User Reviews for Paxil

Postmenopausal Symptoms 4 reviews 152 medications

2.5
Summary of Paxil reviews 620 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Paxil

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "In July 2011 I had a complete hysterectomy, throwing me into spontaneous menopause. The hot flashes and night sweats were excruciating but, hormones of any kind made me completely crazy. I was so happy when I discovered Paxil. I started out on the lowest dose which has been increased over the years yo 60 mg a day. Three and a half weeks ago I called in for a refill but I didn't have any left. It took me three weeks to get in to see my doctor. I refused to go back on it because of the withdrawals I am still experiencing. First, all I did was sleep. Then, I started experiencing severe joint pain. After three weeks, I am starting to feel slightly better. I now just feel like I have the worst case of the flu and arthritis."

Excruciating withdrawals (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Postpartum Depression "The first week Paxil was great I felt better no more anxiety and I felt happy and not stressed. But now going on the 3rd week I feel so sleepy I have no interest in doing anything and I'm jittery at the same time. I've never been not interested in doing house cleaning or going outside but now I don't want to do anything but sleep."

Mommyof2bbys October 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "There was a history in my family or anxiety and panic attacks, but I had never experienced it until I was 55 (3 years ago). When it hit me, it hit me hard. It truly was the worst experience in my life. I went from being Mr. Optimistic to worrying about every ache and pain in my body. It was a living hell. When my doctor realized what was going on with me, he put me on 20mg of Paxil. I must say the first week on it was very difficult, but I believe it's because I wasn't told or didn't hear him tell me to take half a pill for the first week. After about 2 weeks or so, I woke up one morning and absolutely felt like I was on cloud 9. Not because it made me high, but because I felt normal again! I am now on 40mg and still feeling great!"

Tony in Florida October 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "A year ago I was put on Paxil for PTSD, depression, anxiety. All I can say is do your research because this is a mind altering drug. It can put you in a childhood state ,time loss, carefree and not in a good way. DONT TOUCH THIS STUFF. If you do be careful of the major things doctors don't tell you."

Horrible drug September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "I have a mixture of anxiety( severe) hypochondria, depression, and panic disorder. I started having episodes when I was 17 that completely bring my life into a tailspin. I'll lose weight, sleep all the time, worry obsessively, go to the doctor a hundred times, and withdrawal from life. It's torture; I feel like I'm in an alternate reality at times. The only drug that corrects me is Paxil. I get some blurred vision, vivid dreams, tremors, and swears, but it's worth it to feel normal. I feel the effects after the first dose."

emmanoramaura September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was on this medication for years for OCD anxiety depression PTSD , then wanted to get pregnant and switched to Zoloft. The Z stopped working after a year and terrible panic attacks started happening again. Went back on P. Overall, I am happy to not be crying all the time and not snapping at my family. I have a much better time on P than on Z. My only problem is the weight gain that comes with it. It's very sad for me to gain 20 pounds. But still, it's better than being so scared all the time. Please, make sure you take as directed. It takes six weeks for medicine like this to work. You won't know after a day or two. Stay strong"

Mom2.3 September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I was put on this medication by my Neurologist. He said it would help pain and boost energy. Anyways I took it several years until my GP took me off cold turkey. I suffered the most agonizing withdrawal symptoms and shortly afterwards suffered a stroke. I blame this medication. Jump to Sept.1, 2017 Another Doctor wants me to start on this poison again. I don't think so. This is extremely dangerous!!"

Central Coast life September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been taking 10-mg of Paxil for over 20 years and began taking it after surgical menopause in my late 30's. Having dealt with depression/anxiety on and off since I was young, this really transformed my life. My career was very demanding and I was able to have a successful career until retirement a few years ago. I am a professional who worked under very strenuous circumstances and without this medication could probably not have done so. I did not gain weight but have been an exerciser most of my adult life which, incidentally, also helps a great deal with depression. Everyone is different and so is their reaction to medications. This is why it is so important to have a Dr. who continues to follow you."

