User Reviews for Paxil

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I've been taking Paxil 10mg for 3 years and I'm not looking to increase dose. I did gain weight but that’s also cause I was not so stressed about being thin , when I do exercise I am super fit . Paxil works , orgasms were harder but by no means impossible, just takes longer . I feel normal on it , went off for six weeks and there were mild side effects but nothing crazy . Had to go back on as there was a major trauma that happened while I was off them and I crumbled . I say do it but keep the dose low , you don’t need to take a lot ."

Marymoella (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible drug. Paxil is garbage. I've been on the majority of these psych drugs. Pure poison. Now that the horrible withdrawal effects are lessening--I'm getting much better. While on and coming off them, it was pure hell. That's my experience."

PsychDrugsSuck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taken off Escitalopram 10mg which I was on for years and put onto Paroxetine 20mg for generalised anxiety and sleep disorder. Experienced terrible side effects- dizziness and almost fainting, headache, tingling extremeties, nausea, weight loss. I was feeling like a whole different person in general. But nothing was worse than the withdrawal effects. I basically felt like a walking dead person- all of the above plus severe flu-like symptoms- I literally couldn't leave bed for days. Took a couple of weeks to feel good again but had to start taking escitalopram again to get there."

PinkDeanna July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken this for 2 days and my heart already races and my anxiety is crippling. I already want off."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started with severe panic and anxiety attacks 3 years ago, which honestly made me think I was going crazy, scariest time in my life. I tried Zoloft and Lexapro and both made me feel worse. January 2015 I started Paxil 10mg and worked up to 20mg and honestly felt like my old self again, no longer dealt with the attacks. However, in February 2017 I decided to try Prozac because the Paxil had made me numb to everything and I did gain about 45lbs on it. I have now been on Prozac for almost 3 months and am waiting to switch back over to the paxil because I feel anxious and irritable on this and miss the paxil. I pray for all of you who deal with this awful disease and pray one day they can find an actual cure for it!!!!!"

crash0825 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just went back on it after finding another doctor for my ssi"

Alabama gal (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been using Paxil for about 20 years, 15 mg daily. I suffered from lifelong depression and anxiety and can attest that Paxil probably saved my life as I contemplated suicide seriously on multiple occasions before taking the drug. It's good about 100% for depression, maybe 75% effective against Anxiety. If I miss it for 2-3 days I start feeling down in the dumps again. The side effects that some posters noted above are usually only temporary. Over time they all disappear-I had several of them in the beginning as well-not a big deal. Love this drug."

Paul Morphy April 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to be on 20mg Aropax for 7 years for my Borderline personality Disorder, Social Anxiety, Anxiety and Depression. I use to self harm and not be happy. I was always hospitalised and going down a destructive road. Other medicines made me worse like cipramil, Zoloft and Valium. Aropax did not make me 100% cured but help me deal with everyday issues better I still find that you need to practise mindfulness techniques and practice Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. This drug is only if you have severe depression and anxiety and find it difficult to use standard coping skills. I was off Aropax for 3 years and coping well now I have had a relapse and anxiety worse than ever. I am now back on it for 3 days hopefully it will work soon."

FR34KE March 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It worked, a little too well. I became indifferent to EVERYTHING. inside it was like a part of me was screaming, but my whole body and 90% of my brain just did what it needed too. I am normally a goofy, fun loving, hyper personality. I do get bouts of seemingly unshakable depression and anxiety, but while on this medication, I noticed a change in myself... beyond the tunnel vision, and kaleidoscopic hallucinations I had when waking up in the middle of the night... every night. the final straw was was seeing my now wife, looking like she lost her best friend, as I just wasn't myself. I stopped taking the mediation, and within 2 days started singing to her again, and nothing brought a smile like that to her face until we said "I do"."

42 February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For all of you writing your bad experiences on here really need to rethink the purpose of your post. Writing about an experience that is short of something you would see in an exorcism movie (head spinning, projectile vomiting, sweating, hyperventilating etc.) Be careful. You are posting in a forum of people who have diagnosed anxiety and they turn to the Internet and read these posts, that more than likely are exaggerated, breeding greater anxiety or worse making someone not take the medication. The medication was prescribed for a reason with hundreds of millions of dollars in research spent in studying it. Ranging from bacterial study to small animal study to large animal study to human trials etc. This medication is very safe."

Jacob1985 January 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given 12.5 mg of generic Paxil 5 days ago. My anxiety started to manifest itself with uncontrollable crying. While it's has been only 5 days, the crying has stopped. So I'm happy with that. However, I am experiencing side effects: lightheaded, pin prick feelings in arms and legs, some joint pain, lower back pain, and lethargy that makes me feel like doing/caring about nothing. Because the side effects come and go, I'm willing to wait it out to see if everything mellows out."

MazzyStar1 January 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At first I loved paxil because I wasn't crying all the time but even as I'm writing this I feel like there are sprinklers going off in my head. I'm always forgetting things, 0 sex drive, either I'm in a euphoric state of mind or completely absent minded. I constantly feel stoned (and not the good kind).I just started a new job and I can hardly focus."

