User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Paxil (paroxetine): "February 2015 I had an overdose due to depression. I still haven't admitted I was depressed but the anxiety is real. I couldn't go to class when I did go to school. My stomach would go crazy and my mind wouldn't stop racing. I was then put on Paxil. I have been on it for a year and a half now and I'm trying to get off it. not that it isn't working for my anxiety but my emotions are uncontrollable when I try to get off it and when I am on it I feel like I'm just going. I find myself looking back on a week and not remembering a time I took to just chill and think. because Paxil thinks for me. I don't like that so I am trying to get off it."

Keyia 17 years old (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was sent to a psychologist for depression and anxiety when I was just 16. She put me on Paxil. It really saved my life. I was unable to sleep and soanxious I could enjoy nothing. After 20 years if feeling normal, although I did gain weight, I decided to wean myself because of the weight issue. Big mistake. I crashed due to stress and been in a state of extreme panic and anxiety for over a week. I can't eat and I lost 10 pounds in a week because I want to be sick all the time. Tried switching to Prozac which made it worse! I'm back to Paxil and I know it will help me again soon as it kicks in. In the mean time I am on Ativan. I wished I never stopped it. Works great for extreme anxiety and depression."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 26, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been meaning to write this for a couple of months now. I started getting really crippling panic attacks last year. from the panic attacks came mild agoraphobia and then the depression sunk in after not thinking i could help myself. I went through about 4 ssri's before being put on paxil. I can honestly say it has changed my life. I am 95% back to my old self and everyday i actually enjoy getting up. don let other peoples experiences with ssri's affect you. everyone reacts differently and there is definitely one out there that will work for you. In saying that there are 2 types of people with anxiety and depression, a person who does nothing, and a person who gets up and does everything about it. (I'm 21 by the way)"

jay22579 June 21, 2016

"I was originally put on paxil 2 years ago in order to help me gain weight. After taking it for two weeks, with no noticeable effects (good or bad) I went to light a cigarette and almost threw up. It made me nauseous to even think about smoking. It also seemed to "cancel out" my ADHD medication Vyvanse. However, I still felt alert and awake without the stimulant vyvanse. I stupidly quit taking it after two weeks. I got back on it three weeks ago. So far, it greatly helps with anxiety, but kills my appetite. Not an ounce of weight gain. Side effects have been night sweats and jaw clenching, teeth grinding. It has not helped me feel alert and awake this second time around at all. Not sure why that is."

K.G. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was dealing with anxiety in college my junior year and so I decided to talk to my doctor about it and he prescribed Paxil. When I started taking it, my appetite increased, energy went down, my emotions were just monotonous like I couldn't feel anything. I also gained 15 pounds in 4 months which is not normal for me, especially since I had been working out and hadn't changed my eating habits at all. After being on this drug for 5 months, I am weaning myself off it and I am feeling a million times better. I would recommend a different drug if you are having problems with anxiety."

Anonymous May 8, 2016

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "Prior to getting on the aropax 12.5 I started having anxiety symptoms from nowhere. The meds have improved my quality of life quite a bit."

Zado 10111 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been taking Paxil since December of 2015. I started out on 10mg, which didn't do much for me, and then my doctor increased it to 20mg, which still was not enough to cease my anxiety. I have been taking 30mg of Paxil for about 4 months now and it has been great. My mood is extremely better and all of my friends and family notice a huge change. I'm a more pleasant person to be around, I don't have panic/anxiety attacks anymore, and I am able to do things that my anxiety didn't allow me to do before. However, when I first started taking Paxil, it gave me a lot of headaches, but they went away as I got used to it. Also, I have been having night sweats and it is hard for me to sleep sometimes, but other than that it is a great medication"

