User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Trichotillomania 1 reviews 3 medications

7.1
Postmenopausal Symptoms 2 reviews 202 medications

Summary of Paroxetine reviews 708 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Paroxetine

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I was on 40mg for months and I noticed absolutely nothing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "A miracle drug for me after taking this med it gave.me the courage and strength to get up and do things it made me see things in a different way..ive been off and on with this med for four years now its the only antidepressant that works for me my anxiety completely went away and i feel like i can go threw with thing called life.."

Anonymous September 25, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "I became extremely emotional, depressed and anxious. Woke up throughout the night sweating and had nightmares when i did manage to sleep. This did not help my hotflashes. I couldn't tolerate it and immediately stopped taking it."

NothappyinGA (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "Started on 10mg. It helped my anxiety a lot, but I would HAVE to take naps during the day or I couldn't function. That improved after several months. I upped the dose to 20mg. I forgot what it was like to have social anxiety. It was wonderful. The downside to this is that I gained 45 pounds in those 11 months. I'm 5'5. I went from 115 to 160. I've never had issues with weight. I've always had trouble GAINING weight. I didn't want to gain this much. No change in my exercise routine or eating habits. I had to go off of it because it was destroying my self esteem and causing depression. The withdrawals were hell, but I'm gradually losing the weight I gained now that I'm off of it. I'm so disappointed, but hopefully I can find another med."

UsneaDecay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I suffer from generalized anxiety, and my phichiatrist prescribed me 10mg Paxil even though I already take 25mg of seroquel. I took it on Friday Morning was good all day. I took it on Saturday, I was a bit sluggish. Sunday morning I took it at church I felt a sudden cold sensation of the back of my head and down my back. I had to leave early because I started to feel weird. Around 3am I woke up feeling scared out my mind for no reason. I couldn't go back to sleep. The next day I spend all day anxious than at night after I took the seroquel. I was still anxious I laid down and started getting sleepy. My husband was holding me and when I opened my eyes a few seconds later my entire body was tingling. It was one of the worst feelings ever."

Beyshie September 13, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I was on this drug for a long time and the only thing I can report is that I felt like a zombie most of the time, was so tired that I could barely function ( lost my job as a result of it ), and had absolutely no desire for sex whatsoever. I rarely felt that I was thoroughly enjoying anything that was going on in my life, it completely numbed me out to a traumatic experience that I should have been dealing with and as a result of being on it I did not fully process that experience until getting off of the medication... That and the withdrawal symptoms were debilitating, and terrible. Brain zaps are not a fun experience and they were bad with this one."

Ang.S (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Paxil is going to effect everyone differently. What worked great for me, may be the worst medication you've ever tried. I've been on Paxil for 20 years and for a large majority of those years, Paxil really helped me with my anxiety. I've been back and forth between 15-30mg many times. I never had any major side effects from it (not libido, not weight gain). The thing with Paxil is, there's the potential for what's called "Paxil poop out" (yes, it's real, Google it) where the Paxil stops being effective. I was completely unaware of this so I was totally blindsided with debilitating anxiety and horrible panic attacks out of nowhere one day. I was really bummed because Paxil had done so much good for me. It's a great med when it works."

Mr. Anxious (taken for 10 years or more) September 6, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "Been on Paxil since 2012. All in all there has been good and bad like any medication. Some side effects people complain about like tiredness and appetite increase for me have been to my advantage. Anxiety robbed me of my appetite and sleep. It has helped me with my social anxiety in ways other media didn't. It actually made me want to be more sociable and made me finally see how small my fears were which I made out to be so unreal. Anyways now I don't fear public places or people anymore I feel normal as I would call It!"

Canadian4Life (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 6, 2016

For Depression: "I was put on paroxetine for anxiety and depression and it has helped me so much! I first started out on lexapro which caused me horrible insomnia and suicial thoughts. Which led my doctor to putting me on this medicine instead. It took my body about 3 months to start seeing improvements but I stuck with it and I'm happy I did. My anxiety has gone down significally and my depression has for the most part subsided. I have my days, but who doesn't. I didn't expect medicine to cure it. I first started taking this medicine around dinner time because it makes you feel drowsy, but once my body got used to it, I've been taking it around noon. So glad my doctor prescribed me this medicine. I feel as if I can fully enjoy life now."

