User Reviews for Paxil

Postpartum Depression
6.6

Summary of Paxil reviews 7.2 660 reviews

Reviews for Paxil

For Panic Disorder "I started Paxil along with my twin sister at the age of 19 for severe, debilitating panic attacks/chronic anxiety. I remember we actually felt worse the first couple of weeks but our doctor told us to hold on and push through—that those sick feelings would go away. A low dose of Xanax also helped the first few weeks. I went without anxiety or an attack for 15 years. I weaned off of it for 8 months and anxiety came back. I’m back on 20mg. It took a couple months for anxiety to subside but it’s working like it’s supposed to again. Because I’m now 40 and having hormonal issues, I might have mild anxiety around my cycle. It’s odd when it happens. I have emergency low dose of Xanax for those times—nothing as severe as before Paxil. It has saved mine and my twin sister’s life. It’s a great medication for anxiety. Nervousness and anxiety run in my family as we are all high strung. I didn’t gain crazy weight because I’m an athlete and very active."

Painter June 8, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "Hi, I have been on Paxil for over three months. I stopped taking it 2 weeks ago (cold turkey) and since then, I am dealing with the withdrawal effects. I experienced brain zaps, vertigo, severe anxiety like I never had before. Although the medication worked instantly at first, it stopped working it (anxiety was worse than pre-medication intake) and this is the reason I stopped taking it. In these 3 months, I gained 30 (THIRTY) pounds and I am still gaining despite the fact that I have been off it for two weeks now. Before taking them, I was 100 pounds. I have flu-like symptoms including severe sinus infection, dizziness, headache, lack of appetite, etc. Not worth taking it. If it doesn't fix the problem, what is the purpose for taking it?! If you absolutely have to take SSRIs, consider other medication that has less side effects. Coming off of it...is awful. Worst possible side effects."

Martha (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2018

For Depression "I used this anti depressant for 12 months. It definitely improved my mood and helped my anxiety it also took away menopausal hot flushes. The down side however was that after taking it for about a month I became constantly hungry and have put on about 8kg of weight. The weight was mainly in the stomach area. I recently came off paroxetine by cutting the 20mg tablet in half for a week, then stopping it and going on to 20mg of lexapro. Within a few days my appetite was under control and I am able to eat a lot less. The side effects when I stopped taking it were headaches every morning however this may be because I have a few issues with my neck. I also got hot and cold sensations. Overall it was a good medicine for me"

Sootypie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 7, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I've been on Paxil for many years - and I mean many. 1 - CON: weight gain. A pound for every mg. and it wont come off no matter what I do to exercise and eat right. 2- PRO: I like life again. 3 - CON: dosage increases every few years due to either getting used to it, or the weight gain due to the meds.. a vicious circle."

vansa (taken for 10 years or more) April 30, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I tried this medication and it had the most horrible side effects and all around worsened my condition. It caused a more severe depression and rageful episodes which destroyed a wonderful relationship with my boyfriend. After taking it for less than a month, I could not breath and fell unconscious and had a seizure. It was also prescribed for hot flashes which didn't work either. In addition, it caused nausea and flu-like symptoms and 10lb weight gain. I felt worse than ever and it had a deleterious effect on my life.Horrible drug!"

Sunshine April 25, 2018

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "I am now 8 months on paxil for hot flashes and it has been a changing time in my life since I got off Prempro 4 years ago. I am a different person who does not over react and I feel better than I did for 30 years on HRT. I exercise at the Y 5 days a week and I sleep 7 hours a night. Sex life is still good at 74 years of age. I'm happy and living the dream."

ADELO (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "First off, I am an alcoholic with 8 years of sobriety. Three years into continuous sobriety I began to feel like I was experiencing PMS all the time. I drank for most of my adult life approx . 30 yrs, thus I may have needed SSRI’s all along. Long story short I tried 10 mg of paroxatine or Paxil which made me feel like I had motion sickness a day or two then it went away. I used to obsess over stupid stuff and I felt anxious which effected my sleep. Within 2 weeks I mellowed out without becoming lethargic or tired. Basically it took me down a notch and I am much more patient and not obsessing. 2 1/2 yrs later I am doing great at 20 mg.. my quality of life is much better. I am full time mom, student and wife with no time to be bogged down. Paxil worked well for me."

