User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 10 reviews 15 medications

Panic Disorder 62 reviews 19 medications

5.8
Summary of Buspirone reviews 593 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Buspirone

For Anxiety: "Prescribed 7.5mg twice a day, to eventually move up to 15mg. The first dose made me so dizzy and lightheaded that to had to lie down. I tried just one small dose for a few days after, kept getting dizzy spells and feeling faint. Actually increased anxiety because I was so worried about the side effects"

Tinabelcher (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I'm taking buspar for anxiety that I'm having due to an injury. I broke my wrist about 8 weeks ago, and I am in a cast from the tip of my thumb to just below the elbow. My Dr. told me I might be in this cast for 12 weeks or significantly longer. I started having bad anxiety and panic attacks. So my family Dr. put me on buspar and zoloft for the duration of being in a cast. So far it hasn't seemed to help very much, 7.5 mg twice daily. I'm hoping that it will start helping with the anxiety. I do feel a little light headed and I'm always tried. This isn't my first broken bone or cast, but this is the first time I've ever experienced anxiety."

Alex 5000 (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "Buspirone has worked miracles for me and I did not expect it to work. Multiple doctors have tried SSRIs for my anxiety multiple times and SSRIs have never, ever worked for me. The only thing that has worked were benzos, and we all know that doctors treat you like an addict if you try to take benzos without the SSRIs. I am so glad my current doctor tried this for me instead of trying to shove more SSRI's down my throat. On this medication I am more confident, have been able to enjoy situations that would have given me panic attacks a month ago, and I worry less as a result. My doctor explained this med by saying that it increases serotonin. If you have low serotonin, SSRIs won't help. In that case Buspirone can help."

HiTherePeople (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have debilitating anxiety which keeps me from leaving the house many days. Before, I would cry almost daily, even when life was going better. The little things tore me apart. With the buspar... it's like I'm getting "moments" back. I still get anxious sometimes, but I have occasional periods of feeling. ... normal. Clear. Simple, natural interactions with family and friends are possible again. As time goes on, I'm experiencing more and more "moments" of real life again, or, life before anxiety. Multiple friends have told me I seem much happier. Though I don't particularly think of myself as suddenly " all sunshine and roses", I feel like I have my life back. I'm actually living again."

J.bohannon May 7, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "FAINTING SPELL. About 30 minutes after taking this, for about 15 minutes my heart would race (~135bpm?), and I would feel as if I were about to FAINT (head rush?). I would spend 15 minutes trying to remain calm, fighting the urge to collapse. I tried it twice and had the same response. Thank goodness I wasn't driving when it kicked in. My wife had a similar reaction. Seriously, please be cautious when first trying this medication."

drugs010101 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "Gave me brain shocks and worsened my panic attack. I understand that different medications are for different people but this gave me migraines. 5mg."

Skittish_Mittens (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I still had anxiety. I woke up in the middle of the night, but in the morning I was dizzy till about 11. Can't be productive on this medicine!"

Keytolife (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "28 female- I was diagnosed with Bipolar, manic depressive when I was 14. I have been on an off of medication for years. When I approached my PCP for medication for my anxiety they were nervous about giving me a SSRI due to they make me manic. They tried giving me abilify but that landed me in the ER. Buspirone was my last resort. It's been about 4 weeks and what a difference. I'm enjoying my life with my kids, family, and friends again. I used to go everywhere with no problems but the past 7 months I could barely leave my house. I shut down completely. Buspirone is changing me back to the person I was. My anger has diminished. My paranoia is gone. I can go out in public without a panic attack or racing thoughts."

Jerseygirl07 April 28, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I am taking the buspar but it making me feel too relaxed and giving me worse anxiety. My whole body is tingly and I have a huge headache I don't have anything else that to take but I am so afraid to take it - it is Saturday I can't get a hold of my dr. I just don't what to anymore anyone have any ideas"

Kim rojas April 22, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I started on 5 mg for anxiety caused by my OCD. I got bumped to 7.5 and within 3 days could feel some of the terrible anxiety burn I get in my upper back go away. A month went by and I had a terrible setback with depression because I could no longer could deal with my panic & OCD. Doctor bumped me to 10 mg. Same pattern occurred.... within 3 days I was feeling better. In fact, had the best day in a while. It might just be a coincidence and therapy might be helping in conjunction with, but I notice Buspar does help with my extreme anxiety, but only when I went above 5 mg. I have not noticed any side effects. I'm also taking zoloft, zyprexa 2.5, and klonipin .25. I have endured a lot with panic attacks, OCD, and depression hence all the meds."

kytrailhikers April 15, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "So, I give this 7 out of 10. I'd give it 10 out of 10, but the first week on this was really uncomfortable. I almost stopped using it. I started out at 10 mg buspar once a day and then after a week increased to 10 twice a day . The first week, I won't lie, was a doozy. My psych said that her patients either love it or hate it and it's pretty much 50/50 with little gray area. But since it's inexpensive, been around for a while, and is pretty safe, she likes that to be the first option when dealing with GAD. Fair. The first week, I was really, really dizzy. Felt a bit fuzzy in the head. kind of jumpy. I had to pull over while driving and sit down for a bit. BUT after about two weeks. Whoah. My life is changed. I'm no longer so anxious!!"