Juschu (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2016

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was prescribed Paxil CR 12.5 for GAD which was mostly situational. I cannot tell you how awful of an experience it was for me. My anxiety went through the roof to the point I didn't want to leave home which is not like me at all. I became very depressed which I wasn't to start out with. Crying uncontrollably. Pacing and restless, could NOT sit still. Went from 140 pounds to 124 in 3 weeks. No appetite, intrusive/racing/all negative thoughts, couldn't sleep for more than an hour or two at a time, paranoid, confused, no concentration, no motivation, sweating, constant diarrhea, jaw clenching, stomach pains, body aches, dry mouth, yawning and dizziness. After 25 days on this med my doctor pulled the plug because I was better before it."

Ericka1234 August 31, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Started Paroxetine 1 week ago. No changes so far. I'm very tired and drowsy during the day."

Nir August 30, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "This medication has almost gotten rid of my anxiety. I was suffering for 2 years till I decided to go on medication. My doctor put me on 20mg of paroxatine and I noticed a difference in 2 weeks. I was able to go to the shops without feeling like I was going to have a panic attack. I've been on it for 6 months now and I can eat out in public sometimes which is a huge step for me as I was too scared to even think about food before. I would reccomend this to anyone who is desperate to get out of their anxiety. I feel so much happier and can enjoy life so much more now. The only problem I have with this medication is it has made me gain 20kg of weight! I'm trying hard to lose it but it is very hard to lose."

Ash1234 August 30, 2016

Brisdelle (paroxetine) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "I have been on Brisdelle for 3 yrs now at first it was the wonder drug.. hot flashes gone and I didnt want to kill anybody...but now I think its not working as well... But I decided to look up the side effects recently , and found out I have alot of it. the blur vision(fog) frequent bowels, Headaches and joint pain... well my dr is taking me off of it ..."

so hot (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Was prescribed this at around 16-17 yrs old, for social and generalized anxiety. It did work well, but the excessive sweating and my father's anti-med nagging made me try and quit. I had only been taking it for like 5 months and I felt like I'd been addicted for years. Brain zaps, constant lethargy, extreme and unwarranted moods; these symptoms lasted an entire month, despite my short usage time. I'm upset that this was the first thing they tried, on a 17 yr old complaining about social anxiety and the occasional panic attack... That month was the worst I've ever felt, if I wasn't a teen without responsibilities or took it for longer, I don't think I could've ever gotten off of it. Read withdrawal stories before starting Paxil."

Jo79341 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "Taking 10 mg* Paroxetine for hot flashes and night sweats. The first day I took it I saw results that night. The only side effect that I've noticed is occassional nausea."

Stephanie G. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I was prescribed Paxil for situational depression that was pretty severe, merging on PTSD. (I went through a really bad relationship breakup that was traumatic) I also had GAD (general anxiety). I took Paxil for about 8 weeks. It started working right away and I felt so much better I'd say within a day or two. I slept better and woke in the morning without massive anxiety and intrusive thoughts and my depression began to lift. BUT I gained a whopping 20 pounds in the 8 weeks I was on Paxil. It was so awful that I had the doctor wean me off of it . I thought once it was out of my system that the weight would slowly come off but it didn't - I gained another 10 lbs. I think Paxil messes with your metabolism. Will NEVER take it again."

46yrold August 18, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "51yo healthy female. Minor pre menopausal signs periodic mood swings, tiredness. Prescribed Paxil 10 mgs. Severe bouts of exhaustion, heart palpitations, breathing anomalies, sexual disfunction, felt like zombie. Slept 2 days. Quit meds day 6. 16 days from quitting feel horrible. Severely depressed, anxious, tired, (never have felt anxious or depressed prior). Still sleep too much, experience outrageous wildly abnormal mood swings, have neglected my work, my house, my pets, my friends & exercise (was running 5 miles daily prior, now do nothing) Still experience breathing abnormalities. Better each day yet unable to function normally. Life & business in ruins, cry constantly. Nightmarish experience. Feel like I may never be the same again."

