User Reviews for Paxil to treat Anxiety and Stress

Paxil Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Paxil

Doc · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 25, 2020

“Paxil made me gain about 50 pounds so I got off it. It didn't even work that well for my anxiety. The withdrawal coming off it were a nightmare - seriously - this drug is awful. My doctor said the weight gain is likely permanent :(”

Code · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2020

“Lin- I didn’t mean to “report” you. My experience with Paxil has been very much the same! Just got to get through it and we will all be better people. Hang in there, you got this. Always Love”

Rotag January 25, 2020

“I have taken Paxil twice. Once in my twenties and I'm currently on it again in my early 40s and for different reasons. Having gone through the withdrawal before I can tell you that it is difficult and you should not do it without being under the watchful eye of a dr. My main side effect is sexual, which in my 20's worked well. Now that I'm older, the delay in ejaculation is fine however the lack of feeling isn't great. Normally, you can feel the semen rising up through your urethra but on Paxil you can't. It still feels good to orgasm but not the same. After I got off of it last time I became so sensitive that two thrusts and I would explode. Not good for the ladies although my wife always said she didn't care. At this point, my agreement with my dr. is that I'm going on the drug for a short period and will begin my tapering again soon. I will say that this does keep me from getting aura migraines and it is wonderful not to have those.”

MZaidi · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

“I just started a new job, all the stress turned into anxiety to the point I would get dizzy, heat strokes, and be close to passing out. My doctor started me with Praxil 20mg after a month increased my dose to 30mg once a day everyday. I also take Buspirone twice a day. I still have a personality and feel extremely better then a few months ago. Please be patient it takes a month to kick in -- side effects are minor and last for a week. Taking Praxil after lunch instead of the morning really helped manage the side effects. Hang in there everyone! Side Effects for first week 1. Sleepy after taking 2. Blur vision 3. Head aches 4. Increased appetite”

Chilled out December 15, 2019

“Been taking Paxil at low dose 5 mg. I like Paxil because my doctor said it helps with sleep. With other SSRIs I tried, I woke up throughout night. Doctor said if I stay at low dose, may not experience the weight gain, we’ll see. Trying to eat healthy and exercise daily too. Hope this helps, so far so good.. anxiety can be terrible..”

WJ · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2019

“Worst AD I have ever tried. The medication actually magnified my anxiety to the point of madness. My brain was out of control. Body pain, cramping, muscle tension, blurred vision, headache, severe back, spine and stomach pain. If you're a male, do not take Paxil. It will destroy you libido and as far as male working parts it will strip you of your manhood. Nothing will work if you're sexually active. This medication is awful. As soon as I stopped taking it the side effects disappeared. Doctors are over prescribing AD's. If you suffer from pain, they take you off pain meds and create a new of problems with AD's.”

Looper October 23, 2019

“If you are reading this comment it means you have a problem, and its not going to disappear by itself. So don't worry about withdrawal because you'll take it forever because it will work. The starting side effects last a month. Take some time off your schedule. It is the strongest of its category”

Nana · Taken for 10 years or more October 20, 2019

“I've been on 60 mg of paxil daily for years now, but I am so sad and disconnected from everything and everyone. It helps with my anxiety but I've gain a lot of weight! To say the least I am depressed over it but I am afraid to stop taking it since I've been on it for so long. It's turmoil not knowing what to do to help myself.”

NicVall October 15, 2019

“I started taking Paxil back in 2002 and I’ve been on/off it until I started to wean off it a few months ago - big mistake. I almost got off of it on my own pace (fast) but at the wrong time (too much stress, plus I was bringing up bad past experiences that triggered anxiety/stress in my life). Last Monday I had a hard time talking w/o feeling winded and shortness of breath, plus I was tense all over and I lost interest in everything. Now I’m back on it at a low dose (7.5mg (cut) but need to go back up to 20 or 30mg. 30mg was my long term dose). I tried Viibryd for a day but diarrhea sucked so no thanks. Figured I should just stick with what worked. I can honestly say I really miss not having to go through this as we all are. I’m definitely looking forward to the day when I can be normal again like this never happened. Now it’s repair time - brain work. Gotta get some positive mindfulness books. Stay positive as much as you can. Whatever helps for the moment. One day at a time.”

