User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Trichotillomania 1 reviews 3 medications

Depression 148 reviews 78 medications

7.1
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 679 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Paroxetine

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I am a 31 year old female. Paroxatine definitely helped my mood but it made me lethargic and I gained about a kilo a month for the five months I was on it. I was unhappy about the weight gain so I tapered off very slowly and didn't have any serious side effects besides being a bit emotional for a week. Losing the weight seems to be harder than it was before I took the medication. It didn't help my mood anymore than sertraline or Effexor did and the side effects of those were far more tolerable than so much weight gain."

Lanna315 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "Well this is a veeeery strong drug and an effective one but has a lot of side effects and the withdrawal is an absolute nightmare. I started taking paroxetine because of depression, social anxiety and suicidal thoughts. The drug has helped me to overcome the crippling anxiety but it also made me emotionaly numb. This numbness is a common side effect for SSRI but in my case it caused an aggravation of depression. While taking paxil I felt like nothing made sense anymore. It was a horrible experience but then again it allowed me to see things more objectively without the overpowering emotional ballast I had before. I stopped taking paroxetine and now I feel like I was on a long vacation from my self and my mind."

xaman July 19, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: "A GYN prescribed Brisdelle - it's a low-dose Paxil (7.5 mg) for hot flashes. This Doctor stated that unlike other SSRI's, I would NOT have complications or side effects going on/off them - in the case of running out of supply. This was NOT my experience. After 3-4 days of stopping, I noted an odd sensation connected to my eyes. I told my opthamologist about a "swishing" sound I heard with any movement of my eyes. I finally found others reporting this all over the internet. This also happened in a previous year with Sertraline (Zoloft) - this 'after quitting' side effect lasted a very long time - maybe a year or more! THE DUMBEST, MOST WASTEFUL PACKAGING ON THE PLANET. WHY NOT SIMPLY MAKE 7.5 PAXIL IN A SIMPLE BOTTLE? Pink? Come on!"

CrazyRX's (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I started Paxil to control anxiety. The first brand was Auribindo. It worked about one month. I was using less Klonopin. Then out of the blue I had a Panic attack that put me in the hospital overnight. Then I switched generic brands to Zydus. On my first dose I thought I would die. It felt like I had overdosed. It happened within 10 minutes of taking that brand. It was only 15mg. I have now received the Dylan brand and will take it in the morning. I say this for people who think the Paxil may not work. You need to do a trial run on these no good generics. I felt like I was dying plus so nauseated on the Zydus brand. Hopefully the Nylon will work. I am running out of brands to try."

Paul user (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I strongly recommend Paxil 20 mg for depression this drug has uplifted my mood, and truly suppressed my appetite I have been on it for two weeks and loss four pounds already. The one side effect that I have experience is excessive yarning. Once the dose was adjusted the symptoms has stop."

Foune July 14, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "My husband had prostate cancer and had to have it removed. It was done in a new method where they did not have to cut nerves or uretha. No chemo or bags for urine, he still enjoyed sex although it was trying even with the blue pill. A year later he started having some panic attacks and would start crying over small things. He has always been A very outgoing person and vert talkative and joked with everyone. He retired very abruptly in a year. I kept working for another 5 yrs. I was noticing a change but I let it go. If he wanted something he bought it. If he wanted to do something he did it. If he didn't want to do something, he didnt. He wanted a 40,ooo pickup.he bought it. He's always loved to play poker. I hate this man now."

Kathy chandler July 9, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "February 2015 I had an overdose due to depression. I still haven't admitted I was depressed but the anxiety is real. I couldn't go to class when I did go to school. My stomach would go crazy and my mind wouldn't stop racing. I was then put on Paxil. I have been on it for a year and a half now and I'm trying to get off it. not that it isn't working for my anxiety but my emotions are uncontrollable when I try to get off it and when I am on it I feel like I'm just going. I find myself looking back on a week and not remembering a time I took to just chill and think. because Paxil thinks for me. I don't like that so I am trying to get off it."

