User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was prescribe this medication for anxiety, and it worked. I had panic attacks on the nyc subway before taking the medication but when I was on it really helped me to gain a normal life. I was on it for about 8 months then my doctor decided to take me off it cause my life became organized. That was the worst experience ever, coming off paxil was the hardest thing ever, and I recommend when you come off it to taper down very slowly because it just was absolutely hell. This drug does help but it's addictive and hard to come off. Also I gained about 30 pounds on it. I'd recommend the medication if you are having panic attacks, but for general anxiety disorders I would ask to try something else before paxil."

Beckham NYC August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Hello! I want to tell others that being on Paxil 10 mg. for a few months now has helped me to center myself once again. My life is filled with other people's issues, depression, anger, and discord in their own lives that have depressed me. Situational depression is, in my life, a constant. I just do not have happy people around me and the doctor tells me they are making me "sick". My doctor saw me with high anxiety and worry that was causing me to retreat from daily life. His advice was to try Paxil to give me some relief! Now, how to get the others around me to get therapy and help..."

mareandbosco August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking paxil 20mg but I just started I'm in five days and I only take 1/2 before bed and at first it was great now I'm still experiencing panic attacks and finding my self crying and seeing and hearing things why did it stop working or what should I do I'm suppose to take 1/2 for seven days then after take the whole one every nite do I need a upper dose or it's not for me IDK what to do some one please let me know what to do"

Anonymous July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Paxil definitely works....... but I went from 120lbs to 148lbs in 6 months... for some, this may not bother them since the medicine does actually work. But for me, I can't deal with it! I've never changed my eating habits, and I get plenty of exercise. My weight have never changed besides a lb here and there for YEARS. It's no doubt this medicine will make you gain weight... you just have to choose whether this side effect outweighs the benefits or not."

EmJReynolds (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "The worst possible anti-anxiety medication ever. 14 years of taking it. Not only did it do the opposite of what it was supposed to do, but I became a horrible person to be around. High one day, down the bottom the other, irrational, fearless to a scary point, extreme in everything I did. the side effects were horrific and it took me 3 years to temper it down to stop taking it....But wait; 2 years after quitting this shit, serious side effects came back to haunt me in a terrible way...Yes; 2 years after I stopped taking Paxil. Please, Google Paxil side effects; many people have had the same problem! Stay away from this stuff. Banned in most of Europe for obvious reasons."

Dajo (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi guys, I was prescribed paroxetine for general anxiety disorder, paranoia and depression. The drug didn't take effect until about 2 weeks which I quickly was relieved from my symptoms. However I spent a further 2 weeks feeling severe side effects- dizziness, further anxiety, difficulty sleeping and waking up, vivid dreams, lack of orgasm during sex, blurred vision and almost grinning as if I was on uppers.. though these side effects did pass I now only have vivid dreams and occasional nightmares... this drug has worked so well for me and I now feel back to my old self again happy everyday, my anxiety and paranoia have completely gone, I strongly suggest giving it a go but it may not work for everyone as you can read:) LOVE LIFE!!!"

Connora92 June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've only been on paxil for 8 days but my side effects are minimal. I started on 5 mg and am moving to 10mg today. Fingers crossed that this works. So far this has been the best in minimal side effects compared to others I have taken"

Schmutz84 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I am a long time (near 25 years) Paxil user. Some of your new users need to give it a chance before making an assessment. I had some of those side effects early on-they were no big deal and they all went away over time. Bottom line, I suffered from lifelong severe depression-Paxil literally stopped me from taking my own life. On Anxiety, the result has not been as positive, but perhaps I need to increase my dosage? I'll talk to my physician on that. If you're mainly depressed I heartily endorse Paxil, it reduces depression with minimal side effects. It's a wonder drug in my book!"

Bronco Philly April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take Paroxetine (Paxil) 10mg/day. I have Anxiety, OCD & I suffer from daily migraines. Paroxetine has cured me of migraines. When I started the medication I noticed after only the 2nd day I wasn't getting headaches. I have also noticed an increase in my general well-being, feeling allot happier and more confidant, It has helped tremendously with my OCD & I have less anxiety although it is still there, It's not as severe & I have not had any panic attacks. I also haven't noticed any side effects which is rare for an SSRI drug. I'm still early on the medication (only 1 month) so although migraines and OCD has improved, I think I'll see an even better improvement on anxiety as well over time."

