User Reviews for Paxil

Paxil has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 839 ratings on Drugs.com. 61% of those users who reviewed Paxil reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety
Dysautonomia  Off-label
Summary of Paxil reviews 7.0 839 reviews

Reviews for Paxil

2002z288 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 10, 2021

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I started Paxil not too long ago. This is the best SSRI that I have used this far. It really helps with my mood and racing thoughts. I’m less anxious too. I was on Zoloft for a couple years before and it worked great but I noticed the benefits started to wear off, so my psychiatrist decided to put me on this. I’m very thankful. For some reason certain SSRI's work better than others; everyone is different. I tried lexapro and had horrible depression from it. All I can say is don’t give up until you find what works for you.”

egogordo · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2021

For Panic Disorder: “Unfortunately I was started on this at the highest dose. I have no idea why. The nurse even said I shouldn't be on 40 mg to start, but it was a doctor in a crisis center that I saw for 5 minutes. After I started taking it I had the worst panic attack I have ever experienced and I was hyperventilating and almost passed out. So, I stopped taking it and was scared to take any antidepressants after that, although I have suffer from severe depression and anxiety. So, it wasn't for me. I just started taking Lamotrigine for depression and propranolol for anxiety. It is really helping. So this might be an alternative for anyone that experienced what I did.”

70david May 28, 2021

For Panic Disorder: “Taken daily for nearly 20 years. PRO'S: Worked great for my panic attacks, anxiety, and anger symptoms. CON'S: One side effect noticed that especially with advancing age came "diminished libido" due to difficulty in reaching climax. In attempting to research the "libido" symptomsI discovered that THIS is one of the "known" side effects of the drug. In fact it was often prescribed for "premature ejaculation". The dilemma comes when one attempts to recapture their "love-life" by "reducing" or "quitting" Paxil. Depending on dosage and time on the drug, you MAY INDEED hit a wall of "withdrawal symptoms" that "Ain't No walk-in-the-park"! For more details just do a search for say "Paxil Withdrawal Symptoms". It won't be hard to find a myriad of data. DO Talk with your doctor about it before attempting to quit. For me, it's a work-in-progress. Good Luck All”

Jacob1985 January 19, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: “For all of you writing your bad experiences on here really need to rethink the purpose of your post. Writing about an experience that is short of something you would see in an exorcism movie (head spinning, projectile vomiting, sweating, hyperventilating etc.) Be careful. You are posting in a forum of people who have diagnosed anxiety and they turn to the Internet and read these posts, that more than likely are exaggerated, breeding greater anxiety or worse making someone not take the medication. The medication was prescribed for a reason with hundreds of millions of dollars in research spent in studying it. Ranging from bacterial study to small animal study to large animal study to human trials etc. This medication is very safe.”

Hope989 · Taken for 10 years or more September 26, 2019

For Anxiety: “I took Paxil for 19 years and it relieved my anxiety and depression. I gained 40 lbs over those 19 years but I was happy. In May I decided to try Lexapro and sure enough I've lost 25 lbs. But at the expense of anxiety and depression returning. My Dr increased dosage from 10 -20 mg 5 weeks ago and now I can't sleep. I'm going back to Paxil, I'd rather be fat and happy, than skinny and depressed!!”

LongTimeSufferer August 9, 2018

For Anxiety: “Took 6 to 8 weeks for this to kick in fully. I suffered from severe generalized anxiety and agoraphobia. It was hard to do anything. I was in constant fear of my heart rate going high, not being able to get medical attention in certain situations and overall anxiety levels through the roof. I've tried Citalopram (Celexa) 20, 40 and 60mg and didn't work, Effexor and didn't work, Buspar and didn't work. Xanax helps and Klonopin helps. Out of those two I prefer Klonopin but they aren't meant for long term and only used them when I was really desparate. I've been on 20mg of Paroxetine (Paxil) for 4 months now and it's like I never had anxiety. I'm able to go on trips planes, cab rides, busses. I'm able to go outside and enjoy myself. I started golfing again which I love. I'm able to go to the gym and exercise and not freak out that my heart rate is high and start having a panic attack. I'm able to just live life without being in constant fear state.”

