User Reviews for Paxil

7.1
Postmenopausal Symptoms 1 reviews 202 medications

Summary of Paxil reviews 518 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Paxil

For Anxiety "I was on 40mg for months and I noticed absolutely nothing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

For Depression "A miracle drug for me after taking this med it gave.me the courage and strength to get up and do things it made me see things in a different way..ive been off and on with this med for four years now its the only antidepressant that works for me my anxiety completely went away and i feel like i can go threw with thing called life.."

Anonymous September 25, 2016

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Started on 10mg. It helped my anxiety a lot, but I would HAVE to take naps during the day or I couldn't function. That improved after several months. I upped the dose to 20mg. I forgot what it was like to have social anxiety. It was wonderful. The downside to this is that I gained 45 pounds in those 11 months. I'm 5'5. I went from 115 to 160. I've never had issues with weight. I've always had trouble GAINING weight. I didn't want to gain this much. No change in my exercise routine or eating habits. I had to go off of it because it was destroying my self esteem and causing depression. The withdrawals were hell, but I'm gradually losing the weight I gained now that I'm off of it. I'm so disappointed, but hopefully I can find another med."

UsneaDecay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2016

For Anxiety "I suffer from generalized anxiety, and my phichiatrist prescribed me 10mg Paxil even though I already take 25mg of seroquel. I took it on Friday Morning was good all day. I took it on Saturday, I was a bit sluggish. Sunday morning I took it at church I felt a sudden cold sensation of the back of my head and down my back. I had to leave early because I started to feel weird. Around 3am I woke up feeling scared out my mind for no reason. I couldn't go back to sleep. The next day I spend all day anxious than at night after I took the seroquel. I was still anxious I laid down and started getting sleepy. My husband was holding me and when I opened my eyes a few seconds later my entire body was tingling. It was one of the worst feelings ever."

Beyshie September 13, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I was on this drug for a long time and the only thing I can report is that I felt like a zombie most of the time, was so tired that I could barely function ( lost my job as a result of it ), and had absolutely no desire for sex whatsoever. I rarely felt that I was thoroughly enjoying anything that was going on in my life, it completely numbed me out to a traumatic experience that I should have been dealing with and as a result of being on it I did not fully process that experience until getting off of the medication... That and the withdrawal symptoms were debilitating, and terrible. Brain zaps are not a fun experience and they were bad with this one."

Ang.S (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2016

For Anxiety "Paxil is going to effect everyone differently. What worked great for me, may be the worst medication you've ever tried. I've been on Paxil for 20 years and for a large majority of those years, Paxil really helped me with my anxiety. I've been back and forth between 15-30mg many times. I never had any major side effects from it (not libido, not weight gain). The thing with Paxil is, there's the potential for what's called "Paxil poop out" (yes, it's real, Google it) where the Paxil stops being effective. I was completely unaware of this so I was totally blindsided with debilitating anxiety and horrible panic attacks out of nowhere one day. I was really bummed because Paxil had done so much good for me. It's a great med when it works."

Mr. Anxious (taken for 10 years or more) September 6, 2016

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Been on Paxil since 2012. All in all there has been good and bad like any medication. Some side effects people complain about like tiredness and appetite increase for me have been to my advantage. Anxiety robbed me of my appetite and sleep. It has helped me with my social anxiety in ways other media didn't. It actually made me want to be more sociable and made me finally see how small my fears were which I made out to be so unreal. Anyways now I don't fear public places or people anymore I feel normal as I would call It!"

Canadian4Life (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 6, 2016

For Anxiety "Was prescribed this at around 16-17 yrs old, for social and generalized anxiety. It did work well, but the excessive sweating and my father's anti-med nagging made me try and quit. I had only been taking it for like 5 months and I felt like I'd been addicted for years. Brain zaps, constant lethargy, extreme and unwarranted moods; these symptoms lasted an entire month, despite my short usage time. I'm upset that this was the first thing they tried, on a 17 yr old complaining about social anxiety and the occasional panic attack... That month was the worst I've ever felt, if I wasn't a teen without responsibilities or took it for longer, I don't think I could've ever gotten off of it. Read withdrawal stories before starting Paxil."