Eli Mae August 16, 2016

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I have started taking Paxil CR 12.5 mg six months ago, for my stuttering and fear of talking. In the beginning I felt slightly down and kind of panicky, but after 1 week those bad feelings went away completely. It has helped me a lot. I can say that my stuttering has improved. I am 80% fluent most of the time and even if I stutter I don't care that much anymore. I also feel closer to people and more confident in general. I feel happier also, and lost 4 kg due to the appetite loss and feeling full earlier. Sex drive has decreased a bit, but it does not interfere in my relationship. Somedays I get bursts of anger over small things. It has also cured my insomnia. Sometimes I feel dizzy but it is not bad and goes away fast."

Drexil August 14, 2016

For Depression: "The drug removed some of the empty 'raw' feeling lonely feeling about life, as well as intrusive wincing thoughts. I find it pretty sedating, can sleep through the weekend if not carefull. Creates a kind of careless numb feeling toward everything, but that can be better than the alternative. For the first few weeks I remember it can increase anxiety a little, have heard many people quit cause of this, and sleeplessness at start. I wonder how bad they really were to start, I kept going because I couldnt go back, reminding myself how it was before starting. Five years seem to drift by, yes it makes life easier, but probabally removes some of the motivation to change, complacency sets in."

hhjjjiijknkk89 August 13, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I am 21 years old and I have had sever anxiety and OCD for 5 years. I almost didn't graduate high school and almost lost my job because I couldn't even get out of bed or leave the comfort of my own home so I resorted to medicine. I was also dealing with a slight depression at the time and so my doctor recommended Paxil to me and for 2 years I have been on the 10mlg dose and it works wonders! The only negative thing that I have to say about it is that I don't feel like I have a lot of energy and it made me gain 50lbs..I attempted to get off and with counseling deal with my anxiety on my own and went through extreme withdraws, (brain spasms!!, mood swings, depression.) I love this stuff it changed my life but it sucks coming off of it."

Natalie103 August 10, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I personally WILL NEVER recommend Paxil to ANYONE. It literally ruined my life. At first, I felt that it was ok. But, quickly and suddenly, I started gaining weight. ALOT of weight. Literally, my pants fit one week and did not fix the next week. And that wasn't all. I was feeling much worse. I was very manic. So depressed that I could not get out of bed. My life was work, eat, and sleep. I had no motivation and I started fixating on thoughts of suicide. It wasn't until the unexplained rapid weight gain that I started to ask myself what had changed in my routine. That's when I realized that Paxil was the newest addition to my life and I began doing research. I've been off of it for about 2 months and I still can't lose the weight."

Jenna6281 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

For Depression: "In comparison to cipralex, which I was on for about 6 months, paroxetine is extremely effective for me. Cipralex put me to sleep, however, I have no adverse effects on paroxetine and feel so much better on the drug. I would say the drug brings me to a state of balance. Not happy, but not sad either and I can live with that. My only concern is that I have gained about 15 pounds in 5 months due to the fact that I eat far more calories than I burn off. I hate the weight gain and my body feels foreign to me with the extra weight, but even so, my mood is so much better I'll take it."

Mindy89 August 9, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have always been an anxious person. I'm a musician who performs a lot and have been taking Xanax for performing anxiety. About a month ago I went home to visit my family and started having really bad anxiety attacks that would happen every day. My heart would start racing, palpitations, hyperventilation and numbness in my arms. Every single time I thought that it was the end of my life and I was waiting for my heart to stop. I went and got blood tests and all was fine. Saw a cardiologist and my heart is ok.( I have bradycardia with rbm under 50). I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed seroxat(peroxetine) 10 mg before bed. It has been 2 weeks and I'm starting to feel better. Haven't had another panic attack. no side effects either."

Dienush August 7, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "It makes me tired"

source (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Everyone's experience WILL be different. I have experienced anxiety all my life, but no depression. A medium to low dose of Paxil has normalized me. My previous extreme fear of nautiousness and throwing up has been quelled. Ativan and Xanax are fine as a temp solution (say for flying), but Pax has provided me with a normal level of anxiety. I give Paxil 5 stars, but only if you feel anxiety along with some OCD. Depression, bipolar, might require something else."

Tim Pittsburgh August 5, 2016