Keyia 17 years old (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: "Ive been on this medication for a year now about a month after having a full hysterectomy. Worked the first night I took it. No hot flashes, no mood swings. I feel great and sleep well. I do experience nausea once in a awhile in the morning but that fades fast with a drink of water or cup of coffee. It's very pricey even with a coupon as I pay out of pocket, but it's worth every dime."

Kim in Texas July 6, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I went on this medication due to me having severe anxiety and mild OCD to the point where it affected me in almost every aspect, I've only been on it for almost a month and so far the results have been amazing, the only side effect that I've really noticed is the fact that I get sleepy so I take it before bed. Other than that I'm more happy, more calm, my OCD isn't as bad anymore"

Bellacarly (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Ive been taking Paxil for around 3 years now,Im under 18 by the way for people who say its not safe,For my Anxiety,the first 2 years i was on it i was on 20mg,then sometime in 2015 switched it to 40mg,Now im on 60mg,and ive never been better,as far as anxiety goes,Ive tried Zoloft and it did nothing but give me more anxiety,I was on Latuda with it and i had to stop the latuda because I had horrible side effects to it,Ive never had a bad reaction to Paxil,maybe other than slight weight gain. If your going to take Paxil for Depression i wouldent recommend it,but everyone its different,its never helped as far as depression goes,it does slightly help now that im on the 60mg,but im still looking for a anti-depressant to go with it."

Anna_R2000 July 3, 2016

For Depression: "Simply an evil drug! I've been on pretty most of them over the years and this turned me near on psychotic making me do things completely out of character, taking me from manic delusions of grandeur, to the depths of hell itself. You name it,i suffered it! Only by the grace of God,did i not kill or injure myself seriously,or others while on it. Some may be ok on it, but i'd say,don't chance it; Avoid it like the plague!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I had a pretty good experience while taking this drug. I decided to pursue a career that would need me to not be on any medications and talked to my doctor about it. She slowly started to take me off the medications and that took about 2 months total to get off. About 4 days after I stopped taking the medication completely I began shaking uncontrollably, was nauseous and my depression/ anxiety was through the roof. I went to the ER and they said it was withdrawal. These side effects lasted about 2 months total but weren't as severe the whole time. Its been about 5 months since I went off and I feel great!"

HHAn June 27, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was sent to a psychologist for depression and anxiety when I was just 16. She put me on Paxil. It really saved my life. I was unable to sleep and soanxious I could enjoy nothing. After 20 years if feeling normal, although I did gain weight, I decided to wean myself because of the weight issue. Big mistake. I crashed due to stress and been in a state of extreme panic and anxiety for over a week. I can't eat and I lost 10 pounds in a week because I want to be sick all the time. Tried switching to Prozac which made it worse! I'm back to Paxil and I know it will help me again soon as it kicks in. In the mean time I am on Ativan. I wished I never stopped it. Works great for extreme anxiety and depression."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 26, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I've been on Paxil for 16 yrs and overall it's been a positive in my life. There have been days through the years when anxiety has still arisen. This spring depression returned and my dr increased my dosage from 20-30 mg. After a month my mood stabilized, depression lifted and I've been able to resume enjoying life again. However, last night I drank 3 beers and today have walked around like a zombie. Not worth the after effects!!"

Panzy June 22, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been meaning to write this for a couple of months now. I started getting really crippling panic attacks last year. from the panic attacks came mild agoraphobia and then the depression sunk in after not thinking i could help myself. I went through about 4 ssri's before being put on paxil. I can honestly say it has changed my life. I am 95% back to my old self and everyday i actually enjoy getting up. don let other peoples experiences with ssri's affect you. everyone reacts differently and there is definitely one out there that will work for you. In saying that there are 2 types of people with anxiety and depression, a person who does nothing, and a person who gets up and does everything about it. (I'm 21 by the way)"

jay22579 June 21, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I'm super medication sensitive so I started out at 5mg for panic disorder. My doctor said there's no way 5mg is going to help, but after 4 weeks it was like a switch was flicked. I went back to my old self for 3 whole days. I had to come off of it due to uncontrollable neck jerking and head twitching. It's the strangest thing I've ever experienced. It's been over a month since I quit and I'm still doing it alot. Not as much, but seriously way too much. I hope this isn't permanent. Now I have panic disorder and neck jerking. Lovely."

