User Reviews for Paroxetine

Postpartum Depression
6.6

Summary of Paroxetine reviews 7.2 976 reviews

Reviews for Paroxetine

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Took 6 to 8 weeks for this to kick in fully. I suffered from severe generalized anxiety and agoraphobia. It was hard to do anything. I was in constant fear of my heart rate going high, not being able to get medical attention in certain situations and overall anxiety levels through the roof. I've tried Citalopram (Celexa) 20, 40 and 60mg and didn't work, Effexor and didn't work, Buspar and didn't work. Xanax helps and Klonopin helps. Out of those two I prefer Klonopin but they aren't meant for long term and only used them when I was really desparate. I've been on 20mg of Paroxetine (Paxil) for 4 months now and it's like I never had anxiety. I'm able to go on trips planes, cab rides, busses. I'm able to go outside and enjoy myself. I started golfing again which I love. I'm able to go to the gym and exercise and not freak out that my heart rate is high and start having a panic attack. I'm able to just live life without being in constant fear state."

LongTimeSufferer August 9, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I've been on it since around 1999. I had been doped up before on Xanax and sick like a dog on Buspar. 2 weeks after taking paxil I woke up from a 5 year bad dream. Here I am today almost two decades later. If it makes you feel sick after a month taking it then it's probably not right for your chemical imbalance. Buspar was that way for me. But if it's right for you you'll know it. Everything will feel normal again. No more excessive worry or constant fear of going crazy. I will say it's a commitment if it works on you. Getting off it sucks real bad but if you're like me you have no desire to go back to the nightmare. But if you don't like it just stop after a month to reduce withdraw risk. Just realize this is not a good drug to be on temporary, it's something you have to take to function until there's a cure. It's affordable without insurance too. I thank Paxil every day."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I had to stop taking it, it made my depression 1000 times worse "

MJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Paxil is very effective BUT it has wayyyy to many negative side effects. When I was on Paxil, I experienced nausea, headaches, fatigue, and burning sensation in the stomach. I literally felt like a zombie that had zero energy. I’m glad I was not on it for too long which made me get zero withdraws, but it did keep me from getting anxiety or feeling depressed because I felt sick the entire time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "After a year I finally decided to share my experience. I am so grateful about having been prescribed paroxetine. No more Sundays blues that last days and I feel a lot more social and I worry less. I wish I had known about this when I really struggled about ten years ago. Only problem is you can’t become pregnant on it as it can have a negative impact. Otherwise I can only recommend it. Please note that you will probably have some side effects first. For me it was extreme sleepiness, feeling spacey etc. After a few weeks you will feel better but probably won’t notice the total effect until about 8-12 weeks. Give it a try it you are struggling."

Tineee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 2, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "I am currently taking 20 mg Seroxat (paroxetine) because I was suffering from severe anxiety accompanied with panic attacks. It is my seventh week now, and I am feeling better, anxiety is almost gone. However, it took it roughly 6 weeks to kick in. Indeed, during the first two weeks I suffered from minor side effects such as fatigue, laziness, minor anxiety, diarrhoea, dry mouth. But it is normal given that this kind of medicine takes time to adjust to your system. The doctor also prescribed me Bromazepam that is being tapered down with time, and I am doing CBT. Although the doctor is telling me that Seroxat is working fine on me, I have doubt because every time I stand up after sitting or lying down I feel dizzy, and I have difficulties concentrating for a long period, and every time I face a sad or stressful moment, panic attack and anxiety come back for few days. So do you think it is too soon for me to judge if Seroxat is working fine on me?"

SC July 29, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Taking for panic attacks and agoraphobia. Started at 10mg and worked up to 30mg. The difference in my anxiety, mood, and energy levels is dramatic. I feel normal again, it's almost euphoric how much better I feel. I have more energy during the day, no panic attacks, and I sleep better. I did gain weight (20 lbs.) over six months, but a membership to the gym and joining Weight Watchers has helped me lose 12 lbs. and counting, so it's coming off. This medicine has been a godsend for me."

kdclark (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been taking Paxil for about a year now and have to say several positive things about it. Although it can be a pain to remember to take it, everyone’s body is different and withdrawals are manageable. (And if they aren’t you can go into any emergency room and request a refill; in an emergency) . Paxil has given me confidence in myself. I feel you have to treat it like a vitamin, thinking that the pill will fix everything can make you a typical pessimist, however, effects are really noticeable around the 3-4 week period. My experience is a more stable mood, diminished social anxiety, and more energy. I began to see improvements in the threshold for my emotions. It would take me a lot longer to become upset or anxious about something. It is not as if the feeling is gone but you become less stimulated by your environment. Things that really were stressful and important to me became petty and easier to manage. I have taken Lexapro, Prozac, and Effexor and I think Paxil has been the best overall SSRI."

