User Reviews for Paxil

6.9
Postmenopausal Symptoms 1 reviews 202 medications

Summary of Paxil reviews 570 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Paxil

For Depression "Bad thoughts. Worsening depression gained 35 lbs in 6 months. Liver enzymes slightly off. I feel like a cow. I stopped taking it and am taking lexapro but still gaining weight. I have always been thin."

Mmarti March 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "My doctor weaned me off of Paxil a few weeks ago as it wasn't working. Three days after the last dose was the start of the two worst weeks of my life. It included migraines, nausea, decreased vision, when I turned my head or moved my eyes there was a whooshing sound in my head accompanied by extreme dizziness. Then there were the bouts of crying for no apparent reason. In summary I would call this poison not medicine."

Huro1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I was very hesitant to take medication as I had been raised to associate it with seriously mentally ill people in a negative way. Social anxiety had extreme physiological effects on me, though, that therapy could not fix, i.e. the inability to speak loudly over loud noises or when out somewhere like a club, and premature ejaculation. Paxil basically fixed this immediately. Paxil makes it so much easier to silence negative thoughts automatically. I was and am on a very low dose (10mg) and it works so well. It really did change my life. The only negative side effects are that it makes me sleepy. It also gave me a weird sensation in my teeth for the first month or so, but I actually enjoyed that feeling."

JG696 March 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Was on Paxil for 4 years because I could never handle the withdrawal symptoms. I had severe aches and electric shocks along with all flu symptoms. I finally slowly tapered off over 3 months with the liquid Paxil. I have been off of it now for at least 10 years. I have tried at least 100 different supplements and anti anxiety treatments.....I have tried them all...believe me.....it is hell on earth when you can't provide for your family. I even spent $4000 having all my mercury fillings removed. I had genetic testing of SNP polymorphism's that revealed MTHFR and MAO mutations. I found a genetic reason for my anxiety. In short I can't make neurotransmitters and when I do I can't break them down so they build up causing social anxiety."

Jubaea March 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "It worked, a little too well. I became indifferent to EVERYTHING. inside it was like a part of me was screaming, but my whole body and 90% of my brain just did what it needed too. I am normally a goofy, fun loving, hyper personality. I do get bouts of seemingly unshakable depression and anxiety, but while on this medication, I noticed a change in myself... beyond the tunnel vision, and kaleidoscopic hallucinations I had when waking up in the middle of the night... every night. the final straw was was seeing my now wife, looking like she lost her best friend, as I just wasn't myself. I stopped taking the mediation, and within 2 days started singing to her again, and nothing brought a smile like that to her face until we said "I do"."

42 February 26, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I have been taking paroxetine for about 2 yrs. I had dealt with social anxiety and depression my whole life and I'm 51 now. I could deal with it, but when I got a promotion and needed to facilitate mtgs, training etc. I would have panic attacks and it was horrible. I had tried a couple other meds. (lexipro, Prozac and they didn't help). I feel like a new person.. I actually feel ok for the first time in my life. I don't worry about what people think of me and I can actually be happy. I am so thankful to God and this drug!!"

shv51 February 25, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Been on Paxil for about 1 month starting my second it's been helping me a lot with my panic disorders & social experiences. My mg for Paxil is low 10mg. However, whoever is starting this medication don't get discourage it will take time for Paxil to kick in but it will be worth it at the end just set a daily reminder everyday to take it."

katharinne24 February 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "Paxil worked every time for me. I wouldn't say it save my life bc I believe God saved my life. But let me tell you it brings you back to normal sanity. When your not obsessing bout your anxiety or depression or feeling sad, that's when you know you hit the jack pot. Anxiety and depression come out of no where and Paxil helped every times. Been on for 11 years on and off. This time round bout 4th time took longer and little stronger dose but hang on. I swear to YOU it gets amazing. Not better but GREAT. LIFE IS SO GOOD. SEEK HELP"

SonyaBoBonya February 18, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "For years I felt depressed and shy and had anxiety but was too young to understand and definitely too shy to say anything . As I got older I decided to talk to my doctor on how I was feeling . After a few years on and off of anti depressants feeling so sick I couldn't take them anymore. And now I'm 21 I have been on Paxil for about 6 months. The first month was really hard because I felt so nauseous and shaky and heart kept racing and was extremely tired . But I fought through it all . And today for the first time I feel alive , happy , loved and most importantly I feel like myself and how I should have felt along time ago. Please do not drink on this medication or any other anti depressants. It will definitely slow the process down ."

