User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paroxetine.

Trichotillomania

Postpartum Depression
6.6

Summary of Paroxetine reviews 7.6 925 reviews

Reviews for Paroxetine

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "12.5 mg for 2 months and it really makes a difference. I was tired at first but seems I've settled in just fine."

Cassie870 February 20, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "It started working immediately. I wish I would have discovered this medication years ago! I have been suffering from social anxiety and it would have saved me so much grief in so many situations , one is- dropping out of my doctoral program and other programs and unnecessary conflicts I have had with people. I have been now been happy, friendly, and outgoing with people. I have not been like this in 2 decades. It has saved my social life! Now, I know how it feels to be relaxed, confident, and in control of my emotions at all times. More so, to enjoy life and have conversations with strangers (something I dreaded before). As a highly skeptical individual who has always minimized or discarded medical intervention, I suggest to all prospective users out there to try it!! I tried Citalopram, but this one is the best for me. I am no longer tired of embarrassing myself in public when speaking to people."

Micky009 February 13, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I have been on Paxil for a little over a month now. Taking 20mg for Social Anxiety. It has helped me tremendously. From feeling more positive to my thoughts being less overwhelming and much more easy to ignore. Especially in times in the winter (when my anxiety is much worse) it has helped to take the edge off. I feel like I am starting to be myself like I was before the SA took over. Would def recommend."

TJ Lin Lin February 13, 2018

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I experienced whole body seizures and upper back spasms with this medication."

xgr February 10, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "I have been on 10 mg of the generic of Paxil for post menopausal symptoms for 2 months and I have noticed significant improvement in my conditions. My sex drive as of today, is not effected, however it takes more time to reach orgasm. I've stopped stressing out severely and only have controlled concern over what I would have considered upsetting matters. My anxiety/panic attacks used to last for days and I felt as if I lost myself....Those horrible feelings are now gone. My hot flashes have lessened and I sleep much better. My personality has not changed in a negative way, in fact, I am more pleasant to be around. I used to yell at my kids and husband every weekend, so I'm thinking I should have started taking this medicine a long time ago"

JuliannaO (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Bad headache, I drove a truck and Daydreams and racing thought were making me miss my turns ,or go past my stops. I also stopped taking it because of the headaches"

asdfzxc (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "Was prescribed Paxil for postmenopausal hot flashes and anxiety. Though it did not completely stop all my hot flashes, it greatly reduced them, making my life bearable. I also have had a lot of anxiety/ social and generalized. Being on this drug, I notice that I have much less anxiety. Overall, I have felt much better on Paxil and have had no troublesome side effects, knock wood."

Jgfb February 3, 2018

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "It has truly helped regulate my mood"

Kemz (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Paxil has been very effective for my anxiety. Within a couple months of starting I was able to get a job, something I couldn't do before. I found myself feeling more confident and caring less about things that used to worry me. However, Paxil unfortunately hasn't helped with my depression. And while the side effects I have experienced (sexual dysfunction, vivid dreams, drowsiness) are pretty minor, the withdrawals are insane. My insurance screwed up and I missed my meds for a couple of days and it was a nightmare. I was angry, anxious, suicidal. I had constant brain zaps and could hardly sleep. So be careful with this one. Don't miss any doses and try to take it at the same time every day. And if you want to quit, TAKE IT SLOW."

Sarammmmtia January 26, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I've been on Paxil for about three months now, and it's been a welcome change from Effexor. I'm finding myself calmer, less aggressive, still have my bad days but they're not as bad. Family and co-workers have seen a noticeable difference for the better. Effexor numbed me out, I wasn't depressed but I wasn't happy either and after awhile it just became less effective. So far with Paxil, I'm noticing better moods, actually smiling and laughing more so I hope it continues. Only downside I've noticed so far is some drowsiness, but it's manageable."

AmberDawnWpg January 25, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I have to agree with what Monasusie wrote on this subject (1st of September, 2017). I think this is a helpful drug - it helped me reduce my anxiety in different social situations at work, and prevented me of finding other not so constructive and not so healthy solutions to reduce my fear. It gives me energy and courage. So Paroxetine (or Paxil like you call it in the Anglo-Saxon world) may have a bad name in the press, but it treated me good. Friendly greetings from Western Europe, Alphons"

Fons1971 January 22, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "When I first started taking this I almost stopped because I seemed really out of it and I was having problems in the bedroom "

Lisaj80 January 19, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "Do not take this drug. I took for six months it causes E.D . After stopping this medication for 3 years and feeling fine all of the sudden my memory and keeping train of thought is difficult. Not to mention the weight gain went from 160lb to 200lb, also anxiety is worse than ever"

Anonymous January 19, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Taking paxil for intrusive thoughts. It’s been very effective at cutting done the thoughts which is a welcomed relief. I can’t tolerate high doses due to pains in the body. But was on between 20mg to 7.5mg over the course of 3 years. Then tried to stop and the thoughts cam back. Right now on 10mg and going back up with the doctors help. The meds, Exposure Response Prevention Therapy (ERP Therapy), and a 12 step group OCA have been effective in minimizing symptoms. Very little anaorgasmia but it increases as I go up on the meds. Don’t beat yourself up and give it time to work. It’s a slow gradual improvement with meds. I felt different about 2 weeks, and then every week after I improved. If you can’t figure it out and there’s no conclusion it’s the ocd."

