User Reviews for Paxil

Postpartum Depression
6.6

Summary of Paxil reviews 7.2 677 reviews

Reviews for Paxil

For Panic Disorder "3 years ago, I began having severe panic attacks alongside my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). It made me feel like I was going to die, symptoms included vomiting, diarrhea, chest tightness, irregular breathing and immobility. This escalated to me waking up almost every morning scared for my life, nauseous & vomiting. These episodes would last between 8 hours to 3 days. I could no longer intake food or water and was really underweight, I lost 30lbs. I found an amazing doctor who prescribed me 20mg of Paxil 9 months ago. Within 2 weeks, I noticed a COMPLETE change in my mood and outlook on life. I no longer wake up with panic attacks. I have had about 3 panic episodes in total since being prescribed Paxil when in comparison to when I used to wake up everyday mentally ill. When I have IBS episodes still, sometimes my anxiety surfaces while I'm in the bathroom. Aside from that, Paxil changed my life and made me such a more confident and happy person. I also successfully gained back all the weight that I lost!"

Monica August 31, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been on this drug for 3 years. It's really effective, but if you are prone to weight gain BOY will you put on weight! The biggest con is coming off them. I'm currently going from paxil to Prozac. Paxil withdrawal includes insomnia, dizziness, headaches, feeling faint, itchy skin (like you are being covered in ants), and sweating. I've come off many antidepressants in the past and this is the worst withdrawal I've had."

Beez (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My senior year and last semester of uni I became very stressed and was diagnosed with anxiety disorder after a couple panic attacks that I went to the hospital for (only to be turned away obv) after trying a generic paxil a week or two later my symptoms from anxiety started to fade away. I was able to take 10 to 20mg a day based on how stressful my week was going. After that semester I weaned off a bit but still went somewhat cold turkey, it all seemed fine though. I'll definitely ask for a prescription if my anxiety levels start to cause any more panic attacks ever again. I don't think this drug is the demon that many people say it is. It saved my life."

Student dude (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Was on prozac for OCD at 16 when I tried everything to avoid medication, therapy, journaling, exercise, medication, water intake a healthy diet enough sleep and it still wasn’t enough. It gave me crazy heart burn and by 17 I was on Paxil. That with mindfulness, water intake, a healthy diet and exercise has saved my life. I can’t speak for depression but for OCD it is an integral tool to help me, but be warned by itself it won’t do that well. It’s a tool not magic"

Mm (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 16, 2018

For Anxiety "Took 6 to 8 weeks for this to kick in fully. I suffered from severe generalized anxiety and agoraphobia. It was hard to do anything. I was in constant fear of my heart rate going high, not being able to get medical attention in certain situations and overall anxiety levels through the roof. I've tried Citalopram (Celexa) 20, 40 and 60mg and didn't work, Effexor and didn't work, Buspar and didn't work. Xanax helps and Klonopin helps. Out of those two I prefer Klonopin but they aren't meant for long term and only used them when I was really desparate. I've been on 20mg of Paroxetine (Paxil) for 4 months now and it's like I never had anxiety. I'm able to go on trips planes, cab rides, busses. I'm able to go outside and enjoy myself. I started golfing again which I love. I'm able to go to the gym and exercise and not freak out that my heart rate is high and start having a panic attack. I'm able to just live life without being in constant fear state."

LongTimeSufferer August 9, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been on it since around 1999. I had been doped up before on Xanax and sick like a dog on Buspar. 2 weeks after taking paxil I woke up from a 5 year bad dream. Here I am today almost two decades later. If it makes you feel sick after a month taking it then it's probably not right for your chemical imbalance. Buspar was that way for me. But if it's right for you you'll know it. Everything will feel normal again. No more excessive worry or constant fear of going crazy. I will say it's a commitment if it works on you. Getting off it sucks real bad but if you're like me you have no desire to go back to the nightmare. But if you don't like it just stop after a month to reduce withdraw risk. Just realize this is not a good drug to be on temporary, it's something you have to take to function until there's a cure. It's affordable without insurance too. I thank Paxil every day."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2018

For Depression "I had to stop taking it, it made my depression 1000 times worse "

MJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2018

For Anxiety "Paxil is very effective BUT it has wayyyy to many negative side effects. When I was on Paxil, I experienced nausea, headaches, fatigue, and burning sensation in the stomach. I literally felt like a zombie that had zero energy. I’m glad I was not on it for too long which made me get zero withdraws, but it did keep me from getting anxiety or feeling depressed because I felt sick the entire time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Taking for panic attacks and agoraphobia. Started at 10mg and worked up to 30mg. The difference in my anxiety, mood, and energy levels is dramatic. I feel normal again, it's almost euphoric how much better I feel. I have more energy during the day, no panic attacks, and I sleep better. I did gain weight (20 lbs.) over six months, but a membership to the gym and joining Weight Watchers has helped me lose 12 lbs. and counting, so it's coming off. This medicine has been a godsend for me."

