User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paroxetine.

Trichotillomania

Postmenopausal Symptoms
5.5

Summary of Paroxetine reviews 7.6 896 reviews

Reviews for Paroxetine

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I started taking Paxil for anxiety and depression and started feeling sick on first pill. Nauseous, headaches, trembling, body shocks etc. After the second pill I found it was starting to get hard to orgasm. By the forth pill I couldn't orgasm and quit taking it at that point. Not ready to give up sex to possibly get over some anxiety and depression, but seriously if the side effects are this bad after 4 pills what would a month be like. Then after stopping after 4 days it was like the whole process in reverse as I has gotten over the headaches and sickness after 2 days, it took another 2 days to get over it once stopping. I am going to try something else or just go back to self medication, at least the side effects are more manageable"

Disso1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been taking it for about two months and it has really helped me a lot. I was dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety, I couldn't sleep and was even having difficulty eating but now I feel so much better."

Dean C. November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This drug near killed me .. Why ? couldn't sleep even an hour, had panic attack .. Paroxetine it's worst nightmare ,.,. Dire Side effects"

strikers (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've been taking Paxil 10mg for 3 years and I'm not looking to increase dose. I did gain weight but that’s also cause I was not so stressed about being thin , when I do exercise I am super fit . Paxil works , orgasms were harder but by no means impossible, just takes longer . I feel normal on it , went off for six weeks and there were mild side effects but nothing crazy . Had to go back on as there was a major trauma that happened while I was off them and I crumbled . I say do it but keep the dose low , you don’t need to take a lot ."

Marymoella (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Horrible drug. Paxil is garbage. I've been on the majority of these psych drugs. Pure poison. Now that the horrible withdrawal effects are lessening--I'm getting much better. While on and coming off them, it was pure hell. That's my experience."

PsychDrugsSuck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I starting having panic attacks around age 19 and I was & constantly heading to ER thinking I was gonna die. First I was put on a low dose of Xanax with only being told by doc that I was just a little anxious. It wasn't til I got pregnant with my 3rd son at age 28, that my OB/GYN knew exactly what I needed and put me on paxil. I remember after a couple of weeks of being on it, I woke up feeling like a normal person again. I actually noticed the sound of birds chirping outside instead of waking up in fear! I have been on Paxil now for about 15 years ( I got off of it for about 4 years and stayed anxiety free til I was robbed at gunpoint and anxiety came back) and it has truly saved my life!"

Pamela1970 (taken for 10 years or more) November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started taking 20mg 6 weeks ago for depression and horrible anxiety. After 2 weeks I began to feel less anxious and less depressed. My Dr then added 20mg of Latuda . I continue to improve and after 6 weeks my anxiety is minimal and my depression has greatly decreased. This combo has been great. I do experience reduced sex drive though. I hope this dissipates in time. I take both in the evening and sleep great."

JJ120 November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "Condition: Severe Hot Flashes Rx: Paroxetine 10mg (aka Paxil) by Mylan Two weeks (14 days) into first time taking paroxetine 10mg (aka Paxil), and working great for me! No more hot flashes. Started gradual use at one tablet every other day while weaning off Rx Estradiol 2mg. After two weeks, dosage is daily. Taken at bedtime. The only negative side effect experienced with the first pill was waking up drowsy and lethargic lasting throughout the day. This was quickly remedied this by cutting pill in half; taking half at bedtime, and half next day at noon with food. The 7.5mg Brisdelle brand is very costly and out of my budget. The Paroxetine 10mg is covered by insurance. Practical to cut in half, then other half in-half = @7.5mg."

