User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 7 reviews 17 medications

Anxiety 409 reviews 63 medications

6.7
Panic Disorder 48 reviews 19 medications

6.1
Summary of Buspirone reviews 464 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

For Anxiety: "I take 10mg twice a day, with food. Pamphlet says to take either with or without food, but be consistent. Only frequent side effect is tiredness, but I was always tired anyway. Infrequently I will get dizzy and nauseated for about 40 minutes after taking depending on how much caffeine I have had or how long after a meal I wait to take it. I noticed results after the first few doses, though I was warned that it may take longer. My mood has noticeably improved as well as my ability to handle day-to-day tasks like talking on the phone. I still have situational based anxiety, but that is more manageable than general anxiety. I have noticed that if I am a few hours late for a dose I get irritable for the next few doses."

xStarCyx (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2016

For Anxiety: "I like that it calms me down but I'm sleepy all day. I don't like feeling sleepy, I have things to do. It does help me get a great nights sleep. I sleep like a rock but wake up still feeling drowsy. So anyway- may not take it anymore unless its at night from time to time since it works rather quickly with for me. Yawwnnnn!!! AC"

AGCP July 13, 2016

For Anxiety: "its helpful but doesn't cover the day"

waiting 4 happiness (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "It has done great for me. I used to "bite my kids' heads off" in the mornings and startle a lot easier, for examples. I can also take it in small doses at a time to keep from sleeping all day from the side effects."

W.S. (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "I've been on this medication for about eight months for both panic disorder and anxiety, 30 mg twice a day. Just so people know, it takes roughly six weeks to kick in fully, so if you haven't felt anything yet, you need to give it time before you try something else. While it does make me very tired after I take it for about 30-40 minutes, it doesn't make me chronically tired like I was while on antidepressants. A short nap definitely helps if I'm not doing anything in the morning. It's absolutely brought my level of anxiety way, way down to a manageable level, especially after getting to the maximum dose. I'm functioning normally for the first time in years and I love it."

Isneksjdnemsifjenndjdjd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 4, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "was on 20 mg Cipralex then doctor added q 150 Buspar within 2 weeks my anxiety and depression got a lot worse, trouble sleeping and uncontrolled shaking Not for me"

Petros 141 July 4, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Started a 90 day prescription right after I had my daughter and it was horrible. Gave me anxiety and terrible panic attacks. I had to hop in a cold shower once. I felt as if I was gonna have a heart attack or my chest explode. Just got prescribed wellbutrin hoping to have better luck."

Vero94 June 21, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "My anxiety was extremely bad and I had tried lexapro but the side effects for me were horrible; so my doctor started new on BuSpar. I've been on it now going on two weeks and I can say I do feel a slight difference. My anxiety is still there but not as bad... I'm still having attacks off and on but I'm going to stick with this and give it some more time. The only side effect I have is the dizziness but I've learned if I eat even just a piece of toast that it helps with that. Other than that no side effects. I say if your suffering give this a try and stick with it."

TJackson23 June 20, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I had depression for years and in that last 8 months that turned into anxiety that gave severe shoulder and abdominal pain , sweaty palms and pounding heart , ruined my career and my social life and affected my decision making . Finally after trying to fight it with out using medication I had to go see a doctor because I couldn't take it anymore , doctor gave me buspirone and recomanded 3x 5mg a day . I started with 1 5mg every 24 hours and I can tell a difference , I am calm and I sleep better . The physical pain is almost gone which I assume was happening due to surge of my stress hormones which are now under control . It has been 3 days of peace and quite and hope it stays this way ."

Yaz86 June 17, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "One week on, started full dose yesterday. 30m. No side effects, and no haziness. I get slightly dizzy but doesn't interfere with walking. I have tried 3 others before this, And each time I had flu symptoms, couldn't leave the bathroom, couldn't work or take care of my children. This medicine has been nothing but great for me, I haven't had a headache or the tremors for a few days which is already life changing! I can focus, and I have slowly realized that my mind is quieting down:) if nothing has worked for you, please give this a try! No addiction to it they say.. I'm excited that I feel this great:) I can't wait to see what next week and the week after is. I'm looking forward to tomorrow, which is a foreign feeling. Good luck:)"

Busparinlove June 13, 2016

For Anxiety: "Ive been on 15 mg 2x daily for one week now. After taking Xanax for years, I tried to stop and ended up having a seizure and hospitalized for a few days. The doctors there prescribed me the buspirone, and I have not experienced any anxiety so far. I am now sleeping through the night which was a huge concern for me since I was going days with little to zero sleep. Only problem now is I could sleep all day! And I constantly have a dull headache. I try to ignore it and carry on, but its there all the time. I dont want to go back to benzos but they seem to have the best results.. I'll check back in a month with an update."

Nic.s. June 11, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Tried all the benzodiazepines with no luck. Then they tried Buspar and it changed my life."

kaube000 (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I am on Buspar and 5 milligrams once a day I feel that if I take it all at once and it does not work I am so lost because I can't stand this dizziness nausea in my stomach my feet feel like they're falling out from underneath me I really am lost the doctor wants me to stay on it but I do not want to up it because I feel like I keep going through these side effects over and over again every day due to the fact of it being Half-Life what do I do from here"

charscared (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2016

For Anxiety: "I recently started to use this drug, as I was diagnosed with a chronic illness and realized much of my pain was coming from anxiety. I have only been on it for a week, but I love it! I felt the effects the first day I took it. My doctor also told me that it is one of the safest out there and that he rarely even recommends benzos anymore due to this drug. I did get a little dizzy at first, so I stared taking halves. Anxiety was beginning to take over my life, I was anxious about anxiety. I can say that this stuff actually works!!!!"