Sofia (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2018

For Depression "It works by giving you energy (so called mild motivation) which is why is a big NO to people suffering with Bipolar because it triggers Mania. For me generally it works most of the time but I have to frequently change the dosage which is annoying because I have to stay in contact with my doctor almost all the time and your body needs adjustment of the dosage in order to keep track with your general mental condition. Its not only Paxil. SSRIS work the same. Just a big NO for me."

TJGR (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I am 28 years old and have been on Paxil for 2.5 months and it is the best thing that has ever happened to me! I always thought Paxil was for crazy people. I used to always be on edge, worry about EVERYTHING, have chest and neck pain from stress, and was generally unhappy. Since I have been on Paxil I feel like I can live again and I even lost weight. I am in school for my RN and I don’t get angry and stressed about every little thing that doesn’t go my way. It is like my mind and body won’t let me sweat the small stuff. My relationship with my spouse is even better. I haven’t really experienced any negative side effects. Thank goodness for Paxil and my new life!! I couldn’t be happier!"

V (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2018

For Depression "I had been on Paxil years ago for a very long time until it kind of “pooped out” and stopped working. After several attempts at trying to find another antidepressant that worked, I asked my psychiatrist to once again put me back on Paxil. Just a little over 4 weeks of being back on Paxil, the dark cloud that followed me lifted and I was able to see the sun once again. I didn’t give Paxil a 10 only because I experienced many sleepless nights when I first started it, but all in all, it has given me my life back."

Karina from Minnesota (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I was prescribed Paxil (in conjunction with Valium as needed) to treat PTSD, depression, and anxiety. There are side-effects (the most notable one being a seriously lowered libido) but as a whole this was a very positive experience for me. Paxil gave me the baseline of emotional stability I needed to work through my trauma in therapy without putting myself in danger. Overall this has been a success."

Lenn (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I'm writing this because I was initially scared to start taking Paxil after reading a lot of negative reviews online, and I wanted to put a positive one out there. I'm currently on week 6 day 2, on a 10mg dose (I'm a small female). When I started, I had gone over a month barely eating or sleeping, and had lost over 15 pounds in the previous few months due to anxiety/depression. I was struggling with every aspect of my life, and felt like I didn't have the strength to pull myself through it. Today I feel strong, capable, I have my appetite back and my sleep has improved. I am back to my real joyful self and not just a shell of a person. The only side effects I have experienced are exhaustion in the first few weeks, and some jaw clenching at night. All manageable. So, if you're considering Paxil, don't be scared by all the info out there. Every body is different, and you never know: it might be just what you need to help you through this time in your life and find yourself."

Lolo March 10, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I originally started at 20mg. This dose was too much and had trouble sleeping. I went down to 10mg which is working much better for me. Unfortunately, I am experiencing blood taste in my post nasal drip. I have excellent oral hygiene and this is not coming from my mouth. It is definitely the throat. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this? The medication is working but this side effect is gross."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I'm a happier, calmer person. Just ask my wife."

Spanky (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 26, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I have been on Paxil for a little over a month now. Taking 20mg for Social Anxiety. It has helped me tremendously. From feeling more positive to my thoughts being less overwhelming and much more easy to ignore. Especially in times in the winter (when my anxiety is much worse) it has helped to take the edge off. I feel like I am starting to be myself like I was before the SA took over. Would def recommend."

TJ Lin Lin February 13, 2018

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "I have been on 10 mg of the generic of Paxil for post menopausal symptoms for 2 months and I have noticed significant improvement in my conditions. My sex drive as of today, is not effected, however it takes more time to reach orgasm. I've stopped stressing out severely and only have controlled concern over what I would have considered upsetting matters. My anxiety/panic attacks used to last for days and I felt as if I lost myself....Those horrible feelings are now gone. My hot flashes have lessened and I sleep much better. My personality has not changed in a negative way, in fact, I am more pleasant to be around. I used to yell at my kids and husband every weekend, so I'm thinking I should have started taking this medicine a long time ago"

JuliannaO (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Bad headache, I drove a truck and Daydreams and racing thought were making me miss my turns ,or go past my stops. I also stopped taking it because of the headaches"

asdfzxc (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2018

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "Was prescribed Paxil for postmenopausal hot flashes and anxiety. Though it did not completely stop all my hot flashes, it greatly reduced them, making my life bearable. I also have had a lot of anxiety/ social and generalized. Being on this drug, I notice that I have much less anxiety. Overall, I have felt much better on Paxil and have had no troublesome side effects, knock wood."