ShaniaL February 14, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Got headaches and felt tired constantly so I switched to Prozac."

Alex858 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I've been on Paxil for about 30 days. The change in my mood has been positive and very gradual. Currently I take Latuda with Paxil at night. I'm not buzzing with joy but my outlook is positive and so I think the Paxil is doing it's job.... I'm just not sure."

SF Depressed Man (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I started on 10mg Paxil 2 months ago, and my life is changed. I was able to recognize how amazing life is without the shadow of anxiety which caused my depression. I came back to myself. My therapist recommended doing a trial of 20mg to see if my remaining anxiety issues could be subsided as well. I just started today and I feel a little more lethargic than I'd like to and I fear for my sex life. I'm going to try it for a while until my body adjusts and if I still feel out of sorts, I'm going to drop back down to 10mg. The first week or two of symptoms was pretty terrible, I was yawning excessively. VERY nauseous, tired often...but as soon as my body adjusted, an amazing sense of clarity came over me--first time in 15 years. Life changing."

LadyMadonna0 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I absolutely HATED this medication. I have been struggling with panic attacks and major depression since I was younger. I was put on this medication for about a year and my panic attacks were not so often. The downsides of medication Is that I felt little to no emotion, And had ZERO sex drive."

MeowxD January 31, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have had great success with Paxil. These personal comments we leave should really be considered with a 'grain of salt'. There are so many unknown variables which dictate success of a drug on one person and failure with the same drug on another person. If you read through the thread of helpful comments here you will see that there is the need to be very candid with your health care provider and be ready to try different medications until you find satisfaction. These medications DO WORK. You just have to find the right one for you. Have faith. You will find the right med for you. Life is amazing and will go on and get better!! Never give up. Every day is a new chance."

SeanfromCanada January 26, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I don't understand why people quit after 3 days starting it. It made them too anxious or depressed - isn't this why you are taking it? It doesn't work overnight. I too am very impatient and would prefer a quick fix. But the first 2 weeks are rough but if your persevere the benefits outweigh the startup. I'm into my 3rd week and it's working really well it is like a lightbulb moment. I gave a 9 because for the life of me I cannot orgasm but I'll take that over the suicidal thoughts and feeling lifeless anyday... remember give it time your brain needs to adjust... stay strong x"

Ethan100 January 23, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "My depression is weird, mostly due to tapering off of and recovering from benzodiazepine dependency. I have awful anhedonia and have been watching my life crumble in slow motion over the past year. I know I needed to do something. The Paxil is a stopgap solution but so far I'm starting to climb my way out. I can't really attest to side effects. The worst I guess is a dry mouth and fuzzy thinking, but honestly, I've been depressed for so long, I can't say my thinking has been that great to begin with. I was afraid it would lower my libido and I'd have anorgasmia, but so far no. My logic is thusly, I may end up losing my job because of "personal problems". Won't it be nice if I can actually handle such an eventuality instead of giving up?"

Encouraging results so far January 21, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "IT started in the spring of 1996. I began having stomach pains horribly EVERYDAY. Nausea. I had made a major life change in going into something with a 4 and 1 year old that I did not want to really do but my wife wanted BAD... By September of that year, I had become in such pain and lost 50lbs that my intern put me in the hospital for one week with EVERY test of the digestive system. Long story short, I left the hospital with a diagnosis of GAD and secondary IBS. Went home and didn't sleep one week, so doctor put me in a private mental home. They put me on 1mg klonopin and 20mg paxil and 50mg Trazadone for sleep. In 5 days, NO stomach problems at all. Ate 3 square meals, played ball, went to gymn. WAS ALIVE AGAIN!!!"

