User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Trichotillomania 1 reviews 3 medications

6.9
Postmenopausal Symptoms 2 reviews 202 medications

Summary of Paroxetine reviews 802 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "The good: - Improved motivation - More stable moods, fewer deep lows - Improved self-confidence - Decreased anxiety The bad: - (during the first few weeks) Insomnia - (during the first few weeks) Drowsiness - (transient) Vivid bad dreams - Difficulty reaching orgasm - Forgetfulness - Emotional blunting"

Saraaaannnnna April 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "After living most of my life with undiagnosed anxiety and thinking I was normal it wasn't till life got serious that panic attacks and severe anxiety took its toll. After seeing many doctors etc one finally prescribed paroxetine and now life has never been as good. It took 2 weeks to build up in my system and it was like taking a fire extinguisher to the constant adrenaline hits to my stomach. Definitely worth at try."

Markschitty April 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I've been taking paxil and Trazadone and its been helping me to get through each day. My anxiety is down and I sleep well."

Lilyrose223 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I am a 47 year old male, and have been using Paroxetine for 3 months, having been prescribed it for severe clinical depression. It is the first time in my life that I have suffered from Mental Illness. In the 6 months prior to properly seeking help I had spiralled to the point where I could not sleep, had anxiety levels through the roof, did not want to speak to anybody, hated everything about life, and fantasized daily of suicide. I started 20mg Paroxetine daily while spending 5 weeks in a Recovery clinic in Jan/Feb. This medication has literally given me a second chance at life. It did take a couple of weeks to kick in, but now my mood is buoyant, and my anxiety is non-existent. Still not sure how it has done it. For me, a miracle pill!"

VeryGrateful April 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "Been on Paxil for about 3 month starting my fouth it's been helping me a lot with my panic disorders & social experiences. My mg for Paxil is low 20mg. However, whoever is starting this medication don't get discourage it will take ( 1 month) time for Paxil to kick in but it will be worth it. A big con is; that ejaculation time got delayed."

PERSON2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I rate Paxil as a 10. It worked almost immediately with me to relieve my symptoms and the only side effect is that it makes me sleepy/tired, which isn't a problem to me as I am retired (my doctor suggested that I can change the time that I take it, from morning to evening and I am considering doing that, especially if I decide to go back to work again)."

Minnesota Skinny (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I was put onto horrid paxil in 1996. Turned into zombie gained 60 lbs in 4 months. Went off cold turkey, doctor said no problem won't make weight gain and not addictive. She believed the sales rep. Now 2017. Weight still high can't shed weight unless total fast that kicks in serious medical issues Plus....diabetes. yep paxil can give you that deadly expensive disease. DONT take this drug, they test on patients' withdrawal now they call it something else. Good luck. But run away from this dangerous drug. You will gain fat you can't lose and end up losing a foot and your vision to this drug. Depressed now? Try it from a wheel chair and being blind from paxil caused diabetes."

senn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Been using Paxil for about 20 years, 15 mg daily. I suffered from lifelong depression and anxiety and can attest that Paxil probably saved my life as I contemplated suicide seriously on multiple occasions before taking the drug. It's good about 100% for depression, maybe 75% effective against Anxiety. If I miss it for 2-3 days I start feeling down in the dumps again. The side effects that some posters noted above are usually only temporary. Over time they all disappear-I had several of them in the beginning as well-not a big deal. Love this drug."

Paul Morphy April 8, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I was skeptical at first but just after the first week I feel a huge difference. I have slight nausea, dry mouth and yawning but they are getting better. The world is a much better place now."

Copper69 (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have been taking 20mg for the last couple of months. It has really helped me in so many ways and I wish I started taking it a long time ago.From almost ending my life to feeling in love with life in just a month. I'm more confident, chatty and I'm doing all the things I wanted to do but was to afraid of doing. The only bad side effect that has stuck is feeling extremely tired early in the evenings and I usually fall asleep watching tv on the couch at about 9pm. I love this drug I truly believe it has saved my life."

Norm82 April 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hot Flashes: "I'm amazed that within 2 weeks of taking this medication, and I only took 5mg, my hot flashes symptoms completely subsided. Then I was inconsistent with taking it because I kept forgetting due to caring for my mother. I noticed the darn hot flashes returned, but not as bad. I started taking it consistently again every night, and the hot flashes are completely gone. I feel normal now! Thank God!!"

SheCa April 2, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Tried 4 SSRI's and paxil was the worst, was on it for 7 months at 40mg for depression, social anxiety and OCD and no improvement at all. It was VERY sedating and made it very difficult to orgasm, which was frustrating. I am now on Lexapro which is working great with half the side effects of paxil. I suggest looking at other SSRI's before considering paxil."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I used to be on 20mg Aropax for 7 years for my Borderline personality Disorder, Social Anxiety, Anxiety and Depression. I use to self harm and not be happy. I was always hospitalised and going down a destructive road. Other medicines made me worse like cipramil, Zoloft and Valium. Aropax did not make me 100% cured but help me deal with everyday issues better I still find that you need to practise mindfulness techniques and practice Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. This drug is only if you have severe depression and anxiety and find it difficult to use standard coping skills. I was off Aropax for 3 years and coping well now I have had a relapse and anxiety worse than ever. I am now back on it for 3 days hopefully it will work soon."