Wvugirl2 June 5, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've been taking Buspar for a year. I feel like I can mange my life better when I'm on it. I can cope so much better with my life's stressors, especially the ones related to taking care of my daughter, who has autism. I used to get overwhelmed easily. With the busar I am more patient, not explosive or impulsive. Also, I used to have so many negative or catastrophic as automatic thoughts all the time. On Buspar I rarely have them. Buspar has worked great for me."

KellyBondGirl June 4, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've recently been stricken with anxiety, starting in January, after some hard events. I went from an excitable, coffee loving, caffeine addict, to a nervous wreck. I can't have more than 20mg of caffeine without having a severe panic attack...it's nuts..I'm a freaking barista. With Buspirone, I'm heart palpitation, and chest pain free. When it first kicked in, I immediately felt physically lighter. It was amazing! And I realized, that's exactly when the medicine kicked in for the first time. Gonna stick with it to see if I can eventually have caffeine again and be way less nervous over all!"

Caristonia (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Buspar lifted the anxiety ever so gently. I take 3 10 mg tablets per day and it's only $6 per month when prescribed that way. 2 15mg pills a day was $45. As if the relief from anxiety wasn't wonderful enough, after the first 3 years I went from getting plastered with viruses, to just 1 or 2 a year. Think about it...anxiety causes the brain to send out massive amounts of cortisol and adrenaline, which seriously compromises your immune system. Less cortisol & adrenaline equals a stronger immune system. Then there's the enhanced sexual experience for a percentage of us...and that's a little personal, but very appreciated!"

valj (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 26, 2016

For Anxiety: "I'm not one to turn to medication for help, but when I got to the point where anxiety was eating me from the inside out I knew I could use help. I am taking Vyvanse 20 for my A.D.D and was prescribed 5mg of Buspar twice a day. I'm very sensitive to medication so I wanted to start off low and I've read many people feel like it's a sugar pill because they feel nothing. I can tell you that this is not like Xanax. Usually around 6pm I start feeling anxious on everything that is to come. Cooking, college homework, my children, appointments and even taking showers gave me anxiety because I knew it needed to be done and I felt I didn't have enough time. It's an awful nauseating feeling for those of you who suffer from it. I felt 100% better..."

NurseLizzyBee May 25, 2016

For Anxiety: "Buspirone acts on a very specific neuronal receptor which is why people experience such a diverse set of reactions. Do not be afraid to work with the dosage. I take 2mg twice a day. that's it. that's all I need. if it helps your anxiety but gives bad side effects just lower the dose! I think for those of us that buspar helps, it does make us lose our sparkle. we aren't anxious as much but get a little "i don't care zombie" going on now I am trying to find a supplement or Rx that can add that bit of sparkle buspar takes away. I am allergic to SSRI, SSNRI, DNRI, and many others. but overall buspar is worth a try. anything from 1 mg to 50 mg might be your magic bullet. don't be afraid to try. just start low."

Bees Knees May 14, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have had anxiety all my life, my mom will tell you since I was 4 years old lol. I went on prescription meds when I was 18. Started with Lexapro, it stopped working. Switched to Prozac, that stopped working. Switched to another SSRI, so on and so forth for years. I have always disliked meds like Xanax, due to how my body tolerated the drug. So I declined taking anything in that drug class or even close to it. I am not a depressed person, I have been diagnosed with GAD for the past 15 years. I have to say, I feel such a change after 3 weeks on no meds to clear my system and now being on Buspar 10mg BID for the past week. My head feels clear, sex drive is back and off the charts, my memory is back. I will keep updating but so far I'm happy!"

Min21 May 14, 2016

For Anxiety: "Just started 5mg Buspar (3x a day or prn) tonight after being pulled from Wellbutrin. I took Citalopram for 7 years prior to trying the wellbutrin and has to stop because that obliterated my sex drive. I am prescribed .25mg xanax prn. I feel tired now. Calm. I feel a little jumpy, but not like I usually do. I suppose we'll see!"

Let's try it May 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "Diagnosed with GAD a few years ago after a series of life changing events. Originally prescribed Cymbalta (Duloxetine) and Xanax (as needed) but I did not like the side effects of those drugs. After a painful withdrawal from Duloxotine, my physician placed me on Buspar 5mg 3x daily, later it was increased to 10mg 3x daily. Doctor claimed there was no addictive nature to the drug and discontinuing use would have no side effects either. What a difference!. Very little, if any, anxiety. Better mood, sleep and none of the negative side effects I had previously. Highly recommend."

JBChicago (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "Took buspar for the first time yesterday. My PTSD has been growing into agoraphobia slowly and it has been debilitating. Started 7.5mg of the buspar and not even and hour later, I was walking like a drunk, felt like my entire body was being zapped if I moved my neck or head. I was so dizzy I had to take a nap. Decided maybe I'd be better with the night time dose. Took it before bed, fell asleep, and woke up every two hours. Ended up wetting the bed (not an issue I've had ever) and still too damned dizzy to get up. I'm in my mid twenties. This medication doesn't help me and I'd rather stay on the Clonazepam."

Pandoras Box April 28, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I initially was prescribed this a few months ago at 10 mg 3xd, but it made me headachy and almost made my anxiety worse, so I quit taking it. I cannot take benzos, and recently am having more problems with anxiety, so I'm trying it at 5 mg 3xd. Now I see what others have been talking positively about. It's very subtle, but apparently I was just taking too much for my system before. So far, so good."

8901l (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have suffered from anxiety/panic disorders for about 2 1/2 years. I was starting to feel hopeless. I would avoid places unknown and stay home a lot. I got put on buspar finally and I feel like a different person...I'm happy again and feel NORMAL. I am unbelieveably happy and can't imagine life without it. Thanks buspar!"

svavanahp April 24, 2016