DancingPrancingBearwithAnxiety April 14, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "This medication can be effective when used correctly. It has to be taken every day around the same time, much like the way an antidepressant works. It takes a few weeks to become effective. It is not to be taken as needed, as someone mentioned. You have to keep a steady dose of it in your system. For me, it works much better at low doses, best benefit with least side effects, when taken this way."

G Mc (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I take it when I start getting overwhelmed, I don't take it every day just as needed ,works good for me , I don't like long term meds or anything that makes me weird in the head, so far I take at least 2 or 3 in a weeks time sometimes less, it calms me down to where I can function, all in all I'm ok with it, everyone is different and have different effects"

Moni53 April 11, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I'm on the fence about this medication, I used it for generalized anxiety disorder which was exacerbated after my mother passed away unexpectedly. Well I have to say, I was shaky like I was just as anxious, so I though it was the anxiety, so I stopped the medication after 6 months and I am not shaky anymore, I also feel like everything is clearer. I was on a very light dose 2.5mg three times a day. Maybe I did not take enough. So he gave me Lexapro, which I have not started, I am holding out, when I get anxious I take a half of a .25 xanax and it keeps the anxiety away. So if I was to say I don't think this medication helped very much. Maybe at a higher dose, I don't know. I am skeptical about taking anything like this."

toomuchanxiety April 6, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I been like a lab rat for many years. Have been on and off this trash Hasn't ever helped me. They (different Dr throughout years) will try this first. For one. I don't want to be over or under medicated. I understand everybody reacts differently to prescriptions or any thing they eat, drink, or put in body. Honestly for me I believe these are placebos (like a sugar or salt pill). I do not abuse any medication. I've been up to 75 MG throughout a day. I can tell you .5mg of clonazepam 3 times a day and I function pretty well. Have had Valium, xanax and felt like a zombie throughout the day. Do work with your Dr. Hopefully you have one that will listen. And offer suggestions if this doesn't work. Good luck"

The helper (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Works well in combination with an SSRI. I stopped Buspar due to drowsiness and immediate weight gain. I experienced increased appetite and wanted to eat constantly. I was diagnosed with Adult Attention Deficit Disorder without Hyperactivity. I currently take Adderall, low dose Wellbutrin XL, and low dose Prozac. The Prozac and Wellbutrin XL assist in alleviating depressive symptoms during the winter months. Everyone is unique. Talk to your doctor; follow their advice."

Mattican April 4, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I took this medication for several months for anxiety and it did nothing to help at all. In fact my anxiety got worse."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Cannot see any difference in depression"

gub March 26, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Didn't do anything but make me tired.. started at 15mg and went all the way up to 60mg with no improvement."

ChrisPBacon (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "I take quite a big dose also I take it with 300 mg of wellbutrin. I hope it does not affect the liver I am going to get it checked out. When ever I feel anxious I take it. I think I am addicted to it. My doctor doesn't know it I just keep getting refills. I hope this dosage isn't bad. It is really helping me though. I also have OCD and it helps with that somewhat."

Quiffy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I think buspar is working really well for me.. I also take zoloft and its a great combination so far. I do get a little dizzy but my anxiety was so bad that I'd rather be a little dizzy than anxious.."

Mmjr (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Have had anxiety for many years, have tried numerous meds and none worked for long. Because of numerous surgeries I have a high drug tolerance and sometimes weird reactions. After taking Cymbalta for 3 years the excessive sweating just became too much, I am now on Lexapro and was using Clonazapan when an attack would start,concerned about addiction to Clonazapan my doctor suggested Buspar. I started with 7.5 twice a day did not feel much until starting the third week then 10mg 3xs a day. Did have side effects but was encouraged to wait 4wks, so glad I did. 1st time in years and I mean years, I feel like the old me, sleep through the night, no side effects. I encourage you to wait and see before you give up on it, for me well worth it."

Finally Me (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2017

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Not sure about this one yet. I have been on it for only five days now and it's a roller coaster ride. Sometimes I feel okay and other times I feel like I'm going crazy. My doctor prescribed me to take 15mg twice daily which I think was way too much to start out with. I literally felt like I was going to lose my mind because of the thoughts I was having. I also think this has increased my depression and feeling of isolation. I know that this medication takes time to work in your system and that it can make symptoms worse while it is working so I'm going to try and ride it out a little longer. I've cut my dosage in half to 7.5 twice daily and I'm going to see if that helps."

User1524 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "Probably the worse drug ever made. No help at all from panic attacks or anxiety. Tried the drug for months and all I got from it was vertigo."

ann445 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Today is the THIRD day I've been on it and haven't taken todays dose YET.. . The first day I took it I felt a little bit weird in my brain but felt great, the foggyness was gone. Second day, I hadn't the chance to take it earlier in the day than before, felt weird in my brain for the first hour then I felt like a million bucks, when I took it for the second time that day, I was almost SURE it was 8 hours later, iIfelt like I was going to die.. trembling, dizzy, nauseous. Everything was wrong.. then after a couple hours I felt like a million bucks... it just makes me suffer soooo bad for the first hour or two then it's GREAT. So I was wondering if yesterday I took my doses 2 close together yesterday? I just am scared that I'm gonna end up having the first seizure of my life or something...."

I have bipolar disorder w/ GAD (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017