User Reviews for Paxil

6.9
Postmenopausal Symptoms 1 reviews 202 medications

Summary of Paxil reviews 593 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Paxil

For Anxiety "I started Paxil approx 3 weeks ago and my life started changing for the better about 2 weeks into it. I feel my social anxiety dissolving, I didn't realize how depressed I was, but life is starting to look so much brighter. I suffered with bad pe which made sexual intimacy impossible, and this has pretty much gone away. I am becoming more outgoing and able to express myself to others and working hard to remove everything in my head which caused my anxiety by talking with my spouse and others in my family. I am also becoming much more comfortable in social situations. I sure hope in continues, because I can't imagine going back to my old self. I had bad nausea and was so tired the first week, but so worth it."

Kt5132 June 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I started this for anxiety and depression, mostly social anxiety. It definitely helped with my social anxiety but not in a good way. I swear it caused a personality change. I went from being terrified of talking around people to randomly blurting out weird stuff in class and being squirrelly and hyper. I went from this quiet shy girl to being kind of whacko. I started getting in trouble in class for being disruptive. I was regularly displaying behavior that was inappropriate in public. Weirdest thing ever. I discontinued it and after a little while was back to myself. Not sure how common this is? Very strange."

Made me a different person. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I've taken this for 2 days and my heart already races and my anxiety is crippling. I already want off."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "Paxil is one of the few antidepressants that worked well for me. However, don't stop taking the drug when you start feeling better. Stopping Paxil abruptly made me physically ill. The Paxil withdrawal symptoms are similar to opiate withdrawal."

Bud G (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Got a big rash on my abdomen, that got increasingly painful and itchy. An allergic reaction to the medication (I wasn't taking anything else at the time) This was a shame! Because the medication had a substantial effect on my social anxiety. The first few days I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster, but then I started to really enjoy social interaction, I could understand why people talked to other people for fun! Only ended up taking it for a little over a week, but wanted to share my experience incase anyone else is experiencing a rash."

Roxie22 May 29, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "Here is my experience with 10+ years of taking Paxil. It did a good job controlling anxiety in combination with Lorazepam 4x daily. But there was a huge cost to taking Paxil. I gained 10lbs for every 10mg of Paxil I took for a total of 40lbs gained slowly over years. Also, erectile disfunction became a problem. Finally, about 2 years ago, because of insurance change, I had to change psychiatrists. My new psychiatrist asked me if I had noticed side effects of weight gain and sexual dysfunction while on Paxil. I had no idea my weight gain was related to Paxil. He weaned me off Paxil an on to Prozac. I lost 40 lbs in 6 mos without trying. Prozac works just as well with my anxiety. Perhaps Paxil isn't the right choice for some people."

SlimmerWNoPaxil May 27, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Social Anxiety Disorder "Paxil definitely works for social anxiety. However, the side effects just became intolerable over time. What are those side effects? Well, for one, you will be tired all the time. Secondly, I found it really hard to focus, and I would forget things that just happened. Thirdly, and most disturbingly, I became a zombie who didn't care about anything and couldn't empathize with people!! I couldn't feel any emotions; I couldn't cry. Not only that, but it was also hard to experience positive emotions/pleasure. This phenomenon is called "emotional bluntness". I didn't notice that I was experiencing this emotional numbness (and most others don't notice too) until people around me started pointing it out. That's just my experience."

J-Gar (taken for 10 years or more) May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "Psychiatrist put me back on 25mg ER per day, after using all the others. Xanax withdrawals were the worst. Diazepam for me is much better. Fish Oil capsules help a lot. Prozac caused hair loss. Zoloft horrible. Extended release is the way to go. For sleep I prefer temazapam. Never use diazepam to sleep."

Vegas Rose (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've only been on paxil for 8 days but my side effects are minimal. I started on 5 mg and am moving to 10mg today. Fingers crossed that this works. So far this has been the best in minimal side effects compared to others I have taken"

Schmutz84 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I have been on Paxil for 19 years, the side effects are becoming too much to bare so recently I attempted to wean from it, I became so physically ill and mentally disturbed I had to be hospitalized and put back up a dose to stop the withdrawals, now I have to take the liquid for to slowly wean off, it is worse then heroin withdrawal and methadone withdrawal both which I have over come cold turkey. I cannot get off this medication and it is sad because I want to have children but pregnancy is a no no while on Paxil, I'm 34 I've been on it since I was 15, I was put on it and never told anything about the addictiveness and withdrawals or any of the problems associated with it, it was a bandaid solution that has become a life long addiction"

Candicane_34 May 1, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I started with severe panic and anxiety attacks 3 years ago, which honestly made me think I was going crazy, scariest time in my life. I tried Zoloft and Lexapro and both made me feel worse. January 2015 I started Paxil 10mg and worked up to 20mg and honestly felt like my old self again, no longer dealt with the attacks. However, in February 2017 I decided to try Prozac because the Paxil had made me numb to everything and I did gain about 45lbs on it. I have now been on Prozac for almost 3 months and am waiting to switch back over to the paxil because I feel anxious and irritable on this and miss the paxil. I pray for all of you who deal with this awful disease and pray one day they can find an actual cure for it!!!!!"

crash0825 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "Just went back on it after finding another doctor for my ssi"

Alabama gal (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 30, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I am a long time (near 25 years) Paxil user. Some of your new users need to give it a chance before making an assessment. I had some of those side effects early on-they were no big deal and they all went away over time. Bottom line, I suffered from lifelong severe depression-Paxil literally stopped me from taking my own life. On Anxiety, the result has not been as positive, but perhaps I need to increase my dosage? I'll talk to my physician on that. If you're mainly depressed I heartily endorse Paxil, it reduces depression with minimal side effects. It's a wonder drug in my book!"