Itsnotyou (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 19, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "I was given paroxetine (generic for Paxil) for panic disorder. It took about three weeks before my severe anxiety started to dissipate, but from there on out, it definitely helped. The only side effects I had were drowsiness and occasional sleeplessness. I say this definitely can help with anxiety. With that said, it won't take care of all of it. You have to take steps to combat your anxiety as well; this was the case for me. I still had panic attacks here and there and it took me a while to realize I had to improve myself too, not just to rely solely on medication. But with the right combination of medication and mental health counselling, you will get better."

Jonny C. (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 15, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "During college years received Paxil to deal with exam stress. It calmed me and initially helped . No weight (sporty) but if I missed a dose after 1 year I started crying for no reason, my doc kept prescribing it and I thought I was OK. Yet it totally "numbed" my true emotions and stole my conscisouness and nature. I was mostly in my "head", seeking "pleasures" and not feeling the necessary "fears" (dangers) in life. After 18 years it "pooped-out" and did not work at all. I was just tired and depressed. I had to "wean off" which was a nighmare (panic, brain zaps, pains, suicidal urges, pure hell). Long term Paxil use simply destroyed my "emotional brain" and my inner and outer life!"

Paxil = Devious + Spelbounding January 7, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Just started meds week ago . I have been having bad headache"

Tinalost (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Postpartum Depression: "I was prescribed Paxil when I was 10 months postpartum and experiencing debilitating anxiety. My PCP diagnosed me with postpartum depression/anxiety and put me on Paxil. I became extremely calm, but completely apathetic and eventually quit my lucrative 10+ year career. Switched to Wellbutrin, which I've been on for 6 weeks and notice a huge difference. The reduction in stress is the same for me with Paxil and Wellbutrin. I have so much more energy. I am more determined and do not mind going to the grocery store at all. I am more focused on a course I'm taking and am completely committed to succeeding in my new career endeavor."

StormyApril (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 5, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "This medication really didn't do much. I took it for 6 weeks on 20mg. I didn't have really any side effects besides extreme tiredness and extreme lack of motivation. Now 6 weeks in I was still super anxious and depressed. It really did nothing for me at all. It is supposed to be the best for Social Anxiety but I didn't experience anything beneficial. It was really just a waste of time."

LegendaryRimJob (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2018

For Anxiety: "I originally took Paroxetine for anxiety, I was stressing out terribly. Couldn't go to school, church, etc. My doctor gave me Paroxetine for it. This made it worst my first day taking it. It was a pretty good day. The second day, better, I was enjoying stuff and things were "normal". Eventually, on the third day, It was like everything overflowed. Worst anxiety, depression, everything. I know some might say it takes a week or two, but no, things got worse."

Dan2269 December 21, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Originally took it in 2000. Took several weeks to work, with some anxiety levelling off immediately. Went from 10mg to 30 mg. Stayed on it for several months, but sexual side effects were a concern. I wish I hadn't stopped taking it. I was talking to people, maybe a little manic as well. But 17 years later, I tried so many but no benefit like Paxil so I'm starting Paxil again with Seroquel for manic episodes."

Diddy8789 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

For Depression: "Perfect, make my depression dissapear. Eating well."

Loadedmarc December 18, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I was on Paxil for a little over a year, and am currently weaning off. I suffer from depression, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, and generalized anxiety. I started Paxil at 10mg and went all the way up to 40mg, within the first couple of months. This drug did wonders for my panic disorder, PTSD, and anxiety, but made my depression worse! The reason I decided to stop taking it is because I didn't want to get out of bed anymore, and I gained about 60lbs since I started taking it. Funny they call it an antidepressant, when in the end it made my depression worse. I am trying Wellbutrin now... but I won't know how well that works until I'm completely off the Paxil in a couple weeks. The withdrawal is awful, even while weaning."

Amber716 December 9, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I used paxil many, many years ago when going thru a bad divorce and it worked very well. Then after a few years on this stuff it stopped working. Well here I am over 15 years away from these types of meds, I lost my son and went into a deep depression. Not really wanting to go back on SSRI's (paxil) I was convinced by my doc to try paxil again. BAD mistake, after using 20 mg for 5 weeks ...nothing! I went bac even worse! This stuff (paxil) is really BAD. I went cold turkey and went thru 7 days of HELL! But now I can finally say I am off of this type of stuff FOREVER ! and I'm feeling great. I started to look at the good things in my life day by day. This really works."

stuart l. December 6, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "Still having hot flashes at 73. Used Prempro for 30 years but doctors would no longer Script it. 4 months now on 10mg Paxil and loving it. Had some minor GI issues but nothing serious. I'm happy without hot flashes and I seem to have a better out"

Adelo December 5, 2017