DGonz November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Postpartum Depression: "Prescribed paxil for depression, anxiety and OCD of contamination. I took 10mg of paxil for 1.5 months. I experienced no side effects, which was the only upside. I experienced PPDA only 1 month after my first and only son was born. As a 1st time mom I thought everything I was experiencing was typical, until I began having suicidal thoughts and resorted to self harm, all taking a toll on my relationship w/ my son and husband. Waited for 10 months to finally get help. While taking paxil at first I felt better and more connected to my baby until two weeks later I noticed I felt EXTREMELY unmotivated, lazy, zombieish and uncaring. I went from one extreme with OCD to never cleaning anything ever. So I felt just as depressed as before."

Mamanainteasy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I've been on it for about 15 years. It was exactly what I needed to combat depression and the behavior that went with it. These days however, I find it makes me very tired. I can spend my entire day off just sleeping and retreating into dreams, almost like hiding. Maybe it's time to find a different drug."

PixiliciousG November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "After suffering for years with untreated PTSD the symptoms kept getting worse. Finally talked with my Dr. about it. Started me on Paxil 20 mg for a couple of months and then increased to 30 mg. I am not "cured", but my anxiety has drastically decreased. I feel almost normal. Paxil has been a God send for me."

lil ol me November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I have buzzing in ears, very annoying also find it hard to sleep. Yet when I do sleep I can sleep for 10 or 11 hour"

Kalgje (taken for 10 years or more) November 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "In July 2011 I had a complete hysterectomy, throwing me into spontaneous menopause. The hot flashes and night sweats were excruciating but, hormones of any kind made me completely crazy. I was so happy when I discovered Paxil. I started out on the lowest dose which has been increased over the years yo 60 mg a day. Three and a half weeks ago I called in for a refill but I didn't have any left. It took me three weeks to get in to see my doctor. I refused to go back on it because of the withdrawals I am still experiencing. First, all I did was sleep. Then, I started experiencing severe joint pain. After three weeks, I am starting to feel slightly better. I now just feel like I have the worst case of the flu and arthritis."

Excruciating withdrawals (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: "Was given RX for hot flashes, had shock at price (90 day over $200. asked Dr. to write RX for Paxil 10 mg, use pill cutter to cut 1/2 then 1/2 of a half = 7.5 ,90 day $4.ish.) Works for me. Hot flashes not as harsh or as often. Worried tho when I do try to wean myself, I have experienced weird sensations when have forgotten to take for a few days."

Caligirl 63 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Postpartum Depression: "The first week Paxil was great I felt better no more anxiety and I felt happy and not stressed. But now going on the 3rd week I feel so sleepy I have no interest in doing anything and I'm jittery at the same time. I've never been not interested in doing house cleaning or going outside but now I don't want to do anything but sleep."

Mommyof2bbys October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: "My hot flashes were terrible. A lot during the day and at least 6 - 8 at night. Waking me up, so can't get enough sleep. I took the brisdelle and at first I didn't think it was working. About 4 weeks in, I noticed a big change and now I'm 7 weeks in and have not had one hot flash in the last three weeks. I'm sleeping again and not sweating all day long. The only drawback was the first 3 weeks. I was exhausted, had some muscle twitching and a backache. All gone now, but getting used to it was not easy but worth it."

Lulu 1 October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "During my second year at college I started panicking. I had moved to another city and I was living alone and I was working and studying chemical engineering. So much thing to do, one day I thought I was gonna die, I breathed but no amount of air gave me the sensation of relief. From this day on I couldn’t do anything else but to stay at home. Then a doctor prescribed paroxotine. The first three weeks it got worse, I though I was gonna freak out. But eventually the symptoms diminished and I started to feel better. I used this drug for one year and a half, meanwhile I started to feel good small things in life. Then I felt safe to drop the drug slowly. Now I don’t use it anymore, and I learnt to control anxiety. It was really tough."