Trish · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 11, 2018

For Anxiety: “Was so anxious about taking this medication due to all of the horrible reviews. It seemed like I couldn’t stop Goggling about it because I just wanted to find someone that had a good experience. Well I have! I went on Paxil for almost two years and it helped me not only get back to myself but a better self. I never gained weight because I exercised few times a week and I never had the crazy side effects. If your thinking of going on Paxil I would highly suggest it. I also did not get the horrible side effects while weaning off. My anxiety was a little high but nothing crazy. I am hoping this helps someone out there because I understand the frustration of reading all of these horrible reviews for the mediation your trying to go on :-/ I did have a bad experience with a medication but I was only on it for two days and got off It right away. You need to do what your body tells you. Never stay on something that makes you feel crappy.”

TyreseTl · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 6, 2021

For Depression: “This medication has been very potent to improve my anxiety/depression disorders. No more suicidal thoughts, fear, mood swings, shaking, sweating, anxiety(SAD & GAD), and the list goes on. If you're suffering from severe anxiety and depression, then take the Paxil. I am taking 40mg max dose with no side effects. I added BuSpar on top of Paxil and my anxiety has reduced “tremendously”. Some people do have problems with BuSpar but I have great results and I’m loving it. I take 20mg/a day. Life is so great, don’t let your anxiety/depression ruin your life. You’re strong and brave. Please get help. ❤️”

Kjls · Taken for 10 years or more February 4, 2020

For Anxiety: “I started Paxil over 15 years ago after an unexplained bout with extreme anxiety and depression that did not respond to hypnosis, yoga, nothing!!! After trying a few other meds that didn't work, my dr suggested Paxil. When I first started it I also took Klonopin for the horrible anxiety. Within about 6 weeks I totally felt the dark cloud disappear so I went off Klonopin. I have never had to increase my dose!! I'm still on 10 mg, 15 years later. I tried weaning off of it 3 times already and each time I would get really weepy and depressed, so I've decided to stay on it!! Yes, I've gained weight but that is nothing in comparison to how I was feeling prior to being on Paxil”

Chris_m · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2019

For Anxiety: “Hi everyone. I have a question. I feel very sad, depressed and above all anxious... I went to the ER here in my country because I was convinced something was really wrong with me At the ER they checked my heart, my blood pressure and everything was fine. My doctor wants me to start Paxil, I took it for three days already, and I have Xanax for when it gets worse. My question to you all is; how do u cope until the Paxil starts to work? Thank you in advance.”

Anonymous February 22, 2010

For Depression: “In the sea of negative reviews which I read before starting Paxil, I saw few positive ones even though I know that there are many, many people for whom this drug has worked wonders. I am one of those people. Diagnosed with severe depression and generalized anxiety disorder, my doctor started me on 10mg/day and despite minor, minor nausea for the initial 2 weeks, I have not had side effects. My anxiety and depression were vastly improved within that 2-4 week window and I began to feel like my old self. I have experienced no discernible effects on my sex drive, which is a big negative side effect for many reviewers. This drug seems to have been tailor-made for me, I am thankful for its availability, and hope this review helps someone!”

bbm23242 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2014

For Anxiety: “I've been prescribed and taking Paxil for about 3 months now. At first I was nervous about because of the reviews on it saying there would be no sex life and I'm currently in a relationship and have been for 2 years. I'm taking Paxil for anxiety. My sex life hasn't changed at all. Paxil has completely taken away my anxiety and I feel awesome. Give it a shot.”

Leeh · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “I started taking paroxetine 10 mg 2 weeks ago, and I am so happy that I did because I feel like my self again. I was on paroxetine 15 years ago due to a difficult time in my life. I did go off of the medication after 8 years, and felt fine. Back on it now due to some life stressors, and it has worked wonderful with my anxiety, panic episodes, and mild depression. I had very minor side effects in the first 1 week. So, I am so grateful for this medication because it truly has helped considerably, and I am hoping to see more results within the 4-6 week period. Best Luck!”

Jesussavior74 March 6, 2015

For Anxiety: “I've been on Paxil 10mg for 18 years, I used to have severe panic attacks and general anxiety disorder. This has helped me live my life, anxiety is a debilitating sickness that interferes with everything you do in life, but only the people who have it can understand that, I recommend it to anyone who has anxiety.”

