User Reviews for Luvox

7.9
Anxiety and Stress

Reviews for Luvox

Gia March 28, 2021

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I take Anafranil for 32 years now, after a diagnosis of OCD when I was 15 years old; doctor said I would have to take it for the rest of my life. Two years ago, I asked the psychiatrist to try to switch the medicine, because of side effects I have that really disturb me (great hair loss, permanent dry mouth, lack of libido, etc.). Eventually, she prescribed fluvoxamine, so I stopped Anafranil and started it. The experience was AWFUL: immediately I started feeling kind of detached from everything, what it came out to be as a profound state of depression. The doctor increased the dose and things didn't change at all. After two and a half months taking fluvoxamine and feeling completely depressed, emotional detached from everything and with a permanent underlying "dark"/strange feeling, I decided to stop it. Instead, that night I took half of my usual 75 mg Anafranil; the next morning I was just fine, the "normal", functional me.”

Woofy06 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “Been through a lot of meds and Luvox was the one that worked the best for social anxiety / GAD. (For me anyways). When it worked, it almost completely knocked out my anxiety. Hope to give it a re-try to see if it will work for me again.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I took luvox for one day. My OCD had been getting better because of ERP and I knew my OCD theme was just OCD. However, when I took luvox I literally felt like my OCD came to life & it was worse than ever. It dramatically worsened my OCD, I literally felt psychotic & I could barely sleep that night.”

Jeff · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 26, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I have now been on 65-75 mg of Luvox for about 3 years for Obsessive Thoughts Disorder, which I had suffered from intensely since childhood. I was put on everything under the sun, mostly being treated with less specific, but more well known medicines (mostly focusing on depression, anxiety - though it was always known to be OCD). This drug has changed my life. I have went gone constant ruminating, to absolutely no worrying signs of OCD. I at first felt severe side effects of fatigue, tingly body, anxiety and needing total silence. It was a weird 2 weeks. But as soon as that passed, it has been the miracle I prayed for. I hope it can do the same for you.”

John · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 29, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Medical Student experiencing OCD since 9 years old. Luvox is Lifechanging for OCD. Begin with this for OCD. Should it not work, don't despair, everyone is different. You will find your solution eventually. For OCD Luvox is the place to start. Lifechanging. OCD dropped from 13 hours a day to 5 minutes. Lifechanging.”

Raand · Taken for 10 years or more January 6, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “Luvox has worked well for me. One issue is how it interacts with caffeine, it can be very unpleasant. I feel sped up and then hungover, sometimes for days. I don’t feel like this is mentioned enough when discussing this medicine, so I thought it was worth pointing out. As someone that loves coffee this has been very frustrating.”

Kaod509 April 6, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Luvox changed my life. It took away the guilt I have felt my entire life. Remember, it is important to go to therapy prior to starting a medications. I specifically went to exposure and response prevention therapy for 8 months prior to starting this drug. This medication is a miracle for those experiencing severe OCD and more specifically, instructive thoughts. What thus drug does is lessen the amount of intrusive thoughts you have and allows you to have a normal reaction to the thoughts. Please note that it does not take the thoughts away completely, it is not meant to. This drug also worked very quickly. I personally find it important to gradually increase the dose every few weeks to a month. I have had no side effects, except for some difficult falling asleep. I am so grateful I found this, highly recommend!”

Anonymous September 30, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Absolutely amazing! I was in a terrible spot with my harm OCD..... And then this miracle of a drug came along! It's almost like its a physical volume knob that turns your thoughts down... To the point where they are still there, but so quiet they're insignificant. ONLY reason I gave it a 9/10 is because it took a while to work.... But that's different for everyone. If you're reading this and are wondering if it's going to even work... I have been on it for a solid 8 weeks, and I'm JUST now starting to feel the effects. I literally have trouble falling asleep now, only because I'm excited about tomorrow! :)”

Courageous · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 31, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “After 10 years of struggling with heightening anxiety, I came very close to breaking point, and checked myself into a wonderful private psych hospital - which at the time, I found absolutely terrifying. Little did I know, my timing was perfect, as I met my new doctor (an angel/psychiatrist) who made an OCD diagnosis straight away. With him, I started on 100mg of Luvox, which had a positive effect within 2 days. We increased my dose to 200mg per night, which has continued to work superbly ever since (and it's been 1.5 years). I can't speak highly enough of Luvox, which is the one and only medication I've tried. The biggest thing I've learnt about OCD, is that the 'cure' (aka, return to the healthy pool) = medication + psychology + lifestyle!”

anxiouscharlie · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 14, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “It's a miracle is what it is. This med allows me to function. Tried so many things and this is the only med to help with OCD. Took away a bunch of compulsions and anxiety associated with them. I find it easier to push away thoughts. Side effects- night sweats, sexual dysfunction, tiredness. Doesn't work on depression it seems though its an SSRI. Still with these side effects it's a miracle drug. Saved me. Been on 300mg for years. I should say going on it is hell, constant anxiety and panic and then one day it just drops and you feel better. It gets worse before it gets better. If you take this and feel terribly anxious, it's working. Push through.”