Lin · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

“Family physician prescribed Paxil thinking it would alleviate my anxiety. I don't have anxiety but he believes I do. I tried the prescription, and I thought I was dying. I had the most horrible allergic reaction. I couldn't breathe and my heart was racing. He told me that I was having an anxiety attack. He's determined to keep pushing this on me and is threatening me to remove me off diazepam. Never had problems with diazepam. I told him I'm not depressed but he's insisting I am and insisting I have anxiety.”

young421 · Taken for 10 years or more July 20, 2019

“I started taking paxil back in 1996 and it was the greatest drug it help me get thru my depression and anxiety and it gave me my life back. Now I am 60 I slowly got off pazil for 6 months now my troubles are back. I am going back on my Paxil because with out it I can't live a normal day. I am slowing letting Paxil back into my system. I need this drug so I can live a normal life. I hope this helps everyone, but everyone system is different. I have tried other ones but never worked as good a Paxil. I'll never go off it again, its my life saver. Good luck but I know Paxil is really worth trying, but to avoid the side effects slowly take them to get back into your system. I wish I had never been taken off Paxil as it is my life saving drug. Thank you Paxil for giving my life back. God Bless you”

worm · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 12, 2019

“If you are male and over the age of 40 and have any sex drive, stay away from Paxil, it is male birth control, it is the worse medicine to get off of ,took me 3 weeks of weening with smaller and less each day to get off it, and it didn't do nothing to control depression or anxiety. I don't know why I took it almost a year before I said NO MORE. I could still kick my doctors behind for talking me into trying it”

Mel · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 1, 2019

“This medication is terrible! The most horrible medication that someone could be on! I slept non stop for 7 weeks while on it and in three months I gained massive weight (15 pounds) and, although I have been off it for 2 years, I cannot get rid of this excessive weight I gained while on Paxil! And, terrible withdrawal effects. It should be pulled off the market for its serious side effects and it cannot help with anything!”

NickOfVA · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2019

“So let's just say after my wife had the cops show up at my door it brought me to Paxil 20mg, I'm a changed man. Before Paxil I started having anger outburst over stupid stuff, hot to cold really quick and verbally assault people. My sleeping patterns were terrible which didn't help. If I drank alcohol I'd turn into the Incredible Hulk! On the Paxil I'm a chill dude now, the only thing that I don't like is that it makes me a little too chill and I find myself shaking if off but maybe after another week or so I'll better adjust. I'll take this mood over what I previously had and day!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 4, 2019

“I tried everything from Zoloft, Xanax, Valium Cymbalta. After a severe rollover accident and 3 surgeries I had infections in my stomach which led to h pylori then 2000mg of antibiotics which led to Barrett disease then severe debilitating anxiety and depression. I am sensitive to all medication. Paxil low dose of 10mg after 6 months has saved my life and God of course. Please don't give up”

Byrd Lover · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2018

“Second time trying Paxil. First time it worked within a few days, had some side effects, but helped with my panic attacks and anxiety. I felt better after a couple of months, so I got off. So now, I'm having bad anxiety again, along with panic attacks. My Doctor put me back on Paxil at 5mg for 2 weeks, then wants me to increase to 10. This time, really bad side effects, dizziness, and panic attacks are worse than ever after taking for 5 days. But......in between it is helping with my anxiety and panic, so I am going to stick it out and see if these side effects will stop.”

JD July 5, 2018

“I started taking Paxil 3 years ago. I was changing jobs after 20 years, had a second child and my wife and I were no longer close. I was angry and stressed out all the time and started having euphoric dizzy sensations so I was put on 20mg. What a life changer! I started to notice that the small things didn't bother me anymore and a lot of the big things were manageable. I still got the dizzy sensations, but slowly over the next year, they went away. I'm 6'4" and weighed 250lbs. when I started taking and now weigh 300lb now. I definitely suffered from weight gain. Also, if you miss taking one, you know it. That sucks. Take it at the same time every night. It evened everything out. I take it before bed, as I wasn't sure if it would make me tired or not. Also, as an occasional beer drinker, after one I get REALLY sleepy.Despite these effects Paxil has worked great for me. Would recommend.”

