User Reviews for Celexa

Depression
7.3

Summary of Celexa reviews 7.5 702 reviews

Reviews for Celexa

For Anxiety and Stress "I was on Celexa for 6 years. I recently weaned off the Celexa due to the unpleasant weight gain that I experienced. I wanted to try a different anti-anxiety medication that was less likely to gain weight. I tried a combination of Lexapro and Wellbutrin for awhile and then Zoloft. None of those drugs were able to help ease my mind. I experienced increased anxiety and depression, specially panic attacks. I am hoping to get back on Celexa next week as it was my saving grace for 6 years! My only complaints about Celexa are the weight gain and the headaches that occur if you accidentally miss a dose (as well as the weaning off headaches). Crossing my fingers it works a second time!"

Anonymous October 4, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "This medication completely erased my anxiety but not the depression. I tend to have panic attacks on weekends, I suppose because I have more time to think about things. I work Mon-Fri, and I'm very embarrassed to say the citalopram caused diarrhea. I had to leave work one day because of it. Since I only have panic attacks on weekends, I started taking it on Friday and Saturday only. I am a single mom going through a divorce and recovering from narcissistic abuse. I rated this drug a 10 , because it does work and the side effects are different for everyone."

Girlboss September 23, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I was quite literally so depressed I was having suicidal thoughts, constant panic attacks. I was on Lexapro and it just turned me into a mental mess. I didn't know what to do. My doctor gave me Celexa and Klonopin together and now after 1 month I feel like a different person. The Klonopin is great for the panic attacks. The Celexa has been great so far for my depression and I have OCD as well so this has stopped the hamster wheels in my head. It will work different for everyone but this is my experience. Good luck to all as peace of mind is absolutely everything!"

JJBee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2018

"I started Celexa for anxiety, panic attacks and depression after my 20 yr old son was killed in a car accident. I feel it numbs the tears a bit more than I want while grieving, but I don't cry 12 hours a day. It really helped the anxiety and panic attacks. It didn't do much for my sleeping. Still up all night and only sleep about 4 hours in the morning. I do sweat a lot from it and have bathroom issues. But I can function and walk and get out of bed."

C (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "Celexa worked well for me for about 1.5 years. I think it helped anxiety over depression. However, these past few months, the anxiety has been creeping back and the depression is in full force. I did adjust well when first taking it, even when I bumped up to 20 mg. I think there might be a craving component to it that caused me to keep weight on. Otherwise, it worked OK, but now it's time for something different (I wish I didn't have to change)."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 12, 2018

For Depression "I have been on celexa now for many years. I had almost immediate results. It was after the second dose I felt better. I had been struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts since I was at least 9 year old when I first tried to take my life. I have been in therapy off and on for the last 40 years. I have tried almost every antidepressant drug on the market. Some helped a little, but I still struggled with depression. Since I have been on celexa, I have not been suicidal. I have had some sadness because that is life and I have chronic pain too, but I have had no thoughts of suicide since I started celexa. I took this drug with wellbutrin and became violent because wellbutrin can make you angry with increased doses, so I'm off wellbutrin. Thank God for my introduction to celexa after an intervention from a group of friends and my introduction to my Dr. Thanks it changed my life."

Handywoman (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 5, 2018

For Depression "I deal with Schizoaffective depression and I was on Celexa for years. It was an OK medication for me. What I will give it credit for is it kept me out of the hospital for a number of years. But unfortunately it wasn't the most powerful medication for me and eventually stopped working for me after a number of years. Now I am on Lexapro which is working out much better for me, it is a newer improved version of Celexa basically with fewer side effects."

Coryman616 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 2, 2018

For Depression "Horrible. This medication made my anxiety and depression unbearable and I took myself off over seven days. I still have issues but will never take psychotropic drugs ever again. I'm going to check out holistic meds and see if that will be enough for me. If things aren't working then demand a referral to a specialist. Please be careful this medication made me so sick and so down so glad I'm not taking it anymore."

