User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 10 reviews 15 medications

Panic Disorder 60 reviews 19 medications

5.8
Summary of Buspirone reviews 576 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Buspirone

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Cannot see any difference in depression"

gub March 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Didn't do anything but make me tired.. started at 15mg and went all the way up to 60mg with no improvement."

ChrisPBacon (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "I take quite a big dose also I take it with 300 mg of wellbutrin. I hope it does not affect the liver I am going to get it checked out. When ever I feel anxious I take it. I think I am addicted to it. My doctor doesn't know it I just keep getting refills. I hope this dosage isn't bad. It is really helping me though. I also have OCD and it helps with that somewhat."

Quiffy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I think buspar is working really well for me.. I also take zoloft and its a great combination so far. I do get a little dizzy but my anxiety was so bad that I'd rather be a little dizzy than anxious.."

Mmjr (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Have had anxiety for many years, have tried numerous meds and none worked for long. Because of numerous surgeries I have a high drug tolerance and sometimes weird reactions. After taking Cymbalta for 3 years the excessive sweating just became too much, I am now on Lexapro and was using Clonazapan when an attack would start,concerned about addiction to Clonazapan my doctor suggested Buspar. I started with 7.5 twice a day did not feel much until starting the third week then 10mg 3xs a day. Did have side effects but was encouraged to wait 4wks, so glad I did. 1st time in years and I mean years, I feel like the old me, sleep through the night, no side effects. I encourage you to wait and see before you give up on it, for me well worth it."

Finally Me (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Not sure about this one yet. I have been on it for only five days now and it's a roller coaster ride. Sometimes I feel okay and other times I feel like I'm going crazy. My doctor prescribed me to take 15mg twice daily which I think was way too much to start out with. I literally felt like I was going to lose my mind because of the thoughts I was having. I also think this has increased my depression and feeling of isolation. I know that this medication takes time to work in your system and that it can make symptoms worse while it is working so I'm going to try and ride it out a little longer. I've cut my dosage in half to 7.5 twice daily and I'm going to see if that helps."

User1524 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "Probably the worse drug ever made. No help at all from panic attacks or anxiety. Tried the drug for months and all I got from it was vertigo."

ann445 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Today is the THIRD day I've been on it and haven't taken todays dose YET.. . The first day I took it I felt a little bit weird in my brain but felt great, the foggyness was gone. Second day, I hadn't the chance to take it earlier in the day than before, felt weird in my brain for the first hour then I felt like a million bucks, when I took it for the second time that day, I was almost SURE it was 8 hours later, iIfelt like I was going to die.. trembling, dizzy, nauseous. Everything was wrong.. then after a couple hours I felt like a million bucks... it just makes me suffer soooo bad for the first hour or two then it's GREAT. So I was wondering if yesterday I took my doses 2 close together yesterday? I just am scared that I'm gonna end up having the first seizure of my life or something...."

I have bipolar disorder w/ GAD (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Started taking about 4 weeks ago. I have bad anxiety that had manifested into depression. Doctor was trying me on lamictal, To help with my severe mood swings, and anxiety. I was on it for 2 months, I take this medication twice day. I notice I have bouts of being really talkative. Sleep is good, although I take Ambien. My over all mood has done a 180, anxiety level is maybe a 1-2. I've noticed a decrease in my appetite, not as hungry . Has not affected my energy level. I work out 5 days a week. My libido has increased, that may be from just being in a better mood."

Nija February 26, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Have been on Buspar for a few months, and I like it a lot! It has made severe and paralyzing anxiety lift to a manageable level, even while taking a low dosage of 10 mg daily. My Dr. told me that I can increase the dosage, since in taking so little it doesn't rid me of anxiety completely (no med can). But I noticed that when I upped my dose my appetite came back more than I would have liked. Essentially, I think it works to strengthen my SSRI (sertraline); and I did have dizziness when I first started and felt pretty bad, but that's common for anti-anxieties and usually goes away as your body gets used to it. I do still find however after I take my morning dose (usually) with coffee I do feel a bit woozy but it usually wears off quickly."

soybeant February 24, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Buspar* Took 5 MG at 10:00 pm and stayed up until 2 am the night before work (due to being very mentally hyper and aware). Mouth and eyes very dry the next day.  Felt very weird all day the next day. Very hyper.  Wanted to continuously talk.  Felt wired but yet didn't really want to move.  Hard to function at work, but yet was in good mood (almost felt drunk). Seemed like I was slurring(possibly from dry mouth?)"

AuntBetty February 24, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I've been titrating up on Buspar after going off of Xanax last year and then starting up with 5mg fluoxetine and 10mg doxepin. So far, this is working far more gently than the xanax. I don't have a zap of relief following by impending panic attacks within hours. I am much more level. I am having side effects of nausea, dizziness, and light-headedness for a few days after each increase in dosage. I'm up to 20mg 3x a day and I'm supposed to sit tight here so I'm hoping to be done with the side effects soon and get into a stable state. I had a ton of problems with withdrawal from the benzos so I don't want to go back to them; buspirone has been a great alternative so far. My anxiety is so bad that I'd rather be dizzy and nauseated than anxious"

OCPD & Anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "This stuff is HORRIBLE. Made me very irritated/jumpy/even more anxious. Felt like my mind was racing...felt even more overwhelmed. This is the worst stuff I've been on yet..I had to stop taking it because I couldn't even function right. This stuff is really, really bad.. doc put me on Lexapro today hopefully that helps!!"