kdclark (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been taking Paxil for about a year now and have to say several positive things about it. Although it can be a pain to remember to take it, everyone’s body is different and withdrawals are manageable. (And if they aren’t you can go into any emergency room and request a refill; in an emergency) . Paxil has given me confidence in myself. I feel you have to treat it like a vitamin, thinking that the pill will fix everything can make you a typical pessimist, however, effects are really noticeable around the 3-4 week period. My experience is a more stable mood, diminished social anxiety, and more energy. I began to see improvements in the threshold for my emotions. It would take me a lot longer to become upset or anxious about something. It is not as if the feeling is gone but you become less stimulated by your environment. Things that really were stressful and important to me became petty and easier to manage. I have taken Lexapro, Prozac, and Effexor and I think Paxil has been the best overall SSRI."

Ryandawg (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 21, 2018

For Anxiety "I was given paxil for my anxiety and panic attacks.. The first day I took this medicine I was feeling great, then the past few days I have had really bad side effects. Headache, dizziness, feeling faint, very nauseous, and my anxiety and panic attacks came back with a vengeance. Severe anxiety and 3 panic attacks, not to mention it looked like I got sunburn but it is another reaction to the medicine."

cupcake (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

For Anxiety "I took paxil for years for anxiety. The side effects got to the point I discussed with my doctor about getting off of it. He recommended tapering and starting welbutrin. I can say this. The paxil withdrawal symptoms are purely awful. I would lie in bed for weeks. Couldn't stop vomiting. Dizziness still persists. While it did alleviate anxiety. I'd rather have anxiety than the awfulness it put me through. I would never recommend this to anybody"

Joesep (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2018

For Depression "I have been taking Paxil since 1999 and have slowly had to increase my dosage to 60mg. Have been stable with that dosage for awhile now. I do not think I would of been here to this day with out it. I have HUGE anxieties and panic attacks back to back. I had no idea what was wrong with me. Finally after many different meds. These work. I know that I will always have to take these for Life and I am okay with it. My Father (RIP) committed suicide in 1996 and I refused to go down that route. I think that is what triggered my break down. I am glad that before my "breakdown" I chose not to have children. I am now 47 and very thankful that I made the right decision to not have children, I would never ever been pregnant and taking meds. Things happen for reasons"

Shelly (taken for 10 years or more) July 5, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I started taking Paxil 3 years ago. I was changing jobs after 20 years, had a second child and my wife and I were no longer close. I was angry and stressed out all the time and started having euphoric dizzy sensations so I was put on 20mg. What a life changer! I started to notice that the small things didn't bother me anymore and a lot of the big things were manageable. I still got the dizzy sensations, but slowly over the next year, they went away. I'm 6'4" and weighed 250lbs. when I started taking and now weigh 300lb now. I definitely suffered from weight gain. Also, if you miss taking one, you know it. That sucks. Take it at the same time every night. It evened everything out. I take it before bed, as I wasn't sure if it would make me tired or not. Also, as an occasional beer drinker, after one I get REALLY sleepy.Despite these effects Paxil has worked great for me. Would recommend."

JD July 5, 2018

For Panic Disorder "Started on 10mg for panic disorder and worked up to 20mg. It enabled me to accomplish things I couldn't do before, but didn't completely rid me of all anxiety, just took the edge off enough to allow me to function. Recently my anxiety/panic has gotten steadily worse, so I'm going to request going up to 40mg, the target dose for panic disorder. I had next to no side effects other than some insomnia and a brief bout of sexual dysfunction where it was hard to climax. I gained about 17 lbs. since starting it, but I also feel better enough to go out to restaurants and I eat out about 4 times a week. My exercise routine has also slackened due to lack of motivation. I suppose it could slow down metabolism, assuming the weight gain isn't entirely my fault (which I think it is), but even so, it's really not a deal-breaker considering how severe my anxiety was. Even though my dosage now needs adjusting, it has helped me lead a semi-normal life for the past year."

kevindcl July 1, 2018

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have been on Paxil for 15 years (except when I was pregnant) It's been great for my OCD, but still makes me feel tired and I've gained weight that's hard to lose on it. I'm switching to something else that might be more energizing and doesn't pile on the pounds. Overall, I think it can be an awesome drug for anxiety and OCD in my experience, but there are a lot of side effects compared to other SSRIs."

Lynn20 (taken for 10 years or more) July 1, 2018

For Depression "I took this medication for depression and anxiety it worked like a charm. However the side effects were pretty crazy - Firstly I had trouble urinating on this medication, I had to concentrate really hard to pee, had sexual problems couldn't get "off". I also gained 15-20 pounds in 3 months, had a dry mouth, and once I got off the medication the withdrawals were really bad. Brain zaps, ringing in ears for 2-3 weeks after stopping the medication. Oh and this medication caused me to get sleep paralysis. Never had this condition before getting on paxil."

