User Reviews for Paxil

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paxil.

Trichotillomania

Postmenopausal Symptoms
4.7

Summary of Paxil reviews 7.4 632 reviews

Reviews for Paxil

For Depression "I used paxil many, many years ago when going thru a bad divorce and it worked very well. Then after a few years on this stuff it stopped working. Well here I am over 15 years away from these types of meds, I lost my son and went into a deep depression. Not really wanting to go back on SSRI's (paxil) I was convinced by my doc to try paxil again. BAD mistake, after using 20 mg for 5 weeks ...nothing! I went bac even worse! This stuff (paxil) is really BAD. I went cold turkey and went thru 7 days of HELL! But now I can finally say I am off of this type of stuff FOREVER ! and I'm feeling great. I started to look at the good things in my life day by day. This really works."

stuart l. December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "Still having hot flashes at 73. Used Prempro for 30 years but doctors would no longer Script it. 4 months now on 10mg Paxil and loving it. Had some minor GI issues but nothing serious. I'm happy without hot flashes and I seem to have a better out"

Adelo December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Ruined my nervous system and life. Have never recovered from the withdrawal after being on it 11 years. Diagnosed with M.E. / CFS 9 years ago. My stamina / physical abilities are severely limited as I withdrew far too quickly. Doctors do not stress the dangers of withdrawal. I have tried numerous recovery techniques but management of my symptoms is the best I get. My life has changed forever. If you withdraw do it very slowly. Learn from my mistake."

strata76 November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been on and off SSRIs for years. Effexor XR and Zoloft caused gastrointestinal and sleep problems. Paxil which I started 6 months ago however has caused no GI issues, and it is for me slightly sedating. My mood has improved without the hypomania caused by other SSRIs. Prior to starting Paxil, I was in fairly deep depressive state. It was nearly impossible for me to experience a positive thought about the future. I also had moderate anxiety. In summary, Paxil might help anyone who experienced GI irritation from other meds, has trouble sleeping, and has some anxiety component to their depression"

CraigsTown November 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I started taking Paxil for anxiety and depression and started feeling sick on first pill. Nauseous, headaches, trembling, body shocks etc. After the second pill I found it was starting to get hard to orgasm. By the forth pill I couldn't orgasm and quit taking it at that point. Not ready to give up sex to possibly get over some anxiety and depression, but seriously if the side effects are this bad after 4 pills what would a month be like. Then after stopping after 4 days it was like the whole process in reverse as I has gotten over the headaches and sickness after 2 days, it took another 2 days to get over it once stopping. I am going to try something else or just go back to self medication, at least the side effects are more manageable"

Disso1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I've been taking Paxil 10mg for 3 years and I'm not looking to increase dose. I did gain weight but that’s also cause I was not so stressed about being thin , when I do exercise I am super fit . Paxil works , orgasms were harder but by no means impossible, just takes longer . I feel normal on it , went off for six weeks and there were mild side effects but nothing crazy . Had to go back on as there was a major trauma that happened while I was off them and I crumbled . I say do it but keep the dose low , you don’t need to take a lot ."

Marymoella (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Horrible drug. Paxil is garbage. I've been on the majority of these psych drugs. Pure poison. Now that the horrible withdrawal effects are lessening--I'm getting much better. While on and coming off them, it was pure hell. That's my experience."

PsychDrugsSuck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "I starting having panic attacks around age 19 and I was & constantly heading to ER thinking I was gonna die. First I was put on a low dose of Xanax with only being told by doc that I was just a little anxious. It wasn't til I got pregnant with my 3rd son at age 28, that my OB/GYN knew exactly what I needed and put me on paxil. I remember after a couple of weeks of being on it, I woke up feeling like a normal person again. I actually noticed the sound of birds chirping outside instead of waking up in fear! I have been on Paxil now for about 15 years ( I got off of it for about 4 years and stayed anxiety free til I was robbed at gunpoint and anxiety came back) and it has truly saved my life!"

Pamela1970 (taken for 10 years or more) November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Postpartum Depression "Prescribed paxil for depression, anxiety and OCD of contamination. I took 10mg of paxil for 1.5 months. I experienced no side effects, which was the only upside. I experienced PPDA only 1 month after my first and only son was born. As a 1st time mom I thought everything I was experiencing was typical, until I began having suicidal thoughts and resorted to self harm, all taking a toll on my relationship w/ my son and husband. Waited for 10 months to finally get help. While taking paxil at first I felt better and more connected to my baby until two weeks later I noticed I felt EXTREMELY unmotivated, lazy, zombieish and uncaring. I went from one extreme with OCD to never cleaning anything ever. So I felt just as depressed as before."

Mamanainteasy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been on it for about 15 years. It was exactly what I needed to combat depression and the behavior that went with it. These days however, I find it makes me very tired. I can spend my entire day off just sleeping and retreating into dreams, almost like hiding. Maybe it's time to find a different drug."

PixiliciousG November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "After suffering for years with untreated PTSD the symptoms kept getting worse. Finally talked with my Dr. about it. Started me on Paxil 20 mg for a couple of months and then increased to 30 mg. I am not "cured", but my anxiety has drastically decreased. I feel almost normal. Paxil has been a God send for me."

lil ol me November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "I have buzzing in ears, very annoying also find it hard to sleep. Yet when I do sleep I can sleep for 10 or 11 hour"

Kalgje (taken for 10 years or more) November 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "In July 2011 I had a complete hysterectomy, throwing me into spontaneous menopause. The hot flashes and night sweats were excruciating but, hormones of any kind made me completely crazy. I was so happy when I discovered Paxil. I started out on the lowest dose which has been increased over the years yo 60 mg a day. Three and a half weeks ago I called in for a refill but I didn't have any left. It took me three weeks to get in to see my doctor. I refused to go back on it because of the withdrawals I am still experiencing. First, all I did was sleep. Then, I started experiencing severe joint pain. After three weeks, I am starting to feel slightly better. I now just feel like I have the worst case of the flu and arthritis."

