User Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Paxil, Paxil CR, Brisdelle, Pexeva

Paroxetine has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 98 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 63% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.4/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Paroxetine

A · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 22, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “Saved my life, literally. I have very high functioning anxiety and my mind would never stop, and I had come to conclusion after trying several antidepressants that was just who I was. Then I developed SI, depression, and found no pleasure in anything. I was miserable and I tortured myself constantly. At my breaking point with SI when I could no longer trust myself, I talked to my PCP and was prescribed Paxil 20mg. My entire life has changed. I have never known a quiet mind my whole adult life. I am happy and peaceful for the first time ever. I have to exercise a lot to combat sugar cravings, but I do not dread exercise and enjoy it now. I still have trouble sleeping, which I always have had, but other than that, this drug has been a miracle for me.”

Robby · Taken for 10 years or more June 5, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “Upped my paxil dose from 20mg to 30mg. 6 weeks ago and still have small anxiety. I have been on 20mg for 20 year and worked well I needed a boost. Can it take this long? I had no anxiety for almost 20 years.”

SeanfromCanada January 26, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have had great success with Paxil. These personal comments we leave should really be considered with a 'grain of salt'. There are so many unknown variables which dictate success of a drug on one person and failure with the same drug on another person. If you read through the thread of helpful comments here you will see that there is the need to be very candid with your health care provider and be ready to try different medications until you find satisfaction. These medications DO WORK. You just have to find the right one for you. Have faith. You will find the right med for you. Life is amazing and will go on and get better!! Never give up. Every day is a new chance.”

Anamax June 11, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): “I can honestly say, after years and years of dealing with my anxiety, leaving school to be homeschooled, not being able to function and just accomplish and do the things I wanted to do, being a slave to anxiety every second of my life, finally at 18, after a year of what has been the worst anxiety of my life, I made the decision to take Paxil. 26 days on the medicine and I can honestly say it has changed my life, and saved it. I have never felt so wonderful in my entire life, anxiety does not exist in my life or control me anymore, I am now in control, and it was such a beautiful relief to have such an incredible outcome.”

Jasmine April 24, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “Paroxetine has changed my life. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder about 2-3 years ago and started on paroxetine back then, within a month almost all of my anxiety was gone. It didn't make me gain any more weight than I would have on my own, I've always struggled with eating disorders and if anything the paroxetine helped with that as well. If you take it for a week or two you won't be getting the real effect, take it for 1-2 months before deciding if it's the right medication for you; you really do need you give it a chance to work. Good luck!”

Kuntal from India · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “Many of us think that SSRI's completely cure your anxiety. That is over expectation. Give enough time to your medicine and remind yourself if you don't have some anxiety that's mean you are dead. Paxil or any SSRI's lessen your symptoms, so you don't have severe panic attacks with it. Moreover you enjoy your life with out worrying much. You still have anxiety because you are human but that doesn't affect your quality of life . Please do understand. Seretonin affects the mood - it is not laughing gas.”

Slw · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2021

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was on Paxil for 6 years, I stopped for 3 months and after some life changes I had to get back on. It has really saved my life. 2 weeks of pure nightmare with side effects but after that stage I was so free of anxiety. Please wait it out and keep taking it. The end results are so worth the side effects in the beginning. I will never be on anything else for my anxiety and depression.”

jay22579 June 21, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): “I've been meaning to write this for a couple of months now. I started getting really crippling panic attacks last year. from the panic attacks came mild agoraphobia and then the depression sunk in after not thinking i could help myself. I went through about 4 ssri's before being put on paxil. I can honestly say it has changed my life. I am 95% back to my old self and everyday i actually enjoy getting up. don let other peoples experiences with ssri's affect you. everyone reacts differently and there is definitely one out there that will work for you. In saying that there are 2 types of people with anxiety and depression, a person who does nothing, and a person who gets up and does everything about it. (I'm 21 by the way)”

Nothx · Taken for 10 years or more April 27, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “Was prescribed Paxil at a young age for generalized anxiety. Eventually it moved into panic attacks and depression. When this medication works it works well, but when it quits it’s the worst thing you can imagine. It quit working (paxil poopout) and I had tremors, severe depression, derealization, depersonalization, panic attacks, bad thoughts, crying, lost 20lbs. I’ve been withdrawing for almost a year now from this medicine. THE WITHDRAW FROM THIS IS SIMILAR TO HEROIN. Please steer clear of this medication. It’s not worth the horrible wit withdraw it will give you.”