Maryw · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “12 weeks & a dosage of 150 mg on Luvox and my OCD is close to extinguished. After 8 years, my OCD relapsed. July through November 2018, I was ruminating 12-15 hours a day. I was scared to wake up and face the constant charter and confusion in my head. Today I feel free from that mental anguish. I was lucky to experience only a short period of insomnia when starting, unlike the unbearable lengthy list of side effects that I experienced on Zoloft. I accredit this to a slow and steady increase in dosage. I didn't notice any difference until week 8 (and the right dosage) so don't be discouraged if the "4-6 weeks" suggestion doesn't match up with your recovery. I've seen many say that it can take a possible 12 weeks! I'm also going to begin CBT to control my anxious tendencies and learn skills for a possible OCD return, but I will say that this medication has done wonders for me.”

mickeycm August 26, 2013

For Anxiety and Stress: “A year ago I was prescribed Luvox in a psych ward where they took me off Prozac. I felt really okay! I had a follow up visit 2 weeks later with my psychiatrist of 30 years. He immediately took me off it saying in no way was Luvox right for me. He put me on Parnate. After one week I felt like I had been poisoned. He then told me to to go back to Prozac. Time for a new doctor, my new doctor put me back on Luvox. Now, at 4 months, I feel really well for the first time in many, many years. I rated this an 8 because 10 means perfection to me and there is no such thing as that with any medicine.”

indie_annika March 17, 2014

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “So far this is the best medication I've been on for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have obsessive thoughts and ruminating as my compulsion and it was totally debilitating before. I was on mirtazapine for a while but felt emotionless and still had a lot of OCD-"crashes". Switched to Fluvox because mirtazapine made me gain a lot of weight. Finally losing weight now and have a normal appetite again! Obliterates obsessive thoughts and makes me feel really happy, plus I have all my strong emotions back, feeling more "me" again. Frustrating side effect in insomnia (most nights I wake up 2-3 times for 30 mins at least and sleep very restlessly) but the headaches and nausea have both passed, so hopefully this will also pass.”

Lnd · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “It's only been 2 weeks on Luvox (have OCD) but I'm definitely noticing a difference today. I started 12.5mg for two days, 25mg for 5 days, 37.5 mg for 4 days, and now 50mg. Our goal is to be at 100mg within the next 3 weeks with these intervals. I feel overall so much better in an unexplainable way. My stress isn't as overbearing as before, my anxiety is still present but not near what it was. Can't wait to see where this medicine takes me in the coming weeks.”

Andrew Norman · Taken for 10 years or more October 27, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “This drug literally saved my life. When I was first diagnosed with OCD I took other meds for it with often very bad side effects. FINALLY I was put on Luvox. I have been taking it for over 18 years now. Like I said before it saved my life.”

Prometheus bound · Taken for 10 years or more September 22, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Saved my life plain and simple. Taking the drug for 18 years now fluctuating between 100 and 400mg over the years. The thoughts consumed my every waking moment, smothering me, making it impossible to live. In the times I've gone off the drug over the years my symptoms resurfaced, only to be reigned in by Luvox. Yes there are side effects, but they are nothing that can't be tolerated when the alternative is death.”

TLBW May 25, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I was first put on this med in 1995 to deal with my OCD which manifests itself in compulsive negative thought and inability to overcome negativity, as well as occasional wishing I would die and suicidal thoughts (never acted upon). Due to frequent professionally-caused moves around the world, periodically Luvox was unavailable to me, so I was placed on alternatives such as Zoloft and others, all of which had heavy side effects. The best thing for me about Luvox was my ability to cope, no sexual side effects, and also the ability to still feel, all of which other drugs (especially Zoloft) prevented, leaving me feeling like a zombie. Luvox let me be me without my OCD and generally with it, I am a happier, more positive and creative person.”

Ausdude August 2, 2013

For Anxiety and Stress: “An excellent medicine for me for controlling thoughts and anxiety. I use 50mg at 8pm. I can't describe what a difference it has made to my life. I'm happy to take it for the rest of my life. I tried going without it for about a year because I was feeling good, but I will never do that again because of how horrible it was without it. When I've gone on Luvox, I feel the effect almost overnight. It is really important that you take it at the same time every day and that you follow a good sleeping schedule and not go to bed very late (i.e. after 11pm) for best results. There is only one downside for me and that is more difficult to reach orgasm and libido is reduced. If it was not for this I would give it a 10.”

OCD Sufferer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 20, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Loved this drug Luvox for my OCD. Bathed my brain in Serotonin. And while that was a good solution, it was also posed a problem. It took anxiety/OCD away better then most SSRI's I have tried. However, it made my me incredibly tried. You could literally sleep for 22 hours out of the day if you could afford to do so. But, my experience will not be yours, so don't rule it out as a possible treatment for your OCD.”

