User Reviews for Anafranil

Depression
7.6

Summary of Anafranil reviews 7.9 66 reviews

Reviews for Anafranil

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Anafranil has completely cured me of my OCD. I suffered from terrible intrusive thoughts since I was a child, however, I was not correctly diagnosed until adulthood. I have been on 6 25mg tablets a day and it has completely changed my life for the better. Before Anafranil, I was fearful to leave my house because I was scared of having awful thoughts about the people I loved. I have taken Anafranil for three years and I am so well I forget I have OCD. I can think of the thoughts that terrified me so much before and not feel anything. I can acknowledge that they are irrational thoughts and move on. I have had minimal side effects and in fact lost 45kgs while on the tablets (I was previously on Lexapro, which added 35kg). Different medication affects people differently but I can honestly say that I am finally living the life I always wanted to live and it’s all because of Anafranil."

Redgraves (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "If you're compulsively looking for evidence for why or why you shouldn't take this medication, stop right now and leave this website! Seriously. Been there many times. Anafranil is a promising drug for the majority of people with OCD and it's worth a shot. I gave it a solid 10 weeks and decided it wasn't the med for me (too many side effects such as fatigue etc and did not feel like myself on it). Feeling a little better w/o it so far (knock on wood), but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. The only way is to know is to try it, and it won't hurt you. Listen to your doctors, but always listen to your body first. If something feels off, don't ignore it. Your doctors want the best for you, but only you can truly know what's working and what isn't. Now, that said, take a leap of faith and stop researching. My personal experience with this drug should mean nothing to you."

medtester (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "So I’ve been taking Anafranil for about 8 weeks now. I started at 25 mg and now I’m at 100 mg.. gradually moving up as time goes on. I didn’t have OCD until I got pregnant with my daughter and started having horrible intrusive thoughts that made me depressed. I’ve tried Zoloft, Lexapro, Paxil and now this one. This has worked for the most part but it hasn’t “cured” anything. I still have my days but out of all the medication I’ve tried this has been the best. Thankful overall for this medication. Give it a try and try to remember these kind of meds take time to work. Sending positive energy to you all!"

Pregnant Postpartum Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I definitely recommend Anafranil to anyone suffering from moderate to severe OCD. While on this medication I noticed a great reduction in my OCD symptoms and it had elevated my mood even. Though a few of this medication's side effects might be a little troublesome, generally you get used to it and it isn't life changing."

User3030 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2018

For Depression "I have been using Anafranil (clomipramine) for more than 10 years. It has done wonders. I only take 25mg, but that is enough for my OCD. I can take more if I want but don't want any side effects. Anafranil did what no other antidepressant could do. It is an older drug but for me it's better."

Betty (taken for 10 years or more) July 31, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I was suffering from anxiety and was prescribed anafranil by my GP. Over a period of about a week my anxiety increased to the point that I was not well enough to go into work. I contacted my GP who increased the dosage. Within a few days I became so anxious I was unable to leave the house. I also suffered shaking and felt so weak that I stayed in bed. But worst of all I started having suicidal thoughts. At this point another GP from the practice called out to see me at home and took me off anafranil and onto a short term course of diazepam/temazapam. My situation improved and stabilised. In the longer term I was prescribed venlafaxine which helped with my condition. If you start having any suicidal thoughts ring someone immediately!"

wil (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have been depressed for years and just recently discovered I had OCD. Only 1 or 2 medications would help and then they would stop. I tried holistic supplements and diet and nothing helped. I was becoming hopeless and then I heard about someone who tried Anafranil. I started on 25 mg and gradually went to 150 mg. Finally after 4 or 5 weeks I started feeling better. I wanted to get up and go to work in the morning. Side effects were a dry mouth, insomnia and some dizziness but I'm hoping they will go away with time. I would recommend it"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "been on since 1990 25mg bedtime and has worked fantastic for my OCD which surfaced after a grand mal seizure generic ineffective - try to use the brand worst side effect is yawning can also open capsule and dilute in water partially if needed"

