User Reviews for Celexa

Depression 301 reviews 79 medications

7.3
Summary of Celexa reviews 628 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Celexa

For Anxiety and Stress "I never review anything, but this I had to review!! This stuff has basically given me my life back! Before I started taking this I had severe depression issues, high anxiety and stress, and a touch of PTSD. Since taking this stuff all of that has faded especially anxiety and stress. This stuff is a blessing! I take 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg in the evening. Took it about two weeks or so to kick in, but once it did my god it was incredible!! I still get depressed, but it's nowhere near as bad as it use to be. As far as side effects go, I haven't had any!! They must be very rare. Would recommend this to anyone! I am a riverboat pilot, so if any offshore or towboat pilots are looking into trying this---it IS a coast guard approved med. "

Beacon Beckman! May 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "This drug used to do wonders. I went on it because one antidepressant wasn't enough to get me out of bed and moving. It lifted me up and gave me the motivation to be able to take care of my daily living needs and hold a stable job. The side effect that causes them to take me off of it was because it was making me manic (as I am bipolar) and it caused me to make quick, risky, and ill-advised life decisions. Taking me off the drug has effectively stopped the quick life decision side effect, and after getting off of it, I've been able to think more clearly, be more mindful of my movement and thought-processes, and gave me a general feeling of wellness. The negative of getting off of it, however, is that I lost my ability to sleep well."

Non-Professional Patient (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on generic celexa for about two weeks now. I was searching for something to help me with deteriorating anxiety. I had no idea it would also make me less irrational, and nicer. I don't get upset over everything now. I feel confident and myself again. Lots of side effects though. Currently have a hollow feeling at all times, very spaced out, memory loss, cannot orgasm, insomnia, unable to tell when I am hungry, and since I have upped my dose to 20mg I also clench my jaw often. For me the good out weighs the bad though. I am just happy to not be feeling so manic nonstop"

Air321 May 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "Although the induction period is rough and can last multiple weeks this medication works well for me. I've been on mylan citalopram for 3 months and just switched to name brand with no noticeable difference. I am more easy going, positive, sociable and have a sense of well being that was lacking and as a result debilitating me before this medication. So far so good, I am also on Wellbutrin which I only started 2 weeks ago after abilify triggered me in negative ways. I get through my incredibly physical days of construction and renovation with emotional ease."

Radia75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "Sucked. Didn't do anything for me."

hereticanthem May 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "Other than feeling sedated and lower than normal blood pressure/heart rate for a while, it affects my memory, vision (one pupil dialated and the other one was smaller)..shakes like it's making anxiety worse. I don't like it."

fortuna1 April 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "Citalopram has been a life saver for me. I've gone on and off of it over the past 5-6 years, but I've currently been on it for a year straight and it's seriously helped me so much. I have awful, debilitating anxiety. Citalopram has really helped. I still have anxiety, but it is so much more manageable and I'm able to get through the anxiety attacks so much easier and faster than when I'm not on the medication. The only issue is that it has caused severe TMJ for me. It causes me to grind and clench my teeth really bad. I'd honestly rather have TMJ than crippling anxiety, though. I've been on 20 mg for the past year, but was on 40 mg 5 years ago."

CarolynW662255555 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I went on Celexa after three years of getting more and more depressed and my anxiety beginning to make it difficult to be at social events or function from day to day. I gave in to Celexa after hitting a low that I cannot explain. I couldn't get out of bed and I determined my life was worthless. I started on 10mg. The first two weeks were bizarre. Headaches, nausea and diarrhea. The anxiety seemed worse. But after 3-4 weeks it's like an ugly cloud lifted and I feel like I have my life back. I upped it to 20mg and I'm staying at 20mg. I never worry about anything - which seems nuts. How can I not worry? I'm unemployed, single, no kids, (I'm 48) yet I feel like everything is okay, and I can move forward on achieving my goals."

Zigzag55 April 13, 2017

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Citalopram works great for me. I've been on and off of it for about 5 years. When I was on it several years ago it was like night and day. I have major depression and general anxiety. When going back on it most recently (4 months ago), I started at 20mg for the first month. The first dose helped my anxiety immensely. Within a few weeks my depression lifted some. I'm now on 40mg again and it is definitely helping, but I feel like in the past it worked better for the depression. So Today I've started 5mg Abilify in addition; hoping it will help some more."

Cariabcd (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 30, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I tried this medication for anxiety held in there for 5 months at 20mg/day. I went into a full depression, was a zombie with no motivation to do anything at all. The exhaustion was terrible, sleeping 12hrs at night with needing naps during the day. I did notice I wasn't shaky when dealing with people but my view on the world was so bleak and I didn't want to do anything. I'd rather be shaky from my anxiety and have energy and want to be part of the world then what I went through on this medication. Just awful...within 5 days of weening myself off of it, I had my energy back, and felt positive again"

Ladybird6 March 22, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "Started on 5 mg Celexa about 7 months ago. Works great to take away most of my anxiety and irritability, still comes around sometime but on more normal means instead of every single day like I was miserable before I started on Celexa. Took a couple weeks to adjust to it and my orgasms are few and hard to achieve, but still possible, unlike other meds I've been on in the past. I love everything about Celexa, and would have given it a 10/10... however, I've gained 15 pounds since I started taking it. My diet and activity level has not changed so I'm assuming Celexa is to blame. This is now causing depression from the weight gain and the inability to keep it off... If you start Celexa, start exercising regularly to help maintain, wish I had..."

MoonlightX01 March 5, 2017

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "Citalopram calms my mind and body. Without it I am very aggressive and too active sexually. Without it I feel as if my testosterone levels were too high. My wife and I have notice that even my testicles are bigger without Citalopram and that there seems to be a higher blood flow to my penis; it was the experience of a constant state of arousal. Psychologically, without it, I experienced lots of anger, aggressivity, sexual energy, and just a general out of control level of mental energy. We have both concluded that somehow Citalopram reduces my testosterone levels. And, let me tell you, I'm happy about it. I rather feel calm and centered than aggressive, angry, and freaking horny all the time. So, Citalopram is vital in my life."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (comorbid to my ADHD) back in 2012, and had since been to CBT and was prescribed with multiple antidepressants for it since. However both these medications (Strattera & Zoloft) caused chronic fatigue that led me to stop the medication. Enter Celexa, prescribed end of 2016, I was at the time suffering from the regular hypochondria and other obsessions. I was apprehensive of the expected side effects but I am glad to report that to this day side effects are minimal. Yes, I have noticed a small difference in my working memory (decrease) and dreams (very vivid), but I believe the pros greatly outweigh the cons! Celexa has helped me feel normal again and empowered me, and would recommend 100%"

AlexAloe February 27, 2017

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I thought they were rubbish"

jgjknewjgbjwhgbewrhjt (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "About 7 years ago I started having really bad anxiety while in college, it got to the point where I had to drop out and move back home. I was outgoing, social, confident, and then all of a sudden BOOM! I couldn't function at all and was convinced I was losing my mind. After trying the natural route for about 6 months I decided I needed a little extra help and that's when I decided to try an antidepressant. It took about 2 or 3 months for me to notice a difference but it was well worth the wait! I was back to my old self again and it felt awesome! Unfortunatly, I stopped taking it a couple of years ago and my anxiety has recently come back so now I am trying it again and am hoping it works as well as it did before."

Worked Great (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2017

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Got this as a prescription from my doctor, after spending endless hour doing research on this medication I decided to give it a try. I was on celexa for almost 5 months. During this time I felt like a cloud has over my head the whole time, my brain did not function and I felt like life was absolutely unbearable. Might work for some people but It did more harm than good while I was on it. Had to stop. I've found that what got me my life back was an alternate method that came as a lifesaver for me that didn't involve medication. It involves steps to being more motivated and accomplishing things daily. http://happylifeengine.com/archives/30 I am back to being me and I feel hopeful about the future. I just needed ti be shown how to get my life back on track. Hope you all get your life back as I did . "

Not a good experience (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "Update from my post a few weeks ago: I have been on Celexa now for about a month and have increased my dosage of Celexa to 20 mg. I feel like I can concur the world again! The night sweats have passed and I am calm and collected now. My thoughts are not focused around worry anymore and I can rationalize every day challenges again. Celexa has changed my life!"

