User Reviews for Paxil

Postpartum Depression
6.6

Summary of Paxil reviews 7.4 691 reviews

Reviews for Paxil

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have several chronic conditions but a month ago I started developing extreme thoughts of GUILT. They just suddenly appeared and made me feel guilty for everything at the point of getting suicidal because it was unbearable. Then I recalled a medication I took in the past for similar feelings and PAXIL came to my mind. I immediately called for a script and got it. A miracle happened. Although I slept 18 hrs. with 40mg. I woke up like a new person. No more negativity in my life! Thankful for Paxil."

Hemaro December 10, 2018

For Panic Disorder "After the birth of my daughter probably within hours I experienced a panic attack , months later I was still having them every week , feeling worried and anxious about everything having irrational thoughts that just wouldn’t budge , that’s when I was diagnosed with postpartum anxiety. I was prescribed Paxil (paroxantine 10 mg). I would cry everyday before that but it did kinda help with my crying spells however for my anxiety I feel like it got worse. I know they say to give it 4-6 weeks I gave it 5 1/2 on 10 mg . Side effects in the first 2 weeks where constant yawning and feeling heavy eyed similar to what allergies feel like in the eyes and increased appetite which was better than not eating at all , I did still have panic attacks and down days . So I didn’t think it was the right fit for me and switched to something else ."

Mom with PPA (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2018

For Depression "Paxil has been a double-edged sword for me. I have been on one dose or another for the last 15 years or so. I can't stop the meds, I've tried a few times in the past, but, just end up going crazy (crying, suicidal thoughts, extreme sadness and anxiety). I feel trapped and helpless to escape the medication's machevellian side effects."

Dallyd72 (taken for 10 years or more) December 8, 2018

For Anxiety "I used Paxil for 13 months for general anxiety. My general doctor introduced paxil to me. I've started with 10mg and later increased it to 20mg. It worked amazingly for that time. The only downside was I gained 13 pounds and lost my sex drive that made me want to quit. I knew that I shouldn't stop cold turkey , so I consulted with my doctor. This medicine withdrawal is the worst. Tapering off from 20mg to 10mg was nightmare: constant electric shocks, flu like pain in the whole body, nausea and vomiting . It took two weeks for me to adapt to the lower dose. Changing it to 10mg every other day was ok but again quitting it all for good was the worst torture . I tolerated the nausea and vomiting for 5 days in the row and I couldn't do it any more so I took the 10 dosage again. Doctors don't warn you about the withdrawal but please please if you are reading this , don't take start paxil. Quitting it is the hardest thing that you can not even imagine."

Vandad November 30, 2018

For Depression "While on the medication, everything seemed fine. I can see why people like to take it. It helps with anxiety and depression both. What the doctor didn’t tell me was that there’s a chance of gaining 20-50 pounds in the first 6 months . I gained a total of 18 pounds in the first 4 months. I had taken other SSRI’s before and never experienced weight gain so I thought “why take Paxil if I can take something else that doesn’t cause extreme weight gain”. I began tapering off like I always have when I wanted to stop a medication and what I experienced was pretty awful. Let me just give you the breakdown: Brain zaps (constantly). Electric shocks going through my head (constantly). Dizziness when standing. Vertigo. Diarrhea every single day. Chills. Insomnia (I didn’t sleep once for 4 days straight). Outbursts of uncontrollably crying. Mood swings (I literally had lost control of all my emotions)."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2018

For Anxiety "Was so anxious about taking this medication due to all of the horrible reviews. It seemed like I couldn’t stop Goggling about it because I just wanted to find someone that had a good experience. Well I have! I went on Paxil for almost two years and it helped me not only get back to myself but a better self. I never gained weight because I exercised few times a week and I never had the crazy side effects. If your thinking of going on Paxil I would highly suggest it. I also did not get the horrible side effects while weaning off. My anxiety was a little high but nothing crazy. I am hoping this helps someone out there because I understand the frustration of reading all of these horrible reviews for the mediation your trying to go on :-/ I did have a bad experience with a medication but I was only on it for two days and got off It right away. You need to do what your body tells you. Never stay on something that makes you feel crappy."

Trish (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 11, 2018

For Depression "Great drug. It took about 4-5 weeks for it to work for me."

