User Reviews for Luvox

Learn more about Luvox.

Luvox Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 43 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Luvox to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

"I started taking this drug over 15 years ago whenever I had unwanted mind chatter going on. It wasn't like I heard voices in my head like crazy people, just my thoughts going crazy almost allowed to keep me awake. If someone said hey I like that color blue on you, I would think it's because I look fat in other colors really bad another color and then I would start obsessing about that. It really was a prison that I was in and obsessing on things that were small and absolutely had nothing to do with my life. Luvox 100% almost as if it took away every single one of those problems that I had and no longer have any sort of Mind chatter or even think much about if someone gives me a compliment other than hey thanks."

DanniiCatera July 7, 2016

"This drug saved my life. Really helps control the obsessive thoughts. I have been taking it 5 years. Only side effect is increased sweating, but it's no big deal."

Mandy lynn June 29, 2016

"To be clear, I am on luvox for its entire spectrum of effect-- OCD, anxiety and stress, and major depressive disorder. I have been on almost every single drug on the market, and Luvox is consistently the only one that has ever worked. The luvox/latuda (atypical antipsychotic) combination worked wonders for me in the past, and though I am only on luvox now, it has definitely helped with curbing recurrent, insistent thoughts of hopelessness and despair. It has blunted my anxiety, and after years of depression, I am starting to feel a little better. Just tired as all get out, though!"

O B (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2016

"I have been taking generic brand of Luvox just over 14 years now. It seemed to work for the first few years but it would only reduce the intrusive thoughts and anxiety where you could manage throughout the day. I just switched to Luvox brand name a couple of days ago. I just got my life back. I practically feel cured. I am more mentally focused, my concentration is much better, and most importantly my intrusive unwanted thoughts area pretty much gone. I feel like I can carry the world on my shoulders. Luvox brand name has changed my life forever. I hope it continues to do so for the years to come. I thank God for giving me the idea to try and switch from generic to brand !!!!!!!!"

Joeyc May 21, 2016

"This medication works fine it just makes me really drowsy and I yawn so much,it also makes me go to the restroom more. Other than that it works fine"

Brygitte May 5, 2016

"This medication has helped me for years and works excellent. I wouldn't trust anything else!"

Hannah M. April 22, 2016

"I was prescribed Zoloft for anxiety and panic attacks and soon my OCD was out of control. I was switched to Luvox and have improved greatly. However, I'm always tired and yet still can't sleep. I've heard that some side effects can improve over time - hoping this happens for me."

Luvncoopy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

"I've been on Luvox for 6 months now on 200 mg/day. I switched from Prozac because of libido problems, but it actually didn't make any difference. I completely lost interest in sex and got weight really fast. My OCD is controlled, but I feel depressed, sleeping a lot during day and nothing during night haha it's horrible... Also I compulsively scratch my head until it bleeds (tricotilomania?) and Prozac had helped me stop it. Now on Luvox, the problem is back. I'm switching back to Prozac or giving a try to Zoloft."

Heyheymama January 7, 2016

"Luvox was the second medication I tried for OCD. I was only on the lowest dose of this medication for 4 days, because the side effects were unbearable. About 4 hours after taking this medication, I became incredibly sedated and out of it. The drowsiness was so pronounced that I did not wish to continue this med. Since I had no where near reached the therapeutic dose of this medication, I hope that my rating doesn't discourage one from trying it. All SSRI's are notorious for having some inital side effects before you see their benefit; I just couldn't make it to that stage."

juliagulia65 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2016

"It has worked very well for my OCD, I've been taking it for 6 months now and all side effects have gone away. I recommend Luvox for OCD."

Alex T.S. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2015

"I was having major anxiety and depression. I sought therapy for a year and nothing was helping. I tried Amitriptyline, Prozac, Lexapro, and I don't know what else I can't remember. I found a psychiatrist that immediately diagnosed me as OCD at 30(!!). Mainly O with some compulsions that are highly functioning. This drug stopped the depression in weeks at 50mg. Compulsions were so much more manageable. After two years it just stopped working. We've gone up to 100mg and I started getting blurry vision. 125mg and I was highly agitated and depressed. Not sure where to go from here."

OCD1983 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2015

"Absolutely amazing! I was in a terrible spot with my harm OCD..... And then this miracle of a drug came along! It's almost like its a physical volume knob that turns your thoughts down... To the point where they are still there, but so quiet they're insignificant. ONLY reason I gave it a 9/10 is because it took a while to work.... But that's different for everyone. If you're reading this and are wondering if it's going to even work... I have been on it for a solid 8 weeks, and I'm JUST now starting to feel the effects. I literally have trouble falling asleep now, only because I'm excited about tomorrow! :)"

Anonymous September 30, 2015

"Absolutely amazing! I was in a terrible spot with my harm OCD..... And then this miracle of a drug came along! It's almost like its a physical volume knob that turns your thoughts down... To the point where they are still there, but so quite they're insignificant. ONLY reason I have it a 9/10 is because it took a while to work.... But that's different for everyone. If you're reading this and are wondering if it's going to even work... I have been on it for a solid 8 weeks, and I'm JUST now starting to feel the effects. I literally have trouble falling asleep now, only because I'm excited about tomorrow! :)"

LudaCHRIS97 September 30, 2015

"Saved my life plain and simple. Taking the drug for 18 years now fluctuating between 100 and 400mg over the years. The thoughts consumed my every waking moment, smothering me, making it impossible to live. In the times I've gone off the drug over the years my symptoms resurfaced, only to be reigned in by Luvox. Yes there are side effects, but they are nothing that can't be tolerated when the alternative is death."

