking it abruptly, I didn’t notice any withdrawal symptoms at all. This med was not for me."

Harhoff92 · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "Only took half a pill one day and had to go to the hospital because it made me spiral out of control. Next morning I tried another half as directed to be sure and it happened again. I have stopped taking it and still searching for something so I can make it out of my house."

SB July 11, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "My Prescription was increased to 300mg per day! Pharmacy blamed Doctor, Doctor blamed Pharmacy for Misreading his prescription. Patient brought it to their Attention after serious side effects. No One is Monitoring Prescriptions! After, prescription was returned to 60 mg day, which is the maximum dose!"

LUVTHEMTNS July 7, 2019

For Anxiety: "I discussed this with my Dr. (finally) and she suggested Buspar. Of course I had a million questions because I don't like taking anything even vitamins and don't consume alcohol. I thought I would try it and the first couple of weeks I thought this was going to be a winner. By the 3-4 week I had my first panic attack. Other symptoms where muscle cramps, tingling up the back of my neck and head, feeling like my skin was crawling. This was on 5 mg. twice daily and I can tell you it didn't make me sleepy. Just the opposite. I called my Dr. and she said to taper down since it was causing me more anxiety to 2.5 mg. twice or 3 times a day. Then went to 2.5 once daily and finally last Tuesday went off completely."

Sadie · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 5, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was battling horrible mood swings and then my mother died which made them 10x worse. I begged therapists and doctors to help me medicate as I had been battling what I believed was bipolar and sensory disorders for years (it was actually a mixture of severe anxiety and mild depression). I finally was put on a combo of wellbutrin and buspar and it has done me wonders. Although I do feel a little sedated and unfocused for about 20 minutes after taking the buspar, I would trade that over the way I felt before any day. My relationships have improved and I feel great 99% of the time."

Andrew1990 June 26, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have been on 8 different psych meds for about 4 years now including some controlled's. I am now slowly bringing that number down. This med did something for me, but not really enough to notice when I would not take it."

Krissssyannn June 24, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "I suffered in silence for many years. I didn't like going to malls large crowded places or any place I felt trapped, for fear of the panic getting ahold of me. I suffered several life altering and life-changing events that threw me into full blown agoraphobia, suddenly afraid to drive or even walk down my driveway. I was at my lowest point in life the racing thoughts of constant worry haunted me. I started buspirone slight side effects but I noticed after two weeks my anxiety was 70% gone, I started sleeping better than I had in years. This medication has saved my life! I am able to build myself back up driving and going places I would recommend trying this medication."

Canuck June 24, 2019

For Anxiety: "I've tried a lot of different meds over the last 15 years. This has by far been the worst for side effects. I've been in buspirone for 7 days (10mg 2x a day). I would rather go through the withdrawal from benzos than the side effects from buspirone. It has the most intense side effects I've ever felt. Way worse than starting Cymbalta which was kinda bad. I haven't really slept now for 3 days. It doesn't cause me any anxiety but the side effects, lightheadedness, headaches, tinnitus, lethargic, muscle weakness, my entire body has this super intense tingling and itching sensation, pounding heart beat, and loss of appetite are intense enough for the last 3 days that I can't sleep. I'm past my point of being able to tolerate the sides. I have to say this one just isn't for me at all. Worst damn medication I've tried for social anxiety ever. Can't wait for this to clear my system so I can finally sleep and regain some sanity. I would rather deal with the anxiety than this feeling."

Jay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 21, 2019

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "Listen up fellas. I have GAD and panic attacks. My Dr gave me Lexapro and I was on it for 5 days. NEVER AGAIN! Although Lexapro really helps relieve symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks, your sex drive tanks and you can't have a orgasm. So I had to choose between side effects and keeping my sanity. I chose keeping my sanity obviously. I'll talk to my doctor and some friends and they were all recommending buspirone I started 5mg 3x day. I noticed it also helped with general anxiety symptoms along with helping me get more sleep during the night and my sex drive not only came back but it was better than it was before and I have nothing but good things to say about buspar on because it helps with my anxiety and my sex life is amazing powerful. Whoever invented the stuff deserves to be a billionaire."

Anonymous June 19, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "BuSpar helped with bipolar anxiety only slightly but it gave me awful insomnia with angry outbursts and the worse agoraphobia. This med did more harm than good"

Harley June 19, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have been on Buspar for over a month now. 5mg x2 daily. I was on Buspar several years ago and stopped because I didn't feel I needed it anymore, that was a mistake. I suffer from GAD which was destroying my life. Racing thoughts, stomach problems, constant fear and panic. This medication is not a Benzo so dont expect immediate results, for me it took approx 2 weeks before I really started to feel the effects This drug is not an SSRI and it hasn't caused any sexual problems for me as some SSRI’s are known to do. The side effects I have experienced are flushing and dizziness however they subside about an hour after taking. Buspar does have a fairly short half life and I can feel the effects diminish after about 4 hours. Im also on Valium 2mg (10 per month) as needed when my anxiety becomes elevated but while on Buspar I haven't really had a need for the Valium but I'm glad I have it just in case. I would recommend this medication for anyone suffering from panic attacks/GAD. Don't give up!"

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "First off I don't even know how this is legal and its a full blown lie that this drug is known to not have its "side effects". I took this drug for three days 5mg twice a day and could NOT handle the side effects. Every time I took it suicidal idealizations came about. I could barely walk on it nor keep my head up. The headaches or brain zaps were ridiculous, I finally called my doctor on the third day and asked him on what to do and they told me to stop IMMEDIATELY. Holy cow the day the evening that I stopped it was the WORST experience that I have ever had. I was only on this drug for THREE days and the withdrawal symptoms were brutal as well. Its been three days since I stopped and I still feel the aftermath. It left me worst than before."

