User Reviews for Celexa

Depression 314 reviews 79 medications

7.3
Summary of Celexa reviews 656 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Celexa

For Depression "This is the only antidepressant I have ever taken (and I've tried a lot of them) that has not given me anxiety and jitters. It is too bad the doses don't go up very high and it could work a little better with anxiety than it does but for an antidepressant it is the only one I can tolerate for extended periods of time. So thankful for it. Because I am an addict I can't take benzos and this keeps anxiety under control with a PRN hydroxyzine when it happens anyway."

noreshii October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I am on my second round of celexa. I took it many years ago for a few years, only 10mg a day. It definitely worked but after a few years I decided to get off it. You need to ween yourself off it very slowly if you’ve taken it for a long time. I experienced voices and hallucinations the first couple days going off it completely after I thought I had weened myself enough so I had to ween myself for another month. I had never had symptoms like that in my life. However, I got off of it. Now my depression and anxiety came back for quite a bit so I went back on celexa 20 mg and it is definitely helping. My recommendation is to avoid a lot of caffeine while on this drug or you will notice anxiety increases more so than when you’re not on celexa."

BBCC October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Sure just take a pill and your life is going to be good. I went to the doctor for sleep and said I was stressed, so they give me an antidepressant. People don't realize this stuff changes your brain and is bad for you. You just need exercise and good nutrition and it will change your life (I think). I'm only going to try it for two weeks just to feel what people are saying they feel. The doctor should have given me xanax or something simaliar. I've seen some antidepressants do some bad nasty things to people. Not to mention these side effects they cause."

christru22 September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Works great for my general anxiety. I felt like I was trapped in my own body. Couldn't breathe regular, fidgety, brain racing nonstop, chest pain, couldn't sleep, had to run up and down stairs to relax. After 2 months I started to feel a difference. Takes the edge off is all. Doesn't change my mood, doesn't make me sleepy. Only side effect I have is sometimes an hour or so after taking stomach is a little upset....minor tradeoff for being anxiety free. Changed my life. If you are living under a constant cloud of anxiety, please consider this medication. It takes a while to really start working, but for me it has been a saviour."

AnxietyFree September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was prescribed this a few week's ago but had to stop taking it. I currently take Seroquel (Quetiapine) 100 mg, and was not sure why the Psychiatrist would prescribe the Celexa (Citalopram) as I had been informed by a pharmacist that combining Seroquel and Celexa is dangerous and could possibly cause heart problems. There is a MAJOR drug interaction between those two meds, as that would explain why my chest was hurting and my depression actually got way worse, I also didn't have an appetite at ALL while on the Celexa so I had to just stop taking it. Horrible drug."

Jennifer0121 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Worst experience of my life on this drug. Extreme insomnia, even taking an Ambien would not get me to sleep. If I did get a little sleep it was not restful, felt awake. Could not remember what happened 5 minutes ago. Short term memory gone. Could not eat, I would try but could barely swallow and food would fall out of my mouth, especially carbs like bread. Major muscle twitching, extreme sweating especially in inappropriate places like my groin so then I had even more anxiety feeling like I looked like I wet my pants. Headaches. This happened on a low dose taking it 3-4 weeks. Once stopping Celexa It took me 3-4 months to feel normal again, however I also feel this drug did some permanent damage to my brain."

Not ever again September 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "TOOK 8 weeks for 20mg to finally work. I had every side effect there was and was about to give up. Heightened Anxiety, Insomnia, nervous and anxious. Dry mouth, tremors in my hands. I was so ready to just check myself in a mental ward. But I hung in there and right at week 8. BOOM all of it gone. Feeling great"

Cjene September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Living with a depressed husband and my parents passing within 16 months of each other threw me into two years of depression. When I finally sought help, my doctor put me on generic Celexa. Within a month, I felt a lot better; however, I was nauseous and woke up at 3am for the first 3 months. I'm glad I stuck it out because after that, I was fine for about 2 years when it stopped working. Over the past 3 years I have tried 3 other anti depressants but nothing has worked or they increased my blood pressure so my doctor suggested trying Celexa again. I'm hoping I won't have the side effects this time but feel they are worth it for two years of normal living."

Lee In Pinetop (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Vivid dreams/nightmares alternating with insomnia. Jaw clenching, teeth grinding at night. IBS like symptoms. Short term memory loss was the most disturbing. I would be right in the middle of a sentence and everything would drop, I would stop and have to try to remember what I was talking about or what I had wanted to say which was both embarrassing and upsetting. By the year end on this medication, the side effects completely overtook the benefits of this medication and I stopped."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I took celexa many years ago and when I stopped taking it I developed brain zaps a common side effect of withdrawal. After one month of quitting celexa I started hearing voices telling me to harm others. It got so bad that I started attacking people with a knife. I was arrested by the police. During trial I was found not criminally responsible (NCR). I was suffering from psychosis. I was sent to a secure hospital. I spent a year in there I saw the review board and they said I was a significant threat to the safety of the public because I told my doctor I felt like killing more people. "

Matthew GGG August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Okay I have been on celexa for about a week now. I'm currently working 6 days a week 9-10 hour shifts so I'm exhausted as it is. And I feel like I can't sleep and for the past two days I haven't been wanting to eat at all. Is this normal for this medicine. I'm on 20mg once a day?"

Aubie25 August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Made me feel like a zombie, sexual side effects, no interest in doing anything. I would never take this drug again."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I suffered from extreme panic attacks, lack of concentration, constant worry, and restlessness which led to a stint of sleep deprivation. I am currently 2 and a half weeks in and have gone through the gamut of side effects: increased anxiety, night sweats, tiredness and loss of sexual desire. But I can gladly say that these side effects are already seemingly disappearing and I CAN FOCUS AGAIN!!! It's amazing, my sense of humor isn't back yet as I am generally sarcastic which I am struggling hard with right now, but ultimately I can feel the drug working. My girlfriend doesn't think I'm completely insane (which is nice) and I feel like I am on the better side of the Celexa now."