Monasusie (taken for 10 years or more) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "I was on Prempro for 30 years after menopause at 40. Dr said get off it so 4 years ago weaned off it and the hot flashes started and have continued for 4 years. Now my new doctor recommended Paxil 10 mg and it has really helped me. I never was depressed but anxious and it seemed to bring on the heat."

Little Billie (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I started taking Paxil 20mg a few days ago. I just started a new semester at uni & got a new job & I don't handle stress well at all. I am petrified of social situations and I'm always 'nervy' & everything bothers me...literally everything! Very easily annoyed & very easily stressed out, which is all part of anxiety. Anyways, this medicine has worked wonders for me so far. I can actually walk through the halls at uni without feeling the terror. No panic attacks or flu-like symptoms afterwards anymore. So far, I've lost my appetite & have trouble sleeping, but nothing I can't handle. I wouldn't say I feel like a zombie, but I feel relaxed and slightly tired.I'm taking metabolism supporting vitamins hoping it prevents weight gain"

Livie August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I am one of those people who was very against taking medication for my anxiety, until I realized I needed more than Talk Therapy. I tried Paxil and it has made a world of a difference. I no longer have daily panic attacks, or worry constantly. I'm able to make plans with my friends without the worry of having a meltdown in front of them. My biggest fear was getting on a plane again, and I did with no problem. Paxil has truly given me my life pack, and for that I am so thankful."

Anonymous August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This worked well for my depression and anxiety too, but I was pretty zoned out on it. I slept a lot and struggled with withdrawing from it. Brain zaps for about two weeks while I was trying to sleep. It wasn't fun."

Shatswan August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was prescribe this medication for anxiety, and it worked. I had panic attacks on the nyc subway before taking the medication but when I was on it really helped me to gain a normal life. I was on it for about 8 months then my doctor decided to take me off it cause my life became organized. That was the worst experience ever, coming off paxil was the hardest thing ever, and I recommend when you come off it to taper down very slowly because it just was absolutely hell. This drug does help but it's addictive and hard to come off. Also I gained about 30 pounds on it. I'd recommend the medication if you are having panic attacks, but for general anxiety disorders I would ask to try something else before paxil."

Beckham NYC August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Hello! I want to tell others that being on Paxil 10 mg. for a few months now has helped me to center myself once again. My life is filled with other people's issues, depression, anger, and discord in their own lives that have depressed me. Situational depression is, in my life, a constant. I just do not have happy people around me and the doctor tells me they are making me "sick". My doctor saw me with high anxiety and worry that was causing me to retreat from daily life. His advice was to try Paxil to give me some relief! Now, how to get the others around me to get therapy and help..."

mareandbosco August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I got on to this medicine during a rough time in my life. I thought it was working great until I realized they had me in the highest dose and were using it as a bandaid. I got curious about the drug itself and into further research I found that this drug is one of the WORST on the market. This drug will slowly kill you. This drug causes issues not only in your mind, but your body, if you're trying to conceive it affect that body, it is extremely addictive and causes more issue than the reason you were put on it. After my research I decided to come off of it. If I had more space to write how the detox of this pill was I would need a novel."

DO NOT take paxil (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Taken off Escitalopram 10mg which I was on for years and put onto Paroxetine 20mg for generalised anxiety and sleep disorder. Experienced terrible side effects- dizziness and almost fainting, headache, tingling extremeties, nausea, weight loss. I was feeling like a whole different person in general. But nothing was worse than the withdrawal effects. I basically felt like a walking dead person- all of the above plus severe flu-like symptoms- I literally couldn't leave bed for days. Took a couple of weeks to feel good again but had to start taking escitalopram again to get there."

PinkDeanna July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I didn't like paxil AT ALL! This really made me feel like crap, and made my anxiety depression and really dark thoughts worse, trying to get off of it was also rough."