Martha · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2018

“Hi, I have been on Paxil for over three months. I stopped taking it 2 weeks ago (cold turkey) and since then, I am dealing with the withdrawal effects. I experienced brain zaps, vertigo, severe anxiety like I never had before. Although the medication worked instantly at first, it stopped working it (anxiety was worse than pre-medication intake) and this is the reason I stopped taking it. In these 3 months, I gained 30 (THIRTY) pounds and I am still gaining despite the fact that I have been off it for two weeks now. Before taking them, I was 100 pounds. I have flu-like symptoms including severe sinus infection, dizziness, headache, lack of appetite, etc. Not worth taking it. If it doesn't fix the problem, what is the purpose for taking it?! If you absolutely have to take SSRIs, consider other medication that has less side effects. Coming off of it...is awful. Worst possible side effects.”

vansa · Taken for 10 years or more April 30, 2018

“I've been on Paxil for many years - and I mean many. 1 - CON: weight gain. A pound for every mg. and it wont come off no matter what I do to exercise and eat right. 2- PRO: I like life again. 3 - CON: dosage increases every few years due to either getting used to it, or the weight gain due to the meds.. a vicious circle.”

V · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 28, 2018

“I am 28 years old and have been on Paxil for 2.5 months and it is the best thing that has ever happened to me! I always thought Paxil was for crazy people. I used to always be on edge, worry about EVERYTHING, have chest and neck pain from stress, and was generally unhappy. Since I have been on Paxil I feel like I can live again and I even lost weight. I am in school for my RN and I don’t get angry and stressed about every little thing that doesn’t go my way. It is like my mind and body won’t let me sweat the small stuff. My relationship with my spouse is even better. I haven’t really experienced any negative side effects. Thank goodness for Paxil and my new life!! I couldn’t be happier!”

Lolo March 10, 2018

“I'm writing this because I was initially scared to start taking Paxil after reading a lot of negative reviews online, and I wanted to put a positive one out there. I'm currently on week 6 day 2, on a 10mg dose (I'm a small female). When I started, I had gone over a month barely eating or sleeping, and had lost over 15 pounds in the previous few months due to anxiety/depression. I was struggling with every aspect of my life, and felt like I didn't have the strength to pull myself through it. Today I feel strong, capable, I have my appetite back and my sleep has improved. I am back to my real joyful self and not just a shell of a person. The only side effects I have experienced are exhaustion in the first few weeks, and some jaw clenching at night. All manageable. So, if you're considering Paxil, don't be scared by all the info out there. Every body is different, and you never know: it might be just what you need to help you through this time in your life and find yourself.”

Marymoella · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 17, 2017

“I've been taking Paxil 10mg for 3 years and I'm not looking to increase dose. I did gain weight but that’s also cause I was not so stressed about being thin , when I do exercise I am super fit . Paxil works , orgasms were harder but by no means impossible, just takes longer . I feel normal on it , went off for six weeks and there were mild side effects but nothing crazy . Had to go back on as there was a major trauma that happened while I was off them and I crumbled . I say do it but keep the dose low , you don’t need to take a lot .”

PsychDrugsSuck · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 14, 2017

“Horrible drug. Paxil is garbage. I've been on the majority of these psych drugs. Pure poison. Now that the horrible withdrawal effects are lessening--I'm getting much better. While on and coming off them, it was pure hell. That's my experience.”

PinkDeanna July 30, 2017

“Taken off Escitalopram 10mg which I was on for years and put onto Paroxetine 20mg for generalised anxiety and sleep disorder. Experienced terrible side effects- dizziness and almost fainting, headache, tingling extremeties, nausea, weight loss. I was feeling like a whole different person in general. But nothing was worse than the withdrawal effects. I basically felt like a walking dead person- all of the above plus severe flu-like symptoms- I literally couldn't leave bed for days. Took a couple of weeks to feel good again but had to start taking escitalopram again to get there.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2017

“I've taken this for 2 days and my heart already races and my anxiety is crippling. I already want off.”