User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 11 reviews 15 medications

Panic Disorder 62 reviews 19 medications

5.8
Summary of Buspirone reviews 615 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Buspirone

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have been on Buspar for about 2 months now for anxiety from keppra. It seems to work sometime but when I get an anxiety or panic attack it hits hard. I was on 5mg twice a day and now my dose is really high. Like today it seems to have no effect. And I'm always lightheaded dizzy fogged out feeling. And my other doctor said to try Xanax."

theplacetobe234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed this drug for anxiety I took it home and managed to take it for 2 days but immediately noticed severe insomnia that after two days made me stop taking it. On top of the inability to sleep despite feeling tired I had absolutely zero appetite. In the little over 48 hours I had only managed to eat a handful of cherries... However when I was on the drug I did notice less irritability and increased fatigue which I attributed to not sleeping or eating."

Josephw1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I started talking this medication last Monday and was only on it for 4 days before I had to quit. I had so many of the different side effects of this drug like lack of appetite, stomach upset, extremely worse anxiety than I had before I started and extreme drowsiness during the day but insomnia at night. It was an absolute nightmare for me but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for someone else."

Cyndi16 July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I've been on Buspirone for many years. I also take Lamotrigine (Lamictil). I have a less anxiety but a lot of social anxiety still. What I didn't connect, until reading a lot of fellow Buspirone takers here, is that the faintness I get (feeling like I'll pass out if I don't sit) and also about every 3 months I get the dizzyness. Sometimes when I lay down in bed the ceiling looks like it's spinning wildly. I always have to bring snacks with me everywhere for those times of faintness. I thought they were just how I am normally. I'll have to check with my doctor. I'd have thought she'd have brought that up before :( I don't remember if I had the other symptoms of some here, with the headaches and nausea. Too long ago."

Cathychocolatelover July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I started out on 5 mg, 3 times day and am now at 10 mg 3-4 times a day. I've experienced no side effects. I do feel less anxiety (constant worry, easily irritated), but feel it come back about 5 hours later. It has taken the edge off of social anxiety but has taken about 2 months to get there. It is a mild anti anxiety med. It doesn't make you feel drugged or spaced out. It helps to give you the ability to stop the anxious thoughts but doesn't seem to do it all for you. I have ADD as well and take Wellbutrin along with Buspar. I have taken Lexapro and although it does wonders for anxiety it also caused me to feel a bit manic over time. Lexapro also wiped out my memory. I have a grandson now and I want to remember and be at my best for him."

Alisann (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "How this "medication" ever got approved is beyond me. In my case, I have been taking the maximum dose allowed (60 mg per day) for months, and my reaction is a big yawn. Zip, nada nothing. Doesn't help with anxiety, and forget my panic attacks. Too bad my docs refuse to give me Xanax (alprazolam) any more... guidelines! I guess I'm supposed to chew on a stick when I get anxiety or panic attacks. Right."

Chuck-e (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I started Buspar 2 days ago, I'm not sure if is working, my personal situation is creating chaos in my life and anxiety and panic attacks are everyday occurrences. I'm having serious problems to be able to sleep after 2 am ( always woke up and can't go back to sleep). Today I'm trembling and have terrible headache, nausea and tiredness. I don't know if continue this med or stop it before I get worse. Can anybody experience this side effects the first days and then got better???, I don't know what to do and I can't stand still."

Leahkana (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "Wow. This drug really restored my ability to have an orgasm. I have been complaining about Lexapro destroying my sex drive to my doctor since I started Lexapro. It was getting to the point where I had to choose between a sex life and my sanity. Unfortunately, my doctor didn't do anything about it. I was the one who had to ask if I could take Buspar, after internet research. Lexapro reduced my social and generalised anxiety by, I would say, 80%. Buspar restored my ability to have an orgasm, and also seems to be reducing my anxiety even further. I know everyone reacts differently to these medications differently, but if you are having these issues, I would give this a try."