Revolt12 · Taken for 10 years or more August 29, 2019

Paxil (paroxetine): “Paxil literally saved my life. Each person is individual and will react to antidepressants in a different way. I was on Paxil for 17 years and then I started to feel some major fatigue. I went off Paxil and didn't have side effects. I have also tried Zoloft (zombie effect), effexor 75mg (worked on depression and anxiety but caused apathy), Fluoxetine 40mg (caused SI and had to be readmitted to hospital to get off it. I am now starting Paxil again after a year off it. This time around I have slowly increased from 20 to 30 to 40mg. It is one month since starting again. SI has gone. Mood is 80 percent. I still have some anxiety. I take Melatonin 10mg and Seroquel 12.5 to help with insomnia which I have never had before. I take 0.5 Risperidone in the morning to help with anxiety. I have lost 10kg and food is of no interest. I will keep you updated after a couple of months. Hopefully the fatigue doesn't reoccur. Paxil is a great medication if it suits you.”

Mega B without Paxil · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 3, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): “My anxiety is pretty bad to the point it makes me feel ADHD, depressed and overall anxious. It's not that I dread or fear anything, it feels more like I'm in a constant panic attack, defensively bad mood! Then came Paxil and my life did a complete 180. I still have ADHD but as soon as I notice it acting up I'm able to laugh it off, stop, and reorganize to get back on track. I don't feel helpless or sad anymore. This runs on both sides of my family but more so on the maternal side. I "got better" so I stopped cold turkey. Do not do this. It is absolutely horrific and I experienced some of the worst silent panic attacks ever! Meedless to say, I am back on it and will never come off it again!”

GJ72 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 23, 2013

Paxil CR (paroxetine): “I have been dealing with anxiety all my life. I thought that was how everyone lived. Last year I had a debilitating episode of anxiety and finally sought help. After hearing my history the doctors wanted me to get on SSRI's asap. I resisted at first due to fears, but eventually relented. Started with 20mg a day of Paxil, was on that does for three months, and I still had some anxiety. Went up to 30mg and after the new dose kicked in, I have never felt better. It has been a year at 30mg's and my anxiety is gone, not just health anxiety but social anxiety, money anxiety. My mind finally works the way it was meant to and I owe it all to Paxil. ”

kdclark · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 21, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): “Taking for panic attacks and agoraphobia. Started at 10mg and worked up to 30mg. The difference in my anxiety, mood, and energy levels is dramatic. I feel normal again, it's almost euphoric how much better I feel. I have more energy during the day, no panic attacks, and I sleep better. I did gain weight (20 lbs.) over six months, but a membership to the gym and joining Weight Watchers has helped me lose 12 lbs. and counting, so it's coming off. This medicine has been a godsend for me.”

Anon male, late 20's · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): “I've suffered from depression for the past ten years, and terrible anxiety since a very young age (especially social anxiety). I've never truly felt happy for any significant period of time. My anxiety can be so severe that I can't even leave my house sometimes. Certain noises, crowds, being out in public, can cause me extreme anxiety which leads to anger and irritability. I also battle alcoholism due to my illnesses. I've been taking Paxil for two weeks and after only 2 days my anxiety VANISHED. My mood is slowly lifting, and I have no desire at all to drink alcohol!! I've even lost weight because I don't stress eat anymore and my appetite has decreased. The first week or so I did feel drowsy/high, but that feeling is going away slowly.”

jmoney70 July 1, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): “I am 41 and have had all manner of anxiety for most of my life. Usually this worsens as my self esteem drops. I have taken it twice in the past, once for about 3 years, and recently for about a year. I stopped taking it almost 8 months ago and I just went back on it yesterday. 20mgs and yesterday was the worst I ever remember feeling. Headache, restlessness, dry mouth (flu like symptoms), and I ate only because I needed to. I was not hungry. Couldn't sleep last night so I took 50 mgs of diphenhydramine and slept well. Today I feel much better! I am cutting to only 10mgs for a week and then back to the 20mgs. I have to say that when you are calling out from your job and afraid to go in stores, like myself, this medicine works!”

Natrlee · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 3, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): “Been on Paxil for 8 yrs for generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks and it saved my life! Recently increased from 30mg to 40mg due to relapse from highly stressful events and can already feel it working again.”

Wonder Drug For Me · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 13, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have been on Paxil twice in my life. When I was teenager, my doctor prescribed me Paxil to control depression. I was on it until I started my Master's. I stopped taking it because I did not think that I needed it anymore. For about five to six years, I wasn't taking Paxil, but I noticed that my anxiety got worse. It got so bad that I began to get panic attacks almost every morning. I also developed an ulcer and was diagnosed with severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My doctor decided to place me back on Paxil. After being on for 6 months, I feel absolutely wonderful. I still get anxious every once in awhile but not to the point that I feel as though I'm going to have a panic attack. I've also been able to control my panic attacks on my own.”