Anonymous January 20, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "For all of you writing your bad experiences on here really need to rethink the purpose of your post. Writing about an experience that is short of something you would see in an exorcism movie (head spinning, projectile vomiting, sweating, hyperventilating etc.) Be careful. You are posting in a forum of people who have diagnosed anxiety and they turn to the Internet and read these posts, that more than likely are exaggerated, breeding greater anxiety or worse making someone not take the medication. The medication was prescribed for a reason with hundreds of millions of dollars in research spent in studying it. Ranging from bacterial study to small animal study to large animal study to human trials etc. This medication is very safe."

Jacob1985 January 19, 2017

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I only started Paxil last night. I took 5mg and about 2 hours later it felt like a steel curtain had dropped on my looping intrusive thoughts. ADs have always been a problem for me. They only work to an extent and the side effects are intolerable. I'm taking Paxil long enough to hopefully bridge my way from the difficult place I'm in right now, to some place where I feel more confident and comfortable. This morning, the intrusive thoughts returned with renewed vigor. I took another 5mg and again, 2 hours later they were gone. It's surreal being present. I'm used to spending my time ruminating on the past or fearing the future. This will take some getting used to, but if this is a sign of things to come, I have hope."

Too Much Thinking January 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I was given 12.5 mg of generic Paxil 5 days ago. My anxiety started to manifest itself with uncontrollable crying. While it's has been only 5 days, the crying has stopped. So I'm happy with that. However, I am experiencing side effects: lightheaded, pin prick feelings in arms and legs, some joint pain, lower back pain, and lethargy that makes me feel like doing/caring about nothing. Because the side effects come and go, I'm willing to wait it out to see if everything mellows out."

MazzyStar1 January 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I'm currently 18 and I have been on paxil for a few months, it's my first try on an SSRI or any medication for anxiety. It works really well, I'm on 20mg and its not that I'm never anxious but my life feels liveable and that's what matters to me. Despite at first always being super sleepy it was nothing compared to thinking wow this is how life is mostly supposed to be like. For me it works, but falling asleep a lot was poo,and there are still certain triggers that I still don't/can't stand but its much better now. Please note people that you don't just quit an SSRI! You have to talk to a doctor on getting off of it or else your brain will be like what is going on. Thus the side effects of withdrawal and so on."

Celeste Nyx January 14, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "Paxil has changed my life. I was terrified to start another medication for depression and anxiety because of all the bad experiences I have had. I have tried over 10 medications and finally after just a week with this medication it has completely changed eveything for me. I feel like my normal self and can enjoy life again!!"

Cherry56 54 January 13, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "Been on Paxil for 17 years, started with 10 mg, stayed with that dosage for about 10 years. Loved it in the beginning, slept great and mood improved a bunch. Eventually I went to 20 mg. It's worked okay over the years. I noticed some improvement with the increase, but never really significant.The transition from 10 to 20 was seamless. Over the years I have tried to switch to other SSRIs as it seems the Paxil just wasn't doing it anymore. But none have made me sleep better than Paxil, so I always go back. After a miserable attempt with Celexa, I'm now trying 30 mg of Paxil. I never thought my dose would get so high. I'm on Day 4, and other than a constant headache, I feel no changes. Hoping my mood and outlook improves one of these days."

DanaO420 January 8, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Before I was on Paxil,I just felt sad all the time. I felt like crying a lot,I could hardly get through work, I had a loss of interest in activities, I lacked energy, plus most of the other symptoms for major depression (except for thoughts of suicide), I had..and this went on for almost a few years until I finally had enough and sought out the help of a doctor. The doctor prescribed Paxil 20mg once a day, and I swear I have never felt better in my life. I feel like I finally have my life back, and I don't feel sad all the time. Most importantly,I feel like myself again"

This medicine is awesome (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder "Been on Paxil for about a month and I feel great...I'm on 20 MG but may need to go higher I'm not at 100%"

Jules3779 January 4, 2017