Jo79341 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed Paxil for situational depression that was pretty severe, merging on PTSD. (I went through a really bad relationship breakup that was traumatic) I also had GAD (general anxiety). I took Paxil for about 8 weeks. It started working right away and I felt so much better I'd say within a day or two. I slept better and woke in the morning without massive anxiety and intrusive thoughts and my depression began to lift. BUT I gained a whopping 20 pounds in the 8 weeks I was on Paxil. It was so awful that I had the doctor wean me off of it . I thought once it was out of my system that the weight would slowly come off but it didn't - I gained another 10 lbs. I think Paxil messes with your metabolism. Will NEVER take it again."

46yrold August 18, 2016

For Postmenopausal Symptoms "51yo healthy female. Minor pre menopausal signs periodic mood swings, tiredness. Prescribed Paxil 10 mgs. Severe bouts of exhaustion, heart palpitations, breathing anomalies, sexual disfunction, felt like zombie. Slept 2 days. Quit meds day 6. 16 days from quitting feel horrible. Severely depressed, anxious, tired, (never have felt anxious or depressed prior). Still sleep too much, experience outrageous wildly abnormal mood swings, have neglected my work, my house, my pets, my friends & exercise (was running 5 miles daily prior, now do nothing) Still experience breathing abnormalities. Better each day yet unable to function normally. Life & business in ruins, cry constantly. Nightmarish experience. Feel like I may never be the same again."

Eli Mae August 16, 2016

For Anxiety "I am 21 years old and I have had sever anxiety and OCD for 5 years. I almost didn't graduate high school and almost lost my job because I couldn't even get out of bed or leave the comfort of my own home so I resorted to medicine. I was also dealing with a slight depression at the time and so my doctor recommended Paxil to me and for 2 years I have been on the 10mlg dose and it works wonders! The only negative thing that I have to say about it is that I don't feel like I have a lot of energy and it made me gain 50lbs..I attempted to get off and with counseling deal with my anxiety on my own and went through extreme withdraws, (brain spasms!!, mood swings, depression.) I love this stuff it changed my life but it sucks coming off of it."

Natalie103 August 10, 2016

For Depression "I personally WILL NEVER recommend Paxil to ANYONE. It literally ruined my life. At first, I felt that it was ok. But, quickly and suddenly, I started gaining weight. ALOT of weight. Literally, my pants fit one week and did not fix the next week. And that wasn't all. I was feeling much worse. I was very manic. So depressed that I could not get out of bed. My life was work, eat, and sleep. I had no motivation and I started fixating on thoughts of suicide. It wasn't until the unexplained rapid weight gain that I started to ask myself what had changed in my routine. That's when I realized that Paxil was the newest addition to my life and I began doing research. I've been off of it for about 2 months and I still can't lose the weight."

Jenna6281 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

For Depression "It makes me tired"

source (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2016

For Anxiety "Everyone's experience WILL be different. I have experienced anxiety all my life, but no depression. A medium to low dose of Paxil has normalized me. My previous extreme fear of nautiousness and throwing up has been quelled. Ativan and Xanax are fine as a temp solution (say for flying), but Pax has provided me with a normal level of anxiety. I give Paxil 5 stars, but only if you feel anxiety along with some OCD. Depression, bipolar, might require something else."

Tim Pittsburgh August 5, 2016

For Anxiety "I tried them for 4 months!! It was the worst experience i ever had!! I got brain zaps and could not sleep at all. I have mild severe frontal brain damage from a fall. Coming off them is worse than any benzo I have tried!! In fact there just as bad if not worse than a benzo. atleast the benzo drugs work for anxieties!!!! . If you read about antidepressants like i did on google. You will see that they are nothing more than a addicting placebo . Don't let anyone get you on those medications. Just google the fact that the drug companies are handing them out like candy and they do more harm than good. If you like sex than don't get involved with antidepressants!! Because you will not have any sexual wants whatsoever. I wish they did work!!"

brain injured August 4, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I took Paxil for 5 years. I have been off Paxil now for 7 years, and ...I suffer from OCD and panic attacks. I am 49 years old and have suffered since childhood with my "issues". I won't go into great detail.I do not take medicine, but I was in VERY bad shape when I started on Paxil. Within a few days, I slept, stopped washing my feet, counting things, and those obsessive thoughts were gone.THANK GOD. I did gain weight, and my family described me as being an emtional zombie. I chose to discontinue taking Paxil on my own, which was a bad idea. NEVER. I say NEVER do that. I am lucky that I am still alive. If you choose to quit taking it please do that only under the care of your physician. Today I am not cured, but I am happy and living norm"

lauriehappy5 August 3, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I feel like my old self. I have more energy and confidence. I have new hobbies. I am less stressed and more focused. It has changed my life."