MK (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 6, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "Second time trying Paxil. First time it worked within a few days, had some side effects, but helped with my panic attacks and anxiety. I felt better after a couple of months, so I got off. So now, I'm having bad anxiety again, along with panic attacks. My Doctor put me back on Paxil at 5mg for 2 weeks, then wants me to increase to 10. This time, really bad side effects, dizziness, and panic attacks are worse than ever after taking for 5 days. But......in between it is helping with my anxiety and panic, so I am going to stick it out and see if these side effects will stop."

Byrd Lover (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2018

For Panic Disorder "Don't make my mistake!! I've kept switching SSRI's because I thought "they aren't working" after 2 or 3 weeks. Eventually, I just settled on one SSRI but would "self medicate" on the weekends by binging alcohol in social situations etc. The result was that SSRIs never had a chance to work for me. So after being on them for 5 years and having no benefits from "trying different ones", I thought to myself I would never ever go back on them. I haven't used any SSRI for 7 years since. Thinking they don't work at all. I finally caved in out of desperation. This time I convinced myself that I would take them nonstop for 3 months WITHOUT switching and not taking ANY alcohol. It took about 6-7 weeks until I felt TOTALLY different!!! I hope this helps someone. These medications aren't supposed to magically work at exactly 3-4 weeks. It's a cumulative effect."

anony October 14, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Im on paxil 1 month ..6years ago tried narcotic for social anxiety helped me but addiction is worst condition you can deal after detoxication i tried paxil 20 it helped me to for social anxiety with absence of euphoria and high so considered optimum for me.. Wish God helps me to maintain positivity"

ME (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Great med - within 1 week after taking i feel improvement in my depression now I can go any where. I love it......."

syed September 26, 2018

For Anxiety "I have tried other SSRI'S, they haven't worked as well. I take it with 100mg of Wellbutrin, which completely counteract the sexual side affects for me."

JayR (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2018

For Anxiety "I took Paxil for anxiety and depression. It worked great for the first 3 days, then suddenly everything got SO much worse than it had ever been. I had the worst dark thoughts for the first time in my life and tried to "tough it out" because I knew it could take a few weeks to work. Worst few weeks of my life. I've been off of it for 2 days and I already feel better. I'm a 22 yo female. Lexapro also did not work for me."

tiredgymgirl (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

For Anxiety "It changed my life!"

Lane (taken for 10 years or more) September 17, 2018

For Panic Disorder "3 years ago, I began having severe panic attacks alongside my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). It made me feel like I was going to die, symptoms included vomiting, diarrhea, chest tightness, irregular breathing and immobility. This escalated to me waking up almost every morning scared for my life, nauseous & vomiting. These episodes would last between 8 hours to 3 days. I could no longer intake food or water and was really underweight, I lost 30lbs. I found an amazing doctor who prescribed me 20mg of Paxil 9 months ago. Within 2 weeks, I noticed a COMPLETE change in my mood and outlook on life. I no longer wake up with panic attacks. I have had about 3 panic episodes in total since being prescribed Paxil when in comparison to when I used to wake up everyday mentally ill. When I have IBS episodes still, sometimes my anxiety surfaces while I'm in the bathroom. Aside from that, Paxil changed my life and made me such a more confident and happy person. I also successfully gained back all the weight that I lost!"

Monica August 31, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been on this drug for 3 years. It's really effective, but if you are prone to weight gain BOY will you put on weight! The biggest con is coming off them. I'm currently going from paxil to Prozac. Paxil withdrawal includes insomnia, dizziness, headaches, feeling faint, itchy skin (like you are being covered in ants), and sweating. I've come off many antidepressants in the past and this is the worst withdrawal I've had."

Beez (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My senior year and last semester of uni I became very stressed and was diagnosed with anxiety disorder after a couple panic attacks that I went to the hospital for (only to be turned away obv) after trying a generic paxil a week or two later my symptoms from anxiety started to fade away. I was able to take 10 to 20mg a day based on how stressful my week was going. After that semester I weaned off a bit but still went somewhat cold turkey, it all seemed fine though. I'll definitely ask for a prescription if my anxiety levels start to cause any more panic attacks ever again. I don't think this drug is the demon that many people say it is. It saved my life."

