User Reviews for Paxil

Anxiety and Stress 63 reviews 9 medications

7.1
Summary of Paxil reviews 501 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Paxil

For Depression "Well this is a veeeery strong drug and an effective one but has a lot of side effects and the withdrawal is an absolute nightmare. I started taking paroxetine because of depression, social anxiety and suicidal thoughts. The drug has helped me to overcome the crippling anxiety but it also made me emotionaly numb. This numbness is a common side effect for SSRI but in my case it caused an aggravation of depression. While taking paxil I felt like nothing made sense anymore. It was a horrible experience but then again it allowed me to see things more objectively without the overpowering emotional ballast I had before. I stopped taking paroxetine and now I feel like I was on a long vacation from my self and my mind."

xaman July 19, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I started Paxil to control anxiety. The first brand was Auribindo. It worked about one month. I was using less Klonopin. Then out of the blue I had a Panic attack that put me in the hospital overnight. Then I switched generic brands to Zydus. On my first dose I thought I would die. It felt like I had overdosed. It happened within 10 minutes of taking that brand. It was only 15mg. I have now received the Dylan brand and will take it in the morning. I say this for people who think the Paxil may not work. You need to do a trial run on these no good generics. I felt like I was dying plus so nauseated on the Zydus brand. Hopefully the Nylon will work. I am running out of brands to try."

Paul user (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

For Depression "I strongly recommend Paxil 20 mg for depression this drug has uplifted my mood, and truly suppressed my appetite I have been on it for two weeks and loss four pounds already. The one side effect that I have experience is excessive yarning. Once the dose was adjusted the symptoms has stop."

Foune July 14, 2016

For Depression "My husband had prostate cancer and had to have it removed. It was done in a new method where they did not have to cut nerves or uretha. No chemo or bags for urine, he still enjoyed sex although it was trying even with the blue pill. A year later he started having some panic attacks and would start crying over small things. He has always been A very outgoing person and vert talkative and joked with everyone. He retired very abruptly in a year. I kept working for another 5 yrs. I was noticing a change but I let it go. If he wanted something he bought it. If he wanted to do something he did it. If he didn't want to do something, he didnt. He wanted a 40,ooo pickup.he bought it. He's always loved to play poker. I hate this man now."

Kathy chandler July 9, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "February 2015 I had an overdose due to depression. I still haven't admitted I was depressed but the anxiety is real. I couldn't go to class when I did go to school. My stomach would go crazy and my mind wouldn't stop racing. I was then put on Paxil. I have been on it for a year and a half now and I'm trying to get off it. not that it isn't working for my anxiety but my emotions are uncontrollable when I try to get off it and when I am on it I feel like I'm just going. I find myself looking back on a week and not remembering a time I took to just chill and think. because Paxil thinks for me. I don't like that so I am trying to get off it."

Keyia 17 years old (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2016

For Anxiety "I went on this medication due to me having severe anxiety and mild OCD to the point where it affected me in almost every aspect, I've only been on it for almost a month and so far the results have been amazing, the only side effect that I've really noticed is the fact that I get sleepy so I take it before bed. Other than that I'm more happy, more calm, my OCD isn't as bad anymore"

Bellacarly (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

For Anxiety "Ive been taking Paxil for around 3 years now,Im under 18 by the way for people who say its not safe,For my Anxiety,the first 2 years i was on it i was on 20mg,then sometime in 2015 switched it to 40mg,Now im on 60mg,and ive never been better,as far as anxiety goes,Ive tried Zoloft and it did nothing but give me more anxiety,I was on Latuda with it and i had to stop the latuda because I had horrible side effects to it,Ive never had a bad reaction to Paxil,maybe other than slight weight gain. If your going to take Paxil for Depression i wouldent recommend it,but everyone its different,its never helped as far as depression goes,it does slightly help now that im on the 60mg,but im still looking for a anti-depressant to go with it."

Anna_R2000 July 3, 2016

For Anxiety "I had a pretty good experience while taking this drug. I decided to pursue a career that would need me to not be on any medications and talked to my doctor about it. She slowly started to take me off the medications and that took about 2 months total to get off. About 4 days after I stopped taking the medication completely I began shaking uncontrollably, was nauseous and my depression/ anxiety was through the roof. I went to the ER and they said it was withdrawal. These side effects lasted about 2 months total but weren't as severe the whole time. Its been about 5 months since I went off and I feel great!"