Prometheus bound (taken for 10 years or more) September 22, 2015

"I immediately noticed my anxiety went down but I had to stop taking the medication because I would sleep up to 16 hours a day, which was not practical as a law student. I also experienced severe nausea and headaches. I felt extremely frustrated that I was prescribed this medication by my doctor."

Renee92 August 16, 2015

"One week and a half and so far so good - takes me down several notches for anxiety, which is good! I've had OCD for over 35 years and it's going to be v hard to break - it may be helping a smidge?"

Trishy Trish Gee June 28, 2015

"After 10 years of struggling with heightening anxiety, I came very close to breaking point, and checked myself into a wonderful private psych hospital - which at the time, I found absolutely terrifying. Little did I know, my timing was perfect, as I met my new doctor (an angel/psychiatrist) who made an OCD diagnosis straight away. With him, I started on 100mg of Luvox, which had a positive effect within 2 days. We increased my dose to 200mg per night, which has continued to work superbly ever since (and it's been 1.5 years). I can't speak highly enough of Luvox, which is the one and only medication I've tried. The biggest thing I've learnt about OCD, is that the 'cure' (aka, return to the healthy pool) = medication + psychology + lifestyle!"

Courageous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2015

"This medication has helped me tremendously. I'm not sure how I lived without it. It took about a week of me taking the medication for my symptoms of OCD to improve, and ever since I have felt 99%. Once every few months I have my 'alright days', but then again, I do have my consecutive couple days that I forget to take them before I fall asleep.... :S :)"

Hann May 19, 2015

"I've been on Luvox for 12 years for my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It was the first medication and I tried and it worked perfectly. I wouldn't try anything else."

Kijill (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2015

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I finally got the courage to talk to my GP about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and all the other issues it was creating. I was first OCD when 14 (Now 33) I was given some samples of Aropax back then and it seemed to eliminate the symptoms immediately, but over time and no planning for continued dosage, my condition worsened and led me to Luvox. I was really down and out. The Luvox initially made me very tired. Dimished Sex Drive and loss of appetite. The enhanced depression was getting to me. The initial 50mg dose was increased (I'm 6'5 115kgs) to 100mg. After 4-5 weeks this started getting better. The sleepiness became the opposite (hard to sleep). Take them at the same time every day and keep a journal of your improvement."

Aussie OCD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2014

"Luvox is fantastic - My Dr put me on it first up, I didn't try any other medicines, and I've been on it for over a year now, and have happily lived almost symptom free. The only thing is when I miss it one or two nights I become a bit of a mess, crying and feeling anxious. Also, I'm starting to feel a bit of depression which is odd for me, but I think it will just be a matter of lowering the dose - It was so bad I was on 300mg and 2mg of Risperidone, but now down to 300mg Luvox only, but perhaps should try going down to 200mg to see if the motivation comes back."

ElleTee (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 22, 2014

"Wow finally a conversation with my son that is NOT fishing. 17 yr old son was dropped on his head when he was born by a nurse. He has seen the same neuro since being a baby. We've tried everything. Cocktails of medicines, seizure meds, etc. Nothing helped. It got so bad I was placed on medication for my nerves. His neurologist suggested we try Luvox. I am sitting next to my son, who is playing a game. Calm yet very alert not dragging like other meds did to him. He is able to hold conversations about so many topics and that is a relief even to him."

Mom of odd child (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"So far this is the best medication I've been on for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have obsessive thoughts and ruminating as my compulsion and it was totally debilitating before. I was on mirtazapine for a while but felt emotionless and still had a lot of OCD-"crashes". Switched to Fluvox because mirtazapine made me gain a lot of weight. Finally losing weight now and have a normal appetite again! Obliterates obsessive thoughts and makes me feel really happy, plus I have all my strong emotions back, feeling more "me" again. Frustrating side effect in insomnia (most nights I wake up 2-3 times for 30 mins at least and sleep very restlessly) but the headaches and nausea have both passed, so hopefully this will also pass."

indie_annika March 17, 2014

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"15 years ago after suffering with severe panic attacks I found a doctor who found the root of my troubles was my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I was on Luvox, brand name only because when I tried the generics they did NOT work? During the time it was off market, I suffered terribly until it came back. It keeps my OCD in check to the best it can be BRAND name only, I do not know why."

Elisse (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Luvox for just over a year. I have realized that if I miss a dose or two which I have done at times my symptoms return (racing thoughts, self harm,..awful). It usually takes a week or so to get back on track with taking my medicine on a regular basis again. I love the medicine, but I have noticed I cannot miss a dose or else my steady state will get messed up and it takes time to get back to normal."

zydecmolly (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 7, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate