User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Trichotillomania 1 reviews 3 medications

6.9
Postmenopausal Symptoms 2 reviews 202 medications

Summary of Paroxetine reviews 817 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "Paxil definitely works for social anxiety. However, the side effects just became intolerable over time. What are those side effects? Well, for one, you will be tired all the time. Secondly, I found it really hard to focus, and I would forget things that just happened. Thirdly, and most disturbingly, I became a zombie who didn't care about anything and couldn't empathize with people!! I couldn't feel any emotions; I couldn't cry. Not only that, but it was also hard to experience positive emotions/pleasure. This phenomenon is called "emotional bluntness". I didn't notice that I was experiencing this emotional numbness (and most others don't notice too) until people around me started pointing it out. That's just my experience."

J-Gar (taken for 10 years or more) May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Psychiatrist put me back on 25mg ER per day, after using all the others. Xanax withdrawals were the worst. Diazepam for me is much better. Fish Oil capsules help a lot. Prozac caused hair loss. Zoloft horrible. Extended release is the way to go. For sleep I prefer temazapam. Never use diazepam to sleep."

Vegas Rose (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "It will do nothing negative. Give it a try to enjoy life. Life is short. Don't take the burden of social anxiety and panic attacks for your whole life. If you still feel terrible when taking Paxil use inderal as well and you will see an improvement in life. My score for Paxil CR is 9/10 in just days. PS if you ignore this illness it will give you IBS, high BP, anxiety, messes with career goals, gives heart problems, sleep problems, low energy, you need short naps, always low confidence and so on. I avoided medicines from age18 to 28 years and now finally I took the step for paxil. Stay blessed ...."

Aitezaz (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I've been on Paxil for about 15 years. Dosage is 20mg per day. I felt relief from my depression symptoms almost immediately, contrary to most other folks. It's been a very good treatment for me. Recently had to up the dosage due to a closed head injury suffered at work. My depression came back hard and crushing. The higher dose (40mg/day) is working very well. I have noticed a lot of folks have reported needing more sleep when on the drug.......... I have had that problem for years. Might be the Paxil. It has not ever interfered with my work life, but boy, it has been hard to get out of bed for years and I never could put my finger on the reason. Good luck to everybody !"

Oilfield (taken for 10 years or more) May 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I waited a week before braving this for long term anxiety treatment, the side effect put me off but my anxiety is still so bad day to day. So yesterday I took my first tablet and what followed hours after was the following: -sickness (was sick twice) -diarrhea -shortness of breath -palpatations -worse feeling panic and anxiety than before -suicidal thoughts (almost took myself to the hospital-but rode it out instead) -awful nightmares and virtually no sleep -shakes now I feel frail and am laying in bed all day trying to recover from taking the 1 tablet.."

happysaddoll (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I previously posted on here in December 2016 when I first started taking them for Depression, Anxiety, Trichtillomania . I was on 30mg of paroxetine until now, I've had to come off them. I've been a complete zombie for 6 months, I slept 12 hours a night, had no interest in doing anything, exercise was impossible. Headaches, snacking, lack of concentration. It was like I still had anxiety just the symptoms were numbed. Since stopping taking this medicine I feel alive. I am still sick but I am able to get up and go to the gym and I only need 8 hours or less sleep. I came off cold turkey, it was very stupid but I needed relief from this med. I'm feeling much more alive. I think I'll need meds again but I won't be using paroxetine (or sertraline or citalopram!)"

KateH90 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've only been on paxil for 8 days but my side effects are minimal. I started on 5 mg and am moving to 10mg today. Fingers crossed that this works. So far this has been the best in minimal side effects compared to others I have taken"

Schmutz84 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Started working after 2 months, before that I was blushing, almost crying just from stress and panic attacks I stopped it I'm the 3rd month, now after year and I'm starting it again it had great benefits. "

Chrisnsnsjs May 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I have been on Paxil for 19 years, the side effects are becoming too much to bare so recently I attempted to wean from it, I became so physically ill and mentally disturbed I had to be hospitalized and put back up a dose to stop the withdrawals, now I have to take the liquid for to slowly wean off, it is worse then heroin withdrawal and methadone withdrawal both which I have over come cold turkey. I cannot get off this medication and it is sad because I want to have children but pregnancy is a no no while on Paxil, I'm 34 I've been on it since I was 15, I was put on it and never told anything about the addictiveness and withdrawals or any of the problems associated with it, it was a bandaid solution that has become a life long addiction"

Candicane_34 May 1, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started with severe panic and anxiety attacks 3 years ago, which honestly made me think I was going crazy, scariest time in my life. I tried Zoloft and Lexapro and both made me feel worse. January 2015 I started Paxil 10mg and worked up to 20mg and honestly felt like my old self again, no longer dealt with the attacks. However, in February 2017 I decided to try Prozac because the Paxil had made me numb to everything and I did gain about 45lbs on it. I have now been on Prozac for almost 3 months and am waiting to switch back over to the paxil because I feel anxious and irritable on this and miss the paxil. I pray for all of you who deal with this awful disease and pray one day they can find an actual cure for it!!!!!"

crash0825 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I've suffered from depression and anxiety for the past 7 years. I've tried many anti depressants and this is by far the best. I haven't been able to work in 5 years and I'm not back in full time employment. I'm also down to 20mg from 50mg which is fantastic I can tell you. Yes I put on 5 stone. But some of that was quitting smoking to. But I'm alive. After several attempts at taking my own life. This drug although I have those feelings still. This drug helps me by giving me the boost I need to talk myself out of it. Yay for this tablets!"