PersonPersonPerson82 July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I experienced my very first Anxiety attack three months ago, stemming from stress from work and eventually from fear of dying (provoked by the symptoms of the attacks). I began to fear nights, because they occurred at night, preventing me from properly sleep. I went two months without seeking medical help, until I did. I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. They prescribed me BuSpar/Busporine; I've been on it for a little over a month now (7.5m.g. twice a day) and OH MY GOSH, it saved my life. I haven't had an anxiety attack since the first day I began taking it! The first week, the only side effects I got were feeling groggy in the morning, but at night when you take it they do help you immensely to fall asleep."

5fragments July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I just started this, I am on my third day my Anxiety has not gotten any better. I am wondering how long it takes to help? I just want to feel like my old self again."

tillockm (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Thought this was a miracle drug for me. At first I was taking 5 mg a day twice a day with no side effects. NO SIDE EFFECTS, it was a dream! Since I tried all the SSRIs with no luck, due to intolerable side effects I had very high hopes. Once day six came around I started to feel the drug working more. That night I came home after working two 12 hour shifts back to back, and I had the worst insomnia of my life. I have NEVER EVER had trouble sleeping after my twelve hour shifts. I was up for almost 24 hours it was so bad and I was absolutely exhausted and miserable. Needless to say, I deemed the insomnia not worth taking this drug."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "This medication did not work for my anxiety. BuSpar actually allowed my anxiety to increase with severe insomnia and vivid dreams. It also caused severe stomach and intestinal problems. I also experienced dizziness irritability and incoordination. There are other symptoms from BuSpar these are the main ones that caused me to stop taking the drug."

Iron Ang June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was on 15 mg of buspirone for many months. I recently lost my job and have a lot of anxiety and depression. I am seeing a psychiatrist who said my dose was too low and upped it to 60 mg a day. I still don't feel like it is working. I am also on Zoloft. I still am having a lot of anxiety. Years ago I was on Ativan and it was a miracle drug for me. I would like to stop the buspirone and just take the Ativan as needed. I see my psychiatrist in a couple weeks and am going to suggest that. I also have the feeling of a huge lump in my throat that I know is stress related."

Rockmej (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Developed anxiety and panic again after not having it for 30 years. Could have been triggered by an attack of vertigo. Dr. put me on Buspar 10mg twice a day. I was also on Prozac 20 mg once a day and Clonopin 0.5mg once at night for years and felt just fine. The Buspar made me spacey and did not help the anxiety. They reduced it to 5mg twice a day. Still a little spacey and did not help anxiety. Upped my Clonopin to an extra 0.5mg in morning and 0.25mg in afternoon. Buspar is not helping. Going to ask my doctor to change to something else. Been on it almost a couple of months. Any help anyone can give me? Thanks so much. I am also afraid to be alone at home since hubby works 2nd shift but is going to 1st shift next week which will help."

lmp1954 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've been on this for about 3 weeks now. At first I thought it was helping my anxiety a bit but then I realized it was just making me tired and loopy after I took it, and that's worn off now (which is good but now I realized it wasn't helping). Giving it 3 stars because it didn't hurt me except for the tired loopy feeling, and I can't orgasm easily at all. Also my appetite is gone so I've lost some weight, which is nice except having no appetite meant I wasn't taking in enough calories so I was even more tired. Basically it was just pointless and didn't help."

YETI3000 (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I used buspar 5mg once every few years. It's very good for me and very mild. I tried double dosage once and I was groggy. But on 5mg, I was perfectly normal. When I get my anxiety attack (once every decade or so) my hands shake, can't eat, color of my face goes pale.... but immediately soon after taking buspar, I feel much better. Please note that these medication don't work just as well on everybody. The nature of psychotropic medication would work wonders on one person, and horribly or not at all one another person. You gotta keep trying until you find something that works for you."