GeorgeL (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I’ve been suicidal daily for 37 years. Four inpatient visits, two outpatient, 40 yrs of therapy and 30+ ineffective, neurotoxic meds, all past poop-out, 12+ at a time. At 63, dry mouth has destroyed my teeth and ALL need to be pulled. I have terrifying conscious blackouts up to 24 hrs and no short term memory. For decades I searched for every synonym for uncontrollable thoughts and talking, but nothing fit. Until I heard an OCD trait called ”Memory Hoarding.” Hoard means to protect, not collect, thoughts, feelings and experiences I fear losing. I tell someone a ”story” about these. Out loud and alone, from when I wake until I sleep. I retell it to embellish, then again to shorten. I do it in my head when I'm talking to people so I feel disconnected. I started 25mg of Anafranil, the highest rated drug I know, 3 weeks ago. In one week, I stopped feeling suicidal. No panic attacks or rage. I still tell stories, but not out loud, I sometimes can stop a little. Miraculous!"

kitkaplan April 25, 2018

For Depression "I was prescribed Anafranil for depression after having a stillborn baby. It was given to me intravenously and during one treatment I had a fit which caused my shoulder to dislocate. Following this I was prescribed a smaller dose in tablet form which made no difference to my depression. Not long after I had another fit which again resulted in a dislocated shoulder! Following this second incident I stopped taking the drug. All in all my shoulder dislocated 14 times due to damage caused by this drug until it was finally operated on but I never gained full use of the arm and still experience pain at times. I felt my personality had changed and I was unable to function and finally got better by talking to a very understanding psychologist . I still have episodes of depression but have learned to cope with them with determination and the help of relatives and friend. Needless to say I was not impressed with Anafranil in my case."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I was diagnosed with OCD when I was 18/19, but I'd had intrusive thoughts from as early as I can remember. It just got worse to the point I was suicidal in my late teens. Anyway, luckily the psychiatrist I saw was able to diagnose me and prescribe me Anafranil. I can honestly say I probably owe my life to this medication. I took it for a number of years, before switching to sertraline. I find anafranil does make me drowsy, but the effectiveness of it is worth it at times. Not everyone can take SSRIs. I'd recommend trying this medication for OCD or other anxiety disorders :) Peace."

SarahAustralis (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 9, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have been taking Anafranil 200mg for OCD for three months and it's not working. I'm getting severe anxiety, intrusive thoughts and tremors. My GP gave me diazepam 2mg for when I get really bad and that helps but last week he told me to stop taking it, and the psychiatrist told me to just ignore my thoughts and anxiety. I can't get into a private psychiatrist or a public one for a second opinion so I don't know what to do."

Wilbur77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Took this medication for 5 months at 250mg and it done nothing for my OCD and GAD. It actually made my anxiety worse. So glad to be off it."

Lala1234511 December 16, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I battled with OCD since being a child but I was only diagnosed after being hospitalised in my forties. I have been taking clomipramine at 250mg a day along with antipsychotics for the last 5 years. The intrusive thoughts that used to be so crippling have greatly reduced to a level I can handle. Clomipramine saved my life, literally, as I was hospitalised twice for attempted suicide. The only downside are the side effects, for me, as a man, the impotence and loss of libido are difficult to live with but it's a price worth paying."

Wolfman05 November 7, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "This medication is absolutely life changing. After years of suffering anxiety OCD with mostly intrusive racing thoughts that caused insomnia this medication was a miracle!! I had tried so many failed medications and therapies that I became hopeless. I was prescribed this medication after being hospitalized and have never been back that was over 2 years ago. It took 4 weeks to work please give it time. I feel like I have my life back!"

Anonymous October 4, 2017

For Depression "I got prescribed Anafranil after not impressive effects of tritico and zoloft, and yeah, it worked for a few months, but I had to up my dosage every now and then. However after around 4 months of taking it, it stopped working, I capped the dosage, and had to switch therapists, as the former had no idea what to do with severe depression. However what I'd like to share is the withdrawal part. In the time I was off it, it was really bad, imagine being constantly drunk. You can not focus, your view is shifting, everything seems to be floating, also like a lagging game, it feels as the visual part comes later than the audio. Really weird, so if you are on it or planning to try, ask your doctor for a way to take it out gradually."

Push91 September 14, 2017

For Depression "Was on Effexor, Seroquel and Prothiaden but could not shift the constant thoughts of killing myself. Driving became a night mare, just leaving the house was impossible as my thoughts kept telling me to walk in front of a bus etc etc. Anafranil literally saved my life and gave me back the wish to live. Most effective drug I have ever used and gradual withdrawal worked really well. Thoughts not completely gone but no pressure anymore, they just drive on by."

