User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Trichotillomania 1 reviews 3 medications

Depression 154 reviews 79 medications

Postmenopausal Symptoms 1 reviews 202 medications

Summary of Paroxetine reviews 695 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Paroxetine

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "I have been on Brisdelle for 3 yrs now at first it was the wonder drug.. hot flashes gone and I didnt want to kill anybody...but now I think its not working as well... But I decided to look up the side effects recently , and found out I have alot of it. the blur vision(fog) frequent bowels, Headaches and joint pain... well my dr is taking me off of it ..."

so hot (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Was prescribed this at around 16-17 yrs old, for social and generalized anxiety. It did work well, but the excessive sweating and my father's anti-med nagging made me try and quit. I had only been taking it for like 5 months and I felt like I'd been addicted for years. Brain zaps, constant lethargy, extreme and unwarranted moods; these symptoms lasted an entire month, despite my short usage time. I'm upset that this was the first thing they tried, on a 17 yr old complaining about social anxiety and the occasional panic attack... That month was the worst I've ever felt, if I wasn't a teen without responsibilities or took it for longer, I don't think I could've ever gotten off of it. Read withdrawal stories before starting Paxil."

Jo79341 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "Taking 10 mg* Paroxetine for hot flashes and night sweats. The first day I took it I saw results that night. The only side effect that I've noticed is occassional nausea."

Stephanie G. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I was prescribed Paxil for situational depression that was pretty severe, merging on PTSD. (I went through a really bad relationship breakup that was traumatic) I also had GAD (general anxiety). I took Paxil for about 8 weeks. It started working right away and I felt so much better I'd say within a day or two. I slept better and woke in the morning without massive anxiety and intrusive thoughts and my depression began to lift. BUT I gained a whopping 20 pounds in the 8 weeks I was on Paxil. It was so awful that I had the doctor wean me off of it . I thought once it was out of my system that the weight would slowly come off but it didn't - I gained another 10 lbs. I think Paxil messes with your metabolism. Will NEVER take it again."

46yrold August 18, 2016

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I have started taking Paxil CR 12.5 mg six months ago, for my stuttering and fear of talking. In the beginning I felt slightly down and kind of panicky, but after 1 week those bad feelings went away completely. It has helped me a lot. I can say that my stuttering has improved. I am 80% fluent most of the time and even if I stutter I don't care that much anymore. I also feel closer to people and more confident in general. I feel happier also, and lost 4 kg due to the appetite loss and feeling full earlier. Sex drive has decreased a bit, but it does not interfere in my relationship. Somedays I get bursts of anger over small things. It has also cured my insomnia. Sometimes I feel dizzy but it is not bad and goes away fast."

Drexil August 14, 2016

For Depression: "The drug removed some of the empty 'raw' feeling lonely feeling about life, as well as intrusive wincing thoughts. I find it pretty sedating, can sleep through the weekend if not carefull. Creates a kind of careless numb feeling toward everything, but that can be better than the alternative. For the first few weeks I remember it can increase anxiety a little, have heard many people quit cause of this, and sleeplessness at start. I wonder how bad they really were to start, I kept going because I couldnt go back, reminding myself how it was before starting. Five years seem to drift by, yes it makes life easier, but probabally removes some of the motivation to change, complacency sets in."

hhjjjiijknkk89 August 13, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I am 21 years old and I have had sever anxiety and OCD for 5 years. I almost didn't graduate high school and almost lost my job because I couldn't even get out of bed or leave the comfort of my own home so I resorted to medicine. I was also dealing with a slight depression at the time and so my doctor recommended Paxil to me and for 2 years I have been on the 10mlg dose and it works wonders! The only negative thing that I have to say about it is that I don't feel like I have a lot of energy and it made me gain 50lbs..I attempted to get off and with counseling deal with my anxiety on my own and went through extreme withdraws, (brain spasms!!, mood swings, depression.) I love this stuff it changed my life but it sucks coming off of it."