5150Aries (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Really helps my PMDD and my stress/anxiety. I was very thin from stress before I started on Paxil. I have rapidly gained weight since taking this medication. I have also become emotionless. As much as I dislike it, at least I don't feel anger, stress and anxiety anymore. Clearly I'm taking the good with the bad."

CC_Momof3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I've always had social anxiety but manageable as I would avoid social situations and worked independently for the most part. I was promoted to a management role and things started getting out of control. I couldn't speak to anymore for any longer than 10 minutes. I would shake uncontrollably and have panic attacks. I thought I would have to quit the dream job I worked towards my whole life. I spoke to my doctor and she put me on Paxil. I'm at 37 mg for 7 weeks now and my life has changed. I can hold meetings within my team. I can speak without having panic attacks. I love this drug. It has saved me from losing my job and my social life."

tazly July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was suffering from awful situational anxiety and depression, hard time fully functioning, couldn't eat, sleep, focus, cried every day, was an emotional mess. Dr put me on 20mg Paxil and told me it would take 4-6 weeks to take effect. Within a week I felt so much better. I could eat, sleep, stopped crying altogether, and stopped being constantly overly emotional. I did sometimes have a difficult time fully accessing emotions, gained too much weight, and am having trouble with motivation so I'm currently on day 4 of weaning myself off, nothing but mild side effects so far. For me Paxil was extremely helpful to get me through a very difficult time and get me back to functioning so I could keep my job and parent my children."

KLCin July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Hi...Ive been on Paxil 11 years. Its the only thing that helped my depression and social anxiety disorder. The only side effect I have is weight gain. It will cause withdrawal if you stop taking it for a week which happened once when I didnt get my script refilled. But all in all its helped me greatly. I'd rather have weight gain than severe depression and anxiety and fear of crowds. I give it a 10 for my case."

LadyEcho July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "WORST DRUG EVER! Side effects were body shocks, headaches, worse anxiety, etc. I only took it for three weeks and it caused me to feel numb mentally and emotionally. Drove me nuts! So I went off it and let me tell you... WORST withdrawals ever! Lethargy, bad thoughts, apathy, brain zaps, mood swings, depression, etc. Before you take it, which I DON'T recommend as there are other options, read stories about the withdrawals. Theres so many lawsuits against it. Oh and it induced a mania in me and now I'm stuck on antipsychotics..."

Lela3338 (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "When I first started taking this It was for pre-menopause I was put on Paxel for hot flashes and night sweats because they were so bad I was having that nearly 50 to 60 hot flashes a day. I now have them about 20 times a day that's on a good day. I cannot take anything with hormones due to a genetic disorder that I have. "

PAULAD96 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I grew up with anxiety but as I got older it turned in to social anxiety and really turned me into an ugly person... I started feeling super insecure about my appearance, had uncontrollable obsessive thoughts, weird fantasies, I believed I wasn't normal.... after getting sick of feeling so insecure and anxious, I know something was wrong with me. My doctor prescribed me 10mg of Paxil for the first 2 weeks, and 20mg after. I'm now 4 months and a few days in, and I'm starting to feel much more calmer, my attitude towards life is positive!!I'm starting to talk more in class and it's gradually getting better. The first 2 months where hell"

jeremyyt (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "The worst possible anti-anxiety medication ever. 14 years of taking it. Not only did it do the opposite of what it was supposed to do, but I became a horrible person to be around. High one day, down the bottom the other, irrational, fearless to a scary point, extreme in everything I did. the side effects were horrific and it took me 3 years to temper it down to stop taking it....But wait; 2 years after quitting this shit, serious side effects came back to haunt me in a terrible way...Yes; 2 years after I stopped taking Paxil. Please, Google Paxil side effects; many people have had the same problem! Stay away from this stuff. Banned in most of Europe for obvious reasons."

Dajo (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2017