101forumsguy (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have had great success with Paxil. These personal comments we leave should really be considered with a 'grain of salt'. There are so many unknown variables which dictate success of a drug on one person and failure with the same drug on another person. If you read through the thread of helpful comments here you will see that there is the need to be very candid with your health care provider and be ready to try different medications until you find satisfaction. These medications DO WORK. You just have to find the right one for you. Have faith. You will find the right med for you. Life is amazing and will go on and get better!! Never give up. Every day is a new chance."

SeanfromCanada January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had withdrawal symptoms and interactions on other meds and had to come off, I had GAD but got panic attacks during that process that I could not shake off despite CBT helping somewhat. I was scared starting Paroxetine but had a good rapport with my Doctor who thought it would help me after much discussion. I took Paroxetine with my breakfast. 10mg at first now 20mg. The 20mg after a few weeks helped switch panic attacks off and stopped me fixating on subjects. I still have my senses in tact am just not as anxious. I was considering higher dose but prefer to stay low. I have my mojo back at last! Female age 56"

Soul searcher (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "IT started in the spring of 1996. I began having stomach pains horribly EVERYDAY. Nausea. I had made a major life change in going into something with a 4 and 1 year old that I did not want to really do but my wife wanted BAD... By September of that year, I had become in such pain and lost 50lbs that my intern put me in the hospital for one week with EVERY test of the digestive system. Long story short, I left the hospital with a diagnosis of GAD and secondary IBS. Went home and didn't sleep one week, so doctor put me in a private mental home. They put me on 1mg klonopin and 20mg paxil and 50mg Trazadone for sleep. In 5 days, NO stomach problems at all. Ate 3 square meals, played ball, went to gymn. WAS ALIVE AGAIN!!!"

Anonymous January 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love this med although at first like the first I felt like a zombie no emotions whatsoever. It was like numb feelings wise for a day. As time passed my med helped my insomnia significantly. The insomnia had been affected my mood that caused me to have crying spells. Paroxetine definitely helped with these spells. Recently my dad passed away and my mom was scared that I would have a bad crisis but all I have is the normal grieving process. Thank Goodness because my mom needs me strong."

PAOLA ULLOA (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am taking 20mg of Paroxetine a day. I have only been taking it for one week but I am starting to feel a lot more positive. I don't feel as tired, I'm not comfort eating and I find myself in a better mood. I understand it has only been a week but I haven't felt this "up" on other SSRI's, my previous one being Sertraline which did not agree with me. My side effects have been a headache (for the first 3 days), constant dry mouth, trouble sleeping through the night, my jaw feels tight and lack of appetite. I also suffer from Trichotillomania, I have still found myself pulling eyelashes. It has only been a week so I hope I continue to improve."

KMH90 (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started Paxil a month ago I had no effects.Im on 40mg. It made me feel good after two weeks I was alot happier."

Tmv913 November 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Today is day three. I take 10mg. I was told to take half a pill at night for seven days then take the whole pill on day eight. I have to say, today is not a good day. I have been dizzy all morning. Will this ever go away? I am not feeling my best at all. When I take the pill I am very dizzy before bed. does anyone here have answers. How does this drug really work? I had a partial thyroid removal a year ago. I am constantly dizzy, my heart races, my pressure is up. Help anyone ... Please"

KitCat78 November 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "I was prescribed Paxil CR 12.5 for GAD which was mostly situational. I cannot tell you how awful of an experience it was for me. My anxiety went through the roof to the point I didn't want to leave home which is not like me at all. I became very depressed which I wasn't to start out with. Crying uncontrollably. Pacing and restless, could NOT sit still. Went from 140 pounds to 124 in 3 weeks. No appetite, intrusive/racing/all negative thoughts, couldn't sleep for more than an hour or two at a time, paranoid, confused, no concentration, no motivation, sweating, constant diarrhea, jaw clenching, stomach pains, body aches, dry mouth, yawning and dizziness. After 25 days on this med my doctor pulled the plug because I was better before it."

