User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Trichotillomania 1 reviews 3 medications

Postmenopausal Symptoms 5 reviews 151 medications

5.5
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 878 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "A year ago I was put on Paxil for PTSD, depression, anxiety. All I can say is do your research because this is a mind altering drug. It can put you in a childhood state ,time loss, carefree and not in a good way. DONT TOUCH THIS STUFF. If you do be careful of the major things doctors don't tell you."

Horrible drug September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "I was having horrific power surges (hot flashes). I would have at least 3 or more per hour and they were major. I hated stopping to talk to people at work or because I'd break out in dripping sweat, it was humiliating. I was waking up 5+ times a night with extreme sweating. I couldn't go into meetings or church or anywhere without a hand fan. I am two weeks into taking Paxil, and I might have 4 very minor power surges per day and last night was the first night in 3 years I slept through without having one single episode. I highly recommend Paxil."

Edizzle (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "This drug has been a lifesaver for me., I has a hysterectomy and 2 years later full blown menopause .... hot flashes - night sweats. I really hated going anywhere when I would run into someone I knew at the grocery store I would get a hot flash and my face turns really red and they would say omg did I say something to make u mad lol and I would say no I'm just boiling from the inside out ugggg , but this med saved me down to maybe 2 a day "

Tradermexico (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I have a mixture of anxiety( severe) hypochondria, depression, and panic disorder. I started having episodes when I was 17 that completely bring my life into a tailspin. I'll lose weight, sleep all the time, worry obsessively, go to the doctor a hundred times, and withdrawal from life. It's torture; I feel like I'm in an alternate reality at times. The only drug that corrects me is Paxil. I get some blurred vision, vivid dreams, tremors, and swears, but it's worth it to feel normal. I feel the effects after the first dose."

emmanoramaura September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I started this medicine 09 DAYS ago. I had my first panic attack ever like a month ago. My anxiety started about 2 months ago after receiving a phone call with a bad news. I was so anxious that I stopped eating and sleeping. During those past two months I was feeling very anxious in the mornings and afternoons and some times back to my normal self at night. I developed a social phobia as well. Paxil has terrible side effects, nausea, insomnia, total loss of appetite ( didn't have much to start with) drowsiness, involuntary muscle movements...... etc. I thought about stopping it the third day because of insomnia. I made it to day 9 and my anxiety isn't realty better.doc said give it more time."

anxious2017 September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I was on this medication for years for OCD anxiety depression PTSD , then wanted to get pregnant and switched to Zoloft. The Z stopped working after a year and terrible panic attacks started happening again. Went back on P. Overall, I am happy to not be crying all the time and not snapping at my family. I have a much better time on P than on Z. My only problem is the weight gain that comes with it. It's very sad for me to gain 20 pounds. But still, it's better than being so scared all the time. Please, make sure you take as directed. It takes six weeks for medicine like this to work. You won't know after a day or two. Stay strong"

Mom2.3 September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Pros: felt great quickly, kept me fairly level for a few years before poopout. Cons: SEVERE withdrawal and ANGER and AGITATION. Upon reflection, the past 3 years on Paxil were also filled with inappropriate anger to the point of rage, uncontrollable outbursts that I've never experienced before. I isolated my loved ones, lost my partner and became a recluse as I feared my emotions. Didn't realize this until I reconnected with loved ones. Gained 40 lbs, despite a healthy diet and exercise. Joint pain, muscle loss. Yuck. Had to switch to Lexapro to come off this drug, and lead an antihistamine/anti inflammatory diet (huge contributors to mood disorders--eye opening discovery). It smoothed out the ride but I still suffered "Paxil Rage"."

MASFL77 September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I was put on this medication by my Neurologist. He said it would help pain and boost energy. Anyways I took it several years until my GP took me off cold turkey. I suffered the most agonizing withdrawal symptoms and shortly afterwards suffered a stroke. I blame this medication. Jump to Sept.1, 2017 Another Doctor wants me to start on this poison again. I don't think so. This is extremely dangerous!!"