Ashley S April 19, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "After a few intense months of panic and high anxiety, I finally was brave enough to try this medication. I have tried other SSRIs in the past, but usually found them very agitating at the "normal" doses, so I have learned to start and stay very low. After a month of insomnia I finally decided to give Paxil a try. I started at 2.5mg. The first few days were fine, I felt sleepy and a bit lazy, but at least that was better than high-strung panic. At about a week, I started to experience some small benefits, and some fairly harsh side effects (nausea, diarrhea, derealization, increased panic). At a month, much better and I was sleeping well again. However, getting off this medication after 5 months was really challenging and uncomfortable."

jillybean2 November 28, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on Paxil for about two months. The first two weeks I was on 10mg, and I could feel a big change. My pupils would dilate huge, which I read was because my brain was finally being flooded with serotonin. I actually would relate the side effects I felt as similar to MDMA (I spent from 19-23 as an avid drug user..have been clean now for 4 years). I felt awesome, but it didn't last. Two weeks in, my doctor increased my dose to 20mg. Since the increase, the "good feeling" has kind of went away. I feel how I did before I started Paxil, PLUS it's hard to think clearly&feels like something is pressing on my chest at night. I have absolutely no sex drive and have lost more than 20lbs due to not eating. It's done nothing for my anxiety yet."

KayleighFGG (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've suffered from depression for the past ten years, and terrible anxiety since a very young age (especially social anxiety). I've never truly felt happy for any significant period of time. My anxiety can be so severe that I can't even leave my house sometimes. Certain noises, crowds, being out in public, can cause me extreme anxiety which leads to anger and irritability. I also battle alcoholism due to my illnesses. I've been taking Paxil for two weeks and after only 2 days my anxiety VANISHED. My mood is slowly lifting, and I have no desire at all to drink alcohol!! I've even lost weight because I don't stress eat anymore and my appetite has decreased. The first week or so I did feel drowsy/high, but that feeling is going away slowly."

Anon male, late 20's (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "PROS: relieved GAD symptoms, rested better at night, generally in a better mood most of the time. CONS: gas, bloating, erectile dysfunction. Stopped taking the med 10 days ago and the withdrawal symptoms are awful! vertigo, electric shock sensations throughout my body, dizziness, mood swings etc. coming off this is like trying to break a coke addiction. antihistamines help with the vertigo,.5 mg of klonopin helps with mood swings. L-TYROSINE AND P-5-P helping also to control symptoms. find an alternative medication. Dr will not tell you how hard it is to get off this crap."

Worst DRUG ever! November 4, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on Paxil (20 mg) since 2000 at the age of 15 and have been on it ever since. I was always an anxious kid but my anxiety became debilitating at the beginning of high school and I would occasionally vomit in the morning due to anxiety and also experienced heart palpitations. After a physical and an echocardiogram revealed that I was physically healthy I began seeing a Psychiatrist who diagnosed me with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder and he prescribed me Paxil. After about two weeks of feeling run down and kind of flu-like it began working. I really don't have any side effects and I still experience a wide range of emotions, even anxiety, though it is manageable."

Anon18901 June 3, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil was the first medicine I was ever diagnosed with for general anxiety and depression. Yes, the medicine did stop the anxious crazy non stop thoughts, but it also stopped everything else. I didn't care about anything & nothing bothered me. There was one point I almost got fired at work (or came very close to it) & I honestly did not have a nervous bone in my body, blank faced I listened to what my boss told me I did wrong & said "k" then went on with my day. In other words, you just don't care. Paxil was very weird for me... For the first few days I would feel calm, then for about 2 days I'd get this high that made me feel finally like myself again! Then I would feel like a Zombie. I felt like my mouth was glued shut & couldn't laugh."

Made Me A Zombie (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "Been on Paxil for 8 yrs for generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks and it saved my life! Recently increased from 30mg to 40mg due to relapse from highly stressful events and can already feel it working again."

Natrlee (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 3, 2015

"My experience has been a positive one, the start up of this drug was a little difficult to get through but after about 8 weeks, wow. I noticed that certain scenarios that would cause obsessive thoughts and anxiety were not happening as frequently and if they did I let them go easily. I began little by little to be brave again and it feels great. I am very sleepy but once i get started it's fine and have increased sweating which is a pain but a lot better than how I was before I started."

