User Reviews for Buspirone to treat Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced

Also known as: BuSpar

Buspirone Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 7 medications used in the treatment of Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced.

Reviews for Buspirone

Chance · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2020

“I was on Lexapro for about 6 months for anxiety!! It basically brought my sex life to an end. Difficulty maintaining an erection and premature ejaculation. Been on buspar for over a month and my sex life is better than ever!! No more premature ejaculation and my erection is harder and better than ever!! I’m 45 years old and I feel 20 again!!”

Kat · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 17, 2019

“I got put on buspirone for libido problems and my libido came back like it was in my teenage years within a few days of taking 15 mg daily. I didn't know curing sexual dysfunction was a side effect. Made me feel human again, my libido had been dead for 4.5 yrs due to extreme domestic abuse. Talk about feeling alive again.”

John October 8, 2019

“So after 10 years of having difficulty in my sex life, keeping an erection, Diagnosed with bi polar, mania, and panic attacks and insomnia I was prescribed buspar and after just a few days this is what it has helped my sex life back like I was in my teens . I’d even say that it has been increased and surpassed my functionality. Another thing I noticed immediately was my dreams were back. My dose that I started with was 10mg 2 times per day but I noticed my panic attacks coming back mid day and was bumped up to 3x a day. Still taking them till this day . Personal experience, tricyclic antidepressants weren't good for me. Over the span of 20 years and multiple diagnoses I come to the realization that buspirone is enough on its own to live a functional life but with the addition of Xanax or Klonopin I sleep much longer than just the 5 hours as I do with buspar alone .”

Jay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 21, 2019

“Listen up fellas. I have GAD and panic attacks. My Dr gave me Lexapro and I was on it for 5 days. NEVER AGAIN! Although Lexapro really helps relieve symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks, your sex drive tanks and you can't have a orgasm. So I had to choose between side effects and keeping my sanity. I chose keeping my sanity obviously. I'll talk to my doctor and some friends and they were all recommending buspirone I started 5mg 3x day. I noticed it also helped with general anxiety symptoms along with helping me get more sleep during the night and my sex drive not only came back but it was better than it was before and I have nothing but good things to say about buspar on because it helps with my anxiety and my sex life is amazing powerful. Whoever invented the stuff deserves to be a billionaire.”

NOMOREMIRT · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2018

“I had a horrible experience when I tried to get off of mirtazapine. After a really bad withdrawal I had to get back on it but still had bad anxiety and much difficulty with sexual dysfunction. After finding out about this drug on the internet I got my doctor to give me a prescription of 20 mg, 10 in morning and 10 in afternoon. For the first month it didn't do much, but my anxiety was a little better. By the second month it was helping quite a bit with the anxiety but not so much for sex. Then when I realized how short the half life was I started taking it about an hour before sex and WOW! I now take 20mg about an hour before and have been having incredible orgasms. I also take one velvet bean capsule just before. I am so thankful that this medication has helped with anxiety and given me back my sex life!”

INFJLuke · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2018

“I took Buspar several years ago to help with severe anxiety I had. I can’t recall how helpful it was overall, but it did make me feel calmer for a reasonable amount of time after taking each pill (approx. an hour or two). It mostly made me drowsy and increased my libido. Fast forward today, I’ve finally found the SSRI that works better than any medicine I’ve ever taken for depression, Prozac. After some internet research, I’ve learned that Buspar can help with sexual side effects caused by SSRIs. I’m hoping it’ll help restore some of my sexual desire and sensitivity. From my past experience with it, I assume it should help. I’ll see.”

rjasonm · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 27, 2017

“I have severe OCD. I wasn't diagnosed until I was about 19 or 20 at which point they immediately started shoving antidepressants down my throat. They caused immediate ED so I quit taking them. Well, for the most part, it's never come back. Pills don't work, pumps don't work, I've gone to therapy and everything else under the sun to try and fix the problem with no luck. I take doctor monitored testosterone injections so my levels are good yet not only do I still have ED, but no sex drive, and now I can't even feel it when I have an orgasm anymore. I took Buspirone hoping to help this and the results were an epic failure. A complete waste of money. I'm 45 and have basically given up on love and happiness.”