Central Coast life September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I have been taking 10-mg of Paxil for over 20 years and began taking it after surgical menopause in my late 30's. Having dealt with depression/anxiety on and off since I was young, this really transformed my life. My career was very demanding and I was able to have a successful career until retirement a few years ago. I am a professional who worked under very strenuous circumstances and without this medication could probably not have done so. I did not gain weight but have been an exerciser most of my adult life which, incidentally, also helps a great deal with depression. Everyone is different and so is their reaction to medications. This is why it is so important to have a Dr. who continues to follow you."

Monasusie (taken for 10 years or more) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "I am using paroxetine for hot flashes. It definitely has helped. It also has helped with anxiety/panic attacks due to perimenopause. After taking this medicine for a year I can say it has really helped. I am very sensitive to medicine so I started at the lowest dose. It has been good for me."

Kel50 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "I was on Prempro for 30 years after menopause at 40. Dr said get off it so 4 years ago weaned off it and the hot flashes started and have continued for 4 years. Now my new doctor recommended Paxil 10 mg and it has really helped me. I never was depressed but anxious and it seemed to bring on the heat."

Little Billie (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Hi I really wanted to share my experience as I read so many reviews that made me scared to take this drug. I switched after citalopram stopped working for me. I am now 4 months in and on 50mg (started on 20 and increased slowly) I have had no side effects with this drug apart from a dry mouth for about 2 days. My anxiety improved within days, not an instant cure but I was coping better. I feel that I am nearly back to normal now after what a period of crippling anxiety. I still feel worried sometimes but can now rationalise thing and the intrusive thoughts are about gone (fingers crossed!) I wanted to leave a positive review the reviews I read terrified me."

Otis79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I started taking Paxil 20mg a few days ago. I just started a new semester at uni & got a new job & I don't handle stress well at all. I am petrified of social situations and I'm always 'nervy' & everything bothers me...literally everything! Very easily annoyed & very easily stressed out, which is all part of anxiety. Anyways, this medicine has worked wonders for me so far. I can actually walk through the halls at uni without feeling the terror. No panic attacks or flu-like symptoms afterwards anymore. So far, I've lost my appetite & have trouble sleeping, but nothing I can't handle. I wouldn't say I feel like a zombie, but I feel relaxed and slightly tired.I'm taking metabolism supporting vitamins hoping it prevents weight gain"

Livie August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: "I have been off and on this for over ten years. I will go years taking it and then go through the long weaning off period go about six months symptom free, then it starts all over after doing this 3 times I have resolved myself to my doctors advice to stay on it till I am done with menopause. No complaints though it has been a great keeps me at my normal self I just hate taking any Medication.So don't suffer really it is not something you can control.It is a true chemical imbalance and Paxil rebalances you. it does take a few weeks when you begin. I did have terrible dry mouth and zero appetite for a month but then everything adjusted and it has been a blessing. You are never alone reach out get help and GOD bless <3"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "I started it a week ago and it seems to have alleviated my hot flashes. Not totally gone but much less and much less severe. I am so happy to have it."

Dancing lady (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I am 34 years old. and originally started this for Depression & anxiety. Panic attacks I started this medication when I was 20 years old. Yes I have been on it that long!! This medication is severely addictive - it should be banned. I feel dt's so so hard 2 get off. I have tried so many times. I get brain zaps, sweats, panic attacks, hot flushes, dizziness, paranoia, tiredness, anger to be honest first couple years I felt was a miracle drug as I was confined to my bedroom at home. Once started taking this it did help me to move into my own place. Over years I have tried to get off it. And in that process I get so down it's that bad. I be so paranoid can't have kids around me. Thank god my Dr now helping me and I now take buspirone. And slowly coming of paroxetine. Feel have better support now."

Ben2010abc August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I am one of those people who was very against taking medication for my anxiety, until I realized I needed more than Talk Therapy. I tried Paxil and it has made a world of a difference. I no longer have daily panic attacks, or worry constantly. I'm able to make plans with my friends without the worry of having a meltdown in front of them. My biggest fear was getting on a plane again, and I did with no problem. Paxil has truly given me my life pack, and for that I am so thankful."