Man U Fan (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 10, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I was on Effexor for 3 months and I really liked it besides the fact it didn't help with my obsessive/intrusive thoughts. I did quiet a bit of research on medications and decided to ask my doctor if I could try Anafranil. I have been on Anafranil for a month now and it has really helped with the obsessing over intrusive meaningless thoughts. In the beginning it did spike my anxiety which I used a benzodiazepine to help with that until the anxiety calmed down. After that, I noticed I started to feel dizzy when I stood up fast and it was another side effect. At this point I began to get nervous but I heard so much good reviews about this drug I really wanted it to work. After making it through my first month with it, the side effects began to lessen."

Shaedynn August 31, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "After a long 12 years of being on Effexor XR my anxiety OCD was beginning to get worse, my GP felt it necessary to increase my Effexor to 150 mg and although I had done that in the passed Effexor was just not working anymore and actually began working against me, awful anxiety at night time and my OCD "I have pure-o" and I felt I couldn't get things under control, I had enough and it was time for change, I saw a different GP who was knowledgeable with Anxiety and he switched me to CLOMIPRAMINE/ANAFRANIL 50 mg to start, I only had a few bad days from the initial switch because Effexor can be nasty to come off but then my life came back and I feel great! Just remember nothing will rid you of OCD but this med is great to manage it!"

marko2751 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I've only been on this medicine for 3 weeks but it's already doing wonders. I still have "the thoughts" but they don't "take root" like they normally do. They come and go throughout the day rather than being ALL I can think about. My Dr is slowly upping my dose to 100mg, and I'm currently on 75mg and already seeing benefits. It takes a few weeks to REALLY start working so if you are on week 1 or 2 give it some time. It's been amazing at helping me fight my compulsions. It makes me really believe OCD is a MEDICAL issue. The morning is still the worst for me, when all my thoughts first hit me, but since I've started this drug, I can make it through the day so, so much easier."

LynnCtob3 June 12, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have been taking Anafranil 100mg for a year now and it has changed my life. I have battled with OCD, severe anxiety, panic disorders and intrusive thoughts since I was young. While trying different drugs finally at the age of 40 one drug works for me and this is it. I still have the "thoughts" but instead of obsessing over them they pass by like moving cars. The side effects are bothersome dealing with constipation, bloating, sweating, insomnia, twitches. I don't believe I can ever function without this medication and instead maybe lower my dosage to see if it reduces the side effects."

Living my Life (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 2, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I began taking this drug in 1990. It gave me my life back. I have taken it for 27 years and it still works for me. For me the side effects are worth enduring. I also take buspar twice a day for these 27 years."

Anonymous February 15, 2017

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have severe early onset OCD I have found that clomipramine (anafranil) has taken the edge off of it. I've been taking it for 4.5 years SLOWLY building up to 200mg but have found that the side effects of this medication to be too much, in particular the excessive sweating. I am regularly dripping with sweat to the point I have been asked if it is raining outside because I'm soaked. I'm thinking of coming off of it because the sweating is exacerbating the OCD as I now have obsessions about it and I'm constantly worried about people looking at me because I'm sweating so much, which isn't very feminine. I've tried to come off of it a few times but every time I do my OCD regresses into overdrive- highlighting how affective it is for OCD"

UK Bound (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2016

For Depression "I've been taking this medication for major depression for 14 years now. 17 years ago I was given big doses of steroids due to problems resulting from back surgery. Those high doses of steroids pushed me into major depression. After 3 1/2 years of trying to find a medication that worked for me, I was prescribed Anafranil. Within two days I was seeing positive results. Within a year of taking Anafranil I was free of depression. I've been taking Anafranil ever since - somewhat afraid to stop. There are many side effects - that I often get tired of - but they pale compared to the relief I received from this medication. It is the most serotonergic of the tricyclics and I feel should be more widely tried for major depression."

Cheesus July 13, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "1I was on anafranil many years ago. Took it for 5 years. Unfortunately, after 5 years, it stopped working for me. But, it is a wonder medication. Give it a try. More than likely, it will work for you. If not, give fluvoxamine a try. It is another really good one. Otnly side effect was dry mouth. Small price to pay for the wonder effects I got from anafranil. Give it a try. When I took it, there was no co-pay. Nowadays, there probably will be a co-pay, but probably not a bad one."

pcworkman (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 25, 2016