Excruciating withdrawals (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Postpartum Depression "The first week Paxil was great I felt better no more anxiety and I felt happy and not stressed. But now going on the 3rd week I feel so sleepy I have no interest in doing anything and I'm jittery at the same time. I've never been not interested in doing house cleaning or going outside but now I don't want to do anything but sleep."

Mommyof2bbys October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "There was a history in my family or anxiety and panic attacks, but I had never experienced it until I was 55 (3 years ago). When it hit me, it hit me hard. It truly was the worst experience in my life. I went from being Mr. Optimistic to worrying about every ache and pain in my body. It was a living hell. When my doctor realized what was going on with me, he put me on 20mg of Paxil. I must say the first week on it was very difficult, but I believe it's because I wasn't told or didn't hear him tell me to take half a pill for the first week. After about 2 weeks or so, I woke up one morning and absolutely felt like I was on cloud 9. Not because it made me high, but because I felt normal again! I am now on 40mg and still feeling great!"

Tony in Florida October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "A year ago I was put on Paxil for PTSD, depression, anxiety. All I can say is do your research because this is a mind altering drug. It can put you in a childhood state ,time loss, carefree and not in a good way. DONT TOUCH THIS STUFF. If you do be careful of the major things doctors don't tell you."

Horrible drug September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "I have a mixture of anxiety( severe) hypochondria, depression, and panic disorder. I started having episodes when I was 17 that completely bring my life into a tailspin. I'll lose weight, sleep all the time, worry obsessively, go to the doctor a hundred times, and withdrawal from life. It's torture; I feel like I'm in an alternate reality at times. The only drug that corrects me is Paxil. I get some blurred vision, vivid dreams, tremors, and swears, but it's worth it to feel normal. I feel the effects after the first dose."

emmanoramaura September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was on this medication for years for OCD anxiety depression PTSD , then wanted to get pregnant and switched to Zoloft. The Z stopped working after a year and terrible panic attacks started happening again. Went back on P. Overall, I am happy to not be crying all the time and not snapping at my family. I have a much better time on P than on Z. My only problem is the weight gain that comes with it. It's very sad for me to gain 20 pounds. But still, it's better than being so scared all the time. Please, make sure you take as directed. It takes six weeks for medicine like this to work. You won't know after a day or two. Stay strong"

Mom2.3 September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I was put on this medication by my Neurologist. He said it would help pain and boost energy. Anyways I took it several years until my GP took me off cold turkey. I suffered the most agonizing withdrawal symptoms and shortly afterwards suffered a stroke. I blame this medication. Jump to Sept.1, 2017 Another Doctor wants me to start on this poison again. I don't think so. This is extremely dangerous!!"

Central Coast life September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been taking 10-mg of Paxil for over 20 years and began taking it after surgical menopause in my late 30's. Having dealt with depression/anxiety on and off since I was young, this really transformed my life. My career was very demanding and I was able to have a successful career until retirement a few years ago. I am a professional who worked under very strenuous circumstances and without this medication could probably not have done so. I did not gain weight but have been an exerciser most of my adult life which, incidentally, also helps a great deal with depression. Everyone is different and so is their reaction to medications. This is why it is so important to have a Dr. who continues to follow you."

Monasusie (taken for 10 years or more) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "I was on Prempro for 30 years after menopause at 40. Dr said get off it so 4 years ago weaned off it and the hot flashes started and have continued for 4 years. Now my new doctor recommended Paxil 10 mg and it has really helped me. I never was depressed but anxious and it seemed to bring on the heat."

Little Billie (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I started taking Paxil 20mg a few days ago. I just started a new semester at uni & got a new job & I don't handle stress well at all. I am petrified of social situations and I'm always 'nervy' & everything bothers me...literally everything! Very easily annoyed & very easily stressed out, which is all part of anxiety. Anyways, this medicine has worked wonders for me so far. I can actually walk through the halls at uni without feeling the terror. No panic attacks or flu-like symptoms afterwards anymore. So far, I've lost my appetite & have trouble sleeping, but nothing I can't handle. I wouldn't say I feel like a zombie, but I feel relaxed and slightly tired.I'm taking metabolism supporting vitamins hoping it prevents weight gain"

Livie August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I am one of those people who was very against taking medication for my anxiety, until I realized I needed more than Talk Therapy. I tried Paxil and it has made a world of a difference. I no longer have daily panic attacks, or worry constantly. I'm able to make plans with my friends without the worry of having a meltdown in front of them. My biggest fear was getting on a plane again, and I did with no problem. Paxil has truly given me my life pack, and for that I am so thankful."

Anonymous August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This worked well for my depression and anxiety too, but I was pretty zoned out on it. I slept a lot and struggled with withdrawing from it. Brain zaps for about two weeks while I was trying to sleep. It wasn't fun."

Shatswan August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was prescribe this medication for anxiety, and it worked. I had panic attacks on the nyc subway before taking the medication but when I was on it really helped me to gain a normal life. I was on it for about 8 months then my doctor decided to take me off it cause my life became organized. That was the worst experience ever, coming off paxil was the hardest thing ever, and I recommend when you come off it to taper down very slowly because it just was absolutely hell. This drug does help but it's addictive and hard to come off. Also I gained about 30 pounds on it. I'd recommend the medication if you are having panic attacks, but for general anxiety disorders I would ask to try something else before paxil."

Beckham NYC August 8, 2017