AmberLP February 21, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "My daughter, who has BPD, has taken Buspirone for about 18 months to treat her anxiety. It doesn't treat the full range of BPD symptoms (which is why I didn't rate it higher as a BPD medication), but for anxiety, it's the one drug she takes that truly does its job."

LiliPadTx (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "My doctor put me on this medicine on 2-17-2017 twice a day at 7.5mg for my anxiety and stress levels. Today is 2-20-2017 and I'm already having issues. I ended up getting extremely light headed, heart racing, sweating, and dizzy all in the matter of five minutes. I went to go to the bathroom so I could try and feel better. Next time I remember I was on the floor laying in a pool of my own vomit. At that time, I had no idea what was going on, what had happened, or anything. I ended up having a bad seizure. I was locked in place for five minutes, not breathing properly, and throwing up everywhere. I was extremely confused and exhausted like I had just ran a marathon. Went to bed and had another one six hours later."

Bee Jop (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I feel like most of the reviews that say they had panic attacks on it is because they had reduced or stopped a benzo Xanax, kolanapin, valum. I am on Xanax and feel a difference after taking buspar for a while. My doctor did not take me off the xanax or lower the dose but said see how you feel. I also have a non addicting personality but I am dependent on the medication ill admit. i feel that most of you should have started taking the buspar and took the benzo as well because you might be feeling the anxiety more because of that not the new medication. You are withdrawing. These medications need to be slowly weened off and only after the new meds have started working. I feel bad you guys didn't give it a chance because of your Drs."

peeto February 17, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've been on bupropion for depression several years with dry mouth being the only side effect. Panic attacks started a couple of years ago. Take Xanax and it works great for me. Last year the panic attacks started occurring more often with severe anxiety this past fall. I didn't want to get addicted to Xanax by taking several times or more a week. Started Buspirone 7.5 mg 2/x per day. I felt relief from my anxiety in about 3 weeks, but around 8-10 week mark I felt like it contributed to weight gain and bloating . Taking 7.5 only once a day lessened side effects. However 3mo. now weight gain is 5-6 lbs (a lot for 5'1"), bloated and water retention none of which is reducing with proper diet, exercise and increased water intake."

AnnieTdub February 15, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I left a review awhile back, but now I have to revise it. When I first started taking Buspar I was happy with it, but then it stopped working for me. I'm now on the max dosage of 60 mg. I take 30 mg in the morning & 30 mg in the evening, but it is not helping me at all. I still have very bad anxiety, panic attacks & paranoia. Since it isn't doing anything for me I will probably stop taking it."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've had panic and general anxiety for years. It's been exacerbated by hormonal changes and menopause, and I've had major trouble getting a full night's sleep. I have used Xanax occasionally and love the way it eliminates my anxiety, but I don't want to get addicted. My doc had me try a low dose Buspar and it didn't work for me at all. Gave me a horrendous headache, very very painful. I tried it for about three days and had the same experience every time. I had to stop taking it since this side effect was debilitating. I was hoping it would work for me, and so glad it works for others. Just putting my experience out there in case others have this problem. I'm trying Celexa now instead and have learned to limit Xanax usage."

Unknown Celebrity (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "I have OCD-induced anxiety and depression, for which I was taking the SSRI Luvox. Luvox caused me sexual dysfunction (difficulty reaching orgasm and delayed ejaculation), so my psychiatrist prescribed 5mg of buspirone to take 3 times a day. This medication works well to boost desire and makes the orgasms feel good. I have since stopped taking Luvox, and now rely solely on buspirone for my anxiety. This medication generally boosts my mood. That said, I am surprised by the number of people who are prescribed this medication "as needed." This is not a benzodiazepine, and in order to feel the anxiolytic effects, it is necessary to take buspirone 2-3 times a day for at least two weeks."

R.W.J. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "It is too bad that doctor's are so freaked out about addictive behavior to the point where they are willing to let people suffer. Valium in low dose works and this is just junk. It may work for some but even results using test rats I have seen state they have low results. I resent it when a person really needs help for acute conditions and they are given this kind of low performing medication."

Valkyrie2 January 30, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I have bipolar disorder with anxiety problems. My nurse practitioner at my psychiatrist office persribed buspar for my anxiety. I got home took it and went to bed, only to wake up in the middle of the night with the bed soaked in sweat, i'm burning up with my heart beating so fast my chest was hurting. I went back to my old medicine after that."

LunarRevel January 30, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've long used BuSpar, and it is an odd duck. Alone, it did little, but in combination with other meds it's amazing. Particularly SSRIs. It seems to amplify other meds, from painkillers to Prozac. It's not something I'm afraid to take, the boost is subtle but it definitely helps my anxiety slip away. I've not noticed any sick withdrawal efffects, being off it once for 2 months. I take 30 mg/day in two 15 mg doses."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I started taking this medicine last Saturday after I had an attack and passed out on the floor Friday and was sent to the ER. Well they prescribed me this, I have never had any situations like this before, and since I have been taking it I have been so confused, slow to react, tired, dizzy, and can't even hardly function at my job right now."

Matt.Taylor January 25, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I know this med doesn't work for everyone, but I really love buspar. When I started it, and whenever I have gone up in dose, I'll get a few days of headaches, but the side effects are so mild, and this is coming from someone who couldn't handle 5mg of lexapro. Buspar is the only med I take and I no longer have crushing and debilitating anxiety. I've got a totally normal level of anxiety. Best of all, I feel like myself completely (minus the anxiety, lol). I take 15mg twice a day"

Unfamousnovelist (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2017