Lea28 March 13, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "Made me feel like I was floating. Lasted 12-18 hours after each dose. I had to stop it to function at all."

ugene1234 February 7, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I had anxiety all of my life and I didn't even know it until 2012 and Paxil change my life and now I'm back to my old self. And I only took it for to months thanks for my doctor given it to me."

tokei (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2015

"I started taking Prozac after failing to be able to deal with some traumatic events happening in my life over an extended period of time. The Prozac made me quite shaky and left me with a feeling of extreme nervousness. I kept imagining flying off my balcony (for real). My doctor said it was very rare to have this sort of reaction. I hired a therapist. I switched doctors. I was prescribed Paroxetine. It made me feel normal again. If you have a bad reaction to Prozac, don't be afraid to let your doctor know. People react differently to medicines, even when they're supposed to be close to the same thing."

BreeB December 12, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "My anxiety sky rocketed while on this medication so much that my doctor prescribed Xanax. I was terrified and unable to sleep for more than a couple hours."

StephanieAlice (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "The only reason I am giving this medication a '9' is because I'm my 5th week in and I've feel better than I did before taking the medication. I would say in my 3rd to 4th week I started feeling better and to my old self. Don't get me wrong...I still had moments of anxiety and stress, but nothing like it used to be. Recently, I've been preparing for a CT Scan and I think it's caused my anxiety to spike again. I'm staying positive and trying to face the reality that my worry is the cause of the anxiety. I know the full effect with Paxil doesn't kick in until 3 months and I am going to stay on it to benefit from it. Like I said, it's been a tremendous blessing, but still got a hill to climb. It's most important to face our problems head-on."

OnlyAMemory (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "Was on it and later Remeron for 3 months. Remeron was an near-instant help; Paxil did some good things. Apparently, a great anxiety med. Effects didn't really last and I got anxious/depressed to a large extent. Went off and had a hard withdrawal."

King Bean (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been on Paxil twice in my life. When I was teenager, my doctor prescribed me Paxil to control depression. I was on it until I started my Master's. I stopped taking it because I did not think that I needed it anymore. For about five to six years, I wasn't taking Paxil, but I noticed that my anxiety got worse. It got so bad that I began to get panic attacks almost every morning. I also developed an ulcer and was diagnosed with severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My doctor decided to place me back on Paxil. After being on for 6 months, I feel absolutely wonderful. I still get anxious every once in awhile but not to the point that I feel as though I'm going to have a panic attack. I've also been able to control my panic attacks on my own."

Wonder Drug For Me (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "I can honestly say, after years and years of dealing with my anxiety, leaving school to be homeschooled, not being able to function and just accomplish and do the things I wanted to do, being a slave to anxiety every second of my life, finally at 18, after a year of what has been the worst anxiety of my life, I made the decision to take Paxil. 26 days on the medicine and I can honestly say it has changed my life, and saved it. I have never felt so wonderful in my entire life, anxiety does not exist in my life or control me anymore, I am now in control, and it was such a beautiful relief to have such an incredible outcome."

Anamax June 11, 2014

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil is very effective. I struggled with anxiety for a year and Paxil is the only thing that helped."

Anxiety16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2014

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "I have been dealing with anxiety all my life. I thought that was how everyone lived. Last year I had a debilitating episode of anxiety and finally sought help. After hearing my history the doctors wanted me to get on SSRI's asap. I resisted at first due to fears, but eventually relented. Started with 20mg a day of Paxil, was on that does for three months, and I still had some anxiety. Went up to 30mg and after the new dose kicked in, I have never felt better. It has been a year at 30mg's and my anxiety is gone, not just health anxiety but social anxiety, money anxiety. My mind finally works the way it was meant to and I owe it all to Paxil. "

GJ72 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2013