JoeTurner August 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Mom was put on 10 mg. Then Dr. increased to 20 mg and her husband passed away and Dr. increased to 40 mg. She kept falling, blacking out, dizzy spells. I kept asking Dr. if it could be any of her medications and they said no. Then she started having signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's. On her first diagnosis she was diagnosed with advanced alz. We saw no signs or family history of Alz. You see that coming 4-5 years out. After fighting this for 4 months after diagnosis, I decided the only thing that was changed was adding Celexa, so I weened her off Celexa and in 3 weeks w had our Mom back from Alz, state that she was in."

Bet123 August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been taking this medication since I was 19 due to panic attacks, anxiety & dissociation that came from my brother being diagnosed with a terrible mental health disorder. Since taking it, It's worked like a charm, I'm now 25 and am still on the medication. This SSRI is so mild and gentle & I have 0 side effects. Please try this medication! My panic attacks are gone, my anxiety is minimal and my dissociation has disappeared. Please don't be ashamed to take something your brain may need. I'm now a Registered Nurse & I'm so calm and happy and have my life back from anxiety and panic. Please give this a try! Oh and I'm currently on 20mg. Also, remember there is always hope. Praying for everyone who reads this."

Thankfulforthis (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Postpartum Depression "Horrible experience. Couldn't differ between dreams and actuality. Unfortunately lost custody of my child while on this medication because the paternal grandparents convinced me to sign "insurance papers" which were actually custody papers. They knew what my mental state was at the time due to Celexa. I was very easily agitated and very delusional. At one point I thought my daughter had turned into a puppy. Another point, I thought I took a trip that was about an hour away and got back home within 5 minutes with no recollection of the trip back. These were actually dreams that I thought was happening in reality. I was in such a horrible mental state that I couldn't even tell that I wasn't myself, that I was delusional, or irrational."

Medviewanon July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Completely changed my life. I was having severe anxiety accompanied with frequent panic attacks and was feeling hopeless about improvement. First two weeks on Celexa were terrible, but I can't necessary attribute all symptoms as side effects because my anxiety was so bad it could have been that. I was waking up with night terrors, had extreme fatigue, dizziness, and dissociation. But then at some point I forgot about my anxiety and was living a normal life again. I started at 10 mg and went to 20 mg before coming back down to 10 mg due to improvement. After about 6 months I weaned off the drug completely and have only mild anxiety relapses currently."

BillBaggs99 July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Honestly doesn't do much for me. Still has big panic attacks. Still has bad anxiety."

Eiko (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I went thru a very difficult time being hurt at work,.I could have easily been killed. The company making moves to fire me cuz I costs them $ for my 'free medical ". Accident was another employee's negligence. Long story. Plus legal. etc etc With celexa, my anxiety , stress, depression levels became under control. I was able to return back to a resemblance of a human being Was at 40mg to start. Weaned down to 30mg. Then when legal became intense, 40mg. No good settlements in these cases but my sanity is returning. And coping better. Highly recommend. Side effect was being tired until my body adjusted. At least got covered by Workers Comp insurance. In Ca, that's a miracle because for injured parties, you're fortunate that insurance pays ."

jmcom111 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Experienced depressive symptoms lightly for years. Then over the past year when exposed to many life stressors because signficant in impairing my quality of life. Celexa has greatly improved my quality of life and most days I feel little to no depressive thoughts. I have been taking Celexa for 6 weeks. It also got rid of my anxiety (70-80% of it) and has improved my OCD symptoms a great deal. I started on 5 mg upping to 10mg"

MxMxM July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I remember a half a year ago reading these reviews and I was very eager to not feeling worthless anymore. The first month was bleh. Had bad diarrhea but slept great for once. But over time feelings of worthlessness and being overly fearful faded away. I started to slowly be able to get out of bed in the night (third shift) and be excited to go to work and engage people. Sadly, over time the anxiety seemed to have gotten worse. My sleeping also went back to its normal habits. They upped it to 40mg to no avail. Now I'm off cold turkey and the depression is hitting harder than it has ever. Wish I could get back on it. It was a literal life saver."

Great for depression (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I started taking this after increased anxiety/panic/depersonalization/derealization after starting a birth control pill (BeYaz).. Celexa has helped my symptoms but I stopped taking my birth control and it has made a WORLD of a difference in my mood. My anxiety and panic are almost gone.. I've only been on Celexa for 1 month.. and I stopped my birth control 2-3 weeks ago.. Please check into your birth control. I've NEVER had depression in my life but after starting the birth control I had CONSTANT crying spells, anxiety, panic, etc. Celexa is helping but I think this was all caused by the birth control. Please be careful!!"

linds00000000000000000000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "not sure if it did anything"

katzy June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I started out on 10mg of Celexa, nothing happened. When I got to 20mg, I started feeling sick (I felt like I was going to vomit all the time) and irritated. Once I got to 40mg, I began to feel impulsive and wired. I could barely sleep and I was doing risky things; even my friends said I wasn't myself! I got put on Neurontin after this, I'm glad I switched."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Please try!!!!! I was like you reading these reviews scared to death to start taking this drug. I am so glad I did. The first 2 weeks I felt Iike I was pregnant. Nauseous and sleepy. After that I just gradually started feeling better. Anxiety has gone and life is on the up and up. I should have taken this 20 years ago. All the worries sort of just fade away. Good luck and please give it a shot!"

Mag pie June 10, 2017