User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Buspirone Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced

"I have severe OCD. I wasn't diagnosed until I was about 19 or 20 at which point they immediately started shoving antidepressants down my throat. They caused immediate ED so I quit taking them. Well, for the most part, it's never come back. Pills don't work, pumps don't work, I've gone to therapy and everything else under the sun to try and fix the problem with no luck. I take doctor monitored testosterone injections so my levels are good yet not only do I still have ED, but no sex drive, and now I can't even feel it when I have an orgasm anymore. I took Buspirone hoping to help this and the results were an epic failure. A complete waste of money. I'm 45 and have basically given up on love and happiness."

rjasonm (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2017

"Wow. This drug really restored my ability to have an orgasm. I have been complaining about Lexapro destroying my sex drive to my doctor since I started Lexapro. It was getting to the point where I had to choose between a sex life and my sanity. Unfortunately, my doctor didn't do anything about it. I was the one who had to ask if I could take Buspar, after internet research. Lexapro reduced my social and generalised anxiety by, I would say, 80%. Buspar restored my ability to have an orgasm, and also seems to be reducing my anxiety even further. I know everyone reacts differently to these medications differently, but if you are having these issues, I would give this a try."

PersonPersonPerson82 July 8, 2017

"I have OCD-induced anxiety and depression, for which I was taking the SSRI Luvox. Luvox caused me sexual dysfunction (difficulty reaching orgasm and delayed ejaculation), so my psychiatrist prescribed 5mg of buspirone to take 3 times a day. This medication works well to boost desire and makes the orgasms feel good. I have since stopped taking Luvox, and now rely solely on buspirone for my anxiety. This medication generally boosts my mood. That said, I am surprised by the number of people who are prescribed this medication "as needed." This is not a benzodiazepine, and in order to feel the anxiolytic effects, it is necessary to take buspirone 2-3 times a day for at least two weeks."

R.W.J. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

"I take Viibryd which is designed to reduce side affects. I started taking it so I could have a sex life again. Prozac removed all sexual desire but since the half life is shorteron Viibryd you Can get turned on once it tapers off, still it was difficult to get in the mood do I've avoided dating altogether. I started taking Buspirone 3 days ago for my anxiety and It has stopped the libido problem altogether! I had no idea this helped,! Great news, not to mention it has kept me calm."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2016

"Trying to get off this drug caused brain zaps, extreme dizziness, diminished libido, and panic which caused me to get back on the original dose. I still don't fully understand what it does."

Jack mehoff November 23, 2016

"I experienced difficulty in obtaining orgasm while taking 5mg of Lexapro. Buspirone did the trick. When I upped my dose of Lexapro to 7.5mg, I began experiencing trouble reaching orgasm once more. I've let my doctor know and we're working on a solution. Most likely I'll up my dose of Buspirone from 10mg daily to 20mg."

comet8 July 27, 2015

"Started taking Buspirone for anxiety, I am on Effexor XR. The Effexor made achieving an orgasm impossible. It was horrible. However, I couldn't stop because it was helping with my depression. Buspirone has given me back my sex life. My libido still isn't what it used to be. It is still somewhat difficult for me to remain erect for long periods of time. However, I can have an orgasm. Thank the gods."

MrYoungProfessional June 30, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've been taking 15mg of BuSpar for 1 month now. It started working around week 3. I can gratetfully say that it is working for the sexual side effects. This medication is a life saver!"

Rina123 July 1, 2014

"I had been on Escitalopram for the last 5 years due to anxiety and occasional panic attacks. But like other SSRI's it had negative impact on sexual function and weight gain. I tapered of my escitalopram slowly and started taking buspirone in low doses. It helped me great both on Sexual Function and anxiety. It gave me confidence and relief."

Anonymous April 25, 2011

BuSpar (buspirone): "I found that Buspar helped quite a bit in allowing me to orgasm. It was also quite useful in partially abating teeth grinding, which I get in relation to SSRIs."

Anonymous November 27, 2010

"Used this medication to reverse the sexual side effects of MANY different SSRI's including: Paxil, Lexapro and Prozac. Worked great! I highly recommend this drug to anyone looking for a light anxiety medicine that works against sexual side effects. "

markrichards August 13, 2010

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have taken many antidepressants and a lot of them took away my desire for sex. I did not know that this medicine could help. I did not get this medicine for this reason. I also take Lexapro for bipolar and depression...so I think it could be worth a try to see if this medicine helps. I took clonazepam for years and my doctor wanted to try something new with this medicine.."

talvarez April 19, 2010