User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 11 reviews 15 medications

5.8
Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Buspirone reviews 629 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Buspirone

For Anxiety: "When I started having severe anxiety and panic attacks years ago I had a doctor who had no difficulty shoving me on Xanax and Klonopin. I was completely unaware how addictive and awful these drugs were. I weaned myself of the drugs after years of taking them. After withdrawal I did fine. About a year ago my anxiety and panic attacks returned and I was going to a different doctor. She tried me on Zoloft first and very sparingly gave me Xanax for those "I'm going to die moments". After about 3 months the Zoloft wasn't helping much without the occasional Xanax kick so she doubled the Zoloft and I about crawled out of my skin. She asked me if I want to try Buspiron. No anxiety and sleeping like a baby."

Lihp (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Took buspirone for 2 days. It definitely helped me stay calm, but made me drowsy during the day and gave me the worst insomnia I've ever experienced at night. I know trialling it 2 days is nothing for a med, but I have a family and a demanding job where I cannot afford to not get at least a couple hours of sleep a day. The severe insomnia alone is enough for me to stop taking it. I also got insomnia from the two antidepressants I took (generic Paxil and Zoloft), so I am very sensitive to meds. I will say this though, it did seem to keep my calm and better able to focus. It works in those terms. I would recommend anyone who hasn't had success using anti depressants to try buspar/buspirone for anxiety. It just might be your golden ticket."

Chris0000 September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Effective. Regular constant use led to a solid stable benefit. The drug is mild, unnoticable but with time you realize something has changed for the better. Positive effect on libido. Improved concentration, mood, curiousity, rest."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Taking Buspar 4 or 5 days 4x day 30 mgs all toll. It didn't work very well, added 0.5mg Klonopin, told to break pill in 1/2 take 2x day. Last night took buspar at bedtime woke up after 3 hrs shaking panic attack. I took xanax hadn't picked up Klonopin yet. I waited 2 hr took buspar. Still no help 1 hr later panic attack off the charts. Why I'm I taking Buspar it only lasts maybe 3 hrs or so. I'm 72 why can't he just prescribe xanax which helps me. I'm confused what these drs are thinking. He said he wants to see me in a month."

buckminster September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "After years of klonopin/Xanax & zolft, MY so-called Dr switches me to Buspar& Lexapro. This is the most worthless bunch of junk medicine ever created. It just sent me into benzo withdrawals !!! Horrible ones that last days. I have to find another Dr that had mercy on me and put me back on Xanax."

Dstroyr (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Started 3wks. ago, have stayed on it but awful side effects, can't get through to my doctor without having an even greater Anxiety Attack than I'm already having. This medication Goes right up on the Top Worse Self for Bad Medications I have been on. Shaking inside, dry chalky mouth & throat, upset stomach, vomiting, nervousness & even more emotional than normal (if that's possible). It feels like everything that's wrong with me has been intensified!"

HondaRonda (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "I fell thru the ice and drowned ( obviously resuscitated ) at the age of 17. In College I started getting terrible panic attacks that had me going to the ER sometimes 2 times a week. I was put on Buspar and they might as well as given me a TicTac and told me THAT was a Miraclel Drug as well is would have probably been more effective. Prozac, Xanax , Valuim ALL seemed to make it worse Clonazepam is THE ONLY Med. that has worked it's been a life saver."

Carpe88 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "This medication did not do any good for me. It was prescribed to help with my anxiety. The only thing that I noticed while taking the medicine is the severe migraines that it would cause me."

Snk88602 (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This medication is great!! I've been suffering severe anxiety for three years now, and I finally decided to get on some medication for it. Zoloft didn't work for me, and made me feel horrible, so we tried buspar next. The only side effects I got was slight dizziness and feeling fuzzy for the first three days and then I was fine. I'm definitely way less anxious now, and it was great. I suggest giving it a try if its just anxiety and not depression, cause that's what things like Zoloft focus on."

A very anxious person (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have been fighting High BP and anxiety for 11 year with no relief. Tried every class of BP meds and SSIR meds. Its early yet but my BP is down from 170/100 to 130/80. I just switched to Buspar 10 mg twice a say, Nifedipine 30 mg and 0.5 mg clonazepam. I'm praying this is the magic bullet. Don't give up!"

male 56 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Feel very uncomfortable, shaking, feels like pulses/shocks through my body, doesn't help what my #worthlessDoctor said it would."

Cmpicsnvids (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Have been taking 5mg twice a day for the last 4 days, stopped taking it today. It was like I had drank 6 Redbulls. Jittery, sweating, dizzy, nauseous, twitching. The Welbutrin I take is awesome, not a single side effect, but needed something more for some anxiety. But I had to stop taking this, just waaaay to gnarly even for a bigger guy like me."

James Morgan (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I love this drug! I started 4 yrs ago when I was just starting recovery from sex addiction and childhood sexual abuse and trauma, and I started out on just 5 mg/day. Within a week, I noticed my anxiety significantly lessen. Within 3 weeks, I was able to stop compulsively having sex with a new guy every week. It helped me get my life back on track, and about 9 months later, I finally started taking it as prescribed (5mg twice per day,) and the difference was even more significant. I slept better, had fewer racing thoughts, and I stopped obsessing about my therapist as much. It didn't cause any weight gain and had virtually no side effects after the initial blurry vision for the first few days. Highly recommend Buspar!"