Doggie01 · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “On this for Depression and anxiety, First couple of days on Luvox made me feel very flat, almost more depressed but without the crying. On the forth day it made me feel so physically sick. Diarrhoea, nausea, weak, shaky, laboured breathing, faint. I felt like I had been poisoned, stopped right away. After doing a bit of research it studies show it has a 40 percent chance of giving you gastrointestinal side effects. Very angry at the psychiatrist for prescribing me this after telling him my anxiety manifests in a tight shivering ball in my stomach. ”

lisa678 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 8, 2013

For Anxiety and Stress: “I suffered from anxiety, excessive worrying and ruminating to the point where it was obsessive and led to a bad depression. I have been this way off and on ever since I can remember. I have been referred to as a worry wort and possibly obsessive compulsive. I tried Zoloft and Lexapro. Both helped with my depression symptoms however neither helped my anxiety at all and both killed my appetite and sex drive. I also tried Xanax occasionally and Buspar. However although these relieved my anxiety they made my depression worse. It was a catch 22. Finally doc put me on a low dose (25mg) of Luvox. What a relief! I have not noticed any side effects other than drowsiness at times. This medicine has worked well so far even in a low dose two months now.”

MJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 22, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Hello, My son takes luvox in a small dose to lessen OCD but if we increase his dose it makes his OCD WORSE...I do want to share that he had a sudden onset of OCD OVERNIGHT! Turns out it is from LYME DISEASE and Bartonella co-infection which causes PANS - Postimmune Neurological Syndrome! Strep, Lyme and other bacteria can cause this...If OCD medicine doesn't really work, check with your doctor and ask about PANS LYME or PANDAS from Strep...”

DanniiCatera July 7, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I started taking this drug over 15 years ago whenever I had unwanted mind chatter going on. It wasn't like I heard voices in my head like crazy people, just my thoughts going crazy almost allowed to keep me awake. If someone said hey I like that color blue on you, I would think it's because I look fat in other colors really bad another color and then I would start obsessing about that. It really was a prison that I was in and obsessing on things that were small and absolutely had nothing to do with my life. Luvox 100% almost as if it took away every single one of those problems that I had and no longer have any sort of Mind chatter or even think much about if someone gives me a compliment other than hey thanks.”

Mom of odd child · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2014

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Wow finally a conversation with my son that is NOT fishing. 17 yr old son was dropped on his head when he was born by a nurse. He has seen the same neuro since being a baby. We've tried everything. Cocktails of medicines, seizure meds, etc. Nothing helped. It got so bad I was placed on medication for my nerves. His neurologist suggested we try Luvox. I am sitting next to my son, who is playing a game. Calm yet very alert not dragging like other meds did to him. He is able to hold conversations about so many topics and that is a relief even to him.”

Anonymous February 12, 2009

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “This medicine saved my life. Racing thoughts almost non-existent. When they recur during times of stress, doctor ups dosage and immediately my mind quietens. OCD is underlying cause of many compensatory disorders, including: depression, alcoholism and eating disorder. With the OCD controlled, I have been able to take charge over the others.”

FindYourPeace · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I have horrible side effects on Luvox. Some of which I had to willfully snap out of. Side effects for me are: Sweating. Aggression. Impulsiveness. Nausea. Memory issues. BiPolar disorder? Doctors suggested that I could try tapering the dose and as I did, side effects became worse. I missed a dose and went into extreme withdrawal. Side effects gave me nervous breakdown. I balled and cried for help. Got confused. Arms tingled bad, hyperventilated. Felt I needed a cool bath to calm down. But forgot to make it cool. Made sure I wore swim trunks incase I had heart attack and was found. Some Scientific studies found that Luvox can cause aggression, impulsiveness and other side effects. This information appears to be quashed. Some doctors believe the FDA. It may work for you? Find something else if Luvox is not for you. Do not blame yourself for the side effects of drugs or for the mental illness you suffer from. You are not your disease.”

zydecmolly · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 7, 2013

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I have been on Luvox for just over a year. I have realized that if I miss a dose or two which I have done at times my symptoms return (racing thoughts, self harm,..awful). It usually takes a week or so to get back on track with taking my medicine on a regular basis again. I love the medicine, but I have noticed I cannot miss a dose or else my steady state will get messed up and it takes time to get back to normal.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2013

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder last year and tried Anafranil first but couldn't handle the side effects. My doctor started me on Luvox a little over and month ago and I finally feel like I'm getting my life together. I see my counselor every 2 weeks now instead of once a week and my obsessive thoughts are finally under control. I can enjoy books again and I've been feeling a lot more social. At first I had trouble sleeping; I was waking up every night around 4 AM but that has almost stopped completely now. I was worried about weight gain but I've actually lost weight due to my diminished appetite since starting the medication.”