PersonPersonPerson82 July 8, 2017

“Wow. This drug really restored my ability to have an orgasm. I have been complaining about Lexapro destroying my sex drive to my doctor since I started Lexapro. It was getting to the point where I had to choose between a sex life and my sanity. Unfortunately, my doctor didn't do anything about it. I was the one who had to ask if I could take Buspar, after internet research. Lexapro reduced my social and generalised anxiety by, I would say, 80%. Buspar restored my ability to have an orgasm, and also seems to be reducing my anxiety even further. I know everyone reacts differently to these medications differently, but if you are having these issues, I would give this a try.”

R.W.J. · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2017

“I have OCD-induced anxiety and depression, for which I was taking the SSRI Luvox. Luvox caused me sexual dysfunction (difficulty reaching orgasm and delayed ejaculation), so my psychiatrist prescribed 5mg of buspirone to take 3 times a day. This medication works well to boost desire and makes the orgasms feel good. I have since stopped taking Luvox, and now rely solely on buspirone for my anxiety. This medication generally boosts my mood. That said, I am surprised by the number of people who are prescribed this medication "as needed." This is not a benzodiazepine, and in order to feel the anxiolytic effects, it is necessary to take buspirone 2-3 times a day for at least two weeks.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2016

“I take Viibryd which is designed to reduce side affects. I started taking it so I could have a sex life again. Prozac removed all sexual desire but since the half life is shorteron Viibryd you Can get turned on once it tapers off, still it was difficult to get in the mood do I've avoided dating altogether. I started taking Buspirone 3 days ago for my anxiety and It has stopped the libido problem altogether! I had no idea this helped,! Great news, not to mention it has kept me calm.”

Jack mehoff November 23, 2016

“Trying to get off this drug caused brain zaps, extreme dizziness, diminished libido, and panic which caused me to get back on the original dose. I still don't fully understand what it does.”

comet8 July 27, 2015

“I experienced difficulty in obtaining orgasm while taking 5mg of Lexapro. Buspirone did the trick. When I upped my dose of Lexapro to 7.5mg, I began experiencing trouble reaching orgasm once more. I've let my doctor know and we're working on a solution. Most likely I'll up my dose of Buspirone from 10mg daily to 20mg.”

MrYoungProfessional June 30, 2015

“Started taking Buspirone for anxiety, I am on Effexor XR. The Effexor made achieving an orgasm impossible. It was horrible. However, I couldn't stop because it was helping with my depression. Buspirone has given me back my sex life. My libido still isn't what it used to be. It is still somewhat difficult for me to remain erect for long periods of time. However, I can have an orgasm. Thank the gods.”

Rina123 July 1, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone): “I've been taking 15mg of BuSpar for 1 month now. It started working around week 3. I can gratetfully say that it is working for the sexual side effects. This medication is a life saver!”

Anonymous April 25, 2011

“I had been on Escitalopram for the last 5 years due to anxiety and occasional panic attacks. But like other SSRI's it had negative impact on sexual function and weight gain. I tapered of my escitalopram slowly and started taking buspirone in low doses. It helped me great both on Sexual Function and anxiety. It gave me confidence and relief.”

Anonymous November 27, 2010

BuSpar (buspirone): “I found that Buspar helped quite a bit in allowing me to orgasm. It was also quite useful in partially abating teeth grinding, which I get in relation to SSRIs.”

markrichards August 13, 2010

“Used this medication to reverse the sexual side effects of MANY different SSRI's including: Paxil, Lexapro and Prozac. Worked great! I highly recommend this drug to anyone looking for a light anxiety medicine that works against sexual side effects. ”

talvarez April 19, 2010

BuSpar (buspirone): “I have taken many antidepressants and a lot of them took away my desire for sex. I did not know that this medicine could help. I did not get this medicine for this reason. I also take Lexapro for bipolar and depression...so I think it could be worth a try to see if this medicine helps. I took clonazepam for years and my doctor wanted to try something new with this medicine..”

Learn more about Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced