User Reviews for Celexa

Depression
7.3

Summary of Celexa reviews 7.5 692 reviews

Reviews for Celexa

For Anxiety and Stress "For many years I suffered from really bad anxiety and panic disorder. I've tried every natural medication possible and I finally gave in and tried Celexa. It has been really amazing for me. It had a fairly mild side effects but nothing horrible like I was expecting. I can go out in public and my panic attacks have been almost non-existent since taking it for the last two and a half months. Please give it a try I wish I would have started sooner. I have also lost a lot of weight on it but it could be because I'm feeling better and I'm being more active and eating better"

Knighter July 13, 2018

For Depression "I have been on 20 mg of citalopram for 2 years. Just recently increased to 40 mg 6 months ago. The medication does help tremendously but I am thinking of possibly adding Wellbutrin to get my sex drive back and more energy. Ever since increasing to 40 mg I am really hungry all of the time & blah. I still feel blue :( just my personal experience, maybe my brain has had enough of SSRI’s. Don’t be afraid of trying this medication though because it really does help when you’re in a dark place. Good luck please stay in close touch with your doctors through the process and if they aren’t helping then switch. Good luck xo"

Nicole (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on 20mg of Celexa since 2012. Celexa works great for anxiety & stress. I have NOT lost my temper from being stressed out for 6 years. I like most people think I am feeling better and have tried to wean myself off Celexa 3 times in the past 6 years but I never make it past 2 weeks before I start having meltdowns. I realized each time I tried to quit taking it afterwards I could not handle all the kids being kids. So I have decided I will have to be on Celexa for the rest of my life. I have not had a moment where I lost my cool with my children in 6 years. I am not saying I harmed my children previously I was just horrible with my mouth towards my children. So if you are reading this and you have similar meltdowns from to much coming at you at once trust me you need Celexa I am proof it works!"

gnmandy (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 7, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "*UPDATE*December 19, 2017 I have now completely have gotten off of celexa after a year and feel great. I took 2 months to ween off of my 20mg dose. Celexa helped me with all of my issues: Extreme lack of focus, panic attacks, not being able to hold conversations, de-personalization, had to quit my job... But enough of that, ultimately this medication was the biggest roller coaster ride I've ever been on (for the first 6 weeks) but am so happy I decided to go on it. For me Celexa muted all of my anxious feelings and allowed me to regain who I was and gain all of my confidence back. So anyways I thought I would share my final review of this drug and for anyone trying to get through a bout of anxiety that is so bad it destroys their entire life, there is hope! It's hard as anything but I wouldn't of done anything different. Good luck everyone! BTW I was on it from June 16 2017 to June 27 2018. The "it gets worse before it gets better" part was over after about 4-6 weeks."

JoeTurner July 2, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on Celexa for almost two months now. I was weary about starting this medication because of the reviews. The initial side affects are rough. I couldn’t sleep, eat or talk to anyone really. I had very bad twitching and heightened anxiety. About two weeks after starting it I finally noticed a difference. Two months later, (now) I am very happy and don’t have much anxiety. Keep in mind it has to get worse to get better (starting the medication)."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2018

For Depression "I found Celexa to be very helpful. I experienced virtually no physical side effects. As far as psychological, I found that it caused me to be a bit colder and more rational minded, rather than feelings oriented. That had its positives and it’s negatives. I also found while I was on it, I was less creative- though I’m not really sure if that was the Celexa or the aftermath of the depression. I will say: DO NOT go off this cold turkey. I attempted this because I was feeling better. It affected me with physical symptoms and emotional. Google for the typical symptoms. It was extremely unpleasant."

BriannaB (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 27, 2018

For Depression "I am 24 yr old female. I was on Celexa for my depression, for two weeks. After the first dose, I began to have severe hallucinations, mostly in the evening, in dark rooms with no direct light, and when I closed my eyes. Everything became checkered, usually the walls. They would move in waves and I also started seeing shadowy figures. It was very overwhelming and scary. This was the first medication I was prescribed for my depression, so I thought this was normal and would settle down after some time, so I continued to take it. After those first two weeks my hallucinations and paranoia had gotten so bad that I finally called my doctor and she had me stop taking Celexa immediately."

VPA (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I was on Citalopram for 10 years. In university I started showing signs of anxiety, and my doctor told me Celexa would get rid of the physical symptoms. It worked. However a few years later when I tried to come off it, I failed. So on the medication I actually developed depression, and social anxiety, and my anxiety in general got worse. Recently I decided to stop taking it. I took myself down half a dose each day for one week, and then every other day the second week. And I feel amazing! Aside from a few mild withdrawal symptoms I’m feeling better! As a result of Celexa, I spent 10 years of my life a prisoner to this medication. I was always depressed, always afraid, I stayed so deep within myself I missed out on friendships, career opportunities, and happiness altogether. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone! Get actual help for your anxiety, a pill is merely a bandaid that will cause you more harm than good in the long run."

Casey June 14, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I took Celexa for about a year. It did work on anxiety however I ended up tapering off and stopping completely because I was noticing that I was having these memory issues. I would be in the middle of a sentence or thought and everything would just drop - I would have to stop, regroup my thoughts and try to remember what I wanted to say and could not. This was not only scary to me but I was becoming very embarrassed and conscious of this weird memory side effect . The second issue was sleep. My sleep would be almost robotic if that makes sense. I would wake each morning at a certain time and be unable to go back to sleep. It felt like I had not deeply slept during the night and I could feel it upon waking - not necessarily sleepy but rev'd up and unable to sleep in/sleep any further."

didi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I took Celexa 6 years ago and took it for a year or two and got off it. I started taking it after withdrawal and severe anxiety. I do not remember the side effects being so severe. Now I am super lethargic, feel some depression (I haven't felt depressed for a while before taking the meds). So I'm not sure where I stand right now. Want to keep taking it but if these side effects keep going I will be forced to quit."

Nikku (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2018

For Depression "I have never left a review of a medication, and as a clinical provider, I am arguably THE WORST patient EVER! After a major MVA, I suffered several injuries, and was in constant pain for almost two years. The pain and inability to move due to a spinal injury caused me to fall into a deep depression. I'd suffered with anxiety most of my life, but found alternative methods of coping. I typically make 15k or better steps a night during my ER shifts, so to suddenly be unable to move, I was floored! My neurologist recommended I try an SSRI (Celexa) temporarily to help with my being depressed, and I reluctantly agreed. I was adamant about not taking SSRI's as I don't like anything fooling around in my brain. But it worked. I had minimal side effects, and even they eventually subsided within the first month of use. Thankfully, I no longer require the use of any SSRI, as I am two years post the accident, but I am grateful that it was available to me when I needed it."

DocMed May 16, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "Helped my stress level post partun. Took while breastfeeding. Baby was fine."

Rsl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been taking celexa 20mg for 6 1/2 months. I am currently tapering off this medication from 20mg to 10mg for 3 weeks, then 5mg for 3weeks. I am currently on my second week of 5mg, one week left. The withdrawal symptoms are horrible and can intensify the feeling of depression and anxiety. I informed my doctor and he stated the withdrawal symptoms will diminish on their own after a few weeks. I decide to increase my exercise, increase my water intake, eating healthy, sleep. I continue with progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing exercise, meditation and talking with my therapist. I RECOMMEND IT, to anyone dealing with anxiety/depression. When you first start taking this medication it takes about six week and the side effects are horrible, when you are tapering off the withdrawal symptoms are horriblet. This is my 3rd review of this medication. 1st was 12/26/2017 under anxiety/stress. 2rd 3/22/2018 under depression. Look for feel relief. I hope this review helps someone."

feel Relief May 9, 2018

For Depression "I am taking Citalopram at 2.5 mg. Very low dose as high doses can send me to a psychiatric ward. I have a very sensitive system. It has worked very well for me at that dose. This medication has helped me continue to work and live life. Side effects: spacey, slow thoughts, feeling of “high”, sweaty palms, equilibrium off a bit due to feeling “high”. Someone here said that healthy eating and exercise will solve all depression and anxiety problems. That is not true. I practice healthy eating, go to therapy and exercise daily yet it has not solved depression issues. Some here have experienced terrible issues with this medication. 10mg to start off with is not for everyone. I am disappointed that the medication doesn’t offer 1mg for us who are highly sensitive. The overdosing that happens more often than not, is an issue. Listen to your body it will tell you how it’s reacting to the dosage. Thank you for reading."

Tulip May 6, 2018

For Depression "This medication was extremely dangerous for me. When I began taking it I started to sweat profusely, I had a terrible headache, I was nauseous and shaking uncontrollably. Luckily, I was at an impatient facility. The psychiatrist immediately stoped the medication and told me I was suffering from Seretonin overdose AKA Seretonin syndrome which can be deadly. I was so pale I started to turn grey. Once the medication was out of my system it took about a week to feel better. "

Bipolar18 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I started on the generic brand around Christmas time of 2017, as Christmas is a time of socialization and stress! I have a lot of social anxiety and depression. So bad that it put my relationship on the line. I figured it was time to visit my (fantastic) doctor! I was put on 10mg a day for 6 weeks and did not see much of a difference. I was then bumped up to 20mg a day and I am a new person! My mood is improved, I can start a conversation with a stranger, and my anxiety is gone! The side effects I have are minimal compared to the pro's of the medication. I have increased sweating, which mainly contains itself to my fingertips, so it's not bad! My brain is a little foggy all the time, and I have decreased sex drive. Not too bad for the cons of Citalopram! I highly recommend this life changing medication!"

NovB (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "This medication helped with my anxiety and rolling panic attacks. At the time I tried to stay on the medication and was monitored by a psychiatrist weekly. It helped my panic attacks stay at a 2/10 severity. It also helped me sleep; but then I was sleeping 16h a day. I started having auditory hallucinations and immediately went to visit my psychiatrist. She said it was normal, and not to be worried. Well I stayed on it for a total of 5-6 weeks and ended up suicidal. As soon as I was admitted to the psychiatric unit and taken off this drug the hallucinations stopped. Would never every in a million years recommend this to anyone unless you are monitored very closely."

Krystina (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I take Celexa for stress, anxiety and depression...it's amazing. I feel normal, functional and my thoughts are not erratic or chaotic. It has made dealing with stress extremely easy and depressive thoughts are gone."

Tansi81 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 3, 2018

For Depression "This med work pretty good for depression and anxiety. However I gained over 25 pounds in 4 months and stopped taking it due to massive weight gain."

Mickey (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "After 16 years of a great marriage (I thought and all our family and friends did) 3 kids. My wife decided to separate? We have NO FAMILY or true friends in the state we live in. So off guard and practically felt homeless. After so many months of trying to "man up ." I told myself "You need help!" I was not in a good place, but covered it and still covering it up well. Just started Celexa only a couple days now. Really looking forward to getting back to myself. Will give my update as time goes. Thanks for everyone's experience!"

CLG SR February 19, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "The only thing worse than my experience on Celexa was my experience getting off it. I had brain zaps every morning for 8 months, zaps that would only go away if I went back to sleep and essentially gave in to "oversleeping." Its now 1 year later and I still feel the withdrawal side effects. Taking this medication is one of the worst mistakes of my life."

Kevin12 February 4, 2018

For Depression "Just another Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. At least they don't make me sick. 40 mg at bed time. I have tried all the other ones, and have had some bad side effects. I don't think it does anything ,but my doc thinks for sure if I stop taking it I would feel worse. If he would get my records from mental health from about 25 years ago he would see I was taking 60mg for about six months, with no effect. I feel I am just another payday every 3 months to him."

Jim Beam works,Bad side effect February 3, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I don't typically review medicines but I feel compelled to after taking one 10mg dose of celexa. I've had mild anxiety on and off most of my life. Due to some events in my life approx 2 years ago (anxiety) has gotten worse. I still tried to deal with it naturally, finally I broke down in Dec and got a script from my Dr for 10mg celexa. I held off taking it until 2 nights ago. I NEVER will take celexa again. I had loose stools almost 1 hour after taking it. The next 30 hours were hard, I could not sleep I had a racing heart and then I had a panic attack at work. Fortunately it has worked it's way thru my system and feel "normal" again. It may work for some but this is not for me. To be fair maybe I'm just not a good candidate for an SSRI med."

Master2018 January 24, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "Helped me for about 6-7 years. Wouldn’t recommend for anyone new. Felt like a complete zombie, tired all the time, couldn’t remember much, couldn’t really focus on much, and complete loss of sex drive. (I’m a 21 year old male, so having to explain to some girls why I couldn’t do it was pretty embarrassing). Works good for the anxiety part but in my opinion I’d try something else first. Also, Celexa recently stopped working and tapering off is quite difficult. (Brain zaps, twitches, etc...)."

Craigslong (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress "I never leave feedback..but this was the most horrible feeling I have ever felt in my life. I couldn't sleep from 1 dose. Was wide awake for 3 days straight. Had a ton of energy, but it made me feel crazy. Upset stomach, nausea, headache, jitters, jaw clinching the entire time and the list keeps going. Then when the medicine was coming out of my system I couldn't stop crying. It's horrible...For me anyways. I'm kinda scared to try another antidepressant. Are they all like this?"

Djcain (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2018