Student dude (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Was on prozac for OCD at 16 when I tried everything to avoid medication, therapy, journaling, exercise, medication, water intake a healthy diet enough sleep and it still wasn’t enough. It gave me crazy heart burn and by 17 I was on Paxil. That with mindfulness, water intake, a healthy diet and exercise has saved my life. I can’t speak for depression but for OCD it is an integral tool to help me, but be warned by itself it won’t do that well. It’s a tool not magic"

Mm (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 16, 2018

For Anxiety "Took 6 to 8 weeks for this to kick in fully. I suffered from severe generalized anxiety and agoraphobia. It was hard to do anything. I was in constant fear of my heart rate going high, not being able to get medical attention in certain situations and overall anxiety levels through the roof. I've tried Citalopram (Celexa) 20, 40 and 60mg and didn't work, Effexor and didn't work, Buspar and didn't work. Xanax helps and Klonopin helps. Out of those two I prefer Klonopin but they aren't meant for long term and only used them when I was really desparate. I've been on 20mg of Paroxetine (Paxil) for 4 months now and it's like I never had anxiety. I'm able to go on trips planes, cab rides, busses. I'm able to go outside and enjoy myself. I started golfing again which I love. I'm able to go to the gym and exercise and not freak out that my heart rate is high and start having a panic attack. I'm able to just live life without being in constant fear state."

LongTimeSufferer August 9, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been on it since around 1999. I had been doped up before on Xanax and sick like a dog on Buspar. 2 weeks after taking paxil I woke up from a 5 year bad dream. Here I am today almost two decades later. If it makes you feel sick after a month taking it then it's probably not right for your chemical imbalance. Buspar was that way for me. But if it's right for you you'll know it. Everything will feel normal again. No more excessive worry or constant fear of going crazy. I will say it's a commitment if it works on you. Getting off it sucks real bad but if you're like me you have no desire to go back to the nightmare. But if you don't like it just stop after a month to reduce withdraw risk. Just realize this is not a good drug to be on temporary, it's something you have to take to function until there's a cure. It's affordable without insurance too. I thank Paxil every day."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2018

For Depression "I had to stop taking it, it made my depression 1000 times worse "

MJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2018

For Anxiety "Paxil is very effective BUT it has wayyyy to many negative side effects. When I was on Paxil, I experienced nausea, headaches, fatigue, and burning sensation in the stomach. I literally felt like a zombie that had zero energy. I’m glad I was not on it for too long which made me get zero withdraws, but it did keep me from getting anxiety or feeling depressed because I felt sick the entire time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Taking for panic attacks and agoraphobia. Started at 10mg and worked up to 30mg. The difference in my anxiety, mood, and energy levels is dramatic. I feel normal again, it's almost euphoric how much better I feel. I have more energy during the day, no panic attacks, and I sleep better. I did gain weight (20 lbs.) over six months, but a membership to the gym and joining Weight Watchers has helped me lose 12 lbs. and counting, so it's coming off. This medicine has been a godsend for me."

kdclark (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been taking Paxil for about a year now and have to say several positive things about it. Although it can be a pain to remember to take it, everyone’s body is different and withdrawals are manageable. (And if they aren’t you can go into any emergency room and request a refill; in an emergency) . Paxil has given me confidence in myself. I feel you have to treat it like a vitamin, thinking that the pill will fix everything can make you a typical pessimist, however, effects are really noticeable around the 3-4 week period. My experience is a more stable mood, diminished social anxiety, and more energy. I began to see improvements in the threshold for my emotions. It would take me a lot longer to become upset or anxious about something. It is not as if the feeling is gone but you become less stimulated by your environment. Things that really were stressful and important to me became petty and easier to manage. I have taken Lexapro, Prozac, and Effexor and I think Paxil has been the best overall SSRI."

Ryandawg (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 21, 2018

For Anxiety "I was given paxil for my anxiety and panic attacks.. The first day I took this medicine I was feeling great, then the past few days I have had really bad side effects. Headache, dizziness, feeling faint, very nauseous, and my anxiety and panic attacks came back with a vengeance. Severe anxiety and 3 panic attacks, not to mention it looked like I got sunburn but it is another reaction to the medicine."

cupcake (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...