Raggner (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Just went back on it after finding another doctor for my ssi"

Alabama gal (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 30, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I am a long time (near 25 years) Paxil user. Some of your new users need to give it a chance before making an assessment. I had some of those side effects early on-they were no big deal and they all went away over time. Bottom line, I suffered from lifelong severe depression-Paxil literally stopped me from taking my own life. On Anxiety, the result has not been as positive, but perhaps I need to increase my dosage? I'll talk to my physician on that. If you're mainly depressed I heartily endorse Paxil, it reduces depression with minimal side effects. It's a wonder drug in my book!"

Bronco Philly April 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Pros: works for anxiety, depression Cons: weight gain, ED, orgasm troubles, just stopped caring about everything"

nanotech23 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "The good: - Improved motivation - More stable moods, fewer deep lows - Improved self-confidence - Decreased anxiety The bad: - (during the first few weeks) Insomnia - (during the first few weeks) Drowsiness - (transient) Vivid bad dreams - Difficulty reaching orgasm - Forgetfulness - Emotional blunting"

Saraaaannnnna April 23, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "After living most of my life with undiagnosed anxiety and thinking I was normal it wasn't till life got serious that panic attacks and severe anxiety took its toll. After seeing many doctors etc one finally prescribed paroxetine and now life has never been as good. It took 2 weeks to build up in my system and it was like taking a fire extinguisher to the constant adrenaline hits to my stomach. Definitely worth at try."

Markschitty April 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I've been taking paxil and Trazadone and its been helping me to get through each day. My anxiety is down and I sleep well."

Lilyrose223 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 22, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I was given Paxil 20 mg for depression. I had not taken any antidepressant during my life. My greatest sadness was when my brother died. It stopped working. I know this med is NOT a magic pill. Instead of feeling better, I was feeling worse. I did NOT do ANY research on this med. My Family Practice MD told me to take 40 mg. Again, I took the med but didn't really feel well on this med. I gained LOTS of weight. I was put on the med because I was depressed and NOT eating. That changed quickly, when I started the Paxil. I finally decided that Paxil was not working for me, I was overweight and I decided to wean from this med. I started educating myself regarding Paxil. Paxil MUST be tapered/weaned. Med can't be stopped abruptly."

Idon'trecommendPAXIL (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I am a 47 year old male, and have been using Paroxetine for 3 months, having been prescribed it for severe clinical depression. It is the first time in my life that I have suffered from Mental Illness. In the 6 months prior to properly seeking help I had spiralled to the point where I could not sleep, had anxiety levels through the roof, did not want to speak to anybody, hated everything about life, and fantasized daily of suicide. I started 20mg Paroxetine daily while spending 5 weeks in a Recovery clinic in Jan/Feb. This medication has literally given me a second chance at life. It did take a couple of weeks to kick in, but now my mood is buoyant, and my anxiety is non-existent. Still not sure how it has done it. For me, a miracle pill!"

VeryGrateful April 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "Been on Paxil for about 3 month starting my fouth it's been helping me a lot with my panic disorders & social experiences. My mg for Paxil is low 20mg. However, whoever is starting this medication don't get discourage it will take ( 1 month) time for Paxil to kick in but it will be worth it. A big con is; that ejaculation time got delayed."

PERSON2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I rate Paxil as a 10. It worked almost immediately with me to relieve my symptoms and the only side effect is that it makes me sleepy/tired, which isn't a problem to me as I am retired (my doctor suggested that I can change the time that I take it, from morning to evening and I am considering doing that, especially if I decide to go back to work again)."

Minnesota Skinny (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I was put onto horrid paxil in 1996. Turned into zombie gained 60 lbs in 4 months. Went off cold turkey, doctor said no problem won't make weight gain and not addictive. She believed the sales rep. Now 2017. Weight still high can't shed weight unless total fast that kicks in serious medical issues Plus....diabetes. yep paxil can give you that deadly expensive disease. DONT take this drug, they test on patients' withdrawal now they call it something else. Good luck. But run away from this dangerous drug. You will gain fat you can't lose and end up losing a foot and your vision to this drug. Depressed now? Try it from a wheel chair and being blind from paxil caused diabetes."

senn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Been using Paxil for about 20 years, 15 mg daily. I suffered from lifelong depression and anxiety and can attest that Paxil probably saved my life as I contemplated suicide seriously on multiple occasions before taking the drug. It's good about 100% for depression, maybe 75% effective against Anxiety. If I miss it for 2-3 days I start feeling down in the dumps again. The side effects that some posters noted above are usually only temporary. Over time they all disappear-I had several of them in the beginning as well-not a big deal. Love this drug."

Paul Morphy April 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I was skeptical at first but just after the first week I feel a huge difference. I have slight nausea, dry mouth and yawning but they are getting better. The world is a much better place now."

Copper69 (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have been taking 20mg for the last couple of months. It has really helped me in so many ways and I wish I started taking it a long time ago.From almost ending my life to feeling in love with life in just a month. I'm more confident, chatty and I'm doing all the things I wanted to do but was to afraid of doing. The only bad side effect that has stuck is feeling extremely tired early in the evenings and I usually fall asleep watching tv on the couch at about 9pm. I love this drug I truly believe it has saved my life."

Norm82 April 6, 2017