Kenadams00 · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2015

For Depression: “I have always felt like something was wrong for as long as I can remember. I think my depression is just normal to me and I've probably been depressed for many years without even knowing, just a feeling that something isn't right. A failed relationship a while back, heightened my realisation that something is wrong and the pain of losing someone close was like a final straw for me. I guess it might be true that everyone comes into your life for a reason, even if it is only meant to be for a short time. After countless months and days googling and doing tests online, trying to figure out what might be wrong with me, I finally got the courage to go see my doctor. After a few visits, he prescribed me Paxil and thinks this might help get me on the right track. You see my depression isn't the usual in that I try to go about my daily life as normal as I can, it's called walking or smiling depression. Behind it all though, I'm crippled with self doubt, negative thoughts, anxiety and constant feeling of sadness. I feel guilty a lot, distance myself from my family and friends regularly and sometimes feel so down I cry for what seems like no reason at all. I put on brave face to people and go about daily life as best I can, but behind the mask I am suffering. I never really felt like I fit in and it's like I have to try to act to be happy in every day situations. It's hard to describe, but it's almost like I'm standing behind my shadow. I always look at other people and wonder what it's like to be just happy. I could never bring myself to telling anyone how I really felt, I guess it's only the last year or so that I became more aware and really accepting that something isn't right. It's been so long that I have felt this way, I really don't know what normal is anymore. I have lost 2 girlfriends largely due to my low self esteem and low confidence finally taking its toll on the relationship, it's like I just expected them to leave, who would want to stay with a loser like me is how I portrayed myself to them.. That's probably the hardest pill to swallow through all this. I know if I was mentally stronger, I could have held on to something good. I know I have it in me to go change my life around. Everybody sees it in me, but I feel trapped in my own body and mind. I have a lot of trouble concentrating and I seem to always be so indecisive about what action to take. I guess I'm wondering what I can expect from taking Paxil. I know I'm the only one who can physically make changes, but can I expect to regain some self confidence and motivation, energy etc? I really don't know what to expect from this drug and am apprehensive about what it can actually do for me. I guess part of me just wants to try do everything by myself, but I really don't want to waste another second of my life. I feel like I haven't properly lived for at least the last 5 years of my life. Thank you for reading.”

Ken · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 5, 2019

For Anxiety: “After years and years of trying and failing with different medications, my doctor finally recommended paroxetine for my anxiety. No side effects unless I DON'T take it, no groggy feeling or haze over my memories anymore. I can function without feeling tired out half way through the day, I don't get dry mouth, I don't gain weight on this medication. All of which have been an issue with other meds in the past. Im very grateful to have found this.”

FeelingGreat · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 27, 2014

For Anxiety: “I developed an extreme anxiety disorder inside my own home. Every day, my anxiety was at a constant 8/10, and if an 'event' occurred, it would become an anxiety attack (10 /10). I was prescribed Klonopin & fluoxetine (which I'd successfully taken before for depression). This lasted NINE MONTHS. My therapist was giving me useful tools to use to conquer the anxiety, however my symptoms were too high for them to be effective. My prescribing doctor switched me to Paxil/paroxetine and it changed my life. Within 2-3 weeks my constant anxiety leveled out to a 3 or lower and I was better able to use the tools to conquer any spike in anxiety. Paxil helped me to take back control of my life. Anxiety no longer owns me!”

magcook August 8, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I have always suffered from anxiety and obsessive thoughts,but with in the last year it took a turn for the worse. I had a job loss and couldn't sleep for almost two weeks and in turn starting getting panic attacks. Then intrusive thoughts, I truly thought I was losing my mind. I was scared all the time and hopeless. I went to a therapist and this did help, I also got out on effexor 70 mg daily. I never thought I was going to get better. I started paxil three weeks ago, 20 mg. It has truly changed my life. I feel like me again. I'm writing this in hopes that someone who reads this that feels hopeless and scared doesn't give up. There is help, hang in there. If I could do it, so can you.”

A · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 22, 2020

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “Saved my life, literally. I have very high functioning anxiety and my mind would never stop, and I had come to conclusion after trying several antidepressants that was just who I was. Then I developed SI, depression, and found no pleasure in anything. I was miserable and I tortured myself constantly. At my breaking point with SI when I could no longer trust myself, I talked to my PCP and was prescribed Paxil 20mg. My entire life has changed. I have never known a quiet mind my whole adult life. I am happy and peaceful for the first time ever. I have to exercise a lot to combat sugar cravings, but I do not dread exercise and enjoy it now. I still have trouble sleeping, which I always have had, but other than that, this drug has been a miracle for me.”