WackyGuy (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I was very nervous to take any medication but after trying therapy, some meditation & self-help. I decided to try buspirone. Other stuff helped to some extent. I was so anxious. To start I split 7.5 pills in half and started at 7.5mg a day. After a month I increased it to 3 times a day. Again I split 7.5 in half so I'm taking 3 times a day for a total of 11.25 mg a day total current dosage last (6) months Pros: I did start to feel less anxious, I didn't like overreact to stress like I used to. I still get anxious but its prob decreased by about 60-70% which is fine. Some anxiety is fine. I'm glad I take it. Cons: Do feel tired especially first month or two and sometimes still. I currently added Bupropion (Wellbutrin) for depression."

ANxiousGuy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Started taking the lowest dose, when that seemed ineffective the doctor upped the dosage, a few times. The entire time I was on the medication I had horrible dizzy spells. I had to time my taking it just right so I would be able to drive to work safely. At first I felt better. I was hoping this was the medicine that would help me with my anxiety. I had hope my body would "get used to it" and the dizziness would eventually end. That never happened. I gave it a full year (I know now how ridiculous that was). During this time period I also had really negative thoughts that I absolutely believe were linked to the medication. I have been off of it and on a different medication for almost a year now and can finally see what it was doing to me."

BeaMartin June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I did not like this medication nor do I recommend it. I don't know if I was taking a low dose or a normal dose but I was on 10 mg twice a day. That medication made me feel very tingly, I felt like a rubberband that was stretched pulled, this was a daily feeling, it was scary. I also had feelings of not being able to control myself. For example when washing dishes I felt that I was out of control. So I hurried and washed dishes. I took this medication for about 2 months, I stopped taking it. I will never again take it again. What did help me with 95% of my anxiety attacks was to stay away from sugar and flour products. Now I rarely have anxiety attacks. More Protein!"

Nando2017 June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Only been on it for about a month but so far it's really helped. Had me on Paxil as well at first and I hated how I felt on that - lots of headaches and sweating. Doing much better on the Buspar alone."

Binxter123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I've been taking buspar in differing doses on and off for over a year. I was prescribed it and 0.5mg xanax for severe anxiety and panic attacks. Taken together it was helping only couldn't function or take care of my daughter while taking both. Since moving to another state I stopped taking the xanax and then got pregnant so can't take it anyways. My anxiety and panic issues got better after moving to the new state. But getting pregnant again my anxiety came back . I was started on a slightly lower dose then was taking before and it was too much for me so my ob and I decided on a lower dose but I upped it due to not being helpful I will be upping again and hopefully it helps... Its a good medication if the right dose."

It does work (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I been perscribed this for GAD I haven't begun yet cause I've never taken anything besides occasionally valuim at the dentist. I been reading reviews and am worried until it works will I be able to function. ?"

SunSue (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Prescribed 7.5mg twice a day, to eventually move up to 15mg. The first dose made me so dizzy and lightheaded that to had to lie down. I tried just one small dose for a few days after, kept getting dizzy spells and feeling faint. Actually increased anxiety because I was so worried about the side effects"

Tinabelcher (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I'm taking buspar for anxiety that I'm having due to an injury. I broke my wrist about 8 weeks ago, and I am in a cast from the tip of my thumb to just below the elbow. My Dr. told me I might be in this cast for 12 weeks or significantly longer. I started having bad anxiety and panic attacks. So my family Dr. put me on buspar and zoloft for the duration of being in a cast. So far it hasn't seemed to help very much, 7.5 mg twice daily. I'm hoping that it will start helping with the anxiety. I do feel a little light headed and I'm always tried. This isn't my first broken bone or cast, but this is the first time I've ever experienced anxiety."

Alex 5000 (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "Buspirone has worked miracles for me and I did not expect it to work. Multiple doctors have tried SSRIs for my anxiety multiple times and SSRIs have never, ever worked for me. The only thing that has worked were benzos, and we all know that doctors treat you like an addict if you try to take benzos without the SSRIs. I am so glad my current doctor tried this for me instead of trying to shove more SSRI's down my throat. On this medication I am more confident, have been able to enjoy situations that would have given me panic attacks a month ago, and I worry less as a result. My doctor explained this med by saying that it increases serotonin. If you have low serotonin, SSRIs won't help. In that case Buspirone can help."

HiTherePeople (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017