User Reviews for Paxil

6.9
Postmenopausal Symptoms 1 reviews 202 medications

Summary of Paxil reviews 580 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Paxil

For Anxiety "Pros: works for anxiety, depression Cons: weight gain, ED, orgasm troubles, just stopped caring about everything"

nanotech23 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "The good: - Improved motivation - More stable moods, fewer deep lows - Improved self-confidence - Decreased anxiety The bad: - (during the first few weeks) Insomnia - (during the first few weeks) Drowsiness - (transient) Vivid bad dreams - Difficulty reaching orgasm - Forgetfulness - Emotional blunting"

Saraaaannnnna April 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I've been taking paxil and Trazadone and its been helping me to get through each day. My anxiety is down and I sleep well."

Lilyrose223 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I was given Paxil 20 mg for depression. I had not taken any antidepressant during my life. My greatest sadness was when my brother died. It stopped working. I know this med is NOT a magic pill. Instead of feeling better, I was feeling worse. I did NOT do ANY research on this med. My Family Practice MD told me to take 40 mg. Again, I took the med but didn't really feel well on this med. I gained LOTS of weight. I was put on the med because I was depressed and NOT eating. That changed quickly, when I started the Paxil. I finally decided that Paxil was not working for me, I was overweight and I decided to wean from this med. I started educating myself regarding Paxil. Paxil MUST be tapered/weaned. Med can't be stopped abruptly."

Idon'trecommendPAXIL (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I rate Paxil as a 10. It worked almost immediately with me to relieve my symptoms and the only side effect is that it makes me sleepy/tired, which isn't a problem to me as I am retired (my doctor suggested that I can change the time that I take it, from morning to evening and I am considering doing that, especially if I decide to go back to work again)."

Minnesota Skinny (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I was put onto horrid paxil in 1996. Turned into zombie gained 60 lbs in 4 months. Went off cold turkey, doctor said no problem won't make weight gain and not addictive. She believed the sales rep. Now 2017. Weight still high can't shed weight unless total fast that kicks in serious medical issues Plus....diabetes. yep paxil can give you that deadly expensive disease. DONT take this drug, they test on patients' withdrawal now they call it something else. Good luck. But run away from this dangerous drug. You will gain fat you can't lose and end up losing a foot and your vision to this drug. Depressed now? Try it from a wheel chair and being blind from paxil caused diabetes."

senn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "Been using Paxil for about 20 years, 15 mg daily. I suffered from lifelong depression and anxiety and can attest that Paxil probably saved my life as I contemplated suicide seriously on multiple occasions before taking the drug. It's good about 100% for depression, maybe 75% effective against Anxiety. If I miss it for 2-3 days I start feeling down in the dumps again. The side effects that some posters noted above are usually only temporary. Over time they all disappear-I had several of them in the beginning as well-not a big deal. Love this drug."

Paul Morphy April 8, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I was skeptical at first but just after the first week I feel a huge difference. I have slight nausea, dry mouth and yawning but they are getting better. The world is a much better place now."

Copper69 (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "Tried 4 SSRI's and paxil was the worst, was on it for 7 months at 40mg for depression, social anxiety and OCD and no improvement at all. It was VERY sedating and made it very difficult to orgasm, which was frustrating. I am now on Lexapro which is working great with half the side effects of paxil. I suggest looking at other SSRI's before considering paxil."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I used to be on 20mg Aropax for 7 years for my Borderline personality Disorder, Social Anxiety, Anxiety and Depression. I use to self harm and not be happy. I was always hospitalised and going down a destructive road. Other medicines made me worse like cipramil, Zoloft and Valium. Aropax did not make me 100% cured but help me deal with everyday issues better I still find that you need to practise mindfulness techniques and practice Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. This drug is only if you have severe depression and anxiety and find it difficult to use standard coping skills. I was off Aropax for 3 years and coping well now I have had a relapse and anxiety worse than ever. I am now back on it for 3 days hopefully it will work soon."

FR34KE March 28, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Bad thoughts. Worsening depression gained 35 lbs in 6 months. Liver enzymes slightly off. I feel like a cow. I stopped taking it and am taking lexapro but still gaining weight. I have always been thin."

Mmarti March 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "My doctor weaned me off of Paxil a few weeks ago as it wasn't working. Three days after the last dose was the start of the two worst weeks of my life. It included migraines, nausea, decreased vision, when I turned my head or moved my eyes there was a whooshing sound in my head accompanied by extreme dizziness. Then there were the bouts of crying for no apparent reason. In summary I would call this poison not medicine."

Huro1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I was very hesitant to take medication as I had been raised to associate it with seriously mentally ill people in a negative way. Social anxiety had extreme physiological effects on me, though, that therapy could not fix, i.e. the inability to speak loudly over loud noises or when out somewhere like a club, and premature ejaculation. Paxil basically fixed this immediately. Paxil makes it so much easier to silence negative thoughts automatically. I was and am on a very low dose (10mg) and it works so well. It really did change my life. The only negative side effects are that it makes me sleepy. It also gave me a weird sensation in my teeth for the first month or so, but I actually enjoyed that feeling."

