User Reviews for Anafranil

Anafranil has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 81 ratings on Drugs.com. 78% of those users who reviewed Anafranil reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome   9.0
Panic Disorder   8.3
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder   8.2
Depression   7.6
Summary of Anafranil reviews 8.2 81 reviews

Reviews for Anafranil

Hope January 28, 2021

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I had anxiety and intrusive obsessive thoughts so bad that I had insomnia for 3 years. I was an absolute mess lost 50lbs and could barley function. I ended up hospitalized for a week and put on Anafranil 50mg at night. It took about two weeks but I started to see a light at the end of a very dark tunnel! I had already tried almost everything on the market and Anafranil finally helped! Today is 7 years now that I have been on this medication. I feel great and it saved my life!!”

Kat · Taken for 10 years or more November 10, 2020

For Panic Disorder: “I have been on this clomipramine since I was 9 years old. It has been the best thing for me. When I had taken myself off cold Turkey 4 years ago, I suffered greatly until deciding to go back on. But unfortunately I didn't give it enough time to work before deciding I had become immune. Try others for the next three years. A little over a month ago I decided to try again with this anafrinil, and was put on a higher dosage. 25 mg, x2 a day as needed. Now I don't have to take it everyday! Only as needed and it's an instant calming effect!”

johnsmith27 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This drug was a miracle for me. I have irritable bowel syndrome, my main symptoms are urgency to poop, loose stools and chronic pain in the intestines. But I had to stop taking Anafranil because it gave me a horrible skin side effect on my testicles [genitals]. If you have Irriable bowel syndrome diarrhea you should try it.”

Anonymous August 30, 2020

For Panic Disorder: “Anafranil is a life saver. I had been suffering from panic attacks and OCD for 4 years without finding a solution. I tried other medicine in vain. I am so happy now ”

Steve · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 20, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Bear in mind that this, like any medication, may work differently for you, but I can attest to the point that it does not work for everyone. I had a combination of ocd and depression. I took Anafranil for months. For one thing, it didn't do squat for the condition. It didn't help one bit. What it did was make me so tired and lethargic that I could not do a thing. I failed a college semester because I simply could not keep myself awake and there was not enough caffeine on earth to do it. It made my situation many times worse.”

BeFree · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I took Anafranil for 5 months at a dose of 25mgs. Definitely took some power away from the intrusive thoughts but not fully. Had a hard time with being tired in the morning, terrible dreams, mild consultation. On a positive note I did not gain any weight and was able to workout regularly. Tried to go up to 50mg but that got rid of my libido. Felt like taking an upper and downer at the same time. Some of the time I felt good, other times I felt depressed. Unfortunately, couldn’t tolerate a higher dose. But if you really need to shut off the noise this may be the way to go. Best of luck.”

Marc · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 5, 2020

For Panic Disorder: “On 100 mg Anafranil and it makes me calm and I don't worry about things any more but can still have panic attacks. Side effects : makes me sweat when it's warm a lot .”

Dev India · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2020

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Clomipramine is the best medication for OCD. I have tried paroxetine, fluoxetine etc but none of them works as much as the clomipramine works. I took it high dosages 75mg per day..now my OCD has gone. It would be also very helpful if you consult with a therapist..my doctors give me sleeping medicine first those doctors are fraud !!!!According to my experience just take the dosage regularly at a certain amount, you will be cured quickly! Good Luck ”

Opt November 27, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “The best medication so far for OCD is anafranil. It’s completely cured my OCD. Remember OCD is just a medical problem due to unbalanced chemicals in you brain. It’s not you, it’s your brain sending you false messages. Don’t believe the obsessive thoughts, they may feel real but they are fake !”

accn · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 27, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Have had depression since a young teen and started to have OCD thoughts and compulsions at about 15. Tried several anti depressants which always helped (apart from Prozac) with my mood but never with the OCD. Psychiatrist said that anafranil was basically my last hope and I have been on it now for nearly 2 years. 25mg twice a day. My obsessive thoughts are practically gone and the anxiety around my compulsions is so mild. Never felt sick or sleepy starting on them either. Very hard to find this medication anywhere around where I live in Ireland. Always has to be ordered in advance.”

kellymcnamara1994 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 28, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Anafranil is AMAZING for OCD. I’ve tried Zoloft, Prozac and Luvox— but they all made me hypomanic because I have bipolar tendencies. Anafranil, however, has not done that, but rather almost cured me of my OCD (in conjunction with CBT)! I have intrusive thoughts maybe 2x a day or less! Before that they were constant (and so were the compulsions). OCD was ruining my life for 10 years and now I’m 24 and I’m feeling great :) I’m on other meds for depression and anxiety and ADD.”

Laura April 22, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “It (anafranil) saved my life - I highly recommend it for OCD”

cbtodacb · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 5, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “This medication was a life-saver for me after years and years of very, very horrible social phobia and terrible panic attacks (lasting hours) in relation to having committed the 'unforgivable sin' (something Jesus Christ warned of committing). My social phobia had begun when I was 15 years old and nothing had helped up until starting Anafranil at 23 years old. Had tried several SSRI's with no help i.e. Lexapro at 60mg daily for years. Anafranil (at a high dose, 12 x 25mg tablets daily) has completely taken my social phobia away as well as my 'unforgivable sin' obsessions. Has been effective for 5 years and is still very effective. Gave me my life back. I use in conjunction with 4mg of Clonazepam and 75mg of Lamitrogine daily.”

JB · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2019

“I have tried everything for my PMDD, nothing has worked, until I tried Anafranil - anafranil works for PMDD. Now I hardly feel the hormone induced anxiety and depressive symptoms at all between ovulation and my period, two weeks that used to be hell for me. Side effects that I got are loss of appetite and dry mouth. Not a problem to live with.”

cier · Taken for 10 years or more January 26, 2019

For Depression: “This excellent for depression, but use of the established big names such as NOVARTIS or CIBA GEIGY. I found the anafranil from ALFASIGMA in Milan, Italy not good and believe that this brand has INFERIOR pills.”

Eli · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “This drug gave me my life back. After unsuccessfully being treated by various doses of Escitalopram and Paroxetine for nearly half a year my doctor prescribed Anafranil (Clomipramine is the generic name). What a difference it made! It takes longer to kick in, in my case precisely 4 weeks but it is well worth the long wait.”

Redgraves · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 29, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Anafranil has completely cured me of my OCD. I suffered from terrible intrusive thoughts since I was a child, however, I was not correctly diagnosed until adulthood. I have been on 6 25mg tablets a day and it has completely changed my life for the better. Before Anafranil, I was fearful to leave my house because I was scared of having awful thoughts about the people I loved. I have taken Anafranil for three years and I am so well I forget I have OCD. I can think of the thoughts that terrified me so much before and not feel anything. I can acknowledge that they are irrational thoughts and move on. I have had minimal side effects and in fact lost 45kgs while on the tablets (I was previously on Lexapro, which added 35kg). Different medication affects people differently but I can honestly say that I am finally living the life I always wanted to live and it’s all because of Anafranil.”

medtester · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 28, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “If you're compulsively looking for evidence for why or why you shouldn't take this medication, stop right now and leave this website! Seriously. Been there many times. Anafranil is a promising drug for the majority of people with OCD and it's worth a shot. I gave it a solid 10 weeks and decided it wasn't the med for me (too many side effects such as fatigue etc and did not feel like myself on it). Feeling a little better w/o it so far (knock on wood), but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. The only way is to know is to try it, and it won't hurt you. Listen to your doctors, but always listen to your body first. If something feels off, don't ignore it. Your doctors want the best for you, but only you can truly know what's working and what isn't. Now, that said, take a leap of faith and stop researching. My personal experience with this drug should mean nothing to you.”

Pregnant Postpartum Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “So I’ve been taking Anafranil for about 8 weeks now. I started at 25 mg and now I’m at 100 mg.. gradually moving up as time goes on. I didn’t have OCD until I got pregnant with my daughter and started having horrible intrusive thoughts that made me depressed. I’ve tried Zoloft, Lexapro, Paxil and now this one. This has worked for the most part but it hasn’t “cured” anything. I still have my days but out of all the medication I’ve tried this has been the best. Thankful overall for this medication. Give it a try and try to remember these kind of meds take time to work. Sending positive energy to you all!”

User3030 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 12, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I definitely recommend Anafranil to anyone suffering from moderate to severe OCD. While on this medication I noticed a great reduction in my OCD symptoms and it had elevated my mood even. Though a few of this medication's side effects might be a little troublesome, generally you get used to it and it isn't life changing.”

Betty · Taken for 10 years or more July 31, 2018

For Depression: “I have been using Anafranil (clomipramine) for more than 10 years. It has done wonders. I only take 25mg, but that is enough for my OCD. I can take more if I want but don't want any side effects. Anafranil did what no other antidepressant could do. It is an older drug but for me it's better.”

wil · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2018

For Panic Disorder: “I was suffering from anxiety and was prescribed anafranil by my GP. Over a period of about a week my anxiety increased to the point that I was not well enough to go into work. I contacted my GP who increased the dosage. Within a few days I became so anxious I was unable to leave the house. I also suffered shaking and felt so weak that I stayed in bed. But worst of all I started having suicidal thoughts. At this point another GP from the practice called out to see me at home and took me off anafranil and onto a short term course of diazepam/temazapam. My situation improved and stabilised. In the longer term I was prescribed venlafaxine which helped with my condition. If you start having any suicidal thoughts ring someone immediately!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I have been depressed for years and just recently discovered I had OCD. Only 1 or 2 medications would help and then they would stop. I tried holistic supplements and diet and nothing helped. I was becoming hopeless and then I heard about someone who tried Anafranil. I started on 25 mg and gradually went to 150 mg. Finally after 4 or 5 weeks I started feeling better. I wanted to get up and go to work in the morning. Side effects were a dry mouth, insomnia and some dizziness but I'm hoping they will go away with time. I would recommend it”

GeorgeL · Taken for 10 years or more April 26, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “been on since 1990 25mg bedtime and has worked fantastic for my OCD which surfaced after a grand mal seizure generic ineffective - try to use the brand worst side effect is yawning can also open capsule and dilute in water partially if needed”

kitkaplan April 25, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I’ve been suicidal daily for 37 years. Four inpatient visits, two outpatient, 40 yrs of therapy and 30+ ineffective, neurotoxic meds, all past poop-out, 12+ at a time. At 63, dry mouth has destroyed my teeth and ALL need to be pulled. I have terrifying conscious blackouts up to 24 hrs and no short term memory. For decades I searched for every synonym for uncontrollable thoughts and talking, but nothing fit. Until I heard an OCD trait called ”Memory Hoarding.” Hoard means to protect, not collect, thoughts, feelings and experiences I fear losing. I tell someone a ”story” about these. Out loud and alone, from when I wake until I sleep. I retell it to embellish, then again to shorten. I do it in my head when I'm talking to people so I feel disconnected. I started 25mg of Anafranil, the highest rated drug I know, 3 weeks ago. In one week, I stopped feeling suicidal. No panic attacks or rage. I still tell stories, but not out loud, I sometimes can stop a little. Miraculous!”