AugustoMarcos (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "There was a history in my family or anxiety and panic attacks, but I had never experienced it until I was 55 (3 years ago). When it hit me, it hit me hard. It truly was the worst experience in my life. I went from being Mr. Optimistic to worrying about every ache and pain in my body. It was a living hell. When my doctor realized what was going on with me, he put me on 20mg of Paxil. I must say the first week on it was very difficult, but I believe it's because I wasn't told or didn't hear him tell me to take half a pill for the first week. After about 2 weeks or so, I woke up one morning and absolutely felt like I was on cloud 9. Not because it made me high, but because I felt normal again! I am now on 40mg and still feeling great!"

Tony in Florida October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "A year ago I was put on Paxil for PTSD, depression, anxiety. All I can say is do your research because this is a mind altering drug. It can put you in a childhood state ,time loss, carefree and not in a good way. DONT TOUCH THIS STUFF. If you do be careful of the major things doctors don't tell you."

Horrible drug September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "I was having horrific power surges (hot flashes). I would have at least 3 or more per hour and they were major. I hated stopping to talk to people at work or because I'd break out in dripping sweat, it was humiliating. I was waking up 5+ times a night with extreme sweating. I couldn't go into meetings or church or anywhere without a hand fan. I am two weeks into taking Paxil, and I might have 4 very minor power surges per day and last night was the first night in 3 years I slept through without having one single episode. I highly recommend Paxil."

Edizzle (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hot Flashes: "This drug has been a lifesaver for me., I has a hysterectomy and 2 years later full blown menopause .... hot flashes - night sweats. I really hated going anywhere when I would run into someone I knew at the grocery store I would get a hot flash and my face turns really red and they would say omg did I say something to make u mad lol and I would say no I'm just boiling from the inside out ugggg , but this med saved me down to maybe 2 a day "

Tradermexico (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I have a mixture of anxiety( severe) hypochondria, depression, and panic disorder. I started having episodes when I was 17 that completely bring my life into a tailspin. I'll lose weight, sleep all the time, worry obsessively, go to the doctor a hundred times, and withdrawal from life. It's torture; I feel like I'm in an alternate reality at times. The only drug that corrects me is Paxil. I get some blurred vision, vivid dreams, tremors, and swears, but it's worth it to feel normal. I feel the effects after the first dose."

emmanoramaura September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I started this medicine 09 DAYS ago. I had my first panic attack ever like a month ago. My anxiety started about 2 months ago after receiving a phone call with a bad news. I was so anxious that I stopped eating and sleeping. During those past two months I was feeling very anxious in the mornings and afternoons and some times back to my normal self at night. I developed a social phobia as well. Paxil has terrible side effects, nausea, insomnia, total loss of appetite ( didn't have much to start with) drowsiness, involuntary muscle movements...... etc. I thought about stopping it the third day because of insomnia. I made it to day 9 and my anxiety isn't realty better.doc said give it more time."

anxious2017 September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I was on this medication for years for OCD anxiety depression PTSD , then wanted to get pregnant and switched to Zoloft. The Z stopped working after a year and terrible panic attacks started happening again. Went back on P. Overall, I am happy to not be crying all the time and not snapping at my family. I have a much better time on P than on Z. My only problem is the weight gain that comes with it. It's very sad for me to gain 20 pounds. But still, it's better than being so scared all the time. Please, make sure you take as directed. It takes six weeks for medicine like this to work. You won't know after a day or two. Stay strong"

Mom2.3 September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Pros: felt great quickly, kept me fairly level for a few years before poopout. Cons: SEVERE withdrawal and ANGER and AGITATION. Upon reflection, the past 3 years on Paxil were also filled with inappropriate anger to the point of rage, uncontrollable outbursts that I've never experienced before. I isolated my loved ones, lost my partner and became a recluse as I feared my emotions. Didn't realize this until I reconnected with loved ones. Gained 40 lbs, despite a healthy diet and exercise. Joint pain, muscle loss. Yuck. Had to switch to Lexapro to come off this drug, and lead an antihistamine/anti inflammatory diet (huge contributors to mood disorders--eye opening discovery). It smoothed out the ride but I still suffered "Paxil Rage"."

MASFL77 September 3, 2017