80's art girl July 31, 2016

For Depression "Well this is a veeeery strong drug and an effective one but has a lot of side effects and the withdrawal is an absolute nightmare. I started taking paroxetine because of depression, social anxiety and suicidal thoughts. The drug has helped me to overcome the crippling anxiety but it also made me emotionaly numb. This numbness is a common side effect for SSRI but in my case it caused an aggravation of depression. While taking paxil I felt like nothing made sense anymore. It was a horrible experience but then again it allowed me to see things more objectively without the overpowering emotional ballast I had before. I stopped taking paroxetine and now I feel like I was on a long vacation from my self and my mind."

xaman July 19, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I started Paxil to control anxiety. The first brand was Auribindo. It worked about one month. I was using less Klonopin. Then out of the blue I had a Panic attack that put me in the hospital overnight. Then I switched generic brands to Zydus. On my first dose I thought I would die. It felt like I had overdosed. It happened within 10 minutes of taking that brand. It was only 15mg. I have now received the Dylan brand and will take it in the morning. I say this for people who think the Paxil may not work. You need to do a trial run on these no good generics. I felt like I was dying plus so nauseated on the Zydus brand. Hopefully the Nylon will work. I am running out of brands to try."

Paul user (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2016

For Depression "I strongly recommend Paxil 20 mg for depression this drug has uplifted my mood, and truly suppressed my appetite I have been on it for two weeks and loss four pounds already. The one side effect that I have experience is excessive yarning. Once the dose was adjusted the symptoms has stop."

Foune July 14, 2016

For Depression "My husband had prostate cancer and had to have it removed. It was done in a new method where they did not have to cut nerves or uretha. No chemo or bags for urine, he still enjoyed sex although it was trying even with the blue pill. A year later he started having some panic attacks and would start crying over small things. He has always been A very outgoing person and vert talkative and joked with everyone. He retired very abruptly in a year. I kept working for another 5 yrs. I was noticing a change but I let it go. If he wanted something he bought it. If he wanted to do something he did it. If he didn't want to do something, he didnt. He wanted a 40,ooo pickup.he bought it. He's always loved to play poker. I hate this man now."

Kathy chandler July 9, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "February 2015 I had an overdose due to depression. I still haven't admitted I was depressed but the anxiety is real. I couldn't go to class when I did go to school. My stomach would go crazy and my mind wouldn't stop racing. I was then put on Paxil. I have been on it for a year and a half now and I'm trying to get off it. not that it isn't working for my anxiety but my emotions are uncontrollable when I try to get off it and when I am on it I feel like I'm just going. I find myself looking back on a week and not remembering a time I took to just chill and think. because Paxil thinks for me. I don't like that so I am trying to get off it."

Keyia 17 years old (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2016

For Anxiety "I went on this medication due to me having severe anxiety and mild OCD to the point where it affected me in almost every aspect, I've only been on it for almost a month and so far the results have been amazing, the only side effect that I've really noticed is the fact that I get sleepy so I take it before bed. Other than that I'm more happy, more calm, my OCD isn't as bad anymore"

Bellacarly (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

For Anxiety "Ive been taking Paxil for around 3 years now,Im under 18 by the way for people who say its not safe,For my Anxiety,the first 2 years i was on it i was on 20mg,then sometime in 2015 switched it to 40mg,Now im on 60mg,and ive never been better,as far as anxiety goes,Ive tried Zoloft and it did nothing but give me more anxiety,I was on Latuda with it and i had to stop the latuda because I had horrible side effects to it,Ive never had a bad reaction to Paxil,maybe other than slight weight gain. If your going to take Paxil for Depression i wouldent recommend it,but everyone its different,its never helped as far as depression goes,it does slightly help now that im on the 60mg,but im still looking for a anti-depressant to go with it."

Anna_R2000 July 3, 2016

For Anxiety "I had a pretty good experience while taking this drug. I decided to pursue a career that would need me to not be on any medications and talked to my doctor about it. She slowly started to take me off the medications and that took about 2 months total to get off. About 4 days after I stopped taking the medication completely I began shaking uncontrollably, was nauseous and my depression/ anxiety was through the roof. I went to the ER and they said it was withdrawal. These side effects lasted about 2 months total but weren't as severe the whole time. Its been about 5 months since I went off and I feel great!"

HHAn June 27, 2016