TJ August 1, 2019

For Social Anxiety Disorder: “Paxil has been life-changing. I've suffered crippling social anxiety for as long as I can remember. I've been on all kinds of combinations of SSRI's from age 16 to about 25. After a couple years on nothing, I decided to give it another try. My doctor put me on Paxil. I started on 10mg for two weeks, then upped it to 20mg for a two weeks then 30mg and 40mg. After a couple weeks on 40mg I was starting to give up hope. After about 12 weeks, I decided it didn't work and was ready to stop usage. I knew the withdrawals were pure hell, so I wanted to taper off very slowly, then one night I woke up and had this incredible sense of well-being. It was like all my anxiety and depression had suddenly disappeared. Since that moment all my anxiety has been gone. I have no idea why it took 3 months before I noticed anything, but when I did, it was profound. The drug has saved my life. I'm so glad I didn't stop before that 12 week mark. I would have never known the miracle this med has given me.”

Kelly · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2021

For Anxiety: “Hi. I have been on 12.5 mg of Paxil for 6 weeks. My doctor said that was the dose for treating anxiety. I have had some mild side effects. I will say the very next day after taking it my anxiety is gone. I don’t feel depressed. My anxiety was bad and so was my depression. It’s pretty amazing.”

IrishKat November 24, 2013

For Anxiety: “Let me start off by saying that NOT EVERYONE reacts the same way to the same medication. NOW that being said, Paxil was a LIFE SAVER for me! I am 30 now, and I started taking Paxil when I was 19. The first medication Dr. tried for me was Zoloft, which made my Anxiety get SO much worse! I was terrified to being with feeling CONSTANT WORRY, fast heartbeat, racing thoughts. So after 3 days of Zoloft I quit, went back to my doctor and we tried Paxil. IT SAVED MY LIFE, I felt the unneeded worries of the world lift off of my back, racing thoughts stopped, my heartbeat slowed, I could organize my thoughts. It was like I had calmed down for the first time in my life AND IT WORKED IN HOURS FOR ME(don't expect same results, but you never know!).”

trinigirl · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 11, 2014

For Anxiety: “I have been taking Paxil for the past 5 years and it makes me feel great I do not get any anxiety attacks since I started one thing that helps me is the support of my husband and exercise and good eating habits. Theses things assist with living a more richer and happier life. I do not intend on stopping because the good out ways the bad.”

Nik · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 19, 2021

For Anxiety: “On this medicine, I feel like I'm actually living for the first time in 24 years. I was worried to try it, but am so grateful I did. For the first month I would take it at night and would wake up from nausea every night. I suggest taking it during the day! Sometimes I get a little dizzy, especially if I forget to take it, but don't mind that too much. My perfectionism and social anxiety was destroying my work and relationships, and now I am productive, focused, and so stable!! If you are considering, try Paxil out! I couldn't be more thankful that I did.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2020

For Social Anxiety Disorder: “I was prescribed this about 10 yrs ago and I cannot remember why I was taken off it and put on Sertraline. However since then my social anxiety has been debilitating even on the highest dose Of sertraline. I was thinking and trying to remember a really relaxed happy time and I remembered the paroxetine period. My whole life since then has been gripped by fear and anxiety and fear of scrutiny I rang my Dr and asked if I could try it again. He was a bit reluctant because of the withdrawal problems but agreed. My goodness, I am SO thankful, within a week the anxiety and constant fear and tension had gone. It is amazing and I have my life back again !!! My heart is singing with joy and the release is so fantastic. THANK YOU PAXIL, I have a future !!”

Hope4u · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2013

For Anxiety: “About 6-8 weeks ago my doc prescribed 10 mg paxil (Now up to 20 mg) & 0.25 Xanax. The first few weeks I was very, very fatigued! But since I was depressed, I was okay with sleeping the rest of the day after returning home from school. I did experience headaches, nausea, increased anxiety (Xanax helped alleviate anxiety). Within the last 2 weeks, I haven't taken Xanax, my anxiety has dramatically decreased! Depression has also decreased. A few months ago I was scared to leave the house, be around people, an emotional wreck, no motivation to work out. Now I'm happy to go to school, exercise, and be social again. Keep praying and hang in there! ”

Craig_29 May 11, 2014

For Anxiety: “It really works wonders. I've been on it for almost a week and I'm just so calm and chilled. My anxiety started getting really, really bad. To the point where I'd cry over nothing almost. I'd sit and stress over the most trivial matters, but in my mind they were huge and irreparable. I'd stopped eating, it freak out on my own etc. Being social became a huge issue and rationalizing that everything would be okay didn't work anymore. Eventually I bit the bullet and saw a Dr and since then this medicine has really been an absolute blessing.”

Fluffybunny January 16, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: “Paxil has worked wonderfully for me. I now have a life due to it. I no longer feel like I'm being attacked by the world, so I no longer attack back. I finally have a life and I am finally happy with myself as well.”