Ryandawg (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 21, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I was given paxil for my anxiety and panic attacks.. The first day I took this medicine I was feeling great, then the past few days I have had really bad side effects. Headache, dizziness, feeling faint, very nauseous, and my anxiety and panic attacks came back with a vengeance. Severe anxiety and 3 panic attacks, not to mention it looked like I got sunburn but it is another reaction to the medicine."

cupcake (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: "My doctor prescribed this to help me with hot flashes and night sweats. After taking this for just three days, I was in bed with one of the worst headaches I've ever had. Seven hours, six ibuprofen, three aspirin, and three icepacks later, I still had it. On day four, I woke-up feeling somewhat human, only to have it return with a vengeance within a few hours. By the end of the day, at a friend's home, I was on her bathroom floor and convinced I was dying. Not only was the headache almost unbearable, but I also had a stabbing pain in my left eye. My husband managed to get me home, but not before I threw-up in the car. I had chills and pain all night long. After investigating the side effects, we've decided this is not the medication for me. The hot flashes and night sweats are bad, but they're not nearly as horrible as the pain I've been in."

LLO (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was just prescribed this medicine to start taking for my anxiety. After reading these reviews I am terrified. Weight gain? I eat really well and work out every day.. and I am still going to gain weight? Not to mention the brain zaps? The nausea and the dizziness? Come on people.. thanks for terrifying me."

Due diligence (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I took paxil for years for anxiety. The side effects got to the point I discussed with my doctor about getting off of it. He recommended tapering and starting welbutrin. I can say this. The paxil withdrawal symptoms are purely awful. I would lie in bed for weeks. Couldn't stop vomiting. Dizziness still persists. While it did alleviate anxiety. I'd rather have anxiety than the awfulness it put me through. I would never recommend this to anybody"

Joesep (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I have been taking Paxil since 1999 and have slowly had to increase my dosage to 60mg. Have been stable with that dosage for awhile now. I do not think I would of been here to this day with out it. I have HUGE anxieties and panic attacks back to back. I had no idea what was wrong with me. Finally after many different meds. These work. I know that I will always have to take these for Life and I am okay with it. My Father (RIP) committed suicide in 1996 and I refused to go down that route. I think that is what triggered my break down. I am glad that before my "breakdown" I chose not to have children. I am now 47 and very thankful that I made the right decision to not have children, I would never ever been pregnant and taking meds. Things happen for reasons"

Shelly (taken for 10 years or more) July 5, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "This was prescribed to me to be taken 10 days before my period and until it ended. Not a good fit because of the jaw clenching/yawning side effect. Jaw clenching caused me to wake up with some pretty bad head and neck aches when I was taking it. For me it was not worth the side effects."

rlcourtney (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking Paxil 3 years ago. I was changing jobs after 20 years, had a second child and my wife and I were no longer close. I was angry and stressed out all the time and started having euphoric dizzy sensations so I was put on 20mg. What a life changer! I started to notice that the small things didn't bother me anymore and a lot of the big things were manageable. I still got the dizzy sensations, but slowly over the next year, they went away. I'm 6'4" and weighed 250lbs. when I started taking and now weigh 300lb now. I definitely suffered from weight gain. Also, if you miss taking one, you know it. That sucks. Take it at the same time every night. It evened everything out. I take it before bed, as I wasn't sure if it would make me tired or not. Also, as an occasional beer drinker, after one I get REALLY sleepy.Despite these effects Paxil has worked great for me. Would recommend."

JD July 5, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "In 11th grade, Doc prescribed this to me when I told him I suffered from social anxiety and GAD. He gave me some Paxil samples to try. The first few days I felt tired and numb. I also felt like something was trying to control all of my negative thoughts. At night, when I was watching TV, I felt a wave of panic hit me. That was my first panic attack. I never had one before. I had to lay on the bed and talk myself out of the rapid heartbeat and sudden terror. A couple days later, I was practicing tennis with my team. Out of nowhere, my vision went black, but I was still conscious. I told the coach that I couldn't play anymore that day cuz I wasn't feeling well. He thought I was making excuses and told me to run 5 laps after practice. Anyway, I had to sit on the bench and calm myself down. I basically experienced a panic attack and nearly blacked out. The next day, I took myself off of it cold turkey. I ended up having heart palpitations the entire day. Not the drug for me."

Annali03 (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2018

For Anxiety: "Been on 20 mg paroxetine 2 and a half years. Pros-- Fewer to non-existent panic attacks; better able to cope with anxiety producing circumstances; able to drive on the expressway without panicking Cons--Huge weight gain (continually have to buy new clothes!); can't come off without terrible withdrawal symptoms Verdict--Wish I had researched side effects better before filling prescription!! Currently attempting to slowly taper off...cut back to 10 mg. a month ago without terrible symptoms."