Jgfb February 3, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Paxil has been very effective for my anxiety. Within a couple months of starting I was able to get a job, something I couldn't do before. I found myself feeling more confident and caring less about things that used to worry me. However, Paxil unfortunately hasn't helped with my depression. And while the side effects I have experienced (sexual dysfunction, vivid dreams, drowsiness) are pretty minor, the withdrawals are insane. My insurance screwed up and I missed my meds for a couple of days and it was a nightmare. I was angry, anxious, suicidal. I had constant brain zaps and could hardly sleep. So be careful with this one. Don't miss any doses and try to take it at the same time every day. And if you want to quit, TAKE IT SLOW."

Sarammmmtia January 26, 2018

For Depression "I've been on Paxil for about three months now, and it's been a welcome change from Effexor. I'm finding myself calmer, less aggressive, still have my bad days but they're not as bad. Family and co-workers have seen a noticeable difference for the better. Effexor numbed me out, I wasn't depressed but I wasn't happy either and after awhile it just became less effective. So far with Paxil, I'm noticing better moods, actually smiling and laughing more so I hope it continues. Only downside I've noticed so far is some drowsiness, but it's manageable."

AmberDawnWpg January 25, 2018

For Anxiety "I have to agree with what Monasusie wrote on this subject (1st of September, 2017). I think this is a helpful drug - it helped me reduce my anxiety in different social situations at work, and prevented me of finding other not so constructive and not so healthy solutions to reduce my fear. It gives me energy and courage. So Paroxetine (or Paxil like you call it in the Anglo-Saxon world) may have a bad name in the press, but it treated me good. Friendly greetings from Western Europe, Alphons"

Fons1971 January 22, 2018

For Panic Disorder "When I first started taking this I almost stopped because I seemed really out of it and I was having problems in the bedroom "

Lisaj80 January 19, 2018

For Depression "Do not take this drug. I took for six months it causes E.D . After stopping this medication for 3 years and feeling fine all of the sudden my memory and keeping train of thought is difficult. Not to mention the weight gain went from 160lb to 200lb, also anxiety is worse than ever"

Anonymous January 19, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Taking paxil for intrusive thoughts. It’s been very effective at cutting done the thoughts which is a welcomed relief. I can’t tolerate high doses due to pains in the body. But was on between 20mg to 7.5mg over the course of 3 years. Then tried to stop and the thoughts cam back. Right now on 10mg and going back up with the doctors help. The meds, Exposure Response Prevention Therapy (ERP Therapy), and a 12 step group OCA have been effective in minimizing symptoms. Very little anaorgasmia but it increases as I go up on the meds. Don’t beat yourself up and give it time to work. It’s a slow gradual improvement with meds. I felt different about 2 weeks, and then every week after I improved. If you can’t figure it out and there’s no conclusion it’s the ocd."

Itsnotyou (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 19, 2018

For Anxiety "During college years received Paxil to deal with exam stress. It calmed me and initially helped . No weight (sporty) but if I missed a dose after 1 year I started crying for no reason, my doc kept prescribing it and I thought I was OK. Yet it totally "numbed" my true emotions and stole my conscisouness and nature. I was mostly in my "head", seeking "pleasures" and not feeling the necessary "fears" (dangers) in life. After 18 years it "pooped-out" and did not work at all. I was just tired and depressed. I had to "wean off" which was a nighmare (panic, brain zaps, pains, suicidal urges, pure hell). Long term Paxil use simply destroyed my "emotional brain" and my inner and outer life!"

Paxil = Devious + Spelbounding January 7, 2018