Angel · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2019

For Anxiety: "I take 100mg of Zoloft along with 7.5 mg of buspirone 2x a day - and all I have to say is that this medication is a life changer for me! This is week 3 for me- the first week it didn’t seem to work at all-had lots of side effects like nausea, diarrhea and headaches.. but by the end of the second week I felt a major difference and the side effects subsided..I definitely recommend this medication to anyone who’s experiencing general anxiety"

Juno June 15, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Buspar has changed my life in profound ways. In combination with antidepressants, it has made a huge difference for me. Before Buspar, I was debilitated by Social Anxiety Disorder. Avoidance, panic attacks, isolation... etc. Without Buspar, I felt like my whole body was raw all of the time. I started taking Buspar about 3.5 years ago and the first thing I noticed was sleepiness. But other than that, no side effects. It took a while to start working, but when it did, I was finally able to feel relaxed in public. The biggest thing is that it sedates the body. It makes me less reactive and slows down my mind. I can see how for some, this can produce a sluggish feeling, but it's exactly what I needed. The sleepiness is not a huge issue anymore. Oh, and I take Buspar 15 mg three times a day. A major downside is that I have to take it every five hours, but it's seriously like my protective armor."

Bill · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 14, 2019

For Anxiety: "I take Valium and Xanax for severe anxiety + Effexor. I take 30mg Valium a day and up to 2mgs Xanax a day and it is often still not enough so I my doctor recommended trying the buspirone. I said not if it requires me to taper off benzos because I will have to taper slowly. He said I wouldn’t have to get off benzos. I started with 10mg twice a day and the night dose was horrible! NIGHTMARES THAT WERE THE WORST! So I took 15mgs in the morning and 5mgs at around 1pm. It’s helped a little bit but not much. I would not ever recommend it in the place of a benzo but to each their own."

Reliable · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was on this medication for two weeks and notice absolutely no positive effect. However, with in those two weeks I gained 8 pounds, had an erratic heart beat, and about 20-30 minutes after taking a pill, I got extremely dizzy and lightheaded to the point I couldn’t even drive. This is just my experience and my body chemistry, but my ultimate opinion is it’s just another failed attempt to prevent prescribing Benzos. Hope any of this helps."

nina · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 13, 2019

For Anxiety: "I used to take this for anxiety and it worked great besides making me tired but otherwise no side effects. I got a refill recently because my anxiety came back and this makes me extremely dizzy and like I’m on a roller coaster minutes after taking it. Not sure if the filler ingredients changed or something but I cannot take this unless I want to be laying in bed for hours after."

AnotherTry · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "I also experienced my first asthma attack ever on this medication. I don't see it listed as an official side effect but I've never encountered anything like it before and just putting my 2 cents in. I've tried just about every SSRI and SNRI under the sun as well so while I'm not guaranteeing it's not a coincidence I'm pretty well past the point of attributing everything that happens to me to my medications. Aside from that it worked maybe... 10%? But I think the majority of that was the sedation which wears off as the sedation does. Other side effects for me were worse sleep, anger, nightmares, weight gain and tiredness."

Securitygal · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "First day taking this medicine and it makes me feel like I'm drowning. Like I went swimming and got water in my nose."

lnfrich · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "After having an anxiety attack that required a stay in a mental health residential facility, my Dr thought that this would be a great addition to my buproprion 300 mg per day for anxiety. It was going well until a few weeks in I noticed this dizzy feeling about 10 minutes after I took it and my insatiable desire for carbs. I had just lost my last 10 lbs so to see 5 of them come back on was disheartening! Weight gain wasn't listed as a side effect, but I know it caused me to gain weight and that was all I needed to know before I asked to be taken off it. I have decided to stop this medication."

Costi May 19, 2019

For Anxiety: "Buspirone gave me a bad asthma attack. I am elderly and the dose I started it at 5 mg once a day for anxiety. I stopped after the asthma attack but then I tried to take it again after few days but the second time taking buspirone was even worse. This medicine was a bad experience for me from the start."

JacksonFive · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "BuSpar was an OK experience for my anxiety, but I have tried other meds and this one isn't as effective for my disorder."

jlj96 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 13, 2019

For Anxiety: "My Doctor put me on buspirone for general anxiety and it has been an absolute lifesaver! I’ve been on it almost 10 weeks and it’s been absolutely wonderful! No side effects whatsoever! The only thing I’ve noticed is no anxiety anymore!!! Which is exactly the point of this med! I’m only on 10 mg every morning, because if I take it too late in the day it does cause insomnia for me. I’d highly highly recommend this med!! Give it a try! You have nothing to lose!"

MrKnight · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I took BuSpar for anxiety and it made me feel as though I was high or drunk, I was up and down all night sweating, it made my eyes feel really weird and head when I laid down almost like I was still moving when I wasn't. The worst was the insomnia and the terrible nightmares it gave me. I only took 5mg twice a day and I could not function on it. There were other minor side effects but I cannot remember the exact details."

Pj25 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2019

For Anxiety: "I started this medication buspirone due to anxiety. I was struggling to leave my house and live my life due to the severity of my anxiety. I started 5mg twice a day and was told to increase to 10mg twice a day if need be. The first few days I had really bizarre dreams and drowsiness. I then started taking my first dose in the morning and my second dose no later than 2pm. This helped so much with the dreams. I sleep like a baby now. I tried increasing to 10mg but the drowsiness was too much. I just the 5mg now twice a day at 6am and 1pm. I take it with food and that alleviates the drowsiness. Don’t give up on this med because of the side effects. There are ways to adjust dosing and dosing time to avoid the side effects. This drug has changed my life for the better. I’m not someone who likes to take medications but this wholeheartedly works!"

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)