Bronco Philly April 27, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "Pros: works for anxiety, depression Cons: weight gain, ED, orgasm troubles, just stopped caring about everything"

nanotech23 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "The good: - Improved motivation - More stable moods, fewer deep lows - Improved self-confidence - Decreased anxiety The bad: - (during the first few weeks) Insomnia - (during the first few weeks) Drowsiness - (transient) Vivid bad dreams - Difficulty reaching orgasm - Forgetfulness - Emotional blunting"

Saraaaannnnna April 23, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I've been taking paxil and Trazadone and its been helping me to get through each day. My anxiety is down and I sleep well."

Lilyrose223 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 22, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I was given Paxil 20 mg for depression. I had not taken any antidepressant during my life. My greatest sadness was when my brother died. It stopped working. I know this med is NOT a magic pill. Instead of feeling better, I was feeling worse. I did NOT do ANY research on this med. My Family Practice MD told me to take 40 mg. Again, I took the med but didn't really feel well on this med. I gained LOTS of weight. I was put on the med because I was depressed and NOT eating. That changed quickly, when I started the Paxil. I finally decided that Paxil was not working for me, I was overweight and I decided to wean from this med. I started educating myself regarding Paxil. Paxil MUST be tapered/weaned. Med can't be stopped abruptly."

Idon'trecommendPAXIL (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I rate Paxil as a 10. It worked almost immediately with me to relieve my symptoms and the only side effect is that it makes me sleepy/tired, which isn't a problem to me as I am retired (my doctor suggested that I can change the time that I take it, from morning to evening and I am considering doing that, especially if I decide to go back to work again)."

Minnesota Skinny (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I was put onto horrid paxil in 1996. Turned into zombie gained 60 lbs in 4 months. Went off cold turkey, doctor said no problem won't make weight gain and not addictive. She believed the sales rep. Now 2017. Weight still high can't shed weight unless total fast that kicks in serious medical issues Plus....diabetes. yep paxil can give you that deadly expensive disease. DONT take this drug, they test on patients' withdrawal now they call it something else. Good luck. But run away from this dangerous drug. You will gain fat you can't lose and end up losing a foot and your vision to this drug. Depressed now? Try it from a wheel chair and being blind from paxil caused diabetes."

senn (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "Been using Paxil for about 20 years, 15 mg daily. I suffered from lifelong depression and anxiety and can attest that Paxil probably saved my life as I contemplated suicide seriously on multiple occasions before taking the drug. It's good about 100% for depression, maybe 75% effective against Anxiety. If I miss it for 2-3 days I start feeling down in the dumps again. The side effects that some posters noted above are usually only temporary. Over time they all disappear-I had several of them in the beginning as well-not a big deal. Love this drug."

Paul Morphy April 8, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety "I was skeptical at first but just after the first week I feel a huge difference. I have slight nausea, dry mouth and yawning but they are getting better. The world is a much better place now."

Copper69 (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2017

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder "Tried 4 SSRI's and paxil was the worst, was on it for 7 months at 40mg for depression, social anxiety and OCD and no improvement at all. It was VERY sedating and made it very difficult to orgasm, which was frustrating. I am now on Lexapro which is working great with half the side effects of paxil. I suggest looking at other SSRI's before considering paxil."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I used to be on 20mg Aropax for 7 years for my Borderline personality Disorder, Social Anxiety, Anxiety and Depression. I use to self harm and not be happy. I was always hospitalised and going down a destructive road. Other medicines made me worse like cipramil, Zoloft and Valium. Aropax did not make me 100% cured but help me deal with everyday issues better I still find that you need to practise mindfulness techniques and practice Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. This drug is only if you have severe depression and anxiety and find it difficult to use standard coping skills. I was off Aropax for 3 years and coping well now I have had a relapse and anxiety worse than ever. I am now back on it for 3 days hopefully it will work soon."

FR34KE March 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Bad thoughts. Worsening depression gained 35 lbs in 6 months. Liver enzymes slightly off. I feel like a cow. I stopped taking it and am taking lexapro but still gaining weight. I have always been thin."

Mmarti March 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "My doctor weaned me off of Paxil a few weeks ago as it wasn't working. Three days after the last dose was the start of the two worst weeks of my life. It included migraines, nausea, decreased vision, when I turned my head or moved my eyes there was a whooshing sound in my head accompanied by extreme dizziness. Then there were the bouts of crying for no apparent reason. In summary I would call this poison not medicine."

Huro1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017