OliviaBat July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I've been on this for 2 days so far. 7.5mg twice a day. Every time I take this, I feel weak, shaky, and like I need to lay down because I think I'm going to faint. I've notice a slight change in my worries so far but only because nothing major has happened. I hope the side effects go away because I have horrible anxiety and I don't want to take xanex due to my brothers addiction to them and my grandpas anxiety that made him out of it so it worries me. If this doesn't work I don't know what else to do. I hope this works for people who have severe anxiety like me that avoids anything social, worries constantly, racing thoughts, etc."

Jasminerd (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have been on Buspar for about 2 months now for anxiety from keppra. It seems to work sometime but when I get an anxiety or panic attack it hits hard. I was on 5mg twice a day and now my dose is really high. Like today it seems to have no effect. And I'm always lightheaded dizzy fogged out feeling. And my other doctor said to try Xanax."

theplacetobe234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed this drug for anxiety I took it home and managed to take it for 2 days but immediately noticed severe insomnia that after two days made me stop taking it. On top of the inability to sleep despite feeling tired I had absolutely zero appetite. In the little over 48 hours I had only managed to eat a handful of cherries... However when I was on the drug I did notice less irritability and increased fatigue which I attributed to not sleeping or eating."

Josephw1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I started talking this medication last Monday and was only on it for 4 days before I had to quit. I had so many of the different side effects of this drug like lack of appetite, stomach upset, extremely worse anxiety than I had before I started and extreme drowsiness during the day but insomnia at night. It was an absolute nightmare for me but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for someone else."

Cyndi16 July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I've been on Buspirone for many years. I also take Lamotrigine (Lamictil). I have a less anxiety but a lot of social anxiety still. What I didn't connect, until reading a lot of fellow Buspirone takers here, is that the faintness I get (feeling like I'll pass out if I don't sit) and also about every 3 months I get the dizzyness. Sometimes when I lay down in bed the ceiling looks like it's spinning wildly. I always have to bring snacks with me everywhere for those times of faintness. I thought they were just how I am normally. I'll have to check with my doctor. I'd have thought she'd have brought that up before :( I don't remember if I had the other symptoms of some here, with the headaches and nausea. Too long ago."

Cathychocolatelover July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I started out on 5 mg, 3 times day and am now at 10 mg 3-4 times a day. I've experienced no side effects. I do feel less anxiety (constant worry, easily irritated), but feel it come back about 5 hours later. It has taken the edge off of social anxiety but has taken about 2 months to get there. It is a mild anti anxiety med. It doesn't make you feel drugged or spaced out. It helps to give you the ability to stop the anxious thoughts but doesn't seem to do it all for you. I have ADD as well and take Wellbutrin along with Buspar. I have taken Lexapro and although it does wonders for anxiety it also caused me to feel a bit manic over time. Lexapro also wiped out my memory. I have a grandson now and I want to remember and be at my best for him."

Alisann (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "How this "medication" ever got approved is beyond me. In my case, I have been taking the maximum dose allowed (60 mg per day) for months, and my reaction is a big yawn. Zip, nada nothing. Doesn't help with anxiety, and forget my panic attacks. Too bad my docs refuse to give me Xanax (alprazolam) any more... guidelines! I guess I'm supposed to chew on a stick when I get anxiety or panic attacks. Right."

Chuck-e (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I started Buspar 2 days ago, I'm not sure if is working, my personal situation is creating chaos in my life and anxiety and panic attacks are everyday occurrences. I'm having serious problems to be able to sleep after 2 am ( always woke up and can't go back to sleep). Today I'm trembling and have terrible headache, nausea and tiredness. I don't know if continue this med or stop it before I get worse. Can anybody experience this side effects the first days and then got better???, I don't know what to do and I can't stand still."

Leahkana (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "Wow. This drug really restored my ability to have an orgasm. I have been complaining about Lexapro destroying my sex drive to my doctor since I started Lexapro. It was getting to the point where I had to choose between a sex life and my sanity. Unfortunately, my doctor didn't do anything about it. I was the one who had to ask if I could take Buspar, after internet research. Lexapro reduced my social and generalised anxiety by, I would say, 80%. Buspar restored my ability to have an orgasm, and also seems to be reducing my anxiety even further. I know everyone reacts differently to these medications differently, but if you are having these issues, I would give this a try."

PersonPersonPerson82 July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I experienced my very first Anxiety attack three months ago, stemming from stress from work and eventually from fear of dying (provoked by the symptoms of the attacks). I began to fear nights, because they occurred at night, preventing me from properly sleep. I went two months without seeking medical help, until I did. I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. They prescribed me BuSpar/Busporine; I've been on it for a little over a month now (7.5m.g. twice a day) and OH MY GOSH, it saved my life. I haven't had an anxiety attack since the first day I began taking it! The first week, the only side effects I got were feeling groggy in the morning, but at night when you take it they do help you immensely to fall asleep."

5fragments July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I just started this, I am on my third day my Anxiety has not gotten any better. I am wondering how long it takes to help? I just want to feel like my old self again."

tillockm (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Thought this was a miracle drug for me. At first I was taking 5 mg a day twice a day with no side effects. NO SIDE EFFECTS, it was a dream! Since I tried all the SSRIs with no luck, due to intolerable side effects I had very high hopes. Once day six came around I started to feel the drug working more. That night I came home after working two 12 hour shifts back to back, and I had the worst insomnia of my life. I have NEVER EVER had trouble sleeping after my twelve hour shifts. I was up for almost 24 hours it was so bad and I was absolutely exhausted and miserable. Needless to say, I deemed the insomnia not worth taking this drug."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017