User Reviews for Anafranil

Learn more about Anafranil.

Panic Disorder 6 reviews 19 medications

8.9
Depression 3 reviews 79 medications

8.3
Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1 reviews 137 medications

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 33 reviews 13 medications

Summary of Anafranil reviews 43 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Anafranil

For Depression "I've been taking this medication for major depression for 14 years now. 17 years ago I was given big doses of steroids due to problems resulting from back surgery. Those high doses of steroids pushed me into major depression. After 3 1/2 years of trying to find a medication that worked for me, I was prescribed Anafranil. Within two days I was seeing positive results. Within a year of taking Anafranil I was free of depression. I've been taking Anafranil ever since - somewhat afraid to stop. There are many side effects - that I often get tired of - but they pale compared to the relief I received from this medication. It is the most serotonergic of the tricyclics and I feel should be more widely tried for major depression."

Cheesus July 13, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "1I was on anafranil many years ago. Took it for 5 years. Unfortunately, after 5 years, it stopped working for me. But, it is a wonder medication. Give it a try. More than likely, it will work for you. If not, give fluvoxamine a try. It is another really good one. Otnly side effect was dry mouth. Small price to pay for the wonder effects I got from anafranil. Give it a try. When I took it, there was no co-pay. Nowadays, there probably will be a co-pay, but probably not a bad one."

pcworkman (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 25, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I had a break up and was suffering extreme anxiety and depression. I was not functioning at work, in life and suffered for several months. I was getting worse and worse, not sleeping and finally broke down and decided to take an anti depressant. After about 4 days something changed a little within a two weeks my anxiety went away and I began sleeping again as well. I weaned off of the ativan I was taking and this drug saved my life. I probably would have been hospitalized if I didn't go on it. Side effects, sweating (a lot), constipation, and of course ejaculatory issues but still could have sex for my partner. This side effects were easy to deal with when compared to my anxiety. Save my life!!!"

Thank Ful (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I was put on this medication earlier this year for OCD. I didn't really notice a difference other then it made me tired about a half hour after taking it. It did not seem to improve my OCD symptoms. However I do wonder if I was on a high enough dose. My doctor only had me on 50 MG and I have a high tolerance to med so I might give this another shot at a higher dosage. Also I was only on it for a few weeks I think."

micky2015 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "This medication was a miracle for my OCD like I swear my intrusive thoughts had almost gone! I was able to do things that I couldn't do with OCD! Sadly I couldn't continue it as I got a really bad side affect of low blood pressure! I wasn't able to do much during this time. It was worth a try though!"

Tay99 November 16, 2015

For Panic Disorder "I was suffering panic attacks, anxiety, depression and irritable bowel syndrome. I started on half a 75 mg for two weeks and then full tablet. The side effects were a bit of a challenge some days but the up side was I had good days very early into taking. I started them four weeks ago and panic attacks are gone, minimal anxiety now and depression lifted considerably, also no more IBS. one thing that no tablet cannot do is change how you think. I am very, very blessed!"

Jillay November 12, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "This medicine saved my teenager from horrible OCD. 200mg at bedtime, dry mouth is the only side effect. Every once in awhile he will have an episode, but I am able to talk him through it. He tried every med, this was the only one that worked."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "My husband gave clomipramine a try yesterday and as a side effect he got very violent and angry."

Cassnjosh February 14, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I take this medication for obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety. This medication has been the saving grace of my life! The only side effects I have experienced are insomnia when I first started it or up a dose, but it goes away within a few days. And dry mouth. But I feel so much better freed of my obsessional thoughts I don't care! I take 150 mg a day and have been on it 5 years. No other medicine has ever been so effective for this long, and believe me I have taken everything you can name!"

Shannonld January 17, 2015

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I took Anafranil for only 3 months, it completely cured my 30 year obsessive compulsive disorder. Free of OCD for 15 years."

ocd no more November 16, 2014

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "This medicine has minimal side effects. It makes me less sad or reduces obsessive worry. It lowers my anxiety. It also helps with digestion regularity."

JW 84020 September 3, 2014

For Panic Disorder "Before taking Anafranil I had severe panic attacks and de-realization. Xanax was the only medicine that could help me but only temporarily at high doses. After unsuccessful experiences with other antidepressants which made my anxiety and mood much worse, I was ready to give up pharmaceuticals until I gave Anafranil a shot. I don't preach antidepressants or antianxiety medicines because I don't like them myself, but Anafranil seemed to be the only medicine that virtually eliminated my panic attacks without making me feel 'numb' and 'lifeless'. If you have panic disorder or depression like I do and have had no luck with SSRI's or SNRI's, I urge you to at least try Anafranil."

Royjones (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 3, 2014

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have suffered resistant depression/anxiety on and off for 30 years and now I have obsessive compulsive disorder and intrusive thoughts. I started on Anafranil 15 days ago and my OCD/ intrusive thoughts have almost gone I'm on only 100 mg per day and I'm starting to get my life back and the medicines haven't reached their full effect yet, so at this early stage I'm happy to recommend this medication and I hope this helps anyone that reads this, thank you."

Vicki I won May 5, 2014

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have suffered from obsessive thoughts for 26 years. I have tried different medications over the years. I was on Paxil for 10 years but I never ever felt totally well and I slowly stopped taking it and became very ill. I started taking clomipramine again seven years ago. Again it saved my life and I have been able to have a successful career. I take 250 mg a day. I hate the side effect of weight gain but I will never sacrifice my mental health to lose weight."

hapi February 9, 2014

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I started taking this medication 2 months ago, starting on 25mg but was too high as the side effects were bad for me so I started on 10mg slowly to 20mg and I think it has made a big difference. I am doing CBT too but the anxiety has decreased significantly. I suffer from intrusive thoughts and this helps it become more manageable and I feel that I'm living again!"

MelissaDutfield (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Anafranil has always worked superbly for my obsessive compulsive disorder and I have used this medicine intermittently for 30 years. My mistake has always been to completely stop when I feel well - it always comes back. Although an amazing medicine, the downside is that it takes about 8 weeks for the medicine to work and before that I usually feel worse. And the side effects can be a challenge."

mciain3 (taken for 10 years or more) January 18, 2014

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "It has worked really well for my severe OCD, depression, anxiety and panic. It stabalizes my mood too. The side effects are awful for me, though. Sexual side effects (like my genitals are numb) and severe constipation are the two side effects that keep me from being on a more therapeutic dose. At 100mg, the side effects are bad. At 50mg I'm OK in terms of side effects, but the benefits are minimal. I will be going up to 75mg and see how that goes. In the past I had been on 150mg and then 200mg. I had never been happier. I think I may have been too happy rather than normal happy, though."

helps me November 11, 2013

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "After 6 years with very strong depression that nothing helps, this medicine saved my life. It takes more then a month to kick in and it continues to grow for full year but after you use it you fill strong and don't think about depression anymore. If you have resistant depression you must try this. It's a totally different class than the rest. I also tried all the natural 5HTP, St. John's Wort and the rest and nothing helped."

alon22 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 6, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "My 13 yo daughter is on this. None of the SSRIs worked to control her Obsessive compulsive disorder. Anafranil had been awesome."

AmateurParent (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2013

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Works better on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder than on depression. Also helps one sleep and counters nervous diarrhea."

Nutcracker44 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 16, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started out good, then headaches then sleep problems. After that muscle spasms, also weakness, although I started feeling better to start with as far as my mood and depression."

shb (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2013

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have used Anafranil on and off for 30 years. Each time it has worked superbly. I stop and then start again about 2 years later, for a period of about 4-6 months. Presently taking 200 mg along with Beta Blockers - the best experience ever: I am happier, more confident and less anxious than ever in my life. Anafranil side effects are sometimes bad: loss of appetite, sexual dysfunction and blurred vision tend to him me badly. Also can take 2-3 months before they really work. But worth the wait, even though it feels for a while as though it makes you feel worse. Outstanding medicine - a life saver!!"

Maciain (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2013

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Anafranil : Most likely the best medicine for obsessive compulsive disorder, overall. Yet each person has their own body chemistry/energy issues. Most people with OCD need about 100 to 200 mg at night. The key is to GRADUALLY go up in dose. This will give your body TIME to ADJUST to Anafranil. I am now up to 150mg, after 3 months and I am feeling much better. Much less OCD thoughts. Yes, sexual side effects...as with any OCD medicine. I used to take high dose Paxil for 8 years and it just wore out, OCD came back. I think I will try Anafranil 200 or 225 mgs, stay on it for a year, then see how I do as I try to wean down the dose to 50 or so."

Scottyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "Have been on Anafranil for 5 weeks now. Prior to starting this medication I tried Lexapro (horrible panic attacks no sleep), Zoloft (made me depressed, worsened anxiety), Cymbalta (dreamlike state, made me totally dysfunctional), dothiepin (slightly alleviated anxiety but not much). I have only taken Anafranil for 5 weeks and it has already cured me of chronic anxiety, panic attacks. Took 4 weeks to really start working but turned out to be a surprisingly effective medicine. I feel great for the first time in years and am starting to get my life back. It has also helped my agoraphobia a great deal, magical stuff."

dandalion January 19, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "This drug was a MIRACLE for me! My problem was that I was always LATE for any and every little thing I attempted to do and it was ruining my life. It is VERY baffling for me because I started with only 25 mg and within FOUR days I was AUTOMATICALLY, not just on time, but EARLY for everything, without any thought or effort! I was ecstatic. This phase lasted 3 weeks. The doc said I'd be a Super Woman when she amped me up to 50 mg. Well, that made it STOP working! I began to slowly regress, and then started to be extremely drowsy to the point of even falling asleep at the wheel -- and worse, it wasn't even working! We experimented with it but it NEVER worked again and I am super sad about that."

Luahna (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2013