User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Paxil, Paxil CR, Brisdelle, Pexeva

Paroxetine has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 1,286 ratings on Drugs.com. 62% of those users who reviewed Paroxetine reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety
Dysautonomia  Off-label
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 7.1 1,286 reviews

Reviews for Paroxetine

Mumof3 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 14, 2021

For Depression: “It was good at treating my depression (still is) helped with anxiety and had few side effects. EVERYONE that takes this needs to be aware how difficult it is to come off it. For me the withdrawal we so bad I'm stuck in it. Plus I've been slowly gaining more weight and its impossible to lose it. It messes with blood sugar levels and causes cravings for carbs. Fact! So to some up, take it if you don't mind taking it forever and being a bit overweight”

Ad · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 13, 2021

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “It really helped me. I've been functioning with anxiety for a while but it has always held me back from major life goals. I used to Effexor but it turned me into a zombie. Years later, I went on 20mg of Paxil and it's like I'm becoming a better person. I'm more outgoing, I have the energy to do things and pursue my passions. I actually enjoy going out and living life in general. I did have some side effects like nausea, upset stomach, and headaches but it went away the first week.”

KB · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 9, 2021

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I dealt with PMDD for as long as I could remember. I was miserable. Felt bipolar, suicidal thoughts, hated myself, horrible moodiness and anger etc. Finally went on this medication and night and day! I took the 10mg at first and it definitely helped but felt like I needed just a lil more. On 25 mg CR and I feel like a normal person again! I did gain weight on it which stunk but honestly, life didn't feel like it was worth living without the med. I'll take weight gain over PMDD symptoms any day! Literal life saver.”

Jacob1985 January 19, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “For all of you writing your bad experiences on here really need to rethink the purpose of your post. Writing about an experience that is short of something you would see in an exorcism movie (head spinning, projectile vomiting, sweating, hyperventilating etc.) Be careful. You are posting in a forum of people who have diagnosed anxiety and they turn to the Internet and read these posts, that more than likely are exaggerated, breeding greater anxiety or worse making someone not take the medication. The medication was prescribed for a reason with hundreds of millions of dollars in research spent in studying it. Ranging from bacterial study to small animal study to large animal study to human trials etc. This medication is very safe.”

TyreseTl · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2021

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: “This medication has been very potent to improve my anxiety/depression disorders. No more suicidal thoughts, fear, mood swings, shaking, sweating, anxiety(SAD & GAD), and the list goes on. If you're suffering from severe anxiety and depression, then take the Paxil. I am taking 40mg max dose with no side effects. I added BuSpar on top of Paxil and my anxiety has reduced “tremendously”. Some people do have problems with BuSpar but I have great results and I’m loving it. I take 20mg/a day. Life is so great, don’t let your anxiety/depression ruin your life. You’re strong and brave. Please get help. ❤️”

Hope989 · Taken for 10 years or more September 26, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “I took Paxil for 19 years and it relieved my anxiety and depression. I gained 40 lbs over those 19 years but I was happy. In May I decided to try Lexapro and sure enough I've lost 25 lbs. But at the expense of anxiety and depression returning. My Dr increased dosage from 10 -20 mg 5 weeks ago and now I can't sleep. I'm going back to Paxil, I'd rather be fat and happy, than skinny and depressed!!”

Kjls · Taken for 10 years or more February 4, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “I started Paxil over 15 years ago after an unexplained bout with extreme anxiety and depression that did not respond to hypnosis, yoga, nothing!!! After trying a few other meds that didn't work, my dr suggested Paxil. When I first started it I also took Klonopin for the horrible anxiety. Within about 6 weeks I totally felt the dark cloud disappear so I went off Klonopin. I have never had to increase my dose!! I'm still on 10 mg, 15 years later. I tried weaning off of it 3 times already and each time I would get really weepy and depressed, so I've decided to stay on it!! Yes, I've gained weight but that is nothing in comparison to how I was feeling prior to being on Paxil”

LongTimeSufferer August 9, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “Took 6 to 8 weeks for this to kick in fully. I suffered from severe generalized anxiety and agoraphobia. It was hard to do anything. I was in constant fear of my heart rate going high, not being able to get medical attention in certain situations and overall anxiety levels through the roof. I've tried Citalopram (Celexa) 20, 40 and 60mg and didn't work, Effexor and didn't work, Buspar and didn't work. Xanax helps and Klonopin helps. Out of those two I prefer Klonopin but they aren't meant for long term and only used them when I was really desparate. I've been on 20mg of Paroxetine (Paxil) for 4 months now and it's like I never had anxiety. I'm able to go on trips planes, cab rides, busses. I'm able to go outside and enjoy myself. I started golfing again which I love. I'm able to go to the gym and exercise and not freak out that my heart rate is high and start having a panic attack. I'm able to just live life without being in constant fear state.”