CindyRella1224 (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2017

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I got prescribed this medication for mild anxiety & minor depression. I usually get overwhelmed by things that should feel not so worrisome, & replay things that irritate or upset me over & over in my head. I've been on a light dose of Celexa for about a week now. I take it at night & don't have trouble sleeping. I will say right when it hits 645 - 7am I wake up & am immediately wide awake though. I have definitely noticed a positive change. Not a huge one, but just enough to make me feel more "normal". I can be a bit of a drag sometimes, & just not my peppy self that I know is hiding in me. This has made me feel much more of a positive peppy "good parts of myself" come out more & I can manage my stress better & lighter than I was before."

AEsp February 17, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I love Celexa. I have anxiety and it was really starting to effect my performance in college. I started Celexa (10mg) and the first 2 weeks were miserable! I was seriously depressed but after that two week adjustment phase it worked wonderfully! I could feel a tangible difference overnight! I love it but I would warn that the adjustment phase is brutal."

pacea February 14, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I'm on the generic version Citolopram. First 10mg for 7 days then up'd to 20mg. Now on that for little over 4 weeks. Still feel blah. I've been switching when I take it to see if it helps sleep. Well apparently you need to take at night! It's cousin to lexapro. I just took my 20mg at 9a.m.(to see) an its 2 hrs later an I'm very sleepy. I'm giving it 6 wks . I'm on med #7. I hope this works. Not many left for me to try. Not much side effects with Celexa. Occasional anxiety but I also have Klonapine when needed. So going back to take at night. I am having night sweats occasionally also but lethargy during day."

Zio10 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "This medicine seemed to be helping with my anxiety somewhat, but I had to stop taking it because it was making me extremely forgetful! I would forget simple things, like my daughter had to go to school, what I had for lunch, just things you shouldn't forget. I felt in a fog..was very strange. I'm currently looking for another medication to help with my anxiety and depression, so far no luck :("

AmberLP February 11, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "Coming onto this medication at first I didn't notice anything in particular. I was on the train and I just noticed that my disoriented thoughts and feeling super nervous calmed quite a bit. I did notice I didn't talk as much as I did before I started the medication. It helpsx with my depersonalization. But at the same time it adds fuel to my underlying depression that I had in the past. At the same time I believe that's a good thing. Because it's helping me heal hidden broken parts of myself. It especially helps when talking to my therapist about my past. I hate how tired I am, as I am typing this I think I yawned at least 8 times. Delayed orgasms suck as well...but sometimes I take a day off from taking one pill so it's okay."

brittneywins (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "this made me very weak and made my panic attacks worse. I had almost all side effects including weight loss as I'm already a thin person so I binned it after a few days. I went to my doctor and suggested zoloft instead and it had NO side effects and that helped my panic attacks go."

Blade Runner (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "My mother is 100 1/2 years old and has been living in a nursing home for the past 10 years. Last year she developed severe anxiety (not really depression), fearful of almost everything around her. Totally irrational. At the request of the family, the nursing home put her on 20 mg Celexa and her mood turned around almost immediately with no side effects. She was cheerful again and was willing to take life as it came her way. To see if she could function on a lower dose, about a month ago they dropped her dose to 10 mg and the anxiety returned. Today her dose was brought back up to 20 mg, and we are anticipating a return to her non-anxious self."

Dr BobR February 3, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I have severe anxiety at work and suffer from OCD. It got to the point where I was having chest pains, shortness of breath, and panic attacks at work. I have taken Xanax occasionally and it seems to help, but only temporarily. I am not a "pill popper" and was very disagreeable when my DR suggested I take a SSRI. I reluctantly agreed to take Celexa as I was in fear of loosing my job. I have been taking 10 mg for two weeks now and I am already seeing a difference. I do not feel anxious or panicky as much and I am able to think with a clear head. I do not seem to worry either. The only side effect so far is hot flashes at night. Celexa has changed my life!"

CindyRella1224 February 2, 2017