Crazy. Jerky. Mood swings December 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Thanks to paxil (paroxetine) my life got basically destroyed. I was depressed before taking it, yes, but i hadn't mood swings, 0 emotions, sexual disfunctions, cognitive issues, tremors, memory not working. I feel like an empty shell. Avoid please"

Paxil victim (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yeah, Paxil definitely saved my arse really. I tried prozac first and went totally off the rails with anxiety and 2 days on paxil and I slept and knew that it was the one for me. I am a fool though because I keep trying to come off it because it works so well for anxiety. I have been reduced to 10 mg's from 20 and have been enjoying that but noticed that my mind fluctuates between optimism and pessimism really quite quickly. The mind is a strange thing. Anyway, it keeps me grounded, no panic attacks, no anxiety. Amazing how we all react so differently to these various SSRI's. Pity about the sex drive with Paxil. I fall in love still but I don't have that physical thing going off like people off antidepressants do."

black seas (taken for 10 years or more) November 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The month I was on Paxil was the worst month of my life. It made me even more depressed and I just felt an intense numbingness along with severe nausea and when I sleep I absolutely knock out for far too long. It also lead to crazy stomach pain that persisted for months until I took an antibiotic. Not for me or probably any one. Just terrible."

Anonymous October 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I feel like my old self. I have more energy and confidence. I have new hobbies. I am less stressed and more focused. It has changed my life."

80's art girl July 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Seemed to be working only for the first 6 months then it slowly stopped working and I had to go through incredibly hard withdrawal symptoms."

Filip147 June 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had a severe reaction to this medication one first dose including waking in the middle of the night dizzy and disoriented, proceeding to vomit repeatedly, numbness in fingertips and gums, severe chills and then soaking in sweat, and difficulty speaking. Took a trip to the ER. I am sure that it works for some people, but the side effects can be very scary. Make sure someone is aware you took it and keeps an eye on you. It is very unlikely you will have a reaction like I did, but having someone in the know will save you some trouble if you do have a bad reaction."

Panic at the Bathroom (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello, Paxil ruined my life. The first month was great and then is turned horrible, like horrible. If I missed one pill I would get the most horrendous serotonin withdraw, so horrible my fore head would burn, nose would run, I would snap on anyone around me. Then it just turned into that was just how I was, if one tiny thing went wrong I was the most dramatic individual ever, hysterically crying (like rolling around on the floor crying, sweating hyperventilating) over things that weren't even a big deal. It has put so much strain on my relationships I don't think some are repairable. Coming off of them seemed next to impossible,then I switched brands, the pink ones are like poison the white are bearable. Do not take this drug, seriousl"

Lefony (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking 10 mg of Paxil for 3 days but was feeling extremely zombie like. Decided to take 25 mg of Zoloft today. Is this safe?"

Jronan (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this med for 9 yrs after the dearh of my daughter, it changed my life dramatically!! Recently I have lost a brother and my anxiety came back, my doctor has from today increased my dose to 50mg so praying this helps soon? Hope due to my body being used to the 40mg the extra 10mg kicks in fast. It is a mirical tablet!!"

LizzieDee1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have tried many antidepressants. This has been absolutely terrible. Worst side effects I have ever experienced. Feels like I have the flu...very disappointed"

jv2345 February 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This med works great I had a lot of anxiety and hard time dealing with work, kids and my wife. I am totally in control now and can deal with a lot more issues at once...great results"

police officer with family January 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took Paxil for 1 year (at the end was taking 50mg a day) for severe anxiety, OCD and PTSD. It was a life saver. Stopped crying so easily, stopped yelling at my kids, stopped being so moody. After about 6 months I noticed I was not laughing anymore, no sex drive, weight gain. I stayed on it. When I hit the year mark I decided I wanted to get off of it. I told my doctor and she suggested staying on it. Nope. I quit taking it. I took 2 days of 40mg, 2 days of 20 mg, 2 days of 10th and then nothing. 3 days after that I thought I would die. Chills, extreme nausea, sweating, hysterical crying or laughing, Twitching in my arms in legs, weird noises in the back of my head. I thought I was going crazy. Decided to go back on Paxil. 20 mg."

C. Sanchez (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on paxil 40mg for 13 years and decided ( like an idiot ) that I didn't need it anymore, withdrew from the paxil and it was hard!!! 3 months later was in a whirlwind of emotion, anxiety, panic, and fear!!! Didn't leave my house for 4 months!!!! I used to go to the beach to destress all of the time, couldn't even do that! Went to Dr, and he tried me on lexapro, effexor, and prozac, horrible 3 months of my life with all the side effects! Finally decided myself to go back on paxil! Within a months time I'm back to working 2 jobs, my family is more happy, I AM WAY LESS STRESSED, and the anxiety is 3/4 gone!!!! Please if anyone fighting with stress and anxiety or panic take the paxil!!! I did great for me both times"

Hopeful900 January 25, 2016