User Reviews for Paxil

Postmenopausal Symptoms 2 reviews 151 medications

2.5
Summary of Paxil reviews 610 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Paxil

For Anxiety "I am one of those people who was very against taking medication for my anxiety, until I realized I needed more than Talk Therapy. I tried Paxil and it has made a world of a difference. I no longer have daily panic attacks, or worry constantly. I'm able to make plans with my friends without the worry of having a meltdown in front of them. My biggest fear was getting on a plane again, and I did with no problem. Paxil has truly given me my life pack, and for that I am so thankful."

Anonymous August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "This worked well for my depression and anxiety too, but I was pretty zoned out on it. I slept a lot and struggled with withdrawing from it. Brain zaps for about two weeks while I was trying to sleep. It wasn't fun."

Shatswan August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was prescribe this medication for anxiety, and it worked. I had panic attacks on the nyc subway before taking the medication but when I was on it really helped me to gain a normal life. I was on it for about 8 months then my doctor decided to take me off it cause my life became organized. That was the worst experience ever, coming off paxil was the hardest thing ever, and I recommend when you come off it to taper down very slowly because it just was absolutely hell. This drug does help but it's addictive and hard to come off. Also I gained about 30 pounds on it. I'd recommend the medication if you are having panic attacks, but for general anxiety disorders I would ask to try something else before paxil."

Beckham NYC August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Hello! I want to tell others that being on Paxil 10 mg. for a few months now has helped me to center myself once again. My life is filled with other people's issues, depression, anger, and discord in their own lives that have depressed me. Situational depression is, in my life, a constant. I just do not have happy people around me and the doctor tells me they are making me "sick". My doctor saw me with high anxiety and worry that was causing me to retreat from daily life. His advice was to try Paxil to give me some relief! Now, how to get the others around me to get therapy and help..."

mareandbosco August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I got on to this medicine during a rough time in my life. I thought it was working great until I realized they had me in the highest dose and were using it as a bandaid. I got curious about the drug itself and into further research I found that this drug is one of the WORST on the market. This drug will slowly kill you. This drug causes issues not only in your mind, but your body, if you're trying to conceive it affect that body, it is extremely addictive and causes more issue than the reason you were put on it. After my research I decided to come off of it. If I had more space to write how the detox of this pill was I would need a novel."

DO NOT take paxil (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Taken off Escitalopram 10mg which I was on for years and put onto Paroxetine 20mg for generalised anxiety and sleep disorder. Experienced terrible side effects- dizziness and almost fainting, headache, tingling extremeties, nausea, weight loss. I was feeling like a whole different person in general. But nothing was worse than the withdrawal effects. I basically felt like a walking dead person- all of the above plus severe flu-like symptoms- I literally couldn't leave bed for days. Took a couple of weeks to feel good again but had to start taking escitalopram again to get there."

PinkDeanna July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I didn't like paxil AT ALL! This really made me feel like crap, and made my anxiety depression and really dark thoughts worse, trying to get off of it was also rough."

5150Aries (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Really helps my PMDD and my stress/anxiety. I was very thin from stress before I started on Paxil. I have rapidly gained weight since taking this medication. I have also become emotionless. As much as I dislike it, at least I don't feel anger, stress and anxiety anymore. Clearly I'm taking the good with the bad."

CC_Momof3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I've always had social anxiety but manageable as I would avoid social situations and worked independently for the most part. I was promoted to a management role and things started getting out of control. I couldn't speak to anymore for any longer than 10 minutes. I would shake uncontrollably and have panic attacks. I thought I would have to quit the dream job I worked towards my whole life. I spoke to my doctor and she put me on Paxil. I'm at 37 mg for 7 weeks now and my life has changed. I can hold meetings within my team. I can speak without having panic attacks. I love this drug. It has saved me from losing my job and my social life."

tazly July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was suffering from awful situational anxiety and depression, hard time fully functioning, couldn't eat, sleep, focus, cried every day, was an emotional mess. Dr put me on 20mg Paxil and told me it would take 4-6 weeks to take effect. Within a week I felt so much better. I could eat, sleep, stopped crying altogether, and stopped being constantly overly emotional. I did sometimes have a difficult time fully accessing emotions, gained too much weight, and am having trouble with motivation so I'm currently on day 4 of weaning myself off, nothing but mild side effects so far. For me Paxil was extremely helpful to get me through a very difficult time and get me back to functioning so I could keep my job and parent my children."

KLCin July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Hi...Ive been on Paxil 11 years. Its the only thing that helped my depression and social anxiety disorder. The only side effect I have is weight gain. It will cause withdrawal if you stop taking it for a week which happened once when I didnt get my script refilled. But all in all its helped me greatly. I'd rather have weight gain than severe depression and anxiety and fear of crowds. I give it a 10 for my case."

LadyEcho July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "WORST DRUG EVER! Side effects were body shocks, headaches, worse anxiety, etc. I only took it for three weeks and it caused me to feel numb mentally and emotionally. Drove me nuts! So I went off it and let me tell you... WORST withdrawals ever! Lethargy, bad thoughts, apathy, brain zaps, mood swings, depression, etc. Before you take it, which I DON'T recommend as there are other options, read stories about the withdrawals. Theres so many lawsuits against it. Oh and it induced a mania in me and now I'm stuck on antipsychotics..."