Ryandawg · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 21, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have been taking Paxil for about a year now and have to say several positive things about it. Although it can be a pain to remember to take it, everyone’s body is different and withdrawals are manageable. (And if they aren’t you can go into any emergency room and request a refill; in an emergency) . Paxil has given me confidence in myself. I feel you have to treat it like a vitamin, thinking that the pill will fix everything can make you a typical pessimist, however, effects are really noticeable around the 3-4 week period. My experience is a more stable mood, diminished social anxiety, and more energy. I began to see improvements in the threshold for my emotions. It would take me a lot longer to become upset or anxious about something. It is not as if the feeling is gone but you become less stimulated by your environment. Things that really were stressful and important to me became petty and easier to manage. I have taken Lexapro, Prozac, and Effexor and I think Paxil has been the best overall SSRI.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more June 26, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): “I was sent to a psychologist for depression and anxiety when I was just 16. She put me on Paxil. It really saved my life. I was unable to sleep and soanxious I could enjoy nothing. After 20 years if feeling normal, although I did gain weight, I decided to wean myself because of the weight issue. Big mistake. I crashed due to stress and been in a state of extreme panic and anxiety for over a week. I can't eat and I lost 10 pounds in a week because I want to be sick all the time. Tried switching to Prozac which made it worse! I'm back to Paxil and I know it will help me again soon as it kicks in. In the mean time I am on Ativan. I wished I never stopped it. Works great for extreme anxiety and depression.”

Anonymous January 20, 2017

Paxil (paroxetine): “IT started in the spring of 1996. I began having stomach pains horribly EVERYDAY. Nausea. I had made a major life change in going into something with a 4 and 1 year old that I did not want to really do but my wife wanted BAD... By September of that year, I had become in such pain and lost 50lbs that my intern put me in the hospital for one week with EVERY test of the digestive system. Long story short, I left the hospital with a diagnosis of GAD and secondary IBS. Went home and didn't sleep one week, so doctor put me in a private mental home. They put me on 1mg klonopin and 20mg paxil and 50mg Trazadone for sleep. In 5 days, NO stomach problems at all. Ate 3 square meals, played ball, went to gymn. WAS ALIVE AGAIN!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 13, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine): “Simply amazing. This pill really has helped me gain control of my once terrible anxiety disorder. Sure, it made me gain a LITTLE bit of weight, but my mental health is worth those 5lbs! It's very effective, without turning me into a zombie. I can function normally, and even better than I have in a long time.”

Anonymous October 19, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine): “My son started this almost 3 months ago, he is 17. It had helped him alot! He was throwing up at bus stop with just thinking of going to school. Constantly had stomach cramps and "the runs". He would never go into a restaurant or a store and he is getting better at both. I'm so glad for him because of this medicine, it gave him his life back.”

Sofia · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 5, 2018

Paxil (paroxetine): “First off, I am an alcoholic with 8 years of sobriety. Three years into continuous sobriety I began to feel like I was experiencing PMS all the time. I drank for most of my adult life approx . 30 yrs, thus I may have needed SSRI’s all along. Long story short I tried 10 mg of paroxatine or Paxil which made me feel like I had motion sickness a day or two then it went away. I used to obsess over stupid stuff and I felt anxious which effected my sleep. Within 2 weeks I mellowed out without becoming lethargic or tired. Basically it took me down a notch and I am much more patient and not obsessing. 2 1/2 yrs later I am doing great at 20 mg.. my quality of life is much better. I am full time mom, student and wife with no time to be bogged down. Paxil worked well for me.”

Anonymous November 21, 2020

Paxil (paroxetine): “I've only been on Paxil for a day at 10mg I'll be upping it by 10mg each week for 6 weeks , but I feel amazing my depression is almost gone and my anxiety has been lowered tremendously!!! I've tried all the other antidepressants and the only other one that worked but stopped after a year was celexa, thank God for paxil this medicine has been a god send !!”

Wessican · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 13, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): “I have been taking 30 mg of Paxil daily for about 4 years. It truly changed my life. I have had more issues with anxiety than depression, I couldn't sleep, I was angry all the time for no reason, I had constant pressure on my chest- Paxil put an end to the sleepless nights, nipped the depression in the bud and took my anxiety level down by about 90%. The only problems are if I miss a pill I get those nasty electric shock feelings, I feel like my emotions are almost a bit too subdued (can't cry, sometimes you got to pet or out) and lastly I have NO sex drive. For this reason I'm in the process of tapering off and my doctor is putting me on Viibryd. But if that doesn't work as well as Paxil I'll definitely switch back!”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder