User Reviews for Anafranil

Learn more about Anafranil.

Panic Disorder 6 reviews 19 medications

8.9
Depression 3 reviews 79 medications

8.3
Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1 reviews 139 medications

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 36 reviews 13 medications

Summary of Anafranil reviews 46 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Anafranil

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have been taking Anafranil 100mg for a year now and it has changed my life. I have battled with OCD, severe anxiety, panic disorders and intrusive thoughts since I was young. While trying different drugs finally at the age of 40 one drug works for me and this is it. I still have the "thoughts" but instead of obsessing over them they pass by like moving cars. The side effects are bothersome dealing with constipation, bloating, sweating, insomnia, twitches. I don't believe I can ever function without this medication and instead maybe lower my dosage to see if it reduces the side effects."

Living my Life (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 2, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I began taking this drug in 1990. It gave me my life back. I have taken it for 27 years and it still works for me. For me the side effects are worth enduring. I also take buspar twice a day for these 27 years."

Anonymous February 15, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have severe early onset OCD I have found that clomipramine (anafranil) has taken the edge off of it. I've been taking it for 4.5 years SLOWLY building up to 200mg but have found that the side effects of this medication to be too much, in particular the excessive sweating. I am regularly dripping with sweat to the point I have been asked if it is raining outside because I'm soaked. I'm thinking of coming off of it because the sweating is exacerbating the OCD as I now have obsessions about it and I'm constantly worried about people looking at me because I'm sweating so much, which isn't very feminine. I've tried to come off of it a few times but every time I do my OCD regresses into overdrive- highlighting how affective it is for OCD"

UK Bound (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I've been taking this medication for major depression for 14 years now. 17 years ago I was given big doses of steroids due to problems resulting from back surgery. Those high doses of steroids pushed me into major depression. After 3 1/2 years of trying to find a medication that worked for me, I was prescribed Anafranil. Within two days I was seeing positive results. Within a year of taking Anafranil I was free of depression. I've been taking Anafranil ever since - somewhat afraid to stop. There are many side effects - that I often get tired of - but they pale compared to the relief I received from this medication. It is the most serotonergic of the tricyclics and I feel should be more widely tried for major depression."

Cheesus July 13, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "1I was on anafranil many years ago. Took it for 5 years. Unfortunately, after 5 years, it stopped working for me. But, it is a wonder medication. Give it a try. More than likely, it will work for you. If not, give fluvoxamine a try. It is another really good one. Otnly side effect was dry mouth. Small price to pay for the wonder effects I got from anafranil. Give it a try. When I took it, there was no co-pay. Nowadays, there probably will be a co-pay, but probably not a bad one."

pcworkman (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 25, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder "I had a break up and was suffering extreme anxiety and depression. I was not functioning at work, in life and suffered for several months. I was getting worse and worse, not sleeping and finally broke down and decided to take an anti depressant. After about 4 days something changed a little within a two weeks my anxiety went away and I began sleeping again as well. I weaned off of the ativan I was taking and this drug saved my life. I probably would have been hospitalized if I didn't go on it. Side effects, sweating (a lot), constipation, and of course ejaculatory issues but still could have sex for my partner. This side effects were easy to deal with when compared to my anxiety. Save my life!!!"

Thank Ful (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I was put on this medication earlier this year for OCD. I didn't really notice a difference other then it made me tired about a half hour after taking it. It did not seem to improve my OCD symptoms. However I do wonder if I was on a high enough dose. My doctor only had me on 50 MG and I have a high tolerance to med so I might give this another shot at a higher dosage. Also I was only on it for a few weeks I think."

micky2015 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "This medication was a miracle for my OCD like I swear my intrusive thoughts had almost gone! I was able to do things that I couldn't do with OCD! Sadly I couldn't continue it as I got a really bad side affect of low blood pressure! I wasn't able to do much during this time. It was worth a try though!"

Tay99 November 16, 2015

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder "I was suffering panic attacks, anxiety, depression and irritable bowel syndrome. I started on half a 75 mg for two weeks and then full tablet. The side effects were a bit of a challenge some days but the up side was I had good days very early into taking. I started them four weeks ago and panic attacks are gone, minimal anxiety now and depression lifted considerably, also no more IBS. one thing that no tablet cannot do is change how you think. I am very, very blessed!"

Jillay November 12, 2015

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "This medicine saved my teenager from horrible OCD. 200mg at bedtime, dry mouth is the only side effect. Every once in awhile he will have an episode, but I am able to talk him through it. He tried every med, this was the only one that worked."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2015

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "My husband gave clomipramine a try yesterday and as a side effect he got very violent and angry."

Cassnjosh February 14, 2015

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I take this medication for obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety. This medication has been the saving grace of my life! The only side effects I have experienced are insomnia when I first started it or up a dose, but it goes away within a few days. And dry mouth. But I feel so much better freed of my obsessional thoughts I don't care! I take 150 mg a day and have been on it 5 years. No other medicine has ever been so effective for this long, and believe me I have taken everything you can name!"

Shannonld January 17, 2015

169 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I took Anafranil for only 3 months, it completely cured my 30 year obsessive compulsive disorder. Free of OCD for 15 years."

ocd no more November 16, 2014

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "This medicine has minimal side effects. It makes me less sad or reduces obsessive worry. It lowers my anxiety. It also helps with digestion regularity."

JW 84020 September 3, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder "Before taking Anafranil I had severe panic attacks and de-realization. Xanax was the only medicine that could help me but only temporarily at high doses. After unsuccessful experiences with other antidepressants which made my anxiety and mood much worse, I was ready to give up pharmaceuticals until I gave Anafranil a shot. I don't preach antidepressants or antianxiety medicines because I don't like them myself, but Anafranil seemed to be the only medicine that virtually eliminated my panic attacks without making me feel 'numb' and 'lifeless'. If you have panic disorder or depression like I do and have had no luck with SSRI's or SNRI's, I urge you to at least try Anafranil."

Royjones (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 3, 2014

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have suffered resistant depression/anxiety on and off for 30 years and now I have obsessive compulsive disorder and intrusive thoughts. I started on Anafranil 15 days ago and my OCD/ intrusive thoughts have almost gone I'm on only 100 mg per day and I'm starting to get my life back and the medicines haven't reached their full effect yet, so at this early stage I'm happy to recommend this medication and I hope this helps anyone that reads this, thank you."

Vicki I won May 5, 2014

200 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have suffered from obsessive thoughts for 26 years. I have tried different medications over the years. I was on Paxil for 10 years but I never ever felt totally well and I slowly stopped taking it and became very ill. I started taking clomipramine again seven years ago. Again it saved my life and I have been able to have a successful career. I take 250 mg a day. I hate the side effect of weight gain but I will never sacrifice my mental health to lose weight."

hapi February 9, 2014

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I started taking this medication 2 months ago, starting on 25mg but was too high as the side effects were bad for me so I started on 10mg slowly to 20mg and I think it has made a big difference. I am doing CBT too but the anxiety has decreased significantly. I suffer from intrusive thoughts and this helps it become more manageable and I feel that I'm living again!"

MelissaDutfield (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2014

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Anafranil has always worked superbly for my obsessive compulsive disorder and I have used this medicine intermittently for 30 years. My mistake has always been to completely stop when I feel well - it always comes back. Although an amazing medicine, the downside is that it takes about 8 weeks for the medicine to work and before that I usually feel worse. And the side effects can be a challenge."

mciain3 (taken for 10 years or more) January 18, 2014

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "It has worked really well for my severe OCD, depression, anxiety and panic. It stabalizes my mood too. The side effects are awful for me, though. Sexual side effects (like my genitals are numb) and severe constipation are the two side effects that keep me from being on a more therapeutic dose. At 100mg, the side effects are bad. At 50mg I'm OK in terms of side effects, but the benefits are minimal. I will be going up to 75mg and see how that goes. In the past I had been on 150mg and then 200mg. I had never been happier. I think I may have been too happy rather than normal happy, though."

helps me November 11, 2013

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "After 6 years with very strong depression that nothing helps, this medicine saved my life. It takes more then a month to kick in and it continues to grow for full year but after you use it you fill strong and don't think about depression anymore. If you have resistant depression you must try this. It's a totally different class than the rest. I also tried all the natural 5HTP, St. John's Wort and the rest and nothing helped."

alon22 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 6, 2013

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "My 13 yo daughter is on this. None of the SSRIs worked to control her Obsessive compulsive disorder. Anafranil had been awesome."

AmateurParent (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2013

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Works better on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder than on depression. Also helps one sleep and counters nervous diarrhea."

Nutcracker44 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 16, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started out good, then headaches then sleep problems. After that muscle spasms, also weakness, although I started feeling better to start with as far as my mood and depression."

shb (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2013

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have used Anafranil on and off for 30 years. Each time it has worked superbly. I stop and then start again about 2 years later, for a period of about 4-6 months. Presently taking 200 mg along with Beta Blockers - the best experience ever: I am happier, more confident and less anxious than ever in my life. Anafranil side effects are sometimes bad: loss of appetite, sexual dysfunction and blurred vision tend to him me badly. Also can take 2-3 months before they really work. But worth the wait, even though it feels for a while as though it makes you feel worse. Outstanding medicine - a life saver!!"

Maciain (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2013