JG696 March 5, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Was on Paxil for 4 years because I could never handle the withdrawal symptoms. I had severe aches and electric shocks along with all flu symptoms. I finally slowly tapered off over 3 months with the liquid Paxil. I have been off of it now for at least 10 years. I have tried at least 100 different supplements and anti anxiety treatments.....I have tried them all...believe me.....it is hell on earth when you can't provide for your family. I even spent $4000 having all my mercury fillings removed. I had genetic testing of SNP polymorphism's that revealed MTHFR and MAO mutations. I found a genetic reason for my anxiety. In short I can't make neurotransmitters and when I do I can't break them down so they build up causing social anxiety."

Jubaea March 4, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "It worked, a little too well. I became indifferent to EVERYTHING. inside it was like a part of me was screaming, but my whole body and 90% of my brain just did what it needed too. I am normally a goofy, fun loving, hyper personality. I do get bouts of seemingly unshakable depression and anxiety, but while on this medication, I noticed a change in myself... beyond the tunnel vision, and kaleidoscopic hallucinations I had when waking up in the middle of the night... every night. the final straw was was seeing my now wife, looking like she lost her best friend, as I just wasn't myself. I stopped taking the mediation, and within 2 days started singing to her again, and nothing brought a smile like that to her face until we said "I do"."

42 February 26, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I have been taking paroxetine for about 2 yrs. I had dealt with social anxiety and depression my whole life and I'm 51 now. I could deal with it, but when I got a promotion and needed to facilitate mtgs, training etc. I would have panic attacks and it was horrible. I had tried a couple other meds. (lexipro, Prozac and they didn't help). I feel like a new person.. I actually feel ok for the first time in my life. I don't worry about what people think of me and I can actually be happy. I am so thankful to God and this drug!!"

shv51 February 25, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Been on Paxil for about 1 month starting my second it's been helping me a lot with my panic disorders & social experiences. My mg for Paxil is low 10mg. However, whoever is starting this medication don't get discourage it will take time for Paxil to kick in but it will be worth it at the end just set a daily reminder everyday to take it."

katharinne24 February 24, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "Paxil worked every time for me. I wouldn't say it save my life bc I believe God saved my life. But let me tell you it brings you back to normal sanity. When your not obsessing bout your anxiety or depression or feeling sad, that's when you know you hit the jack pot. Anxiety and depression come out of no where and Paxil helped every times. Been on for 11 years on and off. This time round bout 4th time took longer and little stronger dose but hang on. I swear to YOU it gets amazing. Not better but GREAT. LIFE IS SO GOOD. SEEK HELP"

SonyaBoBonya February 18, 2017

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "For years I felt depressed and shy and had anxiety but was too young to understand and definitely too shy to say anything . As I got older I decided to talk to my doctor on how I was feeling . After a few years on and off of anti depressants feeling so sick I couldn't take them anymore. And now I'm 21 I have been on Paxil for about 6 months. The first month was really hard because I felt so nauseous and shaky and heart kept racing and was extremely tired . But I fought through it all . And today for the first time I feel alive , happy , loved and most importantly I feel like myself and how I should have felt along time ago. Please do not drink on this medication or any other anti depressants. It will definitely slow the process down ."

ShaniaL February 14, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Got headaches and felt tired constantly so I switched to Prozac."

Alex858 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I've been on Paxil for about 30 days. The change in my mood has been positive and very gradual. Currently I take Latuda with Paxil at night. I'm not buzzing with joy but my outlook is positive and so I think the Paxil is doing it's job.... I'm just not sure."

SF Depressed Man (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I started on 10mg Paxil 2 months ago, and my life is changed. I was able to recognize how amazing life is without the shadow of anxiety which caused my depression. I came back to myself. My therapist recommended doing a trial of 20mg to see if my remaining anxiety issues could be subsided as well. I just started today and I feel a little more lethargic than I'd like to and I fear for my sex life. I'm going to try it for a while until my body adjusts and if I still feel out of sorts, I'm going to drop back down to 10mg. The first week or two of symptoms was pretty terrible, I was yawning excessively. VERY nauseous, tired often...but as soon as my body adjusted, an amazing sense of clarity came over me--first time in 15 years. Life changing."

LadyMadonna0 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I absolutely HATED this medication. I have been struggling with panic attacks and major depression since I was younger. I was put on this medication for about a year and my panic attacks were not so often. The downsides of medication Is that I felt little to no emotion, And had ZERO sex drive."

MeowxD January 31, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have had great success with Paxil. These personal comments we leave should really be considered with a 'grain of salt'. There are so many unknown variables which dictate success of a drug on one person and failure with the same drug on another person. If you read through the thread of helpful comments here you will see that there is the need to be very candid with your health care provider and be ready to try different medications until you find satisfaction. These medications DO WORK. You just have to find the right one for you. Have faith. You will find the right med for you. Life is amazing and will go on and get better!! Never give up. Every day is a new chance."

SeanfromCanada January 26, 2017

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I don't understand why people quit after 3 days starting it. It made them too anxious or depressed - isn't this why you are taking it? It doesn't work overnight. I too am very impatient and would prefer a quick fix. But the first 2 weeks are rough but if your persevere the benefits outweigh the startup. I'm into my 3rd week and it's working really well it is like a lightbulb moment. I gave a 9 because for the life of me I cannot orgasm but I'll take that over the suicidal thoughts and feeling lifeless anyday... remember give it time your brain needs to adjust... stay strong x"

Ethan100 January 23, 2017