Anonymous August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "This is for everyone out there who was me almost 7 weeks ago, reading through all the terrifying experiences, going through something that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I started having panic attacks over a year ago, and thought it was just a phase, not realizing that I was heading towards a deep dark hole. 7 weeks ago I sinked into 24/7 panic mode, with all the terrible symptoms, stopped eating and sleeping, cried all the time, and was desperate. Paroxetine put me on the right track, and 7 weeks later, I am exercising daily, have loads of energy, am seeing a psychologist and have my life in order. Know this- the meds help, but it's all up to you. You have to add the rest. Don't stop after the first week. It does get better."

Panicked No More August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "This worked well for my depression and anxiety too, but I was pretty zoned out on it. I slept a lot and struggled with withdrawing from it. Brain zaps for about two weeks while I was trying to sleep. It wasn't fun."

Shatswan August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "I had wonderful results with hormone therapy but after 5 years my Doc told me to wean off. Did so in 3 weeks. Then 2 years of sleep loss due to constant hot flashes all night long. My new Doc suggested Brisdelle. My insurance covers beautifully so I only pay $3 monthly. But it didn't work. I was woozy during the day and slept heavily but with terrible dreams that woke me and then I had great difficulty going back to sleep. And still had hot flashes. After 2 1/2 months I said thanks but no thanks. No need for extra medication if it's not working. The dreams and their after effects are debilitating- re-living them through the day. So I'm weaning off and feeling extra woozy. First week every other day then every third day for another week."

GrownUpMom August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was prescribe this medication for anxiety, and it worked. I had panic attacks on the nyc subway before taking the medication but when I was on it really helped me to gain a normal life. I was on it for about 8 months then my doctor decided to take me off it cause my life became organized. That was the worst experience ever, coming off paxil was the hardest thing ever, and I recommend when you come off it to taper down very slowly because it just was absolutely hell. This drug does help but it's addictive and hard to come off. Also I gained about 30 pounds on it. I'd recommend the medication if you are having panic attacks, but for general anxiety disorders I would ask to try something else before paxil."

Beckham NYC August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have OCD. It was getting hard to function, so my doctor put me on Paxil. I haven't had any side effects, and my OCD is pretty much a memory. The only time I feel it is if I'm very stressed. Even then I don't act on it. Paxil is a lifesaver for me."

Freebells August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Hello! I want to tell others that being on Paxil 10 mg. for a few months now has helped me to center myself once again. My life is filled with other people's issues, depression, anger, and discord in their own lives that have depressed me. Situational depression is, in my life, a constant. I just do not have happy people around me and the doctor tells me they are making me "sick". My doctor saw me with high anxiety and worry that was causing me to retreat from daily life. His advice was to try Paxil to give me some relief! Now, how to get the others around me to get therapy and help..."

mareandbosco August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I was put on this about a year ago (20mg) and I thought it was helping pretty good for my anxiety but like 3 months into it I was noticing some weight gain. Then about 6 months the weight gain has gotten worse and I gained about a good 40 pounds and I felt as if I was never full anymore and I was constantly hungry even a few minutes after I would eat a full meal. I am weening off of it now and in the process of trying Lorazapam (ativan) so we'll see how that works. Other than that I would recommend at least try this since everyone might not experience weigh gain and excessive hunger like I did."

ItsAng August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I got on to this medicine during a rough time in my life. I thought it was working great until I realized they had me in the highest dose and were using it as a bandaid. I got curious about the drug itself and into further research I found that this drug is one of the WORST on the market. This drug will slowly kill you. This drug causes issues not only in your mind, but your body, if you're trying to conceive it affect that body, it is extremely addictive and causes more issue than the reason you were put on it. After my research I decided to come off of it. If I had more space to write how the detox of this pill was I would need a novel."

DO NOT take paxil (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2017