HHAn June 27, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was sent to a psychologist for depression and anxiety when I was just 16. She put me on Paxil. It really saved my life. I was unable to sleep and soanxious I could enjoy nothing. After 20 years if feeling normal, although I did gain weight, I decided to wean myself because of the weight issue. Big mistake. I crashed due to stress and been in a state of extreme panic and anxiety for over a week. I can't eat and I lost 10 pounds in a week because I want to be sick all the time. Tried switching to Prozac which made it worse! I'm back to Paxil and I know it will help me again soon as it kicks in. In the mean time I am on Ativan. I wished I never stopped it. Works great for extreme anxiety and depression."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 26, 2016

For Depression "I've been on Paxil for 16 yrs and overall it's been a positive in my life. There have been days through the years when anxiety has still arisen. This spring depression returned and my dr increased my dosage from 20-30 mg. After a month my mood stabilized, depression lifted and I've been able to resume enjoying life again. However, last night I drank 3 beers and today have walked around like a zombie. Not worth the after effects!!"

Panzy June 22, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've been meaning to write this for a couple of months now. I started getting really crippling panic attacks last year. from the panic attacks came mild agoraphobia and then the depression sunk in after not thinking i could help myself. I went through about 4 ssri's before being put on paxil. I can honestly say it has changed my life. I am 95% back to my old self and everyday i actually enjoy getting up. don let other peoples experiences with ssri's affect you. everyone reacts differently and there is definitely one out there that will work for you. In saying that there are 2 types of people with anxiety and depression, a person who does nothing, and a person who gets up and does everything about it. (I'm 21 by the way)"

jay22579 June 21, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I'm super medication sensitive so I started out at 5mg for panic disorder. My doctor said there's no way 5mg is going to help, but after 4 weeks it was like a switch was flicked. I went back to my old self for 3 whole days. I had to come off of it due to uncontrollable neck jerking and head twitching. It's the strangest thing I've ever experienced. It's been over a month since I quit and I'm still doing it alot. Not as much, but seriously way too much. I hope this isn't permanent. Now I have panic disorder and neck jerking. Lovely."

Daedryth (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2016

For Depression "I've been on this for a couple months now it has helped but one issue all I do is sleep."

Bonecrusher (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "Seemed to be working only for the first 6 months then it slowly stopped working and I had to go through incredibly hard withdrawal symptoms."

Filip147 June 11, 2016

For Anxiety "* Reminder, everyone's experience is different and you won't know how this medication works for you until you try it.* I'm 18 and used to suffer from severe social and general anxiety, and mild depression. I've had a bad past with antidepressants but I decided to try Paxil (20mg) because I was desperate. My anxiety is 95% gone, I'm wanting to be more social, and I'm happy all of the time! I don't worry anymore and it's amazing. There are some side effects (which were terrible the first week but reduced with time); headaches, reduced libido, tiredness, smaller apetite {I'm thankful for this one}, and insomnia. Paxil works amazing for my anxiety and I'm so happy I tried it. I'm making new friends and I think I'll secure a job soon :)."

Whistlescript (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2016

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I've recently gotten off a 2.5 year paxil treatment for my social anxiety. My main issue was sweaty face/body and red face breakout. I was first perscribed 20mg but as nothing changed after 2 months I was put on 40mg. It certainly helped. I was quiet tired in the beginning but it got better. I felt the side effects as I gained over 10kg in the past 1.5, and also I didn't have much of a sex drive and almost impossible to orgasm (I'm Male). Regardless though it helped my life for the better. Unfortunately stopping recently was a bad idea, my anxiety has returned along with a certain feel of depression. I'll be returning to paxil starting tomorrow with 20mg, and see how it goes. Regardless of the side effects etc, it did help me in my life."