Ericka1234 August 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "February 2015 I had an overdose due to depression. I still haven't admitted I was depressed but the anxiety is real. I couldn't go to class when I did go to school. My stomach would go crazy and my mind wouldn't stop racing. I was then put on Paxil. I have been on it for a year and a half now and I'm trying to get off it. not that it isn't working for my anxiety but my emotions are uncontrollable when I try to get off it and when I am on it I feel like I'm just going. I find myself looking back on a week and not remembering a time I took to just chill and think. because Paxil thinks for me. I don't like that so I am trying to get off it."

Keyia 17 years old (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was sent to a psychologist for depression and anxiety when I was just 16. She put me on Paxil. It really saved my life. I was unable to sleep and soanxious I could enjoy nothing. After 20 years if feeling normal, although I did gain weight, I decided to wean myself because of the weight issue. Big mistake. I crashed due to stress and been in a state of extreme panic and anxiety for over a week. I can't eat and I lost 10 pounds in a week because I want to be sick all the time. Tried switching to Prozac which made it worse! I'm back to Paxil and I know it will help me again soon as it kicks in. In the mean time I am on Ativan. I wished I never stopped it. Works great for extreme anxiety and depression."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been meaning to write this for a couple of months now. I started getting really crippling panic attacks last year. from the panic attacks came mild agoraphobia and then the depression sunk in after not thinking i could help myself. I went through about 4 ssri's before being put on paxil. I can honestly say it has changed my life. I am 95% back to my old self and everyday i actually enjoy getting up. don let other peoples experiences with ssri's affect you. everyone reacts differently and there is definitely one out there that will work for you. In saying that there are 2 types of people with anxiety and depression, a person who does nothing, and a person who gets up and does everything about it. (I'm 21 by the way)"

jay22579 June 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was originally put on paxil 2 years ago in order to help me gain weight. After taking it for two weeks, with no noticeable effects (good or bad) I went to light a cigarette and almost threw up. It made me nauseous to even think about smoking. It also seemed to "cancel out" my ADHD medication Vyvanse. However, I still felt alert and awake without the stimulant vyvanse. I stupidly quit taking it after two weeks. I got back on it three weeks ago. So far, it greatly helps with anxiety, but kills my appetite. Not an ounce of weight gain. Side effects have been night sweats and jaw clenching, teeth grinding. It has not helped me feel alert and awake this second time around at all. Not sure why that is."

K.G. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was dealing with anxiety in college my junior year and so I decided to talk to my doctor about it and he prescribed Paxil. When I started taking it, my appetite increased, energy went down, my emotions were just monotonous like I couldn't feel anything. I also gained 15 pounds in 4 months which is not normal for me, especially since I had been working out and hadn't changed my eating habits at all. After being on this drug for 5 months, I am weaning myself off it and I am feeling a million times better. I would recommend a different drug if you are having problems with anxiety."

Anonymous May 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "Prior to getting on the aropax 12.5 I started having anxiety symptoms from nowhere. The meds have improved my quality of life quite a bit."

Zado 10111 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been taking Paxil since December of 2015. I started out on 10mg, which didn't do much for me, and then my doctor increased it to 20mg, which still was not enough to cease my anxiety. I have been taking 30mg of Paxil for about 4 months now and it has been great. My mood is extremely better and all of my friends and family notice a huge change. I'm a more pleasant person to be around, I don't have panic/anxiety attacks anymore, and I am able to do things that my anxiety didn't allow me to do before. However, when I first started taking Paxil, it gave me a lot of headaches, but they went away as I got used to it. Also, I have been having night sweats and it is hard for me to sleep sometimes, but other than that it is a great medication"

Ashley S April 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "After a few intense months of panic and high anxiety, I finally was brave enough to try this medication. I have tried other SSRIs in the past, but usually found them very agitating at the "normal" doses, so I have learned to start and stay very low. After a month of insomnia I finally decided to give Paxil a try. I started at 2.5mg. The first few days were fine, I felt sleepy and a bit lazy, but at least that was better than high-strung panic. At about a week, I started to experience some small benefits, and some fairly harsh side effects (nausea, diarrhea, derealization, increased panic). At a month, much better and I was sleeping well again. However, getting off this medication after 5 months was really challenging and uncomfortable."

jillybean2 November 28, 2015