Daedryth (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2016

For Anxiety: "This drug is great but the side effects outweigh the benefits. After taking this medication for a couple of months, the anxiety definitely stopped. I felt a lot more laid back and confident. However, horrible side effects settled in... First of all, I gained a lot of weight very quickly. I didn't even change my eating habits. In a year, I gained about 20 kg or 40 lbs. I didn't even do anything different. In fact, my eating habits became healthier. Second of all, I developed chronic constipation. The constipation led to hemorrhoids, which are very painful and annoying. I drank a ton of water and I took some laxatives but nothing helped! Third of all, my sex drive went away. It felt like I was castrated. This was highly irritating! Overall, I think that this medication should be a tool to help you cure your anxiety, it should not be a solution. I stopped taking it after a year and I still feel laid back and relaxed, although the constipation is still present! If you can find another way to relieve your anxiety, it's even better. With this drug, you get what you want but "something's gotta give"."

admadm (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I've been taking Paxil 20 mg since 2003, I've tried to wean off of it, but why? I noticed on Paxil, I am happier, I don't worry as much, I don't get anxiety, no panic attacks. Yes you will have terrible side effects weaning off and even after the fact, like I did. But we must keep in mind why we started taking it in the first place. So take it from me, stay on them if you need them, just because you are feeling great and back to your happy self doesn't mean you need to get off of this wonderful medication. Good Luck...."

maryl3 June 15, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I've been on this for a couple months now it has helped but one issue all I do is sleep."

Bonecrusher (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2016

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Am able to drive around town way better, but not on freeways or bridges. Sometimes feel dizzy when tired or overexerting. Doing more fun stuff"

June1978 June 12, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Seemed to be working only for the first 6 months then it slowly stopped working and I had to go through incredibly hard withdrawal symptoms."

Filip147 June 11, 2016

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I started taking this medication for anxiety and panic disorder. I felt like I was taking a placebo. It did nothing for me. I have since switched to Wellbutrin xl 150 mg and have never felt better!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2016

For Depression: "Paxil did not work for me unfortunately. I was between 20-30mg and it made my depression worse amd gave me hot flashes. Completely killed any sex drive. Would cry insanely for no reason at all."

alex05cubs (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "* Reminder, everyone's experience is different and you won't know how this medication works for you until you try it.* I'm 18 and used to suffer from severe social and general anxiety, and mild depression. I've had a bad past with antidepressants but I decided to try Paxil (20mg) because I was desperate. My anxiety is 95% gone, I'm wanting to be more social, and I'm happy all of the time! I don't worry anymore and it's amazing. There are some side effects (which were terrible the first week but reduced with time); headaches, reduced libido, tiredness, smaller apetite {I'm thankful for this one}, and insomnia. Paxil works amazing for my anxiety and I'm so happy I tried it. I'm making new friends and I think I'll secure a job soon :)."

Whistlescript (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I've recently gotten off a 2.5 year paxil treatment for my social anxiety. My main issue was sweaty face/body and red face breakout. I was first perscribed 20mg but as nothing changed after 2 months I was put on 40mg. It certainly helped. I was quiet tired in the beginning but it got better. I felt the side effects as I gained over 10kg in the past 1.5, and also I didn't have much of a sex drive and almost impossible to orgasm (I'm Male). Regardless though it helped my life for the better. Unfortunately stopping recently was a bad idea, my anxiety has returned along with a certain feel of depression. I'll be returning to paxil starting tomorrow with 20mg, and see how it goes. Regardless of the side effects etc, it did help me in my life."

Phtoa (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 2, 2016