Jensen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2018

For Panic Disorder "I started Paxil along with my twin sister at the age of 19 for severe, debilitating panic attacks/chronic anxiety. I remember we actually felt worse the first couple of weeks but our doctor told us to hold on and push through—that those sick feelings would go away. A low dose of Xanax also helped the first few weeks. I went without anxiety or an attack for 15 years. I weaned off of it for 8 months and anxiety came back. I’m back on 20mg. It took a couple months for anxiety to subside but it’s working like it’s supposed to again. Because I’m now 40 and having hormonal issues, I might have mild anxiety around my cycle. It’s odd when it happens. I have emergency low dose of Xanax for those times—nothing as severe as before Paxil. It has saved mine and my twin sister’s life. It’s a great medication for anxiety. Nervousness and anxiety run in my family as we are all high strung. I didn’t gain crazy weight because I’m an athlete and very active."

Painter June 8, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "Hi, I have been on Paxil for over three months. I stopped taking it 2 weeks ago (cold turkey) and since then, I am dealing with the withdrawal effects. I experienced brain zaps, vertigo, severe anxiety like I never had before. Although the medication worked instantly at first, it stopped working it (anxiety was worse than pre-medication intake) and this is the reason I stopped taking it. In these 3 months, I gained 30 (THIRTY) pounds and I am still gaining despite the fact that I have been off it for two weeks now. Before taking them, I was 100 pounds. I have flu-like symptoms including severe sinus infection, dizziness, headache, lack of appetite, etc. Not worth taking it. If it doesn't fix the problem, what is the purpose for taking it?! If you absolutely have to take SSRIs, consider other medication that has less side effects. Coming off of it...is awful. Worst possible side effects."

Martha (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2018

For Depression "I used this anti depressant for 12 months. It definitely improved my mood and helped my anxiety it also took away menopausal hot flushes. The down side however was that after taking it for about a month I became constantly hungry and have put on about 8kg of weight. The weight was mainly in the stomach area. I recently came off paroxetine by cutting the 20mg tablet in half for a week, then stopping it and going on to 20mg of lexapro. Within a few days my appetite was under control and I am able to eat a lot less. The side effects when I stopped taking it were headaches every morning however this may be because I have a few issues with my neck. I also got hot and cold sensations. Overall it was a good medicine for me"

Sootypie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 7, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I've been on Paxil for many years - and I mean many. 1 - CON: weight gain. A pound for every mg. and it wont come off no matter what I do to exercise and eat right. 2- PRO: I like life again. 3 - CON: dosage increases every few years due to either getting used to it, or the weight gain due to the meds.. a vicious circle."

vansa (taken for 10 years or more) April 30, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I tried this medication and it had the most horrible side effects and all around worsened my condition. It caused a more severe depression and rageful episodes which destroyed a wonderful relationship with my boyfriend. After taking it for less than a month, I could not breath and fell unconscious and had a seizure. It was also prescribed for hot flashes which didn't work either. In addition, it caused nausea and flu-like symptoms and 10lb weight gain. I felt worse than ever and it had a deleterious effect on my life.Horrible drug!"

Sunshine April 25, 2018

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "I am now 8 months on paxil for hot flashes and it has been a changing time in my life since I got off Prempro 4 years ago. I am a different person who does not over react and I feel better than I did for 30 years on HRT. I exercise at the Y 5 days a week and I sleep 7 hours a night. Sex life is still good at 74 years of age. I'm happy and living the dream."

ADELO (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "First off, I am an alcoholic with 8 years of sobriety. Three years into continuous sobriety I began to feel like I was experiencing PMS all the time. I drank for most of my adult life approx . 30 yrs, thus I may have needed SSRI’s all along. Long story short I tried 10 mg of paroxatine or Paxil which made me feel like I had motion sickness a day or two then it went away. I used to obsess over stupid stuff and I felt anxious which effected my sleep. Within 2 weeks I mellowed out without becoming lethargic or tired. Basically it took me down a notch and I am much more patient and not obsessing. 2 1/2 yrs later I am doing great at 20 mg.. my quality of life is much better. I am full time mom, student and wife with no time to be bogged down. Paxil worked well for me."

Sofia (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2018

For Depression "It works by giving you energy (so called mild motivation) which is why is a big NO to people suffering with Bipolar because it triggers Mania. For me generally it works most of the time but I have to frequently change the dosage which is annoying because I have to stay in contact with my doctor almost all the time and your body needs adjustment of the dosage in order to keep track with your general mental condition. Its not only Paxil. SSRIS work the same. Just a big NO for me."

TJGR (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Micromedex® Care Notes