Ms. T August 29, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I was afraid about taking celexa and because my Christian believe. I pray for a long time and being fighting anxiety for 4 years. Feel relief when I read the Bible and pray. But my doctor advise me to get on celexa. Now 5 weeks I feel a lot better feel in control. And side effects minimum. All gone feel like I’m alive once again. Sometimes your mind makes you think the medicine is not working but you have to help yourself feel better. "

Wicho (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I just got prescribed this med Thursday and took it Thursday night. Had me up all night. Next day had a never ending light headache and repeated bowel movements and nausea. But I will say I had a productive day at work with no anxiety. My symptoms prior were raced heart rate, over emotional, shortness of breath with stress and worry...still having the heart racing on day 3 and will see how this goes"

Pink (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "So I am on day 2 of celexa. I originally started four days ago at night thinking I would be drowsy but instead it kinda kept me up. So I switched to mornings. So yesterday was day 1, in the am. And my day I did feel like I was sad and lonely, chemically buzzed but I could still do things. I had anxiety about being alone with my two boys. But as the day progressed and I reached 5pm, I decided that maybe I should work out. Maybe it would help the side effects. It was the best workout ever!! I didn’t noticed my heart pounding, I didn’t have fast labored breathing and my legs didn’t feel wobbly after being on the treadmill. I woke up non drowsy and took my second pill. So here I am an hour in. I’ll post in a few days since I really can’t find a thread of the beginning days of this medication. I haven’t had a headache or nausea but sometimes I have to force my self to eat. And I do get like waves of brain lightheaded that lasts a second."

Michelle August 4, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "For many years I suffered from really bad anxiety and panic disorder. I've tried every natural medication possible and I finally gave in and tried Celexa. It has been really amazing for me. It had a fairly mild side effects but nothing horrible like I was expecting. I can go out in public and my panic attacks have been almost non-existent since taking it for the last two and a half months. Please give it a try I wish I would have started sooner. I have also lost a lot of weight on it but it could be because I'm feeling better and I'm being more active and eating better"

Knighter July 13, 2018

For Depression "I have been on 20 mg of citalopram for 2 years. Just recently increased to 40 mg 6 months ago. The medication does help tremendously but I am thinking of possibly adding Wellbutrin to get my sex drive back and more energy. Ever since increasing to 40 mg I am really hungry all of the time & blah. I still feel blue :( just my personal experience, maybe my brain has had enough of SSRI’s. Don’t be afraid of trying this medication though because it really does help when you’re in a dark place. Good luck please stay in close touch with your doctors through the process and if they aren’t helping then switch. Good luck xo"

Nicole (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on 20mg of Celexa since 2012. Celexa works great for anxiety & stress. I have NOT lost my temper from being stressed out for 6 years. I like most people think I am feeling better and have tried to wean myself off Celexa 3 times in the past 6 years but I never make it past 2 weeks before I start having meltdowns. I realized each time I tried to quit taking it afterwards I could not handle all the kids being kids. So I have decided I will have to be on Celexa for the rest of my life. I have not had a moment where I lost my cool with my children in 6 years. I am not saying I harmed my children previously I was just horrible with my mouth towards my children. So if you are reading this and you have similar meltdowns from to much coming at you at once trust me you need Celexa I am proof it works!"

gnmandy (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 7, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "*UPDATE*December 19, 2017 I have now completely have gotten off of celexa after a year and feel great. I took 2 months to ween off of my 20mg dose. Celexa helped me with all of my issues: Extreme lack of focus, panic attacks, not being able to hold conversations, de-personalization, had to quit my job... But enough of that, ultimately this medication was the biggest roller coaster ride I've ever been on (for the first 6 weeks) but am so happy I decided to go on it. For me Celexa muted all of my anxious feelings and allowed me to regain who I was and gain all of my confidence back. So anyways I thought I would share my final review of this drug and for anyone trying to get through a bout of anxiety that is so bad it destroys their entire life, there is hope! It's hard as anything but I wouldn't of done anything different. Good luck everyone! BTW I was on it from June 16 2017 to June 27 2018. The "it gets worse before it gets better" part was over after about 4-6 weeks."

JoeTurner July 2, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on Celexa for almost two months now. I was weary about starting this medication because of the reviews. The initial side affects are rough. I couldn’t sleep, eat or talk to anyone really. I had very bad twitching and heightened anxiety. About two weeks after starting it I finally noticed a difference. Two months later, (now) I am very happy and don’t have much anxiety. Keep in mind it has to get worse to get better (starting the medication)."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2018

For Depression "I found Celexa to be very helpful. I experienced virtually no physical side effects. As far as psychological, I found that it caused me to be a bit colder and more rational minded, rather than feelings oriented. That had its positives and it’s negatives. I also found while I was on it, I was less creative- though I’m not really sure if that was the Celexa or the aftermath of the depression. I will say: DO NOT go off this cold turkey. I attempted this because I was feeling better. It affected me with physical symptoms and emotional. Google for the typical symptoms. It was extremely unpleasant."

BriannaB (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 27, 2018

For Depression "I am 24 yr old female. I was on Celexa for my depression, for two weeks. After the first dose, I began to have severe hallucinations, mostly in the evening, in dark rooms with no direct light, and when I closed my eyes. Everything became checkered, usually the walls. They would move in waves and I also started seeing shadowy figures. It was very overwhelming and scary. This was the first medication I was prescribed for my depression, so I thought this was normal and would settle down after some time, so I continued to take it. After those first two weeks my hallucinations and paranoia had gotten so bad that I finally called my doctor and she had me stop taking Celexa immediately."