Trish · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 11, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “Was so anxious about taking this medication due to all of the horrible reviews. It seemed like I couldn’t stop Goggling about it because I just wanted to find someone that had a good experience. Well I have! I went on Paxil for almost two years and it helped me not only get back to myself but a better self. I never gained weight because I exercised few times a week and I never had the crazy side effects. If your thinking of going on Paxil I would highly suggest it. I also did not get the horrible side effects while weaning off. My anxiety was a little high but nothing crazy. I am hoping this helps someone out there because I understand the frustration of reading all of these horrible reviews for the mediation your trying to go on :-/ I did have a bad experience with a medication but I was only on it for two days and got off It right away. You need to do what your body tells you. Never stay on something that makes you feel crappy.”

Anonymous February 22, 2010

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: “In the sea of negative reviews which I read before starting Paxil, I saw few positive ones even though I know that there are many, many people for whom this drug has worked wonders. I am one of those people. Diagnosed with severe depression and generalized anxiety disorder, my doctor started me on 10mg/day and despite minor, minor nausea for the initial 2 weeks, I have not had side effects. My anxiety and depression were vastly improved within that 2-4 week window and I began to feel like my old self. I have experienced no discernible effects on my sex drive, which is a big negative side effect for many reviewers. This drug seems to have been tailor-made for me, I am thankful for its availability, and hope this review helps someone!”

Chris_m · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “Hi everyone. I have a question. I feel very sad, depressed and above all anxious... I went to the ER here in my country because I was convinced something was really wrong with me At the ER they checked my heart, my blood pressure and everything was fine. My doctor wants me to start Paxil, I took it for three days already, and I have Xanax for when it gets worse. My question to you all is; how do u cope until the Paxil starts to work? Thank you in advance.”

bbm23242 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “I've been prescribed and taking Paxil for about 3 months now. At first I was nervous about because of the reviews on it saying there would be no sex life and I'm currently in a relationship and have been for 2 years. I'm taking Paxil for anxiety. My sex life hasn't changed at all. Paxil has completely taken away my anxiety and I feel awesome. Give it a shot.”

Kenadams00 · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: “I have always felt like something was wrong for as long as I can remember. I think my depression is just normal to me and I've probably been depressed for many years without even knowing, just a feeling that something isn't right. A failed relationship a while back, heightened my realisation that something is wrong and the pain of losing someone close was like a final straw for me. I guess it might be true that everyone comes into your life for a reason, even if it is only meant to be for a short time. After countless months and days googling and doing tests online, trying to figure out what might be wrong with me, I finally got the courage to go see my doctor. After a few visits, he prescribed me Paxil and thinks this might help get me on the right track. You see my depression isn't the usual in that I try to go about my daily life as normal as I can, it's called walking or smiling depression. Behind it all though, I'm crippled with self doubt, negative thoughts, anxiety and constant feeling of sadness. I feel guilty a lot, distance myself from my family and friends regularly and sometimes feel so down I cry for what seems like no reason at all. I put on brave face to people and go about daily life as best I can, but behind the mask I am suffering. I never really felt like I fit in and it's like I have to try to act to be happy in every day situations. It's hard to describe, but it's almost like I'm standing behind my shadow. I always look at other people and wonder what it's like to be just happy. I could never bring myself to telling anyone how I really felt, I guess it's only the last year or so that I became more aware and really accepting that something isn't right. It's been so long that I have felt this way, I really don't know what normal is anymore. I have lost 2 girlfriends largely due to my low self esteem and low confidence finally taking its toll on the relationship, it's like I just expected them to leave, who would want to stay with a loser like me is how I portrayed myself to them.. That's probably the hardest pill to swallow through all this. I know if I was mentally stronger, I could have held on to something good. I know I have it in me to go change my life around. Everybody sees it in me, but I feel trapped in my own body and mind. I have a lot of trouble concentrating and I seem to always be so indecisive about what action to take. I guess I'm wondering what I can expect from taking Paxil. I know I'm the only one who can physically make changes, but can I expect to regain some self confidence and motivation, energy etc? I really don't know what to expect from this drug and am apprehensive about what it can actually do for me. I guess part of me just wants to try do everything by myself, but I really don't want to waste another second of my life. I feel like I haven't properly lived for at least the last 5 years of my life. Thank you for reading.”

Jesussavior74 March 6, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “I've been on Paxil 10mg for 18 years, I used to have severe panic attacks and general anxiety disorder. This has helped me live my life, anxiety is a debilitating sickness that interferes with everything you do in life, but only the people who have it can understand that, I recommend it to anyone who has anxiety.”

A · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 22, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “Saved my life, literally. I have very high functioning anxiety and my mind would never stop, and I had come to conclusion after trying several antidepressants that was just who I was. Then I developed SI, depression, and found no pleasure in anything. I was miserable and I tortured myself constantly. At my breaking point with SI when I could no longer trust myself, I talked to my PCP and was prescribed Paxil 20mg. My entire life has changed. I have never known a quiet mind my whole adult life. I am happy and peaceful for the first time ever. I have to exercise a lot to combat sugar cravings, but I do not dread exercise and enjoy it now. I still have trouble sleeping, which I always have had, but other than that, this drug has been a miracle for me.”

Ken · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 5, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “After years and years of trying and failing with different medications, my doctor finally recommended paroxetine for my anxiety. No side effects unless I DON'T take it, no groggy feeling or haze over my memories anymore. I can function without feeling tired out half way through the day, I don't get dry mouth, I don't gain weight on this medication. All of which have been an issue with other meds in the past. Im very grateful to have found this.”

FeelingGreat · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 27, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “I developed an extreme anxiety disorder inside my own home. Every day, my anxiety was at a constant 8/10, and if an 'event' occurred, it would become an anxiety attack (10 /10). I was prescribed Klonopin & fluoxetine (which I'd successfully taken before for depression). This lasted NINE MONTHS. My therapist was giving me useful tools to use to conquer the anxiety, however my symptoms were too high for them to be effective. My prescribing doctor switched me to Paxil/paroxetine and it changed my life. Within 2-3 weeks my constant anxiety leveled out to a 3 or lower and I was better able to use the tools to conquer any spike in anxiety. Paxil helped me to take back control of my life. Anxiety no longer owns me!”

TJ August 1, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: “Paxil has been life-changing. I've suffered crippling social anxiety for as long as I can remember. I've been on all kinds of combinations of SSRI's from age 16 to about 25. After a couple years on nothing, I decided to give it another try. My doctor put me on Paxil. I started on 10mg for two weeks, then upped it to 20mg for a two weeks then 30mg and 40mg. After a couple weeks on 40mg I was starting to give up hope. After about 12 weeks, I decided it didn't work and was ready to stop usage. I knew the withdrawals were pure hell, so I wanted to taper off very slowly, then one night I woke up and had this incredible sense of well-being. It was like all my anxiety and depression had suddenly disappeared. Since that moment all my anxiety has been gone. I have no idea why it took 3 months before I noticed anything, but when I did, it was profound. The drug has saved my life. I'm so glad I didn't stop before that 12 week mark. I would have never known the miracle this med has given me.”

Leeh · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2021

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: “I started taking paroxetine 10 mg 2 weeks ago, and I am so happy that I did because I feel like my self again. I was on paroxetine 15 years ago due to a difficult time in my life. I did go off of the medication after 8 years, and felt fine. Back on it now due to some life stressors, and it has worked wonderful with my anxiety, panic episodes, and mild depression. I had very minor side effects in the first 1 week. So, I am so grateful for this medication because it truly has helped considerably, and I am hoping to see more results within the 4-6 week period. Best Luck!”

GregoryJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2021

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “Not everybody is going to have the same sensitivity to this drug Paroxetine. I was timid to start the drug, and started with 10mg. My Psychiatrist told me to do 20mg otherwise I'd only be messing around with it. I did the 20mg... nothing. We put it up to 30mg, then 40mg. As it's a reuptake inhibitor, you need to have serotonin in your body for this stuff to work with. So we added Mirtazapine 30mg to the mix. Still nothing until a couple of weeks later about week 8, then it started to improve how I talk to and mix with other people. A few brain zaps are happening now but they are fun and they happen when I would normally have started to melt down in a panic attack. I'm not sure how long I'll be on this stuff 40mg seems a lot. It's not as weak as water but it's not much better. :)”

magcook August 8, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I have always suffered from anxiety and obsessive thoughts,but with in the last year it took a turn for the worse. I had a job loss and couldn't sleep for almost two weeks and in turn starting getting panic attacks. Then intrusive thoughts, I truly thought I was losing my mind. I was scared all the time and hopeless. I went to a therapist and this did help, I also got out on effexor 70 mg daily. I never thought I was going to get better. I started paxil three weeks ago, 20 mg. It has truly changed my life. I feel like me again. I'm writing this in hopes that someone who reads this that feels hopeless and scared doesn't give up. There is help, hang in there. If I could do it, so can you.”

IrishKat November 24, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “Let me start off by saying that NOT EVERYONE reacts the same way to the same medication. NOW that being said, Paxil was a LIFE SAVER for me! I am 30 now, and I started taking Paxil when I was 19. The first medication Dr. tried for me was Zoloft, which made my Anxiety get SO much worse! I was terrified to being with feeling CONSTANT WORRY, fast heartbeat, racing thoughts. So after 3 days of Zoloft I quit, went back to my doctor and we tried Paxil. IT SAVED MY LIFE, I felt the unneeded worries of the world lift off of my back, racing thoughts stopped, my heartbeat slowed, I could organize my thoughts. It was like I had calmed down for the first time in my life AND IT WORKED IN HOURS FOR ME(don't expect same results, but you never know!).”

kay · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 7, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have been taking Paxil for a little over 2 years now. I first started out with 20mg, my dose is now 50 mg. Paxil has been heaven sent for me. I went from worrying, being paranoid, to chronic tearful moments to being calm and handle every day life so much better. I was afraid of taking it at first, after reading the side effects. Only side effects that I experienced was the sweating, which had subsided in a little over 6 months. Taking this medication has helped me become the best version of myself that I could be. Strongly recommend.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: “I was prescribed this about 10 yrs ago and I cannot remember why I was taken off it and put on Sertraline. However since then my social anxiety has been debilitating even on the highest dose Of sertraline. I was thinking and trying to remember a really relaxed happy time and I remembered the paroxetine period. My whole life since then has been gripped by fear and anxiety and fear of scrutiny I rang my Dr and asked if I could try it again. He was a bit reluctant because of the withdrawal problems but agreed. My goodness, I am SO thankful, within a week the anxiety and constant fear and tension had gone. It is amazing and I have my life back again !!! My heart is singing with joy and the release is so fantastic. THANK YOU PAXIL, I have a future !!”

trinigirl · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 11, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “I have been taking Paxil for the past 5 years and it makes me feel great I do not get any anxiety attacks since I started one thing that helps me is the support of my husband and exercise and good eating habits. Theses things assist with living a more richer and happier life. I do not intend on stopping because the good out ways the bad.”

Skye · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: “Seems like a lot of people have a good experience with Paxil and I really wish I could say the same. I took it for about 2.5 months and had chronic diarrhea the whole time which only seemed to get worse as time went on. And of course the usual sexual side effects that come with SSRIs. I couldn't handle it anymore, having diarrhea for that long just left me feeling very sick all the time. So I tapered off which is where things have gone from bad to worse. I've never had a problem coming off of any type of medication in my life but this is HORRIBLE. Brain zaps, nightmares, highly increase depression and crying spells. This stuff is freaking poison to my body. I would never recommend this to anyone.”

Hope4u · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “About 6-8 weeks ago my doc prescribed 10 mg paxil (Now up to 20 mg) & 0.25 Xanax. The first few weeks I was very, very fatigued! But since I was depressed, I was okay with sleeping the rest of the day after returning home from school. I did experience headaches, nausea, increased anxiety (Xanax helped alleviate anxiety). Within the last 2 weeks, I haven't taken Xanax, my anxiety has dramatically decreased! Depression has also decreased. A few months ago I was scared to leave the house, be around people, an emotional wreck, no motivation to work out. Now I'm happy to go to school, exercise, and be social again. Keep praying and hang in there! ”

Va June 24, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: “Only been taken PAXIL for a week but I can tell you that my anxiety and depression are greatly improved! I haven’t gained weight except for the 5 lbs I needed to gain! Hope you hang in there because it is been very good for me!”