Phtoa (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 2, 2016

For Anxiety "Okay so I started taking Paxil a few months ago for anxiety, only 10mg. For the first little bit it was weird, my body felt different and I couldn't eat much, my bowel movements became very irregular. I felt like it was maybe working. I became very tired (I've always been a late sleeper) but it was hard to get out of bed, my thoughts were constantly negative, especially when I would be alone or driving alone. I had a constant headache i didn't want to do anything. I worked out a little bit in the duration but not much. I Couldn't decide whether I should stop or take more and I stopped. It's been about 2 weeks now and I'm starting to feel better and more positive, but still anxious"

Lostandconfused2016 June 2, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "Had a severe reaction to this medication one first dose including waking in the middle of the night dizzy and disoriented, proceeding to vomit repeatedly, numbness in fingertips and gums, severe chills and then soaking in sweat, and difficulty speaking. Took a trip to the ER. I am sure that it works for some people, but the side effects can be very scary. Make sure someone is aware you took it and keeps an eye on you. It is very unlikely you will have a reaction like I did, but having someone in the know will save you some trouble if you do have a bad reaction."

Panic at the Bathroom (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "Hello, Paxil ruined my life. The first month was great and then is turned horrible, like horrible. If I missed one pill I would get the most horrendous serotonin withdraw, so horrible my fore head would burn, nose would run, I would snap on anyone around me. Then it just turned into that was just how I was, if one tiny thing went wrong I was the most dramatic individual ever, hysterically crying (like rolling around on the floor crying, sweating hyperventilating) over things that weren't even a big deal. It has put so much strain on my relationships I don't think some are repairable. Coming off of them seemed next to impossible,then I switched brands, the pink ones are like poison the white are bearable. Do not take this drug, seriousl"

Lefony (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I attempted suicide a few times and was hospitalized for months. I was out of work and on social security and on other meds from 2008 until 2014. I was taking meds that were extremely expensive and could not afford them. I had relocated and had a new doctor. He decided to try me on Paxil. WOW is all I can say I was like a different person in a very short time. I have gone back to work and now hold down a fulltime position and have a life. It was like a miracle drug for me. My doctor told me I needed to let you know of my success as he was astonished also. THANK YOU FOR PAXIL"

Linda55705gmail.com (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 12, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I started taking Paxil about 2 months ago and it have saved my life. However the first two weeks of taking it was hell. When you first start taking it, your serotonin dips slightly because the drug is trying to adjust to your system. I suffer from a panic disorder and my anxiety was so bad that i had several extreme panic attacks where I have had to call up an ambulance. This happened 3 or 4 times during these weeks and one happened whilst I was driving on the dual carriageway. However these weeks are worth it, i can't even remember how to have a panic attack and my self confidence is as high as it's ever been."

Lois27072707 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was dealing with anxiety in college my junior year and so I decided to talk to my doctor about it and he prescribed Paxil. When I started taking it, my appetite increased, energy went down, my emotions were just monotonous like I couldn't feel anything. I also gained 15 pounds in 4 months which is not normal for me, especially since I had been working out and hadn't changed my eating habits at all. After being on this drug for 5 months, I am weaning myself off it and I am feeling a million times better. I would recommend a different drug if you are having problems with anxiety."

Anonymous May 8, 2016

For Anxiety "Crippling, horrible anxiety brought on by menopause. Couldn't take hormones. I went through heck trying many antidepressants. One smart doctor tried me on lowest dose of generic Paxil, never changed the dose, allowed my system to get used to it. It worked like a charm! I am able to work full time and do anything I want. The side effects are minimal for me. Yes, I gained some weight but now enjoy taking walks to exercise. No regrets about trying this med at all. Life saver!"

Ann10 May 1, 2016

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Changed my life. I can function at work--even facilitate meetings-- and have social interactions without the physical "fight or flight" response kicking in. It does make me tired, and there are some sexual side effects, otherwise I would have rated 10."

Some One April 28, 2016

For Trichotillomania "I have OCD, anxiety, and ADHD. I also pick my cuticles everyday. The official name is Dermatillomania and it's closely related to pulling hair out. I've been picking my cuticles for 25 years. There has never been a time when I did not pick them to some degree. I try to hide them and I frequently make them bleed. I take 450 mg of Wellbutrin XL and 25 mg of Paxil (by cutting the pills) daily. I started the Paxil almost a month ago for anxiety. While it has helped a lot with anxiety, it's even more incredible to me that my cuticles are now almost perfect with just one tiny blemish and my nails are long. This is the ONLY time they've looked like this since I started when I was 9 years old. Very, very pleased! No more hiding my fingers!"

RachelSanders409 April 26, 2016