FR34KE March 28, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Worked excellently for me the only drawback was weight gain was hard to get off"

Natrina March 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I took 40mg paxil one a day for over a year and Never felt right. At first is was bad. I was getting really bad vertigo and nausea. Every night I would have 1 of 3 reoccuring nightmares and night sweats. I just ran out and can't get more, so I'm day 3 cold turkey and feel MISERABLE. Before you take this medicine YOU REALLY NEED TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT OTHER OPIONS. Ps. sorry for bad spelling"

Nick96753 March 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hot Flashes: "this hasn't help me at all"

ladyluck89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I take Paroxetine (Paxil) 10mg/day. I have Anxiety, OCD & I suffer from daily migraines. Paroxetine has cured me of migraines. When I started the medication I noticed after only the 2nd day I wasn't getting headaches. I have also noticed an increase in my general well-being, feeling allot happier and more confidant, It has helped tremendously with my OCD & I have less anxiety although it is still there, It's not as severe & I have not had any panic attacks. I also haven't noticed any side effects which is rare for an SSRI drug. I'm still early on the medication (only 1 month) so although migraines and OCD has improved, I think I'll see an even better improvement on anxiety as well over time."

101forumsguy (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: "Stopped periods 10 years ago. Then suffered hot flashes, severe, in first five years after. In last five years hot flashes really diminished but triggered by anxiety, certain foods, and occasional night sweats. But could be counted on to have at least one episode of night sweats per evening (down from as many as 7 to 10 a day - and leaving me drenched, my clothes soaked!). My GYN recommended Brisdelle two months ago. Am hypersensitive to all meds so was skeptical, in addition to being an RN. Don't like to take drugs of any kind. However, I was desperate. The Brisdelle worked immediately and I haven't had one episode of hot flashes since. Just dry mouth now. Very bad dry mouth!"

Mary Matilda March 12, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "Bad thoughts. Worsening depression gained 35 lbs in 6 months. Liver enzymes slightly off. I feel like a cow. I stopped taking it and am taking lexapro but still gaining weight. I have always been thin."

Mmarti March 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "My doctor weaned me off of Paxil a few weeks ago as it wasn't working. Three days after the last dose was the start of the two worst weeks of my life. It included migraines, nausea, decreased vision, when I turned my head or moved my eyes there was a whooshing sound in my head accompanied by extreme dizziness. Then there were the bouts of crying for no apparent reason. In summary I would call this poison not medicine."

Huro1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "Saved my life, miracle drug"

EmuSteel090126 March 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been taking Paroxetine for about 2 years, in the beginning it helped me a lot! After all this years with anxiety I finally felt relaxed, my sleeping improved and I got more secure in relationships. Downsides I've experienced is drowsiness and difficulty orgasm. I started out on 20mg then increased to 30, and then up to 40mg two years after the start because the anxiety came back. Now 6 month later I want to increase the dosage again and I'm a tarting to questioning whether I should have this medicin or change. In summary, Paroxetine helped me a lot when I was really bad (stress and anxiety) Now when I'm working full time I feel that it makes me tired but I still have anxiety and I'm about to reach the maximum dosage."

Ströboll (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I was very hesitant to take medication as I had been raised to associate it with seriously mentally ill people in a negative way. Social anxiety had extreme physiological effects on me, though, that therapy could not fix, i.e. the inability to speak loudly over loud noises or when out somewhere like a club, and premature ejaculation. Paxil basically fixed this immediately. Paxil makes it so much easier to silence negative thoughts automatically. I was and am on a very low dose (10mg) and it works so well. It really did change my life. The only negative side effects are that it makes me sleepy. It also gave me a weird sensation in my teeth for the first month or so, but I actually enjoyed that feeling."

JG696 March 5, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "Was on Paxil for 4 years because I could never handle the withdrawal symptoms. I had severe aches and electric shocks along with all flu symptoms. I finally slowly tapered off over 3 months with the liquid Paxil. I have been off of it now for at least 10 years. I have tried at least 100 different supplements and anti anxiety treatments.....I have tried them all...believe me.....it is hell on earth when you can't provide for your family. I even spent $4000 having all my mercury fillings removed. I had genetic testing of SNP polymorphism's that revealed MTHFR and MAO mutations. I found a genetic reason for my anxiety. In short I can't make neurotransmitters and when I do I can't break them down so they build up causing social anxiety."

Jubaea March 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Recently diagnosed with Polycythemia Vera (a blood cancer), one of the side effects was severe itching for about half an hour after contact with water (morning shower). Started taking a low dose of Peroxetine and the itching reduced considerably after about a week of use. I have now used the medication for a few months and have noticed the additional side effect of having difficulty "completing" when having sex."

Upstate Doug February 27, 2017