MemTN (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Started on 10mg for panic disorder and worked up to 20mg. It enabled me to accomplish things I couldn't do before, but didn't completely rid me of all anxiety, just took the edge off enough to allow me to function. Recently my anxiety/panic has gotten steadily worse, so I'm going to request going up to 40mg, the target dose for panic disorder. I had next to no side effects other than some insomnia and a brief bout of sexual dysfunction where it was hard to climax. I gained about 17 lbs. since starting it, but I also feel better enough to go out to restaurants and I eat out about 4 times a week. My exercise routine has also slackened due to lack of motivation. I suppose it could slow down metabolism, assuming the weight gain isn't entirely my fault (which I think it is), but even so, it's really not a deal-breaker considering how severe my anxiety was. Even though my dosage now needs adjusting, it has helped me lead a semi-normal life for the past year."

kevindcl July 1, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been on Paxil for 15 years (except when I was pregnant) It's been great for my OCD, but still makes me feel tired and I've gained weight that's hard to lose on it. I'm switching to something else that might be more energizing and doesn't pile on the pounds. Overall, I think it can be an awesome drug for anxiety and OCD in my experience, but there are a lot of side effects compared to other SSRIs."

Lynn20 (taken for 10 years or more) July 1, 2018

For Depression: "5 days ago I was here reading reviews desperately searching for hope... Today I woke up with that hope. I began taking 20mg Paroxetine for severe PMS and Mild Depression 5 days ago... I woke up today feeling much lighter. The 50 lb. weights on my shoulders are nearly gone. I had an amazing experience with Paxil 17 years ago. I had to stop taking it when I became pregnant. I’ve tried several other (newer) SSRI’s (Zoloft, Lexopro) since then with no success. I almost gave up... Today, I looked in the mirror for the first time I can remember without severe criticism... Positive thoughts are replacing negative ones. I am in the middle of PMS and have little appetite. (Which is great!) The last time I used Paxil much of my happiness came from extra-weight loss. For the first time in years, I am hopeful for the future..."

JayJay (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2018

For Hot Flashes: "I was prescribed this medicine yesterday (so it’s new to me) but so far I love it. I have been having hot flashes almost all day long. I live in fl & this makes life hell as it is already extremely hot here. Night sweats were insane. Fatigue, bloating etc etc. Almost instantly after taking this med I noticed a huge difference. I was able to turn my air conditioner from 63 up to 70 last night, and didn’t need my floor fan or ceiling fans. It kept me awake most of last night. I do feel like I’m extremely alert.... a ringing in my ears and a swooshing sound in my head. I can’t wait until the 4-5 weeks when these side effects will go away. I am happier dealing with the minor effects than the all day long hot flashes. I was always so embarrassed to go anywhere, see people etc because I was constantly sweating and then my under garments would be drenched and when I would go into the grocery store or anywhere with air conditioning I’d then freeze. There was no balance whatsoever and now there is!!!!!!"

Mistee37 June 27, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I took this medication for depression and anxiety it worked like a charm. However the side effects were pretty crazy - Firstly I had trouble urinating on this medication, I had to concentrate really hard to pee, had sexual problems couldn't get "off". I also gained 15-20 pounds in 3 months, had a dry mouth, and once I got off the medication the withdrawals were really bad. Brain zaps, ringing in ears for 2-3 weeks after stopping the medication. Oh and this medication caused me to get sleep paralysis. Never had this condition before getting on paxil."

Jensen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "I started paxil around 4 months ago I started on 20mg the side effects where horrific but I stuck with it. It made me sick, I was shaking but all that didn't last long. I felt a difference after around 5 weeks then I increased to 30mg after 2 months. The 30mg honestly changed my life I've gone from being anxious with anyone, including family when talking to them, to being so much more confident and anxiety free. I did up my dose to 40mg but it screwed everything up I had Increased anxiety feeling sick it was awful now I'm back down to 30mg. It's honestly changed my life and it was my last hope!! I've tried every other medication out there, stick with this you will see a difference."

Charm111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2018

For Depression: "My best comment is price, it's affordable. Paxil was used by me for almost twenty years. I had to switch to generics because of cost. Used many generics and each one has there own side effects."

KT June 18, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "I have been taking the generic version of paxil - PARoxetine (20mg tablets) once a day for nearly a year now and can say that it has definitely helped with my social anxiety. I finally feel like I can talk to people in a serious manner without starting to feel completely under pressure. Those that have social anxiety know exactly what I am talking about. It also helped me with my sexual performance and caused me to last much much longer than I used to be able to in bed. This had some downfalls at first but eventually I was able to train myself to peak at will after a certain time during sexual intercourse. I also want to touch base on drug use while on this drug I rarely drink only on special occasion. As far as alcohol goes, I noticed that I would get drunk much quicker than usual and feel much worse the coming morning. This caused me to adjust how much I drink WHEN I do drink."

Jake June 12, 2018