VPA (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I was on Citalopram for 10 years. In university I started showing signs of anxiety, and my doctor told me Celexa would get rid of the physical symptoms. It worked. However a few years later when I tried to come off it, I failed. So on the medication I actually developed depression, and social anxiety, and my anxiety in general got worse. Recently I decided to stop taking it. I took myself down half a dose each day for one week, and then every other day the second week. And I feel amazing! Aside from a few mild withdrawal symptoms I’m feeling better! As a result of Celexa, I spent 10 years of my life a prisoner to this medication. I was always depressed, always afraid, I stayed so deep within myself I missed out on friendships, career opportunities, and happiness altogether. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone! Get actual help for your anxiety, a pill is merely a bandaid that will cause you more harm than good in the long run."

Casey June 14, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I took Celexa for about a year. It did work on anxiety however I ended up tapering off and stopping completely because I was noticing that I was having these memory issues. I would be in the middle of a sentence or thought and everything would just drop - I would have to stop, regroup my thoughts and try to remember what I wanted to say and could not. This was not only scary to me but I was becoming very embarrassed and conscious of this weird memory side effect . The second issue was sleep. My sleep would be almost robotic if that makes sense. I would wake each morning at a certain time and be unable to go back to sleep. It felt like I had not deeply slept during the night and I could feel it upon waking - not necessarily sleepy but rev'd up and unable to sleep in/sleep any further."

didi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I took Celexa 6 years ago and took it for a year or two and got off it. I started taking it after withdrawal and severe anxiety. I do not remember the side effects being so severe. Now I am super lethargic, feel some depression (I haven't felt depressed for a while before taking the meds). So I'm not sure where I stand right now. Want to keep taking it but if these side effects keep going I will be forced to quit."

Nikku (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

For Depression "I have never left a review of a medication, and as a clinical provider, I am arguably THE WORST patient EVER! After a major MVA, I suffered several injuries, and was in constant pain for almost two years. The pain and inability to move due to a spinal injury caused me to fall into a deep depression. I'd suffered with anxiety most of my life, but found alternative methods of coping. I typically make 15k or better steps a night during my ER shifts, so to suddenly be unable to move, I was floored! My neurologist recommended I try an SSRI (Celexa) temporarily to help with my being depressed, and I reluctantly agreed. I was adamant about not taking SSRI's as I don't like anything fooling around in my brain. But it worked. I had minimal side effects, and even they eventually subsided within the first month of use. Thankfully, I no longer require the use of any SSRI, as I am two years post the accident, but I am grateful that it was available to me when I needed it."

DocMed May 16, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "Helped my stress level post partun. Took while breastfeeding. Baby was fine."

Rsl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been taking celexa 20mg for 6 1/2 months. I am currently tapering off this medication from 20mg to 10mg for 3 weeks, then 5mg for 3weeks. I am currently on my second week of 5mg, one week left. The withdrawal symptoms are horrible and can intensify the feeling of depression and anxiety. I informed my doctor and he stated the withdrawal symptoms will diminish on their own after a few weeks. I decide to increase my exercise, increase my water intake, eating healthy, sleep. I continue with progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing exercise, meditation and talking with my therapist. I RECOMMEND IT, to anyone dealing with anxiety/depression. When you first start taking this medication it takes about six week and the side effects are horrible, when you are tapering off the withdrawal symptoms are horriblet. This is my 3rd review of this medication. 1st was 12/26/2017 under anxiety/stress. 2rd 3/22/2018 under depression. Look for feel relief. I hope this review helps someone."

feel Relief May 9, 2018

For Depression "I am taking Citalopram at 2.5 mg. Very low dose as high doses can send me to a psychiatric ward. I have a very sensitive system. It has worked very well for me at that dose. This medication has helped me continue to work and live life. Side effects: spacey, slow thoughts, feeling of “high”, sweaty palms, equilibrium off a bit due to feeling “high”. Someone here said that healthy eating and exercise will solve all depression and anxiety problems. That is not true. I practice healthy eating, go to therapy and exercise daily yet it has not solved depression issues. Some here have experienced terrible issues with this medication. 10mg to start off with is not for everyone. I am disappointed that the medication doesn’t offer 1mg for us who are highly sensitive. The overdosing that happens more often than not, is an issue. Listen to your body it will tell you how it’s reacting to the dosage. Thank you for reading."

Tulip May 6, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...