Lela3338 (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "When I first started taking this It was for pre-menopause I was put on Paxel for hot flashes and night sweats because they were so bad I was having that nearly 50 to 60 hot flashes a day. I now have them about 20 times a day that's on a good day. I cannot take anything with hormones due to a genetic disorder that I have. "

PAULAD96 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I grew up with anxiety but as I got older it turned in to social anxiety and really turned me into an ugly person... I started feeling super insecure about my appearance, had uncontrollable obsessive thoughts, weird fantasies, I believed I wasn't normal.... after getting sick of feeling so insecure and anxious, I know something was wrong with me. My doctor prescribed me 10mg of Paxil for the first 2 weeks, and 20mg after. I'm now 4 months and a few days in, and I'm starting to feel much more calmer, my attitude towards life is positive!!I'm starting to talk more in class and it's gradually getting better. The first 2 months where hell"

jeremyyt (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "The worst possible anti-anxiety medication ever. 14 years of taking it. Not only did it do the opposite of what it was supposed to do, but I became a horrible person to be around. High one day, down the bottom the other, irrational, fearless to a scary point, extreme in everything I did. the side effects were horrific and it took me 3 years to temper it down to stop taking it....But wait; 2 years after quitting this shit, serious side effects came back to haunt me in a terrible way...Yes; 2 years after I stopped taking Paxil. Please, Google Paxil side effects; many people have had the same problem! Stay away from this stuff. Banned in most of Europe for obvious reasons."

Dajo (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "Lifesaver drug!!!"

Anonymous July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I started Paxil approx 3 weeks ago and my life started changing for the better about 2 weeks into it. I feel my social anxiety dissolving, I didn't realize how depressed I was, but life is starting to look so much brighter. I suffered with bad pe which made sexual intimacy impossible, and this has pretty much gone away. I am becoming more outgoing and able to express myself to others and working hard to remove everything in my head which caused my anxiety by talking with my spouse and others in my family. I am also becoming much more comfortable in social situations. I sure hope in continues, because I can't imagine going back to my old self. I had bad nausea and was so tired the first week, but so worth it."

Kt5132 June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I started this for anxiety and depression, mostly social anxiety. It definitely helped with my social anxiety but not in a good way. I swear it caused a personality change. I went from being terrified of talking around people to randomly blurting out weird stuff in class and being squirrelly and hyper. I went from this quiet shy girl to being kind of whacko. I started getting in trouble in class for being disruptive. I was regularly displaying behavior that was inappropriate in public. Weirdest thing ever. I discontinued it and after a little while was back to myself. Not sure how common this is? Very strange."

Made me a different person. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I've taken this for 2 days and my heart already races and my anxiety is crippling. I already want off."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "After coming off Prozac and starting this medication, I gave it about 3 weeks. Worst antidepressant I've ever tried. No other antidepressant EVER affected me this way."

Suicide Watch (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Paxil is one of the few antidepressants that worked well for me. However, don't stop taking the drug when you start feeling better. Stopping Paxil abruptly made me physically ill. The Paxil withdrawal symptoms are similar to opiate withdrawal."

Bud G (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Got a big rash on my abdomen, that got increasingly painful and itchy. An allergic reaction to the medication (I wasn't taking anything else at the time) This was a shame! Because the medication had a substantial effect on my social anxiety. The first few days I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster, but then I started to really enjoy social interaction, I could understand why people talked to other people for fun! Only ended up taking it for a little over a week, but wanted to share my experience incase anyone else is experiencing a rash."

Roxie22 May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Here is my experience with 10+ years of taking Paxil. It did a good job controlling anxiety in combination with Lorazepam 4x daily. But there was a huge cost to taking Paxil. I gained 10lbs for every 10mg of Paxil I took for a total of 40lbs gained slowly over years. Also, erectile disfunction became a problem. Finally, about 2 years ago, because of insurance change, I had to change psychiatrists. My new psychiatrist asked me if I had noticed side effects of weight gain and sexual dysfunction while on Paxil. I had no idea my weight gain was related to Paxil. He weaned me off Paxil an on to Prozac. I lost 40 lbs in 6 mos without trying. Prozac works just as well with my anxiety. Perhaps Paxil isn't the right choice for some people."

SlimmerWNoPaxil May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Paxil definitely works for social anxiety. However, the side effects just became intolerable over time. What are those side effects? Well, for one, you will be tired all the time. Secondly, I found it really hard to focus, and I would forget things that just happened. Thirdly, and most disturbingly, I became a zombie who didn't care about anything and couldn't empathize with people!! I couldn't feel any emotions; I couldn't cry. Not only that, but it was also hard to experience positive emotions/pleasure. This phenomenon is called "emotional bluntness". I didn't notice that I was experiencing this emotional numbness (and most others don't notice too) until people around me started pointing it out. That's just my experience."

J-Gar (taken for 10 years or more) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "Psychiatrist put me back on 25mg ER per day, after using all the others. Xanax withdrawals were the worst. Diazepam for me is much better. Fish Oil capsules help a lot. Prozac caused hair loss. Zoloft horrible. Extended release is the way to go. For sleep I prefer temazapam. Never use diazepam to sleep."

Vegas Rose (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2017