Natalie103 August 10, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I personally WILL NEVER recommend Paxil to ANYONE. It literally ruined my life. At first, I felt that it was ok. But, quickly and suddenly, I started gaining weight. ALOT of weight. Literally, my pants fit one week and did not fix the next week. And that wasn't all. I was feeling much worse. I was very manic. So depressed that I could not get out of bed. My life was work, eat, and sleep. I had no motivation and I started fixating on thoughts of suicide. It wasn't until the unexplained rapid weight gain that I started to ask myself what had changed in my routine. That's when I realized that Paxil was the newest addition to my life and I began doing research. I've been off of it for about 2 months and I still can't lose the weight."

Jenna6281 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

For Depression: "In comparison to cipralex, which I was on for about 6 months, paroxetine is extremely effective for me. Cipralex put me to sleep, however, I have no adverse effects on paroxetine and feel so much better on the drug. I would say the drug brings me to a state of balance. Not happy, but not sad either and I can live with that. My only concern is that I have gained about 15 pounds in 5 months due to the fact that I eat far more calories than I burn off. I hate the weight gain and my body feels foreign to me with the extra weight, but even so, my mood is so much better I'll take it."

Mindy89 August 9, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have always been an anxious person. I'm a musician who performs a lot and have been taking Xanax for performing anxiety. About a month ago I went home to visit my family and started having really bad anxiety attacks that would happen every day. My heart would start racing, palpitations, hyperventilation and numbness in my arms. Every single time I thought that it was the end of my life and I was waiting for my heart to stop. I went and got blood tests and all was fine. Saw a cardiologist and my heart is ok.( I have bradycardia with rbm under 50). I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed seroxat(peroxetine) 10 mg before bed. It has been 2 weeks and I'm starting to feel better. Haven't had another panic attack. no side effects either."

Dienush August 7, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "It makes me tired"

source (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Everyone's experience WILL be different. I have experienced anxiety all my life, but no depression. A medium to low dose of Paxil has normalized me. My previous extreme fear of nautiousness and throwing up has been quelled. Ativan and Xanax are fine as a temp solution (say for flying), but Pax has provided me with a normal level of anxiety. I give Paxil 5 stars, but only if you feel anxiety along with some OCD. Depression, bipolar, might require something else."

Tim Pittsburgh August 5, 2016

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Depression: "Pacil 30mg is great. I can say finally after 4 months the depression veil has lifted. This drug works great but very slowly. Give it time. It works!!"

Fittykitty August 4, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I tried them for 4 months!! It was the worst experience i ever had!! I got brain zaps and could not sleep at all. I have mild severe frontal brain damage from a fall. Coming off them is worse than any benzo I have tried!! In fact there just as bad if not worse than a benzo. atleast the benzo drugs work for anxieties!!!! . If you read about antidepressants like i did on google. You will see that they are nothing more than a addicting placebo . Don't let anyone get you on those medications. Just google the fact that the drug companies are handing them out like candy and they do more harm than good. If you like sex than don't get involved with antidepressants!! Because you will not have any sexual wants whatsoever. I wish they did work!!"

brain injured August 4, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I took Paxil for 5 years. I have been off Paxil now for 7 years, and ...I suffer from OCD and panic attacks. I am 49 years old and have suffered since childhood with my "issues". I won't go into great detail.I do not take medicine, but I was in VERY bad shape when I started on Paxil. Within a few days, I slept, stopped washing my feet, counting things, and those obsessive thoughts were gone.THANK GOD. I did gain weight, and my family described me as being an emtional zombie. I chose to discontinue taking Paxil on my own, which was a bad idea. NEVER. I say NEVER do that. I am lucky that I am still alive. If you choose to quit taking it please do that only under the care of your physician. Today I am not cured, but I am happy and living norm"

lauriehappy5 August 3, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I feel like my old self. I have more energy and confidence. I have new hobbies. I am less stressed and more focused. It has changed my life."

80's art girl July 31, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I am a 31 year old female. Paroxatine definitely helped my mood but it made me lethargic and I gained about a kilo a month for the five months I was on it. I was unhappy about the weight gain so I tapered off very slowly and didn't have any serious side effects besides being a bit emotional for a week. Losing the weight seems to be harder than it was before I took the medication. It didn't help my mood anymore than sertraline or Effexor did and the side effects of those were far more tolerable than so much weight gain."

Lanna315 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "Well this is a veeeery strong drug and an effective one but has a lot of side effects and the withdrawal is an absolute nightmare. I started taking paroxetine because of depression, social anxiety and suicidal thoughts. The drug has helped me to overcome the crippling anxiety but it also made me emotionaly numb. This numbness is a common side effect for SSRI but in my case it caused an aggravation of depression. While taking paxil I felt like nothing made sense anymore. It was a horrible experience but then again it allowed me to see things more objectively without the overpowering emotional ballast I had before. I stopped taking paroxetine and now I feel like I was on a long vacation from my self and my mind."

xaman July 19, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: "A GYN prescribed Brisdelle - it's a low-dose Paxil (7.5 mg) for hot flashes. This Doctor stated that unlike other SSRI's, I would NOT have complications or side effects going on/off them - in the case of running out of supply. This was NOT my experience. After 3-4 days of stopping, I noted an odd sensation connected to my eyes. I told my opthamologist about a "swishing" sound I heard with any movement of my eyes. I finally found others reporting this all over the internet. This also happened in a previous year with Sertraline (Zoloft) - this 'after quitting' side effect lasted a very long time - maybe a year or more! THE DUMBEST, MOST WASTEFUL PACKAGING ON THE PLANET. WHY NOT SIMPLY MAKE 7.5 PAXIL IN A SIMPLE BOTTLE? Pink? Come on!"

CrazyRX's (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I started Paxil to control anxiety. The first brand was Auribindo. It worked about one month. I was using less Klonopin. Then out of the blue I had a Panic attack that put me in the hospital overnight. Then I switched generic brands to Zydus. On my first dose I thought I would die. It felt like I had overdosed. It happened within 10 minutes of taking that brand. It was only 15mg. I have now received the Dylan brand and will take it in the morning. I say this for people who think the Paxil may not work. You need to do a trial run on these no good generics. I felt like I was dying plus so nauseated on the Zydus brand. Hopefully the Nylon will work. I am running out of brands to try."

Paul user (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I strongly recommend Paxil 20 mg for depression this drug has uplifted my mood, and truly suppressed my appetite I have been on it for two weeks and loss four pounds already. The one side effect that I have experience is excessive yarning. Once the dose was adjusted the symptoms has stop."

Foune July 14, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "My husband had prostate cancer and had to have it removed. It was done in a new method where they did not have to cut nerves or uretha. No chemo or bags for urine, he still enjoyed sex although it was trying even with the blue pill. A year later he started having some panic attacks and would start crying over small things. He has always been A very outgoing person and vert talkative and joked with everyone. He retired very abruptly in a year. I kept working for another 5 yrs. I was noticing a change but I let it go. If he wanted something he bought it. If he wanted to do something he did it. If he didn't want to do something, he didnt. He wanted a 40,ooo pickup.he bought it. He's always loved to play poker. I hate this man now."

Kathy chandler July 9, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "February 2015 I had an overdose due to depression. I still haven't admitted I was depressed but the anxiety is real. I couldn't go to class when I did go to school. My stomach would go crazy and my mind wouldn't stop racing. I was then put on Paxil. I have been on it for a year and a half now and I'm trying to get off it. not that it isn't working for my anxiety but my emotions are uncontrollable when I try to get off it and when I am on it I feel like I'm just going. I find myself looking back on a week and not remembering a time I took to just chill and think. because Paxil thinks for me. I don't like that so I am trying to get off it."

Keyia 17 years old (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: "Ive been on this medication for a year now about a month after having a full hysterectomy. Worked the first night I took it. No hot flashes, no mood swings. I feel great and sleep well. I do experience nausea once in a awhile in the morning but that fades fast with a drink of water or cup of coffee. It's very pricey even with a coupon as I pay out of pocket, but it's worth every dime."

Kim in Texas July 6, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I went on this medication due to me having severe anxiety and mild OCD to the point where it affected me in almost every aspect, I've only been on it for almost a month and so far the results have been amazing, the only side effect that I've really noticed is the fact that I get sleepy so I take it before bed. Other than that I'